Paramount Pictures | Release Date: November 5, 2014
Universal acclaim based on 3724 Ratings
3,228
Watch Now
ProteusNov 5, 2014
The best thing about Interstellar is that, like Inception, the science and the ideas are as real, as sophisticated, and as advanced, as any ideas out there. If you see a critic or somebody saying this is convoluted or overly complex that saysThe best thing about Interstellar is that, like Inception, the science and the ideas are as real, as sophisticated, and as advanced, as any ideas out there. If you see a critic or somebody saying this is convoluted or overly complex that says more about their lack of understanding than about the movie. We should be thrilled Nolan is thinking about and making movies about these things. Bravo. Expand
TheApplegnomeNov 7, 2014
Christopher Nolan did it again; Interstellar will twist your mind and fill your heart with love. Interstellar isn't just a massive space-adventure. It's much more than that; it’s a film about human bonding.

Interstellar is by far the best

Interstellar is by far the best sci-fi film of the year, and one of the greatest of all time. The vast storyline about the connection between us humans is so incredible, I felt so attracted to the characters and I almost started crying because it's so dramatic and epic. I usually don't feel so attracted to the characters like in Interstellar, so this was just so incredible! When it comes to the actors and their roles, are they all superb. Matthew McConaughey as Cooper is just fantastic; he's both dramatic and stunning in action. Jessica Chastain and Mackenzie Foy as Murph are both awesome, even a bit touching. One aspect of Interstellar (when it comes to the actors) is that there's one actor I didn't expect to be in this film, so it was a big surprise! There's even some humor between the characters in this film, which I didn't expect. As mentioned, the story is wonderful, but there might be some slow scenes in the end of the first act, but the ending explained it all so there's nothing wrong about it!

Interstellar is a film that just kept going and going when I saw it. I thought it would end like 3 or 4 times but instead it just continued with even more exiting and innovated things that I never have seen before. I can tell you this: if you thought Inception was something innovating and spectacular, go and watch Interstellar, you won't regret it! Some people think the last act of the film is less impressive, but I don't agree, it's fantastic! The structure of Interstellar is in my opinion very similar with The Prestige, maybe not as excessive but I totally love it! It's so clear that this is a film by Christopher Nolan, just the visuals are incredible and I was so amazed while watching it. It even looks more real than the film Gravity, and the first 30 minutes of Interstellar is totally superior than Gravity. I couldn't even see if there are CGI in this film, and that there's no 3D is a great thing!

There are some minor flaws in the film, and the first thing is the soundtrack. Yes it's from the famous composer Hans Zimmer, and I love his previous works like the music in The Dark Knight Trilogy and in the film Inception. But it's not exactly as massive and touching as I thought it would be. It's still impressive, but not as vast or touching. Another thing is the first act of the film; it felt like they had cut too much scenes, because it felt a bit to fast. There could also have been a bit more action. The last aspect is the trailer, it doesn't spoil much about the film, but I think they should have shown less of the visuals. It could have resulted in even more surprising things with the film.

This is the best film from Christopher Nolan to date, but it's not a perfect film. Even though, I don't think we need to wait that long until he creates something even more spectacular than Interstellar.

Interstellar get a 9.5/10
subcontractingNov 5, 2014
Music perfectly falls on the picture, the story can not tear myself away from the screen for almost three hours. This is simply the best modern sci-fi film. And don't forget, story based on Kip Thorne works, and theoretically it can be true! ^_^
AkashVijayApr 6, 2015
Interstellar may have been scientifically accurate but that doesn't excuse it of its thematic flaws.
Foe one I think it's tediously wordy at times. There's a lot of unnecessary dialogue that just takes away from the emotional heart of the film - like that bloke who starts explaining why worm holes ought to be spherical in 3 dimensions using flowcharts and diagrams. What was the point of doing that? For one you'd think a Nasa pilot whose mission is to enter a wormhole would know that but more importantly it degraded a thrilling moment (entering the wormhole) with a bunch of prose. And there's a lot of this in the film. The part on Newton's 3rd law made me cringe.

Characters explain the effects of warped space-time to each other and throw away cheesy relativity punch lines but they hardly ever have real human moments. I would've preferred if the film explained none of its scientific complexities. Let the audience rise up to the occasion, let them figure it out. But this is where Nolan's commercial instinct takes over. I get that he's trying to sell the film to a wider demographic and I get that there had to be some amount of exposition but Nolan does this to such an extent that it takes away the humanity of his characters. Why should I care about them? Exposition is a cheap alternative for not being able to convey your ideas through imagery. Anne Hathaway's Dr. Brandt is a poorly written character because midway through the film, her personality just flips in a dime and we have a new character clothed in the same flesh. She's introduced as a stern and no-nonsense woman but later on she starts spewing the most nonsensical things in the movie - like that "love is quantifiable" baloney she's obsessed with. Again just shows you Nolan's women can't be strong women, they can only be strong lovers. I was shocked in the end when I found out that Cooper and Brandt were supposed to end up together. Was there any chemistry there? And then you have Matt Damon who's not really a character but a walking wikipedia that's there only to list the pro's and cons of being human - the performance doesn't help either.

The part of the film that needed explaining is the sci-fi-y part (which you can't look up in a book) about how humans are planning to leave the planet. In fact I still don't understand it. So the astronauts went searching for some specific numerical data required for solving some equation that could be found only inside the black hole but how would the unification of general relativity and quantum mechanics help us leave the planet. In fact how did we leave the planet? Weren't we out of fuel? I'm not trying to poke holes or anything. I just don't get it.

There's things that the movie does very honestly and get's right - like the relationship between Murphy and Cooper but I also think there's stuff the film gets very wrong. The best scene Nolan's ever directed is from the Dark Knight when the Joker leans out of the police car and shakes his head in glee. There's no dialogue, there's no music but it's a haunting and beautiful sequence that conveys volumes. In my opinion Interstellar never achieves that sort of artistry. I still liked it but I don't think it's as good as recent sic-fi films such as Wall-E, A.I., Children of Men, Minority Report, Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind or Nolan's own the Prestige. Interstellar may leave one feeling completely indifferent or deeply moved. Sadly I'm among those who felt it was contrived, unfocussed and eventually self-defeating.
jmjne4545Nov 5, 2014
In my opinion, Interstellar certainly lives up to the hype. Words simply can't describe the experience I had while watching this movie unfold before my eyes in that glorious 70 MM Imax format. The visuals were jaw dropping, acting was superb,In my opinion, Interstellar certainly lives up to the hype. Words simply can't describe the experience I had while watching this movie unfold before my eyes in that glorious 70 MM Imax format. The visuals were jaw dropping, acting was superb, and the story was filled with originality and hand full of surprises along the way. There is so much to this movie you don't know about when you go into seeing it for the first time, which was a huge plus! The less you know about the story for this movie, the better. While there are a lot of positives for this movie, my only complaint would have to be the pacing of the story. There were a couple instances where I felt like the story was being rushed and that I had to just go along with what was going on at those points. Despite the movie being almost three hours long, I kinda wish it could be a little longer so that the story could progress more naturally. Other than that, I have no other negatives to mention. I walked out of the theater feeling satisfied and wanting to experience it again! And probably will! Expand
Brent_MarchantNov 8, 2014
A surprisingly underwhelming offering sorely in need of judicious editing, better writing and a clearer focus. Despite capable performances by Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain, as well as an emotive score and terrificA surprisingly underwhelming offering sorely in need of judicious editing, better writing and a clearer focus. Despite capable performances by Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain, as well as an emotive score and terrific sound, the picture suffers from largely mediocre special effects, uneven pacing, underdeveloped characters, bland supporting performances and a choppy, bloated script. When telling a tale that aspires to epic heights, the worst offense a director can commit is to make the story boring, which is precisely what has happened here. Don't believe the hype; this release is far from what it could and should have been. Expand
argonsteeleNov 7, 2014
Very disappointing. Everything is done for cool visuals and nothing makes sense. Serious and pretentious and ultimately boring. Wants to be about the future of the human race, but ends up being about the power of love. ;-/ There's a lotVery disappointing. Everything is done for cool visuals and nothing makes sense. Serious and pretentious and ultimately boring. Wants to be about the future of the human race, but ends up being about the power of love. ;-/ There's a lot of great visual references to 2001 and some good humor actually, but you can't help wondering how the script was green lit. It could have been great if he had taken more (or less) LSD! Expand
benuttyNov 5, 2014
Not a film about science as we commonly understand it. In fact, Interstellar works hard to convince you to see science in unimagined ways and this (that most critics are using as a reason why the film fails) is its strongest asset. A filmNot a film about science as we commonly understand it. In fact, Interstellar works hard to convince you to see science in unimagined ways and this (that most critics are using as a reason why the film fails) is its strongest asset. A film with incredible imagination, Interstellar weaves reductive iterations of themes like exploration, love and time together so cohesively that the audience is challenged to see them each with new wonder.

Anne Hathaway is given one of her most complex roles to date and her work here is both efficient and subtle. Technically, the editing, cinematography and score all work hard to bring the ideas of the story to new heights.
FilmaholicNov 5, 2014
I emplore everyone to put the critics aside and go into this film with an open mind. It does get pretty science-y but do not let that stop you! This movie is a brilliant opus to both 2001 (with a MUCH more satisfying climax) not saying theI emplore everyone to put the critics aside and go into this film with an open mind. It does get pretty science-y but do not let that stop you! This movie is a brilliant opus to both 2001 (with a MUCH more satisfying climax) not saying the end of 2001 is bad, also another amazing movie. There is also some subtle points to the movie The Black Hole. If you have seen both of these, movies then you should get the references. Jaw-dropping soundtrack! Cinematography is some of the best that I have seen this year. I really feel that this is Nolan's love letter to the genre. The movie is not without fault though, but everything blended so WELL that I still gave it a 10. I have not had a movie invoke so much emotion as this one did in a long time! One more thing to note, if you plan on seeing this, please see it in 70MM IMAX! It just adds to the size and scope of the movie! Expand
LamontRaymondNov 5, 2014
An absolute visual feast, Interstellar delivers on its promises, and it actually - believe it or not - has a more satisfying ending than 2001. Not that the story is superior to Kubrick's classic, but there's a heart to it that I did notAn absolute visual feast, Interstellar delivers on its promises, and it actually - believe it or not - has a more satisfying ending than 2001. Not that the story is superior to Kubrick's classic, but there's a heart to it that I did not expect. I enjoyed the science - it does not talk down to its audience, and I can say I learned a few things. I especially enjoyed the robots with their matter-of-fact voices/affect. Though they don't have a human appearance - they initially appear super clunky (until you come to realize what they're capable of) - you instantly feel comfortable with them, which I credit in great part to the incredible voice acting of Bill Irwin. The father-daughter story is touching - both the young actress and Chastain are tremendous. McConaughey, if you've seen him in True Detective, does not disappoint. Expand
Hamid19931993Nov 5, 2014
this is other masterpiece movie from Mr.Nolan. the visualy are very stunning and it hase an emotional aspect. Well done Nolan!!! i was blown away for the second time and i will go tomorrow for the thirth time to enjoy his movie in Imaxthis is other masterpiece movie from Mr.Nolan. the visualy are very stunning and it hase an emotional aspect. Well done Nolan!!! i was blown away for the second time and i will go tomorrow for the thirth time to enjoy his movie in Imax format, because that is the only experience that you can see it in the cinema. Expand
Eilidh2Nov 6, 2014
I am not a Nolanite. Maybe I'm an anti-Nolanite. I have nothing but contempt for movies about comic book superheroes. I hated Inception. I went into this movie with enough baggage to get me thrown off a plane.

It was superb. It was

It was superb. It was mind-blowing. I'm old. I saw 2001 when it originally came out, when everybody who saw it, came out saying "WTF?" Then, people discovered watching 2001 while high - and everything fell into place!

During the (controversial) 3rd act, I was back in 2001 (and wondering where I left my bong years before..). I didn't really need to heighten the sensation though, Nolan bombarded the audience with son et lumieres and McConaughey bombarded the audience with the most beautifully wrought portrayal of abject desperation and unconditional love I've ever seen on screen.

It broke my heart and I'm cynical as hell. The screenplay was serviceable, the dialogue was atrocious (this is Nolan after all), but it didn't matter. The visuals made Gravity look like it was filmed on an IPhone. The performances? Even Anne Hathaway was fine. Jessica Chastain and Mackenzie Foy, I shall forever revere. But McConaughey? Good God, this man is working on a level unknown to other actors. Absolutely electrifying. Not the Oscar bait that the Academy usually rewards, I think a Nobel Prize is in order.

I never suspected a film would come along this year that could threaten my beloved Boyhood's hold on my heart, yet Interstellar comes perilously close.
michael1208Nov 5, 2014
Unlike his usual blockbuster style, Nolan has challenged both himself and the audiences a greater depth in this stunning space opera creatively. Slightly clinched and flawed in term of plot wise, this pure hard science fiction that stresses aUnlike his usual blockbuster style, Nolan has challenged both himself and the audiences a greater depth in this stunning space opera creatively. Slightly clinched and flawed in term of plot wise, this pure hard science fiction that stresses a lot on Quantum theories, space elements, astrophysics, time, gravity and the rushing, complex and slightly illogical third act might squeeze one's mind in this heavy 3 hours mission, but the worthy and meaningful dialogues, enormous expansion from the universe in Gravity, strong and connecting relationship between father and daughter have overall made the film entertaining, thrilling and thought-provoking. Hans Zimmer follows the director's effort in terms of scoring, which the musics sound more emotional, calm and creepy rather than the usual loud and powerful style; award-winning cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema did perfect job to present stunning, immersive and state-of-the-art visual effects of the space, wormholes, black hole and unknown planets beyond our galaxy. It might not be the most epic and perfect film, but this love letter from Nolan which is heavily inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey, sending through the time and gravity somehow represents a rare film that begins and ends so beautifully and stellar. Expand
ivan_terribleNov 6, 2014
The best sci-fi movie for 2014. It has a mixture of human psychology, drama, sci-fi and actions. I felt the movie was a bit short even if it's almost 3 hours long, extra 15 minutes would do. Good ending and it worth my time in the big screen.
GreatMartinNov 8, 2014
I don’t know at what point I stopped caring about the main characters in “Interstellar” but it must have been upon losing all interest as to whether they ’make it’ or don’t. Or it may have been at the one point a crew member is lost and theI don’t know at what point I stopped caring about the main characters in “Interstellar” but it must have been upon losing all interest as to whether they ’make it’ or don’t. Or it may have been at the one point a crew member is lost and the reaction was, “So what?”

The film is long, at 169 minutes, with a lot of forgettable science verbiage that is forgotten by most of the audience before the credits start running. Will even the science nerds in the audience remember the dialogue regarding the black hole or the worm hole? Isn’t it enough to say that one hour in space will equal 7 hours on earth without getting into quantum theories? I’d rather hear how Anne Hathaway’s hair stays so sculptured after having a space helmet on for a flight, walking in water and on ice plus the gravity experienced, which is talked about but doesn’t seem to affect hairdos!

Director Christopher Nolan and co-writer of the script with his brother Jonathan, seem to know what they want to say when dealing with family relationships but when the abruptly take off space they seem to get lost. “Gravity” set the bar high for filming in space and spaceships and “Interstellar” comes nowhere near those scenes and feelings. The Nolans, along with the Director of Photography Hoyte van Hoytema, get the feel, sights and sounds of earth drying up and the possibility of the end of earth is made believable as are the various family relations, but once the movie blasts off to space everything comes to a halt except for a robot that seems more livelier than the humans.

The cast do what they can with what they got but Matthew McConaughey as Cooper, former test pilot who is brought back to lead this mission to find a place that the humans on earth can move to before they die, is fine in the father and daughter scenes but does not bring much to the hero aspect of the film. Oh, and a side note, he does need to put on some of the weight he lost for “Dallas Buyers Club”. Anne Hathaway has a thankless part while Michael Caine as her father gets to repeat Dylan Thomas”s poem “Do not go gentle into that good night” a few times. Murph, Cooper’s daughter, is played by 3 actresses and as the 10 year old Mackenzie Foy is a stand out while Jessica Chastain as Murph in her 30s has nothing to do but being angry.

David Gyasi and Wes Bently as the crew working with McConaughey and Hathaway, along with computerized robot voiced by Bill Irwin, are more than adequate. They are 3 other actors, not to be named, in the film so as not to provide spoilers. Also Casey Affleck, as Murph’s brother, in an underwritten role does what he can with it.

Ah yes I must give credit to Hans Zimmer for the too often loud music, signifying nothing, for keeping me awake in the last hour of “Interstellar”.
foxgroveNov 8, 2014
Here we go again reviewing yet another failed giant which clocks in at a butt numbing 169 minutes. It's an ambitious but flawed venture that is big in concept, big in budget and explores big themes. Sadly what this all adds up to is a bigHere we go again reviewing yet another failed giant which clocks in at a butt numbing 169 minutes. It's an ambitious but flawed venture that is big in concept, big in budget and explores big themes. Sadly what this all adds up to is a big disappointment. The story, full of as many holes as there are black ones in space, is a mish mash of ideas which never really gel and one never quite gets a hold of what the point of it all is. The actors don't offer much by way of compensation either. Anne Hathaway shouldering the worst of the dialogue is the biggest casualty here, but Michael Caine is also tiresome as is Matt Damon who adds nothing. Matthew McConnaughey is better, but whatever emotion or empathy the film generates, and there are some very moving moments, are purely due to the wonderful Jessica Chastain. The film's biggest asset is her performance, although it's good to see film legend Ellen Burstyn showing all the others how it's done in just one tiny scene.

The banal dialogue is often gibberish and causes the rolling of one's eyes in disbelief or embarrassment. Nearly all scenes are over extended and often one is inclined to tune out long before they are finished. The special effects are good, but aside from a couple of sequences (a huge wave and the final set piece involving McConnaughey and Chastain),there really isn't much that we haven't seen before. The music comes on strong and sounds like an extended version of Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' from 1973's 'The Exorcist', co incidentally starring Burstyn in one of her finest roles.

The sound is very loud and effective during the set pieces, but is then often inaudible during simple dialogue exchanges between characters. I have no idea what Anne Hathaway was mumbling at the end in so pained a manner.
There are some marvellous compositions of the outside of the spacecraft filmed in complete silence, which are then judiciously cut with the sound included inside the ship. More of this and less dialogue would have been appreciated all round. Another gimmick that serves little purpose was the almost inevitable inclusion of the robot TARS. I would have recommended the removal of his power pack.

Director Christopher Nolan is certainly full of ideas but, unfortunately, they are never fully realised. He comes over like a young boy trying to communicate a passion or a hobby that no one else gets. His direction is over indulgent and left me confused and bored. Perhaps after two dramatic failures (Inception was very similar in style, but an even worse film!) he should try his hand at comedy. After all laughter in a cinema in infinitely preferable to sleeping.
XiongNov 9, 2014
The more you know, the stupider this film seems. If you passed any high-school science class or played Kerbal Space Program for a few hours, you will want to retch. Some of the SFX will impress people who think loud music means drama. This isThe more you know, the stupider this film seems. If you passed any high-school science class or played Kerbal Space Program for a few hours, you will want to retch. Some of the SFX will impress people who think loud music means drama. This is a fraud, an insult to the notion of science fiction. Expand
MikeWritesNov 7, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *** spoilers ***

While visually stunning, this is one of the most flawed films in recent memory. Flawed, because more time was spent rendering out the special effects than developing a screenplay worthy of the cast and budget. When you're a filmmaker who can make anything you want - on film - there is no excuse for your films to not bring something new to the table and work at a basic screenplay level.

Interstellar does not ask new questions and with a script that literally feels like a first draft --I'm just shocked that Nolan didn't develop this more. The entire core of this film is the relationship between our lead Cooper and his daughter - but this is so rushed and honestly, extremely cheesy, that we don't care what happens. They spend far too much in time in space - with a ridiculous plot involving Matt Damon - and cut back to Earth is sporadic cuts that pull us into so many directions. There is no focus in this film.

This film proves that the Nolan brothers can not handle a couple of things: writing females and writing emotional characters that we're attached to. The dialogue was laughable - over the top in many places - and basically just a ton of one-liners.

We cut from Cooper learning he has to go to space - says goodbye - boom on the rocket - NO ATTACHMENT. There is zero development here - just get him to space, which fails to tell the core story well - which bites this movie in its ass in the third act. There are countless films that do this way better - Apollo 13, Close Encounters (they don't even go to space there) - if you want the audience to care about your characters then you have to spend more time making them care - not as much with the science and pizzaz - and I know everyone will love this movie, but it's not just minor flaws here - it's gaping holes in both motivation and development.

Forced. Rushed. However you want to put it - I'm sorry folks - it's not a great movie - not even a good one. Everything is spoon fed to the audience - no, not just the science - the twists - I didn't know on the nose screen writing was so acceptable in Hollywood - guess it is. They talk about ghosts so many times within the first act that anyone with half a brain KNEW there was something there - and if you know anything about space travel, black holes - or any of the stuff that is talked about in the trailers - you can put two and two together and call the major twist in the FIRST ACT. I literally turned to my girlfriend and called it - as did the other 5 people we were with...

And yes - I understood all the underlying themes and motifs he was playing with - love/gravity etc - but it wasn't enough to save a script where the characters aren't given room to breath.
schulbertNov 10, 2014
My first review for Metacritic. inspired to join to record my disappointment with this film. And I wasn't the only one. People were leaving to go to loo thoughout the film, often a bad sign. I honestly thought the film was 4 hours long.My first review for Metacritic. inspired to join to record my disappointment with this film. And I wasn't the only one. People were leaving to go to loo thoughout the film, often a bad sign. I honestly thought the film was 4 hours long. Long scenes of boring dialogue. Like other reviewers, I found it astonishing that one astronought would have to explain to another what a worm hole was. And the robot was so unweildly. We conveniently skipped how it got in and out of the spacecraft. I love a good space movie. But give me Moon, Gravity or Apollo 13 any day. Expand
DannyGNov 8, 2014
3 Of Us Fell Asleep, 6 Of Us - Out Of 7 - Hated It! That's the score from a group of 7 friends who went to see Interstellar tonight. If I hadn't been with friends I would have walked out!

The only friend who liked it said she enjoys soap

The only friend who liked it said she enjoys soap operas. That pretty much sums it up! IF YOU LIKE SOAP OPERAS YOU WILL LOVE INTERSTELLAR!

There are so many plot holes several of us were cracking jokes by the end of the movie. So many parts of Interstellar are so ridiculous or makes no sense -whatsoever- it borders on camp. Sure the cinematography is magnificent. But in the end it's nothing but pretty wallpaper when the story is drawn out, tedious, annoying, maudlin, nonsensical, irrelevant, dopey and depressing. (I heard way too many violins in the soundtrack! LOL!)

All I can say is when the only food humanity has left to eat is corn & corn products, then you are going to end up with a very corny movie!
ManborgNov 5, 2014
Terrible performances and even worse writing, filled with gaping plot holes and over wrought direction. It's a clunky mess of film. Such a shame. It had so much potential.
grandpajoe6191Aug 22, 2015
Although the plot seems to delve into ridiculous solutions at times, making up a few ex machinas to somehow cover up the deeply tangled and complicated storyline the movie sets itself into, Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" is a stellarAlthough the plot seems to delve into ridiculous solutions at times, making up a few ex machinas to somehow cover up the deeply tangled and complicated storyline the movie sets itself into, Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" is a stellar movie with the typical Nolan-signature styled choreography and amazing visuals, a great soundtrack, and an excellent performance from Matthew McConaughey, where in some scenes he literally brought me to tears in. Expand
oraborsaNov 8, 2014
Sabia desde un principio que no iba a ser la típica película de ciencia ficción con aliens y explosiones por doquier. Es lo mas parecido al viaje de Kubrick que se ha filmado hasta el momento y esta a ese excelente nivel. ExcelentesSabia desde un principio que no iba a ser la típica película de ciencia ficción con aliens y explosiones por doquier. Es lo mas parecido al viaje de Kubrick que se ha filmado hasta el momento y esta a ese excelente nivel. Excelentes actuaciones y fotografía. La recomiendo para aquellos fanáticos del genero. Expand
RyanMogg98Nov 10, 2014
Personally I felt Interstellar was a great film that sometimes struggled to get to the point. Graphically the film is one of the best of its kind, It also really makes you the feel that the clock is ticking. Its a film that keeps you on thePersonally I felt Interstellar was a great film that sometimes struggled to get to the point. Graphically the film is one of the best of its kind, It also really makes you the feel that the clock is ticking. Its a film that keeps you on the edge of you seat right until the end. You never know which way it will go. Also Nolan left the ending on a slight cliff hanger so potentially a 2nd Interstellar may be on the books. It is a complex film but Space is a complex subject. Nolan took this film to a whole new level, making you want to know more & leaving you wanting a second film. Expand
StockillNov 8, 2014
Interstellar is visually stunning, not only in space but on earth as well. On top of that Hans Zimmer's score is absolutely brilliant and one of my favourites ever. The only problem I had with this movie is the ending. Without going intoInterstellar is visually stunning, not only in space but on earth as well. On top of that Hans Zimmer's score is absolutely brilliant and one of my favourites ever. The only problem I had with this movie is the ending. Without going into spoilers I just would have preferred a different ending that could have still worked within the movie. That doesn't mean the ending didn't work, or wasn't good, just not what I would have went with. This still is a must see movie, on the biggest screen with the best sound possible. It is a humanizing, grounded, yet ambitious and exceptional in almost every way. Expand
TMad1025Nov 8, 2014
While there is perhaps some plot "confusion" in the film, Interstellar is a visceral and visual space epic thats scope is as big as the universe its characters reach. Nolan shoots and scores as he combines emotion and science fictionWhile there is perhaps some plot "confusion" in the film, Interstellar is a visceral and visual space epic thats scope is as big as the universe its characters reach. Nolan shoots and scores as he combines emotion and science fiction seamlessly and tells a wonderfully impactful story. Perhaps its only flaw is that its material can be a lot comprehend at times but, in the end, the story comes full circle. Outstanding. Expand
Kevin0000HDec 13, 2014
it is simply a beautiful film with a lot of tension, action and deep that leaves the viewer with something in the heart that rejoices enough and leaves him with "hope" Hans Zimmer soundtrack is beautiful and great direction and script.
Also
Also very good special effects.
scientific accuracy and good sound mix.
that almost was not nominated for anything at the Golden Globes?
dflores_27Dec 18, 2014
This is easily one of the best movies ever created.! Every aspect of the film is incredible well done, the story is deep and has many twists that will surprise you, the soundtrack is perfect, that is the word, perfect.! From the veryThis is easily one of the best movies ever created.! Every aspect of the film is incredible well done, the story is deep and has many twists that will surprise you, the soundtrack is perfect, that is the word, perfect.! From the very beginning it gives you a sense of mystery that won't disappear until the end of the film. The development of the characters is great, with a masterful performance by McConaughey. Interstellar is a unique and special movie, one that you will want to see many times, and that you will never forget, a masterpiece.! Expand
NedRyerson1Jan 8, 2015
Interstellar is a mind-blowing movie, there is no way to summarize it in order to convince the audience to go see it. The next work of Christopher Nolan arrives with much more strength than Inception, not only because we jump from dreamsInterstellar is a mind-blowing movie, there is no way to summarize it in order to convince the audience to go see it. The next work of Christopher Nolan arrives with much more strength than Inception, not only because we jump from dreams to space, but also because is noticeable the consolidation that reached this director. First is the setting of the story, the life of mankind in the Earth has come to an end, although the interesting thing is how Nolan shows it, from the point of view of a family. Here it is clear the importance that acquires the human side in the story (which is also present in Nolan's filmography), and this theme from the beginning to the end is the protagonist. Some examples are the decision that Cooper has to make, whether going to space but miss seeing his children grow or stay; and the other one is probably the most heartbreaking scene of the movie, when the protagonist sees the compilation video (astonishing performance btw). This whole thing aims to evaluate human behavior, sometimes subconsciously (Inception, Memento) and others rationally (Interstellar), but both about survival instincts. Another amazing things about the picture are: the visual effects, obviously, how the crew gather the current info and theories about the aspect of a real dark hole; second, how it exhibits the concept of relativity; and finally, the representation of time as a tangible dimension. The film keeps you on the edge of your seat for nearly 3 hours, definitely nothing like what has been seen before. Expand
StaticSpineNov 9, 2014
A nice Sci-Fi movie with a serious plot and gloomy atmosphere. I didn't like the final part of the movie much, but still the effort is very solid. The actors are great, Matt Damon has a small but memorable role. A must see for all Sci-Fi fans.
Eon2323Jan 8, 2015
What else could you want from a movie? Christopher Nolan outdid himself with this gem. Matthew McConaughey was stunning in this film as well. Interstellar will take you to places unseen by the human eye. Great visual effects and aWhat else could you want from a movie? Christopher Nolan outdid himself with this gem. Matthew McConaughey was stunning in this film as well. Interstellar will take you to places unseen by the human eye. Great visual effects and a heartwarming and emotionally-invested story added with superb acting makes this by far my favorite film of 2014. Expand
blue-ninjaMar 21, 2015
This Movie is Great about Story, Effect, and Music. For Character is look good too, and salute for Nolan, keep keeping men for make Quality FilmThis Movie is Great about Story, Effect, and Music. For Character is look good too, and salute for Nolan, keep keeping men for make Quality Film /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Expand
XarxanJan 6, 2015
One of the best movies I've seen in years. Beautiful both in visuals and sound and has from what I've seen probably the most accurate representation of current theories in astrophysics in action ( except right at the end where they go intoOne of the best movies I've seen in years. Beautiful both in visuals and sound and has from what I've seen probably the most accurate representation of current theories in astrophysics in action ( except right at the end where they go into really unknown territory ).

Also that soundtrack deserves a reward by itself.
JamesCannonNov 28, 2014
Good ol fashion Nolan. The only films he made that I didnt really care for are Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises. This one is not quiet as powerful as Inception was, but it was still a pretty good ride. There are a lot of parallelsGood ol fashion Nolan. The only films he made that I didnt really care for are Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises. This one is not quiet as powerful as Inception was, but it was still a pretty good ride. There are a lot of parallels you could draw from Space Odyssey 2001, but the film has its own signature look and many of the creative decisions feel organic. It runs it a little long and some may feel the philosophy towards the end is a tad bit hokey. Overall B+. Expand
LeZeeNov 12, 2014
Well, one off from two of this year's most expected movies alongside 'The Battle of Five Armies'. Like all the Chris Nolan fans, I was equally excited to see the movie on the opening day opening show. But I slightly disappointed that it wasWell, one off from two of this year's most expected movies alongside 'The Battle of Five Armies'. Like all the Chris Nolan fans, I was equally excited to see the movie on the opening day opening show. But I slightly disappointed that it was not a digital 3D film. I agree, this science-fiction was more dramatized than usual space travel stories does with an adventure-thriller. Almost a 3 hour long stretch movie did not waste much time to take us to the core of the story. Get prepared for this extremely rare voyage into the space with a logical explanation for everything you see on the screen. Well done research for the most matured and intelligent writing. All the credit must go to Nolan brothers. A good sign from Jonathan Nolan, who can make big in the entertainment industry in a future like his brother.

As we know many had liked 'Inception', to me that was a simple multi-layered action movie, that's all. But the same stuffs that used in this film makes sense. In fact, you have to have a little knowledge over how the universe works, so then it will be easy to catch the scene and situations while watching the movie. Totally like a documentary style concept, but with the additional stuffs like characters and its emotions add flavor that gives a movie look. An educational movie, though it also can work for those who wants just entertainment. Only the slow movie pace would test their patience.

It was the story of a family alongside the future of humankind and decoding universal mysteries through travelling in space and time. This movie would a reasonable for those who thought '2001: A Space Odyssey' is a boring piece, Cleverly written cinematic piece especially for science geeks. I don't know how perfect the movie to the actual present astrophysics, but will justify for the common people's capacity of understanding with an encourageable amount of commercial elements in it to entertain as well.

The first three quarters of the movie was well made. It puts me in a unblinkable position like a story was narrated by Brian Cox in a television series. Like I said, lots of astrophysics involved in it, but strangely human emotions were also exhibited equally that I never expected one from Nolan film. It was not an ordinary sentiment, but was strong enough to make a man cry for happy and sad situations in the movie. I liked science and emotion coming together. In fact, it saved the movie, otherwise it would have been a science documentary straight from NASA production through Nolan direction.

There are many surprise elements in the movie and of course there is a twist at the end. We can call it a series of twists like the layers. Compared to last quarter of the movie to the rest, it completely detaches which opens broadly to the different directions. And that happens so fast rushing towards the other end. Which give an impression of the movie 'Inception'. In a perfect way to say the first 75% was 'The Tree of Life' and the remains are 'Inception'.

The story was initiated with a realistic approach with actual scientific contents as per the present understanding about the universe. But the end was let me down with the layered contents that kind of impossible to agree with it. As a cinematic theme it worked, yeah, a good solution for this wonderfully written story. We know that the time can't run backwards, so that's the trouble.

Anyway, this movie defines in a new way, I mean scientifically the existence of ghost. It was not a horror movie, but I liked supernatural force that merged with this science fiction theme. That explains and gives vast ideas to expand our physics beyond something and somewhere yet to reach. Hats off to the director, because he was not thinking of making money here. His idea was to implement what the humans are understood so far about the cosmos. And he very nicely transformed those into the silver screen with the blend of human emotions. In my opinion, this will replace '2001: A Space Odyssey' for sometime till another one make this way.

The visuals were not that great, but simply very good. To see those in digital 3D would have given us a different experience, sadly Nolan was not in favor of that technology. Hoping this movie would get as many as the Oscars nod. Especially not getting into the best motion picture shortlist would be a shame. Like I said I'm no one fan, I just love watching everyone's every movie. I would have went to see it again if it was converted into digital 3D, since I'm modern tech geek when it comes to the films.

The end scene leaves a hint of a possible sequel. I would be happy if that happen in a near future, but definitely that would be a completely different cinema as per how this one ended. I know his fans want that to happen and so am I. What I gonna say is it is a must see asap if you are a movie fanatic like me otherwise Nolan movies does not need anyone's recommendation because his movies usually sell itself like the hot samosa.
misterjingoDec 18, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I approached this film with trepidation after reading a lot of the negative reviews, but having seen it, I felt compelled to add to the growing praise it has received.

This is one of the most awe-inspiring films I have seen for a long time. The emotional development of the characters was just perfect, and while certain plot developments were dropped into conversations earlier in the film, I can understand why this was done. It was to aid people who seem unable to comprehend complicated plot structure, in this respect Nolan failed, as a lot of people still seemed to be in the dark.

This film is sci-"fi", so the third act, however fantastical, was not meant to be grounded in reality. Even so, the tesseract created by our descendants, and their ability to manipulate gravity and consequently time, alludes to unfathomable technology from our current technological viewpoint. The black hole could have been an artificial construct used as a teaching tool to transfer knowledge from a 5th to a 3rd dimensional being. Time being represented as a "physical" environment in this 5th dimensional space, such as the 2 dimensional wormhole was represented as a sphere in 3 dimensional space.

From the visuals (which were just awe-inspiring) to the decision to allow atmospheric sound and music to mask the dialogue in places, representing either the immensity of the situation or the sheer emotional trauma at such points.

I love that in this day and age, a Hollywood director could create such a piece which transcends the mundanity of daily (current) societal games and norms, and directs our gaze to the ineffable majesty of a greater reality which exists all around us.

I can't wait to watch this again.
riaan_radioheadJan 5, 2015
A magnificently mounted piece of popular entertainment - a bold and ambitious old school science fiction adventure film bound to inspire budding filmmakers much the same way Close Encounters of the Third Kind 2001 and Star Wars did back inA magnificently mounted piece of popular entertainment - a bold and ambitious old school science fiction adventure film bound to inspire budding filmmakers much the same way Close Encounters of the Third Kind 2001 and Star Wars did back in those days.
Hans Zimmer usually bombastic in his work, is unusually intimate and powerful here delivering one of the great cinematic scores.
Matthew McConaughey fresh from his Oscar streak is the film's beating heart: complex, tragic, heroic, and charismatic.
With filmmaking this epic, intelligent and emotional, belongs among the stars.
NathonasDec 8, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible vision and creativity in this film. That is ultimately why I love watching films so much - I want them to make me think, and go to places I've never been before.

To get some things out of the way - yes, this film is very similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I wouldn't say it is as good. There are small weaknesses which keep it from being a perfect 10/10 on my list, but it is still one of the best sci-fi movies.

The plot seems to be very well written for the most part, especially the science. You can tell they did their research. The use of scientific concepts like gravity and time distortion (or w/e you call it) was very unique and cool, and I really like that we got a glimpse inside a black hole - of course we don't know what is really inside, but its cool to explore one possibility.

There were some small things I didn't like - for example, I still don't know how I feel about the concept of "love" as some space/time transcending force - it sounded a bit cheesy. But on the whole this film dazzled me with its scope and creativity.
AlmightyzentacoNov 9, 2014
Amazing movie. The art direction and cinematography was fantastic. It reminded me a great deal 2001: A Space Odyssey. A lot of time is spent setting tone, and artfully describing the environment - which helps with the overall mood ofAmazing movie. The art direction and cinematography was fantastic. It reminded me a great deal 2001: A Space Odyssey. A lot of time is spent setting tone, and artfully describing the environment - which helps with the overall mood of thoughtful contemplation.

And while the overall plot may be grandiose and reaching at times, the story itself remains very human and centered.

One of the better films I've seen this year. I highly recommend it.
Jack_SunshineSep 2, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Interstellar came at the end of 2014 to give us a Christmas blockbuster worthy of leaving our warm hearths for. Some films excel at spectacle, and this really deserved to be seen on the biggest, loudest screen possible, so count yourself lucky if you managed it.

The film is a science fiction epic, but it’s not an outlandish fantasy. Forget Avatar. Has anyone watched Avatar recently? Interstellar feels grounded in possibility with ideas full of personal conflict and universal philosophy. The story begins some fifty odd years in the future on an Earth devastated by crop blights. The world is becoming a barren dustbowl as humanity struggles to feed itself.

Our hero is Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) a widowed former pilot turned farmer who ekes out a living with his father-in-law and two children Tom and Murphy. The film does well to establish this world; a parent-teacher meeting where children are denied a college application so they can become farmers and an early action sequence where Cooper salvages a downed Indian drone for parts hint at the environmental, technological and geopolitical situation of this future world.

The main narrative starts when a mysterious signal leads the ever inquisitive Cooper to the remnant of NASA, helmed by Cooper’s old professor Dr. Brand (frequent Nolan-collaborator Michael Caine) who offers him the chance to join a secret mission to find a new homeworld for humanity. A wormhole has been discovered near Saturn which leads to a system of potentially habitable planets orbiting a supermassive black hole.

Here begins the struggle and the decisions Cooper and his family must make. Should humanity continue to fight the losing battle on Earth, or abandon it? Should a man leave his family for the future of humanity, or live out what life he can with them, as best he can on a dying world? At the heart is Cooper’s relationship with the daughter he leaves behind (Jessica Chastain) and her struggle to forgive him as she grows up to become a scientist herself. The relationship is paralleled with Brand’s daughter Amelia (Anne Hathaway) who joins the mission to look for something else among the stars.

Christopher Nolan is a twenty-first century auteur and his films are always ambitious, complex and engaging. Even if that ambition is sometimes stretched, he never shrinks from a bold idea. But it’s not just a philosophical narrative. While emotional through and through, the film also explores its conflict through gripping action and spectacular visuals, and its pioneering attitudes through the inclusion of cutting edge scientific thought.

Okay, so you don’t have to understand every part of the physics; some artistic licence has undoubtedly been taken for the sake of story or spectacle, but we’re here to watch a movie, not a lecture in theoretical astrophysics. The result is that the characters not only explore foreboding new worlds of ice and oceans but deal with the vaguely realistic implications of exploring wormholes and black holes, such as time dilation and intense space-time-warping gravity. This is used to great emotional effect; imagine communicating with your family at home when hours of your time is years of theirs and your messages can ‘only’ travel at the speed of light.

It’s enough that theoretical physicist Kip Thorne was present as a consultant to know we’re in safe hands. Thorne collaborated with Carl Sagan on the latter’s novel Contact, which became a film in 1997 and dealt with the communication between a father and daughter across the void of space and also happened to feature Matthew McConaughey in a supporting role.

Interstellar seems like a spiritual successor but stands on the shoulders of another giant, that unforgettable epic journey to the edges of the solar system and beyond: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968); although that film’s astronaut Dave had no family keeping him on Earth. It’s worth mentioning here that the cubic robots that assist on the mission are markedly less homicidal. The robots have been brilliantly realised with inventive simplicity as real puppets played by actors and not CGI.

The effects as a whole are a cinematic experience; the spaceship blasts through the void to ludicrous organ overlays and emerges overlooking the black hole, a magnificently realised singularity of ultimate light and darkness simulated using Thorne’s mathematics. Then a moment of peace, all the more accentuated after the volume, allowing us to ponder the ‘gravity’ of the situation in more ways than one.

My only word on the film’s ending is that it comes very close to undercutting Cooper’s sacrifices by letting him have his cake and eat it, but after the mind-bending finale, we’re on board enough just to go along with the ride. The word ‘stellar’ is sometimes used to describe something of an extremely high standard, but it’s hard to say now without sounding like you’re quoting Stanley Kowalski. It’s time for a change, so this film gets full marks because it was Interstellar.
UndyingOneNov 12, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Interstellar was nothing short of a spectacle... a grandiose experience of epic proportions. It explores concepts no movie has ever explored before, and fleshes them out exceptionally. The movie has multiple moments of unmatched intensity, like when Mathew McConaughey's character Cooper must dock his ship onto a rapidly rotating space station, or when the Crew of four, including Cooper and Anne Hathaway's character, Dr. Brand (plus a couple somewhat unremarkable characters) travel through a worm hole into the unknown. The main characters are sculpted well and detailed, and the characters are somewhat relatable and their wonderful acting gives a good sense of realistic emotion shown. Although the movie takes a bit to get started (the initial take-off sequence was decently boring) and a few of the characters fail to be interesting, the movie was overall fantastic. The ending sequence was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in a movie since Nolan seems to think like me. Only difference being, I imagine someone looking across time pictured as a bubble, rather than a sprawling plane of individual time periods spread out in front of you. Nontheless, a must see. Especially if you liked Gravity, Contact, or any other space movies. In fact, any Nolan fans out there should see it as well, as it has a heavy theme of human emotion and reaction to odd situations, found in other Nolan films like Inception. Seriously, go see it. Expand
GigiLaTrottolaNov 12, 2014
Simply incredible, mind-twisting and mind-blowing. Space scenes are realistic and Christopher Nolan really wanted the audience to feel inside the movie, to be part of the journey. There are indeed a few minor flaws (I would be stupid not toSimply incredible, mind-twisting and mind-blowing. Space scenes are realistic and Christopher Nolan really wanted the audience to feel inside the movie, to be part of the journey. There are indeed a few minor flaws (I would be stupid not to admit it) but it doesn't matter, this movie still deserves a 10 for everything it offers. Expand
JipaDec 7, 2014
THIS movie is great and the best of 2014! The actors were good and so was the plot. However the movie lost me at the black hole part. I understood it but it was just too weird. So no 10 only 9 ;:3
adpirtleJun 20, 2015
Interstellar is a film about, above everything else, humanity's need for exploration. It's hard to miss this fact, what with all of Matthew McConaughey's monologues on the topic in the film's first half hour or so. The blighted, dying futureInterstellar is a film about, above everything else, humanity's need for exploration. It's hard to miss this fact, what with all of Matthew McConaughey's monologues on the topic in the film's first half hour or so. The blighted, dying future Earth is practically a metaphor for its navel-gazing population, so blind to the fact that they're literally farming themselves to death that they actually rewrote the history books to discourage wasteful wanderlust. So it comes as little surprise that explorers are the ones plotted to save the species in spite of itself.

However, getting past the heavy-handed setup is worth it, because once the crew of Interstellar's interstellar vessel takes off, so does the movie. The visuals are always great and sometimes amazing. The care with which the film's universe is rendered is apparent. Kip Thorne, Interstellar's science adviser, really earned his paycheck here. The actual science is less perfect, but if you can ignore all the hand-waving at the beginning and ending of the film, the rest might actually teach you a thing or two.

It goes without saying with a cast like this that the performances are all solid, including an unexpectedly disturbed turn by Matt Damon. Christopher Nolan shoots this film in signature stylistic fashion, and his musical right-hand man Hans Zimmer provides a suitably rousing score. The ending is more than a little derivative, but it serves.
tvnewsguidoNov 8, 2014
Is "Interstellar" a significant cinematic achievement? I don't know. I do know it's the best "hard scifi" thing I've seen in a while.

I loved this movie. I will admit though - there were times I envied the crew their stasis pods for skipping over some of the longer, less interesting, stretches of the trip.
ScottshakNov 12, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not long ago, I watched a featurette with excerpts from the movie Interstellar, which showed the gargantuan amount of work and sweat Nolan brethren, Kip Thorne and others put in whilst exploring the behaviour of a black hole. The crisp attention and the minute details they did not overlook flabbergasted me beyond limit. So hopeful was written all over my head. And Nolan never disappoints.

Strewn with science, this movie not only takes you on a joy ride, it educates you as well. The concept of space-time singularity pervades throughout the flick as we witness a superb simulation of a black hole, and it doesn't stop at just that. We go into it. Yes, through the eyes of our protagonist for the first time, we witness a distinct theoretical world that has found pragmatism. An impeccable representation of Tesseract with threads of time.

The best thing about Nolan is the enormity of the project he takes. The script is so beautifully written that it rivets you right from the start. The concept is like magic, a miracle happening in a distant galaxy. As the story unfolds it makes you feel as if you are getting closer to finding answers to our existence finally. The plot however has something else in store for you. And it is a big fat blunt satire on our loneliness. We are alone and all we have is each other. That is the penultimate truth.

Wormhole was never explored like this before. How time plays tricks on you, powerful representation of anomalies, the wickedness of human mind when left alone in despair(that #Damon bit), how the music of nature (the rain, the thunder and the cricket chirping noise) makes you feel home, the conundrum of our purpose, the humour of TARS, the physics that touches almost every part in the flick, the poetry of the brave and wise through Dylan Thomas's words, superb lamenting conversations, and the brain-wrecking revelations in the end - every little detail has been exemplified with proper logical explanations and shown on a platter of sensations.

Emotional surge is strong, and with a power pack performance by McConnaughey everything uplifts. Bits of a father-daughter melodrama are the most feeling kind. Shatters you from the inside, as you empathize with the protagonist's tears. Zimmer touches your heart with his profound score. Notes are so brilliant that they put you right into the flick. This too would sit amongst Zimmer's best works.

It is one of the most ambitious projects that would be remembered in impending debates for the intricacies it touches and the science it explores. Nolan is certainly one of a kind director, a great gift to mankind, a wise man who wouldn't go gentle into that good night. Kudos to yet another mammoth achievement!
dangerfarNov 12, 2014
Interstellar is a spectacular viscerally and emotionally powerful sci-fi movie-going experience that demands full immersion. Like all Nolan's movies, its strongest qualities are a uniquely thought-provoking and grand plot with a centeredInterstellar is a spectacular viscerally and emotionally powerful sci-fi movie-going experience that demands full immersion. Like all Nolan's movies, its strongest qualities are a uniquely thought-provoking and grand plot with a centered emotional heart peppered with poignant one-liners that force the audience to question the world and their place in it. Also like most Nolan movies, its weaker parts are comprised of somewhat contrived and sloppy dialogue and questionable pacing. Some have expressed distaste with the amount of exposition as well, however I am less inclined to fault a movie with such large and far reaching ideas for packaging these ideas in a way the audience will at least to some degree understand. In a 3 hour movie you don't have the time to fully flesh out ideas naturally that may be completely foreign to the audience, thus heavier than normal exposition is needed to make sure the they are properly strapped in for the ride.

The audiovisual experience of Interstellar (especially on an IMAX screen) is bar none. Perhaps only Avatar and Gravity could be said to be on a similar plane, but given the great attention to scientific detail of the subject matter here and the fact that recreating Black and worm holes has actually given rise to breakthroughs is studies on the subjects puts Interstellar in a league of its own.

The story is as ambitious as they come for this day and age. There has not been, and is not likely soon be, another movie of this scope and originality in a blockbuster format (with A-list actors performing at their best and a nearly $200 million budget). Detailing more would be a disservice (though at this point you've likely read more elsewhere), but suffice to say it is truly exciting that a movie like this could be made.

Like most things, what you get out of Interstellar will likely come from what you expect out of it. If you're looking for plot holes you'll find them (though debate could rage on for days about whether they're really holes or can be explained by current or possible future science). If you're looking for constant hi-octane action you won't find that here. If you're expecting neatly put together dialogue and characters you're likely to be disappointed, because that's not what Nolan's about.

Interstellar, like his other movies, is about stretching what a movie going experience (and indeed reality itself) can be. It is best viewed with an open and contemplative mind and wide eyes and ears. It offers a glimpse of the universe we've not previously perceived, and it can spawn threads of thought that otherwise may not have found footing while taking you on a grandly entertaining narrative journey. If that is valuable to you, then Interstellar will offer up one of the best movie-going experiences that can be had.
morswinNov 23, 2014
Very good sci-fi movie. Comparable to Space Odyssey, but much more appealing to today's reality of space travel. Diverse plot, and current action over multiple locations. Might seen a bit spread out and confusing, yet keeps attention to theVery good sci-fi movie. Comparable to Space Odyssey, but much more appealing to today's reality of space travel. Diverse plot, and current action over multiple locations. Might seen a bit spread out and confusing, yet keeps attention to the very end.

However I have to subtract 2 points because of authors making science their b****. It is ironical especially if we put it against the movie plot. Make a 100% accurate move, or 0% like Star Wars. Pretending to be accurate, stating on law of physics and braking it in the next scene is really silly to watch.
TheRocksBarneyNov 12, 2014
“Interstellar” is truly an epic, not in the sense of what we initially think of as an epic, for example “Ben Hur” or perhaps even “2001: A Space Odyssey” (a film which it is worth pointing out I haven’t seen), but more in the sense of how“Interstellar” is truly an epic, not in the sense of what we initially think of as an epic, for example “Ben Hur” or perhaps even “2001: A Space Odyssey” (a film which it is worth pointing out I haven’t seen), but more in the sense of how when I think back to “Interstellar”, I think of those visually captivating shots of black, of the unknown and of those desolate landscapes made of water and ice, and how I found myself in awe of them. It is these that come to define “Interstellar”.
Set in the near future, Earth cannot sustain humanity anymore, and it’s worth praising Nolan’s subtle view of it, be it seeing the New York Yankees playing on an amateur field or discovering that the Apollo missions were faked to bankrupt the Soviet Union, which Cooper (played by Matthew McConaughey) denies. This scene, whilst allowing for a sense of character development in regards to Cooper, in retrospect seems to be Nolan emphasising how he sticks to the traditional elements of film and he does so more than ever in this film, from building several rooms of a spaceship from scratch to using five industrial fans to create a dust storm, thus attributing even more of the credit for the film to him.
Yet as I expected, it proves very difficult for members of this all-star cast to break through both the visually stunning shots and the label of Christopher Nolan, and be noticed. Only McConaughey succeeds in doing so, although Mackenzie Foy (playing a young Murphy) and Bill Irwin (voicing the robot, TARS) deserve mentions, as does to an extent Michael Caine (playing Professor Brand) and his recital of Dylan Thomas’ “Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night”, although I still don’t entirely understand its inclusion, leaving big names such as Casey Affleck (playing Tom) and even Jessica Chastain (playing Murphy) “down in the dirt”.
Interstellar is a quintessentially Nolan film, meant to be seen on IMAX, imposing those classic Nolan themes of love and family whilst asking questions that I have not seen asked before, in this case winding up the scientists, although it is interesting to note that Nolan answers them by playing with several theories, instead of just getting the science completely wrong, as is so common. Yet the film is so Nolan that it takes that extra unnecessary step that Nolan always has present in his work, be it taking the audience to Limbo in Inception or by adding the twist of Miranda Tate (played by Marion Cotillard) turning out to be Talia al Ghul in The Dark Knight Rises.
Before I conclude, I think it is important to make this point in regards to Nolan and his (future) works. He has begun, whether he means it or not, to dwarf his own cast and to an extent his own themes and his commitment to traditional film elements. The amount of hype that goes into his films is widespread and if he isn’t careful, his future works could take a turn for the worse.
As I have already said, Nolan always takes that extra unnecessary step, one that I don’t think I would be so sympathetic with if it was another director, yet the brilliance of what comes before it makes up for it, often leaving me in that No Man’s Land of whether the film was worth 9 or 10 stars.
HaZeDProPH3tNov 9, 2014
Nolan takes you on a journey of beauty and serenity, travelling the vast depths of interstellar travel with undertones of reaping emotion and intensity, it's a a nearby perfected masterpiece. Driven with ambition, and with the backbone ofNolan takes you on a journey of beauty and serenity, travelling the vast depths of interstellar travel with undertones of reaping emotion and intensity, it's a a nearby perfected masterpiece. Driven with ambition, and with the backbone of such a stellar cast and nail biting dramatic score, Interstellar could potentially be this year's biggest movie and is expected to rack up a couple of Oscars in the process. Expand
josiahspencerNov 13, 2014
This is another classic Nolan film. It was extremely well acted and well written. Of course, with any film this ambitious, some things are not going to click with some viewers. The concepts in this film are often unbelievable, but that'sThis is another classic Nolan film. It was extremely well acted and well written. Of course, with any film this ambitious, some things are not going to click with some viewers. The concepts in this film are often unbelievable, but that's the point. Some confusing story lines could have been better defined, but any sci-fi fan can enjoy this film. Expand
GoldenjokeredNov 23, 2014
Interstellar is a spectacle, it combines raw emotion with the extreme sights of space travel. The plot of the film is simple, Matthew Mcconaughey must travel through a wormhole with Anne Hathaway and his crew into another galaxy in order toInterstellar is a spectacle, it combines raw emotion with the extreme sights of space travel. The plot of the film is simple, Matthew Mcconaughey must travel through a wormhole with Anne Hathaway and his crew into another galaxy in order to find a new home for mankind, as the planet is dying. Cooper (Mcconaughey's character) must choose to leave behind his young children in order to possibly save them from having a terrible future, due to lack of food and dust storms. The science is fairly spot on, and tries to explain the properties of black holes, worm holes and gravity to the viewer, in order to understand what is going on. The visuals in this film are superb, along with the audio, although at times the audio did seem a little off early in the film during the scenes on earth.

The one thing that really grabbed my attention, was the original design of the robots on the spacecraft, TARS and CASE. Robotically I have never seen a design similar to theirs, the way they walk, control things and help the humans is truly amazing. The acting is strong throughout, however some may find the use of sentiment and certain emotional scenes to be possibly cheesy or over the top in some cases. Overall a great space epic, about emotion, family, science and sentiment that leaves you leaving the cinema in awe.
wtfskilzDec 12, 2014
Very enjoyable film that actually is worth the 10$ ticket.
Excellent cast, sophisticated ideas and plot.
After nearly 3 hours of watching this film I was still begging for more.
IIIMuerteIIIDec 8, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of, if not the best movie I have seen in 2014. I don't mind that they are quite liberal with their scientific explanations. Who cares? It is not meant to be ralistic, it is meant to be entertaining and hell it was.
The only thing that was too hollywood was the cheesy "love travels time and space"-thing. The movie would have worked completely without this pseudo deep message. Anyway, it was a great movie and recommand to anyone who enjoys scifi drama.
If you are looking for a scientifically accurate documentation like space movie, you are wrong here.
andrebarrosoDec 19, 2014
For "Interstellar", Christopher Nolan had inspiration on Stanley Kubrick's "2001 - A Space Odyssey", and gat's it just okay. A human story about science, relationships and love. Nolan mix all these three ingredients and gets "Interstellar".For "Interstellar", Christopher Nolan had inspiration on Stanley Kubrick's "2001 - A Space Odyssey", and gat's it just okay. A human story about science, relationships and love. Nolan mix all these three ingredients and gets "Interstellar". It's beautiful, superb and extremely realistic. All those years of research about gravity, worm holes and black holes were worth it. The second time you watch this movie, it will be better then the first one. Enjoy the ride. Expand
Tateranator2Dec 30, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I, personally, found this movie breathtaking. I will not try to impress anyone with Webster's Dictionary cited words, unlike many of these reviews. This movie was thoroughly thought out and must have taken a great deal of creativity and research. A large deal of the negative reviews for this movie are pointing out scientific "inaccuracies". I can understand how someone who strongly believes in a certain theory may dislike the claims this movie, but those claims are what make this movie wonderful. Space is impossible to truly comprehend, No human has ever been through a wormhole, nor inside a black hole therefore they cannot judge Nolan's theories of these things for they can only attempt to dispel them with theories of their own. Expand
OtakutacoJan 2, 2015
This movie was slow, but because it was well written and had good sound design and special effects, I'll let it slide.This is a mst see for any sci fi fan out there
ajarias96Jan 8, 2015
Visually it's stunning, but the space epic that is Interstellar just doesn't stand up, to not only other great films of the genre, but to the films in the repertoire of Christopher Nolan. The concept is complex but just doesn't leave theVisually it's stunning, but the space epic that is Interstellar just doesn't stand up, to not only other great films of the genre, but to the films in the repertoire of Christopher Nolan. The concept is complex but just doesn't leave the viewer asking questions for months to come. The run-time is indeed very long but isn't what holds the movie back. The performances by the cast including the incredible Jessica Chastain and Oscar winners Mathew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway are great but not as memorable as one might expect except for maybe Mconaughey. It's complex and emotional and has a great meaning but just not there with the classics, similar to Nolan's last effort The Dark Knight Rises its enjoyable and is definitely worth watching but just doesn't hit the bar that is where we know a Nolan film can go. Expand
emlugo123Feb 27, 2015
The visual effects are astonishing! It was so glorious to look at! However, I found the plot to be confusing at times but the father/daughter relationship was really well done and I was emotionally invested in the two.
Termin8terMay 26, 2016
Interstellar is a great movie with an interesting plot, amazing soundtrack, and a mind-blowing ending that made the movie for me. The movie is set in the far future, when earth is suffering from a massive scale crop blight, and corn is theInterstellar is a great movie with an interesting plot, amazing soundtrack, and a mind-blowing ending that made the movie for me. The movie is set in the far future, when earth is suffering from a massive scale crop blight, and corn is the only crop that grows anymore. NASA Pilot whose name I forgot, is sent to the deep vacuum of space to find a planet that Humanity can repopulate on. The movie is very gripping and the soundtrack is excellent. Watch this movie now. Expand
bigtunaonfilmApr 19, 2015
This was an extremely enjoyable movie, but it was not perfectly made. The biggest flaws lie in the acting. Matthew McConaughey looked like he was having a stroke every time that he cried, and when Matt Damon cried, it was also veryThis was an extremely enjoyable movie, but it was not perfectly made. The biggest flaws lie in the acting. Matthew McConaughey looked like he was having a stroke every time that he cried, and when Matt Damon cried, it was also very unrealistic. I also did not enjoy some of the visual effects, as some (like the docking sequences) looked like kids playing with toys. I really also feel that the ending was sort of rushed, like they were getting too close to three hours, so they had to cut it off. There are many positives to this film, however. Jessica Chastain, who I do not usually enjoy, delivered a really good performance. The score by Hans Zimmer was amazing. I also loved some of the scientific explanations given. I did not see a lot of the twists that came in the plot, and that is unusual. Overall, this enjoyable film has its flaws and strengths, and deserves a watch from everyone. Expand
roman_emperorApr 25, 2015
Power, emotional, and philosophica - this film is very creative. It may not work around all the egdes, but it's definately worth watching. However, it's not an explosive, high adventure, type of movie. It's an emotional melodrama that mayPower, emotional, and philosophica - this film is very creative. It may not work around all the egdes, but it's definately worth watching. However, it's not an explosive, high adventure, type of movie. It's an emotional melodrama that may leave you wanting to cry at the end, especially if you understand how strong a father, daughter relationship can be. Expand
WollmilchsauDec 27, 2016
One of the best movies I've seen. I've seen some very positive and some very negative ratings but after all, this is a movie I will never forget in my lifetime not only because of the soundtrack!
WSPHamiltonAug 23, 2015
Is this a sci-fi? A love story? An action movie? In Interstellar, Christopher Nolan combines all of these into a thrilling adventure across the universe to find the Earth a new home.
This seamless combination of a visually spectacular action
This seamless combination of a visually spectacular action movie, a father-daughter relationship stretched across the universe and an epic sci-fi makes Interstellar one of the most ambitious films in history.
This is without even mentioning the scientific attention to detail that Nolan, his team and Prof. Kip Thorne put into the screenplay. The theories which amounted to Interstellar's thoroughly engaging narrative were all remarkably realistic once you'd put your head around it, and any idea which seemed unfeasible at first was justified in the book that accompanied Interstellar's release.
Although the ending of Interstellar could be seen as inappropriate for the plot, you could just as easily argue that it was necessary for rounding the action off and making it appeasing for those whom find the Cooper's love for his children the centrepiece of the story. Still, it could have been better as an ending, but given that everything else in the movie is pretty damn awesome we can let it slide.
Nolan was aiming for Interstellar to sit amongst his favourite sci-fi '2001: A Space Odyssey', and they show many similarities in that regard. However, Nolan's ability to attract all audiences and mould genres together to form a beautiful, engaging story which remains both challenging (in a good way) and interesting throughout puts Interstellar at the forefront of science fiction movies to date. It becomes one of those movies that sticks with you for years; and I hope it has the same effect on others it did on me.
SL36Nov 12, 2014
Thank God for Christopher Nolan. It's been so long since I've left a theater with the sense of wonder, awe, and excitement that this movie inspires.

Take yourself to the movie, leave the plot point busting and science fact checking for the others, sit back, and enjoy a truly original and emotional experience presented by a genius.
Movi3R3vi3werNov 27, 2014
What a beautiful, enthralling epic Interstellar is. This was my most anticipated movie of the year and despite other reviews being mixed or mixed to positive I believe this to be one of the best movies of the year! Christopher Nolan hasWhat a beautiful, enthralling epic Interstellar is. This was my most anticipated movie of the year and despite other reviews being mixed or mixed to positive I believe this to be one of the best movies of the year! Christopher Nolan has created another masterful film and a movie I will not forget anytime soon. Expand
gokuleNov 16, 2014
This. Is. The. Movie. Of. The. Decade.
I was getting a little skeptical about the end, but they pulled it off.
Amazing effects, story, characters, everything came together perfect.
BanskelNov 12, 2014
One of the best films I have ever seen in my life. This movie should be rated a lot higher than the given score it currently has. After watching this film, I can now die happy.
BilalNov 16, 2014
Through wormhole to an Exoplanet and falling into a black hole. Epicness at Its best. Nolan did the job again and proved himself. Awesome Story and Plot, direction is best, And the characters are amazing. Best sci fi movie in which everythingThrough wormhole to an Exoplanet and falling into a black hole. Epicness at Its best. Nolan did the job again and proved himself. Awesome Story and Plot, direction is best, And the characters are amazing. Best sci fi movie in which everything is explained in so much detail. A must watch! Expand
arkcossNov 17, 2014
This movie show the danger and beauty that awaits us at the same time. Consequences that are inevitable. Written and directed very good - a high level. Emotions border with a very good sense. I suppose that the film gets low ratings fromThis movie show the danger and beauty that awaits us at the same time. Consequences that are inevitable. Written and directed very good - a high level. Emotions border with a very good sense. I suppose that the film gets low ratings from people who do not understand some of the issues of modern science and think that this is fiction - here you are wrong. The film is an artistic vision that humankind will follow having so many misunderstand on Earth ;) Expand
BigZNov 10, 2014
Interstellar, taking sci-fi by the throat and giving us something we have never seen before and doubtfully ever will again. I followed this movie since I knew it was in production. I have grown to have great confidence in Christopher NolanInterstellar, taking sci-fi by the throat and giving us something we have never seen before and doubtfully ever will again. I followed this movie since I knew it was in production. I have grown to have great confidence in Christopher Nolan and his abilities as a director, and as a writer, not to mention his brother who helped him with this one. Quite ambitious to make a movie about a worm hole, even more so that the human race depends on what is on the other end for survival. My mind was blown, such a large scale with very rich and deep emotion for each character. The grandeur and the detail supersedes anything I've ever seen before. Just when you think this movie is a little too tame, it flips you over. Isn't as structurally sound as some of his others, but this is flat out incredible. Only the best of the best can take these components and make a movie out of it. And not just a movie, a great movie. Worth a watch. Expand
mkpedigoNov 9, 2014
Everything about this movie is of high quality: the acting, story, visuals, music, etc. By far the best science fiction movie I have ever seen. A very pleasant surprise out of Hollywood where the normal sci-fi is a bunch of people or aliensEverything about this movie is of high quality: the acting, story, visuals, music, etc. By far the best science fiction movie I have ever seen. A very pleasant surprise out of Hollywood where the normal sci-fi is a bunch of people or aliens running around shooting colored beams at each other. Interstellar is a tremendous work of art and, as a bonus, a good showing of the consequences of general relativity. Expand
bonerjams03Nov 10, 2014
One of the best movies of 2014 and one of my personal favorites. The acting was great and Nolan did a great job with the directing and writing. People complain that it was too long, but I never noticed the length because I was so engrossedOne of the best movies of 2014 and one of my personal favorites. The acting was great and Nolan did a great job with the directing and writing. People complain that it was too long, but I never noticed the length because I was so engrossed the entire time. 10/10 would watch it again. Expand
rocny451Nov 13, 2014
Even though the plot of Interstellar is very straight forward I was very delighted as the depiction of the science in the film. Granted the film makers took several liberties to promote good story telling but overall it was done very well. IEven though the plot of Interstellar is very straight forward I was very delighted as the depiction of the science in the film. Granted the film makers took several liberties to promote good story telling but overall it was done very well. I have read other reviews addressing the middle portion being slow and boring but the producers of the film had to describe what was going on to a very broad general audience. The average person on the street will not "understand" what the producers are trying to illustrate for a fairly complex concept. The depiction of gravitation lensing on the black hole was very well done. This film is not typical popcorn fair and it makes you think long after the lights come back on in the theater. There is a lot going on with this film on several levels and was a joy to view. Expand
popcorn456Nov 15, 2014
pits the best movie I have watched for a while. It makes you think about the future and the universe differently and I walked out of the theater with an entire different prospective on life. Great movie and must watch
shadow47Nov 17, 2014
A fantastic, thought-provoking film with an original story. Not a second in this film is short of thrilling, not to mention the magnificent, operatic score. To top it all off, this film has the aptest and profoundest recitation of "Do not goA fantastic, thought-provoking film with an original story. Not a second in this film is short of thrilling, not to mention the magnificent, operatic score. To top it all off, this film has the aptest and profoundest recitation of "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas--really gripping! I highly recommend this film. Expand
Iky009Nov 21, 2014
Nolan nos da um presente de ficção científica incrível, tanto na sua parte visual como em seu complexo enredo, e também há algumas referências ao clássico 2001 - Uma Odisseia no Espaço.

O filme é incrível e vale muito a pena.
CayleRoseNov 24, 2014
This movie made me cry. I don't cry. The story went on and on and never got boring. I loved watching it, so much suspense. Loved it loved it loved it!!
RiptydeNov 18, 2014
Interstellar is one of those rare movies where I was truly suffering from a case of sensory overload. The science has been, for the most part, back up by scientists. Neil DeGrasse Tyson compliment the movie and he said he enjoyed it greatly.Interstellar is one of those rare movies where I was truly suffering from a case of sensory overload. The science has been, for the most part, back up by scientists. Neil DeGrasse Tyson compliment the movie and he said he enjoyed it greatly.

The humor is brief but truly sits with you for awhile and the laughs you have are genuine. From is time on Earth to is time in Space, it's a ride I didn't want to get off.

The first planet was the most unique take on a planets ocean system that I've ever seen be done in a movie. Remembering that this planet was near a blackhole with massive gravity only led me more towards the amazing things that were happening on it.

The special guest actor was fantastic, and I won't spoil anything, but you have never hated a man and ever felt more for a man in your entire life.

The second planet was impressive as well, but we didn't get to experience it as much as we did the first planet. It was still memorable. I plan on seeing this movie many more times before it's out of the theater, I love it that much.

This movie gets very emotional at times where the main guy, Coop, must leave his daughter behind. There are two story lines going on, with one being the most focus. Even I, a man that likes to think he doesn't cry often, teared of every time they did.

The final scene involving Coop with someone very special, was the most emotional part of the entire movie for me, I thought I was going to break down.

10/10 will see again.
captaincrabfaceNov 26, 2014
I feel this is a masterpiece and one of the best science fiction movies ever made. I was expecting something turgid and nonsensical reading some of the reviews beforehand. I'm so glad they were wrong.

How this film didn't score twice as

How this film didn't score twice as highly as the overrated thrill ride of Gravity I will never know! The plot and subtext of Gravity could be written on a beer mat. Intestellar is weight sci fi tome. An ode to wonder, time and love. Don't listen to the ridiculous berks who slate this film. I can only assume Nolan has reached the point of saturation where it's become fashionable to hate him.

This film has it all - the ambition to show other worlds in a way we've never seen before, womholes, massive black holes, mile high tidal waves, dazzlin space vistas, and at the centre amazing performances by all the actors involved, especially McCaugnehey. It's also a film that means something, with a a complex and deep message about the human instinct for survival, ingenuity and the current threat to our planet. Oh and some of the best onscreen robots since the Star Wars droids.

I can understand that some people who know nothing about physics, or who don't want to think and want answers on a plate might not like this film. It's closest to 2001 but in my opinion much better. Don't expect Guardians of the Galaxy. If you like serious sci-fi. philosophical films that will linger with you, or have ever dreamt of the stars, you must see this film. I'm seeing it again tomorrow.
KENXAVIDec 8, 2014
Well directed, great visual effects, and filled with amazing performances, this is a beautiful film with a complex, original plot with your typical Christopher Nolan plot twists. Nonetheless, this is a film that cannot be missed. It's trulyWell directed, great visual effects, and filled with amazing performances, this is a beautiful film with a complex, original plot with your typical Christopher Nolan plot twists. Nonetheless, this is a film that cannot be missed. It's truly one of the best films of 2014. Expand
JohnKristoferDec 25, 2014
What an Amazing Movie! Interstellar is really good and very entertaining.Christopher Nolan is really A good Director from The Dark Knight Trilogy Then Inception and finally Interstellar.
theofficeNov 15, 2014
I really liked the overall concept of the movie. I was essentially constantly on edge and wondering what the next steps would be. The movie came together really nicely in the end. Sure there are things that don't make scientific sense and ifI really liked the overall concept of the movie. I was essentially constantly on edge and wondering what the next steps would be. The movie came together really nicely in the end. Sure there are things that don't make scientific sense and if you think too hard (e.g. how can humans travel through a worm hole but not find a better way to grow food, or what is the background of the Earth's deterioration, etc) then the film becomes less of what it sets out to be. So in that regard some things could have been ironed out. But really you don't see this type of movie everyday. It is of very very high quality and I enjoyed it very much. It has a long run time but really doesn't feel long at all. Acting was amazing. Characters are very believable with great stories each and they are easy to get emotionally attached to. And again the underlying plot is extremely interesting and well done. Highly recommend. Expand
Compi24Nov 9, 2014
Sure, Nolan's massive sci-fi epic is an imperfect film with its off-beat structure and stuffed-to-the-gills plot. Though it is also a masterful achievement in the artistic field of film, with impossibly memorable imagery, a haunting centralSure, Nolan's massive sci-fi epic is an imperfect film with its off-beat structure and stuffed-to-the-gills plot. Though it is also a masterful achievement in the artistic field of film, with impossibly memorable imagery, a haunting central performance from Matthew McConaughey, and a truly impactful thematic premise. Simply remarkable. Expand
Mamau234Nov 9, 2014
The movie was amazing! Was disappointed with TDKR, and didn´t have big expectations for Interstellar, but I was totally blown away. The ending was a little bit simple but its still the best movie I have seen in years.
shpreaNov 8, 2014
Frankly I'm speechless. With a metascore of only 73, I was expecting nothing more than just a fun sci-fi film. I was so wrong; it blew me away. The first two hours of the movie are entertaining, sure. However, there is a point where the filmFrankly I'm speechless. With a metascore of only 73, I was expecting nothing more than just a fun sci-fi film. I was so wrong; it blew me away. The first two hours of the movie are entertaining, sure. However, there is a point where the film goes from great to unbelievable. The ending in particular is amazing, rivaling the endings to classic films like "2001: A Space Odyssey".
Just go see it.
miezardNov 9, 2014
Interstellar is a mind-blowing movie. It slowly opened up my mind & my heart.At the beginning it was literally boring, but as you sit down and try to understand the journey,you're actually exploring.This movie makes me feel 'exploring'Interstellar is a mind-blowing movie. It slowly opened up my mind & my heart.At the beginning it was literally boring, but as you sit down and try to understand the journey,you're actually exploring.This movie makes me feel 'exploring' throughout 3 hours of the movie. Besides, it also emphasized on the family relationship, looking through your children's eyes when you're a parent. It might be seen as a complex idea, but it worth the time of watching it. Again, Hans Zimmer made a tremendous job on affecting the emotion, the music makes it alive. Expand
DuckNationNov 11, 2014
Christopher Nolan's Interstellar is a awe-inspiring, powerful, and thought-provoking film that leans heavily on the human emotions. Now of course people will compare this to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A space Odyssey and why i do thinkChristopher Nolan's Interstellar is a awe-inspiring, powerful, and thought-provoking film that leans heavily on the human emotions. Now of course people will compare this to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A space Odyssey and why i do think Interstellar is an amazing film i don't think its on the level of Kubrick's 2001 but while others see this as a bad thing i don't and i wish that wasn't something people judge the film by.

Interstellar opens up in the near future on a dying earth which cannot sustain life for much longer with food becoming scarce and frequent major dust storms it's reminiscent of the 1930's Dust Bowl only worse. The film follows Cooper (McConaughey) a former NASA test pilot and engineer who is now a farmer that lives with his daughter Murph, his son Tom, and his father-in-law Donald. This is where we spend the first 30-40 minutes of the film that serves as the set-up for things come and while nothing really amazing happens here this is where the film builds on its emotion of love with Cooper and his daughter which ends up being the whole underlining theme of the movie. I can understand why people don't like the whole "love theme" of the movie but to those people i want to know if they even understand the movie itself?

Now after using a wormhole or should i say the sphere-hole the group which consists of Amelia (Anne Hathaway), Romilly (David Gyasi), Doyle (Wes Bentley), and TARS a walking, talking, pillar-like, robot thingy they find themselves searching 3 earth like planet to see which one is habitable. On the first planet they show off time relativity which was a really cool thing but this was where i had my first problem with the film, that being the pacing of it. Alright so basically for every hour they spend on this planet 7 years will have passed on earth and of course after something goes wrong on the planet some of the group gets stuck there for what seems like 20 minutes but in fact is like 4-5 hours so in total they end up spending almost 24 years on that planet and that's my problem with it at no point did it feel like they were on that planet for 4-5 hours maybe 2 or 3 hours at the most.

Now i wont go into much more into this as it will be giving away key parts of the story and i don't want to do that to a movie like this. I will say though that the ride doesn't end there and if anything it just keeps getting crazier and crazier for me the movie felt a lot like Inception by which i mean the different layers the film has. I'm not sure if others feel like this too i don't know maybe its just me but that does bring me to my next point. Just like Inception i feel like Interstellar will get a love it or hate it reception by this i mean since its like Inception people will end up finding its story too complex and hard to follow but for me i was able to follow this movie just fine even with all the scientific space talk it has.

Its visuals were jaw dropping to say the least i love how great Nolan gets his movies to look with filming on film rather than digital like most movies nowadays. Film gives you something different something digital has yet to offer it just sucks that more and more studios are trying to push digital because its cheaper and more efficient but its great that some of the best directors still around like Nolan, Scorsese, and Tarantino still love to use film lets hope it doesn't fade away with titans like them still using it. Now onto the Score by Hans Zimmer while i did absolutely love it i did feel like there was a bit too much of it being used in the film by that i mean i would have liked a few more silent scenes of the spaceship just spinning around with the earth in the background or when its just out in space something to give off that "there is no sound is space" feel but other than that the score was perfection. One more thing i was hoping for in the movie was that there were more scenes of stars, galaxies, and of just being in space in general, although the movie takes place in space a lot of it is spent either inside the ship or on a planet so you don't get that full immersed feeling but what we do get to see like the wormhole, the space-warp, and the few shots of planets, its just simply amazing to look at but i do understand that if they add those scenes it would only slow done a film that was already approaching 3 hours... still though i personally would have loved it.

The overall acting was solid but that's to be expected with so many great actors and with most already having worked with Nolan on previous films that wouldn't be an issue. Yes of course Matthew McConaughey does another great acting performance but thats nothing to be surprised by anymore the guy has seriously turned his acting career around but Mackenzie Foy's acting performance as young Murphy was something i was moved by she is quite a talented young actress for sure someone to keep an eye out for later roles.

Overall i give it a 9.0 I had a longer review but again cut short by meta
XerogamerNov 8, 2014
Hands down best movie I have ever seen. Interstellar was visually stimulating, emotionally captivating, awe inspiring, and intellectually brilliant. Christopher Nolan has out done himself, and the acting was superb, Mathew McConaughey's bestHands down best movie I have ever seen. Interstellar was visually stimulating, emotionally captivating, awe inspiring, and intellectually brilliant. Christopher Nolan has out done himself, and the acting was superb, Mathew McConaughey's best performance to date. I will admit the movie is a bit lengthy, topping off at 169 minutes. But with a story so complex and exhilarating, I don't see how it could have been done in a shorter period of time. Interstellar is everything we want a space travel movie to be-adventurous, dramatic, suspenseful, visually pleasing, and realistic. If you ever wanted to go up into space, interstellar can provide you with that experience. Expand
zeromus2003Nov 9, 2014
Christopher Nolan is GENIUS!! I knew I loved Inception and Batman: The Dark Knight Trilogy, but he has outdone himself with Interstellar. I recommend everyone see this film. Regardless of where you stand on issues such as these, this movieChristopher Nolan is GENIUS!! I knew I loved Inception and Batman: The Dark Knight Trilogy, but he has outdone himself with Interstellar. I recommend everyone see this film. Regardless of where you stand on issues such as these, this movie will make you think about the human race and its current trajectory in relationship to how we continue abusing the Earth and its finite resources. Do I think that an apocalyptic event is going to happen soon, I am not sure...only the Lord does. But I do realize that we as humans who continue to pursue life in a ultra over-consumerism manner are headed for some tough times if not already. Overall I think this movie will at least make you wonder what preservation of human life would take and whether we can reverse our destructive thinking. Expand
morganrNov 9, 2014
Interstellar, in every way, shape, and form deserves a full 10 out of 10. Not only is this movie one of Nolan's best pieces, but one of the best movies, I believe, ever made. The stunning cinematography, superb acting (McConaughey, you'veInterstellar, in every way, shape, and form deserves a full 10 out of 10. Not only is this movie one of Nolan's best pieces, but one of the best movies, I believe, ever made. The stunning cinematography, superb acting (McConaughey, you've done it again), mind boggling concepts, and heart pounding story line all work together to form this cinematic masterpiece. This movie will tear at your heart-strings, and make you feel for characters in ways you never imagined, considering their circumstances. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested: you will not be let down. Expand
flametail23Nov 14, 2014
This is one of the best movies of 2014 so far. The acting is great, the story is great and you really but into the relationship between Matthew and his daughter. This is a must see.
TheFilmFanaticNov 10, 2014
Interstellar is a sublime science fiction spectacle focused on the themes of humanity and survival. The cast is led by a standout performance Matthew McConaughey as Cooper, an engineer-turned-ex-pilot-turned-farmer-turned-astronaut, thatInterstellar is a sublime science fiction spectacle focused on the themes of humanity and survival. The cast is led by a standout performance Matthew McConaughey as Cooper, an engineer-turned-ex-pilot-turned-farmer-turned-astronaut, that deals with the struggles of leaving his family to save humanity. A surprising amount of emotion in this film as the characters deal with humanity, survival and loss.

The film was a bit disappointing with some occasional choppy, unnatural dialogue and underdeveloped characters, but the biggest concern was that of subpar sound mixing. A number of scenes had dialogue that was overpowered by effects and the music making it hard to understand what the characters were saying. Due to this it would be a travesty for this film to win the Oscar for Best Sound Mixing.

Interstellar is a thought-provoking, intellectually-stimulating story that uses a meticulous eye for scientific detail to depict worlds and concepts we have only dreamt of. Christopher Nolan creates a visual masterpiece reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey with its absolutely breathtaking cinematography mixed to an eerily quiet soundtrack to encompass the vast beauty of space. Although it has underdeveloped characters and somewhat subpar sound mixing, the overall film is an entertaining thrill ride into the deep, unknown parts of space. This is definitely a film to see in theatres to fully immerse yourself in the Nolan experience. Not the space movie we deserved, but the space movie we needed. Nothing less than an Interstellar night.
HumanInterfaceNov 9, 2014
Breathtaking cinematics, astounding acting, a musical score that puts you on the edge of your seat, and a journey into the science of the cosmos. This movie is simply amazing. For those that didn't understand the science surrounding theBreathtaking cinematics, astounding acting, a musical score that puts you on the edge of your seat, and a journey into the science of the cosmos. This movie is simply amazing. For those that didn't understand the science surrounding the movie, I feel sorry for you. It's time to pick up a book and/or go back to school. Expand
TomMillerDec 26, 2014
Wow! This is definitely a very epic movie. This movie is just perfect, I couldnt find anything that's bad about it. The story line 100% authentic and fascinating, the actors, the scenes, the sound are epic. After almost 3 hours I felt like IWow! This is definitely a very epic movie. This movie is just perfect, I couldnt find anything that's bad about it. The story line 100% authentic and fascinating, the actors, the scenes, the sound are epic. After almost 3 hours I felt like I could watch another 3 hours, I felt so exciting the whole length of the movie and had to watch it another five times. Just cant get enough of this master piece! Expand
MorgolosDec 31, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoilers: This is one of the best films I've ever seen. Intelligent, mind expanding, meaningful, with a lot to say about the human condition. IMO a better film that 2001, primarily to the fact that it gives you an emotional investment in everything you see.

I feel however compelled to answer the people who sneer that this film posits love as a physical dimension, Anne Hatthaway's character puts forward this desperate argument when she is clutching at straws to convince her fellow astronauts to rescue her partner. She is rationalising her emotional need in a way that she hopes will convince the other scientists, and they overrule her because it is quite clear she is acting irrationally - this is not spelled out for the audience - but you should not confuse the words of a character for reality. The film does not say that love is another (physical) dimension - the character does!

Secondly, the idea that it flawed because the world is save by love crossing dimensions is also incorrect - this is what is known as a metaphor! No "force of love" crosses the dimension. The father is talking about the human condition and meaning. People of a rationalistic and non-poetic disposition seem unable to grasp this and I've heard it said many times. If love saves the universe - it's because of the attachment (the bond) that he had with his daughter that makes her go back and try and solve the puzzle of the gravity anomaly (the "aliens" know this), she senses her father has something to do with it - it makes the anomaly meaningful to her. There is nothing supernatural about it, it's psychology and the parent / child bond. So perhaps love does save the day - but miraculously it is done in a plausible way.
xardas83Jan 8, 2015
( greetings from Germany sry for my Bad English) If you like Calm and sophisticated Movies watch it!!! The pictures that are shown are just amazing. The performance from every Actor is great. And the Story gives you something to thing about.
djniceyNov 22, 2014
This movie is fantastic, its really epic in scale and story, with a really intelligent and well executed plot. It is a long film, but I was engrossed for the whole film. The cinematography, special effects, acting and sound are all spot onThis movie is fantastic, its really epic in scale and story, with a really intelligent and well executed plot. It is a long film, but I was engrossed for the whole film. The cinematography, special effects, acting and sound are all spot on and it reminded me of 2001 in scale and sonically. I think the robots may be a nod to the black monoliths in 2001 helping the cast push further and further into space. If you're a sci-fi fan, don't miss this! It is a long film with quite a complex plot (that does hang together and doesn't fall apart like Gone Girl) and is one of the best films I've seen in years for the spectacle and pulling off a complex plot very well. Expand
JamesLDec 3, 2014
I thought this was the best film of the year. I knew within the first fifteen minutes that it had potential to soar and it did. The plot twists caught me off guard and the final hour was an emotional bombshell. I am a highly educated personI thought this was the best film of the year. I knew within the first fifteen minutes that it had potential to soar and it did. The plot twists caught me off guard and the final hour was an emotional bombshell. I am a highly educated person but I did not care if the science was accurate or not. Several times I had tears in my eyes as the emotional aspects of humanity powered through the scenes. I did not expect such a great movie. Expand
KrotosNov 12, 2014
Interstellar is similar to Avatar and Prometheus in that it's full of impressive visuals and epic music and high-concept dialogue and environments -- but not much else. All three of these movies commit the sin of trying to substitute aInterstellar is similar to Avatar and Prometheus in that it's full of impressive visuals and epic music and high-concept dialogue and environments -- but not much else. All three of these movies commit the sin of trying to substitute a setting for a plot, hoping that we'll be so blown away by the exotic universes they're depicting that we won't notice the thin storylines and unmemorable characters. There is no excuse for this: the greatest sci-fi movies, such as the original Star Wars trilogy, did not skimp on either setting *or* plot and are great for that reason. Sadly, it's been some time since such movies were regularly made. Expand