In Bruges

8.8

1. Oct 15, 2011
    Colin Farrell throws in a unforgettably arrogant but funny performance with great support from Brendan Gleeson in the sly but direct black-comedy "In Bruges". Its a must watch for those who ponder about the meaning of life.
  2. WepmajoE
    Mar 24, 2009
    Perfect from start to finish. The dry sometimes extremely dark humor shoots your funny bone as the dramatic scenes shoot through your nerves. Great performances all around, beautiful locales, excellent pacing. By far the best movie of last year.
  3. JamieB.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Best film of 2008 so far. This superb film has an incredibly complex message about the power of violence and nonviolence, and layers of depth which many critics seem to miss (did they noticed Chloe's speech "homage is too strong a word" compares the movie within a movie to Don't Look Now, the movie of which In Bruges itself is a pastiche). It's also hilarious.
  4. Ogest
    Jul 22, 2008
    It wasn't what I expected. And that's why I give it 9. I was freaking surprised after this movie. It was genius. Very good dialogues, beautiful scenery, dark humor, interesting plot. Definetely a must see, especially now when there are not that much good dvds to rent.
  5. RobertM.
    Feb 17, 2008
    In Bruges is a superb morality play set in a very dark comedy. The pace is fast, the dialogue crisp (if a bit too profane) and the actors timing is on the money.
  6. Gary
    Feb 17, 2008
    Excellent movie. Engaging, well-acted, written, and directed, with an oddly transcendent feel.
  7. NigelH.
    May 2, 2008
    One of the best films I've ever seen. Not only are there some great jokes, but it also makes you think about some important issues; should murderers be allowed a chance for redemption? How strong are your principals? McDonagh is, in my opinion the best living playwright, and this film demonstrates that he is as talented writer for screen as for stage. Fecking brilliant.
  8. Feb 27, 2011
    Truly genius! The acting, the dialogue, the humor, the story, the music - it's just great. This is, surely, one of the best films of the decade. And, damn it, why it is so underrated - only 64%, its ridicules. Some people just cant understand it.
  9. Apr 19, 2012
    The film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners gives the film its epic touch. Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson are perfect in their roles. Can't think of anything that goes wrong. Masterpiece!
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    What happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, thereWhat happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, there are people who would go into this with its rating, categories and summery and be utterly flabbergasted at what they just saw. I can only imagine these same viewers renting Backdoor Sluts 9 and finding themselves perplexed as to why they are watching a bunch of whores getting rammed in the rear. Dear reader, if you are not a prissy princess with the mental IQ of a pile of rotting monkey balls, you might actually enjoy In Bruges. If on the other hand you are currently suffering from butthurtitis, red in the face and about to punch your monitor after reading my review, I kindly ask that you suck on my nuts. Expand
  11. JaredC.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Two thumbs up for In Bruges.
  12. JanO.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Fine script, good acting, Farrell as a bad guy, solid crew. But ending is over-egged (rating - 9/10 or even 10/10 without ending; in this case - solid 8!) Recommended!
  13. Dec 24, 2012
    There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all,There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all, a very enjoyable film with some laughs, excellent cinematography and some great performances Expand
  14. Oct 11, 2010
    Certainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timelessCertainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timeless masterpiece
    And in one word "Everything Is In Right Place"
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    In Bruges is a phenomenal film. It's unbelievably funny, smart, touching and exciting. Basically speaking, this movie is possibly the best British gangster movie ever made... Oh and Bruges is beautifully shot, too.
  16. Feb 19, 2011
    What a surprising movie! You are getting the impression that almost nothing happen in the first half, but the action increase more and more till the end. A very well played scenario, especially by Brendan Gleeson. The dramatic-comic situation are were wisely place during the plot. All in all, it is a move it is worth to see.
  17. Apr 13, 2011
    Funny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was anFunny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was an assured and engaging film. Expand
  18. Jan 22, 2014
    A dark comedy drama a large part of the success of In Bruges can be put down to the witty script and the two central performances from Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, as well as a cameo from Ralph Fiennes, who manage to keep things grounded even when events start to take a turn towards the absurd. The wholly original setting only adds to the movie making for an enjoyable watch.
  19. Jul 11, 2013
    In Bruges tackles all the issues that a typical comedy offers, an out if the comfort zone setting, an unlikely alliance, romance and of course thrills, but it also offers much more with a clever script very dark humour and an unpredictable story that keeps on giving.
    The Irish duo of powerhouse talents Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson star as two bungling hitmen, Ray and Ken, are sent to Bruges to lay low for a while after a job goes wrong, Ken loves the chance to do all the tourist things, Ray is a more live wire character than his older counterpart, wanting to get right back into jobs. On the phone line is Harry (Ralph Fiennes) who is updating the two on the situation, as he is their employer he keeps them informed for when they can return to England.
    The film takes a twisted yet hilarious look at what is right in front of you in an unorthodox way, the humour, when you think it is finished, keeps on rolling out the obscene remarks and jokes. The highlights of the film come from the realistic and situational approach. It offers very different insights into certain film scenarios,such as shoot outs and the typical bad guy. The film turns most of these on their head and offers this perhaps generational approach, like how grown up films should perhaps become.
    Brendan Gleeson is quite the calm and relaxed gentle giant of the show, is demeanour counteracts the energetic one of Farrell, whose character continuously spits out his distaste for being in Bruges and how he finds and sees everyrhing in a homosexual manner, the politest way to say it.
    In terms of the tone, it never settles for second best, when it wants to tell a very funny joke are put across a hilarious situation, it does so without holding and punches, but when it wants to put a message of despair and emotion, it again delivers the goods without fail, showing the capabilities that Martin McDonagh possesses in story-telling but also reaching out to the audience. Many moment this film will indeed make you laugh in hysterics, but the quieter and closer moments will bring back down to reality.
    An excellent and varied film with a taste for all sorts of genres, giving different nods to previous films and also promoting a witty script and some powerful performances.
  20. Sep 3, 2014
    A clever look into the lives of hitmen... in Bruges! Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are both funny and convincing. In Bruges is black comedy gold. Another hit for Martin McDonagh.
  21. Dec 16, 2013
    This movie was generally underrated by the critics. This is just a fantastic movie with amazing script, acting, setting, cinematography, everything.

Brilliant.
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    In Bruges is a perfect blend of comedy, action and drama. It has moments that are out right hilarious as well as extremely shocking moments. The entire cast is brilliant especially Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's a must see film.
  23. Jan 23, 2014
    Colin Farrell was absolutely fantastic in this great blend of black comedy and crime/thriller. Truly gut wrenching and heartfelt, this one was a great watch. Riveting and engrossing from the get go, it really pulls you in and makes you invested in the characters quickly. I came into this expecting it to be a bit like Snatch in the way it was done and since I did not care for that one, IColin Farrell was absolutely fantastic in this great blend of black comedy and crime/thriller. Truly gut wrenching and heartfelt, this one was a great watch. Riveting and engrossing from the get go, it really pulls you in and makes you invested in the characters quickly. I came into this expecting it to be a bit like Snatch in the way it was done and since I did not care for that one, I was afraid, but I am glad I watched it anyways, because it wasn't like that at all. Really good film. Expand
  24. May 29, 2014
    I absolutely love this film, easily the best crime/comedy/drama ive seen since the sensational "Pulp Fiction", full to the brim with some of the most absurd moments in film that ive ever seen.
    its also very #deep

25. Nov 28, 2012
    "In Bruges" is a dark, sardonic, and intriguing dramedy, featuring excellent performances from its three top-billed actors.
  26. Dec 30, 2013
    Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
    Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
    I think this because most of them are funny, but the good jokes aren't exactly black. For example in the mediocre 2013 film The Family all of the jokes that I laughed out loud at were reasonably upbeat or dark but not black. This can be found in many other black (I might start renaming them bleak just for literal accuracy) comedies like Thank You For Smoking, The Men Who Stare At Goats and Fargo.
    In Bruges is an exception it has a mix of black and upbeat jokes and all of them are hilarious. Whether there about dwarves, elephants, gay beers or cupboards. Every second is hysterical. But every second is also very exciting, somehow I was even interested when Ray and Ken were discussing who's allowed to shoot themselves. Even classics like The Naked Gun and Office Space get a bit slow moving in places, this doesn't.
    That was a great achievement and surprised me, but the most amazing thing about the writing and direction of In Bruges is that somehow Martin McDonagh makes the viewer care about the characters. Colin Farrell is a child murderer and should be one of the least likable little in movie history. Yet somehow I was constantly rooting for him in the last 30 minutes and almost cried when he was talking to his dying partner in crime. Ralph Fiennes character Harry is even worse! And I was almost crying for him too! Hell I was almost crying at the death of a cocaine snorting, prostitute client midget. Never would you expect to find a black comedy about murder and Belgium more emotional than The Green Mile and Marley and Me put together. It totally took me by surprise.
    In Bruges is definitely one of my favorite movies of the last decade and extremely entertaining, I strongly recommend it as long as you are prepared for the amazing overuse of the word
  27. Feb 6, 2014
    A great set of actors doing some very ... interesting things. It's not exactly a "sit down with your parents and bond" thing so much as it's just very funny. It's a very dark humor, and honestly a little predictable, but it doesn't try to be anything more than it is.
  28. Jul 1, 2014
    A gleefully dark and morbid comedy with spectacular trio Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, and Colin Farrell, who gives perhaps his most complicated performance to date, as a guilt-ridden assassin trying to reason with his actions, Ken as the calm mentor comforting him, and Harry, their psychotic boss with contradicting morals. It's sad, funny, and meaningful. Hell, it's close to 'Fargo'
  29. Dec 1, 2013
    This one surprised me. A good, if depressing, film. Well acted and well written. I'm not a big fan of Colin Farrell but he nails it in this one. Too bad it slipped under the radar. Then again, this is not a feel good film with white washed dialog so it may not be your cup of java.
  30. Jan 8, 2014
    Truly exceptional. McDonagh outdid himself with this masterpiece. Great acting from Farrell and Geeson and a superb script by McDonagh. One of the best films i have seen this year so far

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.