7.0

1. Apr 5, 2011
    This movie was HORRIBLE.... Not even made well the same "scary" music played every time it was going to be a scary part but it wasn't scary at all. If you enjoyed the movie Drag Me To Hell you will love this one we laughed a lot during the movie! Don't waste your time, I love scary movies and this one was far from scary .
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    Quite possibly the most enjoyable comedy I have seen in a while. There were multiple times I held back from laughing out loud, and several times I uttered "What?". The only movement that this movie made me do was to cover my ears from the overly loud shrills. In the end I enjoyed this movie, if only because the whole time I was hearing commentary from Crow and Tom Servo.
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    I'll admit- I saw this movie with LOW expectations. I didn't expect to like it at all. Now that this has been said:

The first parts of the film were a bit rushed. Within twenty minutes, we have a "Three Months Later" card. Despite this, there were some genuinely creepy moments, with some good atmosphere and even a bit of tension. Still, these moments lacked any central focus, and
    generally felt unconnected and confusing. (Which may have been interesting if not for certain things that I'll mention later...)

By the second third of the movie, things REALLY went downhill. We are introduced to several characters in a short time (including a priest who has all of ONE line, if I remember correctly.) and rather quickly given an elaborate pseudoscience explanation for the issues at hand. (What's great about this is it turns the remainder of the film into flat-out comedy!) Things get very silly by the end, but the film doesn't seem to notice, treating even the most preposterous things as if they actually had the possibility of scaring people.

In its entirety, "Insidious" feels contrived, pretentious, and rushed.

To conclude: If you watch this for the horror, you will be sorely disappointed. If you watch it for the horrifying monsters who enjoy the musical stylings of Tiny Tim, you'll be one happy astral projector.
  4. Aug 23, 2011
    The Amityville Horror Starring Darth Maul! by D Veeb (Aug 23, 2011)
    This is the second time I've fallen victim to the line "scariest film since The Exorcist!" (the first was that awful piece of dreck "The Blair Witch Project") At any rate, this film would probably be entertaining to you if you're 13 years old and are talking or texting through the film as any notion of cohesive
    storytelling has clearly been put on the back burner in favor of standard issue horror film "gotcha" moments. In fact, this film is so cliche´ that I truly expected to see a pig coming through the bedroom window (Amityville Horror). The film has some startling moments, and a few somewhat decent visuals, but the script, acting, and directing are really sub-par. The kid clearly falls off the ladder and hits the back of his head. In the next scene, he's got a big shiner on his forehead above his eye! Gimme a break! And the music and sound effects were so over-the-top, hitting you over the head with "THIS IS SCARRY!" slams. Plus...the demon bears a striking resemblance to Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace! Really?!?! Do yourself a favor, skip this mess! Expand
  5. Jul 27, 2011
    I've not seen many movies as dumb as Insidious in my entire life. That MAY be an exaggeration, considering all the positive things I heard about it, but that doesn't make all that much of a difference.

The movie was predictable, insipid, and silly and just really shoddily done. The acting is atrocious from most of the cast, especially the father. It's as if the writers pulled together
    several hundred ghostly anecdotes, scary pictures that have been floating around the internet for years, horror story tropes, etc. and somehow created a movie out of it.

The only aspect of the movie that I CAN respect is something that I just complained about: It is silly, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. There are some things included that aren't in every horror story such as the "tip-toe through the tulips" theme song (those who have seen it know what I mean) and the two paranormal detectives and their gadgets. Those were the only parts even slightly entertaining or enjoyable.

Rental, at best, if there's absolutely nothing else on netflix or redbox you're interested in.
  6. Aug 30, 2011
    Ha! I don't think this was intended as a belly-laugh comedy, but the second half of the film had me doubled up.
    First half is your by the numbers Paranormal Activity style disposable horror flick. Then it gets on to a scene where the 'woman who speaks to dead people' character starts to spell out what's actually going on. The male lead then spouts lines that were going through my head and
    acknowledges how ridiculous the plot is. I expected all the actors to agree with him and suddenly walk off set, but they carry on regardless and take the film on towards it's comedy final act.
    1 point for the comedic value, but don't go out of your way to experience it for yourself. This is just a bad student film with a big budget.
    Although on balance, I did watch this in the company of two other viewers and they found it genuinely terrifying. The only thing that spoiled it for them was my running commentary of sarcastic remarks...and laughter.
  7. Jun 6, 2012
    This is the worst horror movie in a very long time. Just by watching the first 5 minutes, the whole plot becomes clear and nothing is a surprise. The movie was like a PG-13 episode of Scooby-Doo. All the moments where demons came at you were completely expected with no surprise of any kind. This s not even worth your time, this is not even worth a days renal. Even if you find if at the library, don't get it. Trust me, if you have to pick between Insidious, and Barney's Halloween party, pick Barney. Expand
  8. Oct 6, 2012
    From the images floating around the internet, I had extremely high hopes for this one. What started out as a truly uneasy environment full of suspense and genuine fear, later turned into a finale that had me laughing at the very "monsters" themselves. The plot has been done a hundred time before, and some of the acting is a bit... "off". While the first hour is actually scary and uncomfortable to watch, it quickly goes from long, drawn out scenes of the protagonist walking through the house at night trying to find where all the noises keep coming from, to a "Hey audience!!! Look at this monster!!! It's so scary!! Be scared!!! WooOOOooo!!"

To be honest, if it had ended 30 minutes earlier than it did, it would have been a decent horror flick in itself, but the plot gets, for the lack of a better word, "cheesy", and feeble attempts at comic relief make it all the less frightful.

This is the kind of thing you watch with your friends, but start chit-chatting half way through the "scares".
  9. Jan 13, 2014
    This movie isn't scary at all, sometimes instead of being scared I was laughing, the only interesting part is the end, that can, maybe, you stay looking forward to the next one, the characters are poorly made and sometimes the movie just doesn't make sense.
  10. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "From the makers of Paranormal Activity and Saw" Oh boy what else you can expect after two movies showing 90 minutes of static camera, random opening doors -cause we have a paranormal activity hun- and 6 worthless continuations of Saw (yes actually 1st one was kinda decent)... simply nothing ! Interesting but typical begging with overused baby monitor scene that can gave u couple of goose bumps (those who went to see movie will know what I'm talking about) with hilarious I repeat HILARIOUS scenes including" man with a fire on his face" Personally I **** laughed like a little kid, when I saw this dude looking like its Trick-or-treating time costume on Halloween... save yourself couple of bucks and If u wanna get something positive out of that topic go and buy a good book. Expand
  11. Jul 26, 2011
    In these environmentally conscious times, I can only applaud the production team for making the most of two unfinished movies and editing them together to be released as one. The first part of the film goes through all the standard horror elements that you've seen before with a few individual twists, where all of the three or four moments of scaring you rely on things jumping or running into frame. After that, where the second film takes over for the laughs, we have five solid minutes of exposition which I defy you to sit through with a straight face and say "oh so THAT'S what's going on!" You'll be pleased to know that Darth Maul gets reused in this film as one of the several bad guys who get thrown at you, and Insidious also has the best use of a WWII gas mask that I've ever seen in a modern comedy. And whoever the guy is in Hollywood who gets to push those kitchen drawers out, he gets another credit on his CV thanks to this one. Anyway, I'll be back in a second - I'm just off to astral project into the future to see the Jim Carrey remake. WoooOOOOooooOOOOOooOOOH! Expand
  12. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a weird movie, that jumps quickly between boring, mildly interesting, and ridiculously stupid. It's good for a couple of good scares in the beginning, but the movie quickly deteriorates from there. The big slogan was, it's not the house that's haunted, and it was compared to the exorcist, both couldn't be further from the truth. Without going into details, the story is just stupid. The special effects are laughable, and the acting is so-so. The kid, newcomer Ty Simpkins, was mildly entertaining and did do a nice job. The parents weren't too bad either, but the rest of the cast were just terrible, a perfect fit for a movie that is pure If it wasn't for a couple of scares and the fact that I was laughing at how stupid some of the parts were, this movie would have gotten zero. It's a complete and utter waste of time. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    I watched it because it has pretty good ratings and was hoping for a great modern horror but what I got was mediocrity. I'm not pretending to be a tough guy, I get scared easily, but this movie simply was not scary. It had maybe 3 good jump scares throughout but jump scares are cheap horror and easy to pull off.

The plot was interesting at first when we didn't know what was happening
    but when its revealed its a complete joke. I won't spoil it but the ending has been done time and time again, and I could see it coming long before it happened. Aside from that there are huge inconsistencies with the spirits abilities. I could barely take it seriously because of all this.

Yet another mediocre modern horror...
  14. Jan 20, 2014
    I do not find Insidious to be that good. I believe Insidious is nothing more than an over-hyped thriller with a handful of scares, and an enjoyable cameo by a Tiny Tim song.
  15. Jan 20, 2014
    Wow, this movie sucks ass. If you think this movie is good or scary you obviously haven't watched any before. It's the same **** over and over again. Every single scary movie has the people seeing or experiencing creepy or "scary" things and yet they continue to stay in the place or house and not do anything about it and the "husband" never believes it at first and then things happen to him and then he believes then they get help and the help runs off. The movie is Crap seriously if you think this is a good movie then my god it's no wonder they keep making this **** it's not even scary at all. I love horror movies but f**k me they are so **** and not scary. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Apr 3, 2011
    If there's a complaint to be made about Insidious, it's that the film's second half is unable to live up to the impossibly high standards set by the first half.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 1, 2011
    It feels more like a poor man's "Poltergeist, " minus the static-filled TV.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Neumaier
    Apr 1, 2011
    Insidious doesn't feature the lazy, home-video-style terror of "Paranormal Activity," thankfully. But it's also pretty normal activity for a ghost story.