Intolerable Cruelty

5.5

1. BarryB.
    Nov 13, 2003
    Couldn't agree more with the nonprofessional critics. You know the ones like you and I who pay to see this crap. No chemistry at all between the two visons of pulchritude. Were they acting or playing themselves?
  2. CharlesH.
    Dec 8, 2003
    This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I think I laughed a total of 3 times. Halfway though it I asked myself "Am I supposed to LIKE any of these people?" All the characters were detestable. It's hard to get involved when I hate every character. I like most of the Coen Brothers films. But I'm wondering if a lot of the praise this movie is getting is because This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I think I laughed a total of 3 times. Halfway though it I asked myself "Am I supposed to LIKE any of these people?" All the characters were detestable. It's hard to get involved when I hate every character. I like most of the Coen Brothers films. But I'm wondering if a lot of the praise this movie is getting is because it's just fashionable to like whatever they put out. And I also need to say that Clooney's performance here has finally proven to me that he is probably the worst actor in Hollywood. Expand
  3. RalphR.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This is the worst movie i've seen in a while. it is NOT a coen bros. movie...they didn't write it! and really, how can you have a coen bros. movie without their signature characters and dialogue. its boring, its long, its unfunny, and i want my money back.
  4. ThomasS
    Oct 25, 2003
    Stupid, not funny.
  5. RichardS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    Sorry, not funny. Stupid is more like it. I go to the movies to be entertained not to see someone's genius. If you need to find excuses to explain a movie then the flick missed the mark.
  6. RobertH
    Oct 17, 2003
    Blah, Blah, Blah. Yeah, these are the Coen brothers! So what? This movie is ridiculous and a total waste of time. Sorry, but it is not funny; especially to those who have lived through the pain of divorce. In simple words, divorce attorneys are blood sucking maggots who derive their income from the suffering of the victims they allegedly represent. They incite, lie and embellish their Blah, Blah, Blah. Yeah, these are the Coen brothers! So what? This movie is ridiculous and a total waste of time. Sorry, but it is not funny; especially to those who have lived through the pain of divorce. In simple words, divorce attorneys are blood sucking maggots who derive their income from the suffering of the victims they allegedly represent. They incite, lie and embellish their victims to continue on while billing by the hour. In the end, the attorneys get it all. Not funny - just a very SAD commentary on real life! Expand
  7. Leslie
    Oct 24, 2003
    Painful subject that portrays women as baracuda's and men as stupid rich playthings who are on this Earth to have their toys taken away. Not funny at all. Very demeaning to both genders.
  8. JaredH.
    Oct 26, 2003
    Catherine Zeta Jones in one cute hottie. As for the movie it sucked. Did I mention the CZJ is hot?
  9. JanetT.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Not funny at all! Hell, I've been married and divorced 5 times already. I'm so sick of these money grubbing broads. Hell, I have the word annuity stamped on my forehead. Left the theater and dumped the date who brung me.
  10. Uter
    Feb 15, 2004
    This DVD deserves a zero b/c it forces you to sit through 5 minutes of ads everytime you pop the dvd in. That is just cruel to the people who shelled out 20$ to buy it (like me). It makes me really angry.
  11. EDH.
    Feb 23, 2004
    That is too high! The leads are ugly people. The characters are so far over-the-top that they are the equivalent of a magnum of champagne being poured into a thimble in one pouring. The facts are not applicable for any state, country or planet. No-Fault divorce exists in almost every state. Separate property (that which you receive from an inheritance) is never (unless you actively make That is too high! The leads are ugly people. The characters are so far over-the-top that they are the equivalent of a magnum of champagne being poured into a thimble in one pouring. The facts are not applicable for any state, country or planet. No-Fault divorce exists in almost every state. Separate property (that which you receive from an inheritance) is never (unless you actively make it so) the property of the other spouse. So in addition to being unfunny this movie was not credible. If the two stars had not agreed to do it it would have saved many some money and only the environmentalists would have a beef because of the waste of paper. Expand
  12. BarbaraW.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Boring and stupid. It is supposed to be comedy, but it was so inane and trite that it only become stupid, not funny.
  13. DennisP.
    Mar 21, 2004
    I still cannot believe that the normally reliable Coen Bothers had anything to do with this unfunny mess. Clooney and Zeta-Jones are fine, as is the rest of the talented cast, but nobody could have saved this bland, humorless script. Some scenes, like Clooney's speech at the divorce lawyer convention, are simply painful. When I see the Coen's names in the credits of a film, I I still cannot believe that the normally reliable Coen Bothers had anything to do with this unfunny mess. Clooney and Zeta-Jones are fine, as is the rest of the talented cast, but nobody could have saved this bland, humorless script. Some scenes, like Clooney's speech at the divorce lawyer convention, are simply painful. When I see the Coen's names in the credits of a film, I expect much, much more than "Intolerable Cruelty" delivered. Expand
  14. PatC.
    Apr 12, 2004
    Another Coen project that turns brillance into ineptitude. Spectacular start and presentation of characters in the zany Coen fashion. Proceeds to go over the top, asking us to cheer on the conversion of a lawyer into a human when his elevated testosterone turns on him. While the practice of law attempts to bring about justice and fairness, it is primarily the enforcement of sociopolitical Another Coen project that turns brillance into ineptitude. Spectacular start and presentation of characters in the zany Coen fashion. Proceeds to go over the top, asking us to cheer on the conversion of a lawyer into a human when his elevated testosterone turns on him. While the practice of law attempts to bring about justice and fairness, it is primarily the enforcement of sociopolitical assumptions. If this reality had been followed to the end, the Coens would not have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. In the end, like the law firm's senior partner, this film has no guts. The only insight the Coens had was refraining to turn this project into a holocaust by involving the children of divorce. Expand
  15. LarryL.
    Nov 10, 2003
    Two beautiful people to look at but they just did not mesh. The chemistry was simply not there. The satire was not funny. Sorry but I thought it was a bomb.
  16. BarryB.
    Nov 13, 2003
  17. CarolAnnC.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Intolerably BAD!
  18. Fantasy
    Oct 16, 2003
    Two big stars drawing a paycheck - nothing more, with a couple of predictable chuckles. Dumb, dumber and dumbest. If you must see it rent it as you will be disappointed.
  19. PaulaD.
    Dec 13, 2003
    Quite possibly one of the worst films of the year. Not funny in the least and the acting was terrible. Avoid at all costs.
  20. OnlySullivan
    Apr 29, 2004
    Simply intolerably boring.
  21. DavidD.
    Nov 11, 2003
    Sterile movie devoid of any chemistry. A waste of time and money. If you must see it, rent it.
  22. PaulA.
    Nov 29, 2003
    It just wasn't funny. Admittedly I'm not a chick flick person, but I felt it was overdone and very bland. Plus the whole idea of prenuptial agreements makes me angry. And Zeta Jones, she makes me angry too. Not sure why, she just does
  23. DeonT.
    Nov 29, 2003
    This was really a disappointing movie. Beautiful stars doing nothing. Not funny at all.

1. Reviewed by: Jean Oppenheimer
    The Coen brothers had a golden opportunity to make a darkly humorous, deliciously clever battle of the sexes, and they let it slip through their fingers. Instead, the duo... settled for a broad farce that is long on manic, cartoonish behavior and short on intelligence and wit.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    A thoroughly entertaining comedy about love, lawyers and fat divorce settlements. While a slight imbalance in the romantic formula stops it just short of truly soaring, the crackling dialogue and buoyant wordplay make this a delightful throwback to classic screwball comedies.
  3. Zeta-Jones is merely ravishing, but Clooney owns the film. Ordinarily best at sardonic, man's-man confidence, he strides through Intolerable Cruelty with fantastic screwball zest. To see Clooney tenderize, season, grill, and serve this ham hock of a role is to see an old-fashioned virtuoso in perpetual motion.