Iron Man

8.5

1. halb
    May 5, 2008
    Check your brain at the door and have a blast. Very entertaining for the genre. Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are excellent. A fine mix of plot, character quirks, humor and special effects (not overdone for a change; until the ending). The climax is predictable and cliche'd, but otherwise this is a fine summetime (okay, springtime) escape.
  2. IronMan
    May 5, 2008
    This was an amazing movie! the special effects were irreplaceable the weapons and gadgetry were awesome and the suit was CRAZY best movie ever
  3. LindaW.
    May 6, 2008
    Finally, Robert Downy Jr. is back!
  4. AlexC.
    May 7, 2008
    I can't believe all the good reviews here Downey spends more than half the movie making the Iron Suit and making eyes at Gwenyth Paltrow. YAWN !!!!
  5. DavidV.
    May 7, 2008
    A fun summer movie with great special effects and performances. I found the last battle to a be a little anti-climactic though.
  6. RichardO.
    May 7, 2008
    Needed more action scenes, but altogether a sound movie. The trailers really gave up too much of what the movie was about. By the way, stay after the movie credits are over, there's more secret footage.
  7. KA
    May 7, 2008
    The worst. Another manichean cartoon using our sad political state to justify it's embarrassing and simplistic obsession with power.
  8. Traveller1976
    May 8, 2008
    Fantastic; refreshing. I finally belief in the flawed anti-hero on the big screen Downey and Favreau deliver a power punch yet delicate film one I will care about later.
  9. JG.
    May 9, 2008
    Surprise! This movie was actually great. Terrence Howard which normally is fantastic was a little campy and Gwyneth who played smart through out the movie had the dumb scary screen girl moment with cheesy lines, but the rest was awesome. Robert, who was always one of my favorite actors since his B/C-list days of "Tuff Turf" early 80s flick look it up, is back on top.
  10. AvicennaA.
    May 9, 2008
    Spectacular, funny, refreshing, and excellently crafted!
  11. JacobL.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Best of film of the summer. It deserves an Oscar.
  12. CliffB
    Jun 13, 2008
    Good for what it is, a comic book super hero movie. Much more enjoyable than the last Spider Man movie. I would like to see a less predictable story, but hey like I said, it is what it is and it does a good job doing it. I had doubts about them being able to pull of Iron Man with the masses. Great casting.
  13. ArmaganC.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Val Kilmer as Batman? No way..... Hugh Jackman as wolverine ? !00% right choice, has soul and hearth. Downey Jr. is Tony Stark ,nothing more or less ,with hearth and soul, like Jack Nicholson as Joker. Come on people, don´t throw some 2-3 rating for this movie , it is the first Iron man movie.There were many failures at Batman History and at the and we have majestic glorius Batman Val Kilmer as Batman? No way..... Hugh Jackman as wolverine ? !00% right choice, has soul and hearth. Downey Jr. is Tony Stark ,nothing more or less ,with hearth and soul, like Jack Nicholson as Joker. Come on people, don´t throw some 2-3 rating for this movie , it is the first Iron man movie.There were many failures at Batman History and at the and we have majestic glorius Batman Begins. Iron man will grow with a good placed sequel ,i have faith.Go to Cinema , watch it ,enjoy ,it is worth to do. Expand
  14. ChuckN.
    Jun 20, 2008
    I though Iron man was a really good movie. It had action, humor and a excellent storyline. I can't wait when they make a second iron man in 2010.
  15. MinhN
    Jun 27, 2008
    Not what I expected. Some very very obvious product placement and not enough storyline but a decent film overall.
  16. BrandonT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    One of the best action films I've ever seen. Excellent acting and a gripping story with a well done script. I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies though and it didn't quite feel like a classic.
  17. MarkoJ.
    Jun 7, 2008
    I liked this one very much. Downing was great. I do wish that not every movie had to be about how corporations are evil, and the U.S. Government is evil. Maybe we could be the good guys? But the movie is pretty close to the books, and it was very entertaining and well done. A must see if you like smart action movies.
  18. Jester
    Jul 10, 2008
    Is anyone else out there getting sick of good actors taking paydays by getting dressed up in superhero costumes? Are we really facing a generation that has the maturity level of a 12 year old boy? In any case, I thought the movie was entertaining.
  19. KurtC.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Very good stroryline.Only problem is that obadiah stane is like santa claus with a shaved head and the iron monger armor looks like a hunk of scrap metal.Overall, its a very good film
  20. ChrisC.
    Jul 13, 2008
    A pretty good movie, with some obvious product placement, and some unrealistic CGI. What I cannot see though, is how IMDB managed to place Ironman in its top 250 movies of all time.
  21. MarkW.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Sure the plot line was not earth-shattering but this is a popcorn munching film based on a comic book. The humor, the characters, the action and the special effects are acting are more than supported by a simple but effective plotline. IMO better than the Spiderman movies and a different beast than the more introspective Batman Begins and Dark Knight.
  22. AndrewP.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Easily the best superhero film of the year, forget about any film that tries too hard to be dark and brooding - superhero films should be fun and this certainly is.
  23. JoeyZ.
    Sep 13, 2008
    Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen this year! Highly entertaining! You should definitely see this movie!
  24. Czar
    Sep 15, 2008
    It was ok - I expected more. The whole cave scene was silly - of all the things he could of done - why build a suit? The ending was boring and confusing. The film was entertaining but shallow in development and had some big holes in it.
  25. JayH.
    Sep 24, 2008
    The film obviously has a top notch production, the special effects are first rate, the art direction outstanding. Good performances. I do feel it was lacking in substance and clearly was not as enthralled with the film as most. It indeed is imaginative.
  26. AndrewK.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Tony Stark is hilarious! Great acting, great story, great Action! Very entertaining, can't wait to see what Marvel cooks up next. The Avengers, perhaps?
  27. ZackaryS.
    Sep 29, 2008
    I dont normally go around giving 10's out unless i really mean it and i really do mean it. this is the must own DVD of the YEAR!
  28. DaveH
    Dec 8, 2009
    Definitely an amazing film. No words to describe it.
  29. MasterOrb
    Apr 29, 2009
    Only one problem: the idea that you can tell terrorists you are building a rocket while imprisoned in their secret base but secretly build a huge metal suit, all while on closed-circuit TV, without them knowing. I know you're supposed to suspend your disbelief with comic book movies but this was so ridiculous that it really took me out of the film. besides that, it kicks.
  30. JohnW
    Oct 13, 2008
    Likely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Pay attention to those that score this movie with a low rating; they're actually the ones who know what they're talking about. Movie Summary: over 45 minutes of watching our hero build the machine. If I wanted to watch the 'A-Team' again with B.A. Baracus I would, but I certainly wouldn't want 45 minutes straight. Likely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Pay attention to those that score this movie with a low rating; they're actually the ones who know what they're talking about. Movie Summary: over 45 minutes of watching our hero build the machine. If I wanted to watch the 'A-Team' again with B.A. Baracus I would, but I certainly wouldn't want 45 minutes straight. He then flies away in his machine and is picked up by his American friends. Rest of Movie Summary: Our hero has a change of heart and decides to not build weapons for the military. Yet, of course he builds one for himself and carries on to destroy some badboy 'terrorists'. Our hero tweaks machine to perfect the machine. This process takes an additional 30 minutes minimum. Weak romance/humor displayed between our hero and his secretary. Villain of movie makes bigger version of the flying gayboy contraption. Villain of movie wacks our hero around for awhile, hero of course wins battle of the gayboy flying machines. This movie is utterly pathetic with poorly played 'terrorists' and scenes that dwelled far too long to get the point across. If I could get my money back, I would. Time not well spent. Oh, 2 points is awarded for the 'cool' sunglasses that I'm sure gayfanboys around the world will flock to buy. Expand

1. Downey plays off his own bad-boy image wonderfully. The writers give him great lines to work with and ditto that for his Girl Friday, Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts, whose own svelte lines cannot be improved on.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ever-eclectic director Jon Favreau, who briefly pops up onscreen as a Stark minion, maintains a brisk but not frantic pace, and, in concert with lenser Matthew Libatique, production designer J. Michael Riva and the first-rate visual effects team, has made an unusually elegant looking film for the genre.
  3. Loyal assistant, Pepper Potts, isn't much of a part, but Gwyneth Paltrow is a presence. She stands around looking amused and flabbergastingly pretty, slinging wisecracks with serene aplomb.