JFK

8.5
Universal acclaim based on 56 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Oliver Stone delivers the epic tale of Louisiana D.A. Jim Garrison and his crusade for the truth about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. I've heard many different things about the legitimacy of "JFK", but it does bring up aOliver Stone delivers the epic tale of Louisiana D.A. Jim Garrison and his crusade for the truth about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. I've heard many different things about the legitimacy of "JFK", but it does bring up a series of valid questions surrounding Kennedy's murder. Everyone in this star-studded cast brought their A-game for "JFK". From Kevin Costner's commanding turn as Jim Garrison to Gary Oldman's dynamic portrayal of Lee Harvey Oswald, the acting remains a flawless aspect of the film. Another aspect of the film I admired was the Oscar-winning cinematography. Cinematographer Robert Richardson does a stunning job at seamlessly integrating actual archive footage and mock archive footage into the film. He also does a fairly impressive job with lighting techniques in some more tense scenes. Overall, "JFK" struck a very powerful chord with me, and it remains a fairly provocative film that enforces that the power to question is one of the most effective abilities of the citizens of a country. Collapse
drlowdonJun 7, 2013
Three years after the assassination of John F Kennedy new evidence has come to light and District Attorney Jim Garrison decides to conduct an in-depth investigation into the President's murder unearthing a number of theories on the eventsThree years after the assassination of John F Kennedy new evidence has come to light and District Attorney Jim Garrison decides to conduct an in-depth investigation into the President's murder unearthing a number of theories on the events that occurred.

Based on the books "On the Trail of the Assassins" by Jim Garrison and "Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy" by Jim Marrs Oliver Stone’s J.F.K is let down slightly is in its inability to choose which conspiracy theory it supports. At least five are mentioned including the CIA, the mafia and weapons manufacturers meaning that even after the three hour running time viewers will be left none the wiser as to who might have actually been behind the assassination. Despite this it certainly presents a compelling case against the widely believed lone gunman theory and will certainly inspire some to delve a little deeper into that fateful day in 1963.
Nerocz1Mar 15, 2015
Absolutely epic and amazing movie. Always feels thrilling, exciting and actors are flawless. This is one of Oliver Stone´s best movies and one of my absolute favourites. Yes there are of course some faults, but who cares, great movie.
CalibMcBoltsMay 30, 2016
JFK is an absolute masterwork of filmmaking and story telling, never has editing and cinematography blanded so well together, to create one of the most riveting, educational, thrilling, mysterious, and controversial films of all time. JFK isJFK is an absolute masterwork of filmmaking and story telling, never has editing and cinematography blanded so well together, to create one of the most riveting, educational, thrilling, mysterious, and controversial films of all time. JFK is one of the best pieces of filmmaking i've ever seen, and one of my all-time favorite films.

With films like this, where the subject matter is delicate and lies close to people's heart, and where it is incredibly controversial there will always be haters of the movie just because they hate it (I've read many reviews like that) without even viewing the film properly, without predjudice or anything like that.
I am no american, and i am too young to have been alive around 1963, so i knew little about the assassination going into this film, except ofcourse that JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald (which is something i learned in school, i didnt know if it was true or not, i did know that there was some controvery around the assassination though, and that's it) So i went in watching without predjudice. A movie like this will always have historians or other people complaining about how factually inaccurate it is, and frankly, i dont care about this in any way, same with biographies, i dont care if it is incredibly inaccurate, i care if it is a well-made film, and damn, JFK is one hell of a well made film. It's one of the most riveting, educational, thrilling, mysterious, and controversial films of all time. In my honest opinion there really is little to complain here.

The main thing about this film is exposition and there's a lot of it in the film. There are times when Stone essentially asks us to listen while a character explains things. These scenes could have been deadly. He makes them exciting by using persuasive actors, by cutting between many different points of view, and by reconstructing the events being described. Stone's film is hypnotically watchable. Leaving aside all of its drama and emotion, it is a masterpiece of film assembly. The writing, the editing, the music, the photography, are all used here in a film of enormous complexity, to weave a persuasive tapestry out of an overwhelming mountain of evidence and testimony. Film students will examine this film in wonder in the years to come, astonished at how much information it contains, how many characters, how many interlocking flashbacks, what skillful interweaving of documentary and fictional footage. The film hurtles for 188 minutes through a sea of information and conjecture, and never falters and never confuses us. That is not to say that we are quite sure, when it is over and we try to reconstruct the experience in our minds, exactly what Stone's conclusions are. "JFK" does not unmask the secrets of the Kennedy assassination. Instead, it uses the Garrison character as a seeker for truth who finds that the murder could not have happened according to the official version.

JFK is one of the best edited films of all time.