8.5

1. Oct 15, 2011
    Colin Farrell throws in a unforgettably arrogant but funny performance with great support from Brendan Gleeson in the sly but direct black-comedy "In Bruges". Its a must watch for those who ponder about the meaning of life.
  2. Sep 3, 2010
    Two hitmen are sent to Bruges to "get out of the way" for a couple of weeks.
    It reminded me of a sort Father Ted doing hitmen for the first part of the film then it gets a bit darker.
    Some great one liners & good performances all round.
    Never been to Bruges but looks absolutely beautiful.
  3. Dec 24, 2012
    There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all, a very enjoyable film with some laughs, excellent cinematography and some great performances Expand
  4. Oct 11, 2010
    Certainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timeless masterpiece
    And in one word "Everything Is In Right Place"
  5. Feb 27, 2011
    Truly genius! The acting, the dialogue, the humor, the story, the music - it's just great. This is, surely, one of the best films of the decade. And, damn it, why it is so underrated - only 64%, its ridicules. Some people just cant understand it.
  6. Dec 2, 2012
    In Bruges is a phenomenal film. It's unbelievably funny, smart, touching and exciting. Basically speaking, this movie is possibly the best British gangster movie ever made... Oh and Bruges is beautifully shot, too.
  7. Feb 19, 2011
    What a surprising movie! You are getting the impression that almost nothing happen in the first half, but the action increase more and more till the end. A very well played scenario, especially by Brendan Gleeson. The dramatic-comic situation are were wisely place during the plot. All in all, it is a move it is worth to see.
  8. Apr 13, 2011
    Funny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was an assured and engaging film. Expand
  9. Jan 22, 2014
    A dark comedy drama a large part of the success of In Bruges can be put down to the witty script and the two central performances from Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, as well as a cameo from Ralph Fiennes, who manage to keep things grounded even when events start to take a turn towards the absurd. The wholly original setting only adds to the movie making for an enjoyable watch.
  10. Jul 11, 2013
    In Bruges tackles all the issues that a typical comedy offers, an out if the comfort zone setting, an unlikely alliance, romance and of course thrills, but it also offers much more with a clever script very dark humour and an unpredictable story that keeps on giving.
    The Irish duo of powerhouse talents Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson star as two bungling hitmen, Ray and Ken, are sent to
    Bruges to lay low for a while after a job goes wrong, Ken loves the chance to do all the tourist things, Ray is a more live wire character than his older counterpart, wanting to get right back into jobs. On the phone line is Harry (Ralph Fiennes) who is updating the two on the situation, as he is their employer he keeps them informed for when they can return to England.
    The film takes a twisted yet hilarious look at what is right in front of you in an unorthodox way, the humour, when you think it is finished, keeps on rolling out the obscene remarks and jokes. The highlights of the film come from the realistic and situational approach. It offers very different insights into certain film scenarios,such as shoot outs and the typical bad guy. The film turns most of these on their head and offers this perhaps generational approach, like how grown up films should perhaps become.
    Brendan Gleeson is quite the calm and relaxed gentle giant of the show, is demeanour counteracts the energetic one of Farrell, whose character continuously spits out his distaste for being in Bruges and how he finds and sees everyrhing in a homosexual manner, the politest way to say it.
    In terms of the tone, it never settles for second best, when it wants to tell a very funny joke are put across a hilarious situation, it does so without holding and punches, but when it wants to put a message of despair and emotion, it again delivers the goods without fail, showing the capabilities that Martin McDonagh possesses in story-telling but also reaching out to the audience. Many moment this film will indeed make you laugh in hysterics, but the quieter and closer moments will bring back down to reality.
    An excellent and varied film with a taste for all sorts of genres, giving different nods to previous films and also promoting a witty script and some powerful performances.
  11. Apr 19, 2012
    The film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners gives the film its epic touch. Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson are perfect in their roles. Can't think of anything that goes wrong. Masterpiece!
  12. Dec 16, 2013
    This movie was generally underrated by the critics. This is just a fantastic movie with amazing script, acting, setting, cinematography, everything.

Brilliant.
  13. Jul 26, 2013
    In Bruges is a perfect blend of comedy, action and drama. It has moments that are out right hilarious as well as extremely shocking moments. The entire cast is brilliant especially Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's a must see film.
  14. Jan 23, 2014
    Colin Farrell was absolutely fantastic in this great blend of black comedy and crime/thriller. Truly gut wrenching and heartfelt, this one was a great watch. Riveting and engrossing from the get go, it really pulls you in and makes you invested in the characters quickly. I came into this expecting it to be a bit like Snatch in the way it was done and since I did not care for that one, I was afraid, but I am glad I watched it anyways, because it wasn't like that at all. Really good film. Expand
  15. Feb 15, 2014
    Fantastic film, Basically a British Dark Comedy that feels like a deeper more complected version of Pulp Fiction that focus more on the mental state of the characters instead of being a series of events that the characters participate in.

In Bruges is a fantastic film the cons over way the negatives, only negative being the fact that sometimes the dialog can be cringe worth, yet still
    believable

9/10, more like 9.5 out of ten i really enjoyed the film, pasting can be slow but the great characters seemed to always keep me entertained
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    "In Bruges" is a dark, sardonic, and intriguing dramedy, featuring excellent performances from its three top-billed actors.
  17. Dec 30, 2013
    Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
    I think this because most of them are funny, but the good jokes aren't exactly black. For example in the mediocre 2013 film The Family all of the jokes that I laughed out loud at were reasonably upbeat or dark but not black. This can be found in many other black (I might start renaming them bleak just for literal accuracy) comedies like Thank You
    For Smoking, The Men Who Stare At Goats and Fargo.
    In Bruges is an exception it has a mix of black and upbeat jokes and all of them are hilarious. Whether there about dwarves, elephants, gay beers or cupboards. Every second is hysterical. But every second is also very exciting, somehow I was even interested when Ray and Ken were discussing who's allowed to shoot themselves. Even classics like The Naked Gun and Office Space get a bit slow moving in places, this doesn't.
    That was a great achievement and surprised me, but the most amazing thing about the writing and direction of In Bruges is that somehow Martin McDonagh makes the viewer care about the characters. Colin Farrell is a child murderer and should be one of the least likable little in movie history. Yet somehow I was constantly rooting for him in the last 30 minutes and almost cried when he was talking to his dying partner in crime. Ralph Fiennes character Harry is even worse! And I was almost crying for him too! Hell I was almost crying at the death of a cocaine snorting, prostitute client midget. Never would you expect to find a black comedy about murder and Belgium more emotional than The Green Mile and Marley and Me put together. It totally took me by surprise.
    In Bruges is definitely one of my favorite movies of the last decade and extremely entertaining, I strongly recommend it as long as you are prepared for the amazing overuse of the word
  18. Nov 11, 2013
    What happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, there are people who would go into this with its rating, categories and summery and be utterly flabbergasted at what they just saw. I can only imagine these same viewers renting Backdoor Sluts 9 and finding themselves perplexed as to why they are watching a bunch of whores getting rammed in the rear. Dear reader, if you are not a prissy princess with the mental IQ of a pile of rotting monkey balls, you might actually enjoy In Bruges. If on the other hand you are currently suffering from butthurtitis, red in the face and about to punch your monitor after reading my review, I kindly ask that you suck on my nuts. Expand
  19. Feb 6, 2014
    A great set of actors doing some very ... interesting things. It's not exactly a "sit down with your parents and bond" thing so much as it's just very funny. It's a very dark humor, and honestly a little predictable, but it doesn't try to be anything more than it is.
  20. Dec 1, 2013
    This one surprised me. A good, if depressing, film. Well acted and well written. I'm not a big fan of Colin Farrell but he nails it in this one. Too bad it slipped under the radar. Then again, this is not a feel good film with white washed dialog so it may not be your cup of java.
  21. Jan 8, 2014
    Truly exceptional. McDonagh outdid himself with this masterpiece. Great acting from Farrell and Geeson and a superb script by McDonagh. One of the best films i have seen this year so far

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.