6.3

1. Oct 24, 2014
    Don't expect Bond or Bourne just accept Jack Reacher for who he is, a fraud. However he is an interesting fraud that conducts a good film. The lack of originality does limit it's prospects though.
  2. Jun 15, 2014
    Great flick and Tom Cruise nails Jack Reacher other than being 6'5". I like the thought of someone like him out there. A free man. The old man villain will give you chills if you just pay attention to his dialogue. There is a depth to this movie that most will miss!
  3. Jun 4, 2014
    I don't know why this movie didn't get a higher score. I absolutely loved it. I didn't see it till it was on dvd. And I had no interest in watching it but I sat down and watched a scene that totally hooked me. The acting in this is great. Tom Cruise delivers like usual. Their is a lot of great action sequences. But also a great story. If you are thinking about watching it. I would totally recommend it. And if it turns out you liked it. You can get excited for the sequel. Expand
  4. Apr 20, 2014
    We only got through 20 minutes of this movie because of how poor it came across.. direction, screenplay, acting all left a lot to be desired. Have never read or heard much about the books so just going from the movie on its own - very poor. Urgh piano music - oh im meant to feel emotive now because some stupid piano is playing. Not very deep or thought provoking but we only saw 20minutes.
  5. Apr 7, 2014
    I expected to hate this movie. I was forced to watch it at a family gathering. Actually was decent. This review must be longer though. Not my typical genre, but enjoyed the plot.
  6. Mar 27, 2014
    Jack reacher starts with a shooting where a man kills 5 people from a parking lot, and the film follows a drifter vigilante type played by Tom cruise. The film has been unfairly judged by critics on the whole, it features some good action scenes and some interesting plot twists. I would say the film fails in certain aspects though, without spoiling anything there's a good 2-3 scenes where there is no way the protagonist would of survived and the director fills in some of these 'plot holes' with comedy and in my opinion it sort of discredits the believability of the film, which most detective movies pride themselves on. However, there's more than enough to keep most entertained and is definately worth watching imo. Expand
  7. Mar 4, 2014
    Jack Reacher is a very smart thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Tom cruise sells the character Jack Reacher even though the title character is 6ft 5, blonde hair and a lean 220 muscular body.
  8. Feb 12, 2014
    Cheesy dialogues? Cliche characters? Unconvincing slow fight scenes? Predictable plot twists? Outright boring car chase? Wannabe "bad-ass" Tom Cruise? All of that is Jack Reacher, the most generic bull **** movie I've seen in a while, and I warn you from doing the same.
  9. Jan 27, 2014
    Jack Reacher is a waste of two hours and 10 minutes, it might look like a standard shooting gallery but it managed to be even worse than that given the fact that the movie is slow, which is a surprise cause these type of movies tends to be fast, plot-less and stupid. this one is slow,plot-less and stupid.
    i mean it's not a crime movie, diffidently not an action movie and most importantly
    it's not an enjoyable movie. Expand
  10. Jan 9, 2014
    Jack Reacher isn't good as a story, and it doesn't come together as a movie in the end. It feels like a generic action movie, but it is fairly diverting.
  11. Jan 7, 2014
    Though I did not read the book that this title is based upon, and cannot therefore make speculation as to how well it holds true to the source material, I will say that this is a well put together film that doesn't ask it's audience to do anything more than sit back and wait for the narrative to be unraveled. Though it teases a few twists, the plot is pretty easily predictable. The charm that this film has, is not in being a psychological rollercoaster in the same league as Michael Douglas' "The Game" nor is it in being an over the top action movie in the same vein as Bruce Willis' "Die Hard", but rather being a coalescence of the two.

Tom Cruise (love him or hate him) does what Tom Cruise does best, he allows himself to partially melt away from the screen and allows the character to come out and be somewhat believable. Now, though Cruise's acting ability is no where near the likes of the Masterful Gary Oldman, or Daniel Day-Lewis, he does a good job of getting out of the way of his character enough that you believe him. Though some people will disagree with me on the grounds that his range of characters are all loosely the same, I would argue that it would be smart of an actor to accept roles that he knows he can knock out of the park so to speak. And if the argument continued there is only one thing I would have to say, "Interview with a Vampire" and at that point we'd be concluded.

Rosamund Pike is excellent in this film, she also brings a level of legitimacy to some of her roles that are in movies that have no business having any such thing ('Doom' I'm looking at you). Given the circumstances she is faced with the natural reaction of anyone in that situation would be one of terror, though she still allows the character to shine through as a strong female (given it is within her arena as a lawyer). Don't get me wrong, her role won't be winning any points for the flick from someone who is putting it up to the Bechdel test. This does not diminish how well she played the role, from strong confident lawyer to "deer in the headlights" terrified civilian. There are moments where she switches gears so rapidly that you can't help but believe that she is petrified beyond all reason. An excellent performance by an actress who deserves more of the good and fulfilling kinds of roles someone of her caliber desires.
  12. Dec 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like other reviewers below, I cannot believe Lee Child could give Tom Cruise free rein to play this character and completely trash this movie. Anyone who has read the book will see this movie for the overhyped nonsense it is. No attempt has been made to convey who the real Jack Reacher is; this movie makes him appear as a thug who can shoot and fight better than the other thugs. Perhaps Cruise could have spent some time wasted on slow motion shots panned round the room or the over-dramatic looks on his and his tripey co-star Pike's faces and instead give us the missing information which would have made sense of it all the framed person's sister, more history about the Zec.
    What a waste of time.
  13. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jack Reacher is a movie that doesnt deliver its expectations a louzy plot and Tom Cruise preformence is non inspirational and emotionless he was acting as a military profesional and Helen Rodin played by Rosamund Pike i the only thing i liked she played as a defense attorney trying to defend her emplyer James Barr Accused of murdering five people on a parking lot with a sniper rifle and jack was hired to help him the assassin used a parking meter to count his time of being there and used the quarter for his finger print and then they reveal the main adversary The Zen which means prisoner and test random people to join his cause. what i think of this is a plot for an 80's action thriller this didnt belong in this decade if they ever make this movie again improve it and make it a better expiriance for the people because when i went in the theater they were only 6 people there and it was Jan/02/2013 and it was my first mistake of the year i give it a 3 out of 10 Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2013
    It starts promisingly but overall it's an action/thriller with a simple plot that needed more development and mediocre fights. However the hero is memorable because he doesn't follow the rules and Amy Smart is super cute.
    argonautis.eu
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    Jack Reacher was nothing like I expected it to be. The previews made this film look like a comedy, featuring some bad ass cop that doesn't play by the rules. The film itself couldn't be more different from how it was packaged and I think that's why it didn't do as well as it could have at the box office. The character, Jack Reacher, comes from a series of novels and the film is taken directly from one of the books. Strangely enough, they didn't choose the first book written to introduce us to the character, but one written much later. Reacher has spent his whole life in the military and retired as a military police detective. He had enough of not really helping those who deserved help and went off the grid. Now, Reacher only shows up when someone is in need of his help and in this film, that person is a former suspect of his. Reacher knows the man is guilty, but doesn't think he'd do this horrible crime on his own and he goes to investigate. The film was fast-paced and had an interesting story to tell, but they don't let us figure anything out! Jack Reacher has all the answers and tells us everything we need to know and how he figured it out way before we did. I get it, he's some kind of police savant, but it really is frustrating. I love a good mystery and the allure is in figuring it out on my own, but this film never gave me the chance. Tom Cruise stars and fans of the book series were mortified by the choice of producers to have him star as Reacher. I don't care much for Cruise either, but the fans protest had to do with the book describing him as a 6'7 powerhouse. Well who would they rather have had play Jack Reacher, The Rock? This was a major, high budget film, and it needed a big name. Cruise actually does a decent job and was very believable, as was the story, but the one major drawback for me was just how little was left to the imagination. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    I thought it was good, but it is not as fast as I thought it would be. The character is more than some fighter, so the movie has some detective work.Hes pretty bad ass but the movie has more to it than action, some times a bit slower than I expected from this movie.
  17. Oct 9, 2013
    Thought this was going to be an old-style hero kicks-ass and blows everything up doing it, but instead it's a murder mystery with Tom Cruise out of his element in this type of mixed role. Seriously, much of this film could've played out on an episode of Dateline: NBC which specializes in murder mysteries. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but keep your expectations decidedly low.
  18. Oct 2, 2013
    Well its not as bad as some of the other movies I've seen recently but it is kinda boring, was expecting more action but it is watchable if you don't have anything else to do.
  19. Sep 25, 2013
    This is a movie that if you got it you liked it, if you didn't get it you didn't like it. The source material came through really strong with the dramatic tension of the book brought to life in a way that is rare for adaptations to do. Casting was spot on, it was nice to see Tom Cruise take an a colder character than his usual more emotional roles.
  20. Aug 30, 2013
    Worst casting of any movie ever. Lee Child is an absolute douche for allowing Tom Cruise to play the protagonist from his books. Could have made an excellent bunch of movies on his books but casting Cruise in this first movie has killed any chance of that happening.
  21. Aug 26, 2013
    The film starts off very stylish, looking every bit the classic cop movies of the 70’s and 80’s. Sadly it does not keep this early promise and soon slips into the usual cliché‘s that have haunted many more recent cop films. I found it very hard to connect with any of the characters, although all the performances were very good. I did particularly like Werner Herzog as The Zec, a particularly shady character; other than that it was pretty mundane. I found it a bit bloated and over-long although it did pick up towards the end.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (Just)

My score: 5.8/10.
  22. Aug 9, 2013
    Not entirely sure that it was a great idea for the lead macho man to be so unemotional and so distant from the viewer that the film transcends to an unflinching unraveling of a sequence of events that lead into the salvation of the audience from boredom as the credits roll in.
  23. Jul 27, 2013
    Jack Reacher was a quirky movie with a good deal of action that made it a hidden gem. There were moments where the writing seemed to drag a bit, but otherwise it was an enjoyable movie. There are few Tom Cruise movies that aren't entertaining.
  24. Jul 20, 2013
    Didn't get the chance to watch this in theaters but it was definitely a good Saturday night movie to watch on the couch with a few friends, probably not the movie to boast about in your collection.
  25. Jul 14, 2013
    Tom Cruise plays the ex-military fighting machine who defeats the bad guys and charms the ladies with his rugged looks. The storyline is as bouncy as the cleavage of the shallow female lead role. Jack Reacher is bashed by the critics, but average viewer will enjoy watching it
  26. Jul 7, 2013
    In some respects, it's easy to see why Jack Reacher was never going to be a darling for the critics. Where in the Crime genre, you expect great success to only come from a riveting script, cajoled and simmered for years before anyone even thinks about directing it.

What you must remember, then, is that Lee Child knocks one of these books out every year. If anything, the story he
    provides is just a standard crime thriller. Such prolific output is usually fit for straight-to-TV drama series', so it's a surprise that Jack Reacher not only received the treatment it deserved, but also provides perhaps the most entertaining crime-thriller since The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Tom Cruise, hate him or love him, and forgetting the height issue, is definitely Reacher. Part of my respect for the film comes from solely how well he pulled the character off. As for the plot, it's standard Lee Child fare. You're provided with the general story, not so much a whodunnit as a whodiddit with them. There's red herrings, viewpoints from both the good and bad guys, and it is all paced at the same break neck speed as the novels.

My only gripe is that the reveals are all quite predictable and unexciting, which again, comes back to Child's original work. Although he can write great material and characters, the mystery side to his novels has, even after all these years, been rather amateurish. But what's important here is that everyone involved in the film makes it completely believable, right until the final scene, which, is hardly Bourne, but still a great finale.
  27. Jun 18, 2013
    Tom Cruise continues to be a good action star, but his choice of films need to be questioned. The script and story are weak and as much as Cruise's charisma helps it is not enough.
  28. Jun 4, 2013
    "Jack Reacher is a smart, action packed and intelligent thriller that is a truly entertaining film to watch from start to finish. Tom Cruise is suburb in the titular role. Begging the question if Jack Reacher is one of the best action movies of 2012 A-
  29. May 31, 2013
    No, there is nothing new with Jack Reacher in terms of contributing to the genre. However, if you like the genre then this is a more than passable example. This is well worth the time invested in watching if the expectations going in aren't set too high. In fact, you may come away hoping for more from Cruise's Reacher.
  30. May 31, 2013
    This is the best movie ever made!,

After watching it i wanted to watch it again.
    While watching them investigating and unraveling the mystery there is a atmosphere the deeper they go that something bad happen and the characters show the sense of urgency usually just when its too late.
    The way they have added a bit of humor too, fits in so well and is hilarious, but maintains a serious
    movie feel. The gun scenes have a call of duty similarity and being a fan it was exciting to watch.
    All the characters are amazing, after this movie and oblivion i forgive Tom for going a bit crazy in the past.

Its not a movie its a adventure, a mystery that makes you feel the climax coming and does not disappoint. Blue ray version recommended.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jan 19, 2013
    A trim thriller with an enviable lack of grandeur. [21 Jan. 2013, p.79]
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Dec 31, 2012
    Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise deliver on their promise, with a witty, violent take on Reacher that makes up for its lack of height with an abundance of smarts and thrills.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Dec 23, 2012
    Despite a terrific cast, Jack Reacher comes up empty-handed.