7.7

1. Nov 22, 2014
    QUENTIN **** TARANTINO KNOCKS IT OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FENWAY PARK ON IT'S FEET FOR QUENTIN **** MOVIE!!!!!!!! He went yardo on that one, out to **** Hollywood.
  2. Oct 26, 2014
    What a whopper of a war film. Great job QT! I definitely need to see this one again. Diane Kruger is fabulous as are all the rest the cast. You will find yourself swept up by the acting and the scenery. You can't help but cheer for Shoshanna.
  3. Oct 21, 2014
    In the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts of retribution. Later known to their enemy as "the basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget von Hammersmark on a mission to take down the leaders of the Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquis, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own. Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2014
    Bold and fearless throughout. Tarantino has created a film without boundaries--allowing us to immerse ourselves into his unconvential, freakish and often extraordinary adventure. Christoph Waltz gives the finest performance of the year in the best film of the year!
  5. Aug 25, 2014
    The movie starts with a very slow scene, which makes one wonder what exactly they are going to see for the duration of the film. The plot is divided to several smaller stories, it seems, but they all come together in the end.

The Basterds themselves, in my opinion, didn't have nearly enough screen time to become the focus of the movie. None of them was a truly memorable personality, and
    like most of the characters of the movie, they remained rather hollow to the end. Bratty and violent, but hollow.

The only story and character that remained clear and true from start to finish was Mélanie Laurent's Shosanne Dreyfus. Her story was touching, and her motivation was very human, clear and powerful.

There were some funny moments, but those occurred too seldom, and the plot itself seemed to be very dialogue-driven; a lot of talk with little action. Sure, there was action, but the very first scenes gave a good indication how the future "chapters" would be structured, pretty much.

All in all I'm not sure how much I liked this movie. There was a plot, but it was too drawn out in many ways. While dividing the story into chapters worked, making sure the main plot didn't bounce all over in place and time, it also split the events a bit too far from each other, carried by too many characters.

Or maybe it's just Tarantino's style that I dislike, I don't know. I don't think I've ever seen a movie of his that I would have wholeheartedly enjoyed.
  6. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Inglourious Basterds wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't as good as Pulp Fiction or Django Unchained (the other Tarantino movies I've seen), but there was very good acting.
  7. Jun 15, 2014
    The film reveals many things, but ultimately it's egdy'ness stems as an over compensation, embarrassingly grounding the films absurd cartoonish plot. It really was an idea better left in Tarintino's personal to-do list and would never have been sanctioned at any other point in his career, ultimately lacking the cache and raw power of his other work. 3 for effort but essentially this film is a cover up of
    its early theoretical conception, I almost wish this was the film he "never got to make"
  8. May 24, 2014
    This film is horribly inaccurate in terms of history, but screw it, it is fun as all get out. Like all Tarantino fare, we get our stylized violence, our pitch black comedy, and of course our closeup of an actress' foot (Diane Kruger here). Also, we get a great film. A close second place for me behind Pulp Fiction in terms of Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds features great cinematography and great acting, namely from Christoph Waltz, who absolutely killed it. Brad Pitt was also great and quite hilarious, to boot. From the onset of the film, Waltz' performance takes center stage as we watch him do what he does best: hunt Jews. We then see the same from his counterpart, Pitt, who is great at killing Nazis. These first two parts of the film really setup the film incredibly well for the final act, where spoilers. In addition to Waltz and Pitt, the whole cast did exceptionally well, in partucular Melanie Laurent and Diane Kruger. Michael Fassbender, Daniel Bruhl, and shockingly, Mike Myers, all have good turns as well. Throughout the film, there are many different genres being used terrifically. Of note, the comedic elements were great, in particular the scene in which Pitt attempts to speak Italian. These moments of comedy help to lighten the mood against the hyper violence that takes place (though never too dusturbing, typically the stuff depicted would bother me more, but Tarantino is so stylish, he gets away with it). However, the film also includes many thrilling/suspenseful scenes where your heart is in your throat as you await what happens, while coupling that with elements of war, drama, adventure, action genres, all of which used very artfully and really help to add to the general entertainment of the film.

On the negative side, the final part is a tad over the top. It came off as extremely odd and slightly off putting. However, the impact on the viewer is certainly still great and any over the topness is not a major complaint, rather something small that bugged me a little bit. Overall, Inglourious Basterds is one of Tarantino's best films and ultimately worthy of the praise it has received since its release.
  9. May 11, 2014
    Frankly, I'm surprised with the level of appreciation this film is receiving. It's an absolute mess of a movie. The acting is great but the plot is just nonsense. By far, Tarantino's worst film.
  10. Feb 21, 2014
    I love it. I love everything about it; the comedy is great, the acting is done very well, and the story s great. This movie has one or two flaws but overall 9/10
  11. Feb 11, 2014
    Absolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of Brad Pitt's predominantly INCREDIBLE (as always, mr. Pitt) performance, or maybe it was all that and more that made me really like this movie throughout (almost) every minute with a whopping playtime of two hours and about twenty five minutes. Expand
  12. Jan 14, 2014
    When I heard I was going to watch this movie in cinema, I began to sulk but when Brad Pitt's character was introduced, I nearly spilled my Gatorade due to that thick humorous American accent. The movie lost it's way somewhere in the middle but the ending was...Bravo! One of my favorite movies!
  13. Jan 3, 2014
    Inglorious Basterds is very good filmmaking on Tarantino's part, but some scenes tend to drag on, and the movie feels a bit scattered at times. Other than that, Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz were very enjoyable.
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    Besides of not being as genial as pulp fiction this movie of tarantino is another great reward on the career of this brilliant director,it have some mistakes but is good after all.
  15. Nov 3, 2013
    With great performances from Michael Fassbender and Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds is a fine combination of action and comedy in the backdrop of WWII Europe.
  16. Sep 13, 2013
    Had an incredibly strong start, however lost a bit of enjoyment during the middle, and got exciting again at the end. Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz provide masterful performances. The writing is excellent as a Tarantino film should be. Stands out as an incredibly bold, ambitious, and enjoyable film even if the middle is incredibly boring in contrast to the beginning.
  17. Sep 4, 2013
    Really nice story, if you've seen game of thrones or fantasy, and have a passion for knowledge of WWII, this is one of the best films for you too watch. Loads of people are saying the plot is too slow moving, but I disagree, as it allows you to take in exactly what is happening and links all the stories together.
    By far one of my favorite films 10/10 would watch again
  18. Jul 7, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewrites history by doing what every sane person on the planet would loved to have had the opportunity to do. Basterds is a long movie and one that doesn't always work, but when it does, it's absolutely mesmerizing. There's a lot going on in Inglorious Basterds, but Tarantino divides up the film into five chapters to give every character his or her due and every plotline time to develop. The first chapter introduces us to creepy Col. Hans Landa (nickname: The Jew Hunter). Landa enters a French farmhouse to interrogate dairy farmer Perrier LaPadite (Denis Menochet) and the scene that unfolds is a work of art, deserving of a second, and even third viewing. Landa asks for milk, seems as friendly as a kitten as he compliments the farmer on his delicious, nutritious product, and then, slowly, smoothly, the claws come out. Landa's evil incarnate, and he knows how to manipulate his prey without resorting to threatening behavior. Landa's after a family of Jewish farmers who've managed to elude him, and with an eerie calmness he weaves a story of hawks and rats, and turns the stalwart LaPadite into quivering prey. Other chapters introduce us to the remaining key players in the Inglourious Basterds universe. Lt Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt using a hilariously over-the-top accent) commands the Basterds, an elite group of Jewish soldiers whose sole purpose is to kill Nazis. But not just kill Nazis...no, the Basterds are out to butcher and scalp, exacting their special form of retribution on the Nazis for the horrors they inflected on Jewish men, women and children. While the Basterds joyously go about their Nazi killing mission, in Paris theater owner Shosanna (Melanie Laurent) goes about plotting her own revenge on the invading force. Pursued romantically by Nazi war hero Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Bruhl), Shosanna is presented with the opportunity to kill hundreds of Nazis in one fell swoop. Fredrick's exploits from earlier in the war have been immortalized in a movie directed by high-ranking official Joseph Goebbels (Sylvester Groth) and starring Fredrick as himself. Fredrick's wooing of Shosanna leads him to campaign for a change of venue for the premiere of Goebbels' film, Nation's Pride. Believing it will win over the French beauty, he requests Goebbels hold the event at Shosanna's theater, thus providing Shosanna with an unbelievable opportunity to wipe out Hitler and other major players in the Nazi party. Meanwhile, German's shining star of the silver screen, Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) is also involved in a plan to end Hitler's reign of terror. Working with the Basterds, von Hammersmark is plotting to take out Hitler at the film's premiere, which leads to the main players of Inglourious Basterds finally, at long last, coming together as the film winds toward its delicious, violent, explosive final act. Inglourious Basterds presents an alternate history, one far more pleasing than reality. Yes, it's talky, loaded with references to films past, and when things get violent, Tarantino doesn't shirk from showing the gore. But every single word in Inglourious Basterds is necessary, every scene serves a specific purpose, and every one of its 152 minutes is vital to the overall story. Tarantino is doing Tarantino here, but he's also showing a more restrained and focused style we haven't seen before from the man behind Reservoir Dogs and Grindhouse: Death Proof. Tarantino wedges in just as many film references as he's done with his prior movies, but not to the point of distraction as has occurred in some of his past work. Inglourious Basterds is a twisted World War II film filled with witty dialogue, rife with colorful characters, and sure to stir up controversy over its reshaping of history. Perfectly cast and exquisitely shot and edited, this is one WWII movie in which the outcome isn't lifted from the history books. It will, however, go down in history as one of Tarantino's most intriguing and entertaining films. Expand
  19. Jun 25, 2013
    It's not historically accurate, but that's not what you should see this movie for. Why you need to see this is because of many things: Fantastic acting. Wonderful dialogue. Great story and plot. To top it all of, the movie is the type that can be watched over and over again. The best Tarantino movie for sure and in my top 10.
  20. Jun 18, 2013
    A film carried by Christoph Waltz's brilliant performance. He mixes menacing evil with a sense of style through Tarantino's fantastic script. Tarantino continues to be one of the great directors of our time.
  21. May 24, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino is an excellent director of crime thrillers, so it was interesting to find out that he had written a WW2 movie. The result is a satirical epic with some great acting (particularly from Christoph Waltz) and violent set pieces. In comparison to most Tarantino films this is mediocre, but its still an enjoyable (though not necessarily true) film but the long running time could have been condensed. Otherwise, another Tarantino masterpiece. Expand
  22. May 19, 2013
    The movie is pretty good. It's pretty much 3 big scenes that play out. Brad Pitt is the biggest downer of the movie as his bad southern accent just feels so corny. Though the highlight of this film and has to be the best discovery is Christoph Waltz Who is just Amazing as the Nazi jew hunter. His performance is just captivating and what great acting is made of. I also thought Michael Fassbender did a good job as well in this. Its a good movie to see if you want to see some fine acting a interesting story as long as you can get past Brad Pitt. Expand
  23. Apr 25, 2013
    Best movie of Tarantino since Pulp Fiction Amazing film with a bunch of legendary scenes. Christoph Waltz he gives us one of the best performances of all time, no joke.
  24. Apr 5, 2013
    Wow, this movie is awesome. Tarantino never disappoints me by so far. The actors are very good and the story better. This is the movie I search for over a year, with this kind of action and war. Very good film.
  25. Mar 31, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino is one of those people you either love or hate. It's his unique stories and methodical attention to detail that have always stood out to me. For all you haters out there, the one thing you can't deny is Tarantino's unique ability to bring out the best in everyone he works with, and that is why many times, the cast members of his films earn Oscar nominations. Inglourious Basterds is another uniquely strange story that just works, because of Tarantino. As has become his signature, the story is broken up into seemingly unrelated stories that all come together in a terrific ending. The story centers around a group of Jewish-American soldiers in World War II, whose assignment was to go into France, undercover, and track down and slaughter Nazis. It's a terrific cast led by Brad Pitt, but to me he wasn't so much the star of this film, that honor belongs to Christopher Waltz, who in his first major role, did win the Oscar for best supporting actor. It's a strong story and a great film, but something bothered me about it. Inglourious Basterds is of course a fictional story, so the attention to detail, such as having everyone speaking in their native languages, seemed someone unnecessary to me. That combined with subtitles that moved at the speed of light, made the story somewhat hard for me to follow. That's why I watched it a few times before reviewing it. There is no denying that this is one hell of a story with another tremendous cast, that deserved every award that it's won, however Tarantino's attention to detail, usually a strength, did take away from the film, as a whole, and did make some parts difficult to follow. Expand
  26. Mar 22, 2013
    Another revenge bore-a-thon from Tarantino, possibly the world's most overrated director. Not even a decent soundtrack for this one either. Well shot, average casting, poor soundtrack, terrible wandering cliched plot with stupid '70s' moments. Don't waste 2.5 hours of your life watching this garbage. His last good film was Pulp Fiction, everything since has been abysmal.
  27. Mar 13, 2013
    Inglorious Basterds is a film for those who love great cinema. But when the story drags and violence becomes a bit old it is hard to keep from becoming bored. Until Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) delivers a superb performance and jolts you right back into the story of a movie owner, group of Jewish solders, and one plan to kill the whole third reich.
  28. Mar 9, 2013
    People say Tarantino's best is Pulp Fiction. I will have to say that Basterds was more pleasing on several levels. This WWII half spoof half seriousness pleases audiences everywhere making it a truly memorable film.
  29. Feb 27, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino has created a monster, as the marketing suggests, Brad Pitt is a Basterd, Eli Roth is a Basterd and so on, this is a film that aims so high and mighty, and hits all the marks without fail, a true masterpiece from Tarantino as he continues to exceed himself.
    Set during the first year of the German occupation of France, the film tells a variety of stories, one being the
    tale of runaway Jew Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) who escapes from the Lt. Hans Landa played by the brilliant Christophe Waltz, who is a chilling but calm character in his delivery, but it is ultimately the pacing and the shear unorthodox film-making skills of Tarantino that truly set this film off on a frantic run that just doesn't stop.
    Brad Pitt puts a typically stellar performance as Lt. Aldo Raine, the leader of the Basterds, who tasks his men with killing and scalping Nazi soldiers, Shosanna, meanwhile, has now changed her name and owns a cinema in Paris, and the opportunity arises for her to exact revenge on the Nazis thanks to her owning said cinema.
    This is quite an ensemble cast including Diane Kruger, Eli Roth, B.J. Novak, the multi-talented Michael Fassbender and even Mike Myers. Also look out for voiceovers by Samuel L. Jackson and Harvey Kietel The truly remarkable feat achieved by this film is that no one actor or actress entirely populates the movie, the film consistently cuts to different situations in an effort to tell a story for each character, and to truly introduce each persona as having an important role to play in the film.
    The Tarantino style is told from the get-go, as just like Kill Bill, the film is told in chapters, with small snippets of his work throughout, the gore, the bizarre dialogue, but most of all, the engaging and tense long scenes which really set the tone of a thrilling film, with the viewer not being quite sure just what is going to happen next in many of the scenes, a particular one being that involving a small French tavern where Fassbenders character is meeting a double agent, this is simply the highlight of the film, it has drama, different cuts and nail-biting dialogue to suggest throughout it that something just isn't right.
    The cinematography is simply excellent and thought-provokingly unique, offering various incarnations of an environment that just add to the gleaming picture.
    It has all the makings to be a classic, with particularly mind-blowing performances, especially from Christophe Waltz, who is just an absolute treat to admire in his capabilities throughout the entire film.
    To quote Lt. Aldo Raine, which Tarantino should now use for himself..."This just might be my masterpiece"
  30. Feb 24, 2013
    A brilliant film that's one of Tarantino's absolute best. Some of the scenes run a bit long, but the sharp screenplay moves the plot along nicely. Solid performances. One of the best of 2009!
  31. Jan 19, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is my favorite Tarantino movie. It's funny, brutal, unpredictable, inappropriate, beautifully shot and has an amazing soundtrack. There are so many memorable moments in this film! Inglourious Basterds is a wholly satisfying experience that I couldn't ask more of.
  32. Jan 4, 2013
    Brilliant film. Probably not a "must-see" but certainly worth your money. The combination of humor and more serious elements in the film is great, I loved it. Certain parts, particularly towards the end are a little crazy, but they won't take away from how good this film is
  33. Dec 29, 2012
    I will begin this review by stating that this my favorite Tarantino film to date. The movie has received flak by critics for portrayal of the Jewish American men being and reflecting the brutality of the Nazis against the German opposition. While I feel this is unfair and those who feel this way are missing the point of this movie entirely. The movie is a fantasy WWII movie about what people wanted to happen in the War. It is safe to say that Nazis are some the most hated group of people in the history of our planet. With hatred comes the ability for people to dehumanize the Nazi. People tend to not care how they are treated and even forget that not every, and even most Germans, were not Nazis. The Jewish-American treatment of the Germans was brutal and graphic because Tarantino wanted people to realize that they were Nazis and at the same time were still people.
    The movie itself is beautifully directed with emotional dialog and no shortage of action. Those who are upset at the overly gory action and violence have apparently not watched Quentin Tarantino films before. If you dislike or despise this, then don't watch Quentin Tarantino. The two storylines in the movie were both artfully crafted with as much character development as possible when you try to split time evenly between two separate and equally as important parts. Golden movie, loved every moment. Highly recommended unless you don't like reading subtitles; there are a lot of subtitles.
  34. Dec 20, 2012
    It is extremely violent, grostesque, and offensive. However, beyond that, it is an achievement in cinema. It's not the only offensive thing out there. (Bruno..?) That is a different story. I can understand why people hate this movie. It's not enertaining in the slightest. It is not supposed to be. It is supposed to be a story. A story set up so that we feel all the repulsiveness. Some people can't get it. It's a dark movie. And I still love it for what it is. Great job! Great movie, but it's not for the squeamish. Expand
  35. Nov 28, 2012
    An uncommonly brutal, yet relentlessly gripping ride. Tarantino doesn't disappoint.
  36. Nov 16, 2012
    For me this is by far Tarantino's second best movie. The first scene in this movie is one of the best and most intense that I have seen in any movie...ever. The way that Tarantino can put together such a lengthy scene like this, packing a punch with the dialogue, the intensity, and developing his characters. In one scene we can see what kind of character Waltz will be through the entire film. Absolutely brilliant. The opening scene and the scene in the bar, which lasts probably half an hour by itself, are enough to make this one of my favorite movies. There are a couple points at which this movie drags just a bit, and this is what keeps it from being a perfect 10 in my opinion. In my estimation Tarantino has three movies: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Basterds, that show that he is a brilliant story teller, writer, and casts his movies flawlessly. It is a shame he cannot show these capabilities every time he makes a film. Expand
  37. Nov 7, 2012
    Bastards is Tarantino's best movie since Pulp Fiction, and its an adrenaline fueled epic and an audacious war film that manages to sizzle with both familiarity and complete originality. He's taken World War II and made it his own.
  38. Sep 18, 2012
    Inglourious Basterds is an exciting film and that is not a surprise because is a Tarantino creation, so we can notice all the things that are repeated in his filmography. First we have the desire for revenge, represented by Shosanna; here we notice the famous persistent and meticulous job of Beatrix Kiddo, and the sarcastic and dedicated work of Jules Winnfield with Vincent Vega; the shocking thing is that it all occurs at one time in one place, rather than the search that we saw on Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction.
    Second, is visible the minimalism characteristic of Tarantino, because he shows too much with little things and express a few with big things. For example: in the dialogue between Coronel Landa and Mr. LaPadite about the rats, what we actually see is a way of changing a whole ideology about what people think of Nazis and Jews; in contrast, when all the important Nazis are gadder in the cinema, and Shosanna with Marcel execute their plan, we see an enormous disaster, but is nothing more than vengeance.
    Finally, the classic fragmented reality is very well developed. Tarantino put us on his labyrinth and force us to solve his puzzle. The only failure of this film is that all the fragments (chapters) are order by time, nothing is timeless, and the development is one direction; in the other Tarantino pictures we move forward, then travel to the past and then finish in the present, preparing to jump to another time again; and that could enrich a lot Inglourious Basterds.
    The direction, music and script are just perfect and Christoph Waltz is astonishing.
  39. Aug 25, 2012
    Cristoph Waltz is beyond outstanding in this film, one of the best performances that I have ever seen in a war film even though it is a very light-hearted war film. Inglorious Basterds really shines through as a film which lives up to stereotypes yet still works almost because of them rather than in spite of them. I wasn't sure about certain parts of the film and whether they really fit into the rest of the picture but I almost always enjoyed scenes with Waltz or Pitt. Expand
  40. Aug 14, 2012
    If lengthy conversations at tables are not your thing, then Inglourious Basterds probably won't be up your alley. It definitely has that Tarantino style to it, so don't go into it expecting a lot of shootouts or explosions, although the film does have some of those. It is a very talky movie, so talky that it can become cringe inducing. However, I think it's a fine movie. While the talking scenes didn't really thrill movie, there are some good performances to be found here. Brad Pitt is good here but it's Christoph Waltz who really shines here. There are also a few surprising moments that some may not see coming, with a bit of tension that helps build up to those surprises. I may have to give the movie another viewing to see if I like it better, but for now, my opinion is that it's a well made and decent movie, but it's certainly not one of Tarantino's best. Expand
  41. Jul 9, 2012
    I gave the movie a ten because for one thing, Christoph Waltz had the best performance, along with Heath Ledger as the Joker, ive ever seen in a movie, he basically stole all of the scenes he was in. Quentin Tarintino does a good job of making a story that u might think is humoures but makes it into a masterpiece
  42. Jun 8, 2012
    There is nothing in this movie that makes for a good movie save for an interesting opening sequence. The premise is terrible and ignores the historical context of WWII. An all Jewish unit sent to infiltrate Germany. Nevermind that it's glossed over how they get into the country. Let's ignore the fact that none of the infiltration team speaks German or any other European language fluently. I'll even let it pass that the guerrilla team hangs out at the site of an ambush to torture their prisoners which is tactically absurd. What I cannot forgive is demeaning and dishonoring ourselves and our veterans by lowering ourselves to the level of Nazi's. For instance, in the ambush seen, Brad Pitt's character gives the Nazi a choice of betraying his comrades or being beaten to death. In this scene, the Nazi is the more honorable figure, selflessly going to a painful death rather than betraying fellow soldiers. Carving swastikas into the foreheads of the dead? Where is the morality or honor in that? If we have become so jaded that we cheer for the mutilation of human beings; for grizzly unjustified torture, I'm saddened for our future. It boggles the mind that we glorify this by nominating it for best picture. Not just because of vacuum of morality. It's bad writing. Taking 15 minutes to introduce multiple characters at length only to have them eliminated five minutes later is obnoxious. Especially, when no one replaces those characters. The dialogue is long winded, pedantic, and campy. The art direction seems more like it's trying to mock Saving Private Ryan than establish it's own style. I get the premise and the concept, no one likes Hitler. He was recent history's most prominent monster. But this movie cheapens the memory of those who apposed him. This should've been a straight to DVD release. Expand
  43. May 27, 2012
    A war movie only Tarantino can pull off. I knew it was special when I saw it in theaters, and with every watch my respect only grows. Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine is one of my favorite performances ever. "I think this might just be my masterpiece." Yes, Quentin Tarantino, it's one of many from you but it is, indeed, a masterpiece.
  44. May 26, 2012
    When all the story lines finally come together you realize this movie is a masterpiece. With all the cast giving breathtakingly solid performances especially Waltz and Laurent. You will be offered amazing action and wonderful cinematography to spare. I give the movie 98%.
  45. May 22, 2012
    This movie i just another propaganda to feel good and like heroes for American losers! I'm sorry to tell you but America killed many civilians (by now more then Hitler) also and where friends with Stalin a man who killed 20 million people, but that's OK he killed no Jews so who cares right, i'm just in shock, how much more dumber the US can get? They are the Modern day Nazis!
  46. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. every man can dream it, but only one man can do it: kill adolf hitler. i most certainly wasn't expecting Basterds to become an alternate history movie, and i know not to expect anything from quentin tarantino. i was sort of going into this movie for just the violence, but i found the dialogues to be the more interesting part. the action on tarantino's behalf is always more of the 'person A shoots person B' type, in a wa that it's not really that visually interesting, but i think that makes it more realistic. i only give tens to movies that i thought didn't have a single mistake, and i carefully consider giving any movie one of them. this time, i was a bit doubtful, thinking if the movie could have been any more perfect, but by heart went out for the golden medal, so here we are. Expand
  47. May 2, 2012
    A bold war movie unlike no other. The film is as funny as it is thrilling. With Inglorious Basterds Tarantino has shown once again that he can make fun thrilling stylised films while adding intricusies and good writting. Not quite Pulp Fiction but it is still very good. What a relief after the Kill Bill series to see Inglorious Basterds.
  48. Apr 3, 2012
    The movie would be really good if I started watching it half way though. The beginning(while important) is just slow and mindless. I could not focus on it, but the ending and the acting were top notch.
  49. Mar 26, 2012
    Inglourious Basterds is a classic Tarantino film with its long dialogue and strong violence but this movie was way overdone and a little boring at times. Not bad but not his best.
  50. Feb 25, 2012
    Tarantino's only dud, that I'm aware of. Obviously Waltz's performance is excellent, and some of the early scenes are staged with a love that is obviously Quentin's. But the plot? My goodness, what a filthy mess. And this movie is so tone-deaf; one minute we are wringing our hands in the hope that someone will escape, and the next minute Brad Pitt is hamming it up like a clown. Is it serious, or is it a joke? Tarantino has made a career from balancing these two things, but here he fails miserably. Expand
  51. Feb 20, 2012
    The french touch make me smile when I saw Melanie Laurent who is a great actress . It's was very disapointing to see that she wasn't nominee for the great work she did on that movie. By the way, this is funny and brilliant one. May be Tarantino's best.
  52. Feb 7, 2012
    this movie is so great, its one of my favourite movies of all time it deserved more oscars Christopher Waltz deserved that oscar but a few more to this movie would of been better
  53. Jan 29, 2012
    spellbound
    great narration
    intelligent photography
    typical tarantino film
    overall performance good
    as for hans landa aka christoph waltz is just too good man too good
  54. Jan 24, 2012
    I liked the film but I am not 100% sure that I would recommend it. I think Tarantino tries too hard to re-create the magic he had with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but he fails to do so. The cast was good but the entire idea of the film was just too stupid.
  55. Jan 17, 2012
    ''This just might be my masterpiece'' being the last line of the film. No Tarantino no. Rather than writing for the love of writing, Tarantino has gone off the rails I believe because he's trying to be good. But he doesn't have to try, he is good in his own way. This is one of the most masturbatory films I've ever seen. It's like a best man speech at a wedding; it thinks it's being clever and funny and entertaining, but in reality it's just boring you. This is coming from a big adventure war movie fan too. Only reason it gets 2 is because of Til Schweiger and Christoph Waltz's performances. And for the fact for the first 20 minutes you think you might be watching a good film. My advice is go watch Kelly's Heros. Expand
  56. Jan 16, 2012
    I liked it but it doesnt really hold up well compared to other movies by Tarantino. Took a bit too much to get into. The acting was solid. The plot was interest. A lot of over the top action. Its enjoyable but far from perfect.
  57. Jan 11, 2012
    Odd movie.The Germans, who are supposed to be the bad guys, are made to look like the good guys. It is almost impossible to feel sympathy for the basterds after they smash in the head of a POW in the most disgusting way possible. A POW, for Christ's sake. And one with honor as well, since he refuses to betray his comrades. Cinematography is great, acting is as well, with the exception of Brad Pitt. The weirdest thing is that they use a David Bowie song that has already been used in 'Cat People'. That is really the killer. Expand
  58. Jan 4, 2012
    Christoph Waltz indeed made this film the epic that it is. It however can drag just a little bit, if it was cut 20 minutes or so shorter that would be great, but despite that it was still a great film. The movie must be seen for Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Hans Landa, he was perfect in his scenes in every way. He made the movie. Also Brad Pitt had his funny moments as well, he was pretty good at his role as well. Expand
  59. Dec 30, 2011
    I think this is the goodbye of Quentin Tarantino as a writer or a director. Anyway, I think he could have done much better with the story.

This story has a few good elements but it gets totally screwed when it comes to the climax. Rewriting history, we must say it is original - but I'm not into it. In general, this isn't a good film but I must say: Christoph Waltz is BRILLIANT, by far
    the best actor in this picture, even though Brad Pitt did he great job as well, Waltz' acting is Oscar deserving in my opinion. The cinematography was amazing, especially in the scene where colonel Hans Lada lights up his pipe. Also a great choice of music. Expand
  60. Dec 24, 2011
    An action-packed, edge-of-your-seat, stunningly acted wow-fest, this movie delivers. Quentin Tarantino proves again why he's the best in the business and Christoph Waltz proves why foreign actors are better than American. Although it is certainly not the feel good movie of the year, you will find your jaw dropping multiple times as you discover how brilliant this film truly is.
  61. Dec 23, 2011
    Enduring this film is about as close to the human suffering of the concentration camps as I can possibly experience. If you somehow found this enjoyable I hope that God will have mercy on your soul...
  62. Dec 13, 2011
    I'll admit, this movie scared me. Quentin Tarantino never disappoints. At the start of the movie I was on the Basterd's side. Wait, did anyone noticed that bastards is spelled wrong? Doesn't matter, this is a movie not a book. I was a semi-fan of all the violence and the blood. The scalping of the Nazi's head did disturb me at first but after the first one I was okay. Critics always say that adding action and special effects is like a gimmick to lure in audiences. But the action and blood in this movie isn't the case. If this movie was less tamed and not as graphic it still would be an awesome movie. But what I am not a fan of is adding two different story lines. They meet up at the end but there still two seprate story lines. I also found it interesting that as the plot was building up we where introduced to the morals and values that the Basterds had. I found myself routing for the Nazis. But that's how Quentin Tarantino does his movies, with a plot that doesn't introduce a villain. My favorite part was the bar scene. It was trilling because I had no idea if someone was going to fire. Overall, this film is very well written and directed. Expand
  63. Dec 11, 2011
    Incoherent, self-indulgent mis-match of a movie. Insulting to Jews, Germans & anyone with knowledge of history or any sort of moral compass. I have no idea what this movie was trying to achieve, satisfy Tarantino's ego?
  64. Dec 1, 2011
    Another superb Tarantino film! The performances are all top-notch and yes, Waltz is as pitch-perfect as ever in his role. The dialogue in this film is so interesting and I found myself listening intently to what every character had to say, which is present in every Tarantino film. The cinematography is spectacular. At several points this movie gets crazy and then it scales back into it's lighter finesse, but all the while it remains engrossing. I did feel it got a tad bogged down here and there, but overall this is a very very fine picture! Collapse
  65. Nov 22, 2011
    I really liked it but I felt that the long run time resulted in some boring parts and it brought down the value of the film a bit. Also it relied far too much on violence instead of building on the fantastic cast that was hired for the film. Still, Its a great war film.
  66. Nov 15, 2011
    Another brilliant movie in Tarantino's style. Showing us another point of view to the 2 World War, we get on a trip inside the Inglorious Bastards crew, jew's trained to blow up the Nazi head, and in the mind of the full-of-revenge jew Shosanna Dreyfus, that wants to revenge her family, killed by the crazy SS coronel Hans Landa. With great cast (special applauses for Christoph Waltz, Daine Kruger and Melánie Laurent) and a bloody story, we get again, the best from Tarantino. Expand
  67. Nov 1, 2011
    From this movie comes no conclusion, no morale. At the end, the only thing I felt was emptiness. The plot (if it can be called so) is simply terrible or non-existent despite the great visuals and spectacular acting (except Hitler's character, which was not realistic enough, too caricatural). It's just bundle of moments (often too long) patched up together and the two separate story lines have no interactions other than the final location of the story. It also holds no historic value whatsoever. The violence and gore are not justified for it does not add up any values of interest to the movie. All in all, the movie has nothing beneath it, nothing to tell, and just comes short of interest in its lengthy 2.5 h, a great disappointment. 0/10 for the plot 9.5/10 for the acting 8/10 for the visuals and 0/10 for all else. Expand
  68. Oct 15, 2011
    Loved the film, mainly because of the characters. They are lovable and adorable (if it's not weird to say this while talking about a war movie). The director (Tarantino) did a great job.
  69. Oct 8, 2011
    The Tarantino take on World War II is far more sensible and respectful than anyone would have imagined. The genius balance between the darkest of black comedy and heart wrenching tragedy is, in a word, sublime. Even in the first twenty minutes, I found myself on the verge of tears, and then five seconds later laughing my guts out. Or my scalp off.
    The tale follows an elaborate plot to kill
    Hitler and his cohorts, recruiting a German movie star, a delightfully murderous â Expand
  70. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    You know what you're getting into when you go to a Tarantino movie. Lot's of action, sharp dialogue, and a entertaining story line. With all the remakes and comic book movies, it's nice to know someone original, like Tarantino, is writing and directing today.
  71. Sep 21, 2011
    Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" is a messy movie, a movie that needs precise trimming. The characters are unstable and undeveloped while the whole dialogue is extremely measured towards the Jews. I know Hitler killed a lot of them, but this is just too unfair to the Nazis. At least Tarantino had to show a little bit of respect to them, not just spitting at them and killing them with baseball bats. Chrisopher Waltz's performance was powerful and charismatic, but unfortunately he acted in the wrong movie. Expand
  72. Sep 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only Tarantino can take an event like WW2 and make a boring directionless movie like Inglourious basterds. He decides to recreate WW2 events to show the world his love for (hard on for) mindless violence and long pointless dialougues. The fundamental problem with this film, is that if you are going to recreate an actual historical event, the film has it has to be funny. Without Humor an audience familiar to WW2 history will find this to be boring inaccurate rubbish. The movie is formulated into several chapters covering lives of Shoshana who escapes near death at hands of Christopher Waltz and the nazis. I will not get to much into detail because i do not want to spoil the move. However the movie evolves into an unreleastic convulted plot to assasinate Adolf Hitler. The ending does provide a little suspense but this is around the 2 in a half hour mark. When the movies was over I was left wondering why did I waste 2 in half hours watching this abomination. All in All we have a Quentin Tarantino's wet dream of what happened in WW2, packed with mindless violence, boring dialogues and worse convuluted plot imaginable. This movie is neither humourous or entertaining. Avoid at all cost. Expand
  73. Aug 28, 2011
    In spite of excellent performances and carefully crafted dialogue, Tarantino can't hide the fact that Inglourious Basterds is smug and glacially paced, feeling more like Quentin Tarantino's celebration of himself as opposed to the violent, frenzied fantasies that made his early work so brilliant. That said, a good chunk of Tarantino celebrating himself is a celebration of other movies, so that does help to ease down and enjoy what's here. Expand
  74. Jul 27, 2011
    This is definitely a Tarantino film, and it certainly has its moments. Chritopher Waltz is outstanding in an over the top performance that still manages to captivate as well as amuse. However, on the whole this movie does not have the impact or depth of other notable Tarantino films. If you want nasty Nazi killers, see The Dirty Dozen. If you want Tarantino's brand of ultraviolence, see Reservoir Dogs. If you want to follow the sheeple who "love" any tripe that Tarantino cranks out, have a gander at this heap of film detritus... there are gems mixed in, but at best it is a failure of editing. I'm sure there are those who will just "love" it, too, though. As Hume said, there's no accounting for taste. Expand
  75. Jul 25, 2011
    First of, stop posting opinions that are absurd. This is for critique and reviews, not for complaining.

The overall moving was great. There were dragging scenes,(exa.: the beginning where landa was questioning Lapadite about hiding jews in his house), and the ending wasn't exactly 'picture perfect', and the scalping was...ehhh, ewww? But other then that the moving was amazing. And I don't
    see how it is fair to give a movie a '0'. A movie SHOULD NEVER receive a zero. It's not fair, and to those who DO give zeros, you're probably people who are either anti-war, like nazis, ect.(You know). Expand
  76. Jul 18, 2011
    The Best movie of 2009! And the best film by Quentin Tarantino. It's fantastic, a film for the cinema! In my opinion Inglourious Basterds has a perfect cast, ana script almost perfect, the best cinematography ever, and a brillant work of editing and sound effects. Tarantino grewn up with this movie, that probably is going to be a cult, in some years. Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa is fantastic, and the Brad Pitt's Aldo Raine is hilarious! You must watch it! Expand
  77. Jun 3, 2011
    Actually, Aldo Rayne is Quentin Tarantino for himself, saying "I think this just may be my masterpiece", being hilariously selfish and changing all the natural curse of History and WWII, in this very smart and covered of references cinematographic vengeance against the Nazism. With a big support of Christoph Waltz, maybe Tarantino was really right about the masterpiece thing.
  78. May 31, 2011
    This is overall great filmmaking in the tradition of the great Italo-Western genre. It reminds of movies by Sergio Leone with the music of Ennio Morricone. "Inglourious Basterds" is a bit long - at 2.5 hours not unlike its role models - but there are some truly amazing acting performances (deriving from an awesome script) that are worth sitting through in this epic. A recurring aspect of the movie is about how far you would go to either save your life or die for your values. The scenes dealing with decisions like these are not judge-able morally, for both options are morally bad (being partly responsible for someone's murder or being killed yourself). The question only is, what the lesser evil is for yourself. What is problematic about watching this movie (more often) is that it does desensitize one to genuine depictions of murder and cruelty.  Expand
  79. Apr 25, 2011
    well it took me a while to finally watch this because i had my doubts and i was right, the movie is weak and seems to just nazi bash. there are pointless scenes that drag on that hold little use to the story. allot of the story is not even realistic to the story, for example all the leaders in one place with such little security, the jew hunter converting when he could be a hero, disregard for solders personal feeling vs doing their duty. quirks and acting was good but what can i say the movie was all over the place. Expand
  80. POV
    Apr 3, 2011
    A dream alternative scenario to the terrors of WWII. The signature Tarantino witty dialogue you've been salivating for since Death Proof? Check. The sharp, enjoyable and cunning characters spreading over the whole spectrum of human psychology? Check.
    I enjoyed the music, the historical allusions, the Master Christoph Waltz, the plot. Maybe not all of the 2 and a half hours, but definitely
    the most part. YES!! Expand
  81. Mar 22, 2011
    While I felt the movie was too awkward in some scenes, I still enjoyed it a lot. Great hilarious take on World War II, and Christoph Waltz made a fantastic debut for Western audiences in this movie.
  82. Mar 6, 2011
    Another thrilling Tarantino style film with over the top violence, quotable and conversational dialog and non-linear narrative, it does fall short from amazing. The character introductions felt rushed and unimportant and furthermore, most of the characters introduced have little to no development, feeling like extras but one thing that saves this from becoming a bore to watch is Christoph Waltz as Lans Handa. By God this is one of the best written characters in Tarantino's violent catalog next to Julius Winnfield in Pulp Fiction and the most threatening villains I've seen thanks to Christoph's brilliant acting. Is it a good movie? Yes. Many things you love about Tarantino are here but also many things that you expects from Tarantino are not. Expand
  83. Jan 11, 2011
    It is very surprising to me, Quentin Tarantino (QT) picks warfare genre for his next project, although according to many sources, thiz script already bury very long time on Tarantino desk. QT is authentically inspirational and eccentric Director in the same time. His previous best works were: PULP FICTION (1994) and KILL BILL (2007). Seem to me, he always finds something new to put on every film of his. The story is about a group of soldiers led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt), who known as The Basterds. They had mission to terminate every Nazi with their fiercely-sadistic way. It is also about a jewish girl (Melanie Laurent), unfortunately was the only survivor when Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) killed her entire family. Afterwards, she ran a cinema that incidentally rented by Nazi for their important occasion. She has a revenge-plan to demolish whole cinema with all Gestapo and Nazi superior inside. Simply, QT never focuses on one-man-show. With his unique directing, QT takes us to his world where anything could be different. From first chapter, we already serve by thoughtful and memorable dialogue. I think the power of QT movie is on the dialogue, unpredicted plots, sometimes comical, and fills with memorable characters in each of his movie. If you free-minded enough then you can enjoy QT movies. Like Col. Hans Landa said (when he was on the farmer house on early scene), I ask your permission to switch to English for the remainder of the conversation.. Well, lets enjoy QT language.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  84. Dec 4, 2010
    I'm didn't care for this movie much. I really wanted to love it, Tarantino puts on a good show. Watching the first scene with Christoph Waltz in the Frenchman's farmhouse, I thought wow this is going to be good, but it just got progressively worse. There are some other gem scenes though. The last bit just seemed like he ran out of ideas and time. Overall it is worth seeing, but it could have been so much better. I was left disappointed. I was really surprised it was nominated for best picture, because I think there were better films. Expand
  85. Nov 3, 2010
    Terrible movie!! Brad Pit can't act!! His southern accent is so bad I wanted to have all my teeth pulled while watching this to get some relief! Tarantino is the sadistic, violent, perverted psycho he always is and the people love it I guess. What do you expect from the most violent country in the world. Movie is like a high school play, script is terrible also.
  86. Oct 17, 2010
    Brad Pitt doing that accent trying to speak Italian is one of the best scenes I've scene in a long time. Tarantino does a great job as usual, and gives another movie that's worth watching over and over. I'm glad Hitler died this time around as well.
  87. Oct 4, 2010
    Exceptionally gory, even for a Quentin Tarantino film, it is not for the faint hearted. 'Inglourious Basterds' is a feast of humour, suspense, and blood, and is thoroughly entertaining. The acting, especially from Christoph Waltz and Diane Kruger, is superb. The witty, clever dialogue, a trademark of Tarantino films, makes up a wonderful screenplay. You are almost kept on the edge of your seat throughout this film because it is so unpredictable, featuring numerous plot twists and unexpected outcomes. I must admit, I was expecting a little bit more than what I got because there is no denying, it is quite slow, but I was nonetheless impressed by the film overall. Expand
  88. Sep 23, 2010
    Tarantino uses a really great and superb revenge trilogy from World War II, and his violent but entertaining stylistic writing makes this movie fantastic.
  89. Sep 10, 2010
    Fantastic Christoph Waltz ! Brilliant Tarantino! Standing Ovation for Christoph Waltz A.K.A."Hans Landa" in this movie. Best Actor for the "Oscar" in my opinion.
  90. Sep 2, 2010
    Nazi officer assigned to France to kill Jews, group of Jewish American soldiers hunt Nazis, paths cross, Nazi war hero has film made about him, wants premiere in small French town, twists, turns & turmoil.
    An amazing cast executing their roles spectacularly & some very good dialogue (in four languages!) which you'd expect from Tarantino.
    Despite all this it just felt a bit lacking despite
    one or two very good scenes (The scene in the bar with German officers the standout).
    Also, Christoph Walz reminded me of a Nazi Rob Brydon which took off his edge a little bit.
  91. Aug 27, 2010
    Quentin Tarantino has once again taken the reins of pop-art cinema and delivers a delicious slice of mayhem a la Nazi-occupied France, Spaghetti Western style (though some viewers may be disappointed if they were looking for a nonstop action fest - it's a talking movie in which the most prevalent languages are French and German). Christopher Waltz is stunning in his role as the "Jew Hunter" and Brad Pitt is pure entertainment for the small amount of time he is on screen. It's all well done, but I hesitate to rate it any higher because it all felt so familiar coming from Tarantino... Expand
  92. Aug 20, 2010
    brilliant. very funny and great acting. one of the best films to have been made in the last decade. i strongly recommend all readers to see this movie.
  93. Aug 16, 2010
    Delirious fun from ringmaster Tarantino. Unlike any World War II film ever made. Beautiful cinematography to go along with wicked dialogue and some great performances by Waltz and Kruger. The ending has a goofy twist and adds to the continuous fun, though I will say the film is very violent, maybe his most since "Kill Bill".
  94. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a terribly big fan of Tarantino, until now maybe. Seamless acting and considering the language barrier, highly interesting dialogue fill the film throughout. As long as your attention span allows you to read for a few minutes straight your interest should last until the visually striking action scenes. If you find yourself perhaps put off by the subtitles or the occasionally zany Colonel Landa, please watch the climactic finish with a fresh mind. It should stun anyone who will allow it to. I ended up staring blankly with my mouth agape even as the credits began rolling. That might be because I thought the movie would be, in general, historically accurate going in, but afterwards I was extremely glad that it wasn't. I was equally disappointed that this wasn't how World War II actually ended, because Hitler's face being riddled with bullets is a much more fitting way to end such a life. Speaking of fitting ends, the final line reads, "This just might be my masterpiece." Well Tarantino, I think you might just be right. Expand
  95. Aug 13, 2010
    One of the biggest surprises of the year, 'Inglourious Basterds' is definitely a great film, and one of Tarantino's best.
    With one of the best best acting ensembles of recent memory and a (traditionally Tarantino) excellent and interesting story line, it provides for two very important elements of any good film.
    Technically, the film is flawless and everything just works. It is also highly
    entertaining and very funny. My favourite thing were the Italian accents of Brad Pitt and his boys. Amazing. Excellent film! Expand

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?