Interview

6.9

1. ChadS
    Feb 4, 2008
    A choice was made to not shoot "Interview" on digital video because the filmmaker understood that the sparring match between Pierre Peders(Steve Buscemi) and Katya(Sienna Miller) was more theatrical than realistic. To shoot the journalist and actress' well-modulated dialogue on this overused filmic medium that hack filmmakers utilize as a short-cut to authenticate their imitation of A choice was made to not shoot "Interview" on digital video because the filmmaker understood that the sparring match between Pierre Peders(Steve Buscemi) and Katya(Sienna Miller) was more theatrical than realistic. To shoot the journalist and actress' well-modulated dialogue on this overused filmic medium that hack filmmakers utilize as a short-cut to authenticate their imitation of neo-realism, would have been a drastic mistake since "Interview" has the unmistakable ring of being scripted; its actors are indeed delivering lines. Katya's confession at the end of her interview redeems certain scenes we gauged in "Interview" as being entirely implausible. Sienna Miller has the tricky role of portraying an actress that will always be relegated to bad television shows and B-movies. Every time we don't believe a dramatic situation should indicate that Katya is acting. "Interview" feels completely staged, but that's the film's intent. Expand
  2. MaxL
    Jul 16, 2007
    An ugly movie overall. The shots, the dialogue, and the story. The acting almost made it worth seeing.
  3. JohnP
    Jan 21, 2008
    One of those that you have to be in the mood for. I'm glad I was because I was pleasantly surprised. Sure some of the plot was implausible and the editing suffered but both Miller & Busecemi overode all that. They played well off each other in this nasty little game of one-upman(woman)ship. Loved the ending, it made me giddy with guilt!! Made me want to see the original Dutch version.
  4. JefD
    Feb 10, 2008
    Good performances, especially from Sienna Miller, but essentially two empty manipulative people doing that which they do best. The dialog was a somewhat forced and the ultimate conclusion was as empty as the people who were destined to create it.
  5. KBrown
    Apr 16, 2009
    Sienna Miller was superb.
    Jul 11, 2007
    Disappointing and ugly.

To their credit, Miller and Buscemi engage the audience’s interest in what is essentially an extended conversation for an extraordinarily long time.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Afforded a comparatively rare chance to stretch out in a complex lead role, Buscemi is excellent.
    The result, though anchored mostly to a single set cleverly sectioned by hammocks, curtains, and a kitchen bar, is the least concrete and most artificial of Buscemi's films.