FilmDistrict | Release Date: September 13, 2013
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 223 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
brandonprowsSep 21, 2013
One of the most lazy and unthoughtful films I have ever had the displeasure to see. Is it a horror film? A comedy? A family drama about redemption? I wish I knew. The film is constantly trying to fit all of the above categories into a filmOne of the most lazy and unthoughtful films I have ever had the displeasure to see. Is it a horror film? A comedy? A family drama about redemption? I wish I knew. The film is constantly trying to fit all of the above categories into a film that is so conceited that it leaves you feeling disoriented and annoyed. The movie isn't fun; and it isn't scary either. All of the thrill and scares that the movie tries to bring in come from cheap scares that come from overly loud sounds and somewhat disturbing visuals. The plot makes no sense; even after seeing the first one when it came out, I was left wondering what I was watching. The characters are flat; it's almost as if the director and writer didn't even try to come up with something original. The climax to the film is a weird mixture between The Sixth Sense and The Shining that left me bored and slightly shocked that someone could be so unoriginal. Patrick Wilson plays the only redeemable character in the film, but James Wan's directing is so bad, that Mr. Wilson comes off as a second rate Jack Nicholson from The Shining... only without everything that made The Shining so good.
Unless you are a fourteen year old and feel like getting some cheap thrills off of your allowance money, or you're an adult and like my friends, drink booze during the film, you're not going to enjoy Insidious: Chapter 2. I wish I didn't pay full price for this. I wish I didn't even watch it. Horrendous film making; It saddens me to see the horror genre fall to this, and see people give high ratings to a movie as lazy as this.
StriderKiwiSep 16, 2013
As a fan of the original, I have to say that this one was a let down. So much of this movie makes no sense and characters do a lot of stupid and nonsensical things where as nothing of the such was present in the original. It's also not nearlyAs a fan of the original, I have to say that this one was a let down. So much of this movie makes no sense and characters do a lot of stupid and nonsensical things where as nothing of the such was present in the original. It's also not nearly as scary as the first. The directing, the editing, the writing, everything seems vastly weaker in Chapter 2. I hate to be that guy who says "It's a bad horror movie sequel to a masterpiece" especially because I usually don't feel that way, but this time it is the case. Insidious 2 is not worth paying to see, or at the very least is only worth a one dollar rental. At the very least, you'd probably just be better off rewatching the original. Collapse
Rex_richardsSep 14, 2013
If you are not a fan of the first movie, don't bother. This movie is extremely cheaply made and really formulaic and unexceptional. Where I live in england they have a trailer showing the audience screaming at the shocks, to try and get youIf you are not a fan of the first movie, don't bother. This movie is extremely cheaply made and really formulaic and unexceptional. Where I live in england they have a trailer showing the audience screaming at the shocks, to try and get you to go... a technique which works well... unless you look closely and realise the audience members screaming look like 12 year old girls. Really not one at all for any adult over the age of 20 unless you are really really bored. Expand
imthenoobDec 15, 2013
Liked the original but thought this film was just a recycling that was no where near as good. Incredibly boring, Not scary, and rather predictable. Would not recommend.
victorhjklJan 15, 2014
This movie like the other one isn't scare at all, sometimes is ridiculous, the story just like the other one doesn't make sense sometimes, it has the same mistakes than the other one, if you doesn't like the other one do not expect that oneThis movie like the other one isn't scare at all, sometimes is ridiculous, the story just like the other one doesn't make sense sometimes, it has the same mistakes than the other one, if you doesn't like the other one do not expect that one to be better... Expand
LaGuertaApr 29, 2014
After spending 105 minutes with this film, I can honestly say I have no idea what was achieved. Too dull and predictable to take seriously and guilty of plagiarising from not only the first instalment but every competent horror film madeAfter spending 105 minutes with this film, I can honestly say I have no idea what was achieved. Too dull and predictable to take seriously and guilty of plagiarising from not only the first instalment but every competent horror film made since Psycho. It's worst crime however is adversely affecting how we see the first film which was far superior. Yet, despite it's incompetence, Mr Wan has the audacity to end by setting up Chapter 3, we can only hope for a short book. Expand
dizzel679Oct 13, 2013
Very stupid, tedious and generally nonsensical movie. Every screamer and "scary moment" are predictable and those make you rather laugh, than scare. I regret watching this and advise to avoid as plague.
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
Insidious: Chapter 2 illustrates that, regardless of his past success in the horror movie field, James Wan is not infallible when it comes to the genre. The second installment of what is likely to become a franchise is disappointing preciselyInsidious: Chapter 2 illustrates that, regardless of his past success in the horror movie field, James Wan is not infallible when it comes to the genre. The second installment of what is likely to become a franchise is disappointing precisely because of Wan's recent track record. Insidious was two-thirds of a great movie and The Conjuring was three-thirds of one. Insidious: Chapter 2 is not only unnecessary but it commits the cardinal sin of devaluing its predecessor. Since this movie is presented not just as a sequel but as a continuation (at one point, it re-creates a scene from the first film from a different perspective), the first Insidious no longer stands alone. It is now weighed down by a second half that's equal parts incoherent, tedious, and repetitive.

The primary purpose of Insidious: Chapter 2 is to get the filmmakers out of the corner they wrote themselves into when crafting the end of Insidious. Although the kid, Dalton (Ty Simkins), is free from the weird dark "Further," the psychic (Lin Shaye) who facilitated his escape is dead and Dalton's dad, Josh (Patrick Wilson), is trapped, with a demonic creature having taken possession of his body. Josh's wife, Renai (Rose Byrne), quickly figures out something isn't right but it's left up to his mom, Lorraine (Barbara Hershey), to pick through the bones of the past and determine what's happening. The goal of Insidious: Chapter 2 is to free Josh from the "Further." This involves a lot of stumbling around in dark, decrepit rooms and corridors and enduring long, rambling flashbacks. Not only does Insidious: Chapter 2 lack tension (due in large part to its uneven, meandering pace) but even the scares are generic and obligatory. Wan, who has in the past shown the capability to develop and sustain high levels of suspense, falls back on the repeated use of "boo!" moments with things jumping in front of the camera and Joseph Bishara's score striking loud, discordant notes.

There are lengthy segments when Insidious: Chapter 2 seems unduly influenced by the supernatural aspects of the defunct David Lynch/Mark Frost TV series, Twin Peaks. There are demons that cross over and inhabit human bodies for the sole purpose of murder. There's a freaky other dimension that exists between life and death where spirits can become trapped. That place is ruled by demons and inhabited by strange creatures. The only things missing are dwarfs, cherry pie, and damn fine cups of coffee.

Wan has indicated Insidious: Chapter 2 might be his last horror film. Regardless of whether or not he returns to this series, it's clear the studio wants it to continue. The cliffhanger at the end of Insidious was designed to tweak the audience; it didn't demand a follow-up and, in fact, the need to resolve it is one of the major failings of Chapter 2. Not so with the ending of this movie. Yes, there's another cliffhanger but, on this occasion, it's clearly a hook for a Chapter 3. Considering the bad taste left over from installment #2, I have no interest in revisiting this franchise again in the near future. Horror is supposed to be scary and suspenseful (or at least creepy), not confusing and sleep-inducing. The most dispiriting thing is that we know Wan understands this; in this case, he just doesn't execute it.
Jarhead335Jul 31, 2015
I'm a horror enthusiast who can find something to love even in the worst places, (looking at you The Town That Dreaded Sundown). I enjoyed The Conjuring and its sequel, Annabelle, but missed the first installment of the Insidious series. II'm a horror enthusiast who can find something to love even in the worst places, (looking at you The Town That Dreaded Sundown). I enjoyed The Conjuring and its sequel, Annabelle, but missed the first installment of the Insidious series. I decided to take the leap and just watch Chapter 2 with no prior engagement, and I sorely wish I hadn't. After blithely sitting through the first 45 minutes, I began to nod off. By the end of the movie I was more bored than I have been watching a movie in years. Films like this give the horror genre not just a bad name, but are an absolute mockery of everything good horror should be. A tragic, tragic failing. Expand