In the Land of Blood and Honey

3.2

1. Dec 29, 2011
    This movie is intelligent, strongly executed, well-crafted, intense, graphic, and compelling. It is one of the best movies of the year. Jolie did an excellent job for a first time director. I will write a more detailed review later. She was brave for tackling this controversial subject. It is from the victim's point of view and should be viewed circumstantially instead of taking any sidesThis movie is intelligent, strongly executed, well-crafted, intense, graphic, and compelling. It is one of the best movies of the year. Jolie did an excellent job for a first time director. I will write a more detailed review later. She was brave for tackling this controversial subject. It is from the victim's point of view and should be viewed circumstantially instead of taking any sides politically or religiously. Zana Marjanovic gives an Oscar-worthy performance. It was so heartbreaking. I was horrified, moved, saddened, and even enlightened at times. It was such a powerful and thought-provoking experience. God bless those people affected by the Bosnian War. It also sheds a light on rape was used as weapon in war. It shines a light on atrocities and brings awareness. I decided to contribute to relief efforts in Bosnia and Yugoslavia after watching this film. This is a fine achievement and should be critically acclaimed especially when compared to fluff like The Artist which got high reviews and is incosequential in comparison. This is the type of movie that could have done well at Cannes. It is a shame she has to overcome media corruption, personal misconceptions, and slander. The nasty comments on Rottentomatoes was really upsetting. Plenty of users gave excellent reviews but the site is just displaying two inflammatory post from her haters who believe lies about her and those type of comments shouldn't even be allowed. You could tell some people were just flaming her and have not seen the film. She is NOT a homewrecker and that bs shouldn't even brought into discussion of the movie anyway. No other actress has to deal with that. That lawsuit had no legitimacy and was based on a false, far-fetched claim
    but now you have Fanistons bombarding Rottentomatoes & other sites with ugly attacks that have no basis in truth. Those inflammatory comments should not be allowed on that site. I also want to make note of the fact that Peter Travers review for Rolling Stone was labeled positive here but gotten a rotten rating on the tomatometer. He or the other site needs to fix that. The Salon review was also positive here and labeled rotten on the tomatometer. There is a discrepancy. The rottentomatoes site needs to fix this asap! I really hope by 2012, the ratings will be higher, at around 60% on both sites.
  2. Dec 23, 2011
    I shows the war for what it was and glosses over nothing, the cast are fantastic and for a first directorial debut Jolie has done a fantastic job. Sure the love story does get a bit bogged down within the torture being shown but the war is more than a backdrop for the movie, it is its own character.
  3. Feb 12, 2012
    Excellent movie, great cast, true story abut bloody aggression on Bosnia; some people can't stand a truth and would greatly dislike this movie, which should not be any proof on quality of the movie itself. Worth of viewing.
  4. Feb 28, 2012
    Ignore all the negative user reviews, most of them are made by ultra nationalists Serbs that are full of hate. This movie realistically pictures war crimes done by Serbs in Bosnian war. THESE CRIMES HAPPENED and whoever denies that is no better than people who deny holocaust. Sure directing could be better but this is Angie's first movie and she did a great job for a first one. As someoneIgnore all the negative user reviews, most of them are made by ultra nationalists Serbs that are full of hate. This movie realistically pictures war crimes done by Serbs in Bosnian war. THESE CRIMES HAPPENED and whoever denies that is no better than people who deny holocaust. Sure directing could be better but this is Angie's first movie and she did a great job for a first one. As someone who lived on Bosnia during the war (and I still live here) I am surprised with level of Realistic details that are put together in this film. Thank you Angie for caring. A solid 7. Expand
  5. Dec 25, 2011
    A startling, engrossing, unflinching war drama that is well executed and well acted. If you didn't know who was behind it you'd never guess that it was by a first time director. It can stand alongside other war dramas like The Pianist.
  6. Feb 19, 2012
    I just looked at Angelina's film "In the Land of Blood and Honey" and I can say that the movie is fantastic. Well done Angie, you said everything the way it is ... The international community did nothing to stop genocide and ethnic cleansing, about how the war started, not to mention ... smart and educated people know the truth. As for the rape scene, I was frankly a lot of throwing upI just looked at Angelina's film "In the Land of Blood and Honey" and I can say that the movie is fantastic. Well done Angie, you said everything the way it is ... The international community did nothing to stop genocide and ethnic cleansing, about how the war started, not to mention ... smart and educated people know the truth. As for the rape scene, I was frankly a lot of throwing up babies from six months through the window because she was crying ... The film should look at all those who have passed the war, and especially those who speak of him and discussed, and it did not feel any trace. Congratulations to Angie debut on my behalf and on behalf of all my citizens of Sarajevo! "Unlike a number of smart, who will speak to these days or you do not need to go see a movie, I'll tell you - look at their eyes, hear with their ears. If you do not know whether it was indeed shown that - I'll tell you, the first person singular, is - everything I saw and experienced his eyes. to you to accept the truth or to entertain false hopes that we do not live in the land of blood and honey ... it hurts, tough, arduous and at times nauseating movie . But even we were on holiday from 92-95. However, some are. and they especially do not recommend the movie because they will be increased pressure and will say - peace, peace, no one to blame. Until next time .... " Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2012
    Angelina chose the wrong direction to be 'madeâ
  8. Feb 17, 2012
    It shows the war for what it was and glosses over nothing, the cast are fantastic and for a first directorial debut Jolie has done a fantastic job. Sure the love story does get a bit bogged down within the torture being shown but the war is more than a backdrop for the movie, it is its own character.
  9. Feb 21, 2012
    I think the background of the story is something well-informed people should be aware of. This was another Holocaust, although of a smaller scale. I love the fact that Angelina Jolie chose such a serious topic for her directorial and writing efforts. Kudos to her.
  10. Jun 2, 2012
    For all the nimrods on here giving this film a 0 or 1 for apparent political reasons, it is not a damn documentary. This is a very watchable film. It is long, but holds your interest. This comes from a viewer that is not a fan of foreign films, simply because I grow tired of reading. Anyway, please refrain from downgrading a film to make some sort of misplaced political comment.
  11. Sep 24, 2013
    I was personally really touched by Angelina's movie, and to me the first 30 minutes of the movie seemed dense and intense. After the first 30 minutes the movie becomes a little tenacious. I understand that some people acuse Angelina to be biased for the benefit of the muslims, but she tried showing both sides. Perhaps it was her intention to emphasize the sorrow of the muslims especiallyI was personally really touched by Angelina's movie, and to me the first 30 minutes of the movie seemed dense and intense. After the first 30 minutes the movie becomes a little tenacious. I understand that some people acuse Angelina to be biased for the benefit of the muslims, but she tried showing both sides. Perhaps it was her intention to emphasize the sorrow of the muslims especially the women's. This is also a point I really like about the movie, that it focuses on women. In some reviews it sais that the violence scenes in the movie are too intense. I do not doubt that the real occurence was less violent, it could have been even worse, so don't blame Angelina for beeing realistic at least in this point. Overmore I don't think someone would have ever complained about that if she wasn't an feminin actress.
    Now comes a point that I missed in her movie: although the movie starts from a womens perspective, the main character seems to be Danijel. The spectator has much more chances to identificate himself with him, because he expresses his feelings and the spectator can observe his development. There are many situations in the movie, were I expected Ajla to express her feelings and to tell the spectator her view of the things. But she remains somekind of unaltered throughout the movie. This is a pitty, as Angelina had the chance to show a woman, who really sufferd, not only as a victim but also as a person that still has the freedom to cope with her situation.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Feb 3, 2012
    With its broad strokes, this invitation to an important discussion is hard to ignore, but the blood and honey on the table is an unpalatable mix.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Jan 19, 2012
    The bloody narrative has an oddly bloodless effect. But that's not surprising – not when a film is so eager to double as a lecture.
  3. Reviewed by: Ann Hornaday
    Jan 12, 2012
    If viewers are left feeling just as impotent as many of the characters, that may be precisely what Jolie intended for a film that asks nothing more of its audience than to bear witness.