Joe

7.5

1. Jan 1, 2016
    Really great movie--I would rate it higher if I found more depth in the script instead of the good small-town story it has. Other people say this movie is "hypnotic" and I agree. A good tragedy movie for Netflix binges. On a side note, I should add that the interrelationships of the characters is really something that rings true to life and seems like a good source of insight to American life.
  2. Oct 21, 2015
    Nic Cage is a movie guy, the guy is Con Air, how much more wrong side of the tracks can you get? This movie is about a quarter of that dosage. I wanted Con Air, I guess I'll watch Con Air.
  3. Sep 6, 2015
    In this remake of a 1970 film by the same name, Nicholas Cage plays Joe, an ex-con and unlikely hero to a fifteen year old boy. The story is called Joe, and you'll figure out why by the end, but to be honest, I saw this film more as a coming of age story, with the majority of the focus on Gary (Tye Sheridan). Gary's family is difficult to say the least, both his parents are drug addicts,In this remake of a 1970 film by the same name, Nicholas Cage plays Joe, an ex-con and unlikely hero to a fifteen year old boy. The story is called Joe, and you'll figure out why by the end, but to be honest, I saw this film more as a coming of age story, with the majority of the focus on Gary (Tye Sheridan). Gary's family is difficult to say the least, both his parents are drug addicts, and it's up to him to earn a living to support his sister. One day while out in the woods, he comes across Joe, a man who owns a lumber company and persuades him to give him a job. Gary is a hard worker who comes to see his boss as more of a father figure than his own father, and when things get bad, he's turns to Joe for help. Joe is no saint though, as he has his own criminal past and is reluctant to get involved. This is one of these really dark, slow moving dramas, where everything may or may not be important to the story. The real action is spaced out, but when something happens, the intensity is off the charts. This film is very similar to, Winter's Bone, which also had a young lead trying to save her siblings. While Tye Sheridan is not Jennifer Lawrence, his more quiet demeanor makes him more likable in the eyes of the viewer. Sheridan is a kid who came out of nowhere to star in the independent film, Mud, and since then has become known for making these super dark, intense films, where he plays a quiet, reserved character that one can't help but root for. Nicholas Cage is equally as good in a role that is more dramatic than most of things he's done lately. That being said, Cage still has it and together with Sheridan make for one of the most interesting and unique films I've seen all year. The story and even the trailer seem to be a little dull, most people will look at this film and see it as too slow and dramatic, and at first, I thought so too, but as the film progresses it just gets better and better, ascending to the level of a must see movie. Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2015
    Joe is a surprisingly good movie, considering Nicolas Cage's recent run a TERRIBLE movies. The acting keeps you gripped and entertained throughout and will also keep you watching.
  5. Feb 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really can't recommend this movie to anyone. While the three lead actors in this movie give great performances, the movie ultimately leaves you feeling empty and unhappy even with the optimistic ending it has. It's a really downer of a movie.

Also, if you've seen "Sling Blade" or "Taxi Driver" then you've seen this same sort of story working much better in a movie. I'd give those two a try before this movie.
  6. Feb 20, 2015
    Definitely an interesting movie. It had many upsides including fantastic filming and acting. And the visuals are nice, to say the least. The plot is deep, as well as it's characters, and I don't object to it's authenticity. There are many who would find this movie spectacular. It immerses it's audience in a very grounded environment, and has a sort of bleak appeal to it. But in theDefinitely an interesting movie. It had many upsides including fantastic filming and acting. And the visuals are nice, to say the least. The plot is deep, as well as it's characters, and I don't object to it's authenticity. There are many who would find this movie spectacular. It immerses it's audience in a very grounded environment, and has a sort of bleak appeal to it. But in the end, it's not really my kind of movie. Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2014
    Nicolas Cage on point once again. I found this movie particularly for the reason that he was the main character. I had no idea what to expect, but the trailers showed promise. I was not disappointed. The angle was more on the drama side than action. I was especially impressed with the portrayal of the young teen Gary. There was a razor sharp emotional grip this film had. Seeing Gary'sNicolas Cage on point once again. I found this movie particularly for the reason that he was the main character. I had no idea what to expect, but the trailers showed promise. I was not disappointed. The angle was more on the drama side than action. I was especially impressed with the portrayal of the young teen Gary. There was a razor sharp emotional grip this film had. Seeing Gary's father and family situation seems disturbingly real as though it was live footage of real people as opposed to dramatic actors. Cage helps us step into Joe's life and the conflict within him to lash out at the world and lose control of his anger. Of course it did get pretty extreme and violent. Kind of leaves you thinking, why are so many of these people in this town so messed up? Also begs the question of just how many teens suffer from the same type of thing...probably a lot more than people bother to admit. Low scale and on the slower side. Definitely strong acting though. You get to play around with the thought of whether Joe is really more of a criminal than a good man. I think the end is a sour way to wrap up that enigma but understandable. Worth a watch. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2014
    This one has many things going for it, but ultimately, does not live up to those parts. Firstly, the acting across the board is great. Nicolas Cage proves he still has it in 2014, Tye Sheridan is great, and Greg Poulter (RIP) is great in his only role ever. The look and feel of this one is very realistic thanks to the alright direction from David Gordon Green and the great cinematography.This one has many things going for it, but ultimately, does not live up to those parts. Firstly, the acting across the board is great. Nicolas Cage proves he still has it in 2014, Tye Sheridan is great, and Greg Poulter (RIP) is great in his only role ever. The look and feel of this one is very realistic thanks to the alright direction from David Gordon Green and the great cinematography. However, the ultimate undoing of this one is that while it is always interesting, there is just not enough happening. I cannot really point to ways in which these characters changed throughout the film, rather they seem to be about the same. In addition, the plot does not really do much and does have much depth to it. Thus, this film is essentially about a man who takes a kid under his wing, which is a film we have seen many times, such as Mud, which sounds very similar on paper and takes the elements it has and does brilliant things with them. Here, however, Joe squanders all of its good parts and winds up just being "ok". I cannot be mad at it, because it is enjoyable, but there is just not much to write home about here. Expand
  9. Jun 22, 2014
    If you like movies about drunks and degenerates then you'll love this movie. I couldn't figure out the point of this movie even though it was completely predictable. The whole time I kept thinking it had to get better, since it had high ratings, but it never did. Makes me think these rating are scammed.
  10. Jun 20, 2014
    Viendo esta pelicula descubri que nicolas gage a si es como deve de escojer sus personajes todabia tiene esa forma de actuar de jo9ven que lo hizo uno de los mejores. es una pelicula muy buena si te gusta el drama coon poco de accion. si hay partes donde jhablan mucho pero no es aburrida te mantiene entretenido.
  11. May 17, 2014
    Yes it looks and feels very real but this movie is really not as good as people say, its actually quite boring. I couldn't even make it to the end! Nick cage gives a good performance but unfortunally its not enough to keep you engaged.
  12. Apr 29, 2014
    What a Gripping movie it dose not disappoint but at times falls below the belt. Nicolas Cage always seems to bring out the best in movies like such as these.

Maki
  13. Apr 25, 2014
    Joe is a film that breaks the heart, awesome performances, Nicolas Cage was so good at the movie and the new boy, Tye Sheridan is a promess to hollywood. It's a little slowly but exhilarating. I love it.
  14. Apr 21, 2014
    I really liked this film. As one person said, it reminded me of Winter's Bone. I agree it is not as good but it was great to see Cage back in action and the story was gritty enough to keep one honest. The ending was not as predictable as I thought. I enjoyed the realism of the poor white country southerners who really do exist. It helped that I was not expecting much and got a lot fromI really liked this film. As one person said, it reminded me of Winter's Bone. I agree it is not as good but it was great to see Cage back in action and the story was gritty enough to keep one honest. The ending was not as predictable as I thought. I enjoyed the realism of the poor white country southerners who really do exist. It helped that I was not expecting much and got a lot from this film. This will be in my 2014 top ten. Expand
  15. Apr 21, 2014
    Nicholas Cage plays a troubled man (no news there) who befriends a 15-year-old boy (Tye Sheridan) with an abusive father. Before it's all over, the inevitable unfolds. Cage enjoys the opportunity to be gruff, yet tender and Sheridan is both sweet and sad. The supporting cast is made up of obviously non-pro actors who add to the low-class vibe. The darkness that should creep around the edgeNicholas Cage plays a troubled man (no news there) who befriends a 15-year-old boy (Tye Sheridan) with an abusive father. Before it's all over, the inevitable unfolds. Cage enjoys the opportunity to be gruff, yet tender and Sheridan is both sweet and sad. The supporting cast is made up of obviously non-pro actors who add to the low-class vibe. The darkness that should creep around the edge of this film tends to overpower it too early and too obviously. Director David Gordon Green ("Pineapple Express") can be greatly blamed for the oppressive and mean spirit of this predictable endeavor. Expand
  16. Apr 20, 2014
    This movie reminded me of "The Winter Bone" but significantly lower quality.

The movie is uneven: some scenes are better, others are worse. Some really take your attentions, others look not authentic or outright cheesy. Even though the movie is after a book (with the same name), the screenplay seems half cooked. Nicolas Cage is still a very good actor but it is not enough to turn
    This movie reminded me of "The Winter Bone" but significantly lower quality.

Nicolas Cage is still a very good actor but it is not enough to turn a mediocre movie into a good one.
  17. Apr 17, 2014
    This was a great movie. A very hard story. Emotional. You get caught up in the story and the characters. Joe and Gary are true friends. Cage was fantastic. The movie had me so pulled in and would not let me go. The actor who play G-Dawg was a real homeless man. He passed away on the streets of Austin. Truly sad. He also was amazing.
  18. Apr 15, 2014
    A great book. A mediocre film. The story is rushed and erratic and few of the characters are fully formed. And despite taking an "indie" role, Nick Cage has still lost the ability to act.
  19. Apr 14, 2014
    This film is worth to watch. "Joe" is a real-life story, a emotional drama with nice shot and nice scriptconcept. Cage give his whole best performance on this, can be his best performance this year, a big praised also sent to Sheridan and Gary Poulter, a fit and impressive ensemble.

1. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Jul 21, 2014
    An understated Nicolas Cage — there’s a phrase you don’t get to write too often these days — anchors a superbly realised film, which, like its eponymous hero, has a brittle outer shell concealing a surprisingly warm heart.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 16, 2014
    The result is intense and powerful, a full-color portrait of the importance of never surrendering.
    None of this would work with anywhere near the power it does without Nicolas Cage, whom Green has smartly cast in this sometimes maddeningly erratic and ill-disciplined actor’s most perfectly suited role since "Leaving Las Vegas" and "Adaptation."