6.9

1. AndrewL
    Oct 21, 2005
    Bravo! Worth the ticket price, sure it's a chickish flick but it flowed well with touching moments that can even make grown men cry. The portions with the blind professor are near brilliant. While not the very best movie of the year, it ranks in my top ten I've seen in 2005.
  2. Reggie
    Oct 9, 2005
    Chick Flick Alert Guys.
  3. CherS
    Nov 4, 2005
    Yes! Don't drink a large Pepsi, cause you won't want to miss any of this movie. It is funny, and delightful, and fresh, and amusing. The senior community will see themselves as grandma's neighbors, and the rest of us imagine us visiting there. I love the bikini at the senior's pool scene. Just open up your heart and let our a good sigh!
  4. WayneB.
    Nov 6, 2005
    Another formulaic, paint-by-numbers Hollywood overdeveloped movie with flat, formulaic characters and numerous button-pushing scenes. The dog was the only genuine character.
  5. DianeMariaB.
    Oct 10, 2005
    I loved the movie and thought that Cameron Diaz was surprisingly good in it.
  6. JeanS.
    Corny and unbelievable.
  7. Harry
    Oct 19, 2005
    I lost a bet to my main squeeze and to endure this chick flick. Everything was predictable. Why do you chicks find these kind of stories enlightening? Give me an action movie any time.
  8. nicka
    Sep 9, 2006
    Okay for some this might be a chick flick but what
  9. ThomasM.
    Oct 12, 2005
    Wonderful! Alas, again and again, you will hear this refered to by that over-used and insulting moniker, "chick-flick"--but unless you have more testosterone than cerebral fluid, and a greater appreciation for flatulence than feeling, this film should appeal to both sexes in equal measure. One of the best films of the year.
  10. KatyL
    Oct 13, 2005
    This is pretty much a chick flick but with much more depth, interest, and novelty than many of the formulaic chick movies that come out. The three leading actresses all did wonderful jobs, and all of their characters had such delicious and meaningful layers. Diaz isn't just the carefree, hedonistic blonde she comes off as in the previews. Collette isn't more than the This is pretty much a chick flick but with much more depth, interest, and novelty than many of the formulaic chick movies that come out. The three leading actresses all did wonderful jobs, and all of their characters had such delicious and meaningful layers. Diaz isn't just the carefree, hedonistic blonde she comes off as in the previews. Collette isn't more than the overachieving, repressed ninny that SHE comes off as in the previews. The characters from the retirement community were a wonderful and sweet and funny surprise. Expand
  11. MarkB.
    Oct 15, 2005
    What IS it about women and shoes, anyway? One of the many reasons I'm eternally grateful for my gender is that no male-dominated profession (with the obvious exception of female impersonators) requires that its practitioners get through each and every work day trying to balance themselves on wobbly, tight, pinchy high-heels. So unlike Maggie (Cameron Diaz), I have no problem with her What IS it about women and shoes, anyway? One of the many reasons I'm eternally grateful for my gender is that no male-dominated profession (with the obvious exception of female impersonators) requires that its practitioners get through each and every work day trying to balance themselves on wobbly, tight, pinchy high-heels. So unlike Maggie (Cameron Diaz), I have no problem with her sister Rose (Toni Collette) purchasing dozens of those pretty little torture devices and then just leaving them in her closet to gaze at admiringly; that's about as practical a use for them as it gets. I suspect that In Her Shoes (the movie) will have about as much appeal for many male moviegoers as wearing a pair of lipstick red pumps to the construction site (and I highly suspect that the controversial poster image of Diaz in sexy attire--but no Collette--is a deliberate marketing calculation to prevent husbands and boyfriends from gripping banisters and doorknobs quite as tightly when their significant others drag them off to this)--but most viewers of either gender who are up for an intelligent, insightful and entertaining comedy-drama should have nothing whatsoever to worry about. It's curious but true that some of the best so-called "women's pictures" of all time were made by male directors with otherwise testosterone-laden resumes: Raoul Walsh with The Man I Love, Martin Scorsese with Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, and of course James (The Terminator) Cameron with a little historical romance about a big boat that made an even bigger splash. Curtis Hanson (who made such memorable macho fare as L. A. Confidential and Eminem's 8 Mile, and even tried to turn Meryl Streep into an action hero in The River Wild) joins them; he directs this adaptation of Jennifer Weiner's book about sisterly forgiveness and acceptance with empathy and taste, getting the most out of the material without milking it to death (and when part of said material involves lovably horny old codgers in a Florida retirement community, restraint is no small achievement!) Maggie introduces us to herself bringing a drunken restroom-stall sexual encounter to an abrupt close by throwing up all over herself (and trust me, that's not the worst act she commits in the course of this movie!) ; her conservative, comparatively uptight sister Rose is so insecure about men that she actually photographs the handsome one she spent the night with to prove she actually did. It doesn't take Fellini or Freud to figure out that the sisters' identical shoe size represents their equal need for self esteem; as they learn to love themselves, they can begin to love other people, including--finally and most importantly--each other. Collette (Muriel's Wedding, The Sixth Sense) is, as always, so intelligent, witty and appealing that anyone who DOESN'T find her enormously attractive had to have had their taste removed along with their tonsils in early childhood; Shirley MacLaine is, not surprisingly, the perfect blend of compassion and practicality as a long lost relative and the fulcrum for many of the sisters' changes, and Diaz, as a slutty, seemingly amoral screw-up, proves again that there's far more to her than meets the eye. She's always been at her best when working AGAINST her natural beauty (Being John Malkovich of course immediately comes to mind, but so does her endearingly terrible karaoke singing in My Best Friend's Wedding, which of course made her fiance and the audience love her even more); despite her "postage-stamp-sized" attire through much of this film, Diaz courageously makes Maggie as physically unattractive as possible throughout; she doesn't really allow the character to become truly pretty until she makes a life-changing discovery more than midway through. In Her Shoes may not quite match such all-time greats of its genre as Dark Victory, Imitation of Life or Terms of Endearment, but it comes darn close; it's interesting to note that the term "chick flick" officially entered the dictionary last week at almost the precise time that such a good example of one hit theaters. But again, guys, don't be put off by that description (or by fellow poster Reggie's warning); despite which chromosomes you were born with, In Her Shoes should prove to be a perfect fit! Expand
  12. WilliamF.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Great Performances. Touching story. "You'll laugh. You'll cry." Toni Collette (Muriel's Wedding, About A Boy) is fantastic. This movie provides important "lilfe lessons" with humor and style. Go see this movie.
  13. JoanV.
    Oct 8, 2005
    If you've ever experienced loss of a parent or spouse, this movie will resonate and feel more real. The first scene seems over the top, but the movie quickly pulls you in to the rhythms of the unresolved relationship between two sisters trying to come to terms with early tragedy in their lives. Not at all a downer, it's absorbing, very funny and uplifting. And best of all, you If you've ever experienced loss of a parent or spouse, this movie will resonate and feel more real. The first scene seems over the top, but the movie quickly pulls you in to the rhythms of the unresolved relationship between two sisters trying to come to terms with early tragedy in their lives. Not at all a downer, it's absorbing, very funny and uplifting. And best of all, you never quite know where it is going. Very refreshing compared to predictable Hollywood fare; feels like an independent film, but with top-notch actors and production values. Expand
  14. FrankO.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Plot dragged in the beginning but picked up in Florida, got emotionally hooked at the end. Definitely a "chick" flick.
  15. KenG
    Sep 25, 2006
    One of the most annoying chick flicks we've had in awhile. I'm a guy, but I enjoy well done "chick flicks" like "Ghost" and "Working girl", and others. But this was hardly well done. In the early part of movie neither Diaz nor Collette comes off as a complete person. Diaz is the irresponsible, insensitive sister. Collette is the drab, dull one (who apparently never had a "real" One of the most annoying chick flicks we've had in awhile. I'm a guy, but I enjoy well done "chick flicks" like "Ghost" and "Working girl", and others. But this was hardly well done. In the early part of movie neither Diaz nor Collette comes off as a complete person. Diaz is the irresponsible, insensitive sister. Collette is the drab, dull one (who apparently never had a "real" boyfriend before the one she gets in the film, despite the fact that she's in her 30"s, so I'm assuming there's this whole lesbian past movie isn't telling us about). Diaz learns how to be a responsible, caring grown-up, who knows what's really important, and Collette learns how to be true to herself, and have fun. Diaz goes from a somewhat interesting character, into a dull one. Collette starts of as a dull, drab one, and never becomes interesting. Throw in the fact that MacLaine is the guilt-ridden grandmother, determined to strengthen Diaz out, and you're wondering couldn't filmmakers have thrown all these clichés into one character. Still, their is nothing wrong with Collette's to good to be true boyfriend, other then the complete lack of a personality. (Did they really get engaged after about three dates. It certainly felt that way) Expand
  16. MatthewL.
    Oct 12, 2005
    Lots of fun and well acted. Not Movie of the Year, but undeniably well made.
  17. JenX
    Oct 16, 2005
    It's a great movie. Funny, moving and smart. Not perfect, but way better than most movies and coming from a sincere place. If you have lost someone and you will relate to the characters.
  18. ClintM.
    Oct 19, 2005
    A good movie all around. Toni Collette is amazing in everything she does. And Cameron Diaz proves there's more to her acting ability than *Charlie's Angels* would have us to believe. This is in no way a chick-flick only movie. I completely enjoyed it ... and I'm a guy. (Albeit a gay one!)
  19. DWilly
    Oct 23, 2005
    Girls might like this, but then most women would surrender to any film that simply put the words "Someone is getting married." up on the screen. Guys, on the other hand, may leave this movie with their eyes strained from all the rolling. The women performers are very good, the men borderline terrible (its a mystery why Curtis Hanson would hire these maniquins). I wouldn't mind glossy Girls might like this, but then most women would surrender to any film that simply put the words "Someone is getting married." up on the screen. Guys, on the other hand, may leave this movie with their eyes strained from all the rolling. The women performers are very good, the men borderline terrible (its a mystery why Curtis Hanson would hire these maniquins). I wouldn't mind glossy claptrap so much except that here it wants to touch on subjects like suicide and some true evils in family politics. Expand
  20. MartineI.
    Mar 23, 2006
    This film thoroughly suprised me ('made do' with it on a long flight). It is all too easy to just dismiss as a 'chick flick' but this tag misses the tenderness and poignancy that comes through in the telling of this story. A stellar cast and fine acting raises it well above the norm. Possibly the finest use of an e e cummings poem you may ever come across. One for the This film thoroughly suprised me ('made do' with it on a long flight). It is all too easy to just dismiss as a 'chick flick' but this tag misses the tenderness and poignancy that comes through in the telling of this story. A stellar cast and fine acting raises it well above the norm. Possibly the finest use of an e e cummings poem you may ever come across. One for the girls undoubtedly, but secretly the boys could love this too. Expand

1. When superb craftsmanship, discipline, and risk-taking (toning down Diaz and MacLaine; treating Collette as a desirous leading lady) are applied to accessible, even frivolous material, the results can be deeply pleasurable. In Her Shoes isn’t a masterpiece, but it’s the best Saturday-night movie millions of people are going to go to.
    Artificial in both its dialogue and its construction, the film only works - on those occasions when it works - because of the sincere performance by the underrated Toni Collette.
  3. Director Curtis Hanson has made a chick flick with substance as well as style.