Inglourious Basterds

7.8

1. JeffS.
    Aug 22, 2009
    Like Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction, this is a masterpiece; a movie to be savored and enjoyed one mesmerizing frame at a time. Both audiences I was with clapped at the end (I stayed an watched it again). Quentin's brilliance is in full shine in IB; his love for the craft and art of cinema is evident. The casting, the writing, the production, that acting! What a great, great movie.
  2. M.Roman
    Aug 23, 2009
    Having read the leaked screenplay, I was a bit apprehensive going into IG. On the page, the film felt mostly flat and convoluted. A few scenes bore the QT stamp of genius, but the sum total didn't seem to reach its potential. I'm happy to say the film is better than the script. Tarantino is so lauded as a writer that we often forget his visual prowess, and, more importantly, his Having read the leaked screenplay, I was a bit apprehensive going into IG. On the page, the film felt mostly flat and convoluted. A few scenes bore the QT stamp of genius, but the sum total didn't seem to reach its potential. I'm happy to say the film is better than the script. Tarantino is so lauded as a writer that we often forget his visual prowess, and, more importantly, his work with actors. The success of IG is due largely to some stunning performances, mostly by the European actors. Waltz is as good as the critics say: barbaric, witty, multi-dimensional. The movie is worth seeing alone for his giddy turn as Nazi opportunist. Diane Kruger's performance will likely go overlooked, but she is sizzling as German actress Bridget von Hammersmark. Brad Pitt is a weak link in the cast, but he's adequate and occasionally funny in his campy role as Lt. Raine. ((minor spoiler)) My biggest complaint is that the doubling of two key third act plots diminishes both. In what should be the most suspenseful moments of the film, there is little suspense because, in essence, we have two groups trying to achieve the same goal. One will surely succeed if the other fails. Never do the two plots (Basterds/Dreyfus) contravene, which feels like a lost opportunity. At the very least, there's a whole lot of bloody revenge and some much needed, albeit revisionist, catharis. Expand
  3. NancyD
    Aug 23, 2009
    Incredible! Col. Landa had the best performance in the movie.
  4. GregoryP
    Aug 23, 2009
    I've yet to give my opinion of a film ever online. But Quentins' WWII movie Basterds is pure film making at it's best. It is Cinema, don't be fooled by the less then stellar reviews you may see, they are just plain wrong; missing the point entirely.
  5. JamieF
    Aug 23, 2009
    Pretty good. Found that the Shosanna Dreyfus plotline was unnecessary. Aldo Raine's (Brad Pitt) scenes upstaged her, and the dark comedic effect blows the dramatic mood that she works hard to set. Her role should've been removed or minimalized for Brad Pitt's character to continue to shine.
  6. GabbyG.
    Aug 23, 2009
    Tarantino didn't disappoint me he delivered as usual. Awesome movie good story line. my heart was pounding the last 20 minutes its been a while since a film has done that.
  7. ArmandoP
    Aug 23, 2009
    Tarantino's movies are always a masterpiece! he is unique, this movie is like a adrenaline explosion.
  8. David
    Aug 23, 2009
    Tarantino is a genius. This movie is as great as Pulp Fiction. I've seen it twice already.
  9. MarkD.
    Aug 24, 2009
    Awesome experience - Tarantino takes you on a ride. I cannot stop thinking about it.
  10. OscarF.
    Aug 24, 2009
    This movie shows the unearthly talent of director Quentin Tarantino. This movie is hilarious, violent, and so good that whoever misses it, would die without experiencing real filmaking. Cristopher Waltz is a great actor and deserves the academy award for best supporting actor!
  11. RyanM.
    Aug 24, 2009
    If you love to laugh at accents, this movie could not be any funnier. The only reason it isn't a 10 for me is the fact that I would have liked to see a few more lines out of Brad Pitt. They were careful not to overload him (which could be very easy given the "strength" of his accent), but i think they may have been too frugal with his appearance.
  12. MarkT
    Aug 25, 2009
    Most probably the best Q.T. has presented to us yet, in what I feel will be a long and glorious film career. I thought the film references were right on top as I chucked myself silly throughout the picture. It's O.K. if you didn't get them - the movie was outstanding farce anyway. For those who did not get this movie - it was because you probably because it contained everything Most probably the best Q.T. has presented to us yet, in what I feel will be a long and glorious film career. I thought the film references were right on top as I chucked myself silly throughout the picture. It's O.K. if you didn't get them - the movie was outstanding farce anyway. For those who did not get this movie - it was because you probably because it contained everything a Taratino movie needs; great dialogue, beautiful cinematography, good acting (Colonel Landa was Brilliant!) all with the director's tongue firmly in cheek. Bravo! Expand
  13. billc.
    Aug 26, 2009
    A 6 rating is probably more in my mind, but certain things are to be expected in a Torintino film and you shouldn't complain about it. The writing is not up to Pulp Fiction, the violence seems too grafic, but the actors did a great job. The premise, or plot is what weakened the film IMO.
  14. BrendonF.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Action packed, beautifully written and beyond unique. Tarantino delivers another classic. However, subtitles were far too excessive.
  15. ThierryK
    Aug 27, 2009
    I've seen this movie today and wow! I did not expected i was going to see a masterpiece, the conversations, the actions ,the humour(especially when brad pitt talked italian, it whas really hilarious!). Overall, it is certainly the best movie to date, especially with all the nobrain action movies.
  16. TimL
    Aug 27, 2009
    A delicious film for any QT fan. Totally absorbing and beautifully shot, with fine acting performances. A true multi-layered masterpeice. why did so many people hate this? madness.
  17. JonathonY
    Aug 28, 2009
    People said it was the best Tarantino film to date. I disagree, although this movie was one of the best I have seen this year. I was looking for hilarious violence and story and was not dissatisfied.
  18. RafaR
    Aug 28, 2009
    One of my favorite films of 2009... its hilarious, twisted and suspenseful. Tarantino did something in this film, I don't think I've ever seen before... but to tell would be to spoil. Go see it for yourself.
  19. TonyM
    Aug 28, 2009
    I was really excited to see this movie, but I just thought that many of the scenes were just way too long (the bar scene) and for a movie about the basterds, they are hardly in it at all.
  20. KazK
    Aug 29, 2009
    Amazing movie. I can't believe people thought this was bad or found it "offensive". What's offensive about nazis getting killed by jews? There are no scenes with concentration camps or anything like that. If i was Jewish I would like this movie even more because of how awesome the nazi killing is. You will especially dig this movie if you are a QT fan. A bit slow at times and Amazing movie. I can't believe people thought this was bad or found it "offensive". What's offensive about nazis getting killed by jews? There are no scenes with concentration camps or anything like that. If i was Jewish I would like this movie even more because of how awesome the nazi killing is. You will especially dig this movie if you are a QT fan. A bit slow at times and quite long but that's how all QT movies are so if you have the taste for his stuff than this is a MUST-SEE. If you found pulp fiction or kill bill boring then this is not the movie for you. Expand
  21. JohnH
    Aug 29, 2009
    QT has matured, but still has his unique spice and style. This movie is, dare i say, his best yet. A masterpiece. Enjoyed every single minute. Brilliant.
  22. AndreV
    Sep 11, 2009
    I can see why many people wouldn't like this movie: it doesn't really have an obvious point, there's a lot of seemingly pointless dialogue, half of which is in a foreign language with subtitles.. but then these are not the things that make this film so interesting. What is interesting is how each individual scene is perfectly crafted to bring about some kind of intense I can see why many people wouldn't like this movie: it doesn't really have an obvious point, there's a lot of seemingly pointless dialogue, half of which is in a foreign language with subtitles.. but then these are not the things that make this film so interesting. What is interesting is how each individual scene is perfectly crafted to bring about some kind of intense emotion in the viewer, whether that emotion is fear, disgust, paranoia, joy, etc. While historically silly, this is probably one of the best films I've seen that transmits so many of the emotions we associate with war. If that doesn't interest you, then it's probably safe to say that you won't like this movie. Expand
  23. pat
    Sep 23, 2009
    One of the best films I've ever seen. The main criticisms I see seem to be that the characters are over the top or unbelievable, keep in mind Tarantino's characters do not live in the world we do, and they are often representations of something else entirely. Go see it if you get the chance.
  24. CarolynB
    Sep 23, 2009
    I hated Pulp Fiction and haven't seen another Tarrantino film. Yet, I *LOVED* this movie. It has to be one of the best I have seen in years (There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men were awful in comparison to this). This movie should be seen for acting and the dialogue alone. The cinematography and direction is wonderful, too. Wonderful, wonderful tension filled scenes where I hated Pulp Fiction and haven't seen another Tarrantino film. Yet, I *LOVED* this movie. It has to be one of the best I have seen in years (There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men were awful in comparison to this). This movie should be seen for acting and the dialogue alone. The cinematography and direction is wonderful, too. Wonderful, wonderful tension filled scenes where the Nazi colonel questions resistance fighters and double agents and you wonder whether they will be found out or not. Expand
  25. Blake
    Sep 27, 2009
    QT, you are a master! A lot funnier than I expected too.
  26. AlexM
    Sep 29, 2009
    It's a good film that will be appealing to every Tarantino fan. It's not a masterpiece but it's definetly enjoyable. Some lines are very funny, and the action scenes are good.
  27. TJ
    Nov 18, 2009
    This Quentin's movie is very fabulous that can stuck me with fully fun.
  28. ArianoA.
    Nov 19, 2009
    Quentin Tarantino is a genius. Everything he touches turns in gold. Inglorious Basterds is no exception. The way is presented in a hilarious, thrilling manner makes this movie a masterpiece.
  29. JoelleG
    Nov 23, 2009
    Perfect cocktail of humor and gore. It completely disregards history and reminds the audience that movies are supposed to be separate from reality; historical accuracy and conventions are trivial.
  30. PeterG
    Dec 18, 2009
    The only WWII movie that should win an Oscar based on pretense.
  31. NickR
    Dec 19, 2009
    Brilliant film for all who love movies, whether a Tarantino fan or not. It's so compelling that one doesn't even realize how much of the movie is in German or French. It was also surprising how un-Hollywood the film was; you would go in expecting it to focus on the big star attached to it (Brad Pitt), but he's not even the most interesting character. The plot was well-done Brilliant film for all who love movies, whether a Tarantino fan or not. It's so compelling that one doesn't even realize how much of the movie is in German or French. It was also surprising how un-Hollywood the film was; you would go in expecting it to focus on the big star attached to it (Brad Pitt), but he's not even the most interesting character. The plot was well-done and truly engaging in regards to how events would progress. Tarantino simply makes it work, where you can be laughing uproariously one second and be on the edge of your seat with anticipation the next. Expand
  32. LouieC
    Dec 27, 2009
    One of the best films of the year. "Inglorious" is a fun, quirky movie with an intelligent and entertaining story, clever dialogue, and great acting.
  33. Oct 17, 2010
    Brad Pitt doing that accent trying to speak Italian is one of the best scenes I've scene in a long time. Tarantino does a great job as usual, and gives another movie that's worth watching over and over. I'm glad Hitler died this time around as well.
  34. May 19, 2013
    The movie is pretty good. It's pretty much 3 big scenes that play out. Brad Pitt is the biggest downer of the movie as his bad southern accent just feels so corny. Though the highlight of this film and has to be the best discovery is Christoph Waltz Who is just Amazing as the Nazi jew hunter. His performance is just captivating and what great acting is made of. I also thought MichaelThe movie is pretty good. It's pretty much 3 big scenes that play out. Brad Pitt is the biggest downer of the movie as his bad southern accent just feels so corny. Though the highlight of this film and has to be the best discovery is Christoph Waltz Who is just Amazing as the Nazi jew hunter. His performance is just captivating and what great acting is made of. I also thought Michael Fassbender did a good job as well in this. Its a good movie to see if you want to see some fine acting a interesting story as long as you can get past Brad Pitt. Expand
  35. Sep 2, 2010
    Nazi officer assigned to France to kill Jews, group of Jewish American soldiers hunt Nazis, paths cross, Nazi war hero has film made about him, wants premiere in small French town, twists, turns & turmoil.
    An amazing cast executing their roles spectacularly & some very good dialogue (in four languages!) which you'd expect from Tarantino.
    Despite all this it just felt a bit lacking despite
    Despite all this it just felt a bit lacking despite one or two very good scenes (The scene in the bar with German officers the standout).
    Also, Christoph Walz reminded me of a Nazi Rob Brydon which took off his edge a little bit.
  36. Aug 20, 2010
    brilliant. very funny and great acting. one of the best films to have been made in the last decade. i strongly recommend all readers to see this movie.
  37. Aug 27, 2010
    Quentin Tarantino has once again taken the reins of pop-art cinema and delivers a delicious slice of mayhem a la Nazi-occupied France, Spaghetti Western style (though some viewers may be disappointed if they were looking for a nonstop action fest - it's a talking movie in which the most prevalent languages are French and German). Christopher Waltz is stunning in his role as the "JewQuentin Tarantino has once again taken the reins of pop-art cinema and delivers a delicious slice of mayhem a la Nazi-occupied France, Spaghetti Western style (though some viewers may be disappointed if they were looking for a nonstop action fest - it's a talking movie in which the most prevalent languages are French and German). Christopher Waltz is stunning in his role as the "Jew Hunter" and Brad Pitt is pure entertainment for the small amount of time he is on screen. It's all well done, but I hesitate to rate it any higher because it all felt so familiar coming from Tarantino... Expand
  38. Mar 6, 2011
    Another thrilling Tarantino style film with over the top violence, quotable and conversational dialog and non-linear narrative, it does fall short from amazing. The character introductions felt rushed and unimportant and furthermore, most of the characters introduced have little to no development, feeling like extras but one thing that saves this from becoming a bore to watch is ChristophAnother thrilling Tarantino style film with over the top violence, quotable and conversational dialog and non-linear narrative, it does fall short from amazing. The character introductions felt rushed and unimportant and furthermore, most of the characters introduced have little to no development, feeling like extras but one thing that saves this from becoming a bore to watch is Christoph Waltz as Lans Handa. By God this is one of the best written characters in Tarantino's violent catalog next to Julius Winnfield in Pulp Fiction and the most threatening villains I've seen thanks to Christoph's brilliant acting. Is it a good movie? Yes. Many things you love about Tarantino are here but also many things that you expects from Tarantino are not. Expand
  39. Mar 22, 2011
    While I felt the movie was too awkward in some scenes, I still enjoyed it a lot. Great hilarious take on World War II, and Christoph Waltz made a fantastic debut for Western audiences in this movie.
  40. Sep 23, 2010
    Tarantino uses a really great and superb revenge trilogy from World War II, and his violent but entertaining stylistic writing makes this movie fantastic.
  41. Oct 4, 2010
    Exceptionally gory, even for a Quentin Tarantino film, it is not for the faint hearted. 'Inglourious Basterds' is a feast of humour, suspense, and blood, and is thoroughly entertaining. The acting, especially from Christoph Waltz and Diane Kruger, is superb. The witty, clever dialogue, a trademark of Tarantino films, makes up a wonderful screenplay. You are almost kept on the edge of yourExceptionally gory, even for a Quentin Tarantino film, it is not for the faint hearted. 'Inglourious Basterds' is a feast of humour, suspense, and blood, and is thoroughly entertaining. The acting, especially from Christoph Waltz and Diane Kruger, is superb. The witty, clever dialogue, a trademark of Tarantino films, makes up a wonderful screenplay. You are almost kept on the edge of your seat throughout this film because it is so unpredictable, featuring numerous plot twists and unexpected outcomes. I must admit, I was expecting a little bit more than what I got because there is no denying, it is quite slow, but I was nonetheless impressed by the film overall. Expand
  42. Jan 19, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is my favorite Tarantino movie. It's funny, brutal, unpredictable, inappropriate, beautifully shot and has an amazing soundtrack. There are so many memorable moments in this film! Inglourious Basterds is a wholly satisfying experience that I couldn't ask more of.
  43. Jan 11, 2011
    It is very surprising to me, Quentin Tarantino (QT) picks warfare genre for his next project, although according to many sources, thiz script already bury very long time on Tarantino desk. QT is authentically inspirational and eccentric Director in the same time. His previous best works were: PULP FICTION (1994) and KILL BILL (2007). Seem to me, he always finds something new to put onIt is very surprising to me, Quentin Tarantino (QT) picks warfare genre for his next project, although according to many sources, thiz script already bury very long time on Tarantino desk. QT is authentically inspirational and eccentric Director in the same time. His previous best works were: PULP FICTION (1994) and KILL BILL (2007). Seem to me, he always finds something new to put on every film of his. The story is about a group of soldiers led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt), who known as The Basterds. They had mission to terminate every Nazi with their fiercely-sadistic way. It is also about a jewish girl (Melanie Laurent), unfortunately was the only survivor when Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) killed her entire family. Afterwards, she ran a cinema that incidentally rented by Nazi for their important occasion. She has a revenge-plan to demolish whole cinema with all Gestapo and Nazi superior inside. Simply, QT never focuses on one-man-show. With his unique directing, QT takes us to his world where anything could be different. From first chapter, we already serve by thoughtful and memorable dialogue. I think the power of QT movie is on the dialogue, unpredicted plots, sometimes comical, and fills with memorable characters in each of his movie. If you free-minded enough then you can enjoy QT movies. Like Col. Hans Landa said (when he was on the farmer house on early scene), I ask your permission to switch to English for the remainder of the conversation.. Well, lets enjoy QT language.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  44. May 31, 2011
    This is overall great filmmaking in the tradition of the great Italo-Western genre. It reminds of movies by Sergio Leone with the music of Ennio Morricone. "Inglourious Basterds" is a bit long - at 2.5 hours not unlike its role models - but there are some truly amazing acting performances (deriving from an awesome script) that are worth sitting through in this epic. A recurringThis is overall great filmmaking in the tradition of the great Italo-Western genre. It reminds of movies by Sergio Leone with the music of Ennio Morricone. "Inglourious Basterds" is a bit long - at 2.5 hours not unlike its role models - but there are some truly amazing acting performances (deriving from an awesome script) that are worth sitting through in this epic. A recurring aspect of the movie is about how far you would go to either save your life or die for your values. The scenes dealing with decisions like these are not judge-able morally, for both options are morally bad (being partly responsible for someone's murder or being killed yourself). The question only is, what the lesser evil is for yourself. What is problematic about watching this movie (more often) is that it does desensitize one to genuine depictions of murder and cruelty.  Collapse
  45. POV
    Apr 3, 2011
    A dream alternative scenario to the terrors of WWII. The signature Tarantino witty dialogue you've been salivating for since Death Proof? Check. The sharp, enjoyable and cunning characters spreading over the whole spectrum of human psychology? Check.
    I enjoyed the music, the historical allusions, the Master Christoph Waltz, the plot. Maybe not all of the 2 and a half hours, but definitely the most part. YES!!
  46. Jun 3, 2011
    Actually, Aldo Rayne is Quentin Tarantino for himself, saying "I think this just may be my masterpiece", being hilariously selfish and changing all the natural curse of History and WWII, in this very smart and covered of references cinematographic vengeance against the Nazism. With a big support of Christoph Waltz, maybe Tarantino was really right about the masterpiece thing.
  47. Jul 18, 2011
    The Best movie of 2009! And the best film by Quentin Tarantino. It's fantastic, a film for the cinema! In my opinion Inglourious Basterds has a perfect cast, ana script almost perfect, the best cinematography ever, and a brillant work of editing and sound effects. Tarantino grewn up with this movie, that probably is going to be a cult, in some years. Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa isThe Best movie of 2009! And the best film by Quentin Tarantino. It's fantastic, a film for the cinema! In my opinion Inglourious Basterds has a perfect cast, ana script almost perfect, the best cinematography ever, and a brillant work of editing and sound effects. Tarantino grewn up with this movie, that probably is going to be a cult, in some years. Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa is fantastic, and the Brad Pitt's Aldo Raine is hilarious! You must watch it! Expand
  48. Dec 24, 2011
    An action-packed, edge-of-your-seat, stunningly acted wow-fest, this movie delivers. Quentin Tarantino proves again why he's the best in the business and Christoph Waltz proves why foreign actors are better than American. Although it is certainly not the feel good movie of the year, you will find your jaw dropping multiple times as you discover how brilliant this film truly is.
  49. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    You know what you're getting into when you go to a Tarantino movie. Lot's of action, sharp dialogue, and a entertaining story line. With all the remakes and comic book movies, it's nice to know someone original, like Tarantino, is writing and directing today.
  50. Jul 25, 2011
    First of, stop posting opinions that are absurd. This is for critique and reviews, not for complaining.

The overall moving was great. There were dragging scenes,(exa.: the beginning where landa was questioning Lapadite about hiding jews in his house), and the ending wasn't exactly 'picture perfect', and the scalping was...ehhh, ewww? But other then that the moving was amazing. And I don't see how it is fair to give a movie a '0'. A movie SHOULD NEVER receive a zero. It's not fair, and to those who DO give zeros, you're probably people who are either anti-war, like nazis, ect.(You know).
  51. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. every man can dream it, but only one man can do it: kill adolf hitler. i most certainly wasn't expecting Basterds to become an alternate history movie, and i know not to expect anything from quentin tarantino. i was sort of going into this movie for just the violence, but i found the dialogues to be the more interesting part. the action on tarantino's behalf is always more of the 'person A shoots person B' type, in a wa that it's not really that visually interesting, but i think that makes it more realistic. i only give tens to movies that i thought didn't have a single mistake, and i carefully consider giving any movie one of them. this time, i was a bit doubtful, thinking if the movie could have been any more perfect, but by heart went out for the golden medal, so here we are. Expand
  52. Oct 8, 2011
    The Tarantino take on World War II is far more sensible and respectful than anyone would have imagined. The genius balance between the darkest of black comedy and heart wrenching tragedy is, in a word, sublime. Even in the first twenty minutes, I found myself on the verge of tears, and then five seconds later laughing my guts out. Or my scalp off.
    The tale follows an elaborate plot to kill
    The tale follows an elaborate plot to kill Hitler and his cohorts, recruiting a German movie star, a delightfully murderous â
  53. Jan 29, 2012
    spellbound
    great narration
    intelligent photography
    typical tarantino film
    overall performance good
    as for hans landa aka christoph waltz is just too good man too good
  54. Dec 29, 2012
    I will begin this review by stating that this my favorite Tarantino film to date. The movie has received flak by critics for portrayal of the Jewish American men being and reflecting the brutality of the Nazis against the German opposition. While I feel this is unfair and those who feel this way are missing the point of this movie entirely. The movie is a fantasy WWII movie about whatI will begin this review by stating that this my favorite Tarantino film to date. The movie has received flak by critics for portrayal of the Jewish American men being and reflecting the brutality of the Nazis against the German opposition. While I feel this is unfair and those who feel this way are missing the point of this movie entirely. The movie is a fantasy WWII movie about what people wanted to happen in the War. It is safe to say that Nazis are some the most hated group of people in the history of our planet. With hatred comes the ability for people to dehumanize the Nazi. People tend to not care how they are treated and even forget that not every, and even most Germans, were not Nazis. The Jewish-American treatment of the Germans was brutal and graphic because Tarantino wanted people to realize that they were Nazis and at the same time were still people.
    The movie itself is beautifully directed with emotional dialog and no shortage of action. Those who are upset at the overly gory action and violence have apparently not watched Quentin Tarantino films before. If you dislike or despise this, then don't watch Quentin Tarantino. The two storylines in the movie were both artfully crafted with as much character development as possible when you try to split time evenly between two separate and equally as important parts. Golden movie, loved every moment. Highly recommended unless you don't like reading subtitles; there are a lot of subtitles.
  55. Feb 27, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino has created a monster, as the marketing suggests, Brad Pitt is a Basterd, Eli Roth is a Basterd and so on, this is a film that aims so high and mighty, and hits all the marks without fail, a true masterpiece from Tarantino as he continues to exceed himself.
    Set during the first year of the German occupation of France, the film tells a variety of stories, one being the tale of runaway Jew Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) who escapes from the Lt. Hans Landa played by the brilliant Christophe Waltz, who is a chilling but calm character in his delivery, but it is ultimately the pacing and the shear unorthodox film-making skills of Tarantino that truly set this film off on a frantic run that just doesn't stop.
    Brad Pitt puts a typically stellar performance as Lt. Aldo Raine, the leader of the Basterds, who tasks his men with killing and scalping Nazi soldiers, Shosanna, meanwhile, has now changed her name and owns a cinema in Paris, and the opportunity arises for her to exact revenge on the Nazis thanks to her owning said cinema.
    This is quite an ensemble cast including Diane Kruger, Eli Roth, B.J. Novak, the multi-talented Michael Fassbender and even Mike Myers. Also look out for voiceovers by Samuel L. Jackson and Harvey Kietel The truly remarkable feat achieved by this film is that no one actor or actress entirely populates the movie, the film consistently cuts to different situations in an effort to tell a story for each character, and to truly introduce each persona as having an important role to play in the film.
    The Tarantino style is told from the get-go, as just like Kill Bill, the film is told in chapters, with small snippets of his work throughout, the gore, the bizarre dialogue, but most of all, the engaging and tense long scenes which really set the tone of a thrilling film, with the viewer not being quite sure just what is going to happen next in many of the scenes, a particular one being that involving a small French tavern where Fassbenders character is meeting a double agent, this is simply the highlight of the film, it has drama, different cuts and nail-biting dialogue to suggest throughout it that something just isn't right.
    The cinematography is simply excellent and thought-provokingly unique, offering various incarnations of an environment that just add to the gleaming picture.
    It has all the makings to be a classic, with particularly mind-blowing performances, especially from Christophe Waltz, who is just an absolute treat to admire in his capabilities throughout the entire film.
    To quote Lt. Aldo Raine, which Tarantino should now use for himself..."This just might be my masterpiece"
  56. Jan 16, 2012
    I liked it but it doesnt really hold up well compared to other movies by Tarantino. Took a bit too much to get into. The acting was solid. The plot was interest. A lot of over the top action. Its enjoyable but far from perfect.
  57. May 27, 2012
    A war movie only Tarantino can pull off. I knew it was special when I saw it in theaters, and with every watch my respect only grows. Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine is one of my favorite performances ever. "I think this might just be my masterpiece." Yes, Quentin Tarantino, it's one of many from you but it is, indeed, a masterpiece.
  58. Jan 4, 2012
    Christoph Waltz indeed made this film the epic that it is. It however can drag just a little bit, if it was cut 20 minutes or so shorter that would be great, but despite that it was still a great film. The movie must be seen for Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Hans Landa, he was perfect in his scenes in every way. He made the movie. Also Brad Pitt had his funny moments as well, heChristoph Waltz indeed made this film the epic that it is. It however can drag just a little bit, if it was cut 20 minutes or so shorter that would be great, but despite that it was still a great film. The movie must be seen for Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Hans Landa, he was perfect in his scenes in every way. He made the movie. Also Brad Pitt had his funny moments as well, he was pretty good at his role as well. Expand
  59. Feb 7, 2012
    this movie is so great, its one of my favourite movies of all time it deserved more oscars Christopher Waltz deserved that oscar but a few more to this movie would of been better
  60. Feb 20, 2012
    The french touch make me smile when I saw Melanie Laurent who is a great actress . It's was very disapointing to see that she wasn't nominee for the great work she did on that movie. By the way, this is funny and brilliant one. May be Tarantino's best.
  61. Nov 16, 2012
    For me this is by far Tarantino's second best movie. The first scene in this movie is one of the best and most intense that I have seen in any movie...ever. The way that Tarantino can put together such a lengthy scene like this, packing a punch with the dialogue, the intensity, and developing his characters. In one scene we can see what kind of character Waltz will be through the entireFor me this is by far Tarantino's second best movie. The first scene in this movie is one of the best and most intense that I have seen in any movie...ever. The way that Tarantino can put together such a lengthy scene like this, packing a punch with the dialogue, the intensity, and developing his characters. In one scene we can see what kind of character Waltz will be through the entire film. Absolutely brilliant. The opening scene and the scene in the bar, which lasts probably half an hour by itself, are enough to make this one of my favorite movies. There are a couple points at which this movie drags just a bit, and this is what keeps it from being a perfect 10 in my opinion. In my estimation Tarantino has three movies: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Basterds, that show that he is a brilliant story teller, writer, and casts his movies flawlessly. It is a shame he cannot show these capabilities every time he makes a film. Expand
  62. Aug 25, 2012
    Cristoph Waltz is beyond outstanding in this film, one of the best performances that I have ever seen in a war film even though it is a very light-hearted war film. Inglorious Basterds really shines through as a film which lives up to stereotypes yet still works almost because of them rather than in spite of them. I wasn't sure about certain parts of the film and whether they really fitCristoph Waltz is beyond outstanding in this film, one of the best performances that I have ever seen in a war film even though it is a very light-hearted war film. Inglorious Basterds really shines through as a film which lives up to stereotypes yet still works almost because of them rather than in spite of them. I wasn't sure about certain parts of the film and whether they really fit into the rest of the picture but I almost always enjoyed scenes with Waltz or Pitt. Expand
  63. Aug 14, 2012
    If lengthy conversations at tables are not your thing, then Inglourious Basterds probably won't be up your alley. It definitely has that Tarantino style to it, so don't go into it expecting a lot of shootouts or explosions, although the film does have some of those. It is a very talky movie, so talky that it can become cringe inducing. However, I think it's a fine movie. While the talkingIf lengthy conversations at tables are not your thing, then Inglourious Basterds probably won't be up your alley. It definitely has that Tarantino style to it, so don't go into it expecting a lot of shootouts or explosions, although the film does have some of those. It is a very talky movie, so talky that it can become cringe inducing. However, I think it's a fine movie. While the talking scenes didn't really thrill movie, there are some good performances to be found here. Brad Pitt is good here but it's Christoph Waltz who really shines here. There are also a few surprising moments that some may not see coming, with a bit of tension that helps build up to those surprises. I may have to give the movie another viewing to see if I like it better, but for now, my opinion is that it's a well made and decent movie, but it's certainly not one of Tarantino's best. Expand
  64. Dec 20, 2012
    It is extremely violent, grostesque, and offensive. However, beyond that, it is an achievement in cinema. It's not the only offensive thing out there. (Bruno..?) That is a different story. I can understand why people hate this movie. It's not enertaining in the slightest. It is not supposed to be. It is supposed to be a story. A story set up so that we feel all the repulsiveness. SomeIt is extremely violent, grostesque, and offensive. However, beyond that, it is an achievement in cinema. It's not the only offensive thing out there. (Bruno..?) That is a different story. I can understand why people hate this movie. It's not enertaining in the slightest. It is not supposed to be. It is supposed to be a story. A story set up so that we feel all the repulsiveness. Some people can't get it. It's a dark movie. And I still love it for what it is. Great job! Great movie, but it's not for the squeamish. Expand
  65. Nov 7, 2012
    Bastards is Tarantino's best movie since Pulp Fiction, and its an adrenaline fueled epic and an audacious war film that manages to sizzle with both familiarity and complete originality. He's taken World War II and made it his own.
  66. Nov 28, 2012
    An uncommonly brutal, yet relentlessly gripping ride. Tarantino doesn't disappoint.
  67. Feb 24, 2013
    A brilliant film that's one of Tarantino's absolute best. Some of the scenes run a bit long, but the sharp screenplay moves the plot along nicely. Solid performances. One of the best of 2009!
  68. Mar 9, 2013
    People say Tarantino's best is Pulp Fiction. I will have to say that Basterds was more pleasing on several levels. This WWII half spoof half seriousness pleases audiences everywhere making it a truly memorable film.
  69. Apr 5, 2013
    Wow, this movie is awesome. Tarantino never disappoints me by so far. The actors are very good and the story better. This is the movie I search for over a year, with this kind of action and war. Very good film.
  70. Jul 7, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewritesInglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewrites history by doing what every sane person on the planet would loved to have had the opportunity to do. Basterds is a long movie and one that doesn't always work, but when it does, it's absolutely mesmerizing. There's a lot going on in Inglorious Basterds, but Tarantino divides up the film into five chapters to give every character his or her due and every plotline time to develop. The first chapter introduces us to creepy Col. Hans Landa (nickname: The Jew Hunter). Landa enters a French farmhouse to interrogate dairy farmer Perrier LaPadite (Denis Menochet) and the scene that unfolds is a work of art, deserving of a second, and even third viewing. Landa asks for milk, seems as friendly as a kitten as he compliments the farmer on his delicious, nutritious product, and then, slowly, smoothly, the claws come out. Landa's evil incarnate, and he knows how to manipulate his prey without resorting to threatening behavior. Landa's after a family of Jewish farmers who've managed to elude him, and with an eerie calmness he weaves a story of hawks and rats, and turns the stalwart LaPadite into quivering prey. Other chapters introduce us to the remaining key players in the Inglourious Basterds universe. Lt Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt using a hilariously over-the-top accent) commands the Basterds, an elite group of Jewish soldiers whose sole purpose is to kill Nazis. But not just kill Nazis...no, the Basterds are out to butcher and scalp, exacting their special form of retribution on the Nazis for the horrors they inflected on Jewish men, women and children. While the Basterds joyously go about their Nazi killing mission, in Paris theater owner Shosanna (Melanie Laurent) goes about plotting her own revenge on the invading force. Pursued romantically by Nazi war hero Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Bruhl), Shosanna is presented with the opportunity to kill hundreds of Nazis in one fell swoop. Fredrick's exploits from earlier in the war have been immortalized in a movie directed by high-ranking official Joseph Goebbels (Sylvester Groth) and starring Fredrick as himself. Fredrick's wooing of Shosanna leads him to campaign for a change of venue for the premiere of Goebbels' film, Nation's Pride. Believing it will win over the French beauty, he requests Goebbels hold the event at Shosanna's theater, thus providing Shosanna with an unbelievable opportunity to wipe out Hitler and other major players in the Nazi party. Meanwhile, German's shining star of the silver screen, Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) is also involved in a plan to end Hitler's reign of terror. Working with the Basterds, von Hammersmark is plotting to take out Hitler at the film's premiere, which leads to the main players of Inglourious Basterds finally, at long last, coming together as the film winds toward its delicious, violent, explosive final act. Inglourious Basterds presents an alternate history, one far more pleasing than reality. Yes, it's talky, loaded with references to films past, and when things get violent, Tarantino doesn't shirk from showing the gore. But every single word in Inglourious Basterds is necessary, every scene serves a specific purpose, and every one of its 152 minutes is vital to the overall story. Tarantino is doing Tarantino here, but he's also showing a more restrained and focused style we haven't seen before from the man behind Reservoir Dogs and Grindhouse: Death Proof. Tarantino wedges in just as many film references as he's done with his prior movies, but not to the point of distraction as has occurred in some of his past work. Inglourious Basterds is a twisted World War II film filled with witty dialogue, rife with colorful characters, and sure to stir up controversy over its reshaping of history. Perfectly cast and exquisitely shot and edited, this is one WWII movie in which the outcome isn't lifted from the history books. It will, however, go down in history as one of Tarantino's most intriguing and entertaining films. Expand
  71. Jun 18, 2013
    A film carried by Christoph Waltz's brilliant performance. He mixes menacing evil with a sense of style through Tarantino's fantastic script. Tarantino continues to be one of the great directors of our time.
  72. Mar 13, 2013
    Inglorious Basterds is a film for those who love great cinema. But when the story drags and violence becomes a bit old it is hard to keep from becoming bored. Until Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) delivers a superb performance and jolts you right back into the story of a movie owner, group of Jewish solders, and one plan to kill the whole third reich.
  73. May 24, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino is an excellent director of crime thrillers, so it was interesting to find out that he had written a WW2 movie. The result is a satirical epic with some great acting (particularly from Christoph Waltz) and violent set pieces. In comparison to most Tarantino films this is mediocre, but its still an enjoyable (though not necessarily true) film but the long running timeQuentin Tarantino is an excellent director of crime thrillers, so it was interesting to find out that he had written a WW2 movie. The result is a satirical epic with some great acting (particularly from Christoph Waltz) and violent set pieces. In comparison to most Tarantino films this is mediocre, but its still an enjoyable (though not necessarily true) film but the long running time could have been condensed. Otherwise, another Tarantino masterpiece. Expand
  74. Apr 25, 2013
    Best movie of Tarantino since Pulp Fiction Amazing film with a bunch of legendary scenes. Christoph Waltz he gives us one of the best performances of all time, no joke.
  75. Jun 25, 2013
    It's not historically accurate, but that's not what you should see this movie for. Why you need to see this is because of many things: Fantastic acting. Wonderful dialogue. Great story and plot. To top it all of, the movie is the type that can be watched over and over again. The best Tarantino movie for sure and in my top 10.
  76. Feb 11, 2014
    Absolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of BradAbsolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of Brad Pitt's predominantly INCREDIBLE (as always, mr. Pitt) performance, or maybe it was all that and more that made me really like this movie throughout (almost) every minute with a whopping playtime of two hours and about twenty five minutes. Expand
  77. Nov 3, 2013
    With great performances from Michael Fassbender and Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds is a fine combination of action and comedy in the backdrop of WWII Europe.
  78. Sep 13, 2013
    Had an incredibly strong start, however lost a bit of enjoyment during the middle, and got exciting again at the end. Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz provide masterful performances. The writing is excellent as a Tarantino film should be. Stands out as an incredibly bold, ambitious, and enjoyable film even if the middle is incredibly boring in contrast to the beginning.
  79. Sep 4, 2013
    Really nice story, if you've seen game of thrones or fantasy, and have a passion for knowledge of WWII, this is one of the best films for you too watch. Loads of people are saying the plot is too slow moving, but I disagree, as it allows you to take in exactly what is happening and links all the stories together.
    By far one of my favorite films 10/10 would watch again
  80. Jan 3, 2014
    Inglorious Basterds is very good filmmaking on Tarantino's part, but some scenes tend to drag on, and the movie feels a bit scattered at times. Other than that, Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz were very enjoyable.
  81. Feb 21, 2014
    I love it. I love everything about it; the comedy is great, the acting is done very well, and the story s great. This movie has one or two flaws but overall 9/10
  82. Nov 23, 2013
    Besides of not being as genial as pulp fiction this movie of tarantino is another great reward on the career of this brilliant director,it have some mistakes but is good after all.
  83. Jan 14, 2014
    When I heard I was going to watch this movie in cinema, I began to sulk but when Brad Pitt's character was introduced, I nearly spilled my Gatorade due to that thick humorous American accent. The movie lost it's way somewhere in the middle but the ending was...Bravo! One of my favorite movies!
  84. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Inglourious Basterds wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't as good as Pulp Fiction or Django Unchained (the other Tarantino movies I've seen), but there was very good acting.
  85. Jun 14, 2015
    The movie had a great original idea and an all-star cast so why is the movie not better?Probably because the movie gets boring pretty fast and some of the acting performances were not that good but,Eli Roth was pretty good.The action sequences were really well made and the movie was pretty bloody but the movie could have been much better.
  86. Oct 21, 2014
    In the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts ofIn the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts of retribution. Later known to their enemy as "the basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget von Hammersmark on a mission to take down the leaders of the Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquis, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own. Expand
  87. Oct 26, 2014
    What a whopper of a war film. Great job QT! I definitely need to see this one again. Diane Kruger is fabulous as are all the rest the cast. You will find yourself swept up by the acting and the scenery. You can't help but cheer for Shoshanna.
  88. Nov 22, 2014
    QUENTIN **** TARANTINO KNOCKS IT OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FENWAY PARK ON IT'S FEET FOR QUENTIN **** MOVIE!!!!!!!! He went yardo on that one, out to **** Hollywood.
  89. Nov 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Written and directed masterfully by Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds was a thrill ride all the way through with Christoph Waltz's brilliant Oscar winning role as Hans Landa and Brad Pitt's role as the Nazi scalping LT. Aldo Raine had me laughing all the way through. Inglourious Basterds tells the the tale of a bunch of Americans in Nazi occupied France near the end of War World 2. You can tell that this is Tarantino's take on how Hitler should have died and should have been killed, with the awesome scene near the end(Spoilers), where the Americans burn the theater with all the Nazi's in there and you see two American soldiers gun down Hitler and his accomplice. Tarantino is one of the best screenwriters/directors working today with such hits under his belt like, Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, and Reservir Dogs and with only one bad movie under his belt which is Death Proof. But after all that I'm going to give Inglourious Bastereds an A+. Check it out guys its worth a watch. Expand
  90. Dec 1, 2014
    I am not a Tarantino fan with the exception of Reservoir Dogs (which I cannot fully explain), but this film is something else! Seriously, Christoph Waltz is unreal and the dialogue is worth every moment, even the base conversation in the farmhouse in the opening sequence.

I can also identify and understand it is not for everyone; however, it is undeniably unique, captivating, entertaining, twitch inducing, and during a few moments, difficult to watch, yet I only enjoy the more I see it.

Correction: This film was directed by Taratino while Eli Roth was uncredited.
  91. Jun 6, 2015
    Watching a Tarantino movie is always fun, and more when it's about an alternative version of history in which a group of people called Inglourious Basterds attacks the Nazi Germany for revenge in the middle of the World War II. Amazing direction, very fun scenes, a surprising amount of humour, incredible acting, and incredible action, make this one of the greatest Tarantino movies ever made.
  92. Apr 25, 2015
    With Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino has made his best movie since Pulp Fiction. He has also made what could arguably be considered the most audacious World War II movie of all-time. If you think there are rules for this sort of motion picture, guess again. And it's not just that Tarantino is using the spaghetti western as his template; it's that the sheer unpredictability of whereWith Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino has made his best movie since Pulp Fiction. He has also made what could arguably be considered the most audacious World War II movie of all-time. If you think there are rules for this sort of motion picture, guess again. And it's not just that Tarantino is using the spaghetti western as his template; it's that the sheer unpredictability of where all this is going makes it compelling from beginning to end. Even the film's occasional artistic flourishes (such as chapter titles and out-of-period music pieces) work within the context of what Tarantino is trying to accomplish. This is clearly an attempt by the director to expand his range and step outside of the comfort zone in which he has worked for the majority of his career.

Tarantino brings to Inglourious Basterds his not inconsiderable knowledge of films. The movie is awash in references - some subtle, some obvious - that run the gamut from D-grade exploitation flicks to A-list classics. This is not, as has been reported in some places, a remake of the 1978 feature The Inglorious Bastards, although the title is an homage. Reportedly, some of Tarantino's nascent versions of the screenplay used elements of the earlier film, but those are mostly gone in the final edition. This is pretty much 100% Tarantino, which could be good or bad, depending on your opinion of the man's work.

Tarantino loves dialogue and, between taut, brutal action sequences, there's a lot of talking. The conversations aren't as elliptical as some of those in the director's previous efforts, but there are some intriguing moments - a Nazi providing a detailed comparison between Jew-hunting and rat-hunting, a 20 questions-like guessing game with the answer of "King Kong," and a reverse Cinderella encounter in which having a foot to fit the shoe is not a good thing. (Tarantino gets his trademark foot fetish shot in this scene.) There is a point to the talk, however, that goes beyond the filmmaker showing off his skill with words. All these scenes precede instances of sudden, violent action and the threat of bloodshed is heavy in the air. With every sentence, the tension mounts. Tarantino uses these sequences to prime the audience, teasing them until the suspense is nearly unbearable, then releasing it in one explosive burst.

Watching Inglourious Basterds, I was reminded of Paul Verhoeven's Black Book and Bryan Singer's Valkyrie, both of which contain themes and ideas that are echoed here. This is no Schindler's List. It's not about nobility or sacrifice. It's about the dirty, bloody side of war. Yes, there's heroism, but a lot is hidden away in order for those who receive medals to retain a patina of valor. Inglourious Basterds is suffused with dark humor - so much so that it's tempting to label it an action/comedy. There are laugh-out-loud moments, and not one guffaw is the result of something unintentional. This is nothing new for Tarantino, who has always interwoven humor with violence, but its incorporation here, amidst some of his bleakest material, is refreshingly unsettling.

Inglourious Basterds isn't as fresh and freewheeling as Pulp Fiction, but Tarantino is now an established director and a known quantity. That he is able to successfully pull off some of what he does in this movie is a testimony to his skill at both writing and directing. Yes - he borrows heavily and shamelessly from other movies, but it's in the unique fusion of those sources and styles that he achieves his success. Despite having so many antecedents, Inglourious Basterds quickly carves out its own niche. The running length is a gaudy 153 minutes, yet the film moves so smoothly and the moving parts come together so cleanly that the time passes easily. This is the movie I have been awaiting since Pulp Fiction. It's one hell of an enjoyable ride into the nightmare that was Nazi-occupied France, and thinking you know how it all ends doesn't make it so.
  93. Apr 26, 2015
    Inglourious Basterds is a fine example of Quentin Tarantino trying his hand at revisionist history and for the most part, succeeding. The dialogue, character driven narrative, and cinematography are outstanding, but the film meanders a little too much for my liking here and there, and culminates rather underwhelmingly. However, the film showcases so many small glimpses of Tarantino'sInglourious Basterds is a fine example of Quentin Tarantino trying his hand at revisionist history and for the most part, succeeding. The dialogue, character driven narrative, and cinematography are outstanding, but the film meanders a little too much for my liking here and there, and culminates rather underwhelmingly. However, the film showcases so many small glimpses of Tarantino's directorial genius at so many different moments, that even if all the story elements don't quite mesh together well as a cohesive whole, it is a somewhat forgivable offense. Expand
  94. Jun 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Inglorious Basterds is my second favorite WW2 movie (number one being Saving Private Ryan). This movie is extremely different from any other WW2 movie as it takes non-fiction, and adds more fiction than any other WW2 movie out there. I mean, Hitler does die. But the movie is also very realistic as well. One of my favorite characters in the film is Col. Hans Landa (Christopher Waltz). Christopher Waltz gives an amazing performance as a cold hearted Nazi Colonel named Hans Landa, who is nicknamed in the film as the Jewish Hunter. He is exactly that. The Inglorious Basterds humiliate him at the end by carving a swastika into his head. This movie will please Tarantino fans because of its random violent moments where they can be taking but a second later they can be blowing each others heads off. Great movie overall. 8/10 Expand
  95. Aug 8, 2015
    Suspense, humor, sadness, shock, and of course... Good old Tarantino violence! This movie really had a lot to it and was just an all around fun movie to watch and re-watch. Each scene was brilliantly shot and the story was a wonderful twist on WWII history. The acting was great aswell (hats off to christoph waltz, and i really enjoyed brad Pitt too) great dialogue and beautifully scoredSuspense, humor, sadness, shock, and of course... Good old Tarantino violence! This movie really had a lot to it and was just an all around fun movie to watch and re-watch. Each scene was brilliantly shot and the story was a wonderful twist on WWII history. The acting was great aswell (hats off to christoph waltz, and i really enjoyed brad Pitt too) great dialogue and beautifully scored (typical Tarantino) and I found myself smiling and laughing at things that I wouldn't normally find funny. All in all great movie and a must see Expand
  96. Jun 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quentin Tarantino: well-made, excessively violent, revengeful, and tackles tough subjects with dark humor. Inglourious Basterds fits the bill once again. Taking place during World War II France, the Germans have occupied and the use of language was brilliant. The true tell-tale sign of which character was which is in the tongue. And as we find out later, can also lead to death if spoken with an incorrect accent.

Shoshanna, our real hero, loses her family almost at the beginning when they are given up after being hidden in the cellar. This starts our journey of Nazi killing and so much violence I could throw up. The extreme violence and gore portrayed can almost give a false sense of emotion, because some are forced to look away and find the entire story revolting, perhaps because of the scalping and the blood instead of the story, but that's just me. The Inglourious Basterds are the heroes of the story – what gives us hope in this extremely hopeless situation. Without an opponent, the Nazis steamroll the entire population and it's hard to watch. With giving us hope and a light at the end of the table, enjoyment can be found. However, I don't like the pomp and circumstance that either side gives to death.

The Nazis (Hitler especially) seems to be horrified by the fact that someone may oppose him and silences most knowings about the Basterds, despite the notoriety of the swastikas on foreheads because once a Nazi, always a Nazi. Shoshanna is alive and well four years later, with the ever-handsome Marcel. "I don't want to be your friend." Why couldn't it all end there? Instead, Frederick Zoller decides he is much too important to be dismissed by any girl. He's intrigued and finds a way to force himself into her life. What he doesn't know is that there is literally zero chance in hell of this ever working out because NAZIS KILLED HER WHOLE FAMILY! Cruel humor, huh. She's even reunited with the man who killed them, yet remains unrecognized.

Now we have Shoshanna and the Basterds, both wanting to destroy this movie premiere and kill the Nazis in two different suicide missions. Shoshanna's goes pretty much without a hitch, but the basterds have a completely different situation. They're found out, many in the squadron are killed, and as it turns out, Landa is even a double agent. It's almost as if we know how the movie is going to end, but it's the story that is so uncertain.

"Are you so used to the Nazis kissing your ass you've forgotten what the word 'no' means?" "I'm not a man you can say 'go away' to." And there we say goodbye to Shoshanna and Zoller. Don't Tarantino's movies always end in death of everyone we like? Ultimately, the cinema explodes and there's a deal with Landa to be had. The basterds just do what they do best – kill when they don't need to and harm forever. In a war who can we really root for? Maybe one side over another, but wouldn't life be better with neither.

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?