7.7

1. Sep 1, 2013
    This movie has the emotional intensity of BELLA, the humor of JUNO, and the social ramifications of KRAMER vs KRAMER. (I know I have watched a good movie when a year later, I scan the video store shelf and I can remember the plot of the movie. Trust me,you will remember everything from this film.) Loved the line sincerely expressed by a friend to the new Mexican father, "You better learn English so you can understand your American baby when she starts speaking." Don't let the subtitles keep you away. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2013
    This is the highest grossing Spanish-language film to open in North America and it's aimed squarely at the family-film audience that Disney targets. Eugenio Derbez (who also co-wrote & directed) plays a ladies' man, whose life is upended when one of his former girlfriends drops off her baby at his door. Seven years later, she shows back up to re-claim the daughter he's raised. This is big on sentiment: broad comedy, dramatic conflict and tender emotion. Loreto Peralta (the daughter) is sweet and appealing. The audience around me was enthusiastic (some of the references are strictly cultural) and the movie is not without charms, but it's not likely to appeal to English-speaking families because of the subtitles. Expand
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    This movie is such a great movie, I loved it. It made me laugh so much and cry towards the end. Very good story line, la la loved it. No one walked out of that movie disappointed they all agreed it was a fantastic movie. P.s dont forget your tissues
  4. Sep 19, 2013
    Comedy drama and the whole range of emotions in between; the story has definite cultural characteristics that make it more powerful if understood.

However, the conflict of values generated by the plot -a single, freedom loving beach bum in Acapulco faced with the responsibility of raising a daughter, traveling to a country he does not understand, and forging a happy life in the face of
    the most devastating adversity, is universal and should touch everyone's heart.

When an artist has the inspiration to move the audience from laughter to tears he has accomplished his goal of touching people's lives.

The critics have spoken, now the public is raving! A masterpiece of a great comedian.
    Go see it for yourself. Highly recommend it.
  5. Aug 31, 2013
    This movie is really good hope you guys can see it. Just the end is a bit different but is really good and sometimes is going up and down to fast from laugh to a drama but is super good
  6. Sep 1, 2013
    This movie was good from beginning to end. I love it. I hope everybody enjoys it as mush as me and my family did. Don't forget to take some tissue ur going to need it.
  7. Oct 1, 2013
    Great movie, very few movies make me cry an laugh at the same time, if you consider the $5 million budget, this movie is great hit, its a "must see" movie, in any language, in any country, you will get the message, Highly recomended.
  8. Sep 21, 2013
    This film works in so many ways. Although it has one or two moments that are melodramatic, even those moments work well. The ending is truly impressive and it has several themes and messages that are very positive such as confronting fear and the power of love. I would love to share this film with as many family members as possible.
  9. Sep 16, 2013
    Yes, the Latino-American audience is neglected and starved for films of any kind. Consequently, this one's doing rather well but it doesn't deserve it and it serves more as a 90-minute insult to anyone who needs just a bit of plausibility for something to be entertaining. This film has a few quick comedic moments and an amazing performance by its 7-year-old star. But it is so fraught with improbable plot contrivances, shameless melodrama and just bad writing, anyone still tempted to see it would be well-advised to check their brains in at the box office. I also found it downright insulting to immigrants from everywhere that the main character, after 7 years of living in Los Angeles and making a very good living as a fearless stuntman, cannot even make the slightest attempt at speaking English where it would be necessary, while every gringo he gets to know inexplicably speaks perfect Spanish. The sad part is, so much of what's wrong with this movie could have been fixed if just one bright Mexican-American film student had been given two days to knock out a liberal re-write. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ESTA PELICULA ES SUPER RECOMENDADA, YA QUE LA PELÍCULA NARRA UNA HISTORIA SORPRENDENTE QUE MANTIENE ENTRETENIDO AL RECEPTOR! ADEMAS QUE NO ES UNA PELÍCULA MUY COMUN COMO LAS QUE ESTAMOS ACOSTUMBRADOS A MIRAR!| SINO QUE ES DIFERENTE POSITIVAMENTE HABLANDO! MUCHAS FELICIDADES A MÉXICO, PERO SOBRE TODO AL GRAN EUGENIO DERBEZ! Expand
  11. Sep 24, 2013
    It is a movie to remember. It is one of the greatest comdys of all time. It will become a classic instantly.
    Eugenia Derbez is in one of his best performances of all time and the best since he ended the show la familia P. Luche. If you are going to the movies soon, I recommend you to see it you will not retreated.
  12. Sep 28, 2013
    Congratulations Mr. Eugenio Dervez. “Instructions Not Included’ turned out to be a good job. The Oscar for Best Foreign Film will be a good prize.

Widely recommend it because the person can go to the movies, spending time enjoying the comedy. Good job!
  13. Sep 30, 2013
    Don't waste your time and money, its unfunny, totally unrealistic, is like watching the puppies super bowl, if you want to see something with the same story line but better, watch 'Big Daddy' instead...
  14. Oct 6, 2013
    We have seen this type of story over and over again, last time the playboy was interpreted by Adam Sandler in Big Daddy. This movie is predictable, it represents bad television and bad film making, the kind sadly sponsored by Televisa to a public with very low standards and expectations.
    Derbez acting and characterization of a playboy is highly poorly drafted and executed.
  15. Nov 22, 2013
    The movie is sh*t. The story mix the typical mexican melodrama and Big Daddy by Adam Sandler but bad executed. Not original, very bad acting, Derbez is an overrated mexican actor, over-advertising.Televisa brainwashed has been successful.
  16. Nov 8, 2013
    Si.
    Oui.
    Ja.
    Imo.
    Etc.

This movie is the best I have seen so far. It is actually the FIRST movie to actually make me laugh.
    it was a masterpiece beginning to end.
    and the ending. What a mind-twist.
    Those few bucks for that ticket are all worth it for this film.
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    This movie is just amazing, it has a lot of funny moments, but still, the story is really nice, and has nicely developed characters, it even made me cry... Still, has a lot of issues, but overall it's a really good movie.
  18. Oct 3, 2013
    I loved the movie it was funny, sad and unexpected situations in life. Most of this movie is fantastic to relate to with the charector at least me. Is a great movie.
  19. Oct 4, 2014
    This movie surpassed all expectations I had and was a great surprise. Even with the linguistic barriers involved, it was still enjoyable. If some things in the movie (such as becoming a man by jumping off a cliff) sound unrealistic or stupid, people really do things like that in other cultures. I especially like this movie because in the US, there aren’t many films aimed toward minorities.

The story starts funny but becomes more "deep" as the film progresses. The unexpected shocks and twists near the end are heartbreaking, and only make the ending sadder. One thing I think is weird is the transition between comedy to family drama. It's a bit awkward and could’ve been done better, but this doesn’t ruin the film. We've heard this story before, but this movie seems to tell it in a different, original way. Don't let the subtitles keep you away! Eugenio Derbez is great and his daughter is sweet and funny; they have great chemistry. Overall, this is just a fun movie and I recommend that Hispanics families watch it!

(Keep in mind that knowing Spanish or understanding Hispanic culture wouldn't when watching the movie.)

Score: 8.8

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on movies, TV shows, and videogames. I have reviewed 30 movies, including the 2014 films: The Maze Runner, The Expendables 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Guardians of the Galaxy, Sharknado 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Divergent, Transcendence, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Blended, The Lego Movie, and more. I also review TV shows, such as: TNT’s The Last Ship, Fox's Sleepy Hollow, ABC's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, CW's The 100, Fox's I Wanna Marry Harry, NBC's Crisis, Fox's Gang Related, and more. I also have reviewed the mobile game Minecraft-Pocket Edition.
  20. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. una película muy buena y especial, con mucha intensidad emocional, pasa de la tristeza a la risa, la dirección es muy buena como la fotOgrafia, el mismo director es el actor principal, una de las mejores peliculas que he visto, te la recomiendo Collapse
  21. Jan 26, 2014
    One of the best family movies I have ever seen. Eugenio Derbez has directed and starred what I feel to be one of his best movies. As a father I would recommend this movie to any father out there no matter what language you speak. The underlying message can be appreciated by all.
  22. Mar 7, 2014
    Derbez combined humor and drama in this movie, if you have some knowledge of Spanish, then you'll understand a bit, but if you are following Derbez career then is a must have in your DVD collection, this is a nice job... I'm pretty sure poorly reviews here will be different if Sandler were the actor on this, definitely is a good start from Derbez...
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. . “Instructions not included” has become one of my favorite movies by just watching it once. It’s a great family movie about a Mexican single father raising his American daughter that was abandon by her mother in Mexico. The movie will make you laugh hysterically, cry, and think. Watching this movie with my family was a really nice because everyone enjoyed the movie just as much as I did.
    The movie starts out in Acapulco Mexico where a young single bachelor is surprised at the door by one of his American flings. She showed up at the door with a baby girl in her arms saying that it was their love child. While he was trying to take it all in she asked for money to go pay the taxi and never came back. He tried to go look for her and saw her board a plane to the U.S. So then he went and hitch hiked all the way to L.A with the baby to go find her mom. He went to look for her at a hotel where babies weren’t allowed and he left the baby down stairs. He went looking in a suit where a movie director was having auditions for a stunt man. When he barged in the room he saw the baby about to fall in the pool and jumped from the balcony to save her. The director offered him a job and told him he would get the baby taken away if he tried to take her back to Mexico. So he decided to take the job as a stunt man and start a new life for himself and his daughter.
    He was an excellent dad he gave his daughter everything she wanted. He struggled being a single dad but he made it all work out in his own creative ways. The two were like two peas in a pod nothing could keep them apart. The dad had doctor appointments and was always nervous to go to and so his daughter would always go with him. She would even take shots with her dad so he wouldn’t be scared. He seemed to be very worried since the doctor told him that the treatment they had tried hadn’t worked. Soon after that the long lost mother came around asking to see her daughter. When she came to see her she couldn’t get enough of the daughter she had once abandon. She then took the dad to court to fight for full custody so she could take her with her to New York. The dad won the full custody and the mom couldn’t believe it. She then asked to get a DNA test to check her daughter’s paternity and it showed that he wasn’t her real dad. The daughter and dad then walked all the way back to Acapulco where their journey first started. When the mom went to go look for them the dad’s boss told him that she had to find out what was really going on and she had to go look for them in Acapulco. She got there and found them playing in the beach. They were a happy family for about two weeks. One day on the beach when they were looking at the sunset the little girl fell asleep and never woke up. She had a rare disease that made her fall asleep almost instantly and one day she wouldn’t wake up from it. On her last days she was the happiest and had all she wanted and that was being by her parent’s side happily ever after.
    This movie really touched me just because you never know what can happen. After all the things the dad did for his little girl he was about to lose her in a blink of an eye. Nothing could stop him from being by his daughter and so he just walked away with her and was ready to start all over in another country. The love of a father is so big and sometimes it can be unappreciated as you grow up and that really made me think about my dad. A father’s love can never be out grown or replaced. This movie has me that things can happen unexpectedly and you have to figure out how to overcome it on your own. It will have you laughing from the beginning and through the entire move and in a second it will have your eyes watery. The title “Instructions not included” tells you that in life things can be thrown at you at any time and you have to figure out a solution on your own. The chemistry between the father and his daughter is so powerful and seems so real. It’s an excellent family movie with a great message. The overall story and how the plot all falls together just made it impossible to not watch. I recommend this movie to everyone and especially for a family night.
  24. Mar 31, 2014
    This movie is a really waste of pesos, well thats great cos im not going to pay more than pesos to see this **** Come on mother **** this movie is like a bad taco.

The ending of the movie is a real grabber, the sort of thing that lifts and improves a tediously long and otherwise mediocre film and tricks you into thinking it was better than it really was as you leave the theater.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Sep 6, 2013
    The film’s counterintuitive success is largely due to Derbez, who demonstrates why he is beloved, both south and north of the border.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Sep 5, 2013
    Instructions Not Included is a sporadically amusing but unduly protracted dramedy that slowly — very slowly — devolves into a shameless tearjerker during its third act.