8.8

1. Feb 21, 2012
    My all-time favorite vampire film. A superbly scripted, beautifully shot and perfectly acted masterpiece. Call it a horror film or a period drama or a supernatural thriller... it doesn't matter. It fits all molds. It scares at a deep-down visceral level. It is a grown-up film about the dual-nature of certain life (or perhaps death) choices. What it is NOT is some idiotic,My all-time favorite vampire film. A superbly scripted, beautifully shot and perfectly acted masterpiece. Call it a horror film or a period drama or a supernatural thriller... it doesn't matter. It fits all molds. It scares at a deep-down visceral level. It is a grown-up film about the dual-nature of certain life (or perhaps death) choices. What it is NOT is some idiotic, throat-ripping, comic-book monster movie. Interview With the Vampire is a beautiful, sensual, frightening and memorable work of art. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is great, when tom cruise turns brad pitt and then everything just gets better and when you think tom cruise is dead he isnt he bit the interviewer who was interviewing brad pitt and i think theres going to be a number2 Expand
  3. Apr 5, 2012
    I don't care about what the critics say for sometimes they try too hard to play the 'harsh' and favour mediocres films instead. I trust the users much more. Personally, I believe this is a great vampire movie! Different! One of the best vampire movies ever! A classic on its own! This movie doesn't want to emulate 'Dracula', or pretends to horrify us. It goes beyond that! It was not justI don't care about what the critics say for sometimes they try too hard to play the 'harsh' and favour mediocres films instead. I trust the users much more. Personally, I believe this is a great vampire movie! Different! One of the best vampire movies ever! A classic on its own! This movie doesn't want to emulate 'Dracula', or pretends to horrify us. It goes beyond that! It was not just the scrip, but the performances were great too! I loved seeing Tom Cruise portraying a character that was meant to be dark natured, despiteful, amoral, and physically unpleasant, too, I mean totally odious! A nice change! Finally, I think is disappointing to see how harsh the criticism is. This is not a horror movie, nor it is a drama neither it is a thriller...is all of them and in a way none! Visually is outstanding! To me it is a 10! Expand
  4. Feb 7, 2013
    A man (Brad Pitt) who turned into a vampire way back in 18th century New Orleans tells his life (and afterlife) story to a skeptical modern-day journalist (Christian Slater) in novelist Anne Rice's unique take on the famed supernatural creatures of the night. Pitt goes into major details on how he became a vampire (thanks to vampire loon Tom Cruise in a wickedly wild over-the-top turn) andA man (Brad Pitt) who turned into a vampire way back in 18th century New Orleans tells his life (and afterlife) story to a skeptical modern-day journalist (Christian Slater) in novelist Anne Rice's unique take on the famed supernatural creatures of the night. Pitt goes into major details on how he became a vampire (thanks to vampire loon Tom Cruise in a wickedly wild over-the-top turn) and his run-ins with others like him (a very young Kirsten Dunst and a then-unknown Antonio Banderas). Opulently realized schizophrenic exercise that has a little bit of something for most audiences. Pitt is focused, Cruise is unbound and Dunst arguably does the work of her life. Director Neil Jordan (who is best known for films of similar style like "The Crying Game") knows exactly which buttons to push and when to push them. While flawed in many areas, "Interview With the Vampire" is still nevertheless a fun and entertaining venture that definitely has blood, teeth and wings. 4 stars out of 5. If you want to watch this movie visit http://www.viewster.com/movie/1192-15676-000/interview-with-the-vampire Expand
  5. DanniW.
    Nov 15, 2006
    Awesome!!!
  6. Sep 1, 2010
    Compared to the book, I found the movie's plot easier to relate to. It's a classic, one of the best vampire movies of all time, with so many great performances. Excellent.
  7. Sep 24, 2011
    The movie is surprisingly well made, containing a chronologically organized structure the audience can easily understand. A definite thumbs up and a good movie to watch for fun.
  8. TroyP.
    Jan 18, 2010
    I have never read the book, and a lot of the disappointment from critics seems to stem from the fact that some of the characters (especially Lestat played by Tom Cruise) didn't live up to the characters portraited in the book. But since I didn't read the book, I had no expectations coming in and found the characters to be very interesting. Their interactions are amusing and I have never read the book, and a lot of the disappointment from critics seems to stem from the fact that some of the characters (especially Lestat played by Tom Cruise) didn't live up to the characters portraited in the book. But since I didn't read the book, I had no expectations coming in and found the characters to be very interesting. Their interactions are amusing and complex. I think all the characters were very well done and that the movie had a great atmosphere. A great movie that all must see. Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2013
    Interview with a Vampire is a good-ol' vampire yarn. It's fun to watch and beautifully shot. Plus certain characters (like Tom Cruise's or Kirsten Dunst's) are unforgettable. Whilst a bit overlong and whiny (stop it Louie!), Interview with a Vampire is ultimately good stuff.
  10. Jun 9, 2016
    The artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired world this would be.

What I Personally Liked About "Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles": As with many great films, the acting is first and

As with many great films, the acting is first and foremost the thing to discuss. In the case of "Interview With the Vampire," there are two shining stars lighting our horizon. The normally super serious, stick-up-his-a** Tom Cruise allows himself to be loose and mischievous in this role and that chaotic playfulness suits him well. Also, for the second time in 1994, a successful long term career in motion pictures began for an ahead-of-her-age child star in the form of Kirsten Dunst (the other being Natalie Portman in "The Professional"). Kirsten steals quite a few scenes and displays a heady bravura beyond anything audiences could have expected. Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas, Stephen Rea and Christian Slater all turn in top-notch performances but they pale somehow in comparison with the two true stars of the movie. The film's retention of Anne Rice's unique literary style is another strong selling point. While not all of the finer details of the material have been carried over from her novel, the general tone matches Rice's work admirably. In addition, it doesn't apologize for its depictions of twisted sexuality and violent bloodshed. Rather, it revels in them and refuses to suffer for trying to please a wider audience by lessening the impact of its gruesome underlying themes.

What I Personally Disliked About "Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles":
    The same problem which troubles the majority of Neil Jordan's work permeates this piece as well: pacing, pacing, pacing. There were a few moments when I found myself wishing Jordan had stretched his cinematic wings and allowed his characters to breathe a bit. Often times it feels like there is a halting progression to the way the story unfolds and that makes it hard to fully enjoy the film. Another very big drawback is the inclusion of the song "Sympathy for the Devil" used during the end credits. I like Guns N' Roses. I really do. I just don't like their version of this song. It doesn't fit the film and feels like a big bit of pandering to the mainstream crowd; something the rest of the film avoids doing. It almost ruins the culmination of the film with its brazen banality. The original Rolling Stones version of the song would have sufficed; however I would have preferred to hear Elliot Goldenthal create another wonderful piece of gothic score.

My Overall Impression of "Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles":
    Even though this film tries to remain true to itself in the long run, there are a few slips along the way. A slight, semi-commercial sheen washes over the picture from time to time and this holds it back from being an ultimate vampire classic. Still, the macabre morality play we are presented with during this production, combined with the skilled acting performances, certainly elevates this movie beyond average status.

It is, however, a very satisfying film, and surely the first in a long franchise (it does, after all, bear the subtitle The Vampire Chronicles).
    A stronger plot engine might have drawn us more quickly to the end, but on a scene by scene basis, Interview with the Vampire is a skillful exercise in macabre imagination.
    When Interview with the Vampire works, it's as compelling and engrossing a piece of entertainment as is available on film today. When it falters, the weaknesses seem magnified.