8.5

1. Nov 5, 2014
    The best thing about Interstellar is that, like Inception, the science and the ideas are as real, as sophisticated, and as advanced, as any ideas out there. If you see a critic or somebody saying this is convoluted or overly complex that says more about their lack of understanding than about the movie. We should be thrilled Nolan is thinking about and making movies about these things. Bravo.
  2. Nov 5, 2014
    Music perfectly falls on the picture, the story can not tear myself away from the screen for almost three hours. This is simply the best modern sci-fi film. And don't forget, story based on Kip Thorne works, and theoretically it can be true! ^_^
  3. Nov 5, 2014
    Terrible performances and even worse writing, filled with gaping plot holes and over wrought direction. It's a clunky mess of film. Such a shame. It had so much potential.
  4. Nov 7, 2014
    Very disappointing. Everything is done for cool visuals and nothing makes sense. Serious and pretentious and ultimately boring. Wants to be about the future of the human race, but ends up being about the power of love. ;-/ There's a lot of great visual references to 2001 and some good humor actually, but you can't help wondering how the script was green lit. It could have been great if he had taken more (or less) LSD! Expand
  5. Nov 9, 2014
    The more you know, the stupider this film seems. If you passed any high-school science class or played Kerbal Space Program for a few hours, you will want to retch. Some of the SFX will impress people who think loud music means drama. This is a fraud, an insult to the notion of science fiction.
  6. Nov 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *** spoilers ***

While visually stunning, this is one of the most flawed films in recent memory. Flawed, because more time was spent rendering out the special effects than developing a screenplay worthy of the cast and budget. When you're a filmmaker who can make anything you want - on film - there is no excuse for your films to not bring something new to the table and work at a basic screenplay level.

Interstellar does not ask new questions and with a script that literally feels like a first draft --I'm just shocked that Nolan didn't develop this more. The entire core of this film is the relationship between our lead Cooper and his daughter - but this is so rushed and honestly, extremely cheesy, that we don't care what happens. They spend far too much in time in space - with a ridiculous plot involving Matt Damon - and cut back to Earth is sporadic cuts that pull us into so many directions. There is no focus in this film.

This film proves that the Nolan brothers can not handle a couple of things: writing females and writing emotional characters that we're attached to. The dialogue was laughable - over the top in many places - and basically just a ton of one-liners.

We cut from Cooper learning he has to go to space - says goodbye - boom on the rocket - NO ATTACHMENT. There is zero development here - just get him to space, which fails to tell the core story well - which bites this movie in its ass in the third act. There are countless films that do this way better - Apollo 13, Close Encounters (they don't even go to space there) - if you want the audience to care about your characters then you have to spend more time making them care - not as much with the science and pizzaz - and I know everyone will love this movie, but it's not just minor flaws here - it's gaping holes in both motivation and development.

Forced. Rushed. However you want to put it - I'm sorry folks - it's not a great movie - not even a good one. Everything is spoon fed to the audience - no, not just the science - the twists - I didn't know on the nose screen writing was so acceptable in Hollywood - guess it is. They talk about ghosts so many times within the first act that anyone with half a brain KNEW there was something there - and if you know anything about space travel, black holes - or any of the stuff that is talked about in the trailers - you can put two and two together and call the major twist in the FIRST ACT. I literally turned to my girlfriend and called it - as did the other 5 people we were with...

And yes - I understood all the underlying themes and motifs he was playing with - love/gravity etc - but it wasn't enough to save a script where the characters aren't given room to breath.
  7. Nov 5, 2014
    I emplore everyone to put the critics aside and go into this film with an open mind. It does get pretty science-y but do not let that stop you! This movie is a brilliant opus to both 2001 (with a MUCH more satisfying climax) not saying the end of 2001 is bad, also another amazing movie. There is also some subtle points to the movie The Black Hole. If you have seen both of these, movies then you should get the references. Jaw-dropping soundtrack! Cinematography is some of the best that I have seen this year. I really feel that this is Nolan's love letter to the genre. The movie is not without fault though, but everything blended so WELL that I still gave it a 10. I have not had a movie invoke so much emotion as this one did in a long time! One more thing to note, if you plan on seeing this, please see it in 70MM IMAX! It just adds to the size and scope of the movie! Expand
  8. Nov 7, 2014
    Christopher Nolan did it again; Interstellar will twist your mind and fill your heart with love. Interstellar isn't just a massive space-adventure. It's much more than that; it’s a film about human bonding.

Interstellar is by far the best sci-fi film of the year, and one of the greatest of all time. The vast storyline about the connection between us humans is so incredible, I felt so
    attracted to the characters and I almost started crying because it's so dramatic and epic. I usually don't feel so attracted to the characters like in Interstellar, so this was just so incredible! When it comes to the actors and their roles, are they all superb. Matthew McConaughey as Cooper is just fantastic; he's both dramatic and stunning in action. Jessica Chastain and Mackenzie Foy as Murph are both awesome, even a bit touching. One aspect of Interstellar (when it comes to the actors) is that there's one actor I didn't expect to be in this film, so it was a big surprise! There's even some humor between the characters in this film, which I didn't expect. As mentioned, the story is wonderful, but there might be some slow scenes in the end of the first act, but the ending explained it all so there's nothing wrong about it!

Interstellar is a film that just kept going and going when I saw it. I thought it would end like 3 or 4 times but instead it just continued with even more exiting and innovated things that I never have seen before. I can tell you this: if you thought Inception was something innovating and spectacular, go and watch Interstellar, you won't regret it! Some people think the last act of the film is less impressive, but I don't agree, it's fantastic! The structure of Interstellar is in my opinion very similar with The Prestige, maybe not as excessive but I totally love it! It's so clear that this is a film by Christopher Nolan, just the visuals are incredible and I was so amazed while watching it. It even looks more real than the film Gravity, and the first 30 minutes of Interstellar is totally superior than Gravity. I couldn't even see if there are CGI in this film, and that there's no 3D is a great thing!

There are some minor flaws in the film, and the first thing is the soundtrack. Yes it's from the famous composer Hans Zimmer, and I love his previous works like the music in The Dark Knight Trilogy and in the film Inception. But it's not exactly as massive and touching as I thought it would be. It's still impressive, but not as vast or touching. Another thing is the first act of the film; it felt like they had cut too much scenes, because it felt a bit to fast. There could also have been a bit more action. The last aspect is the trailer, it doesn't spoil much about the film, but I think they should have shown less of the visuals. It could have resulted in even more surprising things with the film.

This is the best film from Christopher Nolan to date, but it's not a perfect film. Even though, I don't think we need to wait that long until he creates something even more spectacular than Interstellar.

Interstellar get a 9.5/10
  9. Nov 5, 2014
    In my opinion, Interstellar certainly lives up to the hype. Words simply can't describe the experience I had while watching this movie unfold before my eyes in that glorious 70 MM Imax format. The visuals were jaw dropping, acting was superb, and the story was filled with originality and hand full of surprises along the way. There is so much to this movie you don't know about when you go into seeing it for the first time, which was a huge plus! The less you know about the story for this movie, the better. While there are a lot of positives for this movie, my only complaint would have to be the pacing of the story. There were a couple instances where I felt like the story was being rushed and that I had to just go along with what was going on at those points. Despite the movie being almost three hours long, I kinda wish it could be a little longer so that the story could progress more naturally. Other than that, I have no other negatives to mention. I walked out of the theater feeling satisfied and wanting to experience it again! And probably will! Expand
  10. Nov 6, 2014
    I am not a Nolanite. Maybe I'm an anti-Nolanite. I have nothing but contempt for movies about comic book superheroes. I hated Inception. I went into this movie with enough baggage to get me thrown off a plane.

It was superb. It was mind-blowing. I'm old. I saw 2001 when it originally came out, when everybody who saw it, came out saying "WTF?" Then, people discovered watching 2001 while
    high - and everything fell into place!

During the (controversial) 3rd act, I was back in 2001 (and wondering where I left my bong years before..). I didn't really need to heighten the sensation though, Nolan bombarded the audience with son et lumieres and McConaughey bombarded the audience with the most beautifully wrought portrayal of abject desperation and unconditional love I've ever seen on screen.

It broke my heart and I'm cynical as hell. The screenplay was serviceable, the dialogue was atrocious (this is Nolan after all), but it didn't matter. The visuals made Gravity look like it was filmed on an IPhone. The performances? Even Anne Hathaway was fine. Jessica Chastain and Mackenzie Foy, I shall forever revere. But McConaughey? Good God, this man is working on a level unknown to other actors. Absolutely electrifying. Not the Oscar bait that the Academy usually rewards, I think a Nobel Prize is in order.

I never suspected a film would come along this year that could threaten my beloved Boyhood's hold on my heart, yet Interstellar comes perilously close.
  11. Nov 5, 2014
    Not a film about science as we commonly understand it. In fact, Interstellar works hard to convince you to see science in unimagined ways and this (that most critics are using as a reason why the film fails) is its strongest asset. A film with incredible imagination, Interstellar weaves reductive iterations of themes like exploration, love and time together so cohesively that the audience is challenged to see them each with new wonder.

Anne Hathaway is given one of her most complex roles to date and her work here is both efficient and subtle. Technically, the editing, cinematography and score all work hard to bring the ideas of the story to new heights.
  12. Nov 5, 2014
    this is other masterpiece movie from Mr.Nolan. the visualy are very stunning and it hase an emotional aspect. Well done Nolan!!! i was blown away for the second time and i will go tomorrow for the thirth time to enjoy his movie in Imax format, because that is the only experience that you can see it in the cinema.
  13. Nov 5, 2014
    An absolute visual feast, Interstellar delivers on its promises, and it actually - believe it or not - has a more satisfying ending than 2001. Not that the story is superior to Kubrick's classic, but there's a heart to it that I did not expect. I enjoyed the science - it does not talk down to its audience, and I can say I learned a few things. I especially enjoyed the robots with their matter-of-fact voices/affect. Though they don't have a human appearance - they initially appear super clunky (until you come to realize what they're capable of) - you instantly feel comfortable with them, which I credit in great part to the incredible voice acting of Bill Irwin. The father-daughter story is touching - both the young actress and Chastain are tremendous. McConaughey, if you've seen him in True Detective, does not disappoint. Expand
  14. Nov 5, 2014
    It started off well, the performances are all great, the visuals are stunning, Hans Zimmer delivers once again and Nolan directs masterfully but the problem is the screenplay. It's clear that Nolan wanted to make a meditative experience of sorts but the problem is the transitions are not even remotely fluid. It feels as though interstellar is 2 incompatible stories forced into one. It's oil in water. Parts of it are incredibly rushed. The motivations of characters don't bloom fully and a lot of the plot just doesn't add up. Just as with Inception, Nolan removed the magic and mystery of space-travel by overly dwelling in technicalities. His characters obsessively and forcefully explain every idea and ideology to one another so thoroughly that the novelty quickly wears off. Interstellar is in many ways a flawed mess but it's also artistic in someways. Filmed as a blockbuster and structured as an art-house movie, Interstellar may leave one feeling completely indifferent or inherently moved. Sadly I'm among those who felt it was contrived, unfocussed and eventually self-defeating. Expand
  15. Nov 8, 2014
    3 Of Us Fell Asleep, 6 Of Us - Out Of 7 - Hated It! That's the score from a group of 7 friends who went to see Interstellar tonight. If I hadn't been with friends I would have walked out!

The only friend who liked it said she enjoys soap operas. That pretty much sums it up! IF YOU LIKE SOAP OPERAS YOU WILL LOVE INTERSTELLAR!

There are so many plot holes several of us were cracking
    jokes by the end of the movie. So many parts of Interstellar are so ridiculous or makes no sense -whatsoever- it borders on camp. Sure the cinematography is magnificent. But in the end it's nothing but pretty wallpaper when the story is drawn out, tedious, annoying, maudlin, nonsensical, irrelevant, dopey and depressing. (I heard way too many violins in the soundtrack! LOL!)

All I can say is when the only food humanity has left to eat is corn & corn products, then you are going to end up with a very corny movie!
  16. Nov 8, 2014
    I don’t know at what point I stopped caring about the main characters in “Interstellar” but it must have been upon losing all interest as to whether they ’make it’ or don’t. Or it may have been at the one point a crew member is lost and the reaction was, “So what?”

The film is long, at 169 minutes, with a lot of forgettable science verbiage that is forgotten by most of the audience
    before the credits start running. Will even the science nerds in the audience remember the dialogue regarding the black hole or the worm hole? Isn’t it enough to say that one hour in space will equal 7 hours on earth without getting into quantum theories? I’d rather hear how Anne Hathaway’s hair stays so sculptured after having a space helmet on for a flight, walking in water and on ice plus the gravity experienced, which is talked about but doesn’t seem to affect hairdos!

Director Christopher Nolan and co-writer of the script with his brother Jonathan, seem to know what they want to say when dealing with family relationships but when the abruptly take off space they seem to get lost. “Gravity” set the bar high for filming in space and spaceships and “Interstellar” comes nowhere near those scenes and feelings. The Nolans, along with the Director of Photography Hoyte van Hoytema, get the feel, sights and sounds of earth drying up and the possibility of the end of earth is made believable as are the various family relations, but once the movie blasts off to space everything comes to a halt except for a robot that seems more livelier than the humans.

The cast do what they can with what they got but Matthew McConaughey as Cooper, former test pilot who is brought back to lead this mission to find a place that the humans on earth can move to before they die, is fine in the father and daughter scenes but does not bring much to the hero aspect of the film. Oh, and a side note, he does need to put on some of the weight he lost for “Dallas Buyers Club”. Anne Hathaway has a thankless part while Michael Caine as her father gets to repeat Dylan Thomas”s poem “Do not go gentle into that good night” a few times. Murph, Cooper’s daughter, is played by 3 actresses and as the 10 year old Mackenzie Foy is a stand out while Jessica Chastain as Murph in her 30s has nothing to do but being angry.

David Gyasi and Wes Bently as the crew working with McConaughey and Hathaway, along with computerized robot voiced by Bill Irwin, are more than adequate. They are 3 other actors, not to be named, in the film so as not to provide spoilers. Also Casey Affleck, as Murph’s brother, in an underwritten role does what he can with it.

Ah yes I must give credit to Hans Zimmer for the too often loud music, signifying nothing, for keeping me awake in the last hour of “Interstellar”.
  17. Nov 6, 2014
    The best sci-fi movie for 2014. It has a mixture of human psychology, drama, sci-fi and actions. I felt the movie was a bit short even if it's almost 3 hours long, extra 15 minutes would do. Good ending and it worth my time in the big screen.
  18. Nov 5, 2014
    Unlike his usual blockbuster style, Nolan has challenged both himself and the audiences a greater depth in this stunning space opera creatively. Slightly clinched and flawed in term of plot wise, this pure hard science fiction that stresses a lot on Quantum theories, space elements, astrophysics, time, gravity and the rushing, complex and slightly illogical third act might squeeze one's mind in this heavy 3 hours mission, but the worthy and meaningful dialogues, enormous expansion from the universe in Gravity, strong and connecting relationship between father and daughter have overall made the film entertaining, thrilling and thought-provoking. Hans Zimmer follows the director's effort in terms of scoring, which the musics sound more emotional, calm and creepy rather than the usual loud and powerful style; award-winning cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema did perfect job to present stunning, immersive and state-of-the-art visual effects of the space, wormholes, black hole and unknown planets beyond our galaxy. It might not be the most epic and perfect film, but this love letter from Nolan which is heavily inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey, sending through the time and gravity somehow represents a rare film that begins and ends so beautifully and stellar. Expand
  19. Nov 6, 2014
    What I like about Interstellar is that while it has your classic sciency space travel elements, unlike other space-themed movies it does not put this element at its center. It's core rather, is something much deeper - a story of a father and his daughter and their struggles of being apart. Space just happens to be one of the perfect themes for this idea and as a result, the movie is told well. I highly recommend it, as it is in no way "just another space movie". Expand
  20. AH2
    Nov 8, 2014
    Interstellar is a "serious" (sic) candidate for WORST movie ever made. I am serious and I am here to SAVE you from wasting your time or money. The acting is RIDICULOUS. The dialogue is RIDICULOUS. The story is RIDICULOUS. The sets are RIDICULOUS. The premise is RIDICULOUS. The script is RIDICULOUS The science is RIDICULOUS. The directing is RIDICULOUS. The amount of money spent making it is RIDICULOUS. The whole damn thing is RIDICULOUS. One last thing it is so so boring ! Expand
  21. Nov 10, 2014
    My first review for Metacritic. inspired to join to record my disappointment with this film. And I wasn't the only one. People were leaving to go to loo thoughout the film, often a bad sign. I honestly thought the film was 4 hours long. Long scenes of boring dialogue. Like other reviewers, I found it astonishing that one astronought would have to explain to another what a worm hole was. And the robot was so unweildly. We conveniently skipped how it got in and out of the spacecraft. I love a good space movie. But give me Moon, Gravity or Apollo 13 any day. Expand
  22. Nov 8, 2014
    A surprisingly underwhelming offering sorely in need of judicious editing, better writing and a clearer focus. Despite capable performances by Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain, as well as an emotive score and terrific sound, the picture suffers from largely mediocre special effects, uneven pacing, underdeveloped characters, bland supporting performances and a choppy, bloated script. When telling a tale that aspires to epic heights, the worst offense a director can commit is to make the story boring, which is precisely what has happened here. Don't believe the hype; this release is far from what it could and should have been. Expand
  23. Nov 5, 2014
    This was an excellent film with huge ideas and a lot of heart - it is definitely a must see. The acting is phenomenal and the story is gripping and incredibly interesting. The effects were amazing as everybody was expecting. It will definitely be divisive but I applaud Nolan for the originality and gall of the film. In a time where we have ~29 superhero movies planned to release in the next 6 years, we need more visionary people pushing the limits and giving us original screenplays and fresh ideas that not only entertain, but stimulate critical thinking.

This is exactly what interstellar did, for me at least. Not once did I find myself bored, I felt as though I actually experienced the journey with the characters and could even share their emotions from time to time. This is what movies are about for me. As I watched, I forgot about my own troubles and cares and embarked on an incredible journey with an amazing cast and a story that causes you to wonder what the future has in store for us, and what really is potentially out there in our infinite universe.

Interstellar is not without flaws, but it is definitely a movie that deserves to be seen and contemplated. The score by Hans Zimmer is amazing and truly adds to the experience. Don't rely on other people's opinions or form an opinion based on others thoughts before seeing it. Just go see it, and enjoy the bold and spectacular journey it is!
  24. Nov 5, 2014
    Interstellar is a full experimental work of dazzling visual and thematic ambition. An epic futuristic adventure driven by pain, fear and regret. Nolan gives us a magnificent, dark, romantic, ambitious and risky clever piece. It is huge and covers not enough to see it once. Nolan takes us to the edge of the universe but reflecting on everything that makes us human. An intense space opera that dazzles and thrills. Nolan has done it again. Expand
  25. Nov 5, 2014
    Thanks Nolan for giving a movie which will make you feel and keeps you puzzled in an Enchanted way.How much ever the critic or the people may criticize but one thing that everybody should understand that this movie has contributed a lot of things abut space and would have definitely ignited many minds all over the world
  26. Nov 5, 2014
    Christopher Nolan has once again proved that he is one of the most important filmmakers of his generation. Interstellar is not just another space flick with impressive visuals. It tackles the most important issue we are currently facing on our planet, namely our very survival in the face of overpopulation and unsustainable living, and the crucial need to overcome our natural instincts in order to evolve as a species.

The fact that movie critics and the audience will compare Interstellar with Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece is a testament to the epic scope of the film. However, Nolan’s latest creation is less surreal and more focused on the future of mankind. Rather than abstractly dealing with our origins and place in the universe and assuming that Earth will be our base for reaching to the stars, Interstellar deals with the harsh realities of an increasingly hostile planet, our short-sighted way of life, our natural instinct of individual survival and how it now poses a threat to our survival as a species and, not least of all, the very unromantic, brutal nature of space travel and relativity.

At the same time, unlike 2001, it is not a purely intellectual film. It does not distance itself from human emotion, attempting to strike a balance between its grand scope and the feelings and failings of its characters. Whether it succeeds or not in this balancing act is something people will disagree upon, and it is probably the element that will make or break the film for you. As far as I am concerned, Nolan’s Interstellar is a triumph against the seemingly impossible odds which he faced in this undertaking.
  27. Nov 5, 2014
    The Best Movie of the Year, clever story, good casting, perfect visual effects. No more words. Everybody, who likes good & clever stories, must watch this movie.
  28. Nov 13, 2014
    Oh my god this movie is so boring, and there is no engagement with the characters at all. You really just don't care about any of them.
    The 'twist' if you can call it that is absolutely totally predictable, I didn't even want to try and guess, but it was just obvious, and the ending... well, if you think for more than five seconds you start thinking the rest of the movie was more or less
    a total nonsense and wasted effort for all the characters.
    But the biggest disappointment, it really doesn't look that special. Obviously I can say that there is some flying through space going on without it being a spoiler, but for me the animations in the new Elite game and certainly Gravity last year were miles more visually engaging. Whatever you do, do not expect a thriller, any real action, logic, or coherent plot. The inevitable bad guy... well his logic for being so naughty... rubbish. If the robot doesn't make you think that robot designers have all lost their minds in the future... I think the vending machine at work would be more dextrous... they make Tweeky look like an olympic gymnast. Last point, I missed tons of key dialogue, as it suffers from 'Bane muffle' you know the way in the last Batman movie Bane would be waffling out his rubbish one-liners and you wouldn't be sure what he had actually said? Well... plenty of that here.
  29. Nov 8, 2014
    Here we go again reviewing yet another failed giant which clocks in at a butt numbing 169 minutes. It's an ambitious but flawed venture that is big in concept, big in budget and explores big themes. Sadly what this all adds up to is a big disappointment. The story, full of as many holes as there are black ones in space, is a mish mash of ideas which never really gel and one never quite gets a hold of what the point of it all is. The actors don't offer much by way of compensation either. Anne Hathaway shouldering the worst of the dialogue is the biggest casualty here, but Michael Caine is also tiresome as is Matt Damon who adds nothing. Matthew McConnaughey is better, but whatever emotion or empathy the film generates, and there are some very moving moments, are purely due to the wonderful Jessica Chastain. The film's biggest asset is her performance, although it's good to see film legend Ellen Burstyn showing all the others how it's done in just one tiny scene.

The banal dialogue is often gibberish and causes the rolling of one's eyes in disbelief or embarrassment. Nearly all scenes are over extended and often one is inclined to tune out long before they are finished. The special effects are good, but aside from a couple of sequences (a huge wave and the final set piece involving McConnaughey and Chastain),there really isn't much that we haven't seen before. The music comes on strong and sounds like an extended version of Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' from 1973's 'The Exorcist', co incidentally starring Burstyn in one of her finest roles.

The sound is very loud and effective during the set pieces, but is then often inaudible during simple dialogue exchanges between characters. I have no idea what Anne Hathaway was mumbling at the end in so pained a manner.
    There are some marvellous compositions of the outside of the spacecraft filmed in complete silence, which are then judiciously cut with the sound included inside the ship. More of this and less dialogue would have been appreciated all round. Another gimmick that serves little purpose was the almost inevitable inclusion of the robot TARS. I would have recommended the removal of his power pack.

Director Christopher Nolan is certainly full of ideas but, unfortunately, they are never fully realised. He comes over like a young boy trying to communicate a passion or a hobby that no one else gets. His direction is over indulgent and left me confused and bored. Perhaps after two dramatic failures (Inception was very similar in style, but an even worse film!) he should try his hand at comedy. After all laughter in a cinema in infinitely preferable to sleeping.
  30. Nov 6, 2014
    GRIPPING SCI FI MOVIE WITH TECHNOLOGY AND STUFF !!

Yes, the movie is almost 3 hours long, and by the end of the movie you are glad it was and you actually wish there was more. In addition to the amazing visuals and the compelling story there are a few nice twists and turns throughout the movie that have you gripping your seat. Matthew McConaughey does an amazing job of carrying the
    movie as the lead, his performance is exceptional. Amazing acting, and a few tear jerking moments...very convincing stuff McChonaughey pulls off the loving father and astronaut with ease. Much better then umm "cof gravity". Highly recommend watching in IMAX 70mm version to create the full immersion experience. So, the story moves along at a good pace and keeps the audience glued to the screen, at the end of our screening there was almost a full standing ovation when the movie finished in a packed theater. Applause, applause and more applause . . . alright, alright, alright !! Expand
  31. Nov 6, 2014
    Instead of getting scared during horror films, I've been cursed by being very tense with suspenseful movies. I don't think my back quite unstiffened yet. But suspense is only half of the movie's charm. The second half is the drama, very well conveyed by the impressive cast, especially Mr. McConaughey. Don't let the length turn you off, you're either gripping your seat or bawling your eyes out during the whole movie. It's a pretty heavy movie so be prepared to have your mood offset for at least an hour after viewing. Expand
  32. Nov 6, 2014
    Even it accepts many things from former SF. it still inspiring, astonishing and entertaining. It deserve to be the movie of 2014 and the milestong of SF history.
  33. Nov 21, 2014
    Nolan did it again !!! Through this masterpiece cinema and his vision we got a glimpse of near future interstellar travel and experienced the power of love and need for sacrifice that mankind has to make to survive its own extinction.Truly it was an amazing mind-bending and thought provoking experience.
  34. Nov 12, 2014
    Hollywood, we have a serious problem!

Ridley Scott is down (Prometheus and Counselor being 2 of the hottest contenders for worst movie ever). And now Christopher Nolan is down as well. "Interstellar" is an intergalactic disaster. It features the cheesiest plot in the history of Blockbusters (which really says a lot!), abysmal acting which will make you cringe and bigger plot holes than
    Jupiter. Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, in this pretentious piece of &$%§ makes any sense at all.

And it's soooooo booooooooooring and loooooooooooooong - an unbearable, torturous 2hours and 49 minutes of your life wasted.

Don't fall for the hype and all the positive reviews here. They are bought or written by the studio itself. It is simply impossible that anybody on earth with an IQ above freezing level would rate this movie higher than 3.

After the total failure of Scott and Nolan - previously my favourite directors - now all hopes rest on David Fincher ...
  35. Nov 6, 2014
    Great movie, great story, superb acting and overall a must-see.
    Story followed a different path than most other sci-fi movies. Original story is a welcome feature.
    See it in IMAX - it's worth it for the visuals.
    I'll probably see this 2 or 3 times before it leaves theaters. Nolan does it again!
    Reminded me of a cross between Gravity, 2001: A Space Odyssey (space peril and action
    sequences), Inception (twists and levels), and 12 Monkeys (a bit of time-travel).
    In summary, see if you like sci-fi, see if you like Nolan's other films, see if you like original stories and space epics. Go see it man, it was great!
  36. Nov 5, 2014
    What an Incredible and Emotional film. INTERSTELLAR paints a beautiful picture of humanity while striving to be even more. Led by incredible performances from McConaughey and Chastain in particular, and complemented by the incredible writing and direction, INTERSTELLAR stands out as the best of the year. (so far)
  37. Nov 7, 2014
    Wow! Just wow! Uhhhmaazing!!

Left the theater feeling awed and mind blown by this incredible journey that Christopher Nolan took my head trip on! The feelings and emotions i felt in this film were grand!! What a ride!! Acting, cinematography, score, sound editing, and directing was top notch! I immediately placed this film in my top 10 of all time just after finishing my first viewing.
    It was that good!

But just like a lot of the critics... I too started thinking about all the plot holes and how all this could of really let up to its mind bending conclusion. I too was thinking... This was so close to being Nolan's masterpiece... If it wasn't for such a convuloted plot!

But while watching the movie, i just accepted everything in the moment because Nolan filmed the pacing beatifully and everything seemed to flow just right. I was never bored during this 3 hour movie... Every scene was engaging from minute to end. That being said... I still did have those questions to potential plot holes in the film. But even despite those flaws the movie was that amazing!

I know a film is even better for myself when i start questioning and thinking about the movie hours after i get home... And wanting to immediately watch it again a 2nd time to piece together anything that i may have missed. I believe the last movie that absorbed my thoughts that deeply after viewing was inception... AndWaduyuhknow.. Another nolan epic.

Now i did have to go on google to learn more about quantum mechanics, gravity/relativity, 4th and 5th dimensions, wormholes/blackholes... Because my knowledge was pretty limited in those fields prior to watching this film. And i do know that quantum physics and all the theories are exactly what they are... Theories. But the more i delve into this research, the more plausible this theory sounds backed upon scientific facts.

Now, even though researching all those topics, i still had those questions in the plot that still didnt make 100% sense to me and i feel what a lot of critics felt... That the movie was grand and epic even despite its flaws in the plot... So I tried to find my own interpretations to the plot holes. But with only 1 viewing and so much information given throughtout the movie, it was frustrating and I wished i could just go and watch it again a 2nd time.

But impatiently so.. i ended up finding a discussion forum on interstellar... Anndd ooh dammnn... After reading that discussion thread with everybodies different interpretations opened my eyes so much more to this movie.

Now when i watch it a 2nd time im convinced everything will fall into pieces perfectly based on all the different interpretations that others have received from the movie.

And thats exactly what makes Nolan stand apart from the other great directors like scorcese, spielberg, cameron, howard, etc... All these other directors are amazing because they weave the plot so tightly that you understand the movie in one sitting for the most part. But Nolan, oooh man... With memento, inception, the dark knoght trilogy(moreso memento and inception)... Really makes you think and glue together the missing pieces in the plot to your own interpretation, and will require at least 2 or more viewings to understand it all soundly.. and when you do... The movie becomes more personal for yourself and that much more grand and epic!

Now having said that... And after a night of digging and exploring the movie, themes, different interpretations, and field of quantum mechanics... This may very well be Nolan's masterpiece. Right up there with memento and the dark knight. But to me.. the themes that interstellar touches... Have spoken to me the most out of his other two masterpieces.

My initial reaction immediately after watching interstellar vaulted the movie into my top 10 of all time just from its sheer scope, brilliant acting, and pacing. But after a night of exploring deeper, this may very well be the best... And im sure after my 2nd viewing... It just may be... The greatest of all time.

Christopher Nolan's Masterpiece!
  38. Nov 6, 2014
    Фильм просто великолепен! Недавно вернулся из кинотеатра - это шедевр однозначно, 10 из 10. Несмотря на почти 3 часа времени не было ни одной скучной минуты. Очень порадовал Мет Деймон который неожиданно появился. Также нельзя не отметить великолепную музыку - она очень хорошо передает настроение фильма. Рекомендовано к просмотру на 100%!
  39. Nov 8, 2014
    First off, the sound effects overwhelm the dialog a lot. No idea what the characters on the screen were saying a number of times. I have to assume the director decided what they were saying wasn't that important and went for making you feel just like you were there. Which is did a few times because I saw it in a theater with some pretty good sound equipment. McConaughey's excessive perma-tan was distracting too especially contrasted to Hathaway. Not sure HOW he maintained that tan after being on a space mission for years (yeah I get the relativistic time dilation but they were awake, in a ship in space for months according to what the dialog showed). Also not sure why they needed to launch from Earth in a huge multi-stage rocket to get the exact same landing craft up to the rest of the ship that they were later able to use to cruise around and take off from under its own power on a planet with 1.3 Earth gravities.

I felt a bit ripped off that you don't see much of the space ship until long after the launch, no outside shots, just the boosters dropping away shots that we've all seen 1,000 times. Then when you do see it, there's nothing notable about the ships looks. Just kind of ho-hum. They obviously spend the budget on the sound effects and score, which were pretty good.

There's a lot of excessive spinning scenes on the screen to make you dizzy. There was one long sequence near the end of the show that I felt went on a bit longer than it needed.

The plot was ok, premise was ok, dialog (what you could hear of it) was ok except for the mantra they kept repeating over and over (guess that's a mantra's definition), visuals... I don't know, I just wasn't impressed by them, I saw it on a huge special screen but just never had any "oooh! That's cool!" kind of moments. Maybe I've just seen too many science fiction movies and have become desensitized. Just seemed like there should be some memorable scenes visually at some point in the movie.

I'd still say give it a shot, you might enjoy it more than I did. I'd probably not spend the extra bucks to see it in the big special theater screens. Wasn't worth $15 for what you didn't get, unless you're really into movie audio, then you're going to love it. It did do it's job and entertain me for a few hours.
  40. Nov 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How many roads must a man walk down...to see so much corn? This is a rough and tumble, big chunk of a film that I really wanted to love: such potential. And to a great degree it is lovable work despite some of the miserable dialogue, miscasting and simple mumbled silly confusion that it is. Nolan does not equal Kubrick. Really, you have to want to love it - and I do not want to discourage anyone from going to see it because there are some true hidden gems. But the true potential was not reached, not even with help of a wormhole, a black hole, the talented Mr. Ripley or all the magic of the 5th dimension. If love is the answer, you have to go through a heck of a lot of corn to find it. SOS...if you listen clearly I am sending you a coded message from another dimension. Save 3 hours of your life - or we can assume that this is also relative. Good luck, safe travels and don't forget to set a wake-up from the big nap on the way to Saturn. Expand
  41. Nov 14, 2014
    I have to admit right off the top, I love movies that entertain, make you think, feed you stuff that expands your awareness and generally stimulates much that has not before been stimulated.
    Interstellar does this in spades. Its premise, storyline and unfolding plot is a masterpiece of scripting. The effects, locations and visual impact kept me so riveted I even felt I could have sat and
    watched another hour! So much so for the regular 120 min. average.
    Having been brought up on 2001 a comparable intensely moving film, I can safely say this work by Chris and Jonathan Nolan raises the bar again. Helped by the IMAX viewing, which I would seriously question anyone's sanity who found that lacking, it takes us on a journey as much inner as outer, It hints and specifies the true nature of who we really are and can become, over and above the potential for science to help us on our way.
    I can understand some reviewers "not getting it". This may well be because in order to get it one needs to let go of so much junk learned and stored. As is said in the film, and this is no spoiler, you have to let go of something, sometimes a lot, in order to move forward to see the future potential and answer. True now, true then and true always.
    Nolan has created a masterpiece with the help of a production line up of actors and pre/post that can only make the viewer marvel at the gift playing in from of him/her.
    I have nothing but the most profound respect and admiration for this work and the memories and gifts to chew over for years to come. 10 star galactic!
  42. Nov 5, 2014
    I came into the theatre expecting a great movie, similar to Nolan's other films, and that's what I got, sans a compelling story. The acting, cinematography, and CGI was great, but the story could have been more interesting. It had the themes like Inception, but it was not as interesting as I would have liked. However, it was still a great movie and, while not one of Nolan's best, is still worth seeing at the cinema. Expand
  43. Nov 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When ever a director makes some good independent movies they give him unlimited funds to make whatever he wants. Nolan has reached that point where they would green light pretentious junk that he writes. Over long at 169 min should lose the studio a large chunk of change. Expand
  44. Nov 7, 2014
    "Interstellar" is a good SciFi Film but has couple of problems. First off it really drag in the beginning and the relationship between father and daughter could have been a little better. Secondly, the story needed more cohesiveness and at some point it was just indulgent. The key lesson learned in this film is that "Time is just Relative" and the one thing that suppress or pass space is "Love." Which I, and everyone else in the auditorium, gasped for air. Lovely. The movie needed more explanation and I couldn't bypass how one thing leads to the other. What really made the movie good is the stunning visuals and soundtrack though "Gravity" was more masterful and complex. On a good note, Christopher Nolan is still a fantastic Director, Producer and Writer. Expand
  45. Nov 6, 2014
    I havn't been this blown away by a movie since The Dark Knight Rises, the prvious film by master Christopher Nolan. I must say I was a little concerned after seeing the mixed reviews, but I did not need to be. This movie is absolutely fantastic. I heard criticism that it's too confusing and won't be accessable to a wider audience. I'm certainly no genius and I was never confused by the science talk. If I was to criticize the film I will say that it is does get a bit convoluted, and if it ended about ten minutes earlier it would of flowed a little more. That's all the negatives. This film is absolutely stunning, unique, original, mesmerizing, and absolutely awe-inspiring. This film will absolutely go down along side 2001 and Blade Runner as one of the great science fiction films. Oh and Tars and Case are freaking awesome. Not to spoil anything but there are sequences in this film that rival the Stargate sequence in 2001 as some of the greatest scenes in science fiction, if not film in general. Expand
  46. Nov 9, 2014
    There was a movie named "Contact" which pretended to be a science fiction movie, until its fantasy/religious ending when the protagonist goes to heaven, says something about how poetry is more important than science and meets her dead father. Very much like "Interstellar". If that's your idea of a SF movie, go ahead. I actually hated it. Don't be fooled by Christopher Nolan's previous work - it's his worst film ever - or by the name of the physicist Kip Thorne in the credits ("Contact" was also based on his - and Carl Sagan's - work, and see what happened). Some examples of the movie's "physics": A) scientists send a robot into a black hole so it can send data back to them from BEYOND the event horizon, B) planets orbiting a dark black hole (and nothing else) are illuminated by sunlight (!), C) the gravitational pull of the black hole rips everything apart, except the astronaut's body (magic!). More importantly, the reason why all humans must leave the Earth? Well, there are dust storms like in the 1930s in the middle of the USA, and some particular crops are affected by diseases. And that's pretty much it. Expand
  47. Nov 7, 2014
    Interstellar was ahead of its time, 20 years from now people will look back at this film and call it a "Masterpiece", Every thing from the writing to the acting was just perfect... The Visual Effects and Cinematography was "Breathtaking".
  48. Nov 10, 2014
    Star trek meets Titanic ?
    Pretty ugly in all respects; trivial dialog, minimal sp effects, unconvincing arguments, and action that is. at times hard to follow or figure out. at the end of the day ------- who cares ? The big fiasco of this year - after paying $ 40 for Imax tickets and the ? is Why ? As big a blunder as I think it is - too bad really , as it did have such
    potential. If they had mixed Hubble photos in and explained the mission in terms of real engineering and astronomy - it could have been an amazing experience. Really too bad ... Expand
  49. Nov 9, 2014
    I went to a long journey last night. I visited several faraway and uncanny places which most of people can’t even have imagination of them. I put my steps on the grounds which the mankind never touch them before. In confrontation of such a huge bulk of love, greatness and wisdom I was feeling tiny and helpless. I got lost desperately in different dimensions of time and space so that I forgot to breath. I got closer to God and I met my own spirit. I saw Interstellar last night…. Expand
  50. Nov 8, 2014
    This movie is one of the best trips ive ever taken in a movie. Its so amazing in every aspect. The movie is long but seemed not long at ALL. This is a must see in theaters
  51. Nov 8, 2014
    Nolan has done it again. While the critics were saying that Interstellar is too sentimental, they actually got the wrong idea. Nolan may be emulating Kubrick's attention to detail here, but he is essentially making a Spielberg film. That sense of awe: check. Gooey sentimentality: check. I can't say anymore of the plot, but suffice to say: the visuals are breathtaking, the acting stupendous. It's not perfect: the dialogue is filled with a lot of exposition. But heck, still one of the best film of 2014. Bring your tissues folks. It's a tearjerker. Expand
  52. euu
    Nov 8, 2014
    This is the most stupid sci-fi movie since Prometheus at least and definately Chris Nolan's worst movie so far. I had very high expectations from this movie considering all the talented people involved in it's production and thought that I would get to watch a film that asks some interesting questions and delves ito complex ideas, instead what I got was just another story about how love beats reason and science. Which in the hands of a more subtle director wouldn't have been so bad, but Nolan tends to make every character explain how he/she feels instead of just showing it. 90% of this movie is just expozition or characters holding speeches about how they feel which makes it very hard to relate to any of them. But the good visuals and great music makes this whole mess pretty tollerable. Until the last 20 minutes at least. You really need to see to believe the black hole of stupidity that is the climax of this movie. Those were the most nonsensical 20 minutes I saw in recent memory. All logic and reason is tossed aside to make some lame speech about the power of love. I don't know what mind altering substances Nolan consumed when he wrote that ending but it sure as hell it didn't fell like something the guy who wrote Inception and The Dark Knight would come up with. All in all: if you are someone who just want to watch a smart sci-fi movie or even a good film in general avoid this pretentious mess. Expand
  53. Nov 14, 2014
    I loved the movie. I don't understand how it is hard to follow and or the negativity of this film. It is a must watch. Who ever was responsible in the audio department should be fired because sometimes you couldn't here the actors clearly. I'm sure that will be cleared up when it comes out on DVD.
  54. Nov 7, 2014
    Incredibly disappointing, but still gets props for some uniqueness and originality here and there. Ruined by a bunch of "love > science" bullcrap.

The people who like this movie know 0 - absolutely nothing - about physics and are clearly oblivious to real human behavior and massive plotholes. MASSIVE PLOTHOLES staring you right in the face as you are watching - not ones you realize
    afterwards.

Visuals are decent, but sound design is some of the best ever. The score is alright, thankfully less "cheesy epic" than Zimmer's usuals.
  55. Nov 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quantas questões temos aqui?
    Por: Gustavo Talaini

Fascinante, Christopher Nolan construiu um novo clássico de “Science Fiction” que já pode ser comparado com 2001 uma odisseia no espaço de Stanley Kubrick (eu disse comparado). Interstellar explora teorias físicas, dimensões não conhecidas e os sentimentos e emoções dos seres humanos, Nolan faz sua obra mais emocional, mas ainda com tons sombrios e psicológicos, é um dos melhores filmes do ano.

O filme começa com Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) sonhando com seu passado como piloto de nave espacial da NASA e quando acorda relembra que a humanidade está para acabar, a praga atingiu os alimentos que agora estão em escassez, mas a pergunta logo no inicio é: Qual a solução para isso?

“Uma viagem Interstellar em busca de um substituto para o planeta Terra”. Murph (Mackenzie Foy) tem a certeza que um fantasma assombra sua casa. – “Fantasmas não existem – diz seu pai Cooper que é um fazendeiro e ex-engenheiro, mas Murph sabe que tem alguém se comunicando com ela através de códigos morse.

A intensidade do filme aumenta quando durante uma tempestade de poeira (o que era normal) Cooper vê a mensagem misteriosa deixada por tal fantasma assim descobrindo que aquilo na verdade era uma anomalia da gravidade, então através de coordenadas misteriosas deixadas pela anomalia (Em teoria tinha alguém mesmo se comunicando com Murph, o tal “ eles “ seres de outra parte do universo), Cooper descobre uma base secreta da NASA onde encontra Brand (Anne Hathaway), o professor Brand (Michael Caine) e um genial robô; Cooper tinha sido aluno do professor Brand então ele foi “convidado” para salvar o planeta Terra assim tendo que abandonar sua família por tempo indeterminado;Ele aceita.

Em meio a um roteiro espetacular escrito pelo próprio Nolan e seu irmão Jonathan tudo se destaca em Interstellar, a trilha sonora de Hans Zimmer, as grandes atuações do fantástico elenco, os cenários maravilhosos e efeitos especiais brilhantes, mas o principal é o formidável toque de Nolan.

A apresentação de complexas teorias físicas te deixam alienado e mexem com sua mente, os discursos sobre a abrangência do amor, o que ele pode significar para cada individuo são emocionantes (sim essa é uma das palavras que representam Interstellar: emoção); tempo é outra grande questão neste filme, para salvar a humanidade Cooper e sua equipe terão que ir até saturno onde se encontra um buraco de minhoca que os levará para outra galaxia com o objetivo de encontrar outro planeta habitável, o substituto da terra.

Dois anos se passam quando Cooper chega ao buraco de minhoca cujo tem um deslumbrante visual, é incrivel, porém ao chegarem ao primeiro planeta “selecionado”o tempo se alterou na Terra ou seja lá já se passaram 24 anos e Murph agora é interpretada por Jessica Chastain com uma excelente atuação assim como o resto do elenco ( sim tive que repetir isso)

São raros os filmes com três horas de duração que prendem tanta atenção assim, certamente Interstellar ganhará indicações dos Oscars, o tom de realismo de Nolan é imponente, quando se chega nos minutos finais a adrenalina se eleva por conta das reviravoltas (Matt Damon foi uma grande jogada aqui) e as grandes questões começam a ser explicadas de uma forma terrífica.

Resumindo seja você fã de ficção ou não, Interstellar é totalmente imperdível é o filme mais grandioso e ambicioso de Nolan.
  56. Nov 6, 2014
    A very well made, ambitious science fiction epic. Wormholes, black holes, gravity, space-time, relativity - lots of mind-twisting concepts woven into the storyline. In many ways, reminiscent of 2001. Well acted, but the acting is not the star attraction. It's the story, the effects, the visuals, the sound. See it in Imax if you can to really appreciate it. Every fan of science fiction will enjoy this one. Expand
  57. Nov 6, 2014
    I've been waiting for Interstellar for 1,5 years and today i've watched it. I won't say about its plot or music or cast or director's work. But it is a masterpiece, sure, the masterpiece that could be shot only by Christopher Nolan. Thank you for this movie, Chris. Now, i need to think about all.
  58. Nov 15, 2014
    Fantastic movie and fantastic experience. Interstellar is a space odyssey that centers on our future far beyond our home- Earth. Instead of bashing Nolan, people should be grateful there is still a famous director trying to create something more ambitious and intriguing than the films we watch every year.
  59. Nov 8, 2014
    Never before has Nolan made such a personal effort, and maybe never again? There`s so much soul in his description between father and child that it`s nearly heartbreaking and defiantly breathtaking. Combined with Hans Zimmer`s score and a complex, but brilliant script, the experience of Interstellar is far too good to miss, and the movie should stand as a winner at the academy awards.
  60. Nov 16, 2014
    Matthew mcconaughey fans are gonna go wild once they see " Interstellar " A film by Christopher Nolan. So far Gravity was the best sci fi film of the year now it's NOT so interstellar is the best movie of the year it has effects that are so realistic it's something that we have never seen before in the 21st century. It has a script that actually has actually best sci-fi action written by Johnathan Nolan & Christopher Nolan which is actually the best movie of the year also the century , Nolan has a new film and that is the star the perfect film of his career since ' Inception' , ' The Dark Knight trilogy'. So far Christopher nolan is the hero director with Dark Knight , he has enough courage to write a script that is actually brilliant is Succeed with Movie goers , people could learn from this in LIFE. the nolan brothers have chemistry and that chemistry became a dream come true. Grade A Expand
  61. Nov 13, 2014
    Rarely do I ever bother giving anything above 8, never mind a 10, but somehow, most of these critics seem to have missed one of the best pieces of sci-fi to have graced us not only for the past decade, but possibly since the 80s renaissance of sci-fi classics. Interstellar is quite simply a stunning spectacle, but also achieves an unprecedented amount of characterization for each individual character whilst also using them as a platform to scrutinize humanity's greatest flaws, but also its greatest strengths, something which lends this epic a broad emotional range as well as amazing shots of the cold, bleak and beautiful desolation of space and other worlds. These characters would have been nothing though without the great acting carried out by everyone, especially McConaughey, who has somehow gone from generic 2D 'pretty boy' rom-coms to bleak, apocalyptic sci epics with apparent ease, he manages to root the existential chaos of the barren future with very human roots, and lends a defiant optimism in a film which does bleak and despondent very well indeed.

The theme of survival is done exceptionally well, and whereas Inception was an ambitious mess which seemed to trumpet its importance without ever truly justifying it, the setting of unpredictable and chaotic space lends itself much more naturally to the confusion and awe which Nolan strives towards. The beginning is slow, but you begin to appreciate its purpose later on in the film as it straps you in metaphorically for the roller-coaster ride that is the journey itself. I will admit, I feel Nolan indulges a bit too much at the very very end in terms of falling to his Inception like weakness of overly abstract symbols, but he saves the brilliant coherence of the movie with a more thematically consistent ending.

Enter this movie with zero expectations, endure the first 20 minutes or so of painful nothingness, and then embrace the cosmic splendor that awaits. This movie feels like a terrific re-imagining of 2001 without becoming cliche.
  62. Nov 7, 2014
    Interstellar is one of the most highly anticipated films of this fall and it lives up to its hype. This film is destined to be a box office smash but its very potent as well. Everyone had high expectations for director Christopher Nolan, who is known for the Dark Night trilogy and Inception. I can honestly say he meets the expectations. The film is visually stunning and is full of an all star cast featuring the amazing Matthew McConaughey in the lead role. McConaughey is brilliant and although this film is not likely to win him an Oscar it is helping him establish himself as a true a list actor. Interstellar is a movie that will make you think but in the end it ties up all the lose ends. You will be wowed through the whole movie, despite a running time that reaches nearly three hours. Expand
  63. Nov 7, 2014
    Nolan did add another one of the masterpiece to Sci-fi coomunity again. Scientific accuracy for visualization of black hole and wormhole is undoubtedly realistic since there is an astrophysicist working as film assistant. Hard science had been poured into the film so much that it is hard for normal audience to really 100% understand the scientific theory behind the plot. Some of them were hiding in just few words like Quantum entanglement that the robot try to use to establish communication between inside and out side of the black hole.
    To summarize, this film really catch my eyes at first glance and finally grab my heart at last.
  64. Nov 7, 2014
    Fascinating and intriguing when the film isn't weird and hard to follow. The movie is great to look at and the cast is fantastic. But the film should have been more sci-fi and less about family and love.
  65. Nov 8, 2014
    This is for me the best movie of 2014 so far!, I really enjoyed it and i love it. i really recommend it. i don't want to spoil anything, but i just want to express myself about what i love of this movie and i love everything!
  66. Nov 9, 2014
    This movie is amazing and brilliant visuals. The plot is complex and you can find deep meaning. I can understand if you fell asleep but if you really watch the movie it can be way better.
  67. Nov 8, 2014
    I love science fiction movies as they are my favorite. I don't hate anyone. So it was with great anticipation that I looked forward to seeing Interstellar. After seeing the movie I didn't know whether to give it a 10 or a zero as I was that torn in two directions. So first the Pro's in that the visuals are simply breathtakingly stunning. You feel like a kid in a candy store taking in all the sights and sounds that NASA provided of space. So now for the cons. The movie is way too long, and in parts drags on unmercifully. The character development other than Cooper is sadly lacking. There are more plot holes than blackholes. Matt Damon is totally miscast and distracts from the actual movie. There is way too much technical "gobbily **** going on in which you need to be a rocket scientist to understand what the characters are discussing. It all gets boring very fast. Other than Cooper and his daughter Murph there is no other character you really care for; unless, of course the Robot is considered a person. LOL Anne Hathway, a terrific actor in her own right, is totally miscast. Michael Caine is totally underutilized. John Lithgow is wasted. When the movies draws to its illogical conclusion you feel as if saying OK I just wasted 3 hours of my life. The message is simple. As the Beatles once said ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE! Expand
  68. Nov 9, 2014
    Yes Interstellar is a stellar movie. Like Inception the film takes cool scientific concept and does some interesting things with it. The story is engaging and suspenseful even if you can predict it. The film is long but it allows you to feel the length of the journey and let the characters breath. The stand out is the presentation with the film being beautiful to look at and is a must see on the big screen and/or IMAX (definitely IMAX!). Its not as good as The Dark Knight or Inception. The film is a little too long (dragging a lot in the first hour), the ending reveal is a little predictable, and the film doesn’t make you think as much as the others. Honestly, though its still a really good film in what has been for Nolan a great track record. See this movie while its in theaters as this is one you don’t want to miss. Although turn up your hearing aids for the first hour or so because Matthew’s character has quieter whispers than Batman in the Dark Knight films. Expand
  69. Nov 16, 2014
    Through wormhole to an Exoplanet and falling into a black hole. Epicness at Its best. Nolan did the job again and proved himself. Awesome Story and Plot, direction is best, And the characters are amazing. Best sci fi movie in which everything is explained in so much detail. A must watch!
  70. Nov 7, 2014
    Another solid film from Christopher Nolan. As a big fan of space exploration I was more than pleased. Cinematography and visuals were breathtaking, capturing both the warmth and beauty of cosmos and also the cold nature of it. It surprised me with mind bending concepts, some of them I wasn't even expecting. Like wormholes, Nolan bent science of such concepts like Relativity, Multidimensional gateways, gravity and black holes themselves to the limit to suit his artistic vision which provides quite a spectacle.
    However, even if considered a masterpiece by some of you already, it is a flawed film. Once again we see a trend in movies to spit out as much exposition as possible in a form of dialogue, so that general public would follow the film. I get it, not everyone is as perceptive of visual ques that film fans would notice immediately, but the dialogue based exposition hurts the film and becomes a bit monotone on delivery even if the things characters are explaining are interesting. Surprisingly the film tries to convey some pretty important themes that hold the hole movie together, but sometimes outright fails because of lack of development, and this is almost 3 hours movie, so that's really strange indeed. Other than that characters were good for the most part, father-daughter story arch felt very emotional.
    Hans Zimmer's soundtrack was bit of a let down. Don't get me wrong, it sounded awe inspiring at times, but thematically speaking it felt very limited. Remember the teaser of the film and it's soundtrack? If you heard that, then you pretty much heard the whole album.
    The film is a jack in the box. Once you know the whole deal the first time it all comes to its place very nicely, but I do not believe I may find some little point I've missed that would change my interpretation of the film completely. Even with its mind bending concepts it's a very straight forward film.
    In conclusion it was a great film, but in good consciousness I cannot call it a flawless masterpiece. I do recommend it however as I'll probably return to the theater to enjoy the spectacle once more
  71. Nov 14, 2014
    Boring / Tedious " walk - Out" material

- Lacks plot, directing, editing/ /script/ sound;
    Michael Cane, MCconnely et all are wasted in this long,tedious mess.
    Absolute "Walk-Out " material
    Save your $$ of something worthwhile.
  72. Nov 15, 2014
    Nolan stretches the limits of cinema not just visually but intellectually. While the movie has obvious flaws, its sheer ambitiousness was exciting in of itself.
  73. Nov 16, 2014
    One of the best films of the year both in sci-Fi and emotional impact. Nolan takes his time to let you become connected to the characters while telling a great story.
  74. Nov 16, 2014
    An absolute masterpiece and quite easily the best film I've seen in 19 years of my life. Everything about it was just so incredibly epic and the detail to Scientific theory was beyond amazing. We often use the exaggerated saying of "jaw dropping", but for this film I can quote that literally.

First of all the acting was 10/10. Matthew McConaughey was the perfect man for this role and
    you could really feel his emotions throughout the movie. The connection with his daughter was also excellent and it really made you feel that father-daughter bond even when he was lightyears away in space.

The real aspect of the film which makes it a masterpiece in my book was the story with its twists and turns. This movie was made by the same makers of Inception and once again they nailed it. I won't give any spoiler away, but near the end when you begin to piece the puzzles together you will be in awe of its complexity and you soon realise just how well thought through this movie was. It's the type of movie where nobody would ever guess what's going to happen, and this is what sets it miles above other movies.

I must mention the soundtracks too. The music played throughout the film is what gave it such an incredible effect. Throughout 'epic' scenes it would become very loud with music, whilst at other times it would suddenly drop to silence and you could feel the emptiness of space as they ventured further. This film had the cinematic excellence of Gravity, but with a breathtaking story to go along with it.

Overall I can't recommend this film enough, just go and see it. Admittedly you will require some Scientific knowledge of space, relativity, and time, but the movie still does a good job to help you understand what's happening even if you're not a physicist.
  75. Nov 7, 2014
    Interstellar is visually one of the best movies ever.Its enthralling,intriguing and entertaining for the first half and then in the second half the movie loses its charm.It was still entertaining but I wasnt as pleased as I was for the first hour and 30 min mainly because of some narrative problems.The finale was the most WTF-ish one I've ever seen but it wasnt as rewarding as I expected or wanted it to be.It was ridiculous.Some may argue with me one this one.I get it.Chris Nolan tried to transcend the science and wanted to reach for a mind-blowing ending but when you think about what happens after Cooper's choice thats what makes it ludicrous.This is the reason I give this movie a 8/10 rating.It was fun,charming (even though not for its entire length),entertaining and really really beautiful but the climax is absurd and not rewarding. Expand
  76. Nov 11, 2014
    Interstellar was overwhelming upon first view. Of course I saw it in IMAX and I was still recovering on my drive home. I had questions I knew would require a second viewing. OMG it was so much more moving the 2nd time 4 days later. I won't pretend to understand the Bootstrap paradox. Nevertheless, spectacular!
  77. Nov 6, 2014
    Interstellar does boast some fantastic performances and stunning visual effects, but its choppy story line and disjointed plot leave a lot to be desired.
  78. Nov 12, 2014
    All critics claiming this movie isn't good, due to its complicated nature. Are saying more about their inability to understand as opposed to the quality of this movie. I cant remember a Sci-fi movie over the last few years that even came remotely close to this in terms of quality.
  79. Nov 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Perhaps we have forgotten that this movie is about father daughter relationship with interstellar voyage as a subplot. It was always about a Father who keeps his promise; it's about a daughter who had a faith in her father. Mathew gives the soul to his father character. Further, it cannot be concluded that Cooper is not concerned with his son. Tom is elder than Murph and he undertakes his father's responsibility with some maturity. On the other hand, Cooper is worried about his other kid, Murph, who is a curious kid... angry at her father. From the very first scene to the very end, it is about "keeping promises" and "keeping faith". It is evident in the end when Cooper returns as a 124 year old man, eager to meet Murph. As he enters the room, where Murph his lying, all other family members leave. There is neither focus on the family nor Cooper meets his family. Why? It's all about Cooper and Murph. Anne hathaway and Jessica Chastain were great. I pretty liked the Young Murph too. Matt Damon, you rocked. I did not see that coming.

About plot holes? I, actually, flunked in Physics. C'mon people? The script was great. It is just theories, which can be either right or wrong. Critics are hammering this movie, which I don't understand; Nolan enganged kip thorne, so it is clear that things were pretty logical and the project was given proper attention. Nolan is not a fool.

About Christopher Nolan? I am not qualified enough to review his direction. NOLAN IS GENIUS. IN NOLAN WE TRUST.
  80. Nov 5, 2014
    Didn't really like it. Too damn confusing. May need to watch it again but I'm tired of Nolan not explaining anything. Felt the same way about inception. I felt like you had to be a rocket space major to understand what was going on in the movie.
  81. Nov 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated sci-fi film Interstellar is definitely the most ambitious one the director has ever undertaken in terms of plot and vision. It's a film that will definitely transcend time and space and within the following decades will be dissected and analyzed as much as few other great and important films.

The performances are all top notch and even though it's hard to distinguish any of the actors, it's safe to say that Matthew McConaughey delivers a powerhouse performance (his best) and carries the film until the very end. He is Nolan's best lead so far for me. Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Matt Damon, Mackenzie Foy, Casey Affleck and Bill Irwin are only some of the actors who compile this tremendously talented ensemble cast. Especially Damon and Irwin are two very exciting surprises. Even Ellen Burstyn has a small but extremely effective part.

Plot-wise, even though Interstellar is as ambitious as people expect it to be, several moments feel a little rushed due to either the screenplay or the editing. But, because there is no such thing as a perfect film, Interstellar manages to maintain its ambition on the highest possible level and any minor flaws are easily forgettable. Nolan balances several adventurous sequences (inside the wormhole, around the black hole, on the potentially habitable planets, the docking sequence) along with plenty emotional and intimate scenes.

On the technical side, Interstellar is a masterful achievement. Hans Zimmer's organ based score is one of his best and it accompanies the characters from their most intimate to their most engrossing moments. Hoyte van Hoytema who replaced Wally Pfister as Nolan's director of photography creates one of the most visually stunning experiences in the history of cinema. The visual and sound effects and the editing are bound to be recognized.

I can't really say if Interstellar is Nolan's best film but it definitely is his most ambitious by far. Except from being his most ambitious film ever, Interstellar is also his most divisive. The decisions he makes in the infamous third act may alienate some people but for me this part is the best and most audacious of the whole film and the way Nolan directs it and delivers it, makes it feel so heartbreaking and awe-inspiring at the same time.

Interstellar is a heavenly made science fiction film and certainly one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all time. Part of this film's greatness lies on the fact that it desperately needs to be watched at least twice. First for the questions and then for the answers. Go watch it on the biggest screen possible.
  82. Nov 14, 2014
    I have never seen such a great film. Guys, just watch it, it must be in the cinema! The ending is so beautiful. The whole film starts just right after flying into the space. After every second passed, its just get better.
  83. Nov 14, 2014
    a genuius script with foreshadowing and a mind blowing original plot. i found the first hour similar to the bad reviews on this site but after that i was in awe of undoubtably the best movie I've ever seen. the way things work out just blew my mind and the perfect way of showing human nature left me dazzled by the movies brilliance
  84. Nov 14, 2014
    greatest movie i ve seen in years, there are no plot holes, just most audiences lack the knowledge or the will to believe the movies story wich is based on real physics/theoritical physics.

how can people say is "bad science" when KIP THORNE was the producer and all the movie is based on real science?!

some people should start evolveing.
  85. Nov 15, 2014
    I am still thinking about this film days after viewing. It's not for everyone, I think. Go with an open and switched on mind.
    Loved it for its stark realism, the science and the ultimate challenge for humanity. Thank you Christopher Nolan ,for making what will be one of my favourite films in my lifetime.
  86. Nov 16, 2014
    This is personally, my favourite my of 2014. Up Their with Boyhood, Birdman, Nightcrawler, dawn of the planet of the apes, and Guardians of the galaxy. Firstly, this is the best soundtrack I have ever heard from a movie. Hans Zimmer has done a phenomenal job making the soundtrack epic, emotional and add tension to suspenseful moments of the movie. Secondly, the CGI is flawless. On par with Gravity's CGI. Now, the story. It is extremely complex. I' not going to talk about it that much because it will spoil a couple of essential parts to the movie. The only thing I will say, is that I still think about it, even though I watched the movie a week ago. And that's what makes this movie special to movie. I still think about it. Even if the ending is not up to par with the rest of the movie, it is open to many interpretations, just like Inception. From now on, The Dark Knight, Inception, and Intersteller are my 3 favourite Nolan movie. 10/10 Expand
  87. Nov 6, 2014
    Where do I begin to describe this movie? This movie just thrills and amazes.
    It shows you the possibilities of science, mankind, and life on the edge of hope and fear. The movie keeps you enticed and thrilled till the end, and it was not a moment too long. I just loved it and I think everyone should see this.
  88. Nov 5, 2014
    Best comparison is to the movie Signs by M. Night Shayamalan. (Full disclosure: I hated Signs with white-hot hatred.) Both movies have a single father living in the middle of a corn field who tidily resolves a dilemma concerning destiny with appropriate amounts of woo. Interstellar is laudably not religious in the least, but you can't credibly slap a 'science' label on woo and have anything but mislabeled woo. Expand
  89. Nov 11, 2014
    Interstellar starts too slow, has a short peak, then drops into the black hole. Throwing together ideas from 2001, Contact, The Black Hole, Ghost (yeah !!!) and Forever War (novel), this thing is 170 minutes of nothingness. Its not even vidually as thrilling if You consider movies like Apollo 13, Gravity or Solaris.
    Less minutes, a more focused plot and less Deus Ex Machina would have
    made a better movie. Expand
  90. Nov 8, 2014
    You're not fooling me again, Mr. Nolan. Critics raved for "Inception," and fanbois were spawned by the million. I had to see for myself what Inception was. And it turned out to be beautiful, sterile, and incredibly dull; an elaborate structure that was hollow on the inside. Now those same critics and same feverish fanbois are telling me how this new movie of yours will change my life yet again. Not fooling me Mr. Nolan, I doubt this will even rate a redbox rental. GOOD DAY to you sir. Expand
  91. Nov 10, 2014
    Great movie, probably one of my favourite movies ever(my favourite is Blade Runner).
    Great visuals, great story. At one point i felt something like pain of an main character(literally).
    Great emotions. It's first Nolan's film that i watched am already his fan.
  92. Nov 9, 2014
    Not quite a masterpiece, but a wonderful visual inception that would even keep the Dark Knight looking with interest for 3 hours. It brings back many memories of Stanley Kubrick's 2001. This visual feature will take you to places that Kubrick could of never visited in a 1960s film. Why did I not give this story a 10 do you say? I liked the main plot well enough, but the subplot that takes over the film in the last act kinda left me like some of those theorems you get in a junior college. You call a theory an educated guess well there were plenty of guess in this film just not sure if they were educated or not. Don't let my complaints distract you from seeing this movie though, and also do yourself a favor and see the 70mm version with the best sound system possible! Expand
  93. Nov 16, 2014
    Yeah, it's damn good. It's not as good as Memento or the Dark Knight, but just being on this space adventure makes up for that. Despite some plot holes, the movie stands up and is a must see.
  94. Nov 13, 2014
    There's something in Interstellar that transcends all Nolan's movies till now: that's the sense of humanity and love shown by the characters. Love transcends everything, and Nolan accomplishes an incredible goal by giving us that transcendence. He's trying to get higher and higher, and Interstellar is nothing but a big big step for a director that reunites the best of film-making business all around. It's not better than his other movies, it's just another big film from a big director. Expand
  95. Nov 8, 2014
    Interstellar is a ambitious film you won't soon forget. While there are times you feel exasperated by the science and trying to fit everything in place in your mind, the sheer spectacle is something to behold. A-
  96. Nov 8, 2014
    A true hommage to sci-fi classics such as Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, Tarkovsky's Solayris and very good Cuaron's Gravity. Very ambitious movie, ''shooting for the stars'', although sometimes loses itself in the making but nevertheless impressive art of work. A must see on the big screen whenever you'll like it or hate it. It deserves it.
  97. Nov 11, 2014
    Christopher Nolan's Interstellar is a awe-inspiring, powerful, and thought-provoking film that leans heavily on the human emotions. Now of course people will compare this to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A space Odyssey and why i do think Interstellar is an amazing film i don't think its on the level of Kubrick's 2001 but while others see this as a bad thing i don't and i wish that wasn't something people judge the film by.

Interstellar opens up in the near future on a dying earth which cannot sustain life for much longer with food becoming scarce and frequent major dust storms it's reminiscent of the 1930's Dust Bowl only worse. The film follows Cooper (McConaughey) a former NASA test pilot and engineer who is now a farmer that lives with his daughter Murph, his son Tom, and his father-in-law Donald. This is where we spend the first 30-40 minutes of the film that serves as the set-up for things come and while nothing really amazing happens here this is where the film builds on its emotion of love with Cooper and his daughter which ends up being the whole underlining theme of the movie. I can understand why people don't like the whole "love theme" of the movie but to those people i want to know if they even understand the movie itself?

Now after using a wormhole or should i say the sphere-hole the group which consists of Amelia (Anne Hathaway), Romilly (David Gyasi), Doyle (Wes Bentley), and TARS a walking, talking, pillar-like, robot thingy they find themselves searching 3 earth like planet to see which one is habitable. On the first planet they show off time relativity which was a really cool thing but this was where i had my first problem with the film, that being the pacing of it. Alright so basically for every hour they spend on this planet 7 years will have passed on earth and of course after something goes wrong on the planet some of the group gets stuck there for what seems like 20 minutes but in fact is like 4-5 hours so in total they end up spending almost 24 years on that planet and that's my problem with it at no point did it feel like they were on that planet for 4-5 hours maybe 2 or 3 hours at the most.

Now i wont go into much more into this as it will be giving away key parts of the story and i don't want to do that to a movie like this. I will say though that the ride doesn't end there and if anything it just keeps getting crazier and crazier for me the movie felt a lot like Inception by which i mean the different layers the film has. I'm not sure if others feel like this too i don't know maybe its just me but that does bring me to my next point. Just like Inception i feel like Interstellar will get a love it or hate it reception by this i mean since its like Inception people will end up finding its story too complex and hard to follow but for me i was able to follow this movie just fine even with all the scientific space talk it has.

Its visuals were jaw dropping to say the least i love how great Nolan gets his movies to look with filming on film rather than digital like most movies nowadays. Film gives you something different something digital has yet to offer it just sucks that more and more studios are trying to push digital because its cheaper and more efficient but its great that some of the best directors still around like Nolan, Scorsese, and Tarantino still love to use film lets hope it doesn't fade away with titans like them still using it. Now onto the Score by Hans Zimmer while i did absolutely love it i did feel like there was a bit too much of it being used in the film by that i mean i would have liked a few more silent scenes of the spaceship just spinning around with the earth in the background or when its just out in space something to give off that "there is no sound is space" feel but other than that the score was perfection. One more thing i was hoping for in the movie was that there were more scenes of stars, galaxies, and of just being in space in general, although the movie takes place in space a lot of it is spent either inside the ship or on a planet so you don't get that full immersed feeling but what we do get to see like the wormhole, the space-warp, and the few shots of planets, its just simply amazing to look at but i do understand that if they add those scenes it would only slow done a film that was already approaching 3 hours... still though i personally would have loved it.

The overall acting was solid but that's to be expected with so many great actors and with most already having worked with Nolan on previous films that wouldn't be an issue. Yes of course Matthew McConaughey does another great acting performance but thats nothing to be surprised by anymore the guy has seriously turned his acting career around but Mackenzie Foy's acting performance as young Murphy was something i was moved by she is quite a talented young actress for sure someone to keep an eye out for later roles.

Overall i give it a 9.0 I had a longer review but again cut short by meta
  98. Nov 7, 2014
    Visually stunning, amazingly acted and thought provoking. It is thrilling, but flawed. The last 20 minutes is very convoluted, BUT, Interstellar's greatness, far outweighs it's faults. Interstellar is one of my fave movies of the year! 910.
  99. Nov 14, 2014
    This is one of the best movies of 2014 so far. The acting is great, the story is great and you really but into the relationship between Matthew and his daughter. This is a must see.
  100. Nov 10, 2014
    The impeccably acted and surprisingly emotional IMAX spectacle Interstellar is a predominantly riveting space odyssey gorgeously realized by visionary director Christopher Nolan and his crew.

1. Reviewed by: Ben Nicholson
    Nov 6, 2014
    Interstellar may not be perfect, but tent-pole filmmaking with such ambition and grandeur is always worth celebrating.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Nov 6, 2014
    Nolan’s 168-minute odyssey through the space-time continuum is stuffed with stuff of bewildering wrongness. Eager for grandeur, I went in hoping for the very best from a filmmaker with his own vision of the theatrical medium’s potential. The last thing I expected was a space adventure burdened by turgid discussions of abstruse physics, a wavering tone, visual effects of variable quality and a time-traveling structure that turns on bloodless abstractions.
  3. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Nov 5, 2014
    Interstellar is riddled with ridiculisms; the but how comes … never stop. And yet: Nolan, a notoriously chilly filmmaker who’s never shown much faculty with matters of the heart, is pinning that heart squarely on his sleeve.