Jaws

8.7

1. Mar 31, 2011
    Jaws is simply one of the greatest motion pictures of all time. Based on the best-selling novel by Peter Benchley, the film opened to audiences around the world and apart from receiving critical acclaim, grossed hundreds of millions thanks to word of mouth and clever advertising. Three mediocre sequels followed in 1978, 1983 and 1987 but the original from 1975 is THE definitive suspenseJaws is simply one of the greatest motion pictures of all time. Based on the best-selling novel by Peter Benchley, the film opened to audiences around the world and apart from receiving critical acclaim, grossed hundreds of millions thanks to word of mouth and clever advertising. Three mediocre sequels followed in 1978, 1983 and 1987 but the original from 1975 is THE definitive suspense film. The plot concerns a small New England holiday resort that is being terrorized by a killer great white shark. The corrupt mayor of the town wishes to regard the numerous shark attacks as boating accidents. However, as the bodies mount it becomes clear to police chief Martin Brody that the problem can no longer be ignored. So, with the help of oceanographer Matt Hooper and crusty old fisherman Quint, Brody heads out to sea on a small boat in order to catch and kill the shark once and for all. Once they get on open sea, the film suddenly becomes a straight out action-adventure film, which is a genius move by both Spielberg and the producers, because in the first half of the film, the tension is slowly built up notch by notch so that when the viewer wants the shark dead too, then the characters decide to do the same and the way it gradually makes the transition is brilliant. Also, one cannot review the film without mentioning the iconic musical score by composer John Williams, a frequent choice in nearly all Spielberg's films. The music represents the mindless attack of the shark and it also is accompanied by some traditional swashbuckler music in the less suspenseful moments. The film's other big claim to fame is the fact that it had one of the most troublesome shoots in film history. The three mechanical sharks constructed for the film rarely worked, and when they did it was only for a short while. The reason for having three sharks was so that the filmmakers could exercise their control over the shark. The cast is superb also, with Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss all giving their signature performances. However, the star of the show, as all learned movie buffs know, is really the shark. The film was released on June 20th of 1975 and quickly became the most popular film of all time at that time. It set the record for summer blockbusters since, grossing over 400 million dollars and shooting Spielberg to international fame. Overall, a classic chiller that belongs in every DVD collection. (10/10) Expand
  2. Alex
    Jan 20, 2009
    What some of the other reviewers don't understand is that this movie was made in the 1970's and that the sfx was state of the art! Still a classic and anyone who says otherwise obviously doesn't know a good movie when they see it.
  3. LaurenS
    Jan 20, 2009
    Spielberg has made the first summer block buster, and Jaws is one of my all time favorite movies, as next to it, a dream works SKG developed, and Richard D. Zanuck (producer of jaws) my other favorite movie next to "Bruce" is Sweeney Todd. Love it! Superb!
  4. Nick
    Nov 20, 2005
    Even though some of the attacks are phoney, the way they killed Jaws was fricken awesome. Great acting, plot, and a classic overall.
  5. AdityaM.
    Jul 2, 2009
    This definitely a very good movie. Steven Spielberg has delivered a great Educational masterpiece about how to begin the Story and move it to the Climax.
  6. MarkF.
    Jun 18, 2004
    OK, I'll bite. No matter what you think, and I've heard lots of negative comments over the years, this is one of the two best films EVER made. People say the effects are fake, the characters and acting aren't up to par, there's no psychology. To that I say rubbish. First off, the acting is tremendous right down the line. For example the scene where the grieving mom OK, I'll bite. No matter what you think, and I've heard lots of negative comments over the years, this is one of the two best films EVER made. People say the effects are fake, the characters and acting aren't up to par, there's no psychology. To that I say rubbish. First off, the acting is tremendous right down the line. For example the scene where the grieving mom approaches Chief Brody on the dock is incredible, and that's followed by the wonderful scene around Brody's dinner table. The entire film is a perfectly-constructed series of scenes, often using a highly-sophisticated movie shorthand in its storytelling. One other thing is that JAWS is consistently funny, always in a very human way. I guess somebody saw the title or read Benchley's potboiler and decided that it wasn't going to be a deep movie. BS. Well, as good as JAWS is in its first half, it really takes off when the three men get into Quint's boat, the Orca, to hunt the shark. The comedy and suspense get ratcheted up higher than before, and the editing, photography and music reach new heights. Oh well, that's enough. There's plenty more to say, but I don't know if anyone's even going to read this. Expand
  7. SteveP
    Dec 12, 2005
    OK i know it's a cult movie, and i am a member of it's cult. But even if you Hate Cult Movies, you'll love this. The acting was Great, the setting was really belivible, the music was some of the best i have ever herd in a film and really got you in the mood of the film. And it really did scare me and kept me on the edge of my set. Even after seeing it 100 times there are OK i know it's a cult movie, and i am a member of it's cult. But even if you Hate Cult Movies, you'll love this. The acting was Great, the setting was really belivible, the music was some of the best i have ever herd in a film and really got you in the mood of the film. And it really did scare me and kept me on the edge of my set. Even after seeing it 100 times there are parts that will still get you. The acting was acctualy really good, I loved Richard Dryfuss as Matt Hooper. I am now reading the book to and it's even more exciting. Truely the greates 70s Disaster movies, no greates Disaster movie Period. Expand
  8. NickE.
    Jun 23, 2006
    I love this movie so much!! This is my favorite movie of all time . I may have been born 16 years after it came out, meaning I didn't get to see it when it was first in theaters, but I saw it on TV when I was 7 or 8, and it really scared me, but also inspired me to go into the film industry someday (you should remember my name!). I have seen this movie at least 100 times (yes I wrote I love this movie so much!! This is my favorite movie of all time . I may have been born 16 years after it came out, meaning I didn't get to see it when it was first in theaters, but I saw it on TV when I was 7 or 8, and it really scared me, but also inspired me to go into the film industry someday (you should remember my name!). I have seen this movie at least 100 times (yes I wrote that correctly) and some parts still scare me! Easily my favorite Spielberg movie! Expand
  9. ChrisK.
    May 5, 2009
    Prolly really awesome 30 years ago.
  10. GavinC
    Aug 10, 2009
    Loads of scares, blood, and the use of not showing the shark for most of the movie make this film the best shark-horror films.
  11. Tim
    Jul 15, 2006
    I don't have a favorite singer, I don't have a favourite song, but I do have a favorite movie, and this is it! What makes this one the best? Allow me to explain. One brilliant acting performance in a movie is good to see. Two brilliant acting performances in a movie is great to see. But three brilliant acting performances... There's a word for a movie like that. Jaws!
  12. Riren
    Jan 29, 2007
    The Godfather rises above crime movies, Rocky rises above sports movies, Seven Samurai rises above samurai movies, and Jaws rises above horror movies. This is one of those rare films that defies, and in turn, defines its own genre, and effects everything in its medium. There are the movies made before Jaws, and the movies made after Jaws. It is not about high concept or high budget; it is The Godfather rises above crime movies, Rocky rises above sports movies, Seven Samurai rises above samurai movies, and Jaws rises above horror movies. This is one of those rare films that defies, and in turn, defines its own genre, and effects everything in its medium. There are the movies made before Jaws, and the movies made after Jaws. It is not about high concept or high budget; it is about what can be accomplished in film. It sports one of the greatest soundtracks of all time and truly inspired cinematography. It exemplifies what minimalism is supposed to do in Horror by hiding its monster and only drawing it out in measured doses. Similarly, the drama is measured and counterweighed with humor, humility and intertwining plot threads like moviemakers can't even do anymore. Complaints about the acting or characters are absurd; several of these stars turn in the performances of their lives. It will leave you with feelings like few horror films can, because it truly rises above. Really, what other movie can earn such a ridiculous ending? Expand
  13. PatrickW.
    Aug 24, 2007
    Shaw and Dreyfuss in excellent form...many many memorable lines from Shaw, "What are ya, some kinda half assed astronaut?"...They just don't make films like this anymore folks...Spielberg's greatest work in my opinion.
  14. fabio
    Nov 29, 2004
    One of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
  15. Aug 29, 2014
    A suspenseful and masterful look at one of the sea's greatest and most terrifying nightmares. Spielberg's classic is thrilling, but the elements away from shark are weak.
  16. Apr 13, 2012
    Jaws made me so scared I didn't even want to go to the toilet in case the great white came up and ate me!! I think this film deserves more than 1 billion Oscars, no lie!
  17. Jun 7, 2012
    This is the best horror movie of all time without a doubt. With an original plot, the best special effects of the time, and the ocean's strongest predator, you will want to see this movie no matter what. Everything about this movie will keep you interested, and you will not want to turn it off until it is done/
  18. Jul 12, 2012
    Jaws was the first horror flick I ever saw, and to this day it remains the most effective. Like so many others, I was afraid to go in the water after seeing this film. Tight direction from Steven Spielberg as well as a fairly realistic looking shark (come on, it was 1975!) make this one of the greatest films of all time.
  19. Aug 4, 2012
    Let's keep this simple, this is the single finest motion picture of all time. Great direction, perfect script, wonderful cast and performances to die for. Has never been, and perhaps never will be bettered.
  20. Aug 17, 2012
    Its JAWS !!! does it need a review ? ignor the negative reviews ...they are just trolling and enjoy writting negative reviews. If some how this has passed you buy ( i guess thats possible if your 20 or under ) watch it now !!! put down whatever or whoever your doing and watch it !!...it was made in 1975 remember ....now go !! my score of 10 is incorrect as it will not let me score higherIts JAWS !!! does it need a review ? ignor the negative reviews ...they are just trolling and enjoy writting negative reviews. If some how this has passed you buy ( i guess thats possible if your 20 or under ) watch it now !!! put down whatever or whoever your doing and watch it !!...it was made in 1975 remember ....now go !! my score of 10 is incorrect as it will not let me score higher , one of the greatest movies there will ever be. Expand
  21. Sep 15, 2014
    I just saw this movie for this first time today and was surprisingly very pleased I don't like horror films but loved this movie I would put this more along the lines of a thriller there were a few jump scares now that we've got that out of the way i thought that over all this was a very good movie the characters were very likeable and interesting and there was fair development in myI just saw this movie for this first time today and was surprisingly very pleased I don't like horror films but loved this movie I would put this more along the lines of a thriller there were a few jump scares now that we've got that out of the way i thought that over all this was a very good movie the characters were very likeable and interesting and there was fair development in my opinion there wasn't really any point in this movie where I said to myself that I was bored or wanted it to hurry up the music in this movie besides the iconic jaws theme was very good as well which is to be expected from John Williams overall im gonna say dont be like me if you haven't seen jaws go out and buy a copy you can get one at Walmart for like 5 bucks even if you watch it once it'll be a good time trust me Expand
  22. AdamR.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Best movie of all time!!!!!
  23. Oct 23, 2010
    Steven Spielberg is so excellent directing this summer flick from the early 70s.
  24. Mar 4, 2011
    I believe this was the very first Blockbuster. The lines wrapped around the block and coining the name for big moneymaking movies. Very scary but probably better in the theater. You really need the large screen for the full scare impact.
  25. Aug 18, 2012
    Jaws is a masterpiece of tension-building and pacing, and in addition to being one of the first true summer blockbusters (a film phenomenon that it practically wrote the book on), it is easily one of the most entertaining films of all time. Steven Spielberg was still only a young movie maverick with a few modest features to his name, but even at this stage in his career he demonstratesJaws is a masterpiece of tension-building and pacing, and in addition to being one of the first true summer blockbusters (a film phenomenon that it practically wrote the book on), it is easily one of the most entertaining films of all time. Steven Spielberg was still only a young movie maverick with a few modest features to his name, but even at this stage in his career he demonstrates such a grasp of effective film language and good storytelling, and showcases just how much influence a certain Master of Suspense had on his directorial style. Roy Schieder is incredibly likable as chief protagonist Brody, a city cop newly moved to an island town with his family, and there is some great tension and class-based conflict between Richard Dreyfuss's wisecracking hippie marine biologist Hooper and Robert Shaw's condescending salty seadog Quint. The trio play beautifully off of each other, and are all engaging and interesting characters who grow as the film's narrative progresses. The "sinking of the Indianapolis" scene is one of the very best on film - a brilliantly emotion-fuelled character moment that shifts without warning from macho banter as the characters compare scars to the confrontation of a horrifying ghost from Quint's past. This sequence makes for a refreshing change of pace from the rest of the film, and there are few scenes in modern blockbusters that compare in terms of bringing a real sense of humanity to proceedings - we are really allowed to get under the skin of the three men, making us question every one of our preconceptions about them. One of the great blessings of Jaws was, strangely enough, that the huge mechanical shark dubbed "Bruce" by the crew very seldom worked the way it was meant to. Spielberg would have reportedly shown the creature much more if he were able, but it is the fact that we only glimpse the monster for much of the film that makes it so terrifying. That, and the masterful combination of "shark vision" POV shots accompanied by John Williams' chilling and iconic theme music. Jaws may have established much of the modern blockbuster formula, but it is far superior to the vast majority of films of that ilk through near-flawless craftsmanship, infinitely quotable dialogue, great performances and a tense, exciting story that delivers at every turn. It works as a character-driven suspense thriller, as a monster movie and at its most basic level, as pure entertainment. It's not only one of Steven Spielberg's best films, but one of the best films of the 1970s, and is deservedly beloved by audiences. Sadly, summer blockbusters will never be this good ever again. Expand
  26. May 31, 2011
    Simply amazing, a real thriller, one of the greatest movies of all time...

This movie is worth all the buzz , it is fantastic. Excellent production , and a huge hipe
  27. Aug 10, 2011
    JAWS is the true definition of a great thriller. Not so much the subsequent rip-offs it quote-unquote "inspired" (PIRANHA, NIGHTWING). This is truly Spielberg's definitive work.
  28. Dec 11, 2011
    One of Steven Spielberg's best films, and possibly the most revolutionary of them all, "Jaws" is the first blockbuster ever made. It is brilliantly executed and so effective as thriller that has been scaring the audience for decades.
  29. Mar 24, 2013
    Was not exactly the gold that many describe this film as. A bit of a slow plot line needing just a tad more of character development that may have improved the film drastically.
  30. Allison
    Aug 12, 2005
    No matter how many times I see this film it still gives me chills. This is an all time classic to be treasured. One of the best movies ever made.

1. Reviewed by: Charles Champlin
    May 31, 2016
    While I have no doubt that Jaws will make a bloody fortune for Universal and producers Richard Zanuck and David Brown, it is a coarse-grained and exploitive work which depends on excess for its impact. Ashore it is a bore, awkwardly staged and lumpily written.
  2. Newsweek
    Reviewed by: Arthur Cooper
    May 31, 2016
    Jaws is a grisly film, often ugly as sin, which achieves precisely what it set out to accomplish - scare the hell out of you. As such, it's destined to become a classic the way all truly terrifying movies, good or bad, become classics of a kind. [23 June 1975, p.54]
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    May 31, 2016
    This is a suspense classic that leaves teeth-marks.