8.3

1. Apr 29, 2013
    This is Robert Downey JR's film. He is Iron Man and he is the thing that propels the film ok comic book film, to great comic book movie. Definitely watch this movie, especially if you want to get the most out of watching the avengers.
  2. Dr.C.
    May 7, 2008
    It-Doesn't-Get-Any-Better-Than-This! What a ride... This movie is the reason you pays yer money to see it on the big screen. Wow. And, in a weird way, the high tech world of Tony Stark doesn't seem so far fetched, considering it's a comic book fer cryin' out loud! Attention Robert Downey, Jr.: Stay sober, man... You are a fantastic actor & you pull off this anti-macho, It-Doesn't-Get-Any-Better-Than-This! What a ride... This movie is the reason you pays yer money to see it on the big screen. Wow. And, in a weird way, the high tech world of Tony Stark doesn't seem so far fetched, considering it's a comic book fer cryin' out loud! Attention Robert Downey, Jr.: Stay sober, man... You are a fantastic actor & you pull off this anti-macho, cool cat, hipster industrialist Big Time. Expand
  3. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the best superhero movies i've ever seen, but not the best. I like Downey and the character of him. I love this movie.
  4. CraigM
    May 8, 2008
    Am I crazy here, or did nobody else notice how crappy this movie was. Yes, Robert Downy Jr. is a good choice for the role but not when every line he has is some horribly cheesy joke. The robot banter also seems right out of the eighties. The romance between him and Paltrow is egregiously underdeveloped and the action wasn't even that good.
  5. RobC
    May 3, 2008
    The only good thing besides the effects is Downey!, almost the worst of Marvel comics.
  6. KenW.
    Jun 2, 2008
    A good movie to nap to during a Sunday afternoon matinee. Way over rated.
  7. LewisP.
    May 11, 2008
    This is basically 'Robocop' updated to 2008. Except it's nowhere as good as that film. The '87 thriller is set in the future with a semi-plausible scenario: the body of a murdered police officer is used to create a robot who still retains traces of the dead man's memories. The core of Iron Man is totally implausible: set in the present time, the iron man (played This is basically 'Robocop' updated to 2008. Except it's nowhere as good as that film. The '87 thriller is set in the future with a semi-plausible scenario: the body of a murdered police officer is used to create a robot who still retains traces of the dead man's memories. The core of Iron Man is totally implausible: set in the present time, the iron man (played by Robert Downey Jr.) must prance around with some kind of magnet implanted in his chest cavity, preventing shrapnel from puncturing his heart. Then, he invents an iron suit which enables him to fly at supersonic speeds and kill terrorists without suffering serious injury. Like Robocop, a computer interface is suggested inside the 'mask' of both superheroes; but in Robocop the hero is haunted by the memories of the dead man whose body was used to create him. There is no such internal tension in Iron Man. It's strictly a good guy-bad guy shoot 'em up. Downey plays Stark, the head of a large corporation which manufactures weapons. Stark is depicted as an arrogant playboy who takes no precautions when he travels around in a Humvee in Afghanistan. He ends up being captured by a local warlord and his crew of motley insurgents and realizes that they have been using his company's weapons to fight US troops. Now he suddenly has a change of heart and uses his skills (he's a genius!) to create an iron man outfit to escape the bad guys (they think he's working on a missile). When he returns to the US, he decides to utilize the prototype of the iron man outfit he created in Afghanistan to become a superhero fighting for good. A good part of the film is taken up with Downey designing the new Iron Man outfit; during the 'testing phase' he gets thrown against the walls of his laboratory numerous times (how exciting!). Finally, he starts flying through the air with this metal suit on and almost crashes when he goes too high up in the atmosphere and his suit gets frozen with ice (funny how he wasn't smart enough to invent some kind of deicing device contained on most commercial aircrafts). Terrence Howard (of 'Hustle & Flow' fame) isn't doing much hustling and flowing here in a do-nothing part as an army liaison officer for the munitions company. Similarly Gwyneth Paltrow, Stark's personal assistant, engages in a great deal of pointless banter leading to a non-romantic moment at the film's denouement. Jeff Bridges probably has the best part as Downey's partner in the multinational corporation who ends up betraying him and working with the warlords and terrorists in Afghanistan. But how did he so easily get past the alarm system or other security devices in Downey's home? You would think that breaking into a home like that wouldn't be so easy. In the end, there is the obligatory battle between the two machines (done much better in Terminator 2). Bridges looks ridiculous when he takes off his metal helmet and all you see is his face inside the metal contraption. I fail to see why so many critics gave this film good marks. It's strictly a film for uneducated teenagers who read comic books all day. It also serves to lull people in this country into a false sense of security vis-a-vis the terrorist threat. By creating an invincible 'Iron Man" who can easily mow down terrorists and bad guys, it makes us forget that the bad guys in real life are not so easily defeated. Case in point: 9/11. The only winners here are the actors who collected nice paychecks for participating in such a cheesy and worthless venture. Expand
  8. RaymondA.
    May 10, 2008
    I don't understand what people liked about this movie. Boring and stupid. Cool graphics can't make up for a sagging plot and horrendous storyline.
  9. DerS.
    May 17, 2008
    Plenty of expsnsive gadgets and state-of-the-art cg for the tech-and-status-obsessed 14-year-old in us all. The dark underside of all of this sound and fury is the perverse idolatry of Hollywood Wastrel #1, Robert Downey, Jr., who is in essence playing himself, the bad boy who is more smug than ever for having gotten away with it after all these years. One of the most cynical products of Plenty of expsnsive gadgets and state-of-the-art cg for the tech-and-status-obsessed 14-year-old in us all. The dark underside of all of this sound and fury is the perverse idolatry of Hollywood Wastrel #1, Robert Downey, Jr., who is in essence playing himself, the bad boy who is more smug than ever for having gotten away with it after all these years. One of the most cynical products of our cynical age. Expand
  10. Gus
    May 3, 2008
    I thought the story was flat and marred by so many dull plot elements. If not for Downey's irrepressible personal traits that I suppose everyone wanted to be part of the character, there would be no one on screen worth bothering about. The robot is cool, there are a slew of fancy sport cars, the baddies are politically current and a bevy of hot ladies grace the screen. . . All the I thought the story was flat and marred by so many dull plot elements. If not for Downey's irrepressible personal traits that I suppose everyone wanted to be part of the character, there would be no one on screen worth bothering about. The robot is cool, there are a slew of fancy sport cars, the baddies are politically current and a bevy of hot ladies grace the screen. . . All the essentials are down. Expand
  11. MM.
    May 3, 2008
    The good: Great, great special effects and CGI. This can't be stressed enough. Great acting all around. The bad: Stale plot, predictable plot. Can you say "stereotypical middle eastern bad guys?" I gotta be honest: I'm not a huge comic book guy and this was the movie I chose to break my streak on. I'm wishing I didn't. This is just the usual Hollywood stuff being The good: Great, great special effects and CGI. This can't be stressed enough. Great acting all around. The bad: Stale plot, predictable plot. Can you say "stereotypical middle eastern bad guys?" I gotta be honest: I'm not a huge comic book guy and this was the movie I chose to break my streak on. I'm wishing I didn't. This is just the usual Hollywood stuff being churned out en masse as any original ideas have virtually dried up. Expand
  12. RonF
    May 9, 2008
    Even checking your brain at the door might not be enough to save this film. I got a free ticket and felt that was an over-charge. To be truthful, I did walk out half way through (around the time where Ms Potts pulls the coil out of Stark's chest), so it might have picked up from there. If you are gung-ho military, have racist attitudes towards Afghans and do not mind a very Even checking your brain at the door might not be enough to save this film. I got a free ticket and felt that was an over-charge. To be truthful, I did walk out half way through (around the time where Ms Potts pulls the coil out of Stark's chest), so it might have picked up from there. If you are gung-ho military, have racist attitudes towards Afghans and do not mind a very unconvincing script, see this movie! Expand
  13. MorganB.
    May 15, 2008
    I've never been a giant fan of Comic book movies, but I always seem to enjoy then none the less-as long as there decent:I'm talking to you Incredable Hulk. Though I don't quite have words to describe how wonderful this movie was-and how amazing Robert Downey Jr was. No one, absolutely no one could have played this character better. It's the best casting I've seen I've never been a giant fan of Comic book movies, but I always seem to enjoy then none the less-as long as there decent:I'm talking to you Incredable Hulk. Though I don't quite have words to describe how wonderful this movie was-and how amazing Robert Downey Jr was. No one, absolutely no one could have played this character better. It's the best casting I've seen since John Barrowman in Torchwood. Amazing story, fantasticly snarky, and the genious of Robert Downey Jr, who could ask for more! I saw it twice the first weekend:) Expand
  14. Sep 15, 2011
    The action and humor is amazingly strong and unnecessary to prove the movie that its worth more than the others; in the end, "Iron Man" is just a decent summer blockbuster.
  15. Aug 19, 2012
    It's an origin story minus the boredom. There's a whole lot of action, drama and humor that will keep you on the edge of your seats. Intensely exciting, you can't keep your eyes off the screen because any moment, something intriguing may unfold. Great script, great director, great actors, what more can you ask for?
  16. Nov 1, 2010
    Jon Favreau made some great effort in making this superhero epic hit with some talentive acting from Robert Downey Jr.
  17. GilbertL.
    May 12, 2008
    Run of the mill plot twists almost seem besides the point in this movie. The director/producers/screenwriters hit all the marks of a typical superhero movie, knowing that the movie will be a crowd pleaser.This movie feels as though it would have been fresh at least 10 years ago, but, as seen in 2008, the movie is somewhat dull. Robert Downey Jr's line readings and the banter between Run of the mill plot twists almost seem besides the point in this movie. The director/producers/screenwriters hit all the marks of a typical superhero movie, knowing that the movie will be a crowd pleaser.This movie feels as though it would have been fresh at least 10 years ago, but, as seen in 2008, the movie is somewhat dull. Robert Downey Jr's line readings and the banter between him and Gwyneth Paltrow are the most entertaining elements of the movie. Even the character of the villain is boring. If a movie of this sort doesn't have a strong, seemingly invincible villain, then what is the point? Expand
  18. RS.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Very strange film, very strange message - seemingly thus; man has epiphany that making weapons is wrong (regardless of it allowing him a billionaire playboy lifestyle). What does he do? Makes himself a new, more powerful weapon and starts warring again. Scratch the surface and it still brashly glorifies advanced weapons and war too (I thought in these Iraq war-years we'd all lost our Very strange film, very strange message - seemingly thus; man has epiphany that making weapons is wrong (regardless of it allowing him a billionaire playboy lifestyle). What does he do? Makes himself a new, more powerful weapon and starts warring again. Scratch the surface and it still brashly glorifies advanced weapons and war too (I thought in these Iraq war-years we'd all lost our appetite for such things. Seemingly I was wrong. Expand
  19. OliverC.
    May 4, 2008
    I want everyone to just hold on a second and think this through. Is this movie really what passes for good these days? It wasn't more than acceptable. The plot is moronic. I guess everyone just takes that for granted, but can't we maybe afford to raise our standards a bit? Downey Jr is just a sardonic james bond, complete with his own moneypenny and over the top gadgets.
  20. AntrossoI.
    May 8, 2008
    Overrated movie, just another solid action movie. Nothing more, nothing less.
  21. DWilly
    May 9, 2008
    Where previous American cultures made cinematic spectacle of the Bible or historical turning points, we, sadly, celebrate comic books. So, of course, this is thin. As you watch this your mind can wander... remember when Robert Downey Jr. broke into a house and went to sleep in some kid's bed... I thought at one time Terence Howard was going to be a good actor... did they approach Where previous American cultures made cinematic spectacle of the Bible or historical turning points, we, sadly, celebrate comic books. So, of course, this is thin. As you watch this your mind can wander... remember when Robert Downey Jr. broke into a house and went to sleep in some kid's bed... I thought at one time Terence Howard was going to be a good actor... did they approach Paltrow's husband to do the music?... who's the bad guy in this film, anyway... oh, sure, it's him... but what's his deal? If you like this movie a lot, maybe it's time to put away childish things. Expand
  22. kateb.
    Jan 18, 2010
    The leads are riveting; the story is not. AND, the play upon ethnic stereotypes is obnoxious. I wanted to watch for Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow, and also the computer effects, but in the end I just couldn't tolerate the movie and it's standard good guy-bad guy stuff.
  23. MitchS.
    May 10, 2008
    Worst movie I've ever seen honestly i don't know what they were thinking. Minimal fighting scenes and slow and long. So bad please take my advice do not see this movie.
  24. AriL.
    May 16, 2008
    Military industrial complex driven movie should be inspiring for a younger generations. Perhaps thats why most of the corporate media gave it a big thumbs up. The perfectly sanctioned Pentagon film for the cattle. Enjoy.
  25. DemetriusM.
    May 10, 2008
    I feel like I was watching a commercial rather than a superhero movie. Burger King, Audi and others really make me feel like this movie was made to showcase all the brands. Sure, Transformers also did it but it was not obvious. Robert Downey Jr. really portrayed the billionaire Mr. Stark but Gwyneth really disappoint me. Hope the sequel will be a proper movie rather than a commercial disaster.
  26. SamT
    May 9, 2008
    No matter how much the CG costs, it will never be a substitute for good dialogue and plot. Iron man was lacking in both of these areas. Acting was brilliant all around, but the stereotypical middle-eastern terrorists/psychopaths were far too cliche. In summary, there was good eye candy and great acting, but everything else was well below average.
  27. JohnB.
    May 19, 2008
    I'm not familiar with the comics but this movie was garbage. The character development seriously lacked. Who is Starks and why should I care about him? It seems to me that such a conflicted character could have been handled a bit more seriously. The whole movie felt like filler with a few decent scenes mixed throughout. The acting was one dimensional and dialog felt forced throughout I'm not familiar with the comics but this movie was garbage. The character development seriously lacked. Who is Starks and why should I care about him? It seems to me that such a conflicted character could have been handled a bit more seriously. The whole movie felt like filler with a few decent scenes mixed throughout. The acting was one dimensional and dialog felt forced throughout the entire thing. A few cheap laughs, guilty of working over the audience multiple times is not what I call comic relief or entertainment. Even for summer blockbuster fare, I thought it really did not deliver. Expand
  28. Feb 29, 2012
    the plot of the whole movie could fit in 30 minutes, followed by some real action for the next hour or so. unfortunately, instead the 30 minutes plot fills 2 hours and makes for a very boring movie. good for kids below the age of 16 i would say.
    May 3, 2008
    You can't mix serious issues with fantasy! Why did they have to include the war in the middle east for? Couldn't they think of a fictional enemy? And Stark being the "suit" in a cave? was just stupid!
  30. EricaM.
    Nov 3, 2008
    Boring. Music poorly concieved. Though there are good actors in this film, there aren't a lot of good acting opportunities. We turned it off half way through, and returned to it with resignation. What is it that everyone liked about this movie?
  31. RichardS.
    Sep 15, 2008
    Immature, a portrayal of debauchery and simple minded plot consisting of inconceivable conclusions, relationships, and villainy. Heroes should be portrayed as noble, not as a stuck-up technician.
  32. Dec 23, 2012
    I don't see what's so great about this film. Little to no action, very cheesey and predictable, almost no plot at all and very eventless. Some OK parts but on the whole, a waste of time.
  33. BB
    May 22, 2008
    Seriously, I'm going to start knocking 30 points off all scores to get a more realistic sense of a movie's quality. There's a lot of grade inflation going on here. Come on, people, 9's and 10's? Lame, lame, lame movie. Don't bother.
  34. JulieF.
    May 4, 2008
    They did it again! They RUINED another icon! Why does Hollywood have to force their opinions on us at every film showing? I became more and more angry throughout this film. Here's the REALLY hypocritical part: Robert Downey Jr. is just fine with TORCHING a bunch of Afghani's and obliterating a bunch more when it's HIS life on the line. He has no problem wasting dozens of They did it again! They RUINED another icon! Why does Hollywood have to force their opinions on us at every film showing? I became more and more angry throughout this film. Here's the REALLY hypocritical part: Robert Downey Jr. is just fine with TORCHING a bunch of Afghani's and obliterating a bunch more when it's HIS life on the line. He has no problem wasting dozens of men to escape from a cave (which he evidently could have just FLOWN out of anyway). But when it's our SOLDIERS that are in harm's way, OH....then we can't have any weapons! It's kind of like how Hollywood drives around in Limo's but wants the rest of us to ride bikes to work so we don't make a "carbon footprint". Anyway, the last 5/6 of this film will be a big preach-fest about how the USA is a war-mongering nation who has no right to defend herself and how any weapons manufacturer should not be allowed to exact a profit (while Hollywood gets to make BILLIONS of dollars of profit on its own products) What a farce. Don't see this film if you have a brain because it'll explode. Don't see this film if you love your country because this film certainly doesn't. SHAME ON YOU, IRON MAN. Recommended: Not in a million years. Expand
  35. PJ
    Oct 6, 2008
    Stupid. don't waste your time. most reviews are tainted by love for the actor vs. his acting. the plot, acting, and SE are great if you're 13.
  36. GB.
    May 22, 2008
    How did this get a score of 78, much less 8.4? Please! What a waste of my money, time, and popcorn. Very disappointing.
  37. BrianL
    May 25, 2008
    For a superhero movie, there is almost no action. And in the final fight scene he gets his butt kicked by the villain until Paltrow hits some weird switch that kills him? This movie was so dragged out and plotless. Don't see it.
  38. JS
    Dec 9, 2009
    No plot. Cliche, mock 30's style acting. Its just another movie rated highly because it had a big effects budget. Totally illogical, pointless, and even racist at time. I forced myself through the movie, hoping it would get somewhere. I ended up wondering where the movie went (did it even start? where's the substance?) and wishing I had used that time to get some more sleep. No plot. Cliche, mock 30's style acting. Its just another movie rated highly because it had a big effects budget. Totally illogical, pointless, and even racist at time. I forced myself through the movie, hoping it would get somewhere. I ended up wondering where the movie went (did it even start? where's the substance?) and wishing I had used that time to get some more sleep. You're kind of just there to watch the 10 minute opening action scene. Just a big nothing of an action movie. Conglomerated, forced. It did have a smidgen of personality and a few funny parts. Expand
  39. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A mediocre interpretation of yet another comic book. Despite the half-decent acting the mediocre action scenes, story and corny dialogue means the movie will be just that: mediocre. In Iron Man we follow the actions of a rich, technophiliac industrialist that suffers from a mild case of misogyny and after a brief encounter with "terrorists" decides to turn his live around and fight the "corruption" that's present in his company. Hillarity ensues as Iron Man does everything the audience hopes they could one day do and it all ends with one big fight versus true evil. Namely his ex-weapon manufacturing partner. The movie lasts about 30 to 45 minutes too long and the musical score is nothing short of annoying, playing at every opportune moment to really communicate to the viewer just how serious the scene is that they are looking at and that they should really be feeling some kind of emotion.There's a female lead in this movie but she's nothing short of a submissive and sexy secretary that is purely there to Well.. What is she there for, any way? They could have just introduced another Deus Ex machinafor everthing she's asked to do, it wouldn't have mattered. They stopped trying to go for plausible scenarios after the first 10 minutes or so. I think Hollywood directors make these movies according to a template, they all sort of start and end the same way. You could easily replace Iron Man with Spider Man or Batman and half the audience wouldn't even really notice. Expand
  40. Mar 30, 2012
    Iron Man is iron trash. Where is the action but besides that the movie comes across as just stupid. Robert Downey Jr. talks way too much in this film which makes him very annoying. Just another stupid action movie but with more stupid in it.
  41. Mar 31, 2012
    I utterly despise this movie. Horribly bad and stupid. Nothing about it was enjoyable and I felt like the story was going no where. Everybody who says this is good has no taste.
  42. DesmondW.
    May 2, 2008
    Ironman was always my favorite hero from the marvel universe. It felt really good to watch him shine on the big screen. RDJ's acting is simply brilliant. Great story adaption leaving it realistic. Few but well done action scenes getting you a real feel for the suit. Suprisingly this movie will bring you alot of laughs..Yes its weird but it sure wll. I LOVE IT!
  43. PriyanthT.
    May 2, 2008
    thye movie was awesome the graphics were done greatly and it was fun watchin and it was no less than spider man, superman or batman, and wish a sequel wuld be made
  44. Camille
    May 30, 2008
    Though I admittedly enjoyed Speed Racer more, I absolutely loved this movie. It was the perfect balance of action and explanation needed for a comic book movie origin story. The thing that had me most appreciative was the believability of the special effects and dynamics between the characters. This is a film not to be missed.
  45. Tery
    May 3, 2008
    I saw the movie at 10:30 PM on 5/2. I think is is a very good movie. The plot was pretty good. The actors were excellent. The movie didn't seem to flow that well due to direction. It was so exciting, I could not get out of my seat to go the restroom or buy anything, and that says something!
  46. MikeN.
    May 3, 2008
    Downey nailed the character of Stark. Special effects look real. Dialogue is very sharp and witty. Would have been nice to give Bridges more screen time. Last act felt a little rushed. Final fight could have been a little longer/more dramatic. Good start to the series can
  47. DavidR.
    May 30, 2008
    I have never really cared for RDJ as an actor and the current comic version of Iron Man is an unlikeable fascist dick, so I had zero expectations going into this movie. I only saw it because I had eight bucks to spend and two hours to kill. Coming out of the movie, I bought another ticket because I would have been ripping the theater off if I had only paid full price for it. This is the I have never really cared for RDJ as an actor and the current comic version of Iron Man is an unlikeable fascist dick, so I had zero expectations going into this movie. I only saw it because I had eight bucks to spend and two hours to kill. Coming out of the movie, I bought another ticket because I would have been ripping the theater off if I had only paid full price for it. This is the standard by which all future Marvel movies will be judged. I simply cannot praise this movie enough. It's as good as Batman Begins, but "lighter" and more suitable for children, and it has enough sly humor that the adults will be entertained as well. RDJ gives the performance of a lifetime in the role he was born to play. I have seen this movie six times now and I'm going back this weekend for yet another serving of metal-suited terrorist-punching awesomeness. Expand
  48. MattA
    May 6, 2008
    This was a very good movie. Although...it would have been nothing without Robert Downey Jr. He made the picture...well...him, and the awesome looking Iron Man suit. My only major gripe was that it all felt like it was leading up to something...better...in which it was. So when the sequel comes around...i may be giving this a nine, but until then, this serves as a good backstory.
  49. RienyeN.
    May 8, 2008
    Awesome movie! I was riveted from the start to end. Simple clear-cut story without bothersome sub-plots! The special effects were excellent and Downey delivered. Gwyneth could have been more lively but other than that i highly recommend it. Best marvel comic adaptation to date.
  50. JasonP.
    May 8, 2008
    Forget the pretentiously snivelling humdrum of those who would look down upon this piece of movie theatre gold. They are probably upset that an action movie could be such a powerful epic, and that some pathetic, self-indulgent yet tragic art-fiasco love-story wasn't the cause of the warm feelings welling from within. Out of shame, they look downward with their bespectacled glare and Forget the pretentiously snivelling humdrum of those who would look down upon this piece of movie theatre gold. They are probably upset that an action movie could be such a powerful epic, and that some pathetic, self-indulgent yet tragic art-fiasco love-story wasn't the cause of the warm feelings welling from within. Out of shame, they look downward with their bespectacled glare and succeed in once again providing all they can to the world: their judgment of someone else's brilliance. This movie was the perfect mix of snide wit and explosive special effects. It not only does the comic book justice, but sets itself apart from its printed origins and in fact all other movies in its genre. It is so rare to see Oscar worthy performances in what should be a simple shoot-em-up, but that's what you get for your money. This is a must-see, and one of the best of all time; believe it. Mark my words: this film will break the billions, and birth a new tinsel-town dynasty. Expand
  51. NormanX.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Wonderfully done. I was afraid it'll be cheesy and lame, but it met every expectation with some great lines from Robert Downey Jr, the perfect Tony Stark. Pacing was good, great action, and even a quick reference to perhaps a sequel with Warhammer made me hunger for more.
  52. SteveS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you are a marvel comic fan, or even a fan of action movies in general, then you need to see this movie. Being the first in what will undoubtedly be a series, this movie has no baggage to bring into it, and really stands out because of it. The story may be a fairly simple one, but it is a brilliant introduction to the character of Iron Man. Robert Downey junior makes a return to form in If you are a marvel comic fan, or even a fan of action movies in general, then you need to see this movie. Being the first in what will undoubtedly be a series, this movie has no baggage to bring into it, and really stands out because of it. The story may be a fairly simple one, but it is a brilliant introduction to the character of Iron Man. Robert Downey junior makes a return to form in his portrayal of Tony Stark/Iron Man blending arrogance, some self realisation and lighter comedic moments well. The visuals and special effects are a credit to the production and special effects teams. Simply put, this is the best Marvel movie I have seen in a long time, and quite frankly I'm willing to see it again in the cinema. Expand
  53. ChrisR.
    May 10, 2008
    I thoughts this was a very well done movie. the only problem I had with it was the amount of action. this movie really doesn't get going until the middle.
  54. DavidW.
    May 1, 2008
    Wow, this movie is definitely one of the best superhero movies. Arguably better than the Spiderman movies. What makes this movie so good is the character Tony Stark. Tony Stark is just one of those you guys who you hate and love at the same time cause he's so cocky. The ending is awesome.
  55. JanmikS.
    May 10, 2008
    Very very entertaining and visually awesome. Great script for wit and humor and acting covers the somewhat typical superhero movie plot. 'Tis worth your money.
  56. Bluezboy8
    May 10, 2008
    All the CG and gadgetry of a summer blockbuster, but surprisingly, all the well-drawn story and acting of a fall season Oscar contender. This movie just has it ALL!!
  57. ChadShiira
    May 19, 2008
    When Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr.) returns to the middle east as Ironman, he's no longer the problem to war; he's the solution. This routine, but literary-steeped screenplay, suggests that the weapons manufacturer is a contemporary Marlowe, the protagonist in Joseph Conrad's modernist classic "Heart of Darkness", which told the story of Africa's rape at the turn of theWhen Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr.) returns to the middle east as Ironman, he's no longer the problem to war; he's the solution. This routine, but literary-steeped screenplay, suggests that the weapons manufacturer is a contemporary Marlowe, the protagonist in Joseph Conrad's modernist classic "Heart of Darkness", which told the story of Africa's rape at the turn of the century by European hands. Although Marlowe wasn't an imperialist, per se, he did foster the ongoing tyranny by simply being in that tug boat. In "Ironman", as Stark rides across the desert in an army utility vehicle, our anti-hero gets closer to his unbeknowing nightmare, the discovery that he's enabling the enemy. The horror, the horror. In that cave, he turns into Oskar Schindler(an ex-war profiteer), as a Marvel superhero. But if you're looking for a Kurtz stand-in, it's pretty hard not to miss Jeff Bridges' bald head. Bridges manages the neat trick of being a megalomaniacal tyrant with a god complex(in other words, Marlon Brando in Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now"), and Preston Thomas Tucker(the car manufacturer in "Tucker: The Man & His Dreams; again, Coppola), a man of vision, albeit an evil one. "Ironman" also impresses with its Mulder/Scully dynamics between Stark and Pepper Potts(Gwyneth Paltrow). When Stark says, "Admit it. This isn't the worst thing you caught me doing," to his assistant, fans of "The X-Files" will nod knowingly. Mulder was a porn aficionado. "Ironman", predictably, has the requisite action to satisfy its target demographic(something that Ang Lee's "Hulk" failed to do), but it's the suppressed love between boss and employee that's the real story here. Expand
  58. BenH.
    May 2, 2008
    What a great movie. I went in expecting possibly a passable movie and found that there was not a moment in this very well structured movie that didn't keep me absolutley glued to my seat. This movie is well worth seeing in the cinemas. The acting was great particularily from Robert Downey Jr. I couldn't imagine the role of Tony Stark ever going to anyone else. The comedy in it What a great movie. I went in expecting possibly a passable movie and found that there was not a moment in this very well structured movie that didn't keep me absolutley glued to my seat. This movie is well worth seeing in the cinemas. The acting was great particularily from Robert Downey Jr. I couldn't imagine the role of Tony Stark ever going to anyone else. The comedy in it was hilarious . What we need to keep in mind when rating this movie that it is a comic action flick, and as such i will rate it so.. there was no great meaning or artsy fartsy metaphors. For me this was the perfect comic book action movie. It was far better than any of the other marvels movies i have seen so far and made Transformers look like a joke. I will be going to the movies again soon for this one. 10/10 from me, i hope there is a sequel. Collapse
  59. JesseB.
    May 20, 2008
    I waited too long, I guess, for this movie. The pacing was wrong and the jokes were only good sometimes. His gadgetry is fantastic but not logical at all. Even a tiny explanation would have been interesting even if not entirely possible. Tony Stark makes an impression of being a Jock before and after his adventure. No character developement there. The action is mainly 2 or 3 scenes and I waited too long, I guess, for this movie. The pacing was wrong and the jokes were only good sometimes. His gadgetry is fantastic but not logical at all. Even a tiny explanation would have been interesting even if not entirely possible. Tony Stark makes an impression of being a Jock before and after his adventure. No character developement there. The action is mainly 2 or 3 scenes and the rest is just embarrasing. Especially the last fight. Watch this in the cinema and you'll at least get the special effects. Expand
  60. JarrodD.
    May 2, 2008
    OK, Dark Knight has a opponent that I thought would fade away in a few minutes after seeing it. I thought Iron Man was going to be entertaining at most really. I didn't think they would do a super great job at "wow"ing me. As you know, I'm a comic book fanatic. I love em. So, imagine my surprise when they stayed true, and even upped the Iron Man characters, stories, and visuals.OK, Dark Knight has a opponent that I thought would fade away in a few minutes after seeing it. I thought Iron Man was going to be entertaining at most really. I didn't think they would do a super great job at "wow"ing me. As you know, I'm a comic book fanatic. I love em. So, imagine my surprise when they stayed true, and even upped the Iron Man characters, stories, and visuals. I didn't find myself once thinking about how good/bad the effects were. I know that they were incredibly well done, but I also was so into the !&^#% story that I wasn't paying attention to that....which I've never done. Robert Downey Jr in my opinion does his best work to date. I couldn't have asked for a better actor....absolutely perfect. I think RDJ can relate to Tony Stark cuz they've both had/have problems with drugs or women or whatnot, so it worked pretty well. Jeff Bridges, I couldn't see him as the antagonist in my mind before the movie. During and after the movie, I was all for him playing the villain. I don't know about all of you, but for me, it's hard to like or even really care about the "damsel in distress" in super hero movies. I could care less for Mary Jane in Spider man, or Rachael Dawes in Batman Begins. Their characters were just there to be in trouble and add a little sexual flavor to the movie. Gwyneth Paltrow, I honestly cared and liked her character. She was there for more than just, HELP! In fact, she was pretty bad @%#. The acting from all these people was great. They couldn't have done better. There was just enough comic book references in there to keep a nerd like me happy. I could myself a few times clenching my hands in anticipation and glee for what I was about to see or seeing. I was seriously like a 7 year old again watching a combination of Robocop, Superman, Batman, and the x-men cartoon for the first time. It was so @%^$ sweet to see such a good adaptation on screen. I can't tell you how critical I am of comic book movies. As adaptations they #^#*$ suck. As movies, they are usually just passable as entertaining, with the exception of a few. This was a great adaptation (the 8 people around me in the theater thought it was the best adaptation of a book to a story they've seen) Just enough action in it to keep everyone wanting to see what the hell that suit can do (and it is a lot) and just enough character development and story to keep everyone interested and caring for these characters. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have changed a single thing. There was everything in there that needed to be in there, without any of the #&$%@@#$. I would've added one thing. IT'S DIFFERENT THAT CHANGING THINGS! It's not a spoiler, just an awesome Iron Man line that was in a comic. There was a scene in the comic where Tony Stark is flying around in the suit and the guys on the ground are noticing he's slurring words and I think he's even singing. The people observing the test yell through the communication line, "Tony, are you #&$% drunk?!" to which it cuts to a panel of Tony Stark in the suit laughing and saying "Have you seen this thing!? Do you really think I'd get into it sober!" haha, everytime I let anyone read that series, they always remember that line and laugh. So, in conclusion, @&*$%^@#! Go see it immediately. I'm available for lunch if you want to go then! Also, when you do see it, stay till after the credits. I don't care if you get a phone call that your baby is birthing right then and there. You sit your @$$ down and watch the #*$%@# end! I honestly felt like an Arsenio Hall audience member after the end scene, I stood up and pumped my fist and gave a "woot woot woot" so awesome! Truly surprised. Alright, I'll shut up. Go see it already Expand
  61. DerekC.
    May 2, 2008
    This is what it's all about. Where other movies have either gone cheezy (fantastic 4, the hulk) or realistic and gritty (batman begins), this film succeeds in being fun, carefree and allows you to just enjoy the ride. Downey is a perfect cast. Makes you want to be a kid again and build your own ironman suit out of cardboard.
  62. EugeneM.
    May 3, 2008
    Superb comic based movie. RDJ was perfect for the role. I did not give it a perfect 10 because I still wanted to see more ironman action scenes.
  63. SorenK
    May 3, 2008
    Iron Man perfectly suits the superhero movie genre; especially if you're under fourteen years of age. The movie lacks a truly formidable foe to push the Iron Man's buttons and force him to prove his mettle (I blame Favreau). The casting/acting is top shelf, but too much of it is wasted on exposition (not to mention a lack of any real chemistry between Downey and Paltrow). Iron Man perfectly suits the superhero movie genre; especially if you're under fourteen years of age. The movie lacks a truly formidable foe to push the Iron Man's buttons and force him to prove his mettle (I blame Favreau). The casting/acting is top shelf, but too much of it is wasted on exposition (not to mention a lack of any real chemistry between Downey and Paltrow). Favreau's direction is mostly plodding and unsure of itself - antithetical to the movie's protagonist. By all means go see it, but let's hope Marvel picks a better director for the sequel. Expand
  64. ReyA.
    May 30, 2008
    This is by far the best superhero movie of all time. I used to be a big fan of spiderman until Iron Man came around. Also, what I liked alot is the technologically advanced weaponry used in the film. It really caught my attention.
  65. Dplumm
    May 3, 2008
    I went kicking and screaming.... This is not my type of movie....I'm more of a McDreamy kind of movie goer..... I never even heard of IronMan. I was not dissapointed. Robert and Terrance as friends. ... so believable .....and Pepper and Jeff....what a cast! A must see!!!!
  66. PaddyH.
    May 3, 2008
    A great film......brilliant gadget wise! definately would recommend it to other people!!!!!!!!!!!!! go watch it
  67. J.B.
    May 3, 2008
    I was very skeptical about with Downey playing Stark. I was wrong, no one else could have been Ironman. The movie had plenty of action with well timed humor. I will be taking my sons to see it again next weekend.
  68. JohnnyD.
    May 3, 2008
    If you liked the previews, this movie won't disappoint. There were equal parts action, humor, and storyline. I can't wait for a sequel!
  69. NickG.
    May 3, 2008
    Well paced, intelligent and enjoyable film. The soul searching and slow paced traps other sueprhero films fall into aren't present in this throughout this film (luckily) and the lack of cheesy love moments or sentimentality give the film credibility. Ironman also looks amazing.
  70. JohnF.
    May 3, 2008
    I have been waiting 25 years for this movie and it was worth every second of it! Terrific movie!
  71. DanR.
    May 4, 2008
    This movie was really cool and one of the best comic book movies yet. Just make sure you stay until after the credits!
  72. JoeR.
    May 4, 2008
    Same old plot, same old one-dimensional charatcers, same old "bangs" and "booms" and same old Robert Downey, Jr. playinp Robert Downey, Jr. I'm sorry but I was bored, amybe I've just seen too many of these to care anymore. It certainly didn't have the depth of "character" that Batman Begins did... it was more like Fantastic Four meets the (first) Hulk... I really wanted to Same old plot, same old one-dimensional charatcers, same old "bangs" and "booms" and same old Robert Downey, Jr. playinp Robert Downey, Jr. I'm sorry but I was bored, amybe I've just seen too many of these to care anymore. It certainly didn't have the depth of "character" that Batman Begins did... it was more like Fantastic Four meets the (first) Hulk... I really wanted to like this, but the went expensive with the visuals and cheap with the character development & simplistic storyline. Just feel flat, for me personally, but again I may have been expecting too much after reading some reviews and hearing WOM. I have a feeling after seeing the Hulk trailer that I'm gonna have to wait for INDY to really cheer again for a movie character... that's what a summer blockbuster is all about for me! Expand
  73. SusanB.
    May 4, 2008
    Fantastic. Seamless animation, razor sharp editing and near-oscar worthy performances from Daniels, Paltrow and of course Downey. Equal in excellence to the 1 and 2 'Spiderman' movies and to the current 'Batman' series. Very believable and well written. Don't miss!
  74. AndreF.
    May 4, 2008
    This is one of the best comic book movies that I have seen in quites sometime. The acting was on par with Batman Begins, and it gave hope to reviving a franchise with what I believe was a poor sequel in Spiderman 3. Great movie!
  75. CalvinC.
    May 4, 2008
    The first movie made in 4 years where I actually cared about the characters. The CGI is there, yet it doesn't completely overshadow the movie, which is a nice touch. Lots of political drama spice up the plotline as well. Don't wait for the DVD or Blu-ray. Watch it now. You won't be dissapointed.
  76. ElizabethE.
    May 4, 2008
    Fantastic. Downey is perfectly cast, plot is smart, special effects are terrific, dialogue is clever. It is the rare action movie in which even the non-action scenes are compelling.
  77. RDalvi
    May 4, 2008
    Awesome film. Cool Visual effects. Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, Terence Howard and all others were great. COOL WITH A HUGE C.
  78. JeffL.
    The Dude abides.
  79. RonanonL.
    May 5, 2008
    Expected Much Much Worse. Even with all the "summer movie" moments.
  80. MNG
    May 5, 2008
    RDJ can act alright. He's great. Gwyneth is good too - but what was so good about her role - pretty sexist if you ask me. the movie was exciting and fun to look at it and an exciting ride. But a little worrying politically. Yay America - the only he wants after three months in a cave is a cheeseburger. an American has to be the one to save the Iraqi civilians (or whatever race they RDJ can act alright. He's great. Gwyneth is good too - but what was so good about her role - pretty sexist if you ask me. the movie was exciting and fun to look at it and an exciting ride. But a little worrying politically. Yay America - the only he wants after three months in a cave is a cheeseburger. an American has to be the one to save the Iraqi civilians (or whatever race they were - they looked Iraqi). the Iraqis are the bad guys. the Americans are the good guys. the token black is a good guy. the older bearded fellow is dodgy. and don't even get me started with RDJ's facial hair! the moustache is practically hitleresque and disgusting. Expand
  81. TimD.
    May 5, 2008
    I'm a huge fan of comic film and this is one of the top 5 comic films. Robert Downey Jr is amazing, Favreau weaves an amazing story
  82. AustinM.
    May 5, 2008
    This movie was spectacular. Sure, it was no Star Wars or The Godfather, but regardless, it was the most fun I've had at a movie since Cloverfield, and before that, since Star Wars Episode 3. The acting by Robert Downey Jr. was phenomenal, and after watching the movie, I yearned to be that Tony Stark, brilliant, funny, awesome, billionaire of a guy that he was in that part. The This movie was spectacular. Sure, it was no Star Wars or The Godfather, but regardless, it was the most fun I've had at a movie since Cloverfield, and before that, since Star Wars Episode 3. The acting by Robert Downey Jr. was phenomenal, and after watching the movie, I yearned to be that Tony Stark, brilliant, funny, awesome, billionaire of a guy that he was in that part. The soundtrack wasn't anything memorable, but it certainly didn't detract from anything. The special effects, as always by ILM, were amazing, and the entire visual aspect of the piece was great. The story as well, was admirable, and much, much better than that crap the Spider-Man movies keep throwing at us. This is probably because it stuck very loyally to the comics, with the added "Tony Stark is awesome" thing. Overall, just a really good movie. Expand
  83. Jennifer
    May 6, 2008
    Good movie. I'll admit that I don't really like superhero action movies, but there were some thrilling scenes (like RDJ taking his Iron Man outfit out for a test drive). All the male actors are great. Paltrow is "meh."
  84. Fullys.
    May 6, 2008
    this is an amazing movie, aguably with transformer to be the best movie during last 12 months
  85. NO
    May 8, 2008
    Movie was great better than i expected retard that gave it a 4 was a transformers loser. Transformers and Iron are 2 TOTALLY different categories of movies.
  86. MarcC.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Awesome flick. I don't know what "Brian L" was watching. But it's like every start of a franchise. It has to start from scratch and told from the bottom to work it's way at the top. This movie has that and then some. Very entertaining and a cast that does the job well done. Downey Jr. played a good role and shows he's having fun doing so. Worth the money and your popcorn.
  87. ClarkW
    Aug 10, 2008
    The casting of Downey as Iron Man is as perfect as Heath Ledger as the Joker. Downey plays a great hero, and is funny throughout. There are very few low points to this movie. The only drawback is the final fight scene, it could have been a bit better. But other than that, a great movie that will have you gasping in awe and laughing until your sides hurt.
  88. NigelM.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Great film, but only if you're a 9 year old boy. Simplistic and predictable, as all superhero films are. Time for anyone older than that to grow up and stop hollywood churning these out I reckon. Brief synopsis: Good guy vs bad guy who wants to rule the world, big fight at end, guess who loses? See also: Batman, Hulk, Spiderman, Superman, Fantastic four, in fact every other damn Great film, but only if you're a 9 year old boy. Simplistic and predictable, as all superhero films are. Time for anyone older than that to grow up and stop hollywood churning these out I reckon. Brief synopsis: Good guy vs bad guy who wants to rule the world, big fight at end, guess who loses? See also: Batman, Hulk, Spiderman, Superman, Fantastic four, in fact every other damn superhero movie. Why bother? Expand
  89. Phil
    Oct 11, 2008
    This is one of the best movies of the year. However, my only concern is the absurdly short boss battle.
  90. WickedS.
    Oct 4, 2008
    This is the most fun a comic book fan can have. Iron Man truly comes to life and entertains. If you like Batman or Spiderman then Iron Man will not dissapoint you. I am not a fan of Terrance nor Gwyneth but everyone else was great.
  91. AliR.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Nice Effects, Power Suit is just like comics.
  92. EdayH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    at first, i didn't expect much from it, but it turned out, i was wrong. the movie is finely done.
  93. GordonT.
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was absolutely wowed by this movie. This is how to make a comic book movie ... Sam Raimi, eat your heart out.
  94. RM
    Apr 30, 2008
    Everything a movie based on a comic should be and I'm not even a fan of the Iron Man comics. But it's a whole different ball game on screen. Robert Downey Jr. is the perfect Tony Stark. Can't wait to see it again. This is a movie that isn't to be missed.
  95. EmmaG.
    May 1, 2008
    It's been a long time, but finally I had fun watching a movie.
  96. PaulB.
    May 1, 2008
    Definitely one of the best comic book adaptions, and definitely the best superhero movie i've seen. Downey was the perfect choice for Tony Stark - and brings some weight to the character, it was an intelligant casting choice, but then you could probably say the same for Pepper, Rhodey and Obediah Stane as well. This is the first fully marvel produced movie, its smart, funny and Definitely one of the best comic book adaptions, and definitely the best superhero movie i've seen. Downey was the perfect choice for Tony Stark - and brings some weight to the character, it was an intelligant casting choice, but then you could probably say the same for Pepper, Rhodey and Obediah Stane as well. This is the first fully marvel produced movie, its smart, funny and action packed and it bodes well for the future of the Iron man and marvel franchise. Solid gold. Expand
  97. MarcoM.
    May 1, 2008
    The Iron Man experience was like going to see the first Spiderman, X-Men, Batman Begins movies, which translates to amazing. The movie had amazing action sequences that kept your eyes locked onto the screen. The comic relief through out the movie was right on time with each appearance. The movie has a great montage to get you up to speed with who Tony Stark a.k.a Iron Man was and who he The Iron Man experience was like going to see the first Spiderman, X-Men, Batman Begins movies, which translates to amazing. The movie had amazing action sequences that kept your eyes locked onto the screen. The comic relief through out the movie was right on time with each appearance. The movie has a great montage to get you up to speed with who Tony Stark a.k.a Iron Man was and who he is today in that movie. Robert Downy Jr. played a great Tony Stark. Downey had some great moments where he just told you through his eyes. Then the lovely Gweneth Paltrow played a great side kick through out the movie holding her own, and never being left behind in the story. The movie was about two hours, and I could have possibly seen a three hour version, because the movie was so good. I just hope that with the sequel they stick to what worked and not try to cram so much like Spiderman 3 wah wah! I am going to see this movie at least two more times. Amazing Movie! Expand
  98. John
    May 11, 2008
    Very good movie worth seeing in a theatre.
  99. MattK
    May 12, 2008
    Robert Downey Jr. is awesome. Jeff Bridges is a great Anti-Dude ("that's a publicity stunt---we made that to shut the hippies up!"). Favreau paces the film very well with the perfect mix of humor, action, suspense, and romance. I was hopeful that this was a sign of what's to come this summer (it was perfectly matched with the new Dark Knight trailer), but after Speed Racer, Robert Downey Jr. is awesome. Jeff Bridges is a great Anti-Dude ("that's a publicity stunt---we made that to shut the hippies up!"). Favreau paces the film very well with the perfect mix of humor, action, suspense, and romance. I was hopeful that this was a sign of what's to come this summer (it was perfectly matched with the new Dark Knight trailer), but after Speed Racer, I'm not so optimistic. Expand
  100. PDiddy
    May 1, 2008
    The perfect comic book movie. Brilliantly cast, utterly faithful to the characters. There is no flaw, I just wish it could have been longer. I could honestly have watched this film all day long.

1. Downey plays off his own bad-boy image wonderfully. The writers give him great lines to work with and ditto that for his Girl Friday, Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts, whose own svelte lines cannot be improved on.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ever-eclectic director Jon Favreau, who briefly pops up onscreen as a Stark minion, maintains a brisk but not frantic pace, and, in concert with lenser Matthew Libatique, production designer J. Michael Riva and the first-rate visual effects team, has made an unusually elegant looking film for the genre.
  3. Loyal assistant, Pepper Potts, isn't much of a part, but Gwyneth Paltrow is a presence. She stands around looking amused and flabbergastingly pretty, slinging wisecracks with serene aplomb.