7.7

1. Dec 1, 2014
    I am not a Tarantino fan with the exception of Reservoir Dogs (which I cannot fully explain), but this film is something else! Seriously, Christoph Waltz is unreal and the dialogue is worth every moment, even the base conversation in the farmhouse in the opening sequence.

I can also identify and understand it is not for everyone; however, it is undeniably unique, captivating, entertaining, twitch inducing, and during a few moments, difficult to watch, yet I only enjoy the more I see it.

Correction: This film was directed by Taratino while Eli Roth was uncredited.
  2. Nov 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Written and directed masterfully by Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds was a thrill ride all the way through with Christoph Waltz's brilliant Oscar winning role as Hans Landa and Brad Pitt's role as the Nazi scalping LT. Aldo Raine had me laughing all the way through. Inglourious Basterds tells the the tale of a bunch of Americans in Nazi occupied France near the end of War World 2. You can tell that this is Tarantino's take on how Hitler should have died and should have been killed, with the awesome scene near the end(Spoilers), where the Americans burn the theater with all the Nazi's in there and you see two American soldiers gun down Hitler and his accomplice. Tarantino is one of the best screenwriters/directors working today with such hits under his belt like, Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, and Reservir Dogs and with only one bad movie under his belt which is Death Proof. But after all that I'm going to give Inglourious Bastereds an A+. Check it out guys its worth a watch. Expand
  3. Nov 22, 2014
    QUENTIN **** TARANTINO KNOCKS IT OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FENWAY PARK ON IT'S FEET FOR QUENTIN **** MOVIE!!!!!!!! He went yardo on that one, out to **** Hollywood.
  4. Oct 26, 2014
    What a whopper of a war film. Great job QT! I definitely need to see this one again. Diane Kruger is fabulous as are all the rest the cast. You will find yourself swept up by the acting and the scenery. You can't help but cheer for Shoshanna.
  5. Oct 21, 2014
    In the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts ofIn the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts of retribution. Later known to their enemy as "the basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget von Hammersmark on a mission to take down the leaders of the Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquis, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own. Expand
  6. Aug 27, 2014
    Bold and fearless throughout. Tarantino has created a film without boundaries--allowing us to immerse ourselves into his unconvential, freakish and often extraordinary adventure. Christoph Waltz gives the finest performance of the year in the best film of the year!
  7. Aug 25, 2014
    The movie starts with a very slow scene, which makes one wonder what exactly they are going to see for the duration of the film. The plot is divided to several smaller stories, it seems, but they all come together in the end.

The Basterds themselves, in my opinion, didn't have nearly enough screen time to become the focus of the movie. None of them was a truly memorable personality, and like most of the characters of the movie, they remained rather hollow to the end. Bratty and violent, but hollow.

The only story and character that remained clear and true from start to finish was Mélanie Laurent's Shosanne Dreyfus. Her story was touching, and her motivation was very human, clear and powerful.

There were some funny moments, but those occurred too seldom, and the plot itself seemed to be very dialogue-driven; a lot of talk with little action. Sure, there was action, but the very first scenes gave a good indication how the future "chapters" would be structured, pretty much.

All in all I'm not sure how much I liked this movie. There was a plot, but it was too drawn out in many ways. While dividing the story into chapters worked, making sure the main plot didn't bounce all over in place and time, it also split the events a bit too far from each other, carried by too many characters.

Or maybe it's just Tarantino's style that I dislike, I don't know. I don't think I've ever seen a movie of his that I would have wholeheartedly enjoyed.
  8. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Inglourious Basterds wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't as good as Pulp Fiction or Django Unchained (the other Tarantino movies I've seen), but there was very good acting.
  9. Jun 15, 2014
    The film reveals many things,
    but ultimately it's egdy'ness stems
    as an over compensation, embarrassingly grounding the films absurd cartoonish plot. It really was an idea better left in Tarintino's personal to-do list and would never have been sanctioned at any other point in his career, ultimately lacking the cache and raw power of his other work. 3 for effort but essentially this
    The film reveals many things,
    but ultimately it's egdy'ness stems
    as an over compensation, embarrassingly
    grounding the films absurd cartoonish plot.
    It really was an idea better left in Tarintino's personal
    to-do list and would never have been sanctioned at any other
    point in his career, ultimately lacking the cache and raw power
    of his other work. 3 for effort but essentially this film is a cover up of
    its early theoretical conception, I almost wish this was the film he "never got to make"
  10. May 24, 2014
    This film is horribly inaccurate in terms of history, but screw it, it is fun as all get out. Like all Tarantino fare, we get our stylized violence, our pitch black comedy, and of course our closeup of an actress' foot (Diane Kruger here). Also, we get a great film. A close second place for me behind Pulp Fiction in terms of Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds features great cinematography andThis film is horribly inaccurate in terms of history, but screw it, it is fun as all get out. Like all Tarantino fare, we get our stylized violence, our pitch black comedy, and of course our closeup of an actress' foot (Diane Kruger here). Also, we get a great film. A close second place for me behind Pulp Fiction in terms of Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds features great cinematography and great acting, namely from Christoph Waltz, who absolutely killed it. Brad Pitt was also great and quite hilarious, to boot. From the onset of the film, Waltz' performance takes center stage as we watch him do what he does best: hunt Jews. We then see the same from his counterpart, Pitt, who is great at killing Nazis. These first two parts of the film really setup the film incredibly well for the final act, where spoilers. In addition to Waltz and Pitt, the whole cast did exceptionally well, in partucular Melanie Laurent and Diane Kruger. Michael Fassbender, Daniel Bruhl, and shockingly, Mike Myers, all have good turns as well. Throughout the film, there are many different genres being used terrifically. Of note, the comedic elements were great, in particular the scene in which Pitt attempts to speak Italian. These moments of comedy help to lighten the mood against the hyper violence that takes place (though never too dusturbing, typically the stuff depicted would bother me more, but Tarantino is so stylish, he gets away with it). However, the film also includes many thrilling/suspenseful scenes where your heart is in your throat as you await what happens, while coupling that with elements of war, drama, adventure, action genres, all of which used very artfully and really help to add to the general entertainment of the film.

On the negative side, the final part is a tad over the top. It came off as extremely odd and slightly off putting. However, the impact on the viewer is certainly still great and any over the topness is not a major complaint, rather something small that bugged me a little bit. Overall, Inglourious Basterds is one of Tarantino's best films and ultimately worthy of the praise it has received since its release.
  11. May 11, 2014
    Frankly, I'm surprised with the level of appreciation this film is receiving. It's an absolute mess of a movie. The acting is great but the plot is just nonsense. By far, Tarantino's worst film.
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    I love it. I love everything about it; the comedy is great, the acting is done very well, and the story s great. This movie has one or two flaws but overall 9/10
  13. Feb 11, 2014
    Absolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of BradAbsolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of Brad Pitt's predominantly INCREDIBLE (as always, mr. Pitt) performance, or maybe it was all that and more that made me really like this movie throughout (almost) every minute with a whopping playtime of two hours and about twenty five minutes. Expand
  14. Jan 14, 2014
    When I heard I was going to watch this movie in cinema, I began to sulk but when Brad Pitt's character was introduced, I nearly spilled my Gatorade due to that thick humorous American accent. The movie lost it's way somewhere in the middle but the ending was...Bravo! One of my favorite movies!
  15. Jan 3, 2014
    Inglorious Basterds is very good filmmaking on Tarantino's part, but some scenes tend to drag on, and the movie feels a bit scattered at times. Other than that, Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz were very enjoyable.
  16. Nov 23, 2013
    Besides of not being as genial as pulp fiction this movie of tarantino is another great reward on the career of this brilliant director,it have some mistakes but is good after all.
  17. Nov 3, 2013
    With great performances from Michael Fassbender and Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds is a fine combination of action and comedy in the backdrop of WWII Europe.
  18. Sep 13, 2013
    Had an incredibly strong start, however lost a bit of enjoyment during the middle, and got exciting again at the end. Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz provide masterful performances. The writing is excellent as a Tarantino film should be. Stands out as an incredibly bold, ambitious, and enjoyable film even if the middle is incredibly boring in contrast to the beginning.
  19. Sep 4, 2013
    Really nice story, if you've seen game of thrones or fantasy, and have a passion for knowledge of WWII, this is one of the best films for you too watch. Loads of people are saying the plot is too slow moving, but I disagree, as it allows you to take in exactly what is happening and links all the stories together.
    By far one of my favorite films 10/10 would watch again
  20. Jul 7, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewritesInglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewrites history by doing what every sane person on the planet would loved to have had the opportunity to do. Basterds is a long movie and one that doesn't always work, but when it does, it's absolutely mesmerizing. There's a lot going on in Inglorious Basterds, but Tarantino divides up the film into five chapters to give every character his or her due and every plotline time to develop. The first chapter introduces us to creepy Col. Hans Landa (nickname: The Jew Hunter). Landa enters a French farmhouse to interrogate dairy farmer Perrier LaPadite (Denis Menochet) and the scene that unfolds is a work of art, deserving of a second, and even third viewing. Landa asks for milk, seems as friendly as a kitten as he compliments the farmer on his delicious, nutritious product, and then, slowly, smoothly, the claws come out. Landa's evil incarnate, and he knows how to manipulate his prey without resorting to threatening behavior. Landa's after a family of Jewish farmers who've managed to elude him, and with an eerie calmness he weaves a story of hawks and rats, and turns the stalwart LaPadite into quivering prey. Other chapters introduce us to the remaining key players in the Inglourious Basterds universe. Lt Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt using a hilariously over-the-top accent) commands the Basterds, an elite group of Jewish soldiers whose sole purpose is to kill Nazis. But not just kill Nazis...no, the Basterds are out to butcher and scalp, exacting their special form of retribution on the Nazis for the horrors they inflected on Jewish men, women and children. While the Basterds joyously go about their Nazi killing mission, in Paris theater owner Shosanna (Melanie Laurent) goes about plotting her own revenge on the invading force. Pursued romantically by Nazi war hero Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Bruhl), Shosanna is presented with the opportunity to kill hundreds of Nazis in one fell swoop. Fredrick's exploits from earlier in the war have been immortalized in a movie directed by high-ranking official Joseph Goebbels (Sylvester Groth) and starring Fredrick as himself. Fredrick's wooing of Shosanna leads him to campaign for a change of venue for the premiere of Goebbels' film, Nation's Pride. Believing it will win over the French beauty, he requests Goebbels hold the event at Shosanna's theater, thus providing Shosanna with an unbelievable opportunity to wipe out Hitler and other major players in the Nazi party. Meanwhile, German's shining star of the silver screen, Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) is also involved in a plan to end Hitler's reign of terror. Working with the Basterds, von Hammersmark is plotting to take out Hitler at the film's premiere, which leads to the main players of Inglourious Basterds finally, at long last, coming together as the film winds toward its delicious, violent, explosive final act. Inglourious Basterds presents an alternate history, one far more pleasing than reality. Yes, it's talky, loaded with references to films past, and when things get violent, Tarantino doesn't shirk from showing the gore. But every single word in Inglourious Basterds is necessary, every scene serves a specific purpose, and every one of its 152 minutes is vital to the overall story. Tarantino is doing Tarantino here, but he's also showing a more restrained and focused style we haven't seen before from the man behind Reservoir Dogs and Grindhouse: Death Proof. Tarantino wedges in just as many film references as he's done with his prior movies, but not to the point of distraction as has occurred in some of his past work. Inglourious Basterds is a twisted World War II film filled with witty dialogue, rife with colorful characters, and sure to stir up controversy over its reshaping of history. Perfectly cast and exquisitely shot and edited, this is one WWII movie in which the outcome isn't lifted from the history books. It will, however, go down in history as one of Tarantino's most intriguing and entertaining films. Expand
  21. Jun 25, 2013
    It's not historically accurate, but that's not what you should see this movie for. Why you need to see this is because of many things: Fantastic acting. Wonderful dialogue. Great story and plot. To top it all of, the movie is the type that can be watched over and over again. The best Tarantino movie for sure and in my top 10.
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    A film carried by Christoph Waltz's brilliant performance. He mixes menacing evil with a sense of style through Tarantino's fantastic script. Tarantino continues to be one of the great directors of our time.
  23. May 24, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino is an excellent director of crime thrillers, so it was interesting to find out that he had written a WW2 movie. The result is a satirical epic with some great acting (particularly from Christoph Waltz) and violent set pieces. In comparison to most Tarantino films this is mediocre, but its still an enjoyable (though not necessarily true) film but the long running timeQuentin Tarantino is an excellent director of crime thrillers, so it was interesting to find out that he had written a WW2 movie. The result is a satirical epic with some great acting (particularly from Christoph Waltz) and violent set pieces. In comparison to most Tarantino films this is mediocre, but its still an enjoyable (though not necessarily true) film but the long running time could have been condensed. Otherwise, another Tarantino masterpiece. Expand
  24. May 19, 2013
    The movie is pretty good. It's pretty much 3 big scenes that play out. Brad Pitt is the biggest downer of the movie as his bad southern accent just feels so corny. Though the highlight of this film and has to be the best discovery is Christoph Waltz Who is just Amazing as the Nazi jew hunter. His performance is just captivating and what great acting is made of. I also thought MichaelThe movie is pretty good. It's pretty much 3 big scenes that play out. Brad Pitt is the biggest downer of the movie as his bad southern accent just feels so corny. Though the highlight of this film and has to be the best discovery is Christoph Waltz Who is just Amazing as the Nazi jew hunter. His performance is just captivating and what great acting is made of. I also thought Michael Fassbender did a good job as well in this. Its a good movie to see if you want to see some fine acting a interesting story as long as you can get past Brad Pitt. Expand
  25. Apr 25, 2013
    Best movie of Tarantino since Pulp Fiction Amazing film with a bunch of legendary scenes. Christoph Waltz he gives us one of the best performances of all time, no joke.
  26. Apr 5, 2013
    Wow, this movie is awesome. Tarantino never disappoints me by so far. The actors are very good and the story better. This is the movie I search for over a year, with this kind of action and war. Very good film.
  27. Mar 31, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino is one of those people you either love or hate. It's his unique stories and methodical attention to detail that have always stood out to me. For all you haters out there, the one thing you can't deny is Tarantino's unique ability to bring out the best in everyone he works with, and that is why many times, the cast members of his films earn Oscar nominations. InglouriousQuentin Tarantino is one of those people you either love or hate. It's his unique stories and methodical attention to detail that have always stood out to me. For all you haters out there, the one thing you can't deny is Tarantino's unique ability to bring out the best in everyone he works with, and that is why many times, the cast members of his films earn Oscar nominations. Inglourious Basterds is another uniquely strange story that just works, because of Tarantino. As has become his signature, the story is broken up into seemingly unrelated stories that all come together in a terrific ending. The story centers around a group of Jewish-American soldiers in World War II, whose assignment was to go into France, undercover, and track down and slaughter Nazis. It's a terrific cast led by Brad Pitt, but to me he wasn't so much the star of this film, that honor belongs to Christopher Waltz, who in his first major role, did win the Oscar for best supporting actor. It's a strong story and a great film, but something bothered me about it. Inglourious Basterds is of course a fictional story, so the attention to detail, such as having everyone speaking in their native languages, seemed someone unnecessary to me. That combined with subtitles that moved at the speed of light, made the story somewhat hard for me to follow. That's why I watched it a few times before reviewing it. There is no denying that this is one hell of a story with another tremendous cast, that deserved every award that it's won, however Tarantino's attention to detail, usually a strength, did take away from the film, as a whole, and did make some parts difficult to follow. Expand
  28. Mar 22, 2013
    Another revenge bore-a-thon from Tarantino, possibly the world's most overrated director. Not even a decent soundtrack for this one either. Well shot, average casting, poor soundtrack, terrible wandering cliched plot with stupid '70s' moments. Don't waste 2.5 hours of your life watching this garbage. His last good film was Pulp Fiction, everything since has been abysmal.
  29. Mar 13, 2013
    Inglorious Basterds is a film for those who love great cinema. But when the story drags and violence becomes a bit old it is hard to keep from becoming bored. Until Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) delivers a superb performance and jolts you right back into the story of a movie owner, group of Jewish solders, and one plan to kill the whole third reich.
  30. Mar 9, 2013
    People say Tarantino's best is Pulp Fiction. I will have to say that Basterds was more pleasing on several levels. This WWII half spoof half seriousness pleases audiences everywhere making it a truly memorable film.

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?