8.7

1. Jwv
    Jan 9, 2014
    Great documentary, beautiful camera work and poignant portrayal of the developers. You can't keep from sympathizing with these hard-working idealists after having watched this.
  2. Feb 28, 2013
    This is a true film, an honest insight into the trials and tribulations of independent video game developers and programmers, and this is truly for anyone who is at a crossroads in their life in regards to what they are doing, and if their ambition seems to be out of their reach.
    It tells the story from the success, developmental hell and getting screwed by the suits of three different indie games and four different people.
    Edmund and Tommy are working on Super Meat Boy, a highly anticipated game that they have worked on to get it released on Xbox Live. Tommy seems to be hard done by, but perhaps his views on the game about making it for himself and that he doesn't care about whether the critical response is positive or negative is a little too exaggerated, he is after all selling the game, but thats ok, because this shows the emotional impact of something that many wouldn't even give a second glance to, developing games.
    No joke, these guys are mental messes, Phil Fish, who created Fez, tells the camera that if he doesn't get the game completed that he will kill himself, and he has that sort of look where we really don't know if he is telling the truth or not, the amount of abuse this man received was just ridiculous, simply because he was putting the up most into his brainchild.
    We also take a look at Braid, created by Jon Blow, this guy is kind of a mixed bag of emotions, he comes off as a typical developer, but he seems very confident in criticising and debating with those who talk about his game, its maybe just good fan interaction or simply unprofessional behaviour.
    We see the opening of the film also at the end, when Super Meat Boy doesn't appear when it was supposed to, and Tommy is perhaps the most central character, he seems to enjoy what he is doing but at the same time is just too hard on himself and what he believes his games are perceived as.
    This is true and well-edited testament not just to video game developing, but to a dream or ambition as a whole, these guys sweat to the bitter end just to see their dream succeed, but when this happens they also hit themselves with the realisation that it can still fall flat on its face. Another thank you can be given to these men, they delve quite deep into their own private lives, their struggle with marriage, family and money..all to create that one thing that will change their lives forever, and why shouldn't they, an excellent underdog documentary that anyone could relate to and learn from.
  3. Jan 1, 2013
    I am a gamer Have been since I was 4/5 years old I have wanted to makes games most of my life this Movie shows how hard it is to be a indie game developer and how much time and work goes in to the games it also shows the life of these indie game developers and what it takes to get rid of the bugs in the games it shows all the things they need to give up to make games and how they are justI am a gamer Have been since I was 4/5 years old I have wanted to makes games most of my life this Movie shows how hard it is to be a indie game developer and how much time and work goes in to the games it also shows the life of these indie game developers and what it takes to get rid of the bugs in the games it shows all the things they need to give up to make games and how they are just like us they smile at the reviews and laugh they are not just indie game developers they have family it shows that and friends and the music is great in the movie we get really close to what they are trying to put in to the games and how the games are some parts of their childhood Expand
  4. Nov 30, 2012
    An inspiring story of four independent developers on an amazing journey. I highly enjoyed this documentary, and it helped me see behind the scenes of a few amazing indie games. You don't really realize what the developers go through, and it allows you to see the personality of these indie games. It's a must-see for any gamer, whether or not you enjoy the indie titles.
  5. Sep 24, 2012
    This is a good-natured, sincere and touching Movie. This Film is about a dream, it's also about a sacrifice. It tells about what one can refuse to reach the aim. This is not only about/for game developers/players, it's about all people of art. I believe every musician or movie director had the same feelings and emotions as the Movie characters. The history of every single game in thisThis is a good-natured, sincere and touching Movie. This Film is about a dream, it's also about a sacrifice. It tells about what one can refuse to reach the aim. This is not only about/for game developers/players, it's about all people of art. I believe every musician or movie director had the same feelings and emotions as the Movie characters. The history of every single game in this Movie is amazing. So every gamer (even not a fan of Indie games) should watch this! Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2012
    Yeah Yeah its about video games but don't go judging it too hastily! Its not just about video games, its about the emotional, physical, social and financial struggle that a few passionate individuals had creating something so unique and beautiful from nothing. The film was very involving from the start and you made an emotional connection with the designers from the very start. My firstYeah Yeah its about video games but don't go judging it too hastily! Its not just about video games, its about the emotional, physical, social and financial struggle that a few passionate individuals had creating something so unique and beautiful from nothing. The film was very involving from the start and you made an emotional connection with the designers from the very start. My first impressions from this documentary were something of "yeah its going to show the progression and the story telling and the lives of these people who make the games then everybody will live happily ever after" with not TOO high hopes about it. As I kept watching and got more and more involved you remember that this is a documentary and this is the real world, and more often than not things go wrong, and it really hits you in situations like Phil Fish was in before his show case when you start to think; "Things could actually go **** up for this guy!". The film was quite funny and showed a good variety of the work/lifestyles of independent game developers. The film was very emotional as you are constantly hoping the best for the developers. There were weeps of sadness and tears of joy towards the end and over all it was very insightful. Maybe I am being bias rating it a 9/10 as one day I hope to be a game developer too. But you dont have to have a love for games to agree that this film was brilliant. Expand
  7. Jul 17, 2012
    One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Even my Lady loved it despite the fact she doesn't enjoy playing games at all. This movie will make every watcher start to respect all those indie developers out there.
  8. Jun 22, 2012
    This film really opened my eyes into how hard it is to break into the industry and to make a game that will sell well. At times it really made me feel sorry for the 4 devs and also made me smile at their inevitable success. The only problem I had was with Phil Fish, the guy who made Fez. At times he made himself look like a complete ass and carried on and on and on for the entire filmThis film really opened my eyes into how hard it is to break into the industry and to make a game that will sell well. At times it really made me feel sorry for the 4 devs and also made me smile at their inevitable success. The only problem I had was with Phil Fish, the guy who made Fez. At times he made himself look like a complete ass and carried on and on and on for the entire film until he started finding people who liked the game, although he was going through hardship and I accept that, it is no way to act under any circumstance. Overall a great watch and I highly reccomend it. Expand
  9. Jun 18, 2012
    The American spirit in action. Someone giving their all and putting themselves on their line is something we can all relate to... if only because we've never had the courage to do so. This is an amazingly well done documentary and a must see for anyone searching for meaning in their lives. Or maybe I just am, and that's why I loved it. Almost shed a tear there when the stupid girlfriendThe American spirit in action. Someone giving their all and putting themselves on their line is something we can all relate to... if only because we've never had the courage to do so. This is an amazingly well done documentary and a must see for anyone searching for meaning in their lives. Or maybe I just am, and that's why I loved it. Almost shed a tear there when the stupid girlfriend did. Well done gents! Now, can I play Fez already or what?! Complete the freaking thing man! Collapse
  10. Jun 14, 2012
    Seeing these designers, portrayed in such unfiltered manner, the building up tension, their fears and passions moved me to tears just nothing before in a long time. Aside from my personal view about how much this new media is underrated and misused, this movie brings to you what you can already feel from these "experiences", even more clearly. When i first saw the trailer i hoped thisSeeing these designers, portrayed in such unfiltered manner, the building up tension, their fears and passions moved me to tears just nothing before in a long time. Aside from my personal view about how much this new media is underrated and misused, this movie brings to you what you can already feel from these "experiences", even more clearly. When i first saw the trailer i hoped this movie was good, but not as much it turned out! I cannot find any technical issue that may ruin the view. I guess this is what everybody following his dreams need to see, a true life and emotion injection! Expand
  11. Jun 13, 2012
    THE BEST MOVIE OF MY LIFE, Motivational. I cried 8 or 9 times. I saw myself in each frame. AMAZING! MOTIVATIONAL! WOoooooooooOOOOoooOOOOoooOOOooooOOooooW
  12. Jun 13, 2012
    One of the best films... Definitely the best film about gaming industry! The story about not such popular genre of contemporary games - indie games- games made by a single person or a small group of people, seam to be simple, but truely as hardcore as landing on the Sun is! Must seen for geeks, gamers, nerds and youngsters for the last to see that nowadays games are not only CoD orOne of the best films... Definitely the best film about gaming industry! The story about not such popular genre of contemporary games - indie games- games made by a single person or a small group of people, seam to be simple, but truely as hardcore as landing on the Sun is! Must seen for geeks, gamers, nerds and youngsters for the last to see that nowadays games are not only CoD or Battlefield but something more personal and creative! Absolutely fascinating shortage! Thriller at its best also :) 10/10 ! Unremarkable experience! Expand
  13. Jun 12, 2012
    Very enjoyable, emotional, authentic, educational and just great. If you've ever had an interest in making video games, or are simply enjoying playing them a lot, you owe it to yourself to risk this look behind the scenes.
    This whole movie felt just absolutely right and heartwarming, showing a pretty insightful view of what it is like being an independent developer. It is authentic and makes it obvious that these are real people with real fears, weaknesses but also strengths, skill and dreams.

1. Reviewed by: Guy Dixon
    May 25, 2012
    Video-game developers: Geeks, nerds, socially adrift obsessives. Indie Game thankfully gets past such base introductions in a flash and graduates to far more engrossing levels – levels which open up into the real worlds of the best independent game developers working their craft.
  2. Reviewed by: Gary Goldstein
    May 18, 2012
    Fortunately, Pajot and Swirsky don't overdo the minutiae (this is a movie even non-gamers can enjoy), offering just enough insight into the creative process to feel enlightening.
  3. Reviewed by: Nicolas Rapold
    May 18, 2012
    Along the way comes a bracing, honest confession about these interactive creations, voiced by one designer but no doubt applying to many more makers of all kinds: "I made it for myself."