8.2

1. Fantasy
    Oct 17, 2006
    George I read your review and you walked out just as the movie was about to start. Everything before that was simply developing the characters. You missed three of the best acting performances of the year by Toby Jones, Sandra Bullock, and Daniel Craig. Toby Jones actually was better than Philip Seymour Hoffman who won the Best Actor award for his portrayal last year. Sandra Bullock has George I read your review and you walked out just as the movie was about to start. Everything before that was simply developing the characters. You missed three of the best acting performances of the year by Toby Jones, Sandra Bullock, and Daniel Craig. Toby Jones actually was better than Philip Seymour Hoffman who won the Best Actor award for his portrayal last year. Sandra Bullock has never been better in any of her movies. And for Daniel Craig, the new James Bond by the way, his performance as Perry Smith the cold blooded killer was absolutely sensational. This movie presents the story within the story in that Truman Capote gave so much of his life to In Cold Blood, that his humanity was stripped away by the tortured souls who committed these gruesome murders as he came to know them too well and he became the unwitting victim of their own demise. This is a fantastic movie about Truman Capote and explains his eccentric behavior after writing his Pulitzer Prize book never to do any real work again. After this story it appears that it took away his passion to write as the pain of tying up all the loose ends was too much for his to bear. George go back and see this truly great masterpiece as it is a must see film. Expand
  2. LindaL.
    Jul 8, 2007
    I watched both movies "Capote and Infamous" and without a doubt found Infamous to be the best. Toby Jones was truly A Truman Capote. The only question I have is, how do you know he actually had an affair with Perry Smith? Is that part really the truth?
  3. Hassan
    Oct 17, 2006
    Simply fantastic. Perhaps one of the best acted, best told stories of the year. Don't miss it.
  4. Bailey
    Dec 2, 2006
    This is a GREAT film! It really is a shame the collective press so highly touted the other Capote effort, and now doesn't seem able to give this (far better) film it's due. If this had come out first, Tody Jones would have won as Oscar. Truman would have loved this film and hated the one which bears his name.
  5. VirginaA.
    Dec 2, 2006
    Just superb!
  6. Rasputin
    Dec 5, 2006
    Wow was this flick great. Toby Jones and Daniel Craig shine in this outstanding production. If this movie had come out first before Capote, Infamous would have walked off with every major award as it is that good. Don't miss it.
  7. KenG
    Oct 27, 2006
    Unlike some others, I was very interested in seeing this to see to see how it compared to "Capote", which I liked a lot. Each movie is very good, but each does certain things better then the other. While Jones gives a strong performance as Truman Capote, he is not quite as memorable as Hoffman. Jones gives the somewhat better physical impersonation of Truman Capote, in terms of voice, Unlike some others, I was very interested in seeing this to see to see how it compared to "Capote", which I liked a lot. Each movie is very good, but each does certain things better then the other. While Jones gives a strong performance as Truman Capote, he is not quite as memorable as Hoffman. Jones gives the somewhat better physical impersonation of Truman Capote, in terms of voice, mannerisms, and perhaps, outwards personality, but he doesn't get under the skin of the character to quite the degree that Hoffman did. There is a quiet intensity to Hoffman's performance, that isn't quite there to the same degree in Jone's. That makes Hoffman's Capote the more poignant, and haunting figure. To sum it up, I think Hoffman was the clear choice for last year's best actor Oscar. While Jones also gives a strong performance, I don't know if I would call it the best of the year. "Capote" was the more emotionally complex story. There is a very effective ambiguity as to the nature of the relationship between Capote and Perry, and also as to why Capote becomes so tormented. Is it because he has fallen in love with Perry, or just that he feels guilty of exploiting him, others, and a terrible crime, to benefit himself? Or is a combination of all these things? "Infamous" leaves no doubt that the nature of the Capote-Perry relationship is a romantic one, and that Capote becomes tormented because he is in love with Perry. In both cases this comes across as the more simplistic take on "Infamous's" part. On the other hand, "Infamous" gives the more comprehensive view of the story, and along with good work by Jones, also has strong performances by Daniel Craig, and Sandra Bullock. It also does the better job of bringing Capote's New York "world" to life. Overall, I would give the nod to "Capote" as the better movie, but "Infamous" is also well worthwhile. Expand
  8. LeonardP.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Captures the essence of these people and time in ways that CAPOTE would never have dared. One is a safe film, the other eccentric.Concidering the subject INFAMOUS is the film to admire.
  9. AnnyK.
    Apr 22, 2007
    I didn't see "Capote" and I dont go to the cinema often, but this film contained all of the elements I enjoy in a movie experience, whilst easily accessible it none the less contained enough material to engender reflection on the human condition intersperced with some very humourous moments. The actors Toby Jones , Sandra Bullock and especially Daniel Craig provided some wonderful I didn't see "Capote" and I dont go to the cinema often, but this film contained all of the elements I enjoy in a movie experience, whilst easily accessible it none the less contained enough material to engender reflection on the human condition intersperced with some very humourous moments. The actors Toby Jones , Sandra Bullock and especially Daniel Craig provided some wonderful performances. Expand
  10. GilM.
    Jun 5, 2007
    One of the better Capote depictions. Toby Jones is fantastic!
  11. DunceCap
    Nov 18, 2006
    The movie is fantastic and Toby Jones is as good as Seymour Philip Hoffman and perhaps even better in the role of Truman Capote. But Daniel Craig, the British actor now playing the new James Bond is a superstar in the making. There are some scenes between Jones & Craig then are simply riveting. Don't miss this jewel of a movie.
  12. KathyS.
    Oct 15, 2006
    I'm surprised to be saying this, but it's true: "Infamous" is as good -- or even better -- than last year's "Capote." This movie has humor, depth, and meaning. Each performance was stunning, particularly Toby Keith, Daniel Craig, Gwyneth Paltrow, Juliet Stevenson, Sigourney Weaver... I could go on. Highly recommended.
  13. WalterE.
    Nov 8, 2006
    Toby Jones. So good! He made me want to watch "Murder By Death" all over again. "Good evening, everyone. I'm your host, Lionel Twain..." As for the movie, well...it's kind of jumble even without the comparsion to the more linear "Capote". And if you're unaware of the social and historical significance of people like Barbara Paley and Slim Keith, you may wonder why such Toby Jones. So good! He made me want to watch "Murder By Death" all over again. "Good evening, everyone. I'm your host, Lionel Twain..." As for the movie, well...it's kind of jumble even without the comparsion to the more linear "Capote". And if you're unaware of the social and historical significance of people like Barbara Paley and Slim Keith, you may wonder why such strong actors like Sigourney Weaver and Hope Davis have roles that barely qualify as cameos (I get the vibe there was probably a lot more of them in some earlier version of the script). This movie is definitely more of a crowd pleaser than "Capote", which was, let's face it, a fairly dour representation of someone who probably had more opportunity for good times than any person alive in the 20th century. Expand
  14. KurtL.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Liked this version better than "Capote", although both are excellent movies. Toby Jones gives us a better insight into the humor and eccentricity of TC.
  15. RobT
    Feb 9, 2007
    Two biographical performances in contemporary film have recently been praised almost endlessly for the quality of the performances. Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote" and Charlize Theron in "Monster". While these are two powerful performances, the actors did not embody their characters. You believe that they are actors playing a character. Toby Jones on the other hand WAS Truman Capote. Two biographical performances in contemporary film have recently been praised almost endlessly for the quality of the performances. Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote" and Charlize Theron in "Monster". While these are two powerful performances, the actors did not embody their characters. You believe that they are actors playing a character. Toby Jones on the other hand WAS Truman Capote. You don't see an actor playing a role you know is bound to get an oscar; you see the character. He got lost in the part entirely, which in the end made his performance far superior. Expand
  16. trishc
    Mar 2, 2008
    Hands down, "Infamous" is the superior movie. It is so entertaining in the beginning, paced just right -- back and forth from Kansas and New York in the middle, and explosive, devastatingly so at the end. The casting is almost perfect, except for the banal Hope Davis, and Toby Jones is -- well, Truman Capote!!
  17. KingChad
    Nov 13, 2006
    All I can say is WOW! This movie is superior to last year's version of Capote if that's at all possible. It's in a Class By Itself. Don't miss it.
  18. Freakster
    Nov 25, 2006
    Unbelievably delicious. Where is the press when a great movie like this is playing? I know they're busy touting the horrendous Borat.
  19. PaulK.
    Oct 15, 2006
    The "other Capote film" is definitely worth seeing, but not because it's vastly superior or even marginally inferior to the first. If you're fascinated with the story, Infamous will deliver another version that is sometimes similar and sometimes completely different. Daniel Craig and Toby Jones have perfect chemistry. See this one in the theater if you can.
  20. AlexF.
    Oct 27, 2006
    Earnest but is brought down by screenplay, casting, dialogue and editing.
  21. ShannonP.
    Oct 28, 2006
    This is actually a much better film than
  22. JenniferH.
    Nov 27, 2007
    A masterpiece. About life, and love, and art, and how the latter two might make the first more bearable, or more miserable. Much better than the movie Capote, which was about one man. This is about all of us.
  23. Apr 20, 2012
    The best thing about 'Infamous' is the truly stellar cast that provides the performances that a story like this needs. Toby Jones and Sandra Bullock are the true standouts but there's further great support from the likes of Jeff Daniels, Sigourney Weaver and Daniel Craig. If you're a Gwyneth Paltrow fan she sings for about 3 minutes - though she is good.

1. Neither movie (Capote/Infamous) gives you the whole picture, but it's fun to see them both and rearrange the pieces in your head.
    The film's most pleasing surprise is the beautifully nuanced portrait of Capote's confidante, "To Kill a Mockingbird" author Harper Lee, by Sandra Bullock. You heard me. Bullock gives the film what it otherwise lacks: the ring of truth.
  3. Infamous gives you the unique opportunity to see how two sets of filmmakers can take exactly the same story, make extremely tough though different choices in emphasis and tone and achieve brilliant movies.