6.2

1. Dec 21, 2012
    Tom cruise is like marmite you either love him or hate him, usually i tend to go for the latter. However i found this film to be very true to the book which i respect, it had action, suspense and a bit of romance between the two main leads "Cruise, Rosamund pike". If you're looking for a thrill ride then i recommend you go and see this despite what the critics say this is definitely a crowd pleaser. Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2012
    Not sure why this was rated over 60% on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie is terribly paced, the story is ridiculous and frankly the whole blonde damsel in distress scene was over the top. Some scenes just drag on too long and others feel like they should have been cut out all together. This is one of those movies you watch when it's free on TV and you have nothing else to do.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and it was so bad in fact that I purposefully created an account on this site just so I could talk about how terrible it was. I feel like I threw away two hours of my life and will never get it back. The lead actress was wooden and laughable, as if she were trying to emote with a face-full of Botox. Tom Cruise was standard Tom Cruise. I got so angry by the end at the fact that I had to sit through this pathetic movie that I threw my bottle of water on the floor. Expand
  4. Dec 21, 2012
    Please don't waste your money on a ticket to Jack Reacher. I think some of these movie studios could save a lot of trouble, if every year they would just release a movie entitled "Generic Tom Cruise Action Movie". This has to go down as one of the worst casting errors in film history. The premise is just so silly; Tom Cruise is what about 5' 7"... my grandmother could kick his butt. I don't know if I'm more disappointed with Cruise, the film studio, or Lee Child, the author of the Jack Reacher novels. I guess the only people that might find this movie tolerable are people that don't read books. Lee Child's series of books featuring this character are not exactly Melville, but they are entertaining and one thing you don't forget is his character development. If you know the stories, then you know this is a little bit like casting Cruise to play the life story of Hulk Hogan. You don't have to take my work for it; look up a facebook page called "Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher". Expand
  5. Dec 23, 2012
    "Jack Reacher" is awesome, much better than the overrated "Looper" that came out earlier this year. This action movie might not pile up a ton of action, but the action it does have is believable and exciting. Tom Cruise does yet another excellent performance. Its not the most thought-provoking mystery movie i've seen, but it is epic.
  6. Dec 21, 2012
    Jack Reacher is a pop-corn thriller, nothing more nothing less nor does it propose to be other than what it is. You don't go to see this movie anticipating another Mission Impossible sized blockbuster. This is what the critics don't seem to understand.

How does it deliver on it's promise to entertain? Very well. JR is a brisk entertaining adventure with a stoic and smartly played
    lead by Tom Cruse. He delivers what he promised, kick butt fun.

In my opinion the writing is smart. The bad guys have good dialog (while we are left feeling somewhat unsatisfied on the back-story, but this is the fault of the writers not the movie) but still feel the villians are to be feared, both for their ferocity and intelligence.

Jack Reacher is pure fun pop-corn entertainment and is highly recommended as such.
  7. Apr 19, 2013
    A movie that failed to make me care about the story at all, characters were empty and uninteresting and even thou this movie had a few scenes that were pretty well done i still found myself looking at my watch time and time again hoping this would eighter pick up or just end.
  8. Dec 24, 2012
    Went into theater expecting a mix of Drive and Mission Impossible. What I got was a mix of Law and Order and Sniper. Entertaining story even if it is a little far out. Wait did I say little... The only thing I do not understand is that with Tom Cruise having so much film cred what is he doing in this film that should be staring Steven Segal or Van Damne. Certainly worth a matinee viewing though.
  9. Dec 28, 2012
    Tom Cruise was just a bad choice. The dialoge from the start didn't match the actor who has no depth to acheive the Reach Character. This was just a movie made for a shallow actor's skills and I was hoping for more, but got a lot less. Fortunately I had a free pass to the movie or I would be really pissed off.
  10. Dec 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I haven't laughed so hard in an action flick in a long while. My midnight show crowd was fairly raucous with the laughs, and there were plenty of oohs/aahs during the driving/fighting sequences, so I'm guessing this is more of a target demo film than one for the critics, who seem pretty evenly divided. It has a hard-edged pulpy feel to it - and it keeps you thinking throughout. The opening sequence is particularly brutal - it's understandable why the studio cancelled the premiere in light of the recent school shootings. Tom Cruise does an effective job in the lead (I have no frame of reference with the source material, incidentally, so the complaints over his casting are lost on me). Rosamund Pike is excellent - she needs to be in more films that require some range instead of doing the next Wrath of the Titans sequel. And Robert Duvall - it's great to see him make an appearance, even in a small role. The end left me with slightly mixed feelings, but on the whole, I enjoyed the thrill ride. Expand
  11. Dec 22, 2012
    What a joke. Did the people who made this movie even look at the books, let alone read them! A violent mish mash of badly passed scenes full of cliches. Tom Cruise id a midget compared to what the character is supposed to be. Not to mention WAY to much plastic surgery and botox. Relay violent, and cliched, with no satisfaction to be had. Save yourself the money, and if you must see this, wait for it on cable, which may show up as early as next week considering how terrible it is. Expand
  12. Dec 23, 2012
    The movie started off kind of ambiguous, but as soon as Tom Cruise's character dialogue started, I knew it was going to be bad, and it was.

Jack Reacher is this thin, but unflinchingly arrogant (rightly so) all around badass. Close to super hero status. Everyone else in the movie has a hard time keeping their wits, but Jack Reacher shows everyone their ignorance, and gets **** done.

Jack Reacher has one mood/tone/persona, and it never changes. The movie presents about every five minutes that it has blown your mind, but it is completely underwhelming, predictable, and cheesy.

The two points I did give the movie were because of Rosamund Pike, who I
  13. Dec 26, 2012
    Huge casting blunder to expect Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher. He doesn't even begin to portray the brooding, damaged, taut-steel machismo of the the character. Instead we wind up with a middle-aged Top Gun playing tough guy. It falls so short of the character presented in Lee Child's fiction that I found it difficult to get into the movie, constantly finding myself thinking "no way Jack Reacher would come across like that". I guess that's the curse of having heard Dick Hill narrating the audiobook to compare against. Aside from that, the movie is good for whiling away a couple of hours. It grabs your attention and keeps it. I hope we see more of Lee Child's books on the screen. Preferably with a different lead. Expand
  14. Jan 2, 2013
    Much better than I had expected. forget the naysayers; this is two hours of good if not great cinema. I am not a huge fan of Cruise the celebrity, but Cruise the actor almost always delivers the goods and this is no exception
  15. Dec 22, 2012
    This was a great film. Tom as a main actor was excellent - he really assumed the role he had to play in a way that made me feel like I understood Jack Reacher as a character and person well. The secondary main actor (character Helen) was good too - she played the role very well. The story line was just the right amount of action, mystery and a pinch of romance (very slight). The way the plot rolled out was great in that it left you wondering what was really going on at every moment - who the bad guys were, who was involved and who wasn't, what really happened and what didn't and so on. Excellent film - very much worth seeing in the theatre!!! Expand
  16. Dec 22, 2012
    Whether the critics are Cruise-hating, or comparing this to giants in the cop/robber genre, they are not giving this film the credit it deserves. Its a 2 hour, thinking man's procedural. Well written, well directed, and extremely well-paced. Its entertaining, with the requisite one-liners, fights (which unlike Nolan's Batman, are extremely easy to follow and enjoy), and great characters.

Of course McQuarrie delivers a few twists, as much as the source material will allow, but that's not really the point. You know who the bad guy is, you know who the good guy is, and you enjoy seeing them converge in a hail of bullets and fist fights is entertaining.

Where the film really stands out, is that this type of character hasn't really existed in this genre. He's not a cowboy, thrill-seeker, or invincible hero. He's a guy who likes anonymity, quiet, and ultimately justice - by any means necessary. He doesn't answer to a police captain or superior (thank god), he's funded by his pention and lives meagerly by preference (refreshing) so he can't be bought. He's simply a war vet who is fed up with the stench of bureaucracy.

I truly hope audiences give this a look, because I can say without question that Reacher is going to get better with each adventure, as his character is complex and timely where we all wish someone could just punch the loudmouth at the bar, skip the jurisdictions, and shoot the bad guys to avoid lawyers letting them go free.
  17. Apr 19, 2013
    Just stopped watching after twenty minutes. Nothing seemed even remotely believable and the lawyer and Reacher characters dialogues were outright ridiculous.
  18. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decided to see " Jack Reacher", having read all ( seventeen? ) of Lee Childs " Jack Reacher" books. What a great movie!
    Tense & gritty & taught & " Noirish" & fast paced.

Tom Cruise channels the " Jack Reacher" essence, as written by Lee Child, distilling the detection, the intellect, the minutae of " what doesn't fit in an air tight case." Cruise also portrays a guy tough enough to be gentle. Reacher: Does Sandy work here?
    Store clerk: What are you, a cop? I'm going to need to see some ID.
    Reacher: Go get Sandy.
    Store Clerk: Well I need to see something.
    Reacher: How about the inside of an ambulance?

Great pacing, editing and camera work, in dark, gritty locations.
    Moves with the momentum of Indiana Jones.
    Werner Herzog and Robert Duval deliver great performances, In short, The film delivers the goods. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  19. Jan 22, 2013
    You may be mystified by the unknown character of Jack Reacher, but this film is completely and utterly unbelievable. Its hard to even suspend our reality to get into the movie because the immersion sucks as we are forced to call this movie on all the holes it has. I could name three or four instances of storyline that does not make sense. Terrible movie.
  20. May 3, 2013
    Honestly. as movies get worse and worse I have become more lenient This movie was well done. Don't expect an action pact thriller though. I loved the small anti government messages and the bad taste towards cops! love to see a movie that reaches out to the non brain washed citizen. the bad reviews are from washed up retards just wanting shock value. End the Feds! peace!
  21. Dec 24, 2012
    This is a superb thriller and one of my favorite films this year. Story and characters are both very compelling and it was great to see how Reacher unraveled the mystery. I don't get the negative responses and suspect most probably have to do with a personal dislike of Tom Cruise or that the movie was not exactly like the books. Regardless, I loved the pacing and thought the action was great and all very realistic. Reacher is also an extremely interesting character to learn about... very intelligent, sarcastic and witty, mysterious, and strong. He's analogous to James Bond and Cruise does a fantastic job here. I very highly recommend this movie. Expand
  22. Jan 14, 2013
    I think Tom Cruise really played the part of this Character Jack Reacher extremely intelligently and well performed. This move is very heart pounding and get you off the edge of your own seat in the theater. I love the action and every fight scene of Jack Reacher played by Tom Cruise. To me the movie never leaves you guessing and very well written for such as well played cast. I can not wait until they make another movie with Tom as Jack Reacher, because something tells me this saga isn't over just yet. Love this movie, because I seen it two times and can not wait until it arrives on DVD. Expand
  23. Dec 25, 2012
    Jack Richer for me is simple, violence, real army martial skil especially as a Military Police. Humor scripts, pure action without any sexual intercourse(maybe u guys hate it! but I prefer this kind of genre as action movie really no need any sex thingy included). Jack Richer showing that Tom Cruise really still king of the action figure besides Dennis Craig in James Bond latest franchise. I really recommended friends n colleagues to watch Jack Richer. Even I heard some of the novel fans doubt Tom Cruise as he identified not as the real character in the novel but I believed he really scored there. No doubts about it! I really looking forward to buy this blu-ray movie as well. Expand
  24. Dec 26, 2012
    It's official. Hollywood critics have it in for Tom Cruise. How else can we explain Jack Reacher's aggregate low scores? This is not Oscar worthy stuff. But as far as movie entertainment goes, JR was a very satisfying action thriller. In fact, I enjoyed it much more than the latest James Bond flick (Skyfall) which has garnered across the board positive reviews. Say what you will about Cruise (and his controversial views / behavior ) but let's at least be fair! Writer-Director Christopher McQuarrie has made a very entertaining movie. This is the best Tom Cruise flick I've seen in years... Expand
  25. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very intelligently thought out thriller with an exciting plot. cruise depicts his character well in what has been a very successful and true adaptation of the novel. Expand
  26. Dec 28, 2012
    This is like a bad CSI show with more guns. Boring halting cliched dialog. Every crime film cliche you can imagine. No depth at all with any character. Tom Cruise cannot do Arnold or Clint. Too many other good movies out now to waste your time and money on this. Stay home and watch Law and Order or CSI. More entertaining.
  27. Dec 30, 2012
    Enjoyed the movie very much. It was on the long side and I never looked at my watch. Cruise did a great job and it had a nice twist. The movie is what it is !, if your looking for a good thriller then you should enjoy it. The other thing I really enjoyed was that the violence wasn't over the top.
  28. Jan 3, 2013
    The movie was going along pretty good until they had to throw in the gratutious cleavage throughout the whole second half. Her wide eyed constant disbelief look / Alex from SVU voice threw me off too.
    I can't picture Tom Cruise as a menacing tough guy. Sorry, it just didn't work for me.
  29. Apr 22, 2013
    What a load of rubbish. This flic has the most rubbish dialogue ever. It just feels unnatural and rehearsed.
    It makes me wonder if anyone who partook in making this piece of garbage, have ever had a real life conversation. What's up with the eyes of that lead actress? Is she constantly on cocaine?
  30. Dec 24, 2012
    I'm a fan of Tom Cruise the actor, but he doesn't cover any new ground in this over the top, ludicrous film. Your eyes will be rolling throughout. It isn't a horrible film, and it is mostly watchable and entertaining, but you really have to ignore all the implausibilities and go with it. This was my first exposure to the lead actress Rosamund Pike and I wasn't impressed. Her acting was unrealistic and unemotional throughout. I don't know if the director was responsible or if it was her decision but she didn't behave like a normal person, particularly in the hostage scene. The Robert Duvall character was really ridiculous. You really felt like you were watching a poor version of Dirty Harry. I can't quite recommend it, but I've seen so many movies like this throughout my life I've become jaded by them. A younger person might like it more. Expand
  31. Dec 31, 2012
    OK so Tom Cruise isn't 6'5". He is Reacher. I went into this with very low expectations due to the middling reviews this movie has been getting.

This movie characterizes Reacher very closely to the book, and it's well done. The plot follows the book, pretty much, to the best of my recollections.

If you expect to walk in and find "Ethan Hunt" as Reacher, you'll be disappointed. If you
    read the Reacher on Lee Child's pages, who is a bit grim and one-dimensional (except for that enigmatic deep well that motivates him), then I find that this movie succeeds on all levels.

Oh and Werner Herzog is deliciously slimy as a villain. Bonus.

Rosamund Pike is the hot damsel in distress. Another bonus.

See this movie!
  32. Dec 24, 2012
    For putting this character up on screen for the first time I thought they pulled this off well. Few missteps but an overall well made movie that does the character justice while satisfying where it should. Good time.
  33. Jan 9, 2013
    This movie is just too fake. Cheesy lines with illogical scenes. It doesn't matter anymore if it's starring Tom Cruise or any good actors.. If the plot and scripts are bad, then the movie is bad.
  34. Jan 2, 2013
    This was a okay story with a good story and good action scenes in it as well.But this movie gets really boring at most bit witch is the real let down. So its worth a rent but dont expect anything amazing. Jack Reacher 6.5/10
  35. Jan 4, 2013
    The only thing worthy in Jack Reacher is watching Tom Cruise being a badass. Other than that is just another decent popcorn movie that will keep you entertained enough a Saturday afternoon in which you have nothing better to do. The plot is mainly exposition-driven and it becomes so convoluted at some point that you won't mind understanding the stakes in it, which aren't very interesting anyway. Rosamund Pike and Robert Duvall are enjoyable to watch, Jai Courtney has a lot of potential as an action star (we'll confirm that in A Good Day To Die Hard) and Werner Herzog is just a one-dimensional Russian stereotype. But well, the flaws don't really matter, Jack Reacher achieves its goal and Cruise reminds us why he is one of the greatest action stars of all time. Expand
  36. Jan 8, 2013
    Do you want to see an entertaining popcorn movie? This one is for you. Writer-Director Mcquarrie won an Oscar for his "The Usual Suspects" screenplay, and does a great job here. Cruise's character is the type of hero that always seems to be one step ahead of the bad guys, and can handle anything thrown his way. What's wrong with that? The audience, my daughter, and myself thoroughly enjoyed this film. I've never read any of the 17 Jack Reacher books, and maybe that is where the complaints are coming from. There have been books turned into movies that pissed me off because they were not true to the source, but the author didn't have a problem with this adaptation, and I don't think you will either. Expand
  37. Dec 22, 2012
    While I thought the movie could have used a couple more action scenes the plot made up for any lack. The few fight scenes were, however, extremely well done. It's a great crime whodunnit and cruise keeps the tension and suspense going throughout. Duvall has a short part but helps make the film. Whenever there is great disparity in critic reviews (0-83). (Note that the WSJ gave the 0) my radar goes up. A scene where Reacher explains why he lives off the grid away from our programmed work/sleep routine effectively lifts the veil on those Wall St Nazis who've literally enslaved us all and I believe that is what pissed off their media whores. Show them that you see through their smokescreen and go enjoy the film - and think about the deeper message -it's an interesting one. Expand
  38. Dec 24, 2012
    Definitely entertaining. This is not a complicated film nor should anyone expect anything more than a couple of car chases and some fight scenes. Story is mildly entertaining and Robert Duval adds his usual excellence. The film is so basic that it makes slow pitch softball look high-speed, but given that even Tom Cruise could screw it up. Sorry I never forgave him for the debacle that was War of the Worlds. Captain Crazypants and the Scientology wackos must have gotten "clear" just long enough to make a movie that is just entertaining enough to fill the void between now and the next summer season. This is just like dating, set your standards low enough and you will never be disappointed. Expand
  39. Jan 3, 2013
    Tom Cruise at his... maybe 2nd or 3rd best. This movie is a probably see for every action lover. Now I can type forever but I just typed 2 long reviews on Skyfall and the video game 007 Legends.
  40. Jan 10, 2013
    I just knew not to watch this film,thought i would give it the benefit of doubt ,IT IS TERRIBLE nothing like the book shame on lee childs for selling out,what on earth is Tom cruise thinking he can get away playing the part of a 6.5 foot military police man he is a whole foot shorter,nothing like the books,just a ego trip for Cruise S H I T E
  41. Jan 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Película del 2012 que apenas está llegando a nuestras salas de cine. Noveno libro de la Saga del escritor Lee Child publicado en 2005.
    Gratamente sorprendida al darme cuenta que Jack Reacher no es enteramente una película de acción, tristemente decepcionada al ver una historia floja y sin ninguna sorpresa con actuaciones pobres que no reflejan el recorrido actoral de los protagonistas.
    Inicia con una de las mejores escenas de la película y el eje central, un tiroteo perpetuado a manos de un francotirador. Francotirador que es ubicado y capturado rápidamente dejándonos pensar que su culpabilidad es inminente, sin embargo en el desarrollo de la trama las cosas cambian viendo como al entrar al juego Jack Reacher logra ubicarnos en una perspectiva diferente.
    Tom Cruise protagoniza el papel del exmilitar Jack Reacher, con una actuación predecible similar a la de Misión Imposible o Minority Report con la diferencia de que en esta tiene la habilidad de dejar mujeres suspirando por el a su paso, es Cruise el encargado de la acción, el que todo lo sabe, el que investiga, el que descubre, el que pelea, y al final el héroe, papel que ya conoce y que protagoniza perfectamente sin ningun esfuerzo. Con mucha seriedad y pocas sonrisas Reacher se adentra en la oscuridad de un guion flojo y logra desenmarañar el complot que se envuelve en medio de los intentos de convertir esta historia en un thriller.
    Excelente fueron las escenas de acción, pocas pero creíbles, buenos planos, coreografía, sonido y con mucha claridad en el momento de los golpes y puños, seguida por una espectacular persecución en auto con un buen montaje que no deja que el espectador pierda el plano ni el sentido de ubicación (Caso contrario al de las películas de Jason Bourne)
    Tristemente desaprovechadas las actuaciones de Richard Jenkins, Robert Duval, con personajes que no aportan nada actoralmente y que al parecer solo querían un dinerito extra. Rosamund Pike en un papel mediocre, que no logra pasar de la chica en apuros a la que hay que salvar, dejando por el piso el aporte femenino de la película. Con el villano tengo mis dudas, ya que queriendo dar la sensación de temor con la historia en la que se comió sus propios dedos no lo logra, por el contrario es eclipsado por Jai Courtney (Charlie) que nos regala unos buenos momentos de acción junto a Cruise.
    En resumen tenemos un thriller de acción entretenido con unas pequeña pizca de comedia, que intenta mezclar a James Bond con Sherlock Holmes sin éxito, pero al final logra salir airosa gracias a Tom Cruise que sin ser este su mejor papel ha realizado un gran trabajo intentando sacar a flote este proyecto junto con McQuarrie que debería pensarlo mejor antes de aventurarse nuevamente en el roll de director, sabiendo que como escritor ha obtenido mejores resultados como en The Usual Suspects.
    Si quieres pasar un rato entretenido junto a tus amigos en donde no tengas que utilizar tu materia gris Jack Reacher es la pelicula.
  42. Jan 24, 2013
    Jack Reacher had some good and memorable moments, but overall it just felt like a cheesy crime drama series that you can find every night on TV. This movie is based on the book "One Shot" written by Lee Child, which is just one of a series of Jack Reacher novels. So this guy is sort of an icon in the literature world, and so when they wanted to adapt a movie from it and it kind of fell flat for me. Don't get me wrong I had a good time seeing this movie and it wasn't actually bad, but there just really is nothing here that we haven't seen a thousand times before. This guy is a cop and he plays by his own rules, who hasn't seen that dozens of times? I realize its based off a book, but I just didn't think he was the great and intimidating action character that the film's trailer makes him out to be. But the main reason someone is going to see this is for Tom Cruise, I mean lets face it, if he weren't in this film nobody would care about it whatsover. I mean just a few weeks ago we had Alex Cross and everyone was disappointed with that, and now we have another crime mystery thriller. This almost feels like it should've been released in the summer so that it wouldn't have much high expectations with a end of the year release, but sadly it must compete with the big and powerful films of December. Some things I did like about it were the car chase sequences, which were exciting and gave the movie a little variety. Some of the fighting scenes between Cruse and the bad guys were fun as well, but if you watch closely you can tell that these are some of the dumbest and clumsiest bad guys I have seen in a action movie for a long time. Christopher McQuarrie directed this movie, and I enjoy a lot of his work, so I appreciate what he was trying to make here but it just wasn't as good as it should've been. I'm not sure if I could ever make a better movie than this, but there are some moments in this film where you know they could've fixed to make it less ridiculous. This film is fun if all you want is a simple action flick, but as for me, I crave something a little more well done. Expand
  43. Mar 2, 2013
    When you are watching this movie you will feel the energy and excitement Tom Cruise has always been one of my favorites. I think this is the one of the best movies of 2012 if not the BEST movie. Great movie and a bit humorous not all action BUT the action is crazy good.
  44. Jan 27, 2014
    Jack Reacher is a waste of two hours and 10 minutes, it might look like a standard shooting gallery but it managed to be even worse than that given the fact that the movie is slow, which is a surprise cause these type of movies tends to be fast, plot-less and stupid. this one is slow,plot-less and stupid.
    i mean it's not a crime movie, diffidently not an action movie and most importantly
    it's not an enjoyable movie. Expand
  45. Jun 4, 2013
    "Jack Reacher is a smart, action packed and intelligent thriller that is a truly entertaining film to watch from start to finish. Tom Cruise is suburb in the titular role. Begging the question if Jack Reacher is one of the best action movies of 2012 A-
  46. Aug 9, 2013
    Not entirely sure that it was a great idea for the lead macho man to be so unemotional and so distant from the viewer that the film transcends to an unflinching unraveling of a sequence of events that lead into the salvation of the audience from boredom as the credits roll in.
  47. Aug 26, 2013
    The film starts off very stylish, looking every bit the classic cop movies of the 70’s and 80’s. Sadly it does not keep this early promise and soon slips into the usual cliché‘s that have haunted many more recent cop films. I found it very hard to connect with any of the characters, although all the performances were very good. I did particularly like Werner Herzog as The Zec, a particularly shady character; other than that it was pretty mundane. I found it a bit bloated and over-long although it did pick up towards the end.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (Just)

My score: 5.8/10.
  48. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the first five minutes, this starts to feel like a bad comic book flic. You'd think with millions dollars budget they could've made something reasonably believable with a coherent plot. As it is, the movie is just idiotic, unrealistic, and badly played. The characters are ridiculous from the "good lawyer" to the oddity of the Russian ex-con villain. No character development whatsoever. Crazy predispositions all throughout. And the whole thing ends with the "bad guys" getting together waiting for Tom Cruze to come and get them, pretty much one by one. Yeah, sure... Expand
  49. Aug 30, 2013
    Worst casting of any movie ever. Lee Child is an absolute douche for allowing Tom Cruise to play the protagonist from his books. Could have made an excellent bunch of movies on his books but casting Cruise in this first movie has killed any chance of that happening.
  50. Apr 9, 2013
    As he gets older, Cruise attempts to broaden his movie 'franchises' that is more age appropriate so to speak. Hence, Jack Reacher, a more cerebral, procedural 'action' franchise. People expecting the next Mission Impossible will be disappointed. Reacher is an action man all right, as written by author Lee Child, but essentially he is an ex cop. So there's mystery, investgations and conspiracies galore. Cruise may be shorter than how the character was written in the novels, but he is always a good actor, and this is a role that somewhat suits him. Not bad and worth a look. Expand
  51. Jan 23, 2013
    There is a very quiet opening sequence that sets up the pace for this movie, its fast, smart, and enjoyable from start to a predictable yet entertaining finish.
    Jack Reacher is brought to the big screen in a small way, in the form of Tom Cruise, who doesn't exactly fit the description of the monstrous Reacher of the comics, but he certainly brings his own attitude and his own cards to the
    table to leave behind a very convincing role as the mysterious investigator.
    Jack reacher didnt fall into the action hero book to film trap of an all out explosion frenzied movie, it tries to to form a story as its backbone which turn introduces an array of characters, all with a relevant connection to the sniper events at the start of the film.
    The cinematography in Reacher is excellent, it really was surprising to see so much focus on individual shots for a so-called popcorn movie. From the landscaping shots of the sniper scenes to the close cam car chases, it feels more intense, especially since the particular chase scene had no score or background music at all, and it simply worked.
    Cruise does bring difference to a role that many would have seen as another Ethan Hawke, but Cruise manages to draw the line in his movies where he knows what the difference needs to be, Cruise's Reacher is calm, he's isolated, motivated, but more importantly, not afraid to seek justice by any means necessary, and this was portrayed on screen.
    Rosamund Pike makes a starring role as counsellor Heen Rodin, and daughter to District Attorney Alex Rodin (Richard Jenkins), there is also a minor appearance from Robert Duvall.
    While the turn of events and climax of the film are predictable, it still has a smart finish with guns glitz an glamour.
    The films dialogue was very good indeed and the humorous moments in the film did show that care needed to be taken not to take the film too seriously. The close combat at work here is excellent, bizarre and sometimes horrific (using one mans head to knockout another man, while they are both lying on the floor) but again it fits well with mystery and intrigue surrounding Jack Reacher.
    Fun, sophisticated, well scripted, and a convincing story, the Jack Reacher film is worth the trip.
  52. Jan 2, 2013
    Donning another persona of a vigilante CSI, Jack Reacher, Tom Cruise makes a performance that is bordering on overly fictional, but at the same time charismatically intriguing. Jack Reacher is an action thriller, mixing crime investigation, punch exchanges and some suave driving sequences. In heart, it's heavily focused on a particular case, especially at the first half, people expecting Mission Impossible might not appreciate the intricacy. Action is quite good, more of a realistic scuffle than immense CG scenes, its crude feel has a unique appeal.

The story begins with a retired lone sniper, James Barr, who is allegedly fired on five random persons on broad daylight. When he's captured he asks for Jack Reacher, a former Army Military Police Major who once caught him in his previous spree. Jack is originally unwilling to delve into the case, but ultimately sticks around for the truth, or the dame. Tom Cruise is a good fit for the character, he has a calm and confident air about him, despite probably not as big as Jack Reacher should be. In some scenes he appears as an imposing figure without relying on his size, a somewhat serendipitous result of the casting.

Helen Rodin (Rosamund Pike) plays the damsel, barely sketching on the clichéd role but just not quiet. She's a self-proclaimed pacifist and a lawyer in defense of James Barr. Her role is adequately strong, although somewhat too over the top when she's surprised, and she practically is, most of the time. Warner Herzog (Zec) is grizzly daunting, he really sold the character from a dark place who has sacrifice more things that people are willing to save his life. Robert Duvall as Cash appears somewhat late in the movie, but he steals the attention with a brassy witty senior role, it's a shame he didn't get more screen time as the interactions between him and Tom are entertaining.

Dialogue is cleverly made and delivered, plenty of details but not veering off from mainstream audience. The action has some good moments, more importantly they are well structured to give increased tension as the story progresses. One particular scene from the driving is unpredictably original, although honestly could be too comedic. Camera angles that accompanied the action are accommodatingly focused, often providing clear perspectives so audience can appreciate the action even in faster pace.

Slick performances, good amount of humor and smart plot make Jack Reacher a refreshing crime cinema.
  53. May 11, 2013
    Jack Reacher was a surprisingly fantastic film. I went in thinking, thanks to some slightly misleading trailers, that this was going to be a high octane action movie with a bunch of gun fights, car chases, and explosions but little development and quality. I was completely wrong. While there were a few gun fights, one car chase, and an explosion of sorts, it was done in a completely different manner and was more of an action thriller. Tom Cruise did a great job in his typical role. The rest of the supporting cast was solid enough and the cameo by Robert Duvall was awesome. The plot developed really well and made it more of a "thinking movie" than I anticipated. That being said, the turns in the plot kept the film from becoming stagnant or boring and the action sequences felt real and authentic. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the cinematic elements and there were some flaws in one of the plot twists but nothing that really hurt the movie-watching experience. All-in-all, I'd say this was a great movie that most people would very much enjoy watching. Expand
  54. Nov 2, 2013
    Jack Reacher was nothing like I expected it to be. The previews made this film look like a comedy, featuring some bad ass cop that doesn't play by the rules. The film itself couldn't be more different from how it was packaged and I think that's why it didn't do as well as it could have at the box office. The character, Jack Reacher, comes from a series of novels and the film is taken directly from one of the books. Strangely enough, they didn't choose the first book written to introduce us to the character, but one written much later. Reacher has spent his whole life in the military and retired as a military police detective. He had enough of not really helping those who deserved help and went off the grid. Now, Reacher only shows up when someone is in need of his help and in this film, that person is a former suspect of his. Reacher knows the man is guilty, but doesn't think he'd do this horrible crime on his own and he goes to investigate. The film was fast-paced and had an interesting story to tell, but they don't let us figure anything out! Jack Reacher has all the answers and tells us everything we need to know and how he figured it out way before we did. I get it, he's some kind of police savant, but it really is frustrating. I love a good mystery and the allure is in figuring it out on my own, but this film never gave me the chance. Tom Cruise stars and fans of the book series were mortified by the choice of producers to have him star as Reacher. I don't care much for Cruise either, but the fans protest had to do with the book describing him as a 6'7 powerhouse. Well who would they rather have had play Jack Reacher, The Rock? This was a major, high budget film, and it needed a big name. Cruise actually does a decent job and was very believable, as was the story, but the one major drawback for me was just how little was left to the imagination. Expand
  55. Oct 9, 2013
    Thought this was going to be an old-style hero kicks-ass and blows everything up doing it, but instead it's a murder mystery with Tom Cruise out of his element in this type of mixed role. Seriously, much of this film could've played out on an episode of Dateline: NBC which specializes in murder mysteries. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but keep your expectations decidedly low.
  56. Jan 9, 2013
    The more you think about it the more ridiculous it gets, so don't and take it at face value and have a fun at the theaters. This is crime thriller lite, it entertains while your watching but it instantly vaporizes as soon as you get your butt off the cinema seat. This is all Cruise, which is a good thing he's one of the few actors left who never seems to just phone it in. With him I'd like to see Reacher ride off to a sequel though a much much tighter script would greatly be appreciated. The main villain is stock the leading lady could have been more fleshed out because Ms.Pike (god bless those knockers) isn't all that interesting which is too bad. Other than that if they decide to make another Reacher film i'm all for it. Expand
  57. Jul 27, 2013
    Jack Reacher was a quirky movie with a good deal of action that made it a hidden gem. There were moments where the writing seemed to drag a bit, but otherwise it was an enjoyable movie. There are few Tom Cruise movies that aren't entertaining.
  58. May 22, 2013
    A thrilling, intense vigilante thriller. With all the action of a superhero movie, and a really good mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat, it is no doubt a movie that should be among the best of 2012.
  59. Feb 12, 2014
    Cheesy dialogues? Cliche characters? Unconvincing slow fight scenes? Predictable plot twists? Outright boring car chase? Wannabe "bad-ass" Tom Cruise? All of that is Jack Reacher, the most generic bull **** movie I've seen in a while, and I warn you from doing the same.
  60. Jan 21, 2013
    Despite the exaggerated and absurd situations in the film and the screenplay´s silly moments, Jack Reacher has its qualities. Starting with Werner Herzog, who is a good villain, he is threatening and scary (and sometimes unintentionally funny, because of the horrible dialogues). Tom Cruise tries hard, but delivers an very over the top performance. The opening scene creates good suspense, but it´s pay-off is so disappointing. The best scene is the stylized car chase. But after all, despite all the films efforts, Jack Reacher is definitely not a must-see. Expand
  61. Jan 9, 2013
    Despite its predictable premise, Jack Reacher is still that lovable vigilante that allows the film to be characteristically prismatic; all the stunning chase scenes, chemistry between Cruise and Pike, rapid pacing and the bad-ass main character combine to make a healthy action flick that succeeds in its purpose to thrill audiences.
  62. May 11, 2013
    It is absolutely entertaining, though that's solely because of the action and acting. Tom Cruise is great in the lead role and it's always good to see Robert Duvall in a movie, because he's always good. The directing was as it is in all action films; irrevelant, as all action movie directors seem to do the same thing over-and-over. Despite that, as I said before, it was an entertaining watch.
  63. Apr 25, 2013
    its bit mediocre movie, writers and stunt directors made a mess even though they had a potential to make a good movie.Anyhow this movie is quite watchable but its not worth the money if you going to watch it in cinema.
  64. May 10, 2013
    This was the worst case of miscasting in order to get a star's name. I read every Jack Reacher novel and this movie was based on the best One Shot. Jack Reacher is over 6 foot tall and Tom Cruise is 5 foot 7. If this movie was made 10 years ago Jack Reacher would be played by Arnold Schwarzenegger
  65. Apr 19, 2013
    Having read the books, I have always thought of Jack reacher as the "Real Jason Bourne". A great film and adaption from one shot the book. I loved it!
  66. Apr 23, 2013
    tom cruise does a good job in this action/suspense? movie. i wish the story was a little better and thought out. also his back story is never really brought to its fullest i thought. with that said i did find enjoyment out of it and would recommend a watch.
  67. Nov 2, 2013
    I thought it was good, but it is not as fast as I thought it would be. The character is more than some fighter, so the movie has some detective work.Hes pretty bad ass but the movie has more to it than action, some times a bit slower than I expected from this movie.
  68. Jan 8, 2013
    What was Tom Cruise, the big blockbuster movie guy known for trillion dollar franchises like mission impossible doing in this half-baked piss poor movie that just reeks of being rushed for the holiday season? Personally, I would have rather paid to see the Guilt Trip (yeah, its that bad) but my buddies bought my ticket for me.

Basically, some dude picks off a bunch of dudes GTA-style
    and falls into a coma after name dropping some other mysterious dude who apparently makes people gush, blush, get their panties in a bunch or go berserk or all of the above. No one knows who he is or what he does or where he's from or how he got there but instantly he's a private investigator, an MMA street fighter, a hypnotic with the power of persuasion who can get people to just hand over their cars, information and other stuff for no reason at all. All the ladies want to sleep with him and all the guys want to beat him senseless. Who is he? He's Jack Reach Around...errr...Jack Reacher. But who cares? Action? What action? There's 3 fights in the entire movie....and that's it. The rest of it is all investigative mumbo jumbo and legal crap that makes you wish that CSI (which it clearly got its influence from) never happened. And apparently its totally cool with the cops that Mr. Reacher shoots people, breaks into homes, steals cars and bangs the D.A.'s daughter. Remember, he's got the power of persuasion...awwww yeah.

Honestly this movie sucks. It's not worth seeing at the cinema. You'd do better to wait for it on-demand or netflix or something. It's easily among the most forgettable movies of 2012.
  69. Apr 26, 2013
    The movie was interesting and entertaining. Tom Cruise as an actor does a decent job in the movie. I really liked the fact that you can actually figure out most things his character figures out in the movie if you were paying close attention and were as analytical as he was. The movie did not hide clues and suddenly reveal them to give the character an unrealistic 'superpower' level of deduction. There were a few scenes that could have been better executed and were 'action' movie cliche, but for the most part it was pretty realistic most of the time in terms of technical things like firearms. Expand
  70. Dec 25, 2012
    Entertaining. If you do not tie the Tom Cruise character to the Jack Reacher character in the novels, its fine. As always with his movies, Tom Cruise gives the ladies "Cruise Candy" and the guys enough action to keep us from rating the movie a "chick flick".
  71. Dec 26, 2012
    Jack Reacher took the best things of Bond, Bourne, & Die Hard and crammed it into one movie, and did it pretty well. An excellent performance by Tom Cruise, as well as everyone else involved. One thing however, I wouldn't have released this film this time of year. It's really more of a summer flick in my opinion. Maybe they will do that for the next Reacher film.
  72. Dec 30, 2012
    I thought the movie itself was done well, and was reasonably loyal toward the book. Tom acted well, but simply does not rise to the threatening brutality of Jack Reacher. He was far too diminutive and clean cut to be believable as a rough Reacher, and the scene with him shirtless was a joke. Rosamund Pike was probably the strongest actor as Helen Rodin. The Zek and other minor rolls were done well, except David Oyelowo as Emerson. His character ended up with few speaking scenes and was barely noticible. Expand
  73. Jan 1, 2013
    Ok. First of all, i have a ver bad feeling about mr. Cruise in general. But besides that there where two things that i really fined bad in that movie. The first one was a slapstick show during a scene which could have been quite interesting, and the second, was one of the luckiest "precision" shot in movie history. But since i am no movie critic i was entertained and that's wy we are here.

The bad guy was really bad.
  74. Jan 2, 2013
    Tom Cruise sort of nails it this time with his humor and sense of action but this was a decent flick but definitely not Toms best. I really enjoyed the car chase sense where our main protagonistJack Reacher must run from the cops.
  75. Jan 9, 2013
    This was the worst movie I have ever seen that has been made from a best selling book. I have been so disappointed by the lack of integrity to the book that I created this account on this site just so I could talk about the film. I feel like I threw away two hours of my life and will not be wasting my money on watching any future Jack Reacher movies. The lead actress was poor. Tom Cruise was a standard foot to short to play this role with huge segments of the book missing and even entire characters missed out of the film. Expand
  76. Jan 11, 2013
    I have read all the jack reacher books and this movie seemed to disappoint me. Jack reacher is a 200 pound 6 foot male. they brought tom cruise, a 5 foot 4 140 pound male. Why make a movie when your main character resembles nothing to the book character(except the fact that he still is a very skilled assassin). over all i give it a 4
  77. Apr 7, 2014
    I expected to hate this movie. I was forced to watch it at a family gathering. Actually was decent. This review must be longer though. Not my typical genre, but enjoyed the plot.
  78. Jan 20, 2013
    Jack Reacher is a good and entertaining movie. It's not amazingly directed overall and doesn't have beautiful cinematogrophy. It's story is also nothing special. However the action was pretty good, (especially the main car chase), Tom Cruise's performance was also good, and the dialogue was better than most movies like this. It's a slightly above average movie that's fun and worth seeing. I look forward to possible sequals. (First ever review) Collapse
  79. Jan 22, 2013
    I thought Jack Reacher was one of Tom Cruises best films. He was actually believable and cool for a change. The last movie I enjoyed liked this from him was Risky Business. It was the first time in a long time I thought it would be cool to be him. I thought he did a great job of becoming the character and making him believable.
  80. Feb 1, 2013
    This movie deserves a higher rating. If you like action flicks with invincible heroes, you like this movie. A fun action adventure and Tom Cruise once again proves he's the hardest working man in show biz.
  81. Feb 2, 2013
    It was what it was, formulaic entertainment for the masses. You will definitely find yourself engaged in this one on the edge of your seat with sweaty palms...but it was simultaneously just ridiculous at times.
  82. May 19, 2013
    Jack Reacher is not completely without its merits. Devout followers of Lee Child’s novels had trouble accepting Tom Cruise as the strapping, Viking-esque eponymous protagonist, but to reject Tommy Boy too early is a big mistake: for all the constantly-swirling controversy Cruise somehow continues to keep simmering, he’s as able to both fill seats and entertain now as he ever has been. In fact, Cruise’s steely cool is perhaps Christopher McQuarrie’s film’s grandest asset. One can’t quite shake the fact, though, that there should be at the very least a bit more popcorn fun to Jack Reacher. McQuarrie has assembled a sensational cast Richard Jenkins, Robert Duvall, and even our favorite thickly-accented fusspot Werner Herzog appear here but after the gleeful advent of their mere presence wears off, there’s not all that much for them to do. Jack Reacher wants to be a new kind of Mission: Impossible where Bourne Supremacy-esque action replaces any deep need for well-rounded character, but McQuarrie and Cruise never fully get around to successfully making their case. This is easily-digestible Hollywood fare, to be sure, but there’s not quite enough meat on the bone here. Expand
  83. Jul 14, 2013
    Tom Cruise plays the ex-military fighting machine who defeats the bad guys and charms the ladies with his rugged looks. The storyline is as bouncy as the cleavage of the shallow female lead role. Jack Reacher is bashed by the critics, but average viewer will enjoy watching it
  84. Jun 18, 2013
    Tom Cruise continues to be a good action star, but his choice of films need to be questioned. The script and story are weak and as much as Cruise's charisma helps it is not enough.
  85. May 8, 2013
    Tom Cruise is Tom-Cruise-In-Action-Movie-mode. Whether he's playing Jack Reacher, or Ethan Hunt, or the Knight guy from that Cameron Diaz movie...he's varying degrees of Tom Cruise. I can accept that. What I appreciated most is the '70s feeling I got watching this, sp. the car chase and shootout scenes. McQuarrie must be a fan of The Seven Ups, and others of the type. And with Caleb Deschanel lensing the action, it looks damn good. (Notice how the cinematography in films like Skyfall and Mission Impossible:GP are handled by current masters like Roger Deakins and Robert Elswit...?) Expand
  86. Mar 24, 2013
    Possibly the worst character casting of any book to film movie. This version destroys the only main character of the book and therefore renders the movie laughable. If you are a Lee Child fan, stay away from this film and retain your original character. Tom Cruise sucked also.
  87. Oct 2, 2013
    Well its not as bad as some of the other movies I've seen recently but it is kinda boring, was expecting more action but it is watchable if you don't have anything else to do.
  88. May 22, 2013
    Tom Cruise puts for another solid performance as the focused and quick-witted Jack Reacher in this clumsily drifting, but competent and entertaining action-thriller. -MN
  89. Aug 3, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, me parecio fascinante y espectacular, con un argumento increible;para mi este es uno de los mejores papeles que Tom Cruise haya interpretado.
  90. May 31, 2013
    This is the best movie ever made!,

After watching it i wanted to watch it again.
    While watching them investigating and unraveling the mystery there is a atmosphere the deeper they go that something bad happen and the characters show the sense of urgency usually just when its too late.
    The way they have added a bit of humor too, fits in so well and is hilarious, but maintains a serious
    movie feel. The gun scenes have a call of duty similarity and being a fan it was exciting to watch.
    All the characters are amazing, after this movie and oblivion i forgive Tom for going a bit crazy in the past.

Its not a movie its a adventure, a mystery that makes you feel the climax coming and does not disappoint. Blue ray version recommended.
  91. May 31, 2013
    No, there is nothing new with Jack Reacher in terms of contributing to the genre. However, if you like the genre then this is a more than passable example. This is well worth the time invested in watching if the expectations going in aren't set too high. In fact, you may come away hoping for more from Cruise's Reacher.
  92. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jack Reacher is a movie that doesnt deliver its expectations a louzy plot and Tom Cruise preformence is non inspirational and emotionless he was acting as a military profesional and Helen Rodin played by Rosamund Pike i the only thing i liked she played as a defense attorney trying to defend her emplyer James Barr Accused of murdering five people on a parking lot with a sniper rifle and jack was hired to help him the assassin used a parking meter to count his time of being there and used the quarter for his finger print and then they reveal the main adversary The Zen which means prisoner and test random people to join his cause. what i think of this is a plot for an 80's action thriller this didnt belong in this decade if they ever make this movie again improve it and make it a better expiriance for the people because when i went in the theater they were only 6 people there and it was Jan/02/2013 and it was my first mistake of the year i give it a 3 out of 10 Expand
  93. Nov 11, 2013
    It starts promisingly but overall it's an action/thriller with a simple plot that needed more development and mediocre fights. However the hero is memorable because he doesn't follow the rules and Amy Smart is super cute.
    argonautis.eu
  94. Jul 7, 2013
    In some respects, it's easy to see why Jack Reacher was never going to be a darling for the critics. Where in the Crime genre, you expect great success to only come from a riveting script, cajoled and simmered for years before anyone even thinks about directing it.

What you must remember, then, is that Lee Child knocks one of these books out every year. If anything, the story he
    provides is just a standard crime thriller. Such prolific output is usually fit for straight-to-TV drama series', so it's a surprise that Jack Reacher not only received the treatment it deserved, but also provides perhaps the most entertaining crime-thriller since The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Tom Cruise, hate him or love him, and forgetting the height issue, is definitely Reacher. Part of my respect for the film comes from solely how well he pulled the character off. As for the plot, it's standard Lee Child fare. You're provided with the general story, not so much a whodunnit as a whodiddit with them. There's red herrings, viewpoints from both the good and bad guys, and it is all paced at the same break neck speed as the novels.

My only gripe is that the reveals are all quite predictable and unexciting, which again, comes back to Child's original work. Although he can write great material and characters, the mystery side to his novels has, even after all these years, been rather amateurish. But what's important here is that everyone involved in the film makes it completely believable, right until the final scene, which, is hardly Bourne, but still a great finale.
  95. Jul 20, 2013
    Didn't get the chance to watch this in theaters but it was definitely a good Saturday night movie to watch on the couch with a few friends, probably not the movie to boast about in your collection.
  96. Jan 9, 2014
    Jack Reacher isn't good as a story, and it doesn't come together as a movie in the end. It feels like a generic action movie, but it is fairly diverting.
  97. Sep 25, 2013
    This is a movie that if you got it you liked it, if you didn't get it you didn't like it. The source material came through really strong with the dramatic tension of the book brought to life in a way that is rare for adaptations to do. Casting was spot on, it was nice to see Tom Cruise take an a colder character than his usual more emotional roles.
  98. Dec 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like other reviewers below, I cannot believe Lee Child could give Tom Cruise free rein to play this character and completely trash this movie. Anyone who has read the book will see this movie for the overhyped nonsense it is. No attempt has been made to convey who the real Jack Reacher is; this movie makes him appear as a thug who can shoot and fight better than the other thugs. Perhaps Cruise could have spent some time wasted on slow motion shots panned round the room or the over-dramatic looks on his and his tripey co-star Pike's faces and instead give us the missing information which would have made sense of it all the framed person's sister, more history about the Zec.
    What a waste of time.
  99. Jan 7, 2014
    Though I did not read the book that this title is based upon, and cannot therefore make speculation as to how well it holds true to the source material, I will say that this is a well put together film that doesn't ask it's audience to do anything more than sit back and wait for the narrative to be unraveled. Though it teases a few twists, the plot is pretty easily predictable. The charm that this film has, is not in being a psychological rollercoaster in the same league as Michael Douglas' "The Game" nor is it in being an over the top action movie in the same vein as Bruce Willis' "Die Hard", but rather being a coalescence of the two.

Tom Cruise (love him or hate him) does what Tom Cruise does best, he allows himself to partially melt away from the screen and allows the character to come out and be somewhat believable. Now, though Cruise's acting ability is no where near the likes of the Masterful Gary Oldman, or Daniel Day-Lewis, he does a good job of getting out of the way of his character enough that you believe him. Though some people will disagree with me on the grounds that his range of characters are all loosely the same, I would argue that it would be smart of an actor to accept roles that he knows he can knock out of the park so to speak. And if the argument continued there is only one thing I would have to say, "Interview with a Vampire" and at that point we'd be concluded.

Rosamund Pike is excellent in this film, she also brings a level of legitimacy to some of her roles that are in movies that have no business having any such thing ('Doom' I'm looking at you). Given the circumstances she is faced with the natural reaction of anyone in that situation would be one of terror, though she still allows the character to shine through as a strong female (given it is within her arena as a lawyer). Don't get me wrong, her role won't be winning any points for the flick from someone who is putting it up to the Bechdel test. This does not diminish how well she played the role, from strong confident lawyer to "deer in the headlights" terrified civilian. There are moments where she switches gears so rapidly that you can't help but believe that she is petrified beyond all reason. An excellent performance by an actress who deserves more of the good and fulfilling kinds of roles someone of her caliber desires.
  100. Mar 4, 2014
    Jack Reacher is a very smart thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Tom cruise sells the character Jack Reacher even though the title character is 6ft 5, blonde hair and a lean 220 muscular body.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jan 19, 2013
    A trim thriller with an enviable lack of grandeur. [21 Jan. 2013, p.79]
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Dec 31, 2012
    Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise deliver on their promise, with a witty, violent take on Reacher that makes up for its lack of height with an abundance of smarts and thrills.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Dec 23, 2012
    Despite a terrific cast, Jack Reacher comes up empty-handed.