8.2

1. Nov 18, 2010
    The film repects the true story as expressed in Jon Krakauer's book. I can't overstate how good Emile Hirsch is as the lead. Every supporting actor plays their part to near perfection. Sean Penn is as good a director as he is an actor. The music goes really well with the film.
  2. Jul 3, 2011
    This is one of those rare films which leaves a profound impact on you. The beauty of the landscape, the compelling acting from all, the terrific music and Penns great work in the director/writers chair make the film as engaging as can be. It really makes you want to enjoy the simple things in life and get out there.
    spellbinding stuff indeed Mr. Ebert.
  3. May 6, 2011
    This film is painful to watch and, once seen, hard to forget. Both of the perspectives visible in the user reviews--McCandless as fool AND McCandless as visionary--inform Penn's directorial choices, from the retrospective structure of the film to its dense, emotionally complex episodes, each a gem of casting and ensemble acting. Emile Hirsch so inhabits McCandless that it's almost spooky, and, though the entire cast is strong, Holbrook and Keener give performances of exceptional sweetness and dignity. "Into the Wild" is, on one level, about a young man who starves to death amid abundance, and so is the story of an idiot. At the same time, it is the story of a man beginning to see the psychic and social costs of abundance and to yearn for a time when enough was enough, a true idealist who walks his talk. His tragic flaw is not his longing for vanished frontiers but his attempt to recreate them in his own mind, believing individual ignorance a fair approximation of their mysteries. Those who have lived in Alaska (or any extreme environment) may ridicule or condemn him, but McCandless grew up in Virginia, where nature is more pastoral theme park than "red in tooth and claw." Moreover, he is exactly the age at which many of us indulge in foolish, life-threatening behavior, as the cost of auto insurance for 20-somethings attests. What's sad is the waste: though his folly is more principled than the average youth's bender or car crash or fall from a Daytona Beach balcony, he doesn't get the second chance that most of us enjoy, the chance to learn, say, the difference between independence and isolation. Or--and this is for the users who profess simple amusement at the film--the difference between ignorance accepted as a cognitive stage and ignorance celebrated as a cognitive goal. Expand
  4. Jun 20, 2011
    Into the wild is a story of an inspired, adventurous young man who grows tired of societal customs and relationships around him as he sees them to be insincere and unnecessarily comfortable. He leaves behind the comforts society has offered him and begins an unpredictable, yet passionate journey into the wild. After many lessons learned from being so intimate with nature and it's habitants he learns that "happiness is only real when shared" making this expectedly cynical story a heartwarming perspective of the importance of intimacy with everything and everyone around us. Expand
  5. Aug 10, 2011
    I've seen this movie 5 times and it always gets me crying. The plot surely isn't original but the performance of Emile is deeply moving and makes every person who might have thought about breaking away lose some sleep over the affair. One of the best movies ever. Oh, and beautiful scenery, unforgettable.
  6. Nov 25, 2011
    I love the movie from the beginning with Eddie vedders music. the landscapes and the whole story of this young boy and his journey.
    I think many of us who like going into the wild and run from the cities are going to love this movie.
    Full of catharsis and wise advises
  7. Mar 10, 2013
    The other day I took a chance on the film Into The Wild and I was absolutely blown away by how powerful it was. It depicts the real-life events of Christoper McCandless, who disposed of his cash, assets and personal belongings and spent two years hiking around the American Southwest before heading to Alaska in search of a great adventure. This journey of self-discovery is both moving and inspiring on so many levels. Such an endeavour is often of no interest to anyone but the individual themself; however, this is a story that had to be told. In this day and age of motion pictures that overkill with CGI, have mundane plots, and no real heart, this film was a welcome breath of fresh air.

Director and adapter, Sean Penn, did a great job of transforming Jon Krakauer's words and depicting them onscreen. Yes, that's right, Sean Penn. I would have never thought I'd see him creating a screenplay so moving and heart-wrenching. This work is so far removed from anything I've personally seen him do in the past, but he did an exceptional job. He really focuses hard on the main character, Christoper McCandless, and the people he touches and inspires along his journey.

The movie can be a little slow-paced at times that's really the only negative aspect I took away from it but there's always something around the corner that lifts your spirits.

Anyway, I truly believe this is a film everyone should see at least once in their lifetime. I implore you to give it a shot.
  8. Jul 18, 2013
    What an incredible story. I never would of thought this was a true story untill I actually did research in to it and realised that all of it is infact true. It's one of those rare films that ALL people should see because no matter who you are, it'll have some form of positive impact on you. Brilliant summerization of things like happiness, freedom and materialism. Watch this film.
  9. Sep 13, 2013
    This is the best movie of 2007. Who cares whether or not it is faithful to the book. Judged on the merits of the movie only it deserves the highest rating
  10. Aug 27, 2010
    From the beginning, Into the Wild reels in the viewer in to an alternate form of thought. A mind-awakening tale with an ethereal aesthetic, cultivating freedom, escapism and human's most innate desires, it not only inspires but reaches in to the souls of those who allow it.
  11. Oct 11, 2010
    a beautiful movie filled with wonderful acting from the whole cast, but emile hirsh may have even his best for this movie, a must watch for anyone who wants to finish a movie and still be thinking about it days later.
  12. Nas
    Nov 15, 2010
    A mind freedom, wisdom and human nature is what this movie is about. The heart wants what it wants and nothing is going to stop it. A movie you need to feel.
  13. Aug 22, 2013
    There are many arguments, theories, stories and life lessons that surround the much divided opinion of Christopher McCandless, but as a film, Sean Penn has masterfully captured the essence and spirited nature of the young college student who gave up everything, or rather left it all behind. Penn, along with the captivating performance of Emile Hirsch, who portrays an individual who has all the answers yet doesn't seek to be questioned, many would say he was a spoilt kid who was proving a point, but its the relevance of his adventure that truly means the most, his impact on other peoples lives in the simplest form are inspirational and heartfelt.
    Christopher drops everything, including contact with his family, and goes as far as he can with his car and then hits the road, with the intent of reaching Alaska, his dream, his ambition but something he believes is where he will find solitude. His interesting interactions along the way with Rainy (Brian Dieker) and Jan (Catherine Keener), free-spirited hippies who reject society and welcome Christopher, who now goes by the name of Alexander Supertramp, with open arms. He begins to take on various jobs to fund his lifestyle and restock his dwindling supplies, the wild can be a harsh place, something our young dreamer finds out in Alaska, for all the beauty that there is to behold, irony can hit hard in the most heartbreaking of ways.
    Sean Penn, along with the masterful cinematography of Eric Gautier, who captures a landscape so beautiful, but out of control, they have created a film that is meant to reach out and pull you in, open your eyes and tell you a story that has many problems and character defects, but is ultimately an inspiring and engaging from start to finish, something that Emile Hirsch truly pours himself into, not showing a person who is running away, but a person who is free. He lives within the confines of his books, and we see various glimpses of his childhood, with a narration of the film from his sister (Jena Malone) who tells the viewer about her surprise at his lack of contact, something we do see the young man struggling with, but which he ultimately gives up on.
    The film is a statement, it isn't a romanticism of a man who stumbles into the wild to prove something to other people, he is there to find his own bearings, and wished that others would do the same, Sean Penn takes a neutral stance in his film wherein we realise the mistakes that this young person made, but we also realise the meaning of it all, with the closing moments of the film showing some of the finest skill in film, combining an accomplishment with tragic consequences, nature will always be unforgiving, but a story like this is hard to ignore. There is certainly no denying that Christopher McCandless/Alexander Supertramp was a unique individual, and this charasmatic and wonderful film encapsulates this from his comfortable home to his broken down old bus.
  14. Sep 5, 2012
    Everyone should watching this film. Have a rich acting, direction, photography and a poetic tom, make you think about the little things, the simple life. Although he died, he said a phrase that make all sense: "happiness is full when is shared".
  15. Nov 27, 2012
    best movie i have ever seen, this movie made me cry and not just chris, but other things like ron's life made me more emotional
  16. Nov 12, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, me parecio muy buena.Esta pelicula es emocionante, brillante en todos los aspectos, tiene una historia muy emocionante que hace que te entretengas mucho con la pelicula;tambien tengo que destacar la actuacion de Emile Hirsch.
  17. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A mesmeric adaptation of Jon Krakauer's fine non-fiction book of the same name, "Into the Wild" is directed by Sean Penn, who also penned (pun intended) its screenplay, about adventurer Christopher McCandless and his travels across America under the moniker "Alexander Supertramp", culminating in his death in the Alaskan wilderness.

While it may run a tad overlong, "Into the Wild" is nonetheless a soaring masterwork of survival drama, expansive and epic: simultaneously an illumination of nature's beauty and a harsh evocation of its cruelty. It is also richly, deeply human, unbinding McCandless' multi-faceted character and poignantly showing the lasting effect on those he left behind. The acting in "Into the Wild" is a fine assembly of performances, particularly William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden, who are brief but brilliant in their wrenching portraits of Supertramp's parents, and Hal Holbrook, whose sensitive portrait of an elder man whom McCandless befriends is even more heartrending in retrospect, as you realize just how deeply McCandless touched the lives of those he encountered on the road to his Alaskan Odyssey.

And Emile Hirsch as McCandless is fantastic, flawlessly embodying McCandless' earlier exuberance at being free to enact his fantasies of liberty in the wild, and then later his lonely, broken despair as he faces the onset of an emaciated, solitary death in the wild. McCandless' passing at the film's climax is such a raw, tragic scene, cemented by a moving hallucinated sayonara to his family.

Some accuse "Into the Wild" of romanticizing an foolish, inconsiderate whose fate was both pitiful and inevitable. I myself have conflicting views on McCandless. I'll leave you to make your own mind up about the man, but ultimately my feelings are aptly summarized by the American Film Institute: ""Into the Wild" celebrates the dreamer in all of us and the danger of dreaming alone."

Harrowing. Haunting. Unforgettable.

"Into the Wild" deserves to be seen.

Also, the book by Krakauer is great.
  18. Mar 29, 2014
    Into the Wild is a beautiful movie based on a true story about a young man's search for beauty and purpose. The scenery is breathtaking and while some may find the pace slow, I found it to be perfect. Besides being a masterpiece in modern film making, Into the Wild truly captures the beauty of the outdoors and the depth of the human soul. My personal favorite movie, though not all will adore this movie as much as I. Expand
  19. Apr 11, 2014
    Into the Wild is a great, great movie. It had great acting and a great score. And I love how the atmosphere starts out lively and free but slowly starts to feel lonely and isolated. It's an outstanding movie and I would highly recommend it, 7/8.

1. With all the narration and fits of slow motion, the movie seems like the work of a nervous chain-smoker. It lacks concentration--and with it, the potential for rapture.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Sean Penn delivers a compelling, ambitious work that will satisfy most admirers of the book.
    Into the Wild is a beautifully made motion picture and some of the segments (especially those with Hal Holbrook and those that transpire around "the magic bus" in Alaska) are powerful.