JCVD

8.3

1. Jun 6, 2015
    Surprisingly good movie. The film is truly original while being very entertaining all the way through. It's also very funny. Jean-Claude at his best !!
  2. Jun 12, 2014
    A fun and funny meta-satire of Jean-Claude Van Dam, which switches views between JCVD's custody battle over daughter in the U.S, and his inadvertently walking in on a bank robbery in his native Belgium. There. he is used in the botched robbery as a means of distracting and confusing the police while the real real bank robbers try to find a way to escape.

Little comic touches are

Little comic touches are peppered throughout, like using his knowledge from filming "Hard Target" to dispense medical advice, finding out that Steven Segal has been given a role meant for Jean-Claude, a bank TV playing one of JCVD's most **** insane interviews ever (1+1=2, it should be 1+1-11), and one of the robbers being starstruck at holding "The Muscles from Brussels" as a hostage.

This movie may make you reconsider Jean-Claude's acting chops.
  3. Dec 7, 2013
    Bottom line: if you are that middle-of-the-road movie lover who loves art-house fare AND old-school 80′s testosterone flicks, definitely check out JCVD. I guarantee you’ll come away familiar with a Jean-Claude Van Damme you never even knew existed.
  4. Oct 6, 2013
    Interesting meta-film with a commanding and raw performance by Van Damme. It's conceit works out surprisingly well and the central performance is quite a thing to behold.
  5. Dec 22, 2012
    It's Jean Claude at his absolute best acting wise. His monologue near the end of the movie was so touching and so powerful, I loved it. It was a pretty good movie.
  6. Aug 6, 2012
    Who said Jean Claude Van Damme can't act? This movie is really good. It really shows all the prejudice people have against Van Damme after all his bad action movies in the past. He wants to put all that behind himself and move on. And this movie really shows how great he really is.
  7. Jul 17, 2012
    JCVD is not just a bizarre film chronicling Jean Claude Van Damme's fall from celebrity and to a certain extent, grace, but it is a film that cleverly mounts the boundary between tense thriller (something Van Damme is familiar with) and satirical comedy. The film follows Van Damme as he travels to Belgium to visit his parents following a nasty custody battle regarding his daughter. OneJCVD is not just a bizarre film chronicling Jean Claude Van Damme's fall from celebrity and to a certain extent, grace, but it is a film that cleverly mounts the boundary between tense thriller (something Van Damme is familiar with) and satirical comedy. The film follows Van Damme as he travels to Belgium to visit his parents following a nasty custody battle regarding his daughter. One morning he decides to transfer some money at the local post office unaware that the place is being robbed by three menacing but inept robbers. The film is both knowledgeable of Van Damme's career and reputation but also his ability as an actor. The film is surprising in the fact that it is utterly ludicrous but it is grounded by a powerful central performance by JCVD (That is something I never thought I would write). The film manages to balance the need for thrills and the need for comedy while also injecting some deep emotion into the movie. The film, due to the subject matter, is inherently dark but it is populated by characters who are good even if they do bad things. This provides an interesting view of morality in the film. Finally the films end allows for both the stereotypical Van Damme take down but also the ending that is grounded in reality, the one where things aren't perfect and Van Damme is still a thing of the past. I for one have found a kind of respect for the Muscles from Brussels through his powerful performance of a man extremely broken but constantly trying to do the right thing, even if at times he doesn't quite know what that entails. Expand
  8. Feb 21, 2012
    The film opens with an aging, depressed, desperately-broke Jean Claude Van Damme dealing with the disappointment and drudgery of his disappointing life, when suddenly he's stuck in the middle of a hostage situation. The whimsical, self-depreciating, semi-autobiographical writing is a welcome change to Van Damme's catalogue, which had for so long suffered due to him taking his (mostly)The film opens with an aging, depressed, desperately-broke Jean Claude Van Damme dealing with the disappointment and drudgery of his disappointing life, when suddenly he's stuck in the middle of a hostage situation. The whimsical, self-depreciating, semi-autobiographical writing is a welcome change to Van Damme's catalogue, which had for so long suffered due to him taking his (mostly) crappy movies so seriously. I love the "imaginary" moments where he jaw-jacks the bad guys and saves the day, only to cut back to the stark reality of him being just another helpless hostage. Unfortunately, the pacing is tortoise-speed and it proved lethal to my interest in the film as the minutes ticked by. Also, during Van Damme's long monologues, given directly to the audience, he speaks French(?) and is dubbed over by a different voice actor. This phenomenon is unexplained in the film and is grating. Mildly recommended. Expand
  9. FrisseP.
    Oct 16, 2009
    A surprise and a very good one. Stallone did Copland Roarke did The Wrestler and Van Damme dis JCVD.
  10. DaveR
    Jul 6, 2009
    Surprisingly honest, JCVD proves he can act too! - very enjoyable.
  11. ColinC
    Jun 22, 2009
    Probably is his best movie and hence I gave a full 2.. DULL DULL DULL! Cannot believe folks think it is a 9 or 10.. Maybe I watched a different movie ?
  12. SteveC
    May 29, 2009
    This movie is deeply flawed, mostly by way of poor editing. But overall, I enjoyed it. It's different, unpredictable, and takes risks.
  13. ChrisB
    May 27, 2009
    Probably his best movie ever, hopefully the start of a new phase in his career.
  14. KP
    May 6, 2009
    Hands down the best movie Van Damme will ever be a part of. The sincerity and honesty behind it was very refreshing.
  15. jethroa
    May 6, 2009
    Funny as hell! Classic!
  16. albertj
    May 5, 2009
    Another good JCVD movie. Anyone who thinks he's "Just" a martial arts actor doesn't know what there missing!
  17. JG
    Feb 2, 2009
    A very refreshing action movie, with a heartbreaking performance by Van Damme itself. The monologue's great!
  18. KatherineL
    Jan 27, 2009
    I watched this movie at a screening at my school and was really impressed by it. It was an interesting way to tell a story and is unlike anything I've seen Jean Claude Van Damme do. The main story is fictional, but Jean Claude basically plays himself. Very well made film. Excellent acting. I would recommend this to just about anyone.
  19. AdrieH
    Jan 21, 2009
    JCVD sheds much needed light on the humanity of Jean-claude. His performance was amazing-- easily up there with the years best.
  20. JackM
    Jan 14, 2009
    Wicked smart.
  21. JonathanK
    Jan 14, 2009
    I was extremely surprised by how good this was. I was expecting something like a mockumentary, but it's more of a dramatic heist movie. Jean-Claude knocks it out of the park, I highly recommend catching this in the theater if it's in your area.
  22. DennisD
    Dec 6, 2008
    Wow! He almost had me in tears at one point. I was so incredibly blown away by his performance in this movie that I went to see it twice. I've been a huge JCVD fan for as long as I can remember. I knew he could act ever since I saw him in Wake of Death. Now he finally had his chance to prove it to the world. I'm glad that JC is finally getting the respect he deserves.
  23. MarcoM.
    Nov 20, 2008
    I grew up watching JCVD in movies like, "Blood Sport,
  24. Jizzle
    Nov 7, 2008
    Histerical and moving. It forces audiences to take Van Damme seriously for the first time in his storied career. Gotta give the guy major props for being gutsy and putting himself out there and telling it like it is. Nobody is perfect and JCVD's uplifting story asks the audience to consider that through all the fame and fortune, all movie stars are human, just like us.
  25. Ursula
    Nov 7, 2008
    Happy to see that this rare treat is released in the US! I saw it here in Germany at the Fantasy Filmfest and enjoyed it enormously! Jean-Claude Van Damme plays himself with so much self-mockery, I would have never expected that from him! Normally, German audiences are very rarely applauding during a movie, but here the audience erupted into applause and laughter a bunch of times. Go see Happy to see that this rare treat is released in the US! I saw it here in Germany at the Fantasy Filmfest and enjoyed it enormously! Jean-Claude Van Damme plays himself with so much self-mockery, I would have never expected that from him! Normally, German audiences are very rarely applauding during a movie, but here the audience erupted into applause and laughter a bunch of times. Go see it if you still remember who JCVD is! ;-) Expand
  26. ZiggyZ
    Wow. Failed horribly.

1. At one point, Van Damme delivers a long, tortured soliloquy about his alienating stardom to the camera in a single take. It's the most amazing piece of acting I've ever seen by a martial artist. But the film itself doesn't rise above the level of a good try.
  2. Reviewed by: Bernard Besserglik
    JCVD should entertain both movie and action buffs. Van Damme proves once and for all that he's not just a set of glistening pectorals. However, he's still in no danger of being asked to play Hamlet.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Nelson
    A French-language meta-movie parody par excellence, constitutes the headiest stretch of the beefy star's career since, well, ever.