6.4

1. May 4, 2013
    I have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other thanI have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other than that, this movie had no real depth at all. The motives for the bad guys is not really evident, nor is the explanation of the extremis virus. One minute you have a glowing man turning into a bomb and the next you have 10 glowing guys who breathe fire and regenerate except when killed?!?!?!?! All the Ironman suits were cool but how they get to that point is pretty pointless. It was an ok movie, and probably better than the second one, but was more of a money grab than a great film. Expand
  2. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot didn't seem to click with this movie, as with the previous Iron Man films. The villains are always so underdeveloped or underused to the point of asking, who is Iron Man fighting? After ruining Whiplash who was perfectly cast, they completely ruined Mandarin. I'm not a huge comic buff but I know enough to realize it was done poorly. That doesn't make the review though, the movie as a movie just wasn't good regardless. The run time of two hours and fifteen minutes felt like four hours and thirty minutes. There were a lot of parts that just didn't seem to matter. Additionally, there was a lot of screen time of Iron Man not being Iron Man. Where Tony Stark would sneak around like beloved secret agent 007 but I felt it really didn't fit the character. Especially since it didn't make any sense as later in the film we discover he had fifty Iron Man suits waiting under his house. Instead he decides to fix up the 42 and fight the baddies in human skin. The reason I disliked him being out of the suit is because we know he isn't trained like Batman/Bruce Wayne, Iron Man is the suit. On the topic of things not mattering, Mandarin attacking Iron Man's home. We all know he has a huge ego and endangered those he loved but of course being a super hero movie, nothing significant happened. We see that suits are blowing up but later in the film Jarvis commands like fifty more that are unharmed. The hero of the movie is Jarvis, his AI Jeeves. And this begs the question, if those suits were dormant underneath his house, why didn't he just call upon them while he was stranded in Tennessee? I guess there wouldn't be a movie then, right?
    As far as the humor goes, I definitely found myself laughing at parts which was nice but it also took away from the overall weight and depth the movie might have been going for. Instead of trying to save a president who is dangling high above ground or his girlfriend from evil clutches, jokes are being made about being shot at, etc. Thankfully though, all the bad guys suffer from stormtrooper syndrome. So Iron Man, basically Jarvis though, can save the day woo hoo! In the matter of Pepper, her purpose was to be injected and dropped into the fire so that she could live the drop and the fire haha. Saw that one coming but seriously, I hated that. I guess I just want a movie where a bad guy doesn't keep the hero's GF around as a trophy or doesn't give a long speech about how they're the best and just shoots them. Anyway, I'm a bit upset I spent a whopping $25 for two tickets to a movie my girlfriend and I were just begging to be over so we could go about our merry way. For whatever reason, I thought this would be different from Iron Man 2 but I don't know why I thought that. If you look at it with total disregard for comic canon, reality (i know it's a super hero movie), and sense; it can be kind of fun. Definitely a rent in the future and not worthy of the shelf!
  3. May 4, 2013
    My heart is successfully broken. Waiting to see it at midnight at the El Capitan, I watched with anticipation as director Shane Black took the stage to introduce, joking about the silliness of the Fantastic Four films. I now see the irony. Did they spray excrement all over The Mandarin? Yes, but that pales in comparison to everything else wrong with this film. Huge plot holes, failedMy heart is successfully broken. Waiting to see it at midnight at the El Capitan, I watched with anticipation as director Shane Black took the stage to introduce, joking about the silliness of the Fantastic Four films. I now see the irony. Did they spray excrement all over The Mandarin? Yes, but that pales in comparison to everything else wrong with this film. Huge plot holes, failed character motivation/development, and just downright bizarre and/or silly pointless choices are all factors. Worst yet, it also somehow manages to nullify the very theme of the previous movies. I'm not sure how the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe would ever recover from this slaughtering of tonal continuity.

One word comes to mind: Why??? It's as if Shane Black decided to insert Iron Man characters into an old 90's action thriller comedy script he happened to have lying around, throwing in silly, plastic dumbed-down "bad guys" from G.I. Joe and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. So many of the characters are pointless or have terribly weak, if any motivation for behaving like they do. Even the magical bravado of RDJ couldn't save it, and that's saying a lot. Of course there are funny and clever bits and some slick and cool action, but when a film has all that and loyal fans are still sitting there not caring or invested at all whatsoever, it's a problem. In any case, Black clearly doesn't get it, and apparently no one saw fit to help him out.

I suppose it's possible you could enjoy it if you are able to look past all these flaws and can watch it absolutely out of context from the comics, the other Iron Man movies, and entire Marvel/Avengers franchise. If not...it's painful. Needless to say, I walked away with nothing to think but "What the hell did I just watch?" "Was this FOX's interpretation of Iron Man?" "Whedon, WHERE WERE YOU??" Unfortunately, we now know nothing is truly safe, not even in the hands of Marvel Studios themselves. It really is a shame. Feige and the Marvel gang have a lot of explaining to do.
  4. May 3, 2013
    This is a big disappointment, they totally ruined a beloved villain and a big slap in the face of fans. The movie has lots of issues, like why can the extremis infused bad guys damage Iron Man so easily, while Thor had issues with it... He is the god of thunder! And the action is mostly just Tony Stark messing about, some of it is good, but what we really want to see is Iron Man in action,This is a big disappointment, they totally ruined a beloved villain and a big slap in the face of fans. The movie has lots of issues, like why can the extremis infused bad guys damage Iron Man so easily, while Thor had issues with it... He is the god of thunder! And the action is mostly just Tony Stark messing about, some of it is good, but what we really want to see is Iron Man in action, and not remote controlled.
    Even the best action scene in the movie is not done by Tony Stark as the Iron Man, it is done by Pepper.... There are some good parts, the story is more personal and there is a kid in it that is not annoying for ones. There is lots of humor, even the worst part of the movie is still funny and the special effects are good. I did sit through the whole movie, but it is the first Marvel movie I doubt I would want to watch again, as there is nothing really re watchable about it.
  5. May 3, 2013
    This is what i love about america... so many people hate our country but love our movies, music, and video games. Well this movie is gold, i loved it from start to finish. it is true that the mandarin isn't like the comic book one but in the dark knight rises bane isnt either so yeah shut up! please see this amazing movie this weekend so it proves that iron man is the hero and king of theThis is what i love about america... so many people hate our country but love our movies, music, and video games. Well this movie is gold, i loved it from start to finish. it is true that the mandarin isn't like the comic book one but in the dark knight rises bane isnt either so yeah shut up! please see this amazing movie this weekend so it proves that iron man is the hero and king of the american box office Expand
  6. May 4, 2013
    I've never felt so cheated after watching that trailer. I realise that a trailer is not an abridged version of a film, but when I seen the trailer to Iron Man 3 it set a certain expectation for the Mandarin, for Tony Stark but it totally does not deliver at all, and to be completely honest I almost walked out at the end such was the ridiculous finale. When I got home I watched theI've never felt so cheated after watching that trailer. I realise that a trailer is not an abridged version of a film, but when I seen the trailer to Iron Man 3 it set a certain expectation for the Mandarin, for Tony Stark but it totally does not deliver at all, and to be completely honest I almost walked out at the end such was the ridiculous finale. When I got home I watched the trailer again and it;s like it was made for a different film.

If this is our first look at Phase 2 I'm concerned. Iron Man 3 shows franchise fatigue, it felt stretched, rushed, basically like a Brett Ratner film. Expect something more like Rush Hour than an Iron Man film.

Credit to Marvel for at least trying to concentrate on Tony Stark's inner demons, the problem for me was how the film presents that. Instead of intertwining the action and human (Stark inner demon) elements into a finely crafted whole film it is more like each element is fighting for screen time, at odds with each other. There is another problem with the parts where Tony is trying to get over his experience in New York (Avengers), Robert Downey Jr has so many wise cracks and laughs the serious bits come off as funny, and not in a good way. I think these problems are less about RDJ's acting and more with how Marvel has marketed Iron Man from the first film; as family friendly entertainment, not the darker exploration of an alcoholic come hero from the comics (but hey they can always reboot right?).

Now on to what they did with the Mandarin, I have no idea how they got Marvel to sign off on making one of Iron Man's greatest villains into a joke. I read that the Mandrin is to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman, but after watching this you would never know that. I've never witnessed such a disregard for a property and disrespect than what Marvel has done to this character and fans about what Fox does to X-Men? This is on another level of insult lol

A sorry excuse for a super hero movie, more an action comedy (Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour etc).
  7. May 3, 2013
    So Shane Black you hate comic-fans so much? Well... we hate you in return. Thanks for ruining our beloved hero with such an ease. I hope Marvel will never turn an eye on you. God damn it, Black. We are disappointed.
  8. May 6, 2013
    This is all FUN! Go in with that mindset. The action is there, the effects are top-rate, and the storyline is interesting albeit a little muddy in spots. Downey Jr. is superb as ever.....this is his finest performance of the series. Still though, there really aren't many surprises here. The action is of course amazing, but still I felt a little robbed with the unanswered questions I hadThis is all FUN! Go in with that mindset. The action is there, the effects are top-rate, and the storyline is interesting albeit a little muddy in spots. Downey Jr. is superb as ever.....this is his finest performance of the series. Still though, there really aren't many surprises here. The action is of course amazing, but still I felt a little robbed with the unanswered questions I had about a few plot holes. However, this is still a fun film and a good one to. You'd have to be a stiff not to enjoy it! Expand
  9. May 13, 2013
    Well how exactly were Marvel going to better the raging success and massive hit that was The Avengers? With Shane Black thats how.
    Robert Downey Jr. returns to Tony Stark land after saving the world from Loki’s alien army in New York, but that is exactly why he is having such a hard time. He simply cannot get round the fact that there are aliens and gods in the world he lives in. As he attempts to better his suit using several motions only with his arm, there is another very real threat in the form of The Mandarin, played by the fantastic Ben Kingsley.
    This guy is out simply to prove the point that he cannot be found, but that he can do very real damage to America. Tony struggles to separate himself from his suits to the point of having anxiety attacks when he thinks about the events of New York. Another shady character thrown into the mix is Aldrich Killian, played by Guy Pearce, he is attempting to put out is Extremis endeavour with the help of Stark. But as several events start to unfold, it is clear to Tony that not everyone is who they say they are, and Tony must pick himself up after an explosive incident at his home, and he must find a way to stop The Mandarin.
    Shane Black has simply revitalised the Iron Man genre after the disappointing second outing, in the directors chair and as a co-writer. He has brought to us a very humorous and clever film that simply goes in at full steam, never trying to better The Avengers, but showing that a brilliant story can be told along with sublime action sequences and character development that will never cease to amaze, with only one of the Avengers there.
    With quite a major but also hysterical twist, it will truly show the writing power of Black, who has made this superhero film his own, along with very interesting characters.
    Downey Jr. is on fine form yet again as our suited up hero, he begins to show true balance between his life as Iron Man but also his commitment to his girlfriend Pepper Potts, played again by Gwyneth Paltrow who has an expanded and very significant role in the third outing. Ben Kingsley has to be one of the highest points of the film, combining his unique take on a comic book legend and with a wonderfully bizarre tone of speaking that makes it all the better.
    James Badge Dale, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and also former director Jon Favreau are on excellent form, combining these extraordinary characters with a commanding story and spectacular effects, this really is a superb follow up in a post-Avengers universe, and the best solo Marvel film to grace the screen.
    You would be a fool not to treat yourself to this remarkable film, with enough one-liners to make it an excellent comedy, mixed with the spectacular action, and of course a post-credit scene that for what it symbolises is just fantastic to watch, don’t miss out on the third, but hopefully not the last solo outing for Iron Man.
  10. May 25, 2013
    IRON MAN 3

Iron Man 3 stars Robert Downey Jr., Guy Pearce, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley. Shane Black has taken over as the director instead of Jon Favreau in this installment of the series. This film starts out at a fairly slower pace than the previous two, but builds as it goes and keeps getting better. In this one, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is called upon by the
    IRON MAN 3

In this one, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is called upon by the public to deal with a sinister terrorist who calls himself Mandarin (Kingsley). At the same time, Stark struggles with extreme anxiety attacks as he tries to deal with the recent events of saving mankind from the other worldly villains in The Avengers.
    The acting was top notch. Robert Downey Jr. was great as always, and spends more time out of his Iron Man suit in this one than the previous two Iron Man films. Guy Pearce was a good addition to the series. He was a perfect villain and was fun to hate. Ben Kingsley, easily one of the greatest actors of our time, was amazing in this film. He will most definitely take you by surprise and his performance alone makes this movie worth seeing.

The action and special effects were great. The story, although slow at times, was interesting, had great comic relief and a big payoff at the end.

Go see this movie if you liked any of the other Marvel Comics movies such as Thor, The Avengers or the other two Iron Man movies. Whether or not you see it in 3D, you'll enjoy this one.

My grade for this film: A

Also, be sure to stay all the way through the credits.

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  11. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm pretty easy to please, and tend to like movies most others don't like, and movies most people do like. This was not one of those movies. They completely ruined the Mandarin, and the fact that Ben Kingsley was a complete hoax aside what was originally portrayed in the trailers reinforces the total disapointment that is Iron Man 3. They shouldn't have cast Ben Kingsley and his version of the "fake" Mandarin all together, and just ran with the burning orange bio-energy wielding Guy Pearce as the Mandarin instead. It would have had a cooler, less misdirecting feel with a better movie adaptation of a super villain.

The other, just as much if not more of a let down what how WEAK Iron Man was portrayed as in this movie. I know it's a typical comic book adaptation movie, where the hero deals with a new situation, gets the crap beat out of him/her, comes back and wins/saves the day/world. The whole movie Iron Man and Stark were like a joke, going through suits like toilet paper and getting crushed like tin cans. This is the SAME HERO that took on an ALIEN ARMY and a NORSE GOD, yet some freak science experiments are able to crush his suit like it's nothing?? This was all very underwhelming for what, in my opinion, wasn't even close to what an Iron Man movie should be like.

I hope he is better portrayed in the Avengers too, and my apologies to those who actually liked the movie, as I'm just stating my personal opinion in this review.
  12. May 4, 2013
    is a spectacular film technically, and what is the best interpretation of Downey Jr, c does not have a giant hole in the script, it would be the best film of the series Iron Man
  13. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When it comes to Iron Man, or any Marvel movie for that matter, I'm skeptical. They can be really good like: Spiderman; The Avengers and X-men or utter like Thor; The Hulk or Elektra. Iron Man to me is a mixed bag in that it can be good or mediocre. I personally disliked the first one and loved the second. What about this Iron Man movie how did it fair. I mean when we went to see it the tickets were sold out. Thankfully we wisely bought our tickets online unlike some people. Anyway the movie, was it truly the summer blockbuster we were waiting for? Was it truly a perfect movie like we had thought? NO! It wasn't, it really wasn't. Does that mean it was bad? Well no it was, OK. I won't completely spoil the story, but in my opinion it was an excuse plot that ties in with the Avengers movie(which by the way is referenced a lot in this movie). I really did not find the story very interesting, at all. Like I said, it is an excuse plot, there is nothing you can't predict, save for one scene. The slower scenes in the movie really offset the more action oriented scenes, to the point of being boring. I'm serious you are gonna be think can these people shut up and get to the action already. Oh by the way, I hope you like Deus Ex Machina's cause this movie has a metric ton of them. There were plenty of times where I went "oh Bull****". Robert Downey, Jr. reprises his role as Tony Stark Iron Man and as always he does an excellent job in this role. He really brings life to an otherwise lifeless movie. As always he really gets into character and has fun with it and in turn we have fun too. What about the other character? Well, for the most part, they kinda suck. Don Cheadle as James "Rhodey" Rhodes aka Iron Patriot(what a stupid name) is in the movie but barely does anything. Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts is just there to get captured, that's it. The kid, well I hate kids in action movies, so there is your answer .What about The Mandarin? Let me answer that in a question. WHAT THE DID THEY DO TO THE MANDARIN?!! The Mandarin has always been one of my favorite marvel villains, so when I learned he would be the main villain I was hyped. When he is revealed he looks and sounds awesome and in scene in the movie where we see how cruel he is, I thought I can't wait to see him fight. So disappointed was I, because HE'S NOT EVEN THE MAIN VILLAIN! What they did to such a cool villain was downright criminal and I know I sound like a crazed fan boy, but when I saw the real villain it was impossible to not be aggravated. Seriously the writers thought the villain reveal was clever, but it was so obvious to anyone who graduated 6th grade. So the story suck, most of the characters were lame, but what about the the action and effect were they at least good? Actually they were. The suit were pretty well made, granted I am well aware that they were cgi, but the get the job done. The action was definitely great even when Iron man didn't have his suit, he was still awesome. I won't give it away but the final action scene was one of the greatest things ever, however I can't help but feel Iron Man gets his ass kick just a little too much, but the scenes are still memorable. Finally let me warn you, do not sit through the credits! All you will get is a shameless, shoehorn cameo and the most insulting sequel set up ever! In fact it isn't even a sequel set up, because the writers thought it would be awesome to blatantly tell you that "Tony Stark will return" for another cash-in. Wow! you guys. With that being said the final score for Iron Man 3 is a 6/10 it's decent. The action and effect is what you came for and you get it. The movie also had genuinely funny jokes and like I said Robert Downey, Jr. is a joy in this movie as he normally is. However the other characters and story gravely missed their marks. Expand
  14. May 4, 2013
    Iron man 3 is a fun well filmed superhero move although at times the humor seems a bit much it almost never fails to make you laugh. The tone seems to be much darker than any previous marvel movie but it fits the place that Tony has to go. The one problem with the movie is the twist it had, comic book fans will not enjoy this twist I being one of them was able to get by it but really wishIron man 3 is a fun well filmed superhero move although at times the humor seems a bit much it almost never fails to make you laugh. The tone seems to be much darker than any previous marvel movie but it fits the place that Tony has to go. The one problem with the movie is the twist it had, comic book fans will not enjoy this twist I being one of them was able to get by it but really wish they didn't go that direction. Overall iron man 3 is great movie that may have one disapointing moment and too much humor it is still a fun great superhero movie to kick off the summer Expand
  15. May 5, 2013
    I

I

I loved this Movie, I cannot begin to imagine why some people are giving it such bad reviews, I loved the what they did with the mandarin and the flash back sort of thing at the beginning, and from what I hear from friends there is something interesting after the credits and because I was foolish enough to leave before they had finished I sadly missed it, so if you haven't been to see it yet, I recommend you do and that you stay until after the credits.
  16. May 12, 2013
    I thought the supposedly family film "Iron Man 3" is a dreadful effort and not much of a fun summer movie that I was expecting. From the smarmy performance of Downey Jr to the uninspiring story with its overkill of violence and sex and what can one say about that ridiculous ending. Well, at least you get a couple of well executed action sequences for your money but that is about all.I thought the supposedly family film "Iron Man 3" is a dreadful effort and not much of a fun summer movie that I was expecting. From the smarmy performance of Downey Jr to the uninspiring story with its overkill of violence and sex and what can one say about that ridiculous ending. Well, at least you get a couple of well executed action sequences for your money but that is about all. Not many campers coming out with a smile on their face on this one. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    Tony Stark spent about 15 minutes total wearing the suit. Marvel needs to stop letting the actors walk all over them with the "I want people to see my face" thing. This movie was called Iron Man. If I wanted to see some guy using gardening gloves modded with junk he got at Home Depot I'd watch "Home Depot Modded Gardening Gloves Man." The only reason I gave this a 2 and not a zero isTony Stark spent about 15 minutes total wearing the suit. Marvel needs to stop letting the actors walk all over them with the "I want people to see my face" thing. This movie was called Iron Man. If I wanted to see some guy using gardening gloves modded with junk he got at Home Depot I'd watch "Home Depot Modded Gardening Gloves Man." The only reason I gave this a 2 and not a zero is because the honor of being the worst movie ever goes to Superman Returns. Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    The movie isn't as good as the first Iron Man but better than Iron Man 2. Iron Man 3 has less humor and less action and it didn't follow the footsteps of the comic book story line, which is kind of disappointing. But on the other hand, I was entertained enough in Iron Man 3 with the dazzling visuals and good twists.
  19. May 8, 2013
    Not as good as the first, but leagues better than the abysmal second. It just feels a little hollow at times, and the huge action sequence at the end is just like every other comic book movie these days you get caught up in the antiseptic, metallic blur of it all, knowing that nothing is really at stake. The sequences with the kid are fun, and the various uses of the suits areNot as good as the first, but leagues better than the abysmal second. It just feels a little hollow at times, and the huge action sequence at the end is just like every other comic book movie these days you get caught up in the antiseptic, metallic blur of it all, knowing that nothing is really at stake. The sequences with the kid are fun, and the various uses of the suits are innovative. Stark is more interesting this time around. I'll compare this series to The Matrix series now. The first is excellent the second completely sucked, and the third is much better than the second, but nowhere near as good as the first. And if you haven't seen it, don't bother sticking around for the post-credits sequence. They mailed that sucker in. (Not nearly as badly as the new Evil Dead, however....) Expand
  20. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is the beginning of the new summer blockbuster movie with Marvel fans are participating for the new sequel. The first Iron Man was the original classic superhero movie, the second one did alright, but even though the moviegoers didn't appreciate the sequel, and of course third one was okay. The story takes place where Iron Man/Tony Stark fights over Mandarin to assassinate theIron Man 3 is the beginning of the new summer blockbuster movie with Marvel fans are participating for the new sequel. The first Iron Man was the original classic superhero movie, the second one did alright, but even though the moviegoers didn't appreciate the sequel, and of course third one was okay. The story takes place where Iron Man/Tony Stark fights over Mandarin to assassinate the president with his reinforce baddies. Robert Downey Jr. returns as Tony Stark known as Iron Man is planning to make a new magnetize costume to suit it up, but overall he needs to spend time with his girlfriend (Gwyneth Paltrow) in the holidays. The two main villains are Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) and Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) are making an evil plan to kill Iron Man and to kill the president, but not Mandarin its Killian. The action scenes are spectacular and the effects are well done, but the only two good parts in this movie was Iron Man saves the passengers from the sky and Iron Man faces Killian at the docks with full of Iron suits. I would say that Shane Black did very well with the action scenes and the effects are good, but overall the movie wasn't that spectacular like most other Iron Man movies or even classic The Avengers. My main problem is that characters are a little bit too much, the lines are off charted, and sometimes it’s okay to check out the action scenes. It just difference between Stark with his girlfriend, Stark get complain with the little boy, Stark didn't realize that his old girlfriend works with Killian, or even the villain like Mandarin was a goof ball pretending a bad guy and just a fraud actor, but it needs to rewrite the lines and the story needs to take it seriously. Iron Man 3 was okay, but not is much. Thumb Down. Expand
  21. May 19, 2013
    Never attains the dark toned ways it seems to want to achieve and takes some easy ways out but Iron Man 3, for all intents and purposes is good entertainment.
  22. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was pretty disappointed in the movie.

The whole Tony Stark inner turmoil thing really didn't ring true for me. I get the whole dwelling on "aliens really exist" thing, but it didn't really work IMHO. As well the use of the Mandarin really was disappointing. He could have been a really good evil character. Ben Kingsley could have absolutely nailed it if left to make the character his own.

As it was it was an OK movie. Watch it if you like the superhero genre, if not its not that interesting.
  23. May 11, 2013
    Overall I liked Iron Man 3. While I prefer the light-hearted tone of the original this one was pretty entertaining. Robert Dowry Jr. was entertaining as always, there was some good action, and the conflict was intriguing. While the film was nowhere near as good as Iron Man 1 it still managed to be entertaining. If you are sick of the superhero movies by now this one is not going to changeOverall I liked Iron Man 3. While I prefer the light-hearted tone of the original this one was pretty entertaining. Robert Dowry Jr. was entertaining as always, there was some good action, and the conflict was intriguing. While the film was nowhere near as good as Iron Man 1 it still managed to be entertaining. If you are sick of the superhero movies by now this one is not going to change your mind. However, if you’ve liked the previous ones I think you will like this one ok. Iron Man 3 is not as good as the Avengers or Iron Man 1 but still has enough entertainment in it to keep your interest. Expand
  24. May 5, 2013
    A very well made film with the kind of top-notch special effects as we’ve come to expect from these guys. I’m not going to get into the 2D vs. 3D debate but I have to say I did watch it in 2D and I can’t really see how 3D would have improved it. All the performances were excellent as usual with Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow taking top plaudits (for me anyway). I also have toA very well made film with the kind of top-notch special effects as we’ve come to expect from these guys. I’m not going to get into the 2D vs. 3D debate but I have to say I did watch it in 2D and I can’t really see how 3D would have improved it. All the performances were excellent as usual with Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow taking top plaudits (for me anyway). I also have to mention the young Ty Simpkins who plays a kid, Harley Keener, who befriends Tony when he’s ‘dead’. He played his part very well and we can only hope it leads to bigger things for the young man. I did enjoy this one though despite a rather complicated plot and the usual over-the-top fight sequence towards the end it’s definitely worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.2/10
  25. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is essentially exactly the same thing as the first two Iron Man films with new villains and challenges. In many franchises, this would be a bit boring, but seeing how Iron Man's franchise has plenty of money, smart dialogue, and Robert Downey Jr. always spot-on as Tony Stark. This film seemed to pick up more steam as it progressed, but there were too many points where I feltIron Man 3 is essentially exactly the same thing as the first two Iron Man films with new villains and challenges. In many franchises, this would be a bit boring, but seeing how Iron Man's franchise has plenty of money, smart dialogue, and Robert Downey Jr. always spot-on as Tony Stark. This film seemed to pick up more steam as it progressed, but there were too many points where I felt like the movie just didn't seem as interesting. The parallels drawn to the Avengers movie and the effects being felt by Tony Stark is just as interesting, if not more, than even Guy Pearce playing a great villain. Totally worth the money to see it in theaters, but I am going out on a limb to say this is the weakest of the three films for Iron Man. It's still good, but it just seems to lack a little of the magic the first two movies brought. Whether they continue Iron Man or not doesn't seem to matter right now as Avengers 2 is in the works, which will likely bring plenty of Iron Man/Tony Stark, so I'm okay with this being it for a while for a dedicated Iron Man film since it's not the end of Iron Man on the big screen. Expand
  26. May 22, 2013
    I don't read Iron Man comic books so I cannot comment on how faithful the movie is, but taken on its own I thought it was a decent film. It has a lot of ludicrous, over the top moments, however I can forgive that since it is based on a comic book. For me, it was so over the top that it had more of a comic book feel than some of the other Marvel films I have seen. The movie would fallI don't read Iron Man comic books so I cannot comment on how faithful the movie is, but taken on its own I thought it was a decent film. It has a lot of ludicrous, over the top moments, however I can forgive that since it is based on a comic book. For me, it was so over the top that it had more of a comic book feel than some of the other Marvel films I have seen. The movie would fall flat without Robert Downey's deadpan delivery, and there was nothing new in the plot that you haven't seen before other than the pieces of armor that automatically attach themselves to Iron Man. The 3-D and special effects were excellent and it was never boring. It was much better than the last installment. Expand
  27. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3. Bigger in every way than 1 or 2 but does that make it better? I'm not sure. The action and 3D special effects are brilliant and the story with a great twist is something different for a Marvel movie. Lots of great comedy as well, which is fitting with director Shane Blacks previous movies like Lethal Weapon. However I feel my expectations were too high after The Avengers whichIron Man 3. Bigger in every way than 1 or 2 but does that make it better? I'm not sure. The action and 3D special effects are brilliant and the story with a great twist is something different for a Marvel movie. Lots of great comedy as well, which is fitting with director Shane Blacks previous movies like Lethal Weapon. However I feel my expectations were too high after The Avengers which has set the super hero "bar" so high that Iron Man on his own just can't match. BTW the scene after the credits is not worth waiting for which sums up my slight disappointment. Expand
  28. May 8, 2013
    Really people thought this movie sucked! I suppose you think that Les Miserables was better? This is only the stupid fanboys spilling that stupid I really like this movie. It was a lot of action. the story was good and I was entertained all the way through. Tony Stark asked the question "Is it the man that makes suit or is it the suit that makes the man? I think we learned that from thisReally people thought this movie sucked! I suppose you think that Les Miserables was better? This is only the stupid fanboys spilling that stupid I really like this movie. It was a lot of action. the story was good and I was entertained all the way through. Tony Stark asked the question "Is it the man that makes suit or is it the suit that makes the man? I think we learned that from this movie. I also realized that there were people that didn't like the last Iron Man movie. I was not one of those as I loved it! Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    Iron Man 3 has amazing effects and fine performances, but the story is what drags it down. It starts off well, testing Tony in ways the audience hasn't seen anymore, but quick fixes to the plot make these elements cliched and underdeveloped. The twist with the villain also ruined the movie, especially because Guy Pearce was not a good replacement for the Manderin. All in all, Iron ManIron Man 3 has amazing effects and fine performances, but the story is what drags it down. It starts off well, testing Tony in ways the audience hasn't seen anymore, but quick fixes to the plot make these elements cliched and underdeveloped. The twist with the villain also ruined the movie, especially because Guy Pearce was not a good replacement for the Manderin. All in all, Iron Man fails to deliver anything worth watching, which is unfortunate after the success of phase 1 of Avengers filmed. Highly disappointed. Expand
  30. May 24, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is packed with action, it manages to remain impressive even after the Avengers, which is a feat in itself. It suffers from an uneven pace, but it also offers space to Tony Stark to be himself outside the suit. Ben Kingsley is nothing short of outstanding and he manages to make the "sacrifice" of the Mandarin worthwhile. The film also adds in a discrete commentary on politics,Iron Man 3 is packed with action, it manages to remain impressive even after the Avengers, which is a feat in itself. It suffers from an uneven pace, but it also offers space to Tony Stark to be himself outside the suit. Ben Kingsley is nothing short of outstanding and he manages to make the "sacrifice" of the Mandarin worthwhile. The film also adds in a discrete commentary on politics, something unexpected in a superhero movie. Above all, though, it was fun and funny. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 builds on the first film's political cynicism by suggesting that politicians and arms dealers dream up foreign policy crises to consolidate power and make money, but it doesn't develop this notion in detail, because if it did, the audience would tune out.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 3, 2013
    The action, directed by Shane Black, ranges from passable to interminable. The plot goes from clang to bang. Downey Jr. is still the best thing about this series.
    At least this time "Goopy" Paltrow gets to perform a few superheroics herself, along with enduring some heavy-duty torture that’s bound to please her haters — for whom the sight of the top of her face being peeled off in "Contagion" was like Christmas in July.