5.0

1. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Jobs was SO VERY INCREDIBLY boring. It was interesting, but that's not close to recommending the movie. Because this was a failure, Danny Boyle wants to make his own Steve Jobs biopic starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
  2. Apr 19, 2014
    Jobs isn't the best biopic on Steve Job's life, but it isn't a dismal attempt. It lacks good narrative in the beginning, but by the middle parts you might even start to like it a little. Ashton Kutcher has his moments of great acting, but they are mostly overshadowed by his lack of emotional depth in the character.
  3. Mar 10, 2014
    An okay film but not what I wanted to see, in any simple way of putting it's disappointing, only hope Steve Jobs gets a better quality film about him and not just the products he made.
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    The film does tackle very important points about Steve Jobs and his life, but in the end it really all comes down to the casting, particularly Ashton Kutcher's role as Steve. Which was the big mistake of the film.
  5. Feb 13, 2014
    I really don't see what the negative criticism surrounding this movie is all about; it was pretty good. Whether or not the movie is accurate in portraying Steve Jobs, I don't know. Did it gloss over some important things in Steve's life? Maybe. But I do know is that this is a compelling drama film and Ashton Kutcher's performance was good. Liked seeing Steve Job's humble beginnings. I don't think the film is biased or "just another piece of Apple advertising"; on the contrary, it shows the positive and negative aspects of Steve's personality and life. I wish the film had covered more of his life, particularly leading up to his death.

Too bad Steve sometimes seems kinda like a douchebag and an insane perfectionist. (He even refuses to support for or provide for his own daughter!)

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows and mark this review as helpful.
  6. Feb 6, 2014
    Jobs is a stunning movie that really presents the characters excellent, and it got a hell of a story! The first thing I got impressed in this movie is Ashton Kutcher, Josh Gad and Giles Matthey´s performance, they're playing their roles so good, not just by their appearance, but also the way they talks & how they express themselves, especially Ashton Kutcher, because he was born to play Steve Jobs!

The movie has a wonderful beginning and just felt beautiful at some places, kind of dramatic actually, and it was really inspiring! From my point of view is Jobs a very well made biography film that really shows us how well and sad our lives can be, in this case, Steve Jobs´s life. I would give this film a nine of a ten if it could have a more creative ending, because the feeling the movie gave thought the film just disappeared in the end, so they could have done that better, and maybe to show us a little more what happened later in the 2000s inside Apple. The film itself is spectacular, but there is some scenes that that could have been better, because it was a little lengthy & boring at some places, but overall this movie did a hell of a job at everything and I really recommend this movie for everyone, especially technology & Apple-fans!
    Jobs gets a 8/10
  7. Jan 28, 2014
    Excellent movie! With Ashton Kutcher at his best, was so convincible as Steve Jobs that made me believe they revived the executive and put him on the screen.
  8. Jan 27, 2014
    La historia esta bien relatada JObs es una pelicula de esas que,son difíciles de calificar gracias a que tienes sus bajas y sus altas además de ser una películas que trae varia polémica en la critica
  9. Jan 11, 2014
    Jobs is a boring straightforward biopic that shows Steve Jobs at his highs and lows without any insight into anything. While these are real people, the characters themselves are underdeveloped. The script is lousy and cliché, and the director seemed to be making a TV movie at best.
  10. Jan 9, 2014
    Jobs is a monotonous and very biographic film. During two hours all what we see is the life of Steve Jobs, just as it was. He started working in the garage of his house with some friends fixing computers and ended founding his own company, from which he was fired and the rehired; to finally become a living celebrity. The problem of the movie is that it waste a story with so great potential, I mean the director could evaluate the reaction of the protagonist during the time without job, or when he lose all his friends, and even when he was successful. Although there are some things that are really good, for example how it manage to capture the legend that Jobs represent, also is the unbelievable acting of Ashton Kutcher, and the way it is use the camera; because at the beginning of the film we see the moment when the IPod was presented and Steve was at the summit of his career, the camera record from below, giving the character an unreachable figure. Just after that its shown when he was stuck starting the university, the camera is placed above, meaning that he is a person of no importance. The problem is that the movie is nothing more than a history class. Expand
  11. Jan 5, 2014
    All I learned from this interpretation was that Steve Jobs as absolutely brilliant but hated shoes and could really be a huge jerk If you aren't interested in computers then this movie is very dry and lacks entertainment. All I could think about while watching the movie was that I forgot my iPod at my parents house It really did nothing for me. I can see a demographic of people really enjoying this movie, I certainly wasn't one of them. Expand
  12. Jan 3, 2014
    This movie is nothing like The Social Network. I'm not saying that as a bad point or as a good point. I'm just starting my review with a common mistake. The Social Network was about two friends and how a big corporation ruined their friendship. Jobs is about the big corporation, not the people involved with it. Ashton Kutcher was a decent actor in this movie. When it was announced that he was going to be play Steve Jobs, everybody lost their But he's actually alright, nothing special, but not a bad performance. Pretty much everyone is nothing special. Ashton Kutcher is the only actor who I can name off the top of my head, who was in Jobs. Besides JK Simmons who has such a memorable face that I will always recognise him. You may think that the story of the movie was already prepared, but the writers had to pick some events in Steve Job's life which were interesting. They did not do it too well. I would have preferred to have seen more about the later life of Steve Jobs, than him sitting in an office shouting at people. The writers obviously noticed how good Ashton Kutcher looked as old Steve Jobs and decided to give him as little screen time as possible. Also it was not made clear what year's things were taking place in. I'm not an expert on Steve Jobs so I have no idea what year he was born in (probably in the 50's), after watching the movie about his company. I still don't know. One of the things I did like was the soundtrack. There was some of The Beatles some of The Rolling Stones (I think) and it really gave the movie a vintage feel. I'm guessing that's when a lot of it took place because I had no idea what year it was most of the time. To be honest Jobs did not teach me much about Steve Jobs at all. I can't remember what college he went to (even though it's in the second scene). I can't remember the name of his wife. Or whether she was even his wife?

As an autobiographical movie Jobs is not good and focuses more on which people he shouted at than what products he made. But watching people getting shouted at is funny. As a movie overall Jobs is good and for the most part enjoyable.
  13. Dec 21, 2013
    Not knowing anything about its subject I approached Jobs with minimal interest and found it to be a surprisingly compelling, if rather conventionally told, biopic about the recently deceased techno wiz. Based on its own merits Ashton Kutcher's performance is probably the best of an otherwise undistinguished career. However, at times and partly due to the screenplay, he is over emphatic in portraying Jobs as both unscrupulous and unlikeable, which he very possibly was. Under rated by the critics and despite a shaky start, the film does settle down to become very entertaining. Expand
  14. Nov 30, 2013
    What a mess, I did not think it was possible to create such an uninteresting story of such a dynamic individual. I bet David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin would have created a gem.

Save your money.
  15. Nov 25, 2013
    "Jobs" was ambitious but it never really felt like a big budget biopic about Steve Jobs and, ultimately, felt like a made-for-TV story about the Apple guru. I wasn't sold on Kutcher's performance and only saw him as Ashton the entire movie and not Steve. Additionally, I felt they handled Jobs' growth as a person poorly as the movie jumped from point to point and any character development needed for the next scene was just conveniently there when the story arrived. However, I really enjoyed Josh Gad as Wozniak, the soundtrack was great and I admire that they didn't sugarcoat the reality that Jobs had a reputation of being kind of a big meanie-head. In the end, "Jobs" was a passable biopic about the man who created a company where people will wait in line for days to get a phone that is really no different from the previous one they waited in line for. Expand
  16. Nov 23, 2013
    Joshua Michael Stern's "Jobs" is like an assembly line for the best moments in the career of Steve Jobs, but seriously lacking in depth, and without much significance. It is a truly unremarkable biopic of the "master of innovation" as you could possibly imagine. "Jobs" follows an overly safe, unimaginative course that clocks in at a tiresome 122 minutes. The storytelling is painfully straightforward, covering only the principal events of his professional trials and tribulations, and providing little else beyond what is already public knowledge.

Developing his imagination for computer programming at Atari, Steve Jobs (Ashton Kutcher) brings in his friend Steve Wozniak (Josh Gad) to help with the hardware aspect, forming a partnership that would soon lead to the founding and development of Apple Computers, a force within the industry throughout the 1980s. Steve is not prepared for the financial demands and the ruthless business mentality, and is eventually forced out of the company he began, only to return in the 1990s with a fresh game plan on how to bring Apple back into the public consciousness, and to dominate the industry once again.

"Jobs" is a biopic with a very narrow focus, and without any sense of risk or adventure. It is so intent on covering Jobs' entire corporate career, that it simply reduces his personal life to a footnote. Stern completely glosses over Jobs' personal life, which is essential to any self-respecting biopic. The entire production feels rushed and slapped together simply to benefit from being the first one out of the gate.

To his credit, Kutcher puts forth a good effort, and he undeniably looks the part of Steve Jobs. Unfortunately, Ashton always looks like he is trying too hard to play the part, and never fully becomes the character he's portraying. His limitations on the big screen prove to be a major liability. He has developed a screen persona as likeable character, which has served him well with numerous TV sitcoms. Not so much with movies.

What emerges is a movie that has "a made for TV" feel, which depicts a self-absorbed creep who stabs everyone in the back to simply to get his way that goes on for two plus hours. A thoroughly unsatisfying tribute, and we are still left none the wiser as to what made "The Father of the Digital Revolution" beyond what we already know.
  17. Oct 28, 2013
    i expected more from this film, specially since it runs over 2 hours..
    i expected to see more about the product creation, i expected at least a mention of pixar and for last i expected the timeline to reach at least the first iphone..
    I however did like that they didnt try to pass steve as a good doo'er and got to show hes side.
    That being sad, i did not disliked the movie, liked it
    about as much as one could like a movie about a genius if i would have to choose between this and the social network, i'ld go with facebook thos, just a better script and better acting. Expand
  18. Oct 12, 2013

19. Oct 11, 2013
    Jobs is an inspiring movie about working hard and dedication. Jobs accurately represents Steve Jobs as he was. This movie is slow at first but once it picks up, it never falls. It's so interesting to see how Steve Jobs and the rest of Apple can go from working in a garage, to becoming the worlds most valuable company.
    Ashton Kutcher shows a different side of his acting talents, Kutcher
    plays Jobs so well, while looking much like him. Althoguht the movie leaves out some really interesting patches of Steve Jobs' life. Like his work with Disney, and Pixar. But bottom line, regardless of all of that other stuff. There was a lot and i mean a lot, of things wrong, false, and incorrect about the movie. I think this film was too rushed and could have been dont a lot better. If the film wasn't so rushed Steve Wozniak could have maybe been on set to help out. Expand
  20. Oct 11, 2013
    Pure entertainment. Critics have ruined it for me. The ending was good, although it could be much better if it was with Jobs as an old man. I saw some directing mistakes, but Ashton Kutcher did an AMAZING performance!!!!! Excellent to him. A huge well done to the movie. Do not listen to the critics, and watch it!
  21. Oct 2, 2013
    Boring movie, complete waste of my time. I wish there was more to it not just a history lesson that pretty much anyone knows or can read up on. Save your money and go see something else.
  22. Sep 22, 2013
    The movie is quite entertaining and not bad overall but where it fails miserably is the decision to cast Aston Kutcher. Every moment that is suppose to be taken seriously, having feeling, or make a point comes across as cheesy. "Jobs" is certainly no "Social Network".
  23. Sep 21, 2013
    Shallow movie. Ashton was ok, but not more. I missed aspects of his personal life, and of course about his illness and dead. The movie goes around his caracter and the imperium he create, but nothing new. All aspects well known about everybody. I was expectiting rhe wonderfoul Standford speech, but never happen.
    It could be a great movie, but it was more an acting docummentary.
  24. Sep 20, 2013
    Great movie but once again another rushed ending. Kutcher did a very great job and this movie makes me sort of want to buy a mac or and iphone(NOT) but in all great movie you wont be disappointed.
  25. Sep 7, 2013
    "How does somebody know what they want if they haven't even seen it." This one sentence really explained to me why Apple was created. JOBS, is the biography/film recreation of Steve Jobs' (Ashton Kutcher) life. Being founder of Apple, we follow him and Steve Wozniak (Josh Gad), as they create the company and watch it flourish. The film starts in 2001 (picture two) as Steve introduces the first iPod, and then it jumps back to mid 70's when the company first started. Starting the company in his parent’s garage with the other Steve, we follow him through his hard work in Apple. We could tell that Steve really was a jerk after starting his company, but we also saw how he cared about his good friends and about the association.

The movie really gave me an understanding on how his life changed the world. I learned that words did not affect Steve; he never gave up with hundreds of people hanging up on his phone pitches, and in live demos. The film JOBS really showed how great of an actor Kutcher is. Throughout the film, I was convinced that he was Steve Jobs. He had got everything right even down to the walk Steve actually carried.

Being an Apple fan, I really enjoyed JOBS. I think that any viewer would enjoy the film, but I feel like the movie will only attract people who care about the history of Apple. It's more of a selective audience for this film, because there is no point in seeing it if you are not an Apple fanatic. I think Josh Gad also did a great job as Wozniak, and I still think he and Jonah Hill have the same voice.

Even in the 130 minutes the film ran, JOBS did not cover the last decade of his life when Apple really took off. Sequel, maybe? I wasn't sure if Open Road Films (which I've never heard of) had to pull the plug on the ending. After thinking about the film, my only idea is that they did not need to continue the film because we can just pull out the device in our pockets. They did not need to cover the next decade, because we already know what happens. The company expands so greatly that Steve gets his wish of changing the world with over 25% of American adults, owning iPhones.

I felt the film started to drag on, even though some scenes were rushed. For example, Steve's wife and children came into the picture at a time that didn't seem appropriate. Overall, I think Jobs really defines Steve’s life, and the start, and growth of the company everyone knows about. If you own an iDevice, or want to learn more about Steve; JOBS is the movie for you.
  26. Aug 30, 2013
    Ashton kutcher did an amazing performance. The movie itself could be better directed. Yet it is still inspiring and amazing. Kutcher by far did the best performance of his career and showed that he has a great potential.
  27. Aug 27, 2013
    Ok so Jobs wasn't the disaster I expected but it certainly wasn't good either. It really didn't teach you much about "Who is Steve Jobs?" it was almost like it was in fast forward, it just showed a few events that occurred yet somehow it was dragged to over 2 hours. Ashton Kutcher was possibly the worst possible choice to play Steve Jobs, only thing he did well was Steve's walk which really isn't a big deal at all. It's not all his fault as to why this film was bad, the other reason is Joshua Michael Stern who has next to nothing under his belt director or writer wise. This movie was written horribly and Ashton Kutcher like I said before was the worst choice. Ben Affleck would've been a great choice in my opinion but I know Ben certainly wouldn't agree to be a part of this awful script. 3/10 although 2 is probably more deserving but I'll give it a charity point. Not a complete disaster (I've seen worse) but still pretty darn bad. Don't waste your time and definitely don't waste your hard earned cash. Expand
  28. Aug 23, 2013
    JOBS really surprised me with how accurate it is. Scenes unfolded just like I imagined them after I read some books about Steve Jobs' life. Pros: -Very detailed and accurate. -Entertaining ride. -Ashton really surprised me. I was never a fan of him, but he did a superb job. -Supporting actors were tremendous. -Very educational for the whole family to see. Cons: -I wish the movie had continued into the 2000s.
    -I wanted to see more of Jobs' home life away from Apple.
  29. Aug 22, 2013
    Ashton Kutcher may have the talent to play Steve Jobs, but the rest of the movie cuts out a few very important details of his life, while being monotonous in the process. But it is worth watching.
  30. Aug 22, 2013
    From all accounts, Steve Jobs was a brilliant innovator, but also a demanding, inconsiderate This biopic starts with his free-spirit college days, spends lots of time creating the first computer in his parents' garage, then traces his rise and fall and rise at Apple. Ashton Kutcher, who is an on-screen charmer, is out of his league in this role, unable to plumb the characters' complexities. Even though the screenplay tries to show Jobs' good and bad sides, it's just a flat, yet absorbing history lacking in emotion, drama or excitement. Expand
  31. Aug 20, 2013
    Just another piece of Apple advertising, it was so biased toward Jobs and his life that it was completely cringe worthy to say the least, it give no depth, is often too over-the-top, and at times just downright inaccurate, the movie feels like it's juggling reality and Hollywood, also, Bill Gates never existed according to the writers.
  32. Aug 19, 2013
    Watch THE PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY if you want a real, less romantic look at Mr Jobs. That movie was far superior and more interesting, this was 2 hours of fanboy glory. zzzz
  33. Aug 18, 2013
    jOBS Review Originally posted at: http://www.yeahyeahcool.com/2013/08/18/jobs-review/ by Carla Valdes @karluccia In 2011 the world lost one of the most important visionaries of our era. Two years later, from director Joshua Michael Stern, we have Jobs; a bio-pic that should have looked back on the extraordinary life and career of Steve Jobs, but rather focuses more on the boardroom drama of Apple Computers.

Ashton Kutcher does a fair acting attempt with a respectful performance, even taking on Jobs’ distinctive mannerisms and walking stride. Comic relief is provided in the way of Josh Gad, who portrays Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. The rest of the cast does its fair share at responding to Kutcher’s rants, looking wide eyed and fearful when needed.

I feel the problem with Jobs comes from the script, which focuses on Jobs being a neurotic, unlikeable, vindictive, angry genius and bad father, who suffers from occasional screaming fits, usually done while speeding his sports car through the rain.

Much of Steve Jobs’ personal life is randomly mentioned in the film, one moment being the emotional impact his adoption had on him which is touched upon during an LSD trip. Omitted completely is the important work Jobs held with Pixar, his development of the iPhone, his emotional search of his biological parents, how he met and married his wife, and most important his history with Bill Gates, the latter being reduced to a heated one sided phone call with Jobs screaming at the top of his lungs.

Maybe Steve Jobs wasn’t the nicest person when he was alive, but surely he deserved more than this depressing, uninspired and disappointing film.

D+
  34. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a big fan of Steve Jobs because he was and he's my idol but this movie is not a good biographic movie! That's only a large target audience movie who don't answer to the real fans wait. Expand
  35. Aug 17, 2013
    Jobs is a boring movie. It feels like the low budget, made-for-tv version of The Social Network. I'm angry that I wasted money on it, and I'm upset at how bad it turned out to be considering how good the trailer looked.
  36. Aug 17, 2013
    It ain't no "Social Network", it's a movie that lingers in some aspects. For starters I'll say that the acting is pretty good, especially Ashton Kutcher. I don't know how he did it, but he off Steve Jobs pretty good. But the big problem with this movie is that source material used is a bit of a mess. They exaggerate some factual source material, yet at the same time they don't show enough of other source material. Overall, it's a heart-less version of "The Social Network". Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  37. Aug 16, 2013
    The decade the film skips when an ousted Jobs created his software company NeXT, which he eventually sold to Apple seems like a lost chapter that could have illuminated it subject. How does such a driven man survive after being driven out? Instead, the film picks up in 1996, when Jobs inexplicably has a new wife and young son; his now college-age daughter snoozing on the living-room couch. He's lured back to Apple and transforms it into the most profitable company in the world. (That's not a spoiler, it's history you can check it on your iPhone.) And that's the problem with "Jobs." While it's interesting to see the history of Apple and how Jobs' singular determination was crucial to its success, the history of a company isn't as compelling as the history of a person, especially one as complex, innovative and influential as Steve Jobs. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Aug 21, 2013
    It fails to rise above the inherent limitations of the traditional Hollywood biopic and it's about as insanely great as a Mac "low cost" LC model – which was, to be fair, pretty cool.
  2. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Aug 20, 2013
    Kutcher finds compassion without going for anything so cheap as an explanation for Jobs's bad behavior; it's a wily, understated performance.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Aug 19, 2013
    The problem is that the film gets too wrapped up in the myth to tell an effective behind-the-scenes tale.