Jerichow

tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 1 more rating

1. JimF
    May 28, 2009
    A well-made, tightly directed German reworking of "The Postman Always Rings Twice", "Jerichow" is as cold-blooded and ironic as "Blood Simple", without being in the least bit funny.
  2. Sep 4, 2015
    I'm writing this in 2015 and this is my first Petzold film. Many critics have mentioned The Postman Always Rings Twice. It's no exaggeration to call Jerichow a remake. I recently saw Fassbinder's The Merchant of Four Seasons, and there are similarities to it too, (but Merchant is better). It's always interesting to find a good director, though. I know it's a cliché to say a film commandsI'm writing this in 2015 and this is my first Petzold film. Many critics have mentioned The Postman Always Rings Twice. It's no exaggeration to call Jerichow a remake. I recently saw Fassbinder's The Merchant of Four Seasons, and there are similarities to it too, (but Merchant is better). It's always interesting to find a good director, though. I know it's a cliché to say a film commands your attention but it fits here. A new Petzold is in U.S. art houses now and I intend catch up on his films. Expand

1. It's a well-constructed and thoughtfully paced drama and almost a thriller, but in the end credibility and tension get lost in the mail.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    A tightly constructed "dramatic thriller" in which the tension comes as much from what the characters are thinking as from what they end up doing, Jerichow again confirms writer-helmer Christian Petzold ("Yella," "The State I Am In") as a world-class talent who remains underappreciated beyond Germany.
  3. Jerichow forgoes the prolonged double-crosses of "The Postman Always Rings Twice," its simpler ending made all the more powerful--and a little heartbreaking.