Universal Pictures | Release Date: June 20, 1975
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 401 Ratings
Watch Now
beingryanjudeAug 29, 2014
A suspenseful and masterful look at one of the sea's greatest and most terrifying nightmares. Spielberg's classic is thrilling, but the elements away from shark are weak.
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
Was not exactly the gold that many describe this film as. A bit of a slow plot line needing just a tad more of character development that may have improved the film drastically.
EssenceOfSugarJul 17, 2012
Besides being a benchmark in the history of film, it has terrified many people into not going into the water. I'm not particularly sure if this film should be top, because I sooner or later realised that it wasn't that scary. This is probablyBesides being a benchmark in the history of film, it has terrified many people into not going into the water. I'm not particularly sure if this film should be top, because I sooner or later realised that it wasn't that scary. This is probably the fact that I'm getting much older now, but films like these are supposed to scare people and to me it just felt a little childish. I did love the effect of suspense because we didn't get to properly see the shark, but I don't think it affected me in the way it did with other people. I think it also skipped a chunk too, we saw how it hunted then it speedily flipped over to becoming the hunted. For all ages, but mostly perhaps for the younger ones especially. Expand
googolendtimesDec 31, 2014
"Jaws" is a mixed bag. Spielberg's direction is excellent and shows the immense talent he would later put to use in iconic blockbuster and genre opuses that would define a new generation of filmmaking. But he is let down, and the skilled cast"Jaws" is a mixed bag. Spielberg's direction is excellent and shows the immense talent he would later put to use in iconic blockbuster and genre opuses that would define a new generation of filmmaking. But he is let down, and the skilled cast (Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw in particular) are let down by a poorly paced, unnecessarily protracted, repetitive story which is extended not to the effect of building suspense but dismantling it and diluting all that its effective about the film - its directing, its acting, its photography, its visual style, its score. There is promise and there are parts of the film which are great, which made me sit up and take notice. The final quarter of the film is bloodcurdling and unforgettable. There is no denying the lasting cultural impact of "Jaws". It's a film beloved by many. But not by me, as much as I wanted to embrace it. It felt like a chore to watch in the end. Expand
AkashVijayJan 19, 2015
Jaws works, in the sense, that it's able to generate fear and constantly keep the audience at the edge of their seats. But once its done and you can relax, you realise there wasn't too much substance to it.