8.6

1. Mar 28, 2015
    The classic thriller never gets old, handled superbly well in the open waters by Spielberg and carried with charisma by its lead actors. 'Jaws' will never fail to entertain, and still stands as one of the greatest thrillers of all time.
  2. Jan 19, 2015
    Jaws works, in the sense, that it's able to generate fear and constantly keep the audience at the edge of their seats. But once its done and you can relax, you realise there wasn't too much substance to it.
  3. Dec 31, 2014
    "Jaws" is a mixed bag. Spielberg's direction is excellent and shows the immense talent he would later put to use in iconic blockbuster and genre opuses that would define a new generation of filmmaking. But he is let down, and the skilled cast (Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw in particular) are let down by a poorly paced, unnecessarily protracted, repetitive story which is extended not to the"Jaws" is a mixed bag. Spielberg's direction is excellent and shows the immense talent he would later put to use in iconic blockbuster and genre opuses that would define a new generation of filmmaking. But he is let down, and the skilled cast (Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw in particular) are let down by a poorly paced, unnecessarily protracted, repetitive story which is extended not to the effect of building suspense but dismantling it and diluting all that its effective about the film - its directing, its acting, its photography, its visual style, its score. There is promise and there are parts of the film which are great, which made me sit up and take notice. The final quarter of the film is bloodcurdling and unforgettable. There is no denying the lasting cultural impact of "Jaws". It's a film beloved by many. But not by me, as much as I wanted to embrace it. It felt like a chore to watch in the end. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2014
    The film starts well but the plot in the second part of the film loses its suspense and becomes very repetitive. The scenes in boat feel endless . Yes it is iconic but overall story is rather disappointing
  5. Dec 3, 2014
    1 of those golden classics its an amazing movie. Steven Spielberg directs this masterpiece that brought the audience of 1975 to the edge of their seats. Its about a great white shark thats 25ft long it and hangs around a family beach resort and has no intention of leaving but roy scheider,robert shaw and richard dryfuss have another thing in mind
  6. chw
    Sep 24, 2014
    Jaws was a great film. Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss' best film by themselves, and I believe one of Steven Spielberg's best films as well.
  7. Sep 15, 2014
    I just saw this movie for this first time today and was surprisingly very pleased I don't like horror films but loved this movie I would put this more along the lines of a thriller there were a few jump scares now that we've got that out of the way i thought that over all this was a very good movie the characters were very likeable and interesting and there was fair development in myI just saw this movie for this first time today and was surprisingly very pleased I don't like horror films but loved this movie I would put this more along the lines of a thriller there were a few jump scares now that we've got that out of the way i thought that over all this was a very good movie the characters were very likeable and interesting and there was fair development in my opinion there wasn't really any point in this movie where I said to myself that I was bored or wanted it to hurry up the music in this movie besides the iconic jaws theme was very good as well which is to be expected from John Williams overall im gonna say dont be like me if you haven't seen jaws go out and buy a copy you can get one at Walmart for like 5 bucks even if you watch it once it'll be a good time trust me Expand
  8. Sep 9, 2014
    Steven Spielberg should definitely reconsider his career. This movie was an utter bore and they definitely should have put more effort into the shark looking realistic. This movie dissapointed in ways that I have never felt before.
  9. Aug 29, 2014
    A suspenseful and masterful look at one of the sea's greatest and most terrifying nightmares. Spielberg's classic is thrilling, but the elements away from shark are weak.
  10. Aug 1, 2014
    "Jaws" is absolutely a classic summer blockbuster that understands the essence of tension, fear and climax. A utterly nightmare directed by Steven Spielberg (well chosen) and a thrilling 70's movie.
  11. Jul 24, 2014
    The film is still very fresh , looks good on screen. I really like the first half of the film , very suspenseful. However in the second half of the film , everything goes down the hill. It turns into a boredome with endless conversations and repetitive action scenes and also john Williams's iconic score is really good and tense but in the boat scenes the music turns into heroic andThe film is still very fresh , looks good on screen. I really like the first half of the film , very suspenseful. However in the second half of the film , everything goes down the hill. It turns into a boredome with endless conversations and repetitive action scenes and also john Williams's iconic score is really good and tense but in the boat scenes the music turns into heroic and adventurous ( borderline Disney ) that tones down the film and loses its suspense. Expand
  12. Jul 10, 2014
    For its time, I would have likely pissed my pants. After seeing a string of slasher and other horror movies, it only can stun me briefly during the minimal shark scenes. Steven Spielberg's breakout movie is a evenly-paced, smart, and relentless thriller that makes us want to see what happens in the end.
  13. Jun 23, 2014
    In comparison with modern horror-free, idiotic and laughable movies about killer sharks, we gradually pay more and more tribute to Steven Spielberg's original Jaws as a classic horror cult that successfully rose beyond mediocre plotting and storytelling in spite of somewhat umimpressive visual effects as regards to presence.
  14. May 22, 2014
    Jaws was a very difficult movie to make. The shark kept falling apart, the cast almost drowned when one the boats began to sink, and the crew were always seasick! Thankfully Spielberg made the brilliant decision to shoot the shark from underwater and used music to warn us when it was coming.
  15. Mar 20, 2014
    One of the greatest films of all time and Spielberg's best movie. some people will bring it down because its old and not as scary as todays thrillers but that wont change my mind or the fact that its a classic.
  16. Mar 13, 2014
    jaws is like a a best movie of all time . when i was little i watch jaws millions of time not once did it get old it is one of the greatest films i seen all day
  17. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jaws is a kids film. Its is a overrated not scary laugh fest. To start a shark threatens the civilians of ammity island. Thats about as deep as the film ever gets in the story. The main character is a simple minded boring and scared man who spends too much time worrying about a shark that should not really be so close to the beach. Ellen Brody is such a bad actress and overall should not be in the film. She has no purpose other than to annoy the hell out of the audience. I swear the kids are better at acting than she is. The plot is simpler than buttered toast in a picture frame on the cover of Portal 2. Its hardly worth building any reason whether any of the characters will survive because I just don't care about any of them. About two thirds of way through the film I was on the edge of my seat debating whether the stupid shark would survive. Overall Jaws is a simple and boring kids film. Expand
  18. Mar 2, 2014
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, werk it! This movie was amazing. This used to scary the **** out of me when I was a little girl.
  19. Feb 1, 2014
    Even when Spielberg is making an adrenaline-rushing film instead of ones about topics that are universally considered serious, he does it in his own style. Jaws is filled with close calls, gruesome deaths and general bloodshed, yet the build-up is everything. He makes us wait for the shark, and only shows us bits of its work to whet our appetite. But just when you think you've seen it all,Even when Spielberg is making an adrenaline-rushing film instead of ones about topics that are universally considered serious, he does it in his own style. Jaws is filled with close calls, gruesome deaths and general bloodshed, yet the build-up is everything. He makes us wait for the shark, and only shows us bits of its work to whet our appetite. But just when you think you've seen it all, he shows his hand. The shark is truly a force of nature. Hideous, scary, deadly.

A suspected shark kill is dismissed as a boating accident. The Mayor, having the city's best interests at heart, persuades the chief of police, Brody, to keep the beaches open for tourists. He reasons that this is their main source of income and they should not endanger that by scaring away the tourists. Even after another death, the townspeople are still adamant in keeping the beaches open. Their livelihood is attached to the sea. The mayor is a delusional man who thinks if he ignores the problem long enough, it will go away on its own. This precipitates in a lot of trouble. The shark's presence is only hinted at for the first hour, in a classic whodunit style. But when it finally arrives on camera, it is overwhelmingly cringing to see it do what it does live.

A seasoned seaman offers to catch the fish for a price. The minute all illusion flies about the cause of the deaths, a bounty goes up which brings inexperienced seafarers into the fray to claim the prize. They think of it as a sport. Someone catches a shark and everyone thinks this is the one that made the kills. The third main character, Hooper, wants to be sure and advises on cutting open the belly and investigating the items within. When things get way out of control, the mayor relents and agrees to hire Quint to kill the shark. He is accompanied by Brody and Hooper on this voyage, which takes up most of the second half of the film. The three men lure and assault and do everything they can to kill it. This endeavour makes up for plenty of scares and surprises.

Brody is an outsider. We can see his confusion and helplessness as it slowly dawns upon him the enormity of the task that falls on his shoulders. He does his best to convince everyone to do the sane thing, but runs into a wall every time he tries to close the beaches. Hooper is a college boy with a fancy degree. He is Brody's only support for a long time. For some reason he decides to stick around and help out the chief, probably because he has seen how the rest are taking the issue. Quint is the tough guy with a mysterious past. He's the most experienced in the field of fishing. But he names a price the city has to come up with to catch the monster and remove the taint from the island's reputation, so the tourists continue to pour in and keep the economy flourishing.

Spielberg doesn't shy from depicting barbarity. The deaths shown are disturbing and bloody, none more than the last one. But where he differs from the typical gory movies is how he handles characterization. We see these people as real men and not archetype characters in service of the story. Spielberg knows the importance of this and that is why he dedicates the majority of the first hour in establishing two of the main characters, and using a portion of the second to develop the third.

The score was riveting and foreboding. It established the mood fairly well yet was quiet and unobtrusive. The mechanical shark was very convincing. I went to research it immediately after I finished watching because I was sure they used a real shark. They only included real sharks in scenes where it was just minding its own business and just swimming about.

The film never drags for a second. The first half is a set up but has its own scares and special moments involving the animal and the characters. The second half stole the show and completely transformed the movie. We follow only three characters after the mid point. The characterization was fun and felt genuine. Quint shone out especially in one memorable monologue.

Spielberg has demonstrated how a summer blockbuster aiming for big bucks should be made. By merging scares and thrills with absorbing characters and narrative, he started a trend which has since been followed every summer after the year the film came out in.
  20. Nov 6, 2013
    A incredibly great movie, no doubt. Realistic graphics and a good soundtrack makes this movie even better. The plot is a good plot, that's for sure! Great adaption of the book...and did you know that my 12 year old brother wanted me to watch it with him? That's how I came to watch this fantastic movie.
  21. Sep 16, 2013
    Who can resist the jaws of... well, Jaws! It gets on such a high level of realism and believability that some aren't able to swim at beaches for weeks after seeing it. It's just that good. It is one for the ages, and will be remembered for a very, very long time, especially with Roy Schneider's great one-liners.
  22. Jul 15, 2013
    This is the BEST horror/suspense film I have ever seen. The build up is so intense and the confrontations are the most intense. Steven Spielberg really delivers here and proved that he really has what it takes to be fresh and original and give the audience what they need to see. This film is a classic and nails everything perfectly with its cast, direction, music and script. A perfectThis is the BEST horror/suspense film I have ever seen. The build up is so intense and the confrontations are the most intense. Steven Spielberg really delivers here and proved that he really has what it takes to be fresh and original and give the audience what they need to see. This film is a classic and nails everything perfectly with its cast, direction, music and script. A perfect classic film. Expand
  23. Jul 7, 2013
    As gripping and intense as the no. 1 book, as soon as you see the poster you know it'll be outstandingly directed, with a perfect cast to go along, for this'll your gonna need a bigger tele.
  24. Jun 25, 2013
    The first film in America to make over 100 million US Dollars, Spielberg's Jaws to this day continues to be one of the most entertaining, Summer, Horror and Gripping movies ever made.

What was harrased at the studio as "That Fish Movie" and production had begun without the Shark, "Jaws" was a movie that used those problems to it's advantage by taking what is John Williams most iconic piece of music and toyed with the audience's security to such perfection, rarely such a thing has been mimmicked.

"Oh the music's starting, the sharks gonna appear, THERE IT IS!!!", "Oh it's starting again, wait where's the shark?"...

Some of the many reactions you'd get from the audience, Jaws literally made me terrified of deep water when i was 6, growing up i've got over that fear and just enjoyed how laidback and cool Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss are taking on such a demading mission.

Seeing the Shark again to which so many people will dismiss as fake (Duh, It Is!) still looks impressive to this day, it kicks the arse of those CGI Sharks from that dogsh*t "Deep Blue Sea" and to be honest i don't think there has been a shark as impressive in movies since the first "Jaws".

Next to all that, some of spielberg's camera set-up's are just brilliant, uncomfortable close ups, point of view shots from the shark looking down at the floor of the Ocean, Really this film has ingenuity written all over it.

Final Verdict: The Story that scared a little town ended up scaring an Entire Nation!, This is the Template of how Blockbusters should be made.
  25. May 25, 2013
    When a swimmer is killed by a great white shark, Sheriff Brody proposes that the beaches be shut down to prevent further attacks. Unfortunately the authorities aren't so keen to keep people out of the water with the summer tourist season in full swing...

It has been said many times before but even when viewing the film nearly fourty years after its release it remains a masterpiece. Partly due to the fact that special effects weren't up to scratch at the time Spielberg wisely decided to limit the screen time of the shark itself instead using John William's memorably haunting score to ramp up the suspense. The pacing of the movie is perfect as the tension gradually rises throughout the film until it reaches its thrilling climax.

This is movie making at its very best.
  26. Apr 16, 2013
    Pretty creepy movie, I mean really creepy! Made me scared of oceans and deep waters. I liked the shark animations (one was kind of cheesy) but that is all! everything else was good. 9 out of 10!
  27. Apr 11, 2013
    Jaws is fantastic! it's a classic triller that knows how to build up to an awesome climax. You get invested in the main characters and they acted their parts very well. Jaws isn't as scary as the "horror" we know today but you have to keep in mind the time frame this movie was made in. The special effects are in that same boat, they were amazing for a movie released in the 70's! I reallyJaws is fantastic! it's a classic triller that knows how to build up to an awesome climax. You get invested in the main characters and they acted their parts very well. Jaws isn't as scary as the "horror" we know today but you have to keep in mind the time frame this movie was made in. The special effects are in that same boat, they were amazing for a movie released in the 70's! I really love how you don't see the shark for a large portion of the movie. This is an amazing movie with great lines and a good plot. I highly recommend Jaws. Expand
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    Was not exactly the gold that many describe this film as. A bit of a slow plot line needing just a tad more of character development that may have improved the film drastically.
  29. Jan 23, 2013
    Jaws is one of Spielberg best movie of all time! He makes all these other movies smally noticed. A real shark movie and a memorable ending, better than the prequels.
  30. Dec 19, 2012
    This movie is incredible. Unbelievable. Fantastic. It is the very first movie to be considered a blockbuster, and I'm telling you now , this movie is a CLASSIC. It's not a great story line, but with superb acting, script, direction and everything else- it has earned a special place in my heart and mind. I saw it when i was 6 by accident, and it is one of my all time favorite movies. ForThis movie is incredible. Unbelievable. Fantastic. It is the very first movie to be considered a blockbuster, and I'm telling you now , this movie is a CLASSIC. It's not a great story line, but with superb acting, script, direction and everything else- it has earned a special place in my heart and mind. I saw it when i was 6 by accident, and it is one of my all time favorite movies. For those who do not like this movie, you simply don't know a great, amazing movie when you see it. A++ One of the finest films ever made. Expand

What this movie is about, and where it succeeds best, is the primordial level of fear. The characters, for the most part, and the non-fish elements in the story, are comparatively weak and not believable. [20 June 1975]
    Steven Spielberg's mechanical thriller is guaranteed to make you scream on schedule (John Williams's score even has the audience reactions programmed into the melodies), particularly if your tolerance for weak motivation and other minor inconsistencies is high.
    One of the most effective thrillers ever made.