6.3

1. Dec 24, 2012
    This is a superb thriller and one of my favorite films this year. Story and characters are both very compelling and it was great to see how Reacher unraveled the mystery. I don't get the negative responses and suspect most probably have to do with a personal dislike of Tom Cruise or that the movie was not exactly like the books. Regardless, I loved the pacing and thought the action wasThis is a superb thriller and one of my favorite films this year. Story and characters are both very compelling and it was great to see how Reacher unraveled the mystery. I don't get the negative responses and suspect most probably have to do with a personal dislike of Tom Cruise or that the movie was not exactly like the books. Regardless, I loved the pacing and thought the action was great and all very realistic. Reacher is also an extremely interesting character to learn about... very intelligent, sarcastic and witty, mysterious, and strong. He's analogous to James Bond and Cruise does a fantastic job here. I very highly recommend this movie. Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    The movie was going along pretty good until they had to throw in the gratutious cleavage throughout the whole second half. Her wide eyed constant disbelief look / Alex from SVU voice threw me off too.
    I can't picture Tom Cruise as a menacing tough guy. Sorry, it just didn't work for me.
  3. May 3, 2013
    Honestly. as movies get worse and worse I have become more lenient This movie was well done. Don't expect an action pact thriller though. I loved the small anti government messages and the bad taste towards cops! love to see a movie that reaches out to the non brain washed citizen. the bad reviews are from washed up retards just wanting shock value. End the Feds! peace!
  4. Dec 22, 2012
    While I thought the movie could have used a couple more action scenes the plot made up for any lack. The few fight scenes were, however, extremely well done. It's a great crime whodunnit and cruise keeps the tension and suspense going throughout. Duvall has a short part but helps make the film. Whenever there is great disparity in critic reviews (0-83). (Note that the WSJ gave the 0) myWhile I thought the movie could have used a couple more action scenes the plot made up for any lack. The few fight scenes were, however, extremely well done. It's a great crime whodunnit and cruise keeps the tension and suspense going throughout. Duvall has a short part but helps make the film. Whenever there is great disparity in critic reviews (0-83). (Note that the WSJ gave the 0) my radar goes up. A scene where Reacher explains why he lives off the grid away from our programmed work/sleep routine effectively lifts the veil on those Wall St Nazis who've literally enslaved us all and I believe that is what pissed off their media whores. Show them that you see through their smokescreen and go enjoy the film - and think about the deeper message -it's an interesting one. Expand
  5. Dec 24, 2012
    For putting this character up on screen for the first time I thought they pulled this off well. Few missteps but an overall well made movie that does the character justice while satisfying where it should. Good time.
  6. Dec 24, 2012
    Definitely entertaining. This is not a complicated film nor should anyone expect anything more than a couple of car chases and some fight scenes. Story is mildly entertaining and Robert Duval adds his usual excellence. The film is so basic that it makes slow pitch softball look high-speed, but given that even Tom Cruise could screw it up. Sorry I never forgave him for the debacle that wasDefinitely entertaining. This is not a complicated film nor should anyone expect anything more than a couple of car chases and some fight scenes. Story is mildly entertaining and Robert Duval adds his usual excellence. The film is so basic that it makes slow pitch softball look high-speed, but given that even Tom Cruise could screw it up. Sorry I never forgave him for the debacle that was War of the Worlds. Captain Crazypants and the Scientology wackos must have gotten "clear" just long enough to make a movie that is just entertaining enough to fill the void between now and the next summer season. This is just like dating, set your standards low enough and you will never be disappointed. Expand
  7. Jan 2, 2013
    This was a okay story with a good story and good action scenes in it as well.But this movie gets really boring at most bit witch is the real let down. So its worth a rent but dont expect anything amazing. Jack Reacher 6.5/10
  8. Jan 4, 2013
    The only thing worthy in Jack Reacher is watching Tom Cruise being a badass. Other than that is just another decent popcorn movie that will keep you entertained enough a Saturday afternoon in which you have nothing better to do. The plot is mainly exposition-driven and it becomes so convoluted at some point that you won't mind understanding the stakes in it, which aren't very interestingThe only thing worthy in Jack Reacher is watching Tom Cruise being a badass. Other than that is just another decent popcorn movie that will keep you entertained enough a Saturday afternoon in which you have nothing better to do. The plot is mainly exposition-driven and it becomes so convoluted at some point that you won't mind understanding the stakes in it, which aren't very interesting anyway. Rosamund Pike and Robert Duvall are enjoyable to watch, Jai Courtney has a lot of potential as an action star (we'll confirm that in A Good Day To Die Hard) and Werner Herzog is just a one-dimensional Russian stereotype. But well, the flaws don't really matter, Jack Reacher achieves its goal and Cruise reminds us why he is one of the greatest action stars of all time. Expand
  9. Jan 8, 2013
    Do you want to see an entertaining popcorn movie? This one is for you. Writer-Director Mcquarrie won an Oscar for his "The Usual Suspects" screenplay, and does a great job here. Cruise's character is the type of hero that always seems to be one step ahead of the bad guys, and can handle anything thrown his way. What's wrong with that? The audience, my daughter, and myself thoroughlyDo you want to see an entertaining popcorn movie? This one is for you. Writer-Director Mcquarrie won an Oscar for his "The Usual Suspects" screenplay, and does a great job here. Cruise's character is the type of hero that always seems to be one step ahead of the bad guys, and can handle anything thrown his way. What's wrong with that? The audience, my daughter, and myself thoroughly enjoyed this film. I've never read any of the 17 Jack Reacher books, and maybe that is where the complaints are coming from. There have been books turned into movies that pissed me off because they were not true to the source, but the author didn't have a problem with this adaptation, and I don't think you will either. Expand
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Película del 2012 que apenas está llegando a nuestras salas de cine. Noveno libro de la Saga del escritor Lee Child publicado en 2005.
    Gratamente sorprendida al darme cuenta que Jack Reacher no es enteramente una película de acción, tristemente decepcionada al ver una historia floja y sin ninguna sorpresa con actuaciones pobres que no reflejan el recorrido actoral de los protagonistas.
    Inicia con una de las mejores escenas de la película y el eje central, un tiroteo perpetuado a manos de un francotirador. Francotirador que es ubicado y capturado rápidamente dejándonos pensar que su culpabilidad es inminente, sin embargo en el desarrollo de la trama las cosas cambian viendo como al entrar al juego Jack Reacher logra ubicarnos en una perspectiva diferente.
    Tom Cruise protagoniza el papel del exmilitar Jack Reacher, con una actuación predecible similar a la de Misión Imposible o Minority Report con la diferencia de que en esta tiene la habilidad de dejar mujeres suspirando por el a su paso, es Cruise el encargado de la acción, el que todo lo sabe, el que investiga, el que descubre, el que pelea, y al final el héroe, papel que ya conoce y que protagoniza perfectamente sin ningun esfuerzo. Con mucha seriedad y pocas sonrisas Reacher se adentra en la oscuridad de un guion flojo y logra desenmarañar el complot que se envuelve en medio de los intentos de convertir esta historia en un thriller.
    Excelente fueron las escenas de acción, pocas pero creíbles, buenos planos, coreografía, sonido y con mucha claridad en el momento de los golpes y puños, seguida por una espectacular persecución en auto con un buen montaje que no deja que el espectador pierda el plano ni el sentido de ubicación (Caso contrario al de las películas de Jason Bourne)
    Tristemente desaprovechadas las actuaciones de Richard Jenkins, Robert Duval, con personajes que no aportan nada actoralmente y que al parecer solo querían un dinerito extra. Rosamund Pike en un papel mediocre, que no logra pasar de la chica en apuros a la que hay que salvar, dejando por el piso el aporte femenino de la película. Con el villano tengo mis dudas, ya que queriendo dar la sensación de temor con la historia en la que se comió sus propios dedos no lo logra, por el contrario es eclipsado por Jai Courtney (Charlie) que nos regala unos buenos momentos de acción junto a Cruise.
    En resumen tenemos un thriller de acción entretenido con unas pequeña pizca de comedia, que intenta mezclar a James Bond con Sherlock Holmes sin éxito, pero al final logra salir airosa gracias a Tom Cruise que sin ser este su mejor papel ha realizado un gran trabajo intentando sacar a flote este proyecto junto con McQuarrie que debería pensarlo mejor antes de aventurarse nuevamente en el roll de director, sabiendo que como escritor ha obtenido mejores resultados como en The Usual Suspects.
    Si quieres pasar un rato entretenido junto a tus amigos en donde no tengas que utilizar tu materia gris Jack Reacher es la pelicula.
  11. Jan 24, 2013
    Jack Reacher had some good and memorable moments, but overall it just felt like a cheesy crime drama series that you can find every night on TV. This movie is based on the book "One Shot" written by Lee Child, which is just one of a series of Jack Reacher novels. So this guy is sort of an icon in the literature world, and so when they wanted to adapt a movie from it and it kind of fellJack Reacher had some good and memorable moments, but overall it just felt like a cheesy crime drama series that you can find every night on TV. This movie is based on the book "One Shot" written by Lee Child, which is just one of a series of Jack Reacher novels. So this guy is sort of an icon in the literature world, and so when they wanted to adapt a movie from it and it kind of fell flat for me. Don't get me wrong I had a good time seeing this movie and it wasn't actually bad, but there just really is nothing here that we haven't seen a thousand times before. This guy is a cop and he plays by his own rules, who hasn't seen that dozens of times? I realize its based off a book, but I just didn't think he was the great and intimidating action character that the film's trailer makes him out to be. But the main reason someone is going to see this is for Tom Cruise, I mean lets face it, if he weren't in this film nobody would care about it whatsover. I mean just a few weeks ago we had Alex Cross and everyone was disappointed with that, and now we have another crime mystery thriller. This almost feels like it should've been released in the summer so that it wouldn't have much high expectations with a end of the year release, but sadly it must compete with the big and powerful films of December. Some things I did like about it were the car chase sequences, which were exciting and gave the movie a little variety. Some of the fighting scenes between Cruse and the bad guys were fun as well, but if you watch closely you can tell that these are some of the dumbest and clumsiest bad guys I have seen in a action movie for a long time. Christopher McQuarrie directed this movie, and I enjoy a lot of his work, so I appreciate what he was trying to make here but it just wasn't as good as it should've been. I'm not sure if I could ever make a better movie than this, but there are some moments in this film where you know they could've fixed to make it less ridiculous. This film is fun if all you want is a simple action flick, but as for me, I crave something a little more well done. Expand
  12. Mar 2, 2013
    When you are watching this movie you will feel the energy and excitement Tom Cruise has always been one of my favorites. I think this is the one of the best movies of 2012 if not the BEST movie. Great movie and a bit humorous not all action BUT the action is crazy good.
  13. Jan 27, 2014
    Jack Reacher is a waste of two hours and 10 minutes, it might look like a standard shooting gallery but it managed to be even worse than that given the fact that the movie is slow, which is a surprise cause these type of movies tends to be fast, plot-less and stupid. this one is slow,plot-less and stupid.
    i mean it's not a crime movie, diffidently not an action movie and most importantly it's not an enjoyable movie.
  14. Dec 21, 2012
    Tom cruise is like marmite you either love him or hate him, usually i tend to go for the latter. However i found this film to be very true to the book which i respect, it had action, suspense and a bit of romance between the two main leads "Cruise, Rosamund pike". If you're looking for a thrill ride then i recommend you go and see this despite what the critics say this is definitely aTom cruise is like marmite you either love him or hate him, usually i tend to go for the latter. However i found this film to be very true to the book which i respect, it had action, suspense and a bit of romance between the two main leads "Cruise, Rosamund pike". If you're looking for a thrill ride then i recommend you go and see this despite what the critics say this is definitely a crowd pleaser. Expand
  15. Dec 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I haven't laughed so hard in an action flick in a long while. My midnight show crowd was fairly raucous with the laughs, and there were plenty of oohs/aahs during the driving/fighting sequences, so I'm guessing this is more of a target demo film than one for the critics, who seem pretty evenly divided. It has a hard-edged pulpy feel to it - and it keeps you thinking throughout. The opening sequence is particularly brutal - it's understandable why the studio cancelled the premiere in light of the recent school shootings. Tom Cruise does an effective job in the lead (I have no frame of reference with the source material, incidentally, so the complaints over his casting are lost on me). Rosamund Pike is excellent - she needs to be in more films that require some range instead of doing the next Wrath of the Titans sequel. And Robert Duvall - it's great to see him make an appearance, even in a small role. The end left me with slightly mixed feelings, but on the whole, I enjoyed the thrill ride. Expand
  16. Jan 2, 2013
    Much better than I had expected. forget the naysayers; this is two hours of good if not great cinema. I am not a huge fan of Cruise the celebrity, but Cruise the actor almost always delivers the goods and this is no exception
  17. Dec 21, 2012
    Jack Reacher is a pop-corn thriller, nothing more nothing less nor does it propose to be other than what it is. You don't go to see this movie anticipating another Mission Impossible sized blockbuster. This is what the critics don't seem to understand.

How does it deliver on it's promise to entertain? Very well. JR is a brisk entertaining adventure with a stoic and smartly played lead by Tom Cruse. He delivers what he promised, kick butt fun.

In my opinion the writing is smart. The bad guys have good dialog (while we are left feeling somewhat unsatisfied on the back-story, but this is the fault of the writers not the movie) but still feel the villians are to be feared, both for their ferocity and intelligence.

Jack Reacher is pure fun pop-corn entertainment and is highly recommended as such.
  18. Apr 19, 2013
    A movie that failed to make me care about the story at all, characters were empty and uninteresting and even thou this movie had a few scenes that were pretty well done i still found myself looking at my watch time and time again hoping this would eighter pick up or just end.
  19. Dec 22, 2012
    This was a great film. Tom as a main actor was excellent - he really assumed the role he had to play in a way that made me feel like I understood Jack Reacher as a character and person well. The secondary main actor (character Helen) was good too - she played the role very well. The story line was just the right amount of action, mystery and a pinch of romance (very slight). The way theThis was a great film. Tom as a main actor was excellent - he really assumed the role he had to play in a way that made me feel like I understood Jack Reacher as a character and person well. The secondary main actor (character Helen) was good too - she played the role very well. The story line was just the right amount of action, mystery and a pinch of romance (very slight). The way the plot rolled out was great in that it left you wondering what was really going on at every moment - who the bad guys were, who was involved and who wasn't, what really happened and what didn't and so on. Excellent film - very much worth seeing in the theatre!!! Collapse
  20. Dec 26, 2012
    Huge casting blunder to expect Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher. He doesn't even begin to portray the brooding, damaged, taut-steel machismo of the the character. Instead we wind up with a middle-aged Top Gun playing tough guy. It falls so short of the character presented in Lee Child's fiction that I found it difficult to get into the movie, constantly finding myself thinking "no wayHuge casting blunder to expect Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher. He doesn't even begin to portray the brooding, damaged, taut-steel machismo of the the character. Instead we wind up with a middle-aged Top Gun playing tough guy. It falls so short of the character presented in Lee Child's fiction that I found it difficult to get into the movie, constantly finding myself thinking "no way Jack Reacher would come across like that". I guess that's the curse of having heard Dick Hill narrating the audiobook to compare against. Aside from that, the movie is good for whiling away a couple of hours. It grabs your attention and keeps it. I hope we see more of Lee Child's books on the screen. Preferably with a different lead. Expand
  21. Dec 25, 2012
    Jack Richer for me is simple, violence, real army martial skil especially as a Military Police. Humor scripts, pure action without any sexual intercourse(maybe u guys hate it! but I prefer this kind of genre as action movie really no need any sex thingy included). Jack Richer showing that Tom Cruise really still king of the action figure besides Dennis Craig in James Bond latest franchise.Jack Richer for me is simple, violence, real army martial skil especially as a Military Police. Humor scripts, pure action without any sexual intercourse(maybe u guys hate it! but I prefer this kind of genre as action movie really no need any sex thingy included). Jack Richer showing that Tom Cruise really still king of the action figure besides Dennis Craig in James Bond latest franchise. I really recommended friends n colleagues to watch Jack Richer. Even I heard some of the novel fans doubt Tom Cruise as he identified not as the real character in the novel but I believed he really scored there. No doubts about it! I really looking forward to buy this blu-ray movie as well. Expand
  22. Dec 26, 2012
    It's official. Hollywood critics have it in for Tom Cruise. How else can we explain Jack Reacher's aggregate low scores? This is not Oscar worthy stuff. But as far as movie entertainment goes, JR was a very satisfying action thriller. In fact, I enjoyed it much more than the latest James Bond flick (Skyfall) which has garnered across the board positive reviews. Say what you will aboutIt's official. Hollywood critics have it in for Tom Cruise. How else can we explain Jack Reacher's aggregate low scores? This is not Oscar worthy stuff. But as far as movie entertainment goes, JR was a very satisfying action thriller. In fact, I enjoyed it much more than the latest James Bond flick (Skyfall) which has garnered across the board positive reviews. Say what you will about Cruise (and his controversial views / behavior ) but let's at least be fair! Writer-Director Christopher McQuarrie has made a very entertaining movie. This is the best Tom Cruise flick I've seen in years... Expand
  23. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decided to see " Jack Reacher", having read all ( seventeen? ) of Lee Childs " Jack Reacher" books. What a great movie!
    Tense & gritty & taught & " Noirish" & fast paced.

Tom Cruise channels the " Jack Reacher" essence, as written by Lee Child, distilling the detection, the intellect, the minutae of " what doesn't fit in an air tight case." Cruise also portrays a guy tough enough to be gentle. Reacher: Does Sandy work here?
    Store clerk: What are you, a cop? I'm going to need to see some ID.
    Reacher: Go get Sandy.
    Store Clerk: Well I need to see something.
    Reacher: How about the inside of an ambulance?

Great pacing, editing and camera work, in dark, gritty locations.
    Moves with the momentum of Indiana Jones.
    Werner Herzog and Robert Duval deliver great performances, In short, The film delivers the goods. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  24. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very intelligently thought out thriller with an exciting plot. cruise depicts his character well in what has been a very successful and true adaptation of the novel. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2012
    Enjoyed the movie very much. It was on the long side and I never looked at my watch. Cruise did a great job and it had a nice twist. The movie is what it is !, if your looking for a good thriller then you should enjoy it. The other thing I really enjoyed was that the violence wasn't over the top.
  26. Jan 14, 2013
    I think Tom Cruise really played the part of this Character Jack Reacher extremely intelligently and well performed. This move is very heart pounding and get you off the edge of your own seat in the theater. I love the action and every fight scene of Jack Reacher played by Tom Cruise. To me the movie never leaves you guessing and very well written for such as well played cast. I can notI think Tom Cruise really played the part of this Character Jack Reacher extremely intelligently and well performed. This move is very heart pounding and get you off the edge of your own seat in the theater. I love the action and every fight scene of Jack Reacher played by Tom Cruise. To me the movie never leaves you guessing and very well written for such as well played cast. I can not wait until they make another movie with Tom as Jack Reacher, because something tells me this saga isn't over just yet. Love this movie, because I seen it two times and can not wait until it arrives on DVD. Expand
  27. Jan 22, 2013
    You may be mystified by the unknown character of Jack Reacher, but this film is completely and utterly unbelievable. Its hard to even suspend our reality to get into the movie because the immersion sucks as we are forced to call this movie on all the holes it has. I could name three or four instances of storyline that does not make sense. Terrible movie.
  28. Apr 19, 2013
    Just stopped watching after twenty minutes. Nothing seemed even remotely believable and the lawyer and Reacher characters dialogues were outright ridiculous.
  29. Apr 22, 2013
    What a load of rubbish. This flic has the most rubbish dialogue ever. It just feels unnatural and rehearsed.
    It makes me wonder if anyone who partook in making this piece of garbage, have ever had a real life conversation. What's up with the eyes of that lead actress? Is she constantly on cocaine?
  30. Dec 23, 2012
    "Jack Reacher" is awesome, much better than the overrated "Looper" that came out earlier this year. This action movie might not pile up a ton of action, but the action it does have is believable and exciting. Tom Cruise does yet another excellent performance. Its not the most thought-provoking mystery movie i've seen, but it is epic.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jan 19, 2013
    A trim thriller with an enviable lack of grandeur. [21 Jan. 2013, p.79]
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Dec 31, 2012
    Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise deliver on their promise, with a witty, violent take on Reacher that makes up for its lack of height with an abundance of smarts and thrills.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Dec 23, 2012
    Despite a terrific cast, Jack Reacher comes up empty-handed.