Incendies

8.2

1. PD4
    May 19, 2011
    I'll keep it simple. Incendies gets a score of 5:

The storytelling is sparingly engrossing.
    The plot feels too contrived.
    It leaves you morally browbeaten.
    It contains multiple "r u serious?" moments
  2. May 16, 2011
    At times, the movie is so good that it could have been a masterpiece (no wonder it was nominated for Oscar in International movies category). But it is not.

The final twist of the story (which is tightly connected to the beginning) makes the whole of it somewhat of a farce. In my opinion, the topic of great magnitude, such as civilian population suffering in a war, should not be confined

In my opinion, the topic of great magnitude, such as civilian population suffering in a war, should not be confined into an obscure and improbable case.

Still, I cannot overlook the number of impressive, magnificent scenes which make the movie definitely worth seeing.
  3. May 5, 2011
    It seemed a tad busy, and the languages not being my own first, robbed me I'm sure from some being able to tell if it was genuine in some scenes with the acting...though Grandmother's did seem a little over the top, not buying it some. The story did move in time a lot. The two female lead's too much alike in look made it a good challenge to see where we were in the story. Fine. But a lotIt seemed a tad busy, and the languages not being my own first, robbed me I'm sure from some being able to tell if it was genuine in some scenes with the acting...though Grandmother's did seem a little over the top, not buying it some. The story did move in time a lot. The two female lead's too much alike in look made it a good challenge to see where we were in the story. Fine. But a lot of things we could guess what were what and yeah, intentional, what with the characters finding out later...but, so much repetition of some story lines, felt as if, you know, CUT CUT CUT already. We get it. Still, heavy impact at the latter bits. WOW. No spoilers here but, advice: GO TO A COMFORTABLE SEATING PLACE! Regal Cinema in Irvine's blows! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jul 15, 2011
    A story of hope amid the ruins -- one that everybody can appreciate, no matter their politics.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 23, 2011
    The story might have worked as well without that stick-in-the-craw coincidence, which was inserted to maximize the horrors of Nawal's past.
  3. Reviewed by: David Parkinson
    Jun 20, 2011
    A thriller that twists and turns with an understated power that will have you gripping the arm of your seat. Terrific stuff.