7.7

1. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    You know what you're getting into when you go to a Tarantino movie. Lot's of action, sharp dialogue, and a entertaining story line. With all the remakes and comic book movies, it's nice to know someone original, like Tarantino, is writing and directing today.
  2. Jul 25, 2011
    First of, stop posting opinions that are absurd. This is for critique and reviews, not for complaining.

The overall moving was great. There were dragging scenes,(exa.: the beginning where landa was questioning Lapadite about hiding jews in his house), and the ending wasn't exactly 'picture perfect', and the scalping was...ehhh, ewww? But other then that the moving was amazing. And I don't see how it is fair to give a movie a '0'. A movie SHOULD NEVER receive a zero. It's not fair, and to those who DO give zeros, you're probably people who are either anti-war, like nazis, ect.(You know).
  3. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. every man can dream it, but only one man can do it: kill adolf hitler. i most certainly wasn't expecting Basterds to become an alternate history movie, and i know not to expect anything from quentin tarantino. i was sort of going into this movie for just the violence, but i found the dialogues to be the more interesting part. the action on tarantino's behalf is always more of the 'person A shoots person B' type, in a wa that it's not really that visually interesting, but i think that makes it more realistic. i only give tens to movies that i thought didn't have a single mistake, and i carefully consider giving any movie one of them. this time, i was a bit doubtful, thinking if the movie could have been any more perfect, but by heart went out for the golden medal, so here we are. Expand
  4. Oct 8, 2011
    The Tarantino take on World War II is far more sensible and respectful than anyone would have imagined. The genius balance between the darkest of black comedy and heart wrenching tragedy is, in a word, sublime. Even in the first twenty minutes, I found myself on the verge of tears, and then five seconds later laughing my guts out. Or my scalp off.
    The tale follows an elaborate plot to kill
    The tale follows an elaborate plot to kill Hitler and his cohorts, recruiting a German movie star, a delightfully murderous â
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    I will begin this review by stating that this my favorite Tarantino film to date. The movie has received flak by critics for portrayal of the Jewish American men being and reflecting the brutality of the Nazis against the German opposition. While I feel this is unfair and those who feel this way are missing the point of this movie entirely. The movie is a fantasy WWII movie about whatI will begin this review by stating that this my favorite Tarantino film to date. The movie has received flak by critics for portrayal of the Jewish American men being and reflecting the brutality of the Nazis against the German opposition. While I feel this is unfair and those who feel this way are missing the point of this movie entirely. The movie is a fantasy WWII movie about what people wanted to happen in the War. It is safe to say that Nazis are some the most hated group of people in the history of our planet. With hatred comes the ability for people to dehumanize the Nazi. People tend to not care how they are treated and even forget that not every, and even most Germans, were not Nazis. The Jewish-American treatment of the Germans was brutal and graphic because Tarantino wanted people to realize that they were Nazis and at the same time were still people.
    The movie itself is beautifully directed with emotional dialog and no shortage of action. Those who are upset at the overly gory action and violence have apparently not watched Quentin Tarantino films before. If you dislike or despise this, then don't watch Quentin Tarantino. The two storylines in the movie were both artfully crafted with as much character development as possible when you try to split time evenly between two separate and equally as important parts. Golden movie, loved every moment. Highly recommended unless you don't like reading subtitles; there are a lot of subtitles.
  6. Feb 27, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino has created a monster, as the marketing suggests, Brad Pitt is a Basterd, Eli Roth is a Basterd and so on, this is a film that aims so high and mighty, and hits all the marks without fail, a true masterpiece from Tarantino as he continues to exceed himself.
    Set during the first year of the German occupation of France, the film tells a variety of stories, one being the tale of runaway Jew Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) who escapes from the Lt. Hans Landa played by the brilliant Christophe Waltz, who is a chilling but calm character in his delivery, but it is ultimately the pacing and the shear unorthodox film-making skills of Tarantino that truly set this film off on a frantic run that just doesn't stop.
    Brad Pitt puts a typically stellar performance as Lt. Aldo Raine, the leader of the Basterds, who tasks his men with killing and scalping Nazi soldiers, Shosanna, meanwhile, has now changed her name and owns a cinema in Paris, and the opportunity arises for her to exact revenge on the Nazis thanks to her owning said cinema.
    This is quite an ensemble cast including Diane Kruger, Eli Roth, B.J. Novak, the multi-talented Michael Fassbender and even Mike Myers. Also look out for voiceovers by Samuel L. Jackson and Harvey Kietel The truly remarkable feat achieved by this film is that no one actor or actress entirely populates the movie, the film consistently cuts to different situations in an effort to tell a story for each character, and to truly introduce each persona as having an important role to play in the film.
    The Tarantino style is told from the get-go, as just like Kill Bill, the film is told in chapters, with small snippets of his work throughout, the gore, the bizarre dialogue, but most of all, the engaging and tense long scenes which really set the tone of a thrilling film, with the viewer not being quite sure just what is going to happen next in many of the scenes, a particular one being that involving a small French tavern where Fassbenders character is meeting a double agent, this is simply the highlight of the film, it has drama, different cuts and nail-biting dialogue to suggest throughout it that something just isn't right.
    The cinematography is simply excellent and thought-provokingly unique, offering various incarnations of an environment that just add to the gleaming picture.
    It has all the makings to be a classic, with particularly mind-blowing performances, especially from Christophe Waltz, who is just an absolute treat to admire in his capabilities throughout the entire film.
    To quote Lt. Aldo Raine, which Tarantino should now use for himself..."This just might be my masterpiece"
  7. May 27, 2012
    A war movie only Tarantino can pull off. I knew it was special when I saw it in theaters, and with every watch my respect only grows. Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine is one of my favorite performances ever. "I think this might just be my masterpiece." Yes, Quentin Tarantino, it's one of many from you but it is, indeed, a masterpiece.
  8. Jan 4, 2012
    Christoph Waltz indeed made this film the epic that it is. It however can drag just a little bit, if it was cut 20 minutes or so shorter that would be great, but despite that it was still a great film. The movie must be seen for Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Hans Landa, he was perfect in his scenes in every way. He made the movie. Also Brad Pitt had his funny moments as well, heChristoph Waltz indeed made this film the epic that it is. It however can drag just a little bit, if it was cut 20 minutes or so shorter that would be great, but despite that it was still a great film. The movie must be seen for Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Hans Landa, he was perfect in his scenes in every way. He made the movie. Also Brad Pitt had his funny moments as well, he was pretty good at his role as well. Collapse
  9. Feb 7, 2012
    this movie is so great, its one of my favourite movies of all time it deserved more oscars Christopher Waltz deserved that oscar but a few more to this movie would of been better
  10. Nov 16, 2012
    For me this is by far Tarantino's second best movie. The first scene in this movie is one of the best and most intense that I have seen in any movie...ever. The way that Tarantino can put together such a lengthy scene like this, packing a punch with the dialogue, the intensity, and developing his characters. In one scene we can see what kind of character Waltz will be through the entireFor me this is by far Tarantino's second best movie. The first scene in this movie is one of the best and most intense that I have seen in any movie...ever. The way that Tarantino can put together such a lengthy scene like this, packing a punch with the dialogue, the intensity, and developing his characters. In one scene we can see what kind of character Waltz will be through the entire film. Absolutely brilliant. The opening scene and the scene in the bar, which lasts probably half an hour by itself, are enough to make this one of my favorite movies. There are a couple points at which this movie drags just a bit, and this is what keeps it from being a perfect 10 in my opinion. In my estimation Tarantino has three movies: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Basterds, that show that he is a brilliant story teller, writer, and casts his movies flawlessly. It is a shame he cannot show these capabilities every time he makes a film. Expand
  11. Nov 7, 2012
    Bastards is Tarantino's best movie since Pulp Fiction, and its an adrenaline fueled epic and an audacious war film that manages to sizzle with both familiarity and complete originality. He's taken World War II and made it his own.
  12. Feb 24, 2013
    A brilliant film that's one of Tarantino's absolute best. Some of the scenes run a bit long, but the sharp screenplay moves the plot along nicely. Solid performances. One of the best of 2009!
  13. Mar 9, 2013
    People say Tarantino's best is Pulp Fiction. I will have to say that Basterds was more pleasing on several levels. This WWII half spoof half seriousness pleases audiences everywhere making it a truly memorable film.
  14. Apr 5, 2013
    Wow, this movie is awesome. Tarantino never disappoints me by so far. The actors are very good and the story better. This is the movie I search for over a year, with this kind of action and war. Very good film.
  15. Jul 7, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewritesInglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewrites history by doing what every sane person on the planet would loved to have had the opportunity to do. Basterds is a long movie and one that doesn't always work, but when it does, it's absolutely mesmerizing. There's a lot going on in Inglorious Basterds, but Tarantino divides up the film into five chapters to give every character his or her due and every plotline time to develop. The first chapter introduces us to creepy Col. Hans Landa (nickname: The Jew Hunter). Landa enters a French farmhouse to interrogate dairy farmer Perrier LaPadite (Denis Menochet) and the scene that unfolds is a work of art, deserving of a second, and even third viewing. Landa asks for milk, seems as friendly as a kitten as he compliments the farmer on his delicious, nutritious product, and then, slowly, smoothly, the claws come out. Landa's evil incarnate, and he knows how to manipulate his prey without resorting to threatening behavior. Landa's after a family of Jewish farmers who've managed to elude him, and with an eerie calmness he weaves a story of hawks and rats, and turns the stalwart LaPadite into quivering prey. Other chapters introduce us to the remaining key players in the Inglourious Basterds universe. Lt Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt using a hilariously over-the-top accent) commands the Basterds, an elite group of Jewish soldiers whose sole purpose is to kill Nazis. But not just kill Nazis...no, the Basterds are out to butcher and scalp, exacting their special form of retribution on the Nazis for the horrors they inflected on Jewish men, women and children. While the Basterds joyously go about their Nazi killing mission, in Paris theater owner Shosanna (Melanie Laurent) goes about plotting her own revenge on the invading force. Pursued romantically by Nazi war hero Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Bruhl), Shosanna is presented with the opportunity to kill hundreds of Nazis in one fell swoop. Fredrick's exploits from earlier in the war have been immortalized in a movie directed by high-ranking official Joseph Goebbels (Sylvester Groth) and starring Fredrick as himself. Fredrick's wooing of Shosanna leads him to campaign for a change of venue for the premiere of Goebbels' film, Nation's Pride. Believing it will win over the French beauty, he requests Goebbels hold the event at Shosanna's theater, thus providing Shosanna with an unbelievable opportunity to wipe out Hitler and other major players in the Nazi party. Meanwhile, German's shining star of the silver screen, Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) is also involved in a plan to end Hitler's reign of terror. Working with the Basterds, von Hammersmark is plotting to take out Hitler at the film's premiere, which leads to the main players of Inglourious Basterds finally, at long last, coming together as the film winds toward its delicious, violent, explosive final act. Inglourious Basterds presents an alternate history, one far more pleasing than reality. Yes, it's talky, loaded with references to films past, and when things get violent, Tarantino doesn't shirk from showing the gore. But every single word in Inglourious Basterds is necessary, every scene serves a specific purpose, and every one of its 152 minutes is vital to the overall story. Tarantino is doing Tarantino here, but he's also showing a more restrained and focused style we haven't seen before from the man behind Reservoir Dogs and Grindhouse: Death Proof. Tarantino wedges in just as many film references as he's done with his prior movies, but not to the point of distraction as has occurred in some of his past work. Inglourious Basterds is a twisted World War II film filled with witty dialogue, rife with colorful characters, and sure to stir up controversy over its reshaping of history. Perfectly cast and exquisitely shot and edited, this is one WWII movie in which the outcome isn't lifted from the history books. It will, however, go down in history as one of Tarantino's most intriguing and entertaining films. Expand
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    A film carried by Christoph Waltz's brilliant performance. He mixes menacing evil with a sense of style through Tarantino's fantastic script. Tarantino continues to be one of the great directors of our time.
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    Best movie of Tarantino since Pulp Fiction Amazing film with a bunch of legendary scenes. Christoph Waltz he gives us one of the best performances of all time, no joke.
  18. Jun 25, 2013
    It's not historically accurate, but that's not what you should see this movie for. Why you need to see this is because of many things: Fantastic acting. Wonderful dialogue. Great story and plot. To top it all of, the movie is the type that can be watched over and over again. The best Tarantino movie for sure and in my top 10.
  19. Feb 11, 2014
    Absolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of BradAbsolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of Brad Pitt's predominantly INCREDIBLE (as always, mr. Pitt) performance, or maybe it was all that and more that made me really like this movie throughout (almost) every minute with a whopping playtime of two hours and about twenty five minutes. Expand
  20. Sep 4, 2013
    Really nice story, if you've seen game of thrones or fantasy, and have a passion for knowledge of WWII, this is one of the best films for you too watch. Loads of people are saying the plot is too slow moving, but I disagree, as it allows you to take in exactly what is happening and links all the stories together.
    By far one of my favorite films 10/10 would watch again
  21. Feb 21, 2014
    I love it. I love everything about it; the comedy is great, the acting is done very well, and the story s great. This movie has one or two flaws but overall 9/10
  22. Jan 14, 2014
    When I heard I was going to watch this movie in cinema, I began to sulk but when Brad Pitt's character was introduced, I nearly spilled my Gatorade due to that thick humorous American accent. The movie lost it's way somewhere in the middle but the ending was...Bravo! One of my favorite movies!
  23. Oct 21, 2014
    In the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts ofIn the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts of retribution. Later known to their enemy as "the basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget von Hammersmark on a mission to take down the leaders of the Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquis, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own. Expand
  24. Oct 26, 2014
    What a whopper of a war film. Great job QT! I definitely need to see this one again. Diane Kruger is fabulous as are all the rest the cast. You will find yourself swept up by the acting and the scenery. You can't help but cheer for Shoshanna.
  25. Nov 22, 2014
    QUENTIN **** TARANTINO KNOCKS IT OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FENWAY PARK ON IT'S FEET FOR QUENTIN **** MOVIE!!!!!!!! He went yardo on that one, out to **** Hollywood.
  26. Nov 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Written and directed masterfully by Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds was a thrill ride all the way through with Christoph Waltz's brilliant Oscar winning role as Hans Landa and Brad Pitt's role as the Nazi scalping LT. Aldo Raine had me laughing all the way through. Inglourious Basterds tells the the tale of a bunch of Americans in Nazi occupied France near the end of War World 2. You can tell that this is Tarantino's take on how Hitler should have died and should have been killed, with the awesome scene near the end(Spoilers), where the Americans burn the theater with all the Nazi's in there and you see two American soldiers gun down Hitler and his accomplice. Tarantino is one of the best screenwriters/directors working today with such hits under his belt like, Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, and Reservir Dogs and with only one bad movie under his belt which is Death Proof. But after all that I'm going to give Inglourious Bastereds an A+. Check it out guys its worth a watch. Expand
  27. Dec 1, 2014
    I am not a Tarantino fan with the exception of Reservoir Dogs (which I cannot fully explain), but this film is something else! Seriously, Christoph Waltz is unreal and the dialogue is worth every moment, even the base conversation in the farmhouse in the opening sequence.

I can also identify and understand it is not for everyone; however, it is undeniably unique, captivating, entertaining, twitch inducing, and during a few moments, difficult to watch, yet I only enjoy the more I see it.

Correction: This film was directed by Taratino while Eli Roth was uncredited.
  28. Apr 25, 2015
    With Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino has made his best movie since Pulp Fiction. He has also made what could arguably be considered the most audacious World War II movie of all-time. If you think there are rules for this sort of motion picture, guess again. And it's not just that Tarantino is using the spaghetti western as his template; it's that the sheer unpredictability of whereWith Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino has made his best movie since Pulp Fiction. He has also made what could arguably be considered the most audacious World War II movie of all-time. If you think there are rules for this sort of motion picture, guess again. And it's not just that Tarantino is using the spaghetti western as his template; it's that the sheer unpredictability of where all this is going makes it compelling from beginning to end. Even the film's occasional artistic flourishes (such as chapter titles and out-of-period music pieces) work within the context of what Tarantino is trying to accomplish. This is clearly an attempt by the director to expand his range and step outside of the comfort zone in which he has worked for the majority of his career.

Tarantino brings to Inglourious Basterds his not inconsiderable knowledge of films. The movie is awash in references - some subtle, some obvious - that run the gamut from D-grade exploitation flicks to A-list classics. This is not, as has been reported in some places, a remake of the 1978 feature The Inglorious Bastards, although the title is an homage. Reportedly, some of Tarantino's nascent versions of the screenplay used elements of the earlier film, but those are mostly gone in the final edition. This is pretty much 100% Tarantino, which could be good or bad, depending on your opinion of the man's work.

Tarantino loves dialogue and, between taut, brutal action sequences, there's a lot of talking. The conversations aren't as elliptical as some of those in the director's previous efforts, but there are some intriguing moments - a Nazi providing a detailed comparison between Jew-hunting and rat-hunting, a 20 questions-like guessing game with the answer of "King Kong," and a reverse Cinderella encounter in which having a foot to fit the shoe is not a good thing. (Tarantino gets his trademark foot fetish shot in this scene.) There is a point to the talk, however, that goes beyond the filmmaker showing off his skill with words. All these scenes precede instances of sudden, violent action and the threat of bloodshed is heavy in the air. With every sentence, the tension mounts. Tarantino uses these sequences to prime the audience, teasing them until the suspense is nearly unbearable, then releasing it in one explosive burst.

Watching Inglourious Basterds, I was reminded of Paul Verhoeven's Black Book and Bryan Singer's Valkyrie, both of which contain themes and ideas that are echoed here. This is no Schindler's List. It's not about nobility or sacrifice. It's about the dirty, bloody side of war. Yes, there's heroism, but a lot is hidden away in order for those who receive medals to retain a patina of valor. Inglourious Basterds is suffused with dark humor - so much so that it's tempting to label it an action/comedy. There are laugh-out-loud moments, and not one guffaw is the result of something unintentional. This is nothing new for Tarantino, who has always interwoven humor with violence, but its incorporation here, amidst some of his bleakest material, is refreshingly unsettling.

Inglourious Basterds isn't as fresh and freewheeling as Pulp Fiction, but Tarantino is now an established director and a known quantity. That he is able to successfully pull off some of what he does in this movie is a testimony to his skill at both writing and directing. Yes - he borrows heavily and shamelessly from other movies, but it's in the unique fusion of those sources and styles that he achieves his success. Despite having so many antecedents, Inglourious Basterds quickly carves out its own niche. The running length is a gaudy 153 minutes, yet the film moves so smoothly and the moving parts come together so cleanly that the time passes easily. This is the movie I have been awaiting since Pulp Fiction. It's one hell of an enjoyable ride into the nightmare that was Nazi-occupied France, and thinking you know how it all ends doesn't make it so.

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?