Columbia Pictures | Release Date: May 15, 1987
5.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 14 Ratings
WATCH NOW
cameronmorewoodNov 5, 2012
Ishtar is literally the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life. Anyone who sits through it, is either socially/financially obligated to, or they just hate themselves that much.
PatC.Jan 7, 2004
Seems unfair to kick a film that has been so universally panned. But that's never stopped me before.
SamOct 29, 2005
Ishtar isn't funny, it isn't clever, and it isn't entertaining, the complete opposite of Young Frankenstein, a true comedy classic. It is however, so damn close to being so bad it's good though.
PatrickN.Oct 31, 2003
This is one of the funniest, saterically witty films ever made. It is a classic.
YoonMinC.Sep 26, 2003
I probably missed much of the humor since I'm not too familiar with the road movies Ishtar is parodying, but what really hurts this movie is its insane scale. Why this threadbare but fun comic material had to be given the Lawrence of I probably missed much of the humor since I'm not too familiar with the road movies Ishtar is parodying, but what really hurts this movie is its insane scale. Why this threadbare but fun comic material had to be given the Lawrence of Arabia treatment is beyond comprehension. Elaine May, known for her nimble wit, is left straining her meager cinematic muscles in this white elephant of a movie. Hoffman and Beatty seem confused and lost, as though they're stuck with material beneath their dignity. Expand
JocelynP.Jan 24, 2005
Totally misunderstood, misjudged, HILARIOUS movie. It's a thrill to see Hoffman and Beatty enjoy their against typecast parts.