IFC Films | Release Date: July 24, 2009
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 96 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MikeWAug 9, 2009
Went with 6 people. We all hated this movie, walked out in the middle and got our money back. The reviewers presented on this website must have seen a different movie than we did.
0 of 2 users found this helpful
T.M.Mar 29, 2010
This movie may be "true to life", as the documentary-style camerawork was probably trying to say, but considering it's supposed to be a satire, it missed the fact that satire is supposed to be funny. I did not laugh once. Admittedly I This movie may be "true to life", as the documentary-style camerawork was probably trying to say, but considering it's supposed to be a satire, it missed the fact that satire is supposed to be funny. I did not laugh once. Admittedly I only watched 25 minutes of it, but that was as much as I could stand. All the characters were (intentionally?) either hateful creeps, stupid twits, or both simultaneously. Can't believe this script was nominated for an Oscar! It sounded great "on paper", but don't waste your time. It. Was. Not. Funny. Dr. Strangelove it ain't. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
IyunzustoNov 4, 2010
The problem with this movie is it has 4 writers.. and probably 3 of them are funny. The fourth is a pretentious wanker and their influence taints all of the otherwise funny cracks with a sort of pompous self importance that renders themThe problem with this movie is it has 4 writers.. and probably 3 of them are funny. The fourth is a pretentious wanker and their influence taints all of the otherwise funny cracks with a sort of pompous self importance that renders them boring. You will sit and acknowledge each joke one by one while not raising so much as a chuckle, but recognising that underneath, they had something. It's a shame. Some people say this movie's too smart for most people and you have to be intelligent to 'get it'. The irony is, if you're really intelligent, you're past getting it. You've had it.

Here's an example of a joke: Him: "You look beautiful", her: "Oh thank you, I bet you say that to all the girls.", him: "I do. And some of the soldiers, too." ha ... ha?
JohnC.Aug 22, 2009
If profanity is the only way to express humor then this movie has it; personally I like a movie with less profanity, more plot, and one that doesn't leave you with the desire that the movie would end soon!
0 of 0 users found this helpful
GeorgeO.Jan 21, 2010
I fully agree with Anthony Lane from The New Yorker... except it only took me 20 minutes to want to get away from this dog.
0 of 0 users found this helpful