6.9

1. Apr 29, 2014
    After spending 105 minutes with this film, I can honestly say I have no idea what was achieved. Too dull and predictable to take seriously and guilty of plagiarising from not only the first instalment but every competent horror film made since Psycho. It's worst crime however is adversely affecting how we see the first film which was far superior. Yet, despite it's incompetence, Mr Wan has the audacity to end by setting up Chapter 3, we can only hope for a short book. Expand
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    Wan's second chapter to the 2010 horror hit film Insidious is disappointingly less scary, less intense, and loosely-scripted. The story here is confusing and incoherent -- you don't exactly know who is the real antagonist ghost here. A bad sequel but still acceptable.
  3. Mar 6, 2014
    this is the most dumb thing that they could ever do make a another insidious . i thought the sequel what stepped up a a little bitt but it is not that fun . i hope they end insidous 3
  4. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie like the other one isn't scare at all, sometimes is ridiculous, the story just like the other one doesn't make sense sometimes, it has the same mistakes than the other one, if you doesn't like the other one do not expect that one to be better...
  5. Dec 15, 2013
    Liked the original but thought this film was just a recycling that was no where near as good. Incredibly boring, Not scary, and rather predictable. Would not recommend.
  6. Nov 8, 2013
    Insidious Chapter 2 is a solid follow up to it's predecessor the 2010 low budget but highly successful film, Insidious. It might be not as good as the first one, but it was up to the creep level and style of the first, with low budget considered to other horror movies, James Wan shows us what he can do with such budget, he knows where to spend money, considering that he spent a little bit more on this film. Insidious Chapter 2 has that 90's vibe to it although it is original, with SOME ideas never used before, but still there is some cliched stuff and predictable jump scares, but what is funny that you know it is coming and you know what will scare you but you still jump. The acting is good, the tension is solid at times, the effects are really good, but at most of the time it falls apart, and somehow it becomes dull and predictable. Is it better than recents (The Conjuring, You're Next)? NO. Is it worth checking it out in theaters? For the scare yes. Is it worth checking at all? if you are fan of the first one, if not I recommend The Conjuring, which is ten times better and scarier, it received an R rating for just being scary for God's Sake! Expand
  7. Nov 1, 2013
    What a disappointment. This is one of those films that focus more on storytelling than actually making it enjoyable. Unlike the first film, almost all scares were predictable, it wasn't creepy, it wasn't that suspenseful, and it had only ONE effective scare. I can't believe I wasted $16.00 to contribute to its box office money.
  8. Oct 13, 2013
    Very stupid, tedious and generally nonsensical movie. Every screamer and "scary moment" are predictable and those make you rather laugh, than scare. I regret watching this and advise to avoid as plague.
  9. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the most lazy and unthoughtful films I have ever had the displeasure to see. Is it a horror film? A comedy? A family drama about redemption? I wish I knew. The film is constantly trying to fit all of the above categories into a film that is so conceited that it leaves you feeling disoriented and annoyed. The movie isn't fun; and it isn't scary either. All of the thrill and scares that the movie tries to bring in come from cheap scares that come from overly loud sounds and somewhat disturbing visuals. The plot makes no sense; even after seeing the first one when it came out, I was left wondering what I was watching. The characters are flat; it's almost as if the director and writer didn't even try to come up with something original. The climax to the film is a weird mixture between The Sixth Sense and The Shining that left me bored and slightly shocked that someone could be so unoriginal. Patrick Wilson plays the only redeemable character in the film, but James Wan's directing is so bad, that Mr. Wilson comes off as a second rate Jack Nicholson from The Shining... only without everything that made The Shining so good.
    Unless you are a fourteen year old and feel like getting some cheap thrills off of your allowance money, or you're an adult and like my friends, drink booze during the film, you're not going to enjoy Insidious: Chapter 2. I wish I didn't pay full price for this. I wish I didn't even watch it. Horrendous film making; It saddens me to see the horror genre fall to this, and see people give high ratings to a movie as lazy as this.
  10. Sep 20, 2013
    I really hate to say it, but this movie was so disappointing. I expected the same, if not more of the same type of scares I got from Insidious. The acting was a bit turgid most of the plot was sort of cheesy. The scare sequences are predictable and boring. However, I do admire the fact that it was made under a small budget and became so successful commercially. I also admire the fact that the crew shot the movie sort of like an homage to 1970's and 1980's horror films, camera wise. The music is also spine tingling. But other than that, it's just a disappointment. I'm sorry to be so harsh but it wasn't what I thought it would be. I felt like I was in the theatre like 4 hours because of how long and drawn out it was. Expand
  11. Sep 17, 2013
    The original "Insidious" on its own terms works well enough, but its repetitive, unimaginative sequel clearly verifies that director James Wan is overextending in the name of continuing a franchise. "Insidious: Chapter 2" isn't a total disaster, but it is a disappointment when compared to the first installment, and Wan's most recent success with "The Conjuring" (2013). Despite some clever plotting, interweaving the film's second half with events from the original, it simply lacks tension and falls short on scares.

The opening prologue set almost 30 years prior, gives us a shadowy realm called the Further. In this place, the souls of the dead who refuse to accept their fate, and wander around searching for a way to reconnect with the real world. Following the prologue, events pick up right where the first movie ended. Josh (Patrick Wilson) has just rescued son Dalton (Ty Simpkins), whose spirit form had traveled away from his physical body, and is now trapped in a dimension not meant for the living. In their return to the real world, however, the same spectral presence that terrorized Josh as a child an old lady wearing a black veil in a wedding dress, has followed him back.

With the present-day Elise (Lin Shaye) found strangled to death, Renai (Rose Byrne) cannot curb her intuition that husband Josh might have had something to do with it. She trusts him and doesn't believe he'd be capable of murder, but when she looks into his eyes she no longer recognizes the man she married. As forensic sends away tests on fingerprints, the Lambert family go to stay with Lorraine (Barbara Hershey), hoping the worst is behind them.

What made the first film creepy and chilling is now all familiar material, and the addition of a back story infused with some artificial conflict isn't nearly enough to compensate for its lack of suspense. The storyline lacks structure leaving the movie noticeably uneven, and the plot ultimately becomes tiresome and convoluted. The ending is your typical, predictable sequel conclusion to keep the franchise going after Wan's exit. Inevitably, "Insidious 3" is only a matter of time, and it will continue to stretch a story that doesn't have much else to say.
  12. Sep 16, 2013
    As a fan of the original, I have to say that this one was a let down. So much of this movie makes no sense and characters do a lot of stupid and nonsensical things where as nothing of the such was present in the original. It's also not nearly as scary as the first. The directing, the editing, the writing, everything seems vastly weaker in Chapter 2. I hate to be that guy who says "It's a bad horror movie sequel to a masterpiece" especially because I usually don't feel that way, but this time it is the case. Insidious 2 is not worth paying to see, or at the very least is only worth a one dollar rental. At the very least, you'd probably just be better off rewatching the original. Expand
  13. Sep 14, 2013
    If you are not a fan of the first movie, don't bother. This movie is extremely cheaply made and really formulaic and unexceptional. Where I live in england they have a trailer showing the audience screaming at the shocks, to try and get you to go... a technique which works well... unless you look closely and realise the audience members screaming look like 12 year old girls. Really not one at all for any adult over the age of 20 unless you are really really bored. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Sara Stewart
    Sep 30, 2013
    At the start of Insidious 2, a young woman opens her mouth to speak and someone else’s voice comes out of her. Demonic possession? Nope, just some inexplicable dubbing to kick off this clunker of a horror sequel.
  2. Reviewed by: Jesse Hassenger
    Sep 19, 2013
    The techniques of the movie, then, are sound. Wan still moves his camera and composes his shots with a patience that belies his dank Saw origins. But the cinematography isn’t as virtuosic this time around.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Sep 17, 2013
    Insidious Chapter 2 picks up where its predecessor left off-- in abject silliness.