Iron Man

8.4

1. Jun 8, 2013
    I agree with santosx. The plot was very weak and could easily be explained in under 30 mins, The action scenes were ok and certainly eye appealing for young kids but I didn't care for them. Downey Jr is what carries Iron Man through out, He is rather entertaining.
  2. May 8, 2011
    (WARNING: SOME SPOILERS) The problem with Iron Man is that in the first part it completely focuses on Afghanistan which is going through some problems at the moment. And it was boring at some parts. But then again the movie could be worse so I'm going to give it a 6
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    It is just too immature for my taste. I hope I do not offend anyone with this, but I felt this movie's plot, characters, the science presented was not for mature audiences. It was a typical superhero stuff I never liked.
  4. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A mediocre interpretation of yet another comic book. Despite the half-decent acting the mediocre action scenes, story and corny dialogue means the movie will be just that: mediocre. In Iron Man we follow the actions of a rich, technophiliac industrialist that suffers from a mild case of misogyny and after a brief encounter with "terrorists" decides to turn his live around and fight the "corruption" that's present in his company. Hillarity ensues as Iron Man does everything the audience hopes they could one day do and it all ends with one big fight versus true evil. Namely his ex-weapon manufacturing partner. The movie lasts about 30 to 45 minutes too long and the musical score is nothing short of annoying, playing at every opportune moment to really communicate to the viewer just how serious the scene is that they are looking at and that they should really be feeling some kind of emotion.There's a female lead in this movie but she's nothing short of a submissive and sexy secretary that is purely there to Well.. What is she there for, any way? They could have just introduced another Deus Ex machinafor everthing she's asked to do, it wouldn't have mattered. They stopped trying to go for plausible scenarios after the first 10 minutes or so. I think Hollywood directors make these movies according to a template, they all sort of start and end the same way. You could easily replace Iron Man with Spider Man or Batman and half the audience wouldn't even really notice. Expand
  5. Dec 23, 2012
    I don't see what's so great about this film. Little to no action, very cheesey and predictable, almost no plot at all and very eventless. Some OK parts but on the whole, a waste of time.
  6. Apr 17, 2015
    I just like some of super-heroes movies because of this. This is to boring to be a super-hero. I don't even watch the 2nd and 3rd movie, and I don't wanna. Just for the visual effects I give it a 6
  7. EricaM.
    Nov 3, 2008
    Boring. Music poorly concieved. Though there are good actors in this film, there aren't a lot of good acting opportunities. We turned it off half way through, and returned to it with resignation. What is it that everyone liked about this movie?
  8. MNG
    May 5, 2008
    RDJ can act alright. He's great. Gwyneth is good too - but what was so good about her role - pretty sexist if you ask me. the movie was exciting and fun to look at it and an exciting ride. But a little worrying politically. Yay America - the only he wants after three months in a cave is a cheeseburger. an American has to be the one to save the Iraqi civilians (or whatever race they RDJ can act alright. He's great. Gwyneth is good too - but what was so good about her role - pretty sexist if you ask me. the movie was exciting and fun to look at it and an exciting ride. But a little worrying politically. Yay America - the only he wants after three months in a cave is a cheeseburger. an American has to be the one to save the Iraqi civilians (or whatever race they were - they looked Iraqi). the Iraqis are the bad guys. the Americans are the good guys. the token black is a good guy. the older bearded fellow is dodgy. and don't even get me started with RDJ's facial hair! the moustache is practically hitleresque and disgusting. Expand
  9. kateb.
    Jan 18, 2010
    The leads are riveting; the story is not. AND, the play upon ethnic stereotypes is obnoxious. I wanted to watch for Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow, and also the computer effects, but in the end I just couldn't tolerate the movie and it's standard good guy-bad guy stuff.
  10. AriL.
    May 16, 2008
    Military industrial complex driven movie should be inspiring for a younger generations. Perhaps thats why most of the corporate media gave it a big thumbs up. The perfectly sanctioned Pentagon film for the cattle. Enjoy.
  11. TimM
    May 2, 2008
    Ehhh... overrated. Gotta love Downey though.
  12. RobC
    May 3, 2008
    The only good thing besides the effects is Downey!, almost the worst of Marvel comics.
  13. deborahL
    May 6, 2008
    Downey always fun to watch but an ironic performance and lacked heart. And am I the only one who felt that Gwyneth played it like Lisa Kudrow?
  14. SamT
    May 9, 2008
    No matter how much the CG costs, it will never be a substitute for good dialogue and plot. Iron man was lacking in both of these areas. Acting was brilliant all around, but the stereotypical middle-eastern terrorists/psychopaths were far too cliche. In summary, there was good eye candy and great acting, but everything else was well below average.
  15. KenW.
    Jun 2, 2008
    A good movie to nap to during a Sunday afternoon matinee. Way over rated.
  16. RS.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Very strange film, very strange message - seemingly thus; man has epiphany that making weapons is wrong (regardless of it allowing him a billionaire playboy lifestyle). What does he do? Makes himself a new, more powerful weapon and starts warring again. Scratch the surface and it still brashly glorifies advanced weapons and war too (I thought in these Iraq war-years we'd all lost our Very strange film, very strange message - seemingly thus; man has epiphany that making weapons is wrong (regardless of it allowing him a billionaire playboy lifestyle). What does he do? Makes himself a new, more powerful weapon and starts warring again. Scratch the surface and it still brashly glorifies advanced weapons and war too (I thought in these Iraq war-years we'd all lost our appetite for such things. Seemingly I was wrong. Expand
  17. DerS.
    May 17, 2008
    Plenty of expsnsive gadgets and state-of-the-art cg for the tech-and-status-obsessed 14-year-old in us all. The dark underside of all of this sound and fury is the perverse idolatry of Hollywood Wastrel #1, Robert Downey, Jr., who is in essence playing himself, the bad boy who is more smug than ever for having gotten away with it after all these years. One of the most cynical products of Plenty of expsnsive gadgets and state-of-the-art cg for the tech-and-status-obsessed 14-year-old in us all. The dark underside of all of this sound and fury is the perverse idolatry of Hollywood Wastrel #1, Robert Downey, Jr., who is in essence playing himself, the bad boy who is more smug than ever for having gotten away with it after all these years. One of the most cynical products of our cynical age. Expand
  18. Gus
    May 3, 2008
    I thought the story was flat and marred by so many dull plot elements. If not for Downey's irrepressible personal traits that I suppose everyone wanted to be part of the character, there would be no one on screen worth bothering about. The robot is cool, there are a slew of fancy sport cars, the baddies are politically current and a bevy of hot ladies grace the screen. . . All the I thought the story was flat and marred by so many dull plot elements. If not for Downey's irrepressible personal traits that I suppose everyone wanted to be part of the character, there would be no one on screen worth bothering about. The robot is cool, there are a slew of fancy sport cars, the baddies are politically current and a bevy of hot ladies grace the screen. . . All the essentials are down. Expand
  19. MM.
    May 3, 2008
    The good: Great, great special effects and CGI. This can't be stressed enough. Great acting all around. The bad: Stale plot, predictable plot. Can you say "stereotypical middle eastern bad guys?" I gotta be honest: I'm not a huge comic book guy and this was the movie I chose to break my streak on. I'm wishing I didn't. This is just the usual Hollywood stuff being The good: Great, great special effects and CGI. This can't be stressed enough. Great acting all around. The bad: Stale plot, predictable plot. Can you say "stereotypical middle eastern bad guys?" I gotta be honest: I'm not a huge comic book guy and this was the movie I chose to break my streak on. I'm wishing I didn't. This is just the usual Hollywood stuff being churned out en masse as any original ideas have virtually dried up. Expand
  20. OliverC.
    May 4, 2008
    I want everyone to just hold on a second and think this through. Is this movie really what passes for good these days? It wasn't more than acceptable. The plot is moronic. I guess everyone just takes that for granted, but can't we maybe afford to raise our standards a bit? Downey Jr is just a sardonic james bond, complete with his own moneypenny and over the top gadgets.
  21. MarcoC.
    May 5, 2008
    I found the movie very slow and did not impress with the special effect. After Transformers, Ironman should have been incredible, and it was not!!!! don't spend your money on this movie...it is not worth it!
  22. AlexC.
    May 7, 2008
    I can't believe all the good reviews here Downey spends more than half the movie making the Iron Suit and making eyes at Gwenyth Paltrow. YAWN !!!!
  23. GilbertL.
    May 12, 2008
    Run of the mill plot twists almost seem besides the point in this movie. The director/producers/screenwriters hit all the marks of a typical superhero movie, knowing that the movie will be a crowd pleaser.This movie feels as though it would have been fresh at least 10 years ago, but, as seen in 2008, the movie is somewhat dull. Robert Downey Jr's line readings and the banter between Run of the mill plot twists almost seem besides the point in this movie. The director/producers/screenwriters hit all the marks of a typical superhero movie, knowing that the movie will be a crowd pleaser.This movie feels as though it would have been fresh at least 10 years ago, but, as seen in 2008, the movie is somewhat dull. Robert Downey Jr's line readings and the banter between him and Gwyneth Paltrow are the most entertaining elements of the movie. Even the character of the villain is boring. If a movie of this sort doesn't have a strong, seemingly invincible villain, then what is the point? Expand
  24. ToreyA.
    May 27, 2008
    The movie was good stupid fun with a pretty good plot line that gets ruined by a horrible climax.
  25. RichardS.
    Sep 15, 2008
    Immature, a portrayal of debauchery and simple minded plot consisting of inconceivable conclusions, relationships, and villainy. Heroes should be portrayed as noble, not as a stuck-up technician.

1. Downey plays off his own bad-boy image wonderfully. The writers give him great lines to work with and ditto that for his Girl Friday, Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts, whose own svelte lines cannot be improved on.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ever-eclectic director Jon Favreau, who briefly pops up onscreen as a Stark minion, maintains a brisk but not frantic pace, and, in concert with lenser Matthew Libatique, production designer J. Michael Riva and the first-rate visual effects team, has made an unusually elegant looking film for the genre.
  3. Loyal assistant, Pepper Potts, isn't much of a part, but Gwyneth Paltrow is a presence. She stands around looking amused and flabbergastingly pretty, slinging wisecracks with serene aplomb.