Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 2, 2008
Universal acclaim based on 1741 Ratings
1,585
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeJan 4, 2016
This movie gives you that feeling that something good might happen when you first see the movie... then here comes the action. Oh! Ah! Yay! Best part about it is that no one can make a good Iron Man actor other than Robert Downey Jr.
TheQuietGamerMar 9, 2011
Iron Man is brought to life because of Robert Downey Jr. he was the perfect person for the part, he pulled it off so well, and while it might not be the most kid friendly super hero movie it's still an amazing one.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Bolstered by an utterly iconic lead performance, Jon Favreau's "Iron Man" is a breathtaking, intellectual, gleaming, and an overall ideal addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
Iron Man is a great superhero movie, as well as a good comedy, as well as a good drama! Downey Jr.'s sense of humor and sheer is what makes his character so round and a pleasure to watch.
csw12Mar 30, 2012
Iron Man is iron trash. Where is the action but besides that the movie comes across as just stupid. Robert Downey Jr. talks way too much in this film which makes him very annoying. Just another stupid action movie but with more stupid in it.
grandpajoe6191Sep 15, 2011
The action and humor is amazingly strong and unnecessary to prove the movie that its worth more than the others; in the end, "Iron Man" is just a decent summer blockbuster.
cameronmorewoodNov 15, 2012
Downey is pitch-perfect as Stark. Rather than creating a strong-man type character, like many superhero movies do, our hero has depth, and that, not the action, is what gives Iron Man its kick.
imthenoobJun 8, 2013
I agree with santosx. The plot was very weak and could easily be explained in under 30 mins, The action scenes were ok and certainly eye appealing for young kids but I didn't care for them. Downey Jr is what carries Iron Man through out, HeI agree with santosx. The plot was very weak and could easily be explained in under 30 mins, The action scenes were ok and certainly eye appealing for young kids but I didn't care for them. Downey Jr is what carries Iron Man through out, He is rather entertaining. Expand
Trev29Mar 31, 2012
I utterly despise this movie. Horribly bad and stupid. Nothing about it was enjoyable and I felt like the story was going no where. Everybody who says this is good has no taste.
marcmyworksNov 27, 2013
Probably the best superhero film made thus far. The casting, the story, the depth of the characters; everything is perfect in what is the beginning of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
CineAutoctonoAug 1, 2015
Amazing movie, there is no doubt to express this, Iron Man is Marvel superhero fashion , excellent role that nobody Robert Downey Jr. compares. Incredible!.
TokyochuchuJun 30, 2014
Iron Man is awesome! From the performance of Robert Downy Jr to the inclusion of Jeff Bridges to the snappy writing to the sharp directing. It all comes up aces. Great stuff.
ZilcellMay 11, 2012
This is one of the first superhero movies to take a hero this isn't mainstream and have a successful story. There is plenty of action and Robert Downey Jr. is perfect as Iron Man.
FranzHcriticNov 9, 2013
'Iron Man' is a charismatic, thorough, and witty ploy of the classic Marvels character. Robert Downey Jr. has the charm and humorous spirit that drives the film. He's a respectable actor, who doesn't get enough credit. The whole movie is'Iron Man' is a charismatic, thorough, and witty ploy of the classic Marvels character. Robert Downey Jr. has the charm and humorous spirit that drives the film. He's a respectable actor, who doesn't get enough credit. The whole movie is clear and leaves you with an entertained feeling rather than a confused or disappointed one. Everyone else is "good" enough in terms of how actors normally are in a comic adaptation (Downey was born for this role). It has everything a good superhero film should have. Expand
JacobMay 12, 2015
Surprisingly Iron Man is great. The film takes a secondary comic book character and makes him awesome. The film focuses Tony Stark not Iron Man showing him going through a redemption story and he is fun to watch. The action is great and theSurprisingly Iron Man is great. The film takes a secondary comic book character and makes him awesome. The film focuses Tony Stark not Iron Man showing him going through a redemption story and he is fun to watch. The action is great and the film manages to avoid the excessive goofyness and seriousness that has plagued earlier comic-book films. The focus on characters over action makes it easy to forget that this is a comic-book movie. Iron Man is a fun stand alone summer-blockbuster and the end credits scene adds a nice bonus as its part of a bigger story. Expand
oxanaAug 25, 2014
In the mind-blowing years since Marvel Cinematic Universe was started by this movie, I have discovered new-found love and respect for this movie each time I watch it. Without a doubt this stands at the very top of my favorite movies, and itIn the mind-blowing years since Marvel Cinematic Universe was started by this movie, I have discovered new-found love and respect for this movie each time I watch it. Without a doubt this stands at the very top of my favorite movies, and it is not without its merits.

First of all: Robert Downey Jr.'s made for this part. He IS Tony Stark. His portrayal is nigh iconic, bringing life to a character that has now become known all over the world.

This movie looks good, sounds good, is funny in all the right places, moves at the right pace and is, all in all, a perfect movie.

The tragedy of what Tony's character goes through, and the kind of pain he has to overcome in order to find himself and his true purpose - and the heavy weight of what comes after - put layers and layers of emotion and darkness into what would otherwise be a traditional superhero origin story.

So much more needs to be said, but instead of that, just go watch 'Iron Man'!
MovieLonely94Nov 1, 2010
Jon Favreau made some great effort in making this superhero epic hit with some talentive acting from Robert Downey Jr.
FuturedirectorMar 19, 2016
Thanks to Jon Favreou's direction and Robert Downley Jr interpretation, this film is very intelligent,mlogical, action-packed and truly science-fiction, show an unforgettable character and another terrific film for marvel universe.
TheApplegnomeJul 29, 2014
Iron Man is an enormous good movie, that truly is packed with exciting and entertaining scenes that are fantastic to watch.

Iron Man is one of these movies that got everything from great action in a high tempo, a wonderful story, a great opening scene to fantastic special effects. It also got many unique things that truly are rare to see in movies nowadays, and combined with the great music and the exiting adventure of Tony Stark, the movie couldn't be more awesome as it is. There are almost none negative things about this movie at all, but one is that there are some objects in the film that don't look real, but overall is Iron Man a hell of a film!

Iron Man is one flawless movie that truly is cool and groovy to watch.

Iron Man gets a 9/10
StevenFFeb 14, 2013
Not only was this one of the best films of 2008, but it was probably the best Marvel 'Phase One' entry, besides 'The Avengers'. Robert Downey Jr is the star in the big suit, and nobody better could have played the genius, womanising,Not only was this one of the best films of 2008, but it was probably the best Marvel 'Phase One' entry, besides 'The Avengers'. Robert Downey Jr is the star in the big suit, and nobody better could have played the genius, womanising, care-free Tony Stark.
We start off with the wonderful sound of AC/DCs 'Highway to Hell' pocking from a military Humvee, perhaps this was karma, as we then have a little chit-chat involving Stark and soldiers, until an explosion halts their Humvee.
Rewind a few days before and we get a glimpse of the lifestyle that Stark leads, being a weapons manufacturer clearly has its perks.
We see the introduction here of many characters involved in Tony's life, his secretary/personal assistant, Pepper Potts (Gwyenth Paltrow) and his mentor and friend Obidihah Stain (a bald Jeff Bridges).
The film does not attempt to replicate or tred on any other superhero film, doing its own thing has worked wonders for everyone involved. A complete difference of approach has succeeded in Iron Man, not so much a dark tone, but something to set the bar and try its upmost to continue to do so.
After being captured, Tony decides to build an 'Iron suit' to escape the cave he is being held in, he realises that the terrorists who captured him are using his weapons and must act quickly.
The debut of the Mark suits are quite excellent, unforgettable set pieces properly balance this movie while Stark is in the suit.Downey Jr's performance is simply unforgettable, his quick-paced dialogue, confidence and charm are enough to convince anyone, his humour is quite simply brilliant.
The effects, again, are brilliant, the way the suit is put one is absolutely breathtaking, a true leap and a technological achievement. A very witty and exhilarating origin story that never slows down or plays its safe, its a popcorn movie that is so much more, all the heroic elements, but twice the wit and brain.
A welcome debut for this suited hero, its full of wit and humour from director Jon Favreau (who also cameos as Happy Hogan).
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
Iron Man is a well-balanced, action-packed adventure that will entertain all audiences. It possesses wise humor, ground-breaking CGI, a wonderful cast, and a well-grounded setting. This is a good standard for superhero films.
Bruce722May 24, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hands down one of the best superhero movies ever made. Robert Downey Jr. is fantastic as Tony Stark/Iron Man and the rest of the cast is great as well. They give life to the characters and are all amazing actors. The action sequences were done really well also. This movie has humor, drama, action, romance, intensity, and is told well. The only real issue with the plot itself is that there are a few major plot holes towards the end. For example, how is Obadiah able to see what Pepper downloaded from the computer, check on the progress of his own suit, and then get to Tony's house before Pepper even has a chance to call Tony? Another thing, how does Obadiah get into Tony's house so easily in the first place? Wouldn't you think a genius billionaire like Tony Stark has a halfway decent security system or that Jarvis would've notified Tony? Lastly, how is Obadiah able to master the nuances of his suit immediately without having any trial phase? It took Tony quit a while to master his suit's various functions and yet Obadiah was able to do this right away. These things take away from the movie and prevent it from being a perfect 10/10 but the film was still great. If you're willing to overlook a few flaws then you'll enjoy this a lot. Expand
Movie1997May 1, 2013
Since Iron Man 3 comes out this weekend, I thought I'd review the Iron Man movies and just give you my opinion. This one is easily an intense action-packed Marvel hit. I really loved this movie. It's not only a great superhero movie, but it'sSince Iron Man 3 comes out this weekend, I thought I'd review the Iron Man movies and just give you my opinion. This one is easily an intense action-packed Marvel hit. I really loved this movie. It's not only a great superhero movie, but it's how every first of a potentially successful trilogy should be. Fresh, fun and exciting. As far as the storyline goes, the dark beginning is what sells for the rest of the movie. Once it gets out that dark mood of the story, (Tony making suits for the "terrorists"), the story tends to loose its feel. Yet, once Tony has made the "main" suit and starts flying around and testing it, that's where the fun part of the story kicks in which surprisingly worked pretty well. By the end when the plot starts to thicken, that's where it not only goes back to being dark, but also has the fun and excitement along with it. The characters, except for Tony, are about average and don't really bring much to the story. But with Tony's wittiness, it tends to help save the movie and go back to the fun and excitement. Overall, it's a fresh start to this potential trilogy. Expand
diogomendesOct 3, 2014
Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Iron Man (2008)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Iron Man (2008)

Marvel Cinematic Universe is probably one of the most ambitious film franchises put together by a studio, and most likely, the best. Kevin Feige was the first person to come up with this idea. An idea of creating a shared media universe, grouping famous super-heroes into the big screen. I personally love this idea. Imagining Iron Man teaming up with notable Marvel characters such as: Hulk, Captain America and Thor as well other characters like Black Window and Hawkeye is just extraordinary. Of course I want Spider-Man and Wolverine to join The Avengers, but the movie rights of these characters belong to Sony and Fox, respectively. To do that, those studios need to sell their rights to Marvel but since that’s not gonna happen, they will stick with their own universe. Unfortunately. However, that doesn’t stop Marvel Studios from offering gritty, smarts movies to cinema and also developing stories that lead to bigger and better things. And that’s where “Iron Man” comes in. This movie starts the Phase 1 of this large universe and it’s not only gripping and entertaining, but it’s also amusing and clever, and seems to comprehend the essence of super-heroes. It’s a rousing ride from the beginning to the end, a heartwarming summer blockbuster that takes its incredibleness to higher levels.

Robert Downey Jr. brings a sunny personality into his character, providing fresh and energetic dialogue while also improvising his own lines. He’s the perfect choice for Iron Man. Thank you Marvel Studios for hiring such incredibly talented actor to portray this marvelous character. Thank you. Downey’s character is funny, clever, quick and most important, strong. I swear to God if I could choose anyone to be my partner or best friend, I would choose Robert. About Gwyneth Paltrow, I don’t know why she’s so bashed by everyone. She did very well in this film, to be honest. Maybe I should watch more of her movies (Oh well). Another actor I would like to point out is ah… Jeff Bridges. Jeff’s thick voice makes the villain sound menacing and dangerous, and his performance in this blockbuster is outstanding. I’m not gonna lie, I laughed my ass off when his character started yelling at the poor doctor: “TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!!!! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!” XD. One minor flaw I would like to point out is that when Obadiah fights with Tony at the nearly end, he knows perfectly how to use the suit. How? He didn’t test it before, like Stark did. Maybe I’m nitpicking a little bit, but when you have these flaws in the narrative, it prevents you from giving a better score to these movies (*cough* The Dark Knight Rises *cough*). However, the actor fits the role of Iron Monger, a flying robotic weapon that fires air-to-surface missiles. He’s really good in combat, which takes us to the next point.

The fight sequences. The fight scenes, although few, are very well done. No shaky cams, no quick zooms or even disturbing amount of explosions (eww Transformers). I’m not gonna say it’s better than those action sequences in “Captain America: The Winter of Soldier”, but it’s definitely pure exciting and visually stunning. Iron Man flying around is fun to watch and the last fight sequence remains spectacular and believable. If there’s something that it’s difficult to capture in super-heroes movies is belief. Movies that successfully did that are Nolan’s Batman trilogy and the first Amazing Spider-Man, and even those have their “suspension of disbelief” moments.

But the highlight of the film is gotta be the storytelling. The way that the film’s narrative flows throughout the movie is fantastic. The story kept my attention, and that’s very hard to do when you’re writing a script and developing characters. It doesn’t throw every information into one film. You know… like “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” did. It doesn’t spend its time trying to set-up future Marvel movies and TV series. The story focus ONLY on the main character and his motivations, personality and past, while occasionally introducing characters that are going to play a major role in the Marvel franchise. That’s how you set-up sequels and crossovers! Even when the movie is not focusing on Tony Stark, the story also manages to entertain the filmgoers with spectacle thrills and proper character development, even if sometimes falls into typical clichés of modern blockbusters. But just few of them. It’s also fun to see the pacing of this flick, which I think it’s beautiful. Another great thing I would like to point out is the directing. Joss Whedon is the director of this movie, and also the character known as Happy Hogan who does a tremendous job in this super-hero movie. He didn’t do a very good job with “Cowboys and Aliens” but with this film, he outstands himself.

Final Score to Iron Man: 9/10. At the end of the day, “Iron Man” is gritty, entertaining and funny (occasionally, thanks to Robert’s charm) .
drlowdonOct 16, 2013
One of the first movies made by Marvel Studio's the original Iron Man remains, with the possible exception of Josh Whedon's 'The Avengers', my favourite superhero movie. With a great mix of humour (Robert Downey Jr was born to play TonyOne of the first movies made by Marvel Studio's the original Iron Man remains, with the possible exception of Josh Whedon's 'The Avengers', my favourite superhero movie. With a great mix of humour (Robert Downey Jr was born to play Tony Stark), a number of great action scenes and an excellent soundtrack this is the perfect reminder of just how good a summer blockbuster can be. Expand
axelkochMar 15, 2013
Iron Man is awesome! Robert Downey Jr. is great while the supporting actors are not inferior to him. The screenplay is very good, the few actual action scenes are well made and the characters are relatable and not just after a certainIron Man is awesome! Robert Downey Jr. is great while the supporting actors are not inferior to him. The screenplay is very good, the few actual action scenes are well made and the characters are relatable and not just after a certain pattern. It's sad that Marvel hasn't made another movie like this because it's outstanding for a sci-fi-action movie. There are a couple of flaws with it (mainly in the end battle between Downey Jr. and Bridges) that hamper Iron Man from
being a totally awesome movie, but it sure as hell is one of the best superhero-movies I've seen in my life.
MrMovieBuffMay 28, 2015
This is where the Marvel Cinematic Universe began, and possibly the benchmark for comic book movies in general. Before there was 'Captain America: The First Avenger' (2011), before there was even 'The Avengers' (2012), there was 'Iron Man'.This is where the Marvel Cinematic Universe began, and possibly the benchmark for comic book movies in general. Before there was 'Captain America: The First Avenger' (2011), before there was even 'The Avengers' (2012), there was 'Iron Man'.

Robert Downey Jr. makes a comeback for his career as Tony Stark, an eccentric businessman who gets kidnapped and builds a robotic, weapon suit and manages to escape. Gwyneth Paltrow is Pepper Potts, Tony's assistant throughout the entire film.

Jon Favreau, best known as Pete Becker from 'Friends' (Monica's rich boyfriend), and directing 'Elf' (2003) directs this movie with confidence and sure-handedness. 'Transformers' (2007) was released the year before, and I complained that the action scenes, while dazzling, were a bit of a technological mess. Here, you know it's strange when a comedy actor/director can craft a better action movie than Michael Bay, a filmmaker from day one and has directed many action films in his career, but hasn't won the respect of any film critic or audience member.

Jeff Bridges plays Obidiah Stane, the main villain of the film who wants Stark's technology and will do anything to get it.

'Iron Man' is a dazzling summer action blockbuster, full of the comedy charm we expect from Robert Downey Jr. and the action scenes are cleaner and less confusing than the ones in 'Transformers' (2007).

This movie, along with 'The Dark Knight' (2008) are two of the best comic book movies of 2008, and they have raised the bar for the genre. This is fun, and edgy. No other Marvel movie could be a better start to a fantastic universe.
OfficialNov 4, 2013
"Iron Man" is an excellent Marvel movie. Everything in it is great: the cast, the story, the effects, the villain. This is the type of superhero movie that I enjoy watching, and I can watch this many more times without getting bored.
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
Iron Man started it all for the MCU, and what a movie it was. Its still one of my favourite MCU movies, as it has very good writing, action, casting and performances all around.
RayzorMooseNov 13, 2013
Iron Man is the real deal.
With great action sequences, Iron Man is not only entertaining, but also intriguing. A deep look into an unpopular hero with wonderful character development and a decent plot.