Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

6.0

1. Jan 29, 2014
    Slow. The movie start out with a small amount of action Jack is working for the CIA under cover as an Accountant for a large company. The first 45 minutes are slow. NO action. Slow. Get the point? It's an action spy movie that's slow. Same old basic spy plot to Crash the financial system. Sound close to reality?
  2. Jan 17, 2014
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit updates its Cold War hero for the modern world, but doesn’t give him a story original enough to warrant further adventures or to distinguish him anymore from the rest of the action pack.
  3. Jan 24, 2014
    This film can be summarized in one word: average. It such a shame to say so as well, it was promoted as an action film that could be entertaining whilst maintaining some level of intelligence. Unfortunately, it focuses so much on being intelligent that it becomes quite dull, lacking any real action or emotion. By the time the film reaches its climax, you aren't that intrigued, and youThis film can be summarized in one word: average. It such a shame to say so as well, it was promoted as an action film that could be entertaining whilst maintaining some level of intelligence. Unfortunately, it focuses so much on being intelligent that it becomes quite dull, lacking any real action or emotion. By the time the film reaches its climax, you aren't that intrigued, and you really just don't care about it, which is disappointing, because with its story, it should have been a lot more tense. See it if you're a die hard fan of the other Jack Ryan films, other than that, i can't really recommend this to anyone. Expand
  4. May 11, 2014
    Well acted, The plot keeps you some-what interested even though it's a bit generic, and the action, while a bit on the lite side through out, is enjoyable as well. Overall, Shadow Recruit is a pretty solid film but it doesn't really wow you in any way, shape, or form.
  5. Jun 17, 2014
    The title is attractive which gives idea like the movies 'Ocean's Eleven' and 'The Recruit'. We can say it is something like that, but not a heist movie, though the law enforcement theme. As usual, it is the good guys (Americans) versus the bad (Russians, sometimes Germans). After the successful movie 'Thor' I did not expected a movie like this from the director. It is like falling backThe title is attractive which gives idea like the movies 'Ocean's Eleven' and 'The Recruit'. We can say it is something like that, but not a heist movie, though the law enforcement theme. As usual, it is the good guys (Americans) versus the bad (Russians, sometimes Germans). After the successful movie 'Thor' I did not expected a movie like this from the director. It is like falling back to the average, I thought he's better than this. This movie was a nice entertainer though had few problems in some areas.

The movie kick starts with the real incidental disaster attached to the opening scene. And then moves into a few years later where the regular story begins. The movie focused only three main characters plus a villain and fails to recognize others around them. Jack Ryan is an Afghan war veteran who is recruited by the secret force official Tom Harper. He believes it is an easy job and honoured to serve his country. After sometime the role of his duty completely changes. Now he has to fight back from a Russian power hand in order to save himself. While advancing everything it goes faster and drag in the people around him he love. Can he successfully pull off the mission is what the grand ending reveals.

The cast was not bad at all as well their performances. The equal amount of action, drama and thriller kept the movie get going at a constant pace. But I was really bored for half of the movie. I did not find any freshly innovated scenes with this altered story of many other movies. While a watch you would remember 'Mission Impossible', and 'Bourne' series and of course including one of the titles from the first paragraph I mentioned. An average summer entertainment movie. I better must forget this and expect the director's next project 'Cinderella' instead.

6.5/10
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    It wasn't really bad, just bad. The acting from Kevin Costner and Chris Pine were fine but Keira Knightley and Kenneth Branagh were bad. The action scenes were too choppy and overall it was just very boring. Not worth going to see.
  7. Mar 7, 2014
    A fun spy movie that I went into with nearly zero expectations. Does not reach the highs of the current Bond films, but still entertaining with likable performances.
  8. Jan 18, 2014
    Jack Ryan Shadow recruit has its moments but by the end you just want to leave the movie. Writing was descent and directing was good but the story line was a little dull
  9. Jan 24, 2014
    It's that typical yearly action movie. Jack Ryan reminds the audience of that classic action movie, but I couldn't find anything special about it. Sure the plot is good, but it's not great. This movie could've been longer and could've had more action stunts. However, it's still an entertaining movie to watch, especially in the beginning of the year.
  10. Jan 27, 2014
    If you are looking for mindless entertainment for a winter’s afternoon (or evening) then Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit is your movie. If you are looking for an intelligent well acted spy thriller then not so much. Writers Adam Cozad and David Koepp have taken Tom Clancy’s reluctant CIA analyst who keeps being drawn into the action whether he wants to go or not and cast him as a CIA analystIf you are looking for mindless entertainment for a winter’s afternoon (or evening) then Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit is your movie. If you are looking for an intelligent well acted spy thriller then not so much. Writers Adam Cozad and David Koepp have taken Tom Clancy’s reluctant CIA analyst who keeps being drawn into the action whether he wants to go or not and cast him as a CIA analyst working undercover on Wall Street who reluctantly gets drawn into the action in Moscow. This time Jack Ryan, who has been portrayed by almost as many actors as Batman or James Bond is woodenly played by Chris Pine. Pine’s main claim to fame is his ability to flawlessly recreate William Shatner’s James T Kirk in the unnecessary reboots of the Star Trek franchise. Along for this preposterous ride is Keira Knightley as Ryan’s not-quite-wife. Within 24 hours she is able to get time off work at a major New York hospital, get a visa to visit Russia and fly to Moscow to surprise our hero in his hotel room. When he finally admits to her that he is a CIA agent she is happily relieved because she thought he was having an affair. After totally accepting Jack’s double life she becomes an important partner in his spycraft, and to top it off is fully conversant in Russian literary fiction.

One of the movie posters has the tag line “Trust no one” but there is no double crossing or “things are not as they seem” anywhere in this movie. Kevin Costner manages to be stiffer than Pine in his portrayal of the senior operative who is Jack’s handler in Moscow. Director Kevin Branagh is suitably evil as the Russian financier bent on destroying the US economy with the full blessing of the Russian minister of something-or-other. Even our suicide bomber plays according to cliché. No plot twist anywhere.

The action sequences though make up for the weak storyline and weaker acting. No Oscar winner but an adequate time-waster when it’s 20° below zero.
  11. Feb 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The main problem with this film is that it is just too damn generic, so let's look at our generic spy movie cliches check list shall we: Russians as the bad guys even after the Cold War ended, check. Shaky Cam ,check. Plot Twist which is retarded, check. The having to hide your secret from your love interest, check.
    Generic bad guy check. Generic mentor, check. Generic Protagonist, check. Generic love interest, check.
    Jason Bourne wannabe, check.
  12. Feb 1, 2014
    Idea of this movie isn't new. Good guy Jack Ryan (Chris Pine) is super altruist who can sacrifice himself to save life of others people.
    he had unbelievable disease, but was strong enough to win it.
    he had unbelievable disease, but was strong enough to win it.
    it is stereotype, isn't it? that everyone wants work for CIA to make USA better oups, I make mistake, make the world better is more correct. This things and stories about how great is to be a spy or any other top-secret agent fed to the teeth.
    How much stories have your heard in News about Spies who rescued the world or country or etc from terrorists, or bad Russians or other staff ??? I think not once.
    Yep, Russian is so stupid and look like gollums and act like idiots like in 1990s movies.
    So, to the end of this review I would like to say that that movie is idea less and of course if you want to waist your time - that good one, but if you want to watch a good movie with sense just try to find another one.
    By the way, it only your decision see or not to see this movie.
    I wish your - Happy Every Day.
    and don't waist your time.
  13. Jan 22, 2014
    What do I want and expect from a movie like this? I want a movie that mixes intelligence with death, explosions and action. Did I get it? No. Any movie of this genre post-Bourne and post Bond Daniel Craig era has a lot to live up to. You can't expect those heights to be reached by each movie but with such money behind it and a reliable if old franchise that offers plenty to work with thisWhat do I want and expect from a movie like this? I want a movie that mixes intelligence with death, explosions and action. Did I get it? No. Any movie of this genre post-Bourne and post Bond Daniel Craig era has a lot to live up to. You can't expect those heights to be reached by each movie but with such money behind it and a reliable if old franchise that offers plenty to work with this movie should have done better and come closer.

The worst crime of this movie is that it is boring. I don't care that the 'Russian' villain was cartoonish. We all love those. What was bad was the lack of action! Yes it's a thriller but it's an action thriller, correct me if I'm wrong. Explosions? One lousy under water one. The Sum of All Fears didn't prevent the nuclear strike it let it happen and then explored the aftermath! Deaths? Only a few and not memorable. Tension? Hardly. We all know the hero will get the goods and save the day, the success in these films is in making the viewer feel that is in doubt. To do that the film needs to have a few surprises up it sleeve - typically using a supporting cast more. You can't do much with only four characters, you can't kill people off or have people be exposed as not who they are. In fact you can hardly do anything at all with four characters (Pine, Costner, Knightley and Branagh).

So, so dull. A decent starting point of a plot lost by lack of action, lack of thriller development, lack of tensions, no surprises and bizarrely a bare bones cast. This, for lack of brevity, is without starting on Pine being too good looking and not a good enough actor to play Jack. If this is what the return of Russia as the villain's looks like I will keep my Muslim terrorist movies for the time being. DULL.
  14. May 11, 2014
    Usual kick off and subsequent chain of events
    Scenery Gets more interesting when characters drift towards Russian still very uncharted shores but there comes Jack girlfriend on a trip of her own
    I am telling you girlfriends like that do pose serious threat both to US foreign intelligence and Hollywood rate of return She doesn't even look American to be honest, although I know she
    Usual kick off and subsequent chain of events
    She doesn't even look American to be honest, although I know she is
    I would rewrite the script because of her
  15. Feb 7, 2015
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is an inoffensive spy thriller. I use 'thriller' in the lightest sense as the film is very light on actual thrills. Basically speaking, if you've seen any spy movie in the last 20 years then you've already seen Shadow Recruit. But Branagh and Costner do go some distance in livening things up a bit.
  16. Nov 26, 2015
    As average as they get, seen it all a million times already. Full of over the top usual BS and mission impossible wanna be, below average directing and acting to match, just a quick hit and run movie to rake in some cash
  17. Jul 27, 2014
    Decent thriller/action piece. The charisma of the two main characters helps the film hold it together (especially Chris Pine, I´m liking him more and more and discovering more sides of him). Nice plot and nice action. If you are looking for entertainment you won´t be disappointed.
  18. Jun 10, 2014
    Pretty generic by the numbers spy movie. Tons of plot holes and nothing new to speak of. OK for $1.25 at Redbox as something to pass the time. Nothing special here.
  19. Jun 11, 2014
    "You Americans like to think of yourselves as direct. Perhaps you are just rude."

"You Russians like to think you're poets but perhaps you're just touchy." Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit was actually a pretty decent movie and certainly not the worst action movie to come out this year that for sure goes to I, Frankenstein. I really don't understand all the hate for this film i guess maybe

"You Russians like to think you're poets but perhaps you're just touchy."

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit was actually a pretty decent movie and certainly not the worst action movie to come out this year that for sure goes to I, Frankenstein. I really don't understand all the hate for this film i guess maybe since its a Jack Ryan movie people expected more from it but lets be honest here its not like the previous Jack Ryan film (The Sum of All Fears) was all that great either and this one is for sure better than that one. I for one like Chris Pine and thought he did a solid performance in this but i felt that the lacking script held back his performance also once i seen Keira Knightley i thought she was just going to be annoying but surprisingly she wasn't. Kenneth Branagh is known for acting in his own movies and again he does it in this as the villain but sadly he just wasn't that great and the way that he dies was seriously lame.

The movie follows Jack Ryan(Chris Pine) and after the events of 9/11 he enlist into the US Marine corps and is soon fighting in Afghanistan where he is critically injured when his helicopter is shot down by a RPG missle. During rehab Jack grows a relationship with a medical student Cathy Muller(Keira Knightley) and also catches the attention of Thomas Harper(Kevin Costner) a CIA official. Not long after completing rehab Jack is approached by Harper to join the CIA. Now the film picks up ten years later Jack and Cathy are in a serious relationship together and he is working undercover at a Wall Street stock brokerage as a compliance officer. His task is looking for suspicious financial transactions that would indicate terrorist activity. At a United Nations hearing the Russian Federation loses the vote of the Unites States for keeping it the leader in oil exportation in that area which if not would cause the collapse of the Russian economic system.

After noticing things are not right with the market Jack comes across some secret hidden accounts once loaded with trillions of dollars owned by Russian organizations and mostly controlled by Viktor Cherevin(Kenneth Branagh), Jack gets the approval of his boss and heads to Moscow to investigate. Now we have our spy movie and honestly i think the movie would have been better if it had a bit more action in it i mean it started out good but then it slows down for about 45 minutes which in a movie of this genre you just cant have that. Although once the operation starts it doesn't let up with plenty of great action scenes, my favorite being when jack picks up a piece of metal and jumps on a moving cars hood then bashes the driver window opening knocking the driver out, sure it may be unrealistic but that doesn't mean it wasn't cool.

Overall i give it a 6.5 Seeing that this movie was made for only 60 million and its made 135 million total i wouldn't call this movie a box office bomb like some do sure the opening weekend was bad but basically any movie that gets released in January bombs. Also Kevin Costner was way better in this than he was in 3 Days to Kill.
  20. May 22, 2014
    While the action sequences are thrilling, there isn't much of them and despite Chris Pine's usual fine acting, this movie can't help feel like a rerun of better action thrillers.
  21. May 16, 2014
    Honestly, the film feels too short and a bit underwhelming. Personally, I'll welcome any revival/reboot of a long dormant series. But Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit brings nothing new to the table that we haven't seen before, in terms of action and plot. It's a nice hour and 45 minute diversion and somewhat involving, but it takes a while for the supense to pay off. The film's finale isHonestly, the film feels too short and a bit underwhelming. Personally, I'll welcome any revival/reboot of a long dormant series. But Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit brings nothing new to the table that we haven't seen before, in terms of action and plot. It's a nice hour and 45 minute diversion and somewhat involving, but it takes a while for the supense to pay off. The film's finale is somewhat worth the wait, but still could've been better. The film is just too slow, even for me, and the action and plot isn't unique enough to distinguish itself from many other films out there. Cast and acting was fine. I have no complaints with the acting, because the actors did the best they could with what they were given. However, some events are a bit unbelievable: like Jack being able to take down his much larger and likely sronger assassin disguised as his bodyguard, Jack being the only one capable to save the day, and Jack being able to do all he does in the film even though only becoming "operational" a few hours before. Guess he's just lucky. If this film didn't have the Jack Ryan title, it might've been more heavily criticized.

For longtime Jack Ryan fans, this must make you happy. The film updates the "Cold-War hero" with a story of economic terrorism and geo-politics. It is nice: just not two original or "new". I do hope there will be sequels though, because why not? Also, may Jack Ryan's creator, Tom Clancy, rest in peace

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows. I work hard on them, and to me it's more fun than a hobby. :-)
  22. May 26, 2014
    jack ryan is pretty much a averge thriller that can keep you entrained to watch but its nowhere being good .. I kinda felt like it was a dull movie in some parts.
  23. May 24, 2014
    Technically plausible is this movie. Outside of that I kept seeing Captain Kirk as Jack Ryan. His acting was good just couldn't get past that point. Out of everything this movie was, I found surprisingly a rekindled respect for Kevin Costner which had me quite perplexed...and lead me to now watch 3 Days to Kill, so we'll see...but hey, it's leading me to rent his movie so gotta give upTechnically plausible is this movie. Outside of that I kept seeing Captain Kirk as Jack Ryan. His acting was good just couldn't get past that point. Out of everything this movie was, I found surprisingly a rekindled respect for Kevin Costner which had me quite perplexed...and lead me to now watch 3 Days to Kill, so we'll see...but hey, it's leading me to rent his movie so gotta give up respect for Costner. Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2014
    There was some scenes I felt it was too long of the movie. I kept looking at the clock and guess what? Exactly. Sound Mixing was Terrific. Even the Chopper explosion was really loud because it was 7.1 DTS- HD Master Audio Soundtrack. Paramount is really good at Sound mixing DTS-HD. Actors. Most I did not know them. The only actor I knew was Chris Pine. He was OK at this movie, just not his best.
  25. Jun 18, 2014
    Jack Ryan starts off quite action packed, but quickly slows down as the story unfolds. Which in this case is not the greatest story ever told, yet another cold war type thriller set in modern times.

The film is quite fast paced once it gets going and will keep you interest for a little while. But I doubt you will be to bothered if you get interrupted whilst watching. Sadly the main

Sadly the main character is slightly disjointed for me (no pun intended!), going from a standard GI to special agent/tax man with barely any skills overnight. Getting himself into trouble around every corner, he goes from bland tax man to super hero in a matter of days.

There are much better films of this genre out there, stick to them and leave this one in the shadows.
  26. Nov 10, 2014
  27. Oct 12, 2014
    A pretty usual spy movie about a damaged soldier,Jack Ryan,becoming a spy and taking this usual spy movie mission.In the end,being only a usual movie and nothing else,Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is...okay.
  28. Nov 2, 2014
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a prototypical reboot of an old franchise bringing nothing new to the table with repetitive and cliched action that lacks in comparison to other current spy films mixed with fairly outdated political and social commentary. The characters are not developed enough for the audience to really empathize with them and the highlight of this film is Branagh's abilityJack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a prototypical reboot of an old franchise bringing nothing new to the table with repetitive and cliched action that lacks in comparison to other current spy films mixed with fairly outdated political and social commentary. The characters are not developed enough for the audience to really empathize with them and the highlight of this film is Branagh's ability to keep such a safe, cliched script somewhat entertaining. Watch if you enjoy stereotypical spy thrillers. Expand
  29. Nov 13, 2014
    "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

"Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: When they finally decide to get around to it, it's a solid little action/thriller. The trio of Chris Pine, Kevin Costner, and Kenneth Branagh turned in excellent performances and carried the film. Branagh was especially menacing as the film's chief antagonist and his interactions with Pine's Jack Ryan were the best parts of the movie.

The Bad: Pretty straight-forward film that we've pretty much seen a hundred times before. Takes way too long to get to the meat of the film and plods it's way through the first 1:15 before finally deciding to give us something remotely riveting. There was nothing wrong with Knightley's performance per se, but her character was under-developed and her relationship with Jack Ryan was the weakest aspect of the story. Lastly, while the film has "Jack Ryan" in the title and he is indeed the main character by name ... he never fully feels like the character that we know from previous films. His name could have been Chase McScooter and it would have had the same effect. Honestly, any character could have been dropped into the story and had the same result.
  30. Nov 27, 2014
    This movie was just OK. Nothing new came out of Jack Ryan that hadn't been done by any James Bond or Mission Impossible film. Shadow Recruit features a good cast, some entertaining action scenes but is bogged down by a boring and uninteresting plot and a weak villain.
  31. Dec 28, 2014
    This was the best movie that January had to offer this year. It has some decently exciting stuff that, while not groundbreaking at all, will tide people over for about a day or two.

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jan 22, 2014
    Branagh might as well have opened a can and dumped it on a plate, the ridges of a factory-line production still perfectly hatched on a gelatinous cylinder of crud.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jan 21, 2014
    A solid outing for a re-Bourne hero that could, with a few key tweaks, generate another round of vehicles for the Clancy cash cow.
  3. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Jan 20, 2014
    In stripping Jack Ryan back to basics it’s lost some sophistication, but reinvigorated an action hero who’s unlike any other on offer and who absolutely earns his second — or rather fourth — shot.