8.3

1. Apr 29, 2013
    This is Robert Downey JR's film. He is Iron Man and he is the thing that propels the film ok comic book film, to great comic book movie. Definitely watch this movie, especially if you want to get the most out of watching the avengers.
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the best superhero movies i've ever seen, but not the best. I like Downey and the character of him. I love this movie.
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    The action and humor is amazingly strong and unnecessary to prove the movie that its worth more than the others; in the end, "Iron Man" is just a decent summer blockbuster.
  4. Aug 19, 2012
    It's an origin story minus the boredom. There's a whole lot of action, drama and humor that will keep you on the edge of your seats. Intensely exciting, you can't keep your eyes off the screen because any moment, something intriguing may unfold. Great script, great director, great actors, what more can you ask for?
  5. Nov 1, 2010
    Jon Favreau made some great effort in making this superhero epic hit with some talentive acting from Robert Downey Jr.
  6. Feb 29, 2012
    the plot of the whole movie could fit in 30 minutes, followed by some real action for the next hour or so. unfortunately, instead the 30 minutes plot fills 2 hours and makes for a very boring movie. good for kids below the age of 16 i would say.
  7. Dec 23, 2012
    I don't see what's so great about this film. Little to no action, very cheesey and predictable, almost no plot at all and very eventless. Some OK parts but on the whole, a waste of time.
  8. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A mediocre interpretation of yet another comic book. Despite the half-decent acting the mediocre action scenes, story and corny dialogue means the movie will be just that: mediocre. In Iron Man we follow the actions of a rich, technophiliac industrialist that suffers from a mild case of misogyny and after a brief encounter with "terrorists" decides to turn his live around and fight the "corruption" that's present in his company. Hillarity ensues as Iron Man does everything the audience hopes they could one day do and it all ends with one big fight versus true evil. Namely his ex-weapon manufacturing partner. The movie lasts about 30 to 45 minutes too long and the musical score is nothing short of annoying, playing at every opportune moment to really communicate to the viewer just how serious the scene is that they are looking at and that they should really be feeling some kind of emotion.There's a female lead in this movie but she's nothing short of a submissive and sexy secretary that is purely there to Well.. What is she there for, any way? They could have just introduced another Deus Ex machinafor everthing she's asked to do, it wouldn't have mattered. They stopped trying to go for plausible scenarios after the first 10 minutes or so. I think Hollywood directors make these movies according to a template, they all sort of start and end the same way. You could easily replace Iron Man with Spider Man or Batman and half the audience wouldn't even really notice. Expand
  9. Mar 30, 2012
    Iron Man is iron trash. Where is the action but besides that the movie comes across as just stupid. Robert Downey Jr. talks way too much in this film which makes him very annoying. Just another stupid action movie but with more stupid in it.
  10. Mar 31, 2012
    I utterly despise this movie. Horribly bad and stupid. Nothing about it was enjoyable and I felt like the story was going no where. Everybody who says this is good has no taste.
  11. Aug 11, 2010
    Jon Favreau's "Iron Man" was a film no one I knew believed in mainly due to the star of the film Robert Downey, Jr. playing the lead as the eccentric and ever so quirky hero Tony Stark. But after hearing much hype and seeing the praise it received from critics and audiences my dad and I went to the theaters to the see the much hyped " Iron Man", I walked in slightly skeptical of theJon Favreau's "Iron Man" was a film no one I knew believed in mainly due to the star of the film Robert Downey, Jr. playing the lead as the eccentric and ever so quirky hero Tony Stark. But after hearing much hype and seeing the praise it received from critics and audiences my dad and I went to the theaters to the see the much hyped " Iron Man", I walked in slightly skeptical of the film not knowing of the talent of Robert Downey Jr. or Jon Favreau. I remember sitting there as the lights dimmed wondering if this film is going to live up to the hype it has established or even be worth the sixteen bucks. As the film rolled on, I sat there in awe of this magnificent and glorious science fiction/superhero thriller. "Iron Man" is a fast paced, outrageously funny, dark, complex and witty thrill ride that not only single hand revive the career of Robert Downey, Jr. but shot him straight up into the stratosphere of fame It's the kind of film that the minute it's over you want to see it again. Then when it ends a second time, you want to see it a third time and then a fourth. Hell you will want to see it as many times as you can it is just too good to ignore or hate. "Iron Man" takes off at a thousand miles per hour and pulls the audiences in on the ride of a lifetime with breathtaking special effects, mind-blowing action, outrageous plot twist and RDJ. leading it all the way to the number 2 spot amongst comic book adaptations solidifying it as one of the best and showing the world Robert Downey Jr.'s talent. I loved the wit and charm of this movie, I loved the grittiness and dark complexity of the characters it seems everyone of them has there own problems in one way or another they all are dealing with emotional problems which makes them a real class act of complicated characters. The film draws it strength from its characters it feeds off there power , there emotions it uses them not only as actors but as the main power source for the films ferocity and drive there crucial to it and the with the wrong actors this film would have fallen apart faster than those boy bands from the 90's. Thanks to brilliant casting and phenomenal direction from Jon Favreau â Expand
  12. Nov 6, 2010
    Smarter than your average superhero movie, Iron Man is very entertaining, largely in part because of its strong leads, clever dialogue and realistic characters. It's really too bad the sequel was so disappointing.
  13. Aug 21, 2010
    i knew nothing about iron man till i seen this film . as comic books to movies go this is one of the better ones . really i was very sketch on this espicialy with robert downy jr. i wasnt sure if he could pull it off but he did . he came across very well as tony stark as this lovable self absorbed jerk. who was actually pretty funny and entertaining to see . there was some good actiion ai knew nothing about iron man till i seen this film . as comic books to movies go this is one of the better ones . really i was very sketch on this espicialy with robert downy jr. i wasnt sure if he could pull it off but he did . he came across very well as tony stark as this lovable self absorbed jerk. who was actually pretty funny and entertaining to see . there was some good actiion a pretty decent plot . my gripes are though there just wasnt enough action . the final battle seemed way to short . still though it was a fun film and downy kept it entertaining enough through the actionless parts. Expand
  14. Aug 17, 2010
    Iron Man stands in my mind as the greatest super hero film released thus far. With a phenomenal mix of great acting, near-perfect special effects, humor, and story, this film simultaneously gave me hope that future Marvel movies might actually be good, and brought the wonderful Robert Downey, Jr. back into the limelight. As a character, the protagonist, Tony Stark, is in every way theIron Man stands in my mind as the greatest super hero film released thus far. With a phenomenal mix of great acting, near-perfect special effects, humor, and story, this film simultaneously gave me hope that future Marvel movies might actually be good, and brought the wonderful Robert Downey, Jr. back into the limelight. As a character, the protagonist, Tony Stark, is in every way the perfect vehicle for Downey, Jr. as he assuredly inhabits the role and plays it out to its limit. Pushing the boundaries at every turn, Stark is a chauvinistic, rich, pompous ass of a man. However, unlike his would-be DC counterpart in The Dark Knight, he is actually more entertaining to watch in many respects than his superhero alter ego. Stark manages to be both funny and endearing throughout the film- a brilliantly written script from Fergus, Ostby, Marcum, and Holloway makes every scene both witty and often-times hilarious, without being campy. I found myself eagerly awaiting Downey, Jr.'s next impeccably delivered line as much as I looked forward to seeing the suit. An all-star cast is used to the fullest, with solid performances from both Jeff Bridges, Terrence Howard, and Gwyneth Paltrow, even if they were a bit under-utilized. I enjoyed the fact that this movie also adhered pretty closely, if not entirely, to the comic storyline. At the very least, they captured the essence of a lesser-known superhero and made him appeal to the general public. In a nice little tribute to avid readers, Iron Monger is portrayed in this film as the main antagonist. Unfortunately, I would say where Iron Man trips up the most is in the story. The climax of the film, though mostly satisfying, leaves something to be desired. This is because prior to this action sequence, there are brilliant set pieces that are used in other battles, and the final fight doesn't match up. However, the final scene wraps up the movie beautifully and leaves us wanting more- unlike a movie starring a certain Caped Crusaderâ Expand
  15. Sep 1, 2010
    Playboy, weapons owner, inventor bloke lives it large until he gets caught by enemy soldiers in the Middle-East. Escapes A-Team style, finds out his company are doing dodgy arms deals, becomes a super hero.
    Really enjoyable Marvel romp, good script, great effects & a decent story despite being predictable. Downey Jnr is perfect as the lead & is supported well by Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard & the fantastic Jeff Bridges.
    Nicely set up for a sequel.
  16. Dec 5, 2010
    Amazing movie. Iron Man is a great superhero and character. Each character is developed nicely, each action scene is nicely done, each actor did great in their roles, and it has a great optimistic tone to it which helps the entertainment factor, which is high.
  17. May 12, 2015
    Surprisingly Iron Man is great. The film takes a secondary comic book character and makes him awesome. The film focuses Tony Stark not Iron Man showing him going through a redemption story and he is fun to watch. The action is great and the film manages to avoid the excessive goofyness and seriousness that has plagued earlier comic-book films. The focus on characters over action makes itSurprisingly Iron Man is great. The film takes a secondary comic book character and makes him awesome. The film focuses Tony Stark not Iron Man showing him going through a redemption story and he is fun to watch. The action is great and the film manages to avoid the excessive goofyness and seriousness that has plagued earlier comic-book films. The focus on characters over action makes it easy to forget that this is a comic-book movie. Iron Man is a fun stand alone summer-blockbuster and the end credits scene adds a nice bonus as its part of a bigger story. Expand
  18. Oct 6, 2010
    I liked the movie, but felt it was a bit overrated. I didn't see what was so special about Robert Downey Jr. And for the record, the Dark Knight is a much better movie.
  19. Oct 18, 2010
    Such a welcome and unexpected surprise as Iron Man defies expectation and turns out to be something quite special. Exceptionally cast; Robert Downey Jr. steals the show and blows away all the other competition. It's very funny, action packed and although it may lack a overall plot, Iron Man turns out to be a fun filled ride that you half wish would never end.
  20. Mar 9, 2011
    Iron Man is brought to life because of Robert Downey Jr. he was the perfect person for the part, he pulled it off so well, and while it might not be the most kid friendly super hero movie it's still an amazing one.
  21. Jun 30, 2014
    Iron Man is awesome! From the performance of Robert Downy Jr to the inclusion of Jeff Bridges to the snappy writing to the sharp directing. It all comes up aces. Great stuff.
  22. May 8, 2011
    (WARNING: SOME SPOILERS) The problem with Iron Man is that in the first part it completely focuses on Afghanistan which is going through some problems at the moment. And it was boring at some parts. But then again the movie could be worse so I'm going to give it a 6
  23. Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks to its excellent cast, especially Robert Downey Jr., the awesome humor, impressive action, and great script, Iron Man is one of the best comic book movies of all time!
  24. Mar 19, 2011
    Iron Man was a huge surprise. And a very pleasant one at that. Going into the summer of 2008, my attention was completely preoccupied with The Dark Knight, The Incredible Hulk, Kung Fu Panda, Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, Indiana Jones 4, Wanted, Hellboy II, Wall-E, Step Brothers and The Mummy 3. All of which were very hyped up titles that had people lining up for them. But, amongIron Man was a huge surprise. And a very pleasant one at that. Going into the summer of 2008, my attention was completely preoccupied with The Dark Knight, The Incredible Hulk, Kung Fu Panda, Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, Indiana Jones 4, Wanted, Hellboy II, Wall-E, Step Brothers and The Mummy 3. All of which were very hyped up titles that had people lining up for them. But, among them was one of the best comic book movies ever made. As much as I love The Dark Knight and Tropic Thunder (they're in my top three favorite all-time movies), I think that Iron Man is superior to both of them in many ways. It is highly entertaining, throughout. It doesn't matter if you like Superheroes, or not. There is something in this film for just about everyone. The few action scenes are top notch. My personal favorite is the scene when Iron Man returns to the Middle East to destroy all of his weapons. The acting is phenomenal. Robert Downey Jr. was beyond perfect as Tony Stark. I am always glad to see A-listers give their all in these types of films because it proves that they are not just for children and geeks (honestly, we all still have a little of both in us). The rest of the amazing cast consists of Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard and even Samuel L. Jackson in a surprise post-credits cameo. I also have to mention the director, Jon Favreau. I only knew him from comedies and tv, but he did a great job with this big blockbuster. Despite the great action, direction , and superb casting, the real key to this movie's excellence is the script. The writing is not quite as deep and dark as The Dark Knight, but for a supposedly "summer popcorn action flick", it is right on par. It never hurts to get a team of actual comic book writers along with the creator himself, Stan The Man, to guide you and tell you what fits, and what doesn't. That is the only way to make a comic book character come to life, just as he is on the pages. And in the end it will always pay off with the most important group in the audience, the fans. I cannot say that without admitting something though. I was never an avid reader of the Iron Man comics, although he does make an appearance in alot of my books. But I am very familiar with the character, not only from my comics that he is in, but also the cartoon from the 90's. I still try to catch episodes of the cartoon to this day. The reason I never got into his comic arc is because, I honestly had no interest in the villains he fought, except for the Hulk. Most of his villains were just big robots and monsters (Godzilla was actually one of them). With that said, I was still happy to see that they chose a very conventional first villain, Iron Monger. As long as they never make a movie with M.O.D.O.K., I will be happy. My only complaint about this movie is how scarce the action is. There are only really three scenes of action in total. I know it may seem a little hypocritical for me to complain about the action in Iron Man and give it a 90%, when I gave The Dark Knight 100%, and it had even less action than Iron Man. But the difference between the two is that Iron Man is an action movie, but in my opinion, The Dark Knight is a drama. Alot of people would probably disagree with that statement, but after watching both films many many times, that's the feeling I get about them. The action scenes that it does have are beautiful though. I just think Jon Favreau is not an action director, so he played it safe. In the end, that may have been why Iron Man was so great. I was really surprised that Iron Man became one of my favorite movies. It reminds me of how i felt about Star Trek. I had my doubts, but those doubts were completely shattered after seeing it. I cannot wait for Iron Man 2. I'm hoping that it repeats the cycle of great comic book movie sequels. Following in the footsteps of X2, Spider-man 2, The Dark Knight, The Incredible Hulk (if you consider that a sequel), and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (just kidding). Expand
  25. May 6, 2013
    Great film with an amazingly well-translated origin story. The first half of this film is fantastic, for both casual movie-goers and hardcore comic book fans alike. However, unfortunately, the film starts to lose a bit of direction in the second half it never gets bad...it just starts to fall a little bit flat. I don't feel like Iron Monger was strong enough of a villain to carry theGreat film with an amazingly well-translated origin story. The first half of this film is fantastic, for both casual movie-goers and hardcore comic book fans alike. However, unfortunately, the film starts to lose a bit of direction in the second half it never gets bad...it just starts to fall a little bit flat. I don't feel like Iron Monger was strong enough of a villain to carry the ending. Great movie overall though, one of Marvel's best. Expand
  26. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the first movies made by Marvel Studio's the original Iron Man remains, with the possible exception of Josh Whedon's 'The Avengers', my favourite superhero movie. With a great mix of humour (Robert Downey Jr was born to play Tony Stark), a number of great action scenes and an excellent soundtrack this is the perfect reminder of just how good a summer blockbuster can be.
  27. Jun 15, 2011
    Well done super-hero movie! Robert Downey Jr. plays Tony Stark amazingly well and the movie tells the beginnings of our beloved super-hero Iron Man in a very modern and great manner. Must see for every comic book fan!
  28. Jun 18, 2011
    Great movie. This is one of the best superhero movies that I have seen in a very long time. This movie outdid my entire expectations. This movie was great in theaters and is still great on Blu-ray.
  29. Jul 5, 2011
    This movie is amazing because of Jon Favreau's directing and Robert Downey Jr's acting. The only thing this movie lacks is action scenes, because there isnt that many of them.
  30. Aug 1, 2011
    The first movie from Marvel Studios began with a huge bang thanks to its competent director and charismatic star. Robert Downey Jr. brought so much energy to this role it seems he was born to play it. **** and confident and struggling to make right what he believes he helped make wrong. I never read any of these comics, because Iâ

1. Downey plays off his own bad-boy image wonderfully. The writers give him great lines to work with and ditto that for his Girl Friday, Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts, whose own svelte lines cannot be improved on.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ever-eclectic director Jon Favreau, who briefly pops up onscreen as a Stark minion, maintains a brisk but not frantic pace, and, in concert with lenser Matthew Libatique, production designer J. Michael Riva and the first-rate visual effects team, has made an unusually elegant looking film for the genre.
  3. Loyal assistant, Pepper Potts, isn't much of a part, but Gwyneth Paltrow is a presence. She stands around looking amused and flabbergastingly pretty, slinging wisecracks with serene aplomb.