6.1

1. Feb 9, 2014
    I normally never get up and leave before the end of a movie, but I was so bored.... Kevin Costner reminds me of an old question, "What do you have to do to get fired in Hollywood?" The answer will come to you as your eyes glaze over and you start thinking about taking a nap.
  2. Jan 17, 2014
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit updates its Cold War hero for the modern world, but doesn’t give him a story original enough to warrant further adventures or to distinguish him anymore from the rest of the action pack.
  3. Jan 19, 2014
    Major disappointment. It lacked enough credibility to suspend belief, like the prior classic Jack Ryan films.

The writing and plotting was lazy, insulting, and downright ridiculous, even for a middle-of-January summer popcorn movie. Lazy, because there was no interest in researching and integrating any details that add credence to the characters or plot. Insulting, because it didn't
    trust its audience to possess any intelligence or sophistication. And ridiculous, for the plot machinations that allowed Jack Ryan to do the things he did.

I like Chris Pines, and he was allowed to show a bit of his natural charisma, but it wasn't nearly enough to save this film.
  4. Jan 21, 2014
    Chris Pine is the latest to play Jack Ryan, following Harrison Ford, Alec Baldwin, and Ben Affleck. This latest version is made in the more modern style of the Bourne and Mission Impossible movies with a lot of action and noise. Most of the movie is completely ludicrous, as are most movies in this genre, but it is well made and acted. I was hoping before the movie even began that it wouldn't have the dreaded countdown timer at the end of the movie, but of course they had to throw that in as it seems to be a requirement in all these spy movies. The scene on the airplane where everyone is trying to figure out where the bad guy is and where he's going to strike next is really ridiculous how they figure it all out in about 3 minutes so you really have to suspend all belief when watching a film like this. Still, it's never boring! Expand
  5. Jan 19, 2014
    Well made, excitingly paced action, spy pic. All of the lead actors were exactly what was needed: Chris Pine, soft on the eyes, action hero, an average Joe in for more than he bargained for, but a soldier first and foremost; Keira Knightley, the pretty innocent who tags along, and then is up to the tasks at hand; Kevin Costner, the old mentor and Kenneth Branagh, who gets special mention for playing a Russian flawlessly. The plot was not complicated, easy to understand, but exciting even with its simplicity. And the plot was thoughtful in our contemporary times: full of technology and ideas of economic terrorism. The films was pleasant in its setting: lavish apartments and office buildings, high tech screens, exteriors in Moscow. Expand
  6. Jan 29, 2014
    Slow. The movie start out with a small amount of action Jack is working for the CIA under cover as an Accountant for a large company. The first 45 minutes are slow. NO action. Slow. Get the point? It's an action spy movie that's slow. Same old basic spy plot to Crash the financial system. Sound close to reality?
  7. Jan 18, 2014
    One of the best films I've seen in a while. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is possibly the best spy thriller I've ever seen. Some reasons for this are the amazing cast, led by Chris Pine, who should really get more credit for his talent. The plot was well developed and interested and the dialogue had a great combination of realism mixed with some thrown in humor that lightened an otherwise very dark and intense movie. Intense would be the word of choice, too, because this is definitely an edge-of-your-seat thriller from fairly early on. I couldn't give it top marks mainly because of the way the earlier part of the film is structured. It feels a bit cut-and-paste and doesn't develop the characters as well as it could've. The movie flies by so it easily could've been 15 minutes longer in order to better develop these things. Nonetheless, it's a great movie and worth the price of entry. Expand
  8. May 11, 2014
    Well acted, The plot keeps you some-what interested even though it's a bit generic, and the action, while a bit on the lite side through out, is enjoyable as well. Overall, Shadow Recruit is a pretty solid film but it doesn't really wow you in any way, shape, or form.
  9. Feb 14, 2014
    As average as they get, seen it all a million times already. Full of over the top usual BS and mission impossible wanna be, below average directing and acting to match, just a quick hit and run movie to rake in some cash. An alright movie to watch on TV while multitasking, nothing more.
  10. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went in with very low expectations and was extremely pleasantly surprised. Kenneth Brannagh delivers a very solid spy movie. Chris Pine fits the part, doesn't overact and is very well supported by Kevin Costner, Kenneth Brannagh and Keira Knightly. Beautiful cinematography. I loved the shot of the reflection of the TV screen on the wall showing the burning Twin Towers. What a great way to set the tone for a game of shadows. Also, the sequence in the movie theater almost makes the movie feel old school, which contrasts well with all the slick technology. Very entertaining. Expand
  11. Feb 13, 2014
    January is my least favourite month for new movies. By this time of year, Hollywood studios are focusing much of their attention on the Sundance Film Festival, looking to acquire hidden gems, potential blockbusters and, and marvelous new indies. These films are generally purchased for next to nothing, and then marketed and released throughout the summer and fall months with the hope that they might land a huge profit. With that being said, while Hollywood runs around securing their paychecks for the upcoming year, the rest of their unwanted, formulaic, and cliched roster is leftover for audiences in January. Now let me be the first to tell you, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is no exception to this formula. Using the star-power of Chris Pine’s Stark Trek franchise charm, to faded out female leads like Kiera Knightley, and ex-Marvel super director Kenneth Branagh (Thor), Ryan becomes a shady, old, and tiresome relic of the glorified days of the once cool Tom Clancy character.

This was one film project we wish stayed in the deep dark corners of Hollywood’s unproduced films, but like much of the industry’s obsession with rehashing established characters and modernizing them for current audiences, the film is a complete decomposed mush of ideas. Shadow Recruit is an overly-flashy, glossed over disaster. Failing to recruit any kind of originality in it’s storytelling and script, it becomes a non-operational feature with actors who are clearly cashing in to a well established iconic Hollywood character.

The Jack Ryan character, made famous previously by Alec Baldwin in The Hunt for Red October, Harrison Ford in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger and Ben Affleck in The Sum of All Fears came out well before all the Ethan Hunt’s and Jason Bourne’s of its time. What differentiated Ryan from all the super-human covert agents, was his ability to be the closest thing to an average, everyday superhero. Mind you, in his newest entry in the film world, Ryan seems to have his fare share of dumb luck a lot of the time–all the time actually.

The film was supposed to be released on Christmas Day 2013, instead, due to an overcrowded array of blockbusters and late-entry Oscar caliber films, Shadow Recruit opted for an early 2014 slot where it seems to fit in much better.

Pine plays Jack Ryan, who we first see attending the London School of Economics in England. After a fateful September day in New York City (I’m sure you can guess which day I’m referring to, especially since all terrorist inspired spy-plots these days revolve around, if not hint at this historic day), Ryan pursues a career as a United States Marine. Wounded in action, Ryan oddly gains the attention of CIA agent Thomas Harper (Kevin Costner). Ryan’s intellectual expertise and Marine instincts, along with Harper’s experience in the agency, the two team up to bring down an elaborate economic scheme that will leave the United States in a Second Great Depression. Plunged into the world of Wall Street as an analyst, Ryan unnoticeably navigates the corrupt underworld of financial markets, which inevitably leads him on a place to Russia and face-to-face with Victor Cherevin (Kenneth Branagh). Between navigating the Russian crime world, a life of espionage and the annoying and overbearing requests of his girlfriend Kathy Muller (Knightley), Jack is tested physically and mentally as he is left with the fate of the US economy resting on his shoulders.

Throughout the course of his mission, time and again Ryan begin to lose faith in his ability to come through a hero, and frankly so do we. The blame can’t all be put on Pine, who really does his best with material that seems D.O.A once it hits the screen. Unfortunately, Ryan doesn’t actually accept his mission and take on the bad guys until his female love interest is put in the mix and inevitably endangered, which let’s be honest, makes for a cowardly and unmotivated super-spy.

The film tries its best to round out a cast that is engaging, meticulous and somewhat ironic to the overall Jack Ryan canon. Costner, who mentors Pine as the current Ryan, was first offered the role of Ryan back the late 80′s, but declined to star in Dances With Wolves, which earned him two Oscars. Knightley, who seems to be floating under the radar rather than on the it these days, clearly took the role to get her face back in the mainstream spotlight, especially since her descent into independent feature film fame has not planned out as well as she would have liked since her blockbuster days in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. Branagh, who couldn’t resist adding another cultural character reference to his filmography, offers a typical Russian villain with a laughable accent and unintentionally uproarious one-liners. Either way you look at it, from the lazy one-sheet with the exhausted catch-phrase “Trust No One”, to the overused black/orange colour scheme on the theatrical poster, Shadow Recruit doesn’t seem to have much faith.
  12. Jan 24, 2014
    This film can be summarized in one word: average. It such a shame to say so as well, it was promoted as an action film that could be entertaining whilst maintaining some level of intelligence. Unfortunately, it focuses so much on being intelligent that it becomes quite dull, lacking any real action or emotion. By the time the film reaches its climax, you aren't that intrigued, and you really just don't care about it, which is disappointing, because with its story, it should have been a lot more tense. See it if you're a die hard fan of the other Jack Ryan films, other than that, i can't really recommend this to anyone. Expand
  13. Jan 18, 2014
    Reflections after the screening of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
    I sincerely hope that Woody Allen will not make (and participate as main character in) action/spy movie. I sincerely hope that Sylvester Stallone will not play Hamlet in Broadway. If "Thor" can support the fragrance "King Lear" by Branagh, "The adventures of Agent Zero Zero Shakespeare" are ridiculous with the same perfume. The
    movie is great if you go for a very first time in a cinema and you never watched action movies. Is insulting for the genre. Sorry, but looks like a good student who made his home-works, but never learn the essential. I saw a B-movie with a actors. The reason can be the big ego of the director, the poor story...or me. I think that this movie is to the action/spy genre what is the Tyler Perry's Madea to the comedy genre. Sorry to start this year with such a flop. Expand
  14. Feb 4, 2014
    This film is a definite no go. I was expecting an action packed thriller with Chris Pine playing a 'Jason Bourne'-esqe role. Instead all I found out is that Keira Knightly CANNOT do acting which doesn't involve dark drama. Keira plays the role of Jacks girlfriend, she was dreadful. The whole story and plot was far too unrealistic, bordering on the Need for Speed franchise. Save some time and don't see this. Expand
  15. Mar 2, 2014
    This movie did nothing for **** **** **** assgngjgjfjsjskoeorofkfkfkfkkffkfkfkgiyiyughthfndmcmckcpfodlddkdkdjrjfjfjfjfjfjfjdnxnssnnddnxjdjfjdjdjdjdjdjfjf
  16. Jan 21, 2014
    The Bourne series reboots back to the creation of the secret agent, as a brainy analyst recruited by the CIA. When he happens upon a scheme to collapse our economy, he's sent to Moscow to stop it. Needless to say, chases and violent encounters ensue. Chris Pine has moved into the lead and he's an assured, solid action hero. Even though the plot has no surprises, director Kenneth Branagh (who also plays the bad guy) has crafted a taut little mission. Unfortunately, the blurry camerawork obscures much of the action. The attractive Russian locations (inside and out) are a bonus and the movie's momentum makes it entertaining. NOTE: Ballet legend Mikhail Baryshnikov has a cameo. Expand
  17. Aug 13, 2014
    Some have said the movie opens slowly, but I liked the fact that they took time to show us WHY a person might become a covert agent and how that transition FEELS when a person is confronted with danger or killing for the first time. I thought it fleshed Jack Ryan out more than most spy films. Later it got more typical in the action stages.
  18. Jun 13, 2014
    Maybe it won't blow you away like the Bourne and Bond series has, but Jack Ryan proves to be worth a watch. With a smartly written plot, well shot action, and excellent cast, there's a lot to enjoy here. The plot might not always be the most original thing in the world, but is still enjoyable. I have to say as someone who hasn't liked Chris Pine in the past, I really enjoyed him here. He's not playing some pretty boy d-bag like I would expect him to, but rather a likable and not arrogant character. Costner and Knightley are also fantastic, with Knightley in particular proving noteworthy. Her character isn't just another pretty face. With such an excellent batch of characters I found it hard to not enjoy the movie. It may not be as noteworthy or original as some other similar movies in the genre, but it's still worth a look. My total score is a 7.5/10=Good. Expand
  19. Jan 27, 2014
    Very good action-filled movie from start to finish. After the mixture of actors that have portrayed Jack Ryan and particularly mediocre showings from Ben Affleck and Alec Baldwin, this young Chris Pine is a breath of fresh air. Chris really brings a youth and intensity to the character. The only fault I can list is Keira Knightley's character as Ryan's love interest; her reaction to the revelation of what Ryan really does for a living lacks in some believability... Expand
  20. May 9, 2014
    With its modest running time and fast pace, Shadow Recruit becomes an interesting action film that keeps your attention. If you're looking for mindless entertainment for a weekend evening, then this is your movie.
  21. Aug 16, 2014
    Total garbage. The first 3rd of the movie isn't too bad, and actually gets you excited for the rest, but it ends up disappointing. Zero excitement, zero intelligence, and zero story. One of the most boring films I have ever seen.
  22. Jan 28, 2014
    Jack Ryan is a slick and very professionally mounted action movie in which the unfolding is more entertaining than the denouement. Two sequences in particular are nail bitingly tense and they elevate the film to a higher plane than most other movies of this genre type. It also helps that the acting is above average. Chris Pine, Kiera Knightley, Kenneth Brannagh and Kevin Costner all offer up excellent characterisations and it's good to see Knightley out of costume (period costume, that is) for a change. Brannagh, complete with foreign accent, offers up a villain to compete with the best and his directorial style keeps everything fast and furious. He seems to be relishing the change of pace with this film and his previous one, 'Thor', which was an equally action packed and even more ambitious project. In any event both are a long way from the literate and stately Shakespeare movies that have been his signature directorial achievements up to now.
    Only the final chase sequence lets things down as the story becomes more improbable and frenetic. It's all tosh, of course, but for most of its 105 minutes one is quite happy to invest time with it.
  23. Jun 17, 2014
    The title is attractive which gives idea like the movies 'Ocean's Eleven' and 'The Recruit'. We can say it is something like that, but not a heist movie, though the law enforcement theme. As usual, it is the good guys (Americans) versus the bad (Russians, sometimes Germans). After the successful movie 'Thor' I did not expected a movie like this from the director. It is like falling back to the average, I thought he's better than this. This movie was a nice entertainer though had few problems in some areas.

The movie kick starts with the real incidental disaster attached to the opening scene. And then moves into a few years later where the regular story begins. The movie focused only three main characters plus a villain and fails to recognize others around them. Jack Ryan is an Afghan war veteran who is recruited by the secret force official Tom Harper. He believes it is an easy job and honoured to serve his country. After sometime the role of his duty completely changes. Now he has to fight back from a Russian power hand in order to save himself. While advancing everything it goes faster and drag in the people around him he love. Can he successfully pull off the mission is what the grand ending reveals.

The cast was not bad at all as well their performances. The equal amount of action, drama and thriller kept the movie get going at a constant pace. But I was really bored for half of the movie. I did not find any freshly innovated scenes with this altered story of many other movies. While a watch you would remember 'Mission Impossible', and 'Bourne' series and of course including one of the titles from the first paragraph I mentioned. An average summer entertainment movie. I better must forget this and expect the director's next project 'Cinderella' instead.

6.5/10
  24. Jan 21, 2014
    Cliched and largely unoriginal story but highly engaging and very gripping during the denouement. A really likeable film with touches of Mission Impossible in a modern hi-tech scenario. Could have done with less camera movement.
  25. Jan 25, 2014
    It wasn't really bad, just bad. The acting from Kevin Costner and Chris Pine were fine but Keira Knightley and Kenneth Branagh were bad. The action scenes were too choppy and overall it was just very boring. Not worth going to see.
  26. Jul 27, 2014
    Decent thriller/action piece. The charisma of the two main characters helps the film hold it together (especially Chris Pine, I´m liking him more and more and discovering more sides of him). Nice plot and nice action. If you are looking for entertainment you won´t be disappointed.
  27. Mar 7, 2014
    A fun spy movie that I went into with nearly zero expectations. Does not reach the highs of the current Bond films, but still entertaining with likable performances.
  28. Jun 12, 2014
    Seeing the commercial is what really got me to see this movie. While watching I thought that the fighting, action, suspense, was all on point. But when trying to think about the story it just didn't make a lot of sense. Like I couldn't think of what the movie was trying to portray. Up until I got out of the movie theater it started to make sense......But that was after looking at my phone to check on a website what it was about and then I was able to process how it made sense. Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2014
    Nothing super special but still a really fun action film. Chris Pine made a fantastic Jack Ryan and Kevin Costner and Keira Knightley give strong supporting performances. Overall the script isn't amazing, but as far as recent action films go this is pretty good. B
  30. Jan 18, 2014
    Jack Ryan Shadow recruit has its moments but by the end you just want to leave the movie. Writing was descent and directing was good but the story line was a little dull
  31. Feb 3, 2014
    Chris Pine is maturing and his acting shows it. With a mediocre rating from Metacritic, my wife and I almost waited to rent the disc but relented and went to see it on 'senior discount day' and we were pleasantly surprised. The movie has just the right amount of action and is intelligently done. The cinematography is not first rate in places but overall it was a very enjoyable flick.
  32. Aug 1, 2014
    It certainly wasn't The Hunt for Red October but this was a fairly action packed and enjoyable popcorn movie. Don't expect Oscar performances but not bad overall.
  33. Jun 10, 2014
    Pretty generic by the numbers spy movie. Tons of plot holes and nothing new to speak of. OK for $1.25 at Redbox as something to pass the time. Nothing special here.
  34. Jul 11, 2014
    Not as entertaining as the expectations, but still watchable.

The opening scene is slow and boring, and the SFX could have been better. There are also almost no unique things that makes this movie special in comparison to other movies, but in the end is Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit great. The reason why is because the actors are great, and that the ending and the story is good. There are
    also a good amount of action that keeps me entertained.

A film with many deficiencies, but watchable.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit gets a 7/10
  35. Jun 11, 2014
    "You Americans like to think of yourselves as direct. Perhaps you are just rude."

"You Russians like to think you're poets but perhaps you're just touchy."

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit was actually a pretty decent movie and certainly not the worst action movie to come out this year that for sure goes to I, Frankenstein. I really don't understand all the hate for this film i guess maybe
    since its a Jack Ryan movie people expected more from it but lets be honest here its not like the previous Jack Ryan film (The Sum of All Fears) was all that great either and this one is for sure better than that one. I for one like Chris Pine and thought he did a solid performance in this but i felt that the lacking script held back his performance also once i seen Keira Knightley i thought she was just going to be annoying but surprisingly she wasn't. Kenneth Branagh is known for acting in his own movies and again he does it in this as the villain but sadly he just wasn't that great and the way that he dies was seriously lame.

The movie follows Jack Ryan(Chris Pine) and after the events of 9/11 he enlist into the US Marine corps and is soon fighting in Afghanistan where he is critically injured when his helicopter is shot down by a RPG missle. During rehab Jack grows a relationship with a medical student Cathy Muller(Keira Knightley) and also catches the attention of Thomas Harper(Kevin Costner) a CIA official. Not long after completing rehab Jack is approached by Harper to join the CIA. Now the film picks up ten years later Jack and Cathy are in a serious relationship together and he is working undercover at a Wall Street stock brokerage as a compliance officer. His task is looking for suspicious financial transactions that would indicate terrorist activity. At a United Nations hearing the Russian Federation loses the vote of the Unites States for keeping it the leader in oil exportation in that area which if not would cause the collapse of the Russian economic system.

After noticing things are not right with the market Jack comes across some secret hidden accounts once loaded with trillions of dollars owned by Russian organizations and mostly controlled by Viktor Cherevin(Kenneth Branagh), Jack gets the approval of his boss and heads to Moscow to investigate. Now we have our spy movie and honestly i think the movie would have been better if it had a bit more action in it i mean it started out good but then it slows down for about 45 minutes which in a movie of this genre you just cant have that. Although once the operation starts it doesn't let up with plenty of great action scenes, my favorite being when jack picks up a piece of metal and jumps on a moving cars hood then bashes the driver window opening knocking the driver out, sure it may be unrealistic but that doesn't mean it wasn't cool.

Overall i give it a 6.5 Seeing that this movie was made for only 60 million and its made 135 million total i wouldn't call this movie a box office bomb like some do sure the opening weekend was bad but basically any movie that gets released in January bombs. Also Kevin Costner was way better in this than he was in 3 Days to Kill.
  36. Jun 14, 2014
    It's not art, but it got me through two hours on a treadmill, something not many movies can do. That warrants at least a seven. One question: why is Baryshnikov uncredited? Is he in some sort of Sex and the City Purgatory?
  37. Jun 22, 2014
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Implausible? Yes. Fun? Totally. The plot may be spotty, but that I knew going in. The real surprise is how this one surpasses the usual action movie fare by having actual good performances by Pine, Knightley, Costner, and Branagh. Additionally, the movie sports a tight, concise script and screenplay that I must admit is well written. Third, it is admirable how the movie tries to avoid the mistake of pervasive action and actually tries to give its characters some depth and perspective. You don't see movies like this everyday. Expand
  38. May 22, 2014
    While the action sequences are thrilling, there isn't much of them and despite Chris Pine's usual fine acting, this movie can't help feel like a rerun of better action thrillers.
  39. May 16, 2014
    Honestly, the film feels too short and a bit underwhelming. Personally, I'll welcome any revival/reboot of a long dormant series. But Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit brings nothing new to the table that we haven't seen before, in terms of action and plot. It's a nice hour and 45 minute diversion and somewhat involving, but it takes a while for the supense to pay off. The film's finale is somewhat worth the wait, but still could've been better. The film is just too slow, even for me, and the action and plot isn't unique enough to distinguish itself from many other films out there. Cast and acting was fine. I have no complaints with the acting, because the actors did the best they could with what they were given. However, some events are a bit unbelievable: like Jack being able to take down his much larger and likely sronger assassin disguised as his bodyguard, Jack being the only one capable to save the day, and Jack being able to do all he does in the film even though only becoming "operational" a few hours before. Guess he's just lucky. If this film didn't have the Jack Ryan title, it might've been more heavily criticized.

For longtime Jack Ryan fans, this must make you happy. The film updates the "Cold-War hero" with a story of economic terrorism and geo-politics. It is nice: just not two original or "new". I do hope there will be sequels though, because why not? Also, may Jack Ryan's creator, Tom Clancy, rest in peace

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows. I work hard on them, and to me it's more fun than a hobby. :-)
  40. Jan 24, 2014
    It's that typical yearly action movie. Jack Ryan reminds the audience of that classic action movie, but I couldn't find anything special about it. Sure the plot is good, but it's not great. This movie could've been longer and could've had more action stunts. However, it's still an entertaining movie to watch, especially in the beginning of the year.
  41. Jan 27, 2014
    If you are looking for mindless entertainment for a winter’s afternoon (or evening) then Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit is your movie. If you are looking for an intelligent well acted spy thriller then not so much. Writers Adam Cozad and David Koepp have taken Tom Clancy’s reluctant CIA analyst who keeps being drawn into the action whether he wants to go or not and cast him as a CIA analyst working undercover on Wall Street who reluctantly gets drawn into the action in Moscow. This time Jack Ryan, who has been portrayed by almost as many actors as Batman or James Bond is woodenly played by Chris Pine. Pine’s main claim to fame is his ability to flawlessly recreate William Shatner’s James T Kirk in the unnecessary reboots of the Star Trek franchise. Along for this preposterous ride is Keira Knightley as Ryan’s not-quite-wife. Within 24 hours she is able to get time off work at a major New York hospital, get a visa to visit Russia and fly to Moscow to surprise our hero in his hotel room. When he finally admits to her that he is a CIA agent she is happily relieved because she thought he was having an affair. After totally accepting Jack’s double life she becomes an important partner in his spycraft, and to top it off is fully conversant in Russian literary fiction.

One of the movie posters has the tag line “Trust no one” but there is no double crossing or “things are not as they seem” anywhere in this movie. Kevin Costner manages to be stiffer than Pine in his portrayal of the senior operative who is Jack’s handler in Moscow. Director Kevin Branagh is suitably evil as the Russian financier bent on destroying the US economy with the full blessing of the Russian minister of something-or-other. Even our suicide bomber plays according to cliché. No plot twist anywhere.

The action sequences though make up for the weak storyline and weaker acting. No Oscar winner but an adequate time-waster when it’s 20° below zero.
  42. Feb 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The main problem with this film is that it is just too damn generic, so let's look at our generic spy movie cliches check list shall we: Russians as the bad guys even after the Cold War ended, check. Shaky Cam ,check. Plot Twist which is retarded, check. The having to hide your secret from your love interest, check.
    Generic bad guy check. Generic mentor, check. Generic Protagonist, check. Generic love interest, check.
    Jason Bourne wannabe, check.
  43. Feb 1, 2014
    Idea of this movie isn't new. Good guy Jack Ryan (Chris Pine) is super altruist who can sacrifice himself to save life of others people.
    he had unbelievable disease, but was strong enough to win it.
    it is stereotype, isn't it? that everyone wants work for CIA to make USA better oups, I make mistake, make the world better is more correct. This things and stories about how great is to be a
    spy or any other top-secret agent fed to the teeth.
    How much stories have your heard in News about Spies who rescued the world or country or etc from terrorists, or bad Russians or other staff ??? I think not once.
    Yep, Russian is so stupid and look like gollums and act like idiots like in 1990s movies.
    So, to the end of this review I would like to say that that movie is idea less and of course if you want to waist your time - that good one, but if you want to watch a good movie with sense just try to find another one.
    By the way, it only your decision see or not to see this movie.
    I wish your - Happy Every Day.
    and don't waist your time.
  44. Jan 22, 2014
    What do I want and expect from a movie like this? I want a movie that mixes intelligence with death, explosions and action. Did I get it? No. Any movie of this genre post-Bourne and post Bond Daniel Craig era has a lot to live up to. You can't expect those heights to be reached by each movie but with such money behind it and a reliable if old franchise that offers plenty to work with this movie should have done better and come closer.

The worst crime of this movie is that it is boring. I don't care that the 'Russian' villain was cartoonish. We all love those. What was bad was the lack of action! Yes it's a thriller but it's an action thriller, correct me if I'm wrong. Explosions? One lousy under water one. The Sum of All Fears didn't prevent the nuclear strike it let it happen and then explored the aftermath! Deaths? Only a few and not memorable. Tension? Hardly. We all know the hero will get the goods and save the day, the success in these films is in making the viewer feel that is in doubt. To do that the film needs to have a few surprises up it sleeve - typically using a supporting cast more. You can't do much with only four characters, you can't kill people off or have people be exposed as not who they are. In fact you can hardly do anything at all with four characters (Pine, Costner, Knightley and Branagh).

So, so dull. A decent starting point of a plot lost by lack of action, lack of thriller development, lack of tensions, no surprises and bizarrely a bare bones cast. This, for lack of brevity, is without starting on Pine being too good looking and not a good enough actor to play Jack. If this is what the return of Russia as the villain's looks like I will keep my Muslim terrorist movies for the time being. DULL.
  45. May 26, 2014
    jack ryan is pretty much a averge thriller that can keep you entrained to watch but its nowhere being good .. I kinda felt like it was a dull movie in some parts.
  46. Feb 3, 2014
    Even though it's not saying much, It's the best film of January 2014.
    Cons-Nothing new, Not so good pacing except when it comes to action, some acting is not good, The cinematography is not first rate in place Pros- Most of the acting is believable, Great action scenes, pretty much everything else Recommendation-everyone
  47. Jun 30, 2014
    Pretty good for a spy movie. I like how they rebooted this character. Fun story. Think of it as Jack Ryan Begins. The Kevin Costner character was pretty darn good. Too much Keira for my taste, but I can live with it. Jack is a different kind of a character (spy) and should have been rebooted. Sadly, the public is not going to go see this in mass. Very entertaining
  48. Jun 27, 2014
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is an amazing movie based on best selling book by a award winning author of war (Tom Clancy). it was not like the book what so ever for some fans of Clancy they might be pissed off because it was not written by Clancy himself which was retarted because the concept of the movie was sort of supposes to be about the actually about Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series and not Adam Cozad and David Koepp's Version of Jack Ryan. Grade A- Expand
  49. May 6, 2014
    Propaganda... As always. I'm getting tired of Hollywood. I give it 1/10 only for the beautiful Keira Knightley, without her presence in the movie, I would've puked everywhere. Everything else is amazingly disgusting: the story is completely empty and the cast is limited. I think Jack Ryan is some sort of retarded version of Sam Fisher.
  50. May 24, 2014
    Technically plausible is this movie. Outside of that I kept seeing Captain Kirk as Jack Ryan. His acting was good just couldn't get past that point. Out of everything this movie was, I found surprisingly a rekindled respect for Kevin Costner which had me quite perplexed...and lead me to now watch 3 Days to Kill, so we'll see...but hey, it's leading me to rent his movie so gotta give up respect for Costner. Expand
  51. Sep 10, 2014
    There was some scenes I felt it was too long of the movie. I kept looking at the clock and guess what? Exactly. Sound Mixing was Terrific. Even the Chopper explosion was really loud because it was 7.1 DTS- HD Master Audio Soundtrack. Paramount is really good at Sound mixing DTS-HD. Actors. Most I did not know them. The only actor I knew was Chris Pine. He was OK at this movie, just not his best.
  52. Apr 21, 2014
    Another average action movie. Jack Ryan has some memorable action scenes with average acting and average dialogue. I did really enjoy the plot however if they were able to execute it better it would have been a great movie but they didn't so it just turned out AVERAGE. It will be cool to see some more Jack Ryan movie in the future and see how good those will be.
  53. May 11, 2014
    Usual kick off and subsequent chain of events
    Scenery Gets more interesting when characters drift towards Russian still very uncharted shores but there comes Jack girlfriend on a trip of her own
    I am telling you girlfriends like that do pose serious threat both to US foreign intelligence and Hollywood rate of return
    She doesn't even look American to be honest, although I know she
    is
    I would rewrite the script because of her
  54. Jun 18, 2014
    Jack Ryan starts off quite action packed, but quickly slows down as the story unfolds. Which in this case is not the greatest story ever told, yet another cold war type thriller set in modern times.

The film is quite fast paced once it gets going and will keep you interest for a little while. But I doubt you will be to bothered if you get interrupted whilst watching.

Sadly the main
    character is slightly disjointed for me (no pun intended!), going from a standard GI to special agent/tax man with barely any skills overnight. Getting himself into trouble around every corner, he goes from bland tax man to super hero in a matter of days.

There are much better films of this genre out there, stick to them and leave this one in the shadows.
  55. Jun 13, 2014
    Lo único bueno fue el final. Una película muy clicheada. Las actuaciones flojas, el desarrollo estuvo bien pero no alcanzo el punto donde debio llegar.
  56. Jul 5, 2014
    The idea of the plot was great but not too rich to show us more. I love Chris Pine's character so much. I think it seems like Edge of Tomorrow, for me the main actor and actress, Keira Knightley, were amazing.

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jan 22, 2014
    Branagh might as well have opened a can and dumped it on a plate, the ridges of a factory-line production still perfectly hatched on a gelatinous cylinder of crud.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jan 21, 2014
    A solid outing for a re-Bourne hero that could, with a few key tweaks, generate another round of vehicles for the Clancy cash cow.
  3. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Jan 20, 2014
    In stripping Jack Ryan back to basics it’s lost some sophistication, but reinvigorated an action hero who’s unlike any other on offer and who absolutely earns his second — or rather fourth — shot.