7.0

1. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To the reviewer who claimed this film "evokes pretty much every sci-fi classic from the past 50 years" and so on: John Carter was written in 1912. That's right: 1912. It predates "every sci-fi classic from the past 50 years", you complete tool.

No, John Carter is not a great film. It's pretty shallow. It lacks heart, and Taylor Kitsch has only one facial expression. The problem is that it's all largely too easy for the titular character, but I assume that's most likely a reflection of the source text. The lead character bounces around Mars without really much consideration for the fact he's on another planet. That's a failure of the director, and he hasn't injected any breathless wonder at being lost and far from home (in a spectacular setting).

The CGI is great, as you'd expect these days, and the story passable. The plot is a little vague and weak as to the purposes of the bad guys, but it's good enough. The female lead is suitably hot, and does a good job. The ending left me wanting the lead to return to Barsoom after possibly losing everything, and rooting for the main character is a reasonable sign of a decent film.

It's clean, reasonably wholesome entertainment that the kiddies should enjoy, and the adults won't mind either. I don't know if it's been successful enough to spawn a sequel (although it hasn't done badly, despite the critics), but with another sodden Twilight teen angst-fest on the horizon, and the blandness-cum-pointlessness of The Hunger Games, it was something different and therefore refreshing.
  2. Apr 8, 2012
    I knew that John Carter was a big failure. Disney done it last year with Mars Needs Mars and now John Carter. When I saw the commercial for the movie, it was supposed to be the "first big blockbuster of the summer," but they blew it. 3 Disney movies that have the with or without the word "Mars" on it and I can't take it anymore. Once they making a sequel soon, I hope I will not see it inI knew that John Carter was a big failure. Disney done it last year with Mars Needs Mars and now John Carter. When I saw the commercial for the movie, it was supposed to be the "first big blockbuster of the summer," but they blew it. 3 Disney movies that have the with or without the word "Mars" on it and I can't take it anymore. Once they making a sequel soon, I hope I will not see it in 3-D. It's even worse than Green Lantern. Disney, I'm very disappointed at you. John Carter is one of the worst movies of 2012 for me this far. Expand
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    A good made movie that showcases some really good effects and action as well as not forgetting emotion in its plot, Jhon Carter is a good experiance that will suprise a lot of people looking for a blast of fresh air in story telling and action, though its length and pacing could be a bit better the movie entertains nonetheless
  4. Apr 10, 2012
    I went into this movie with my family not expecting too much for what I was gonna see. We just wanted to see a cool movie in the theater because we hadn't been to the movie theater for a long while, up until March. Let me tell you though, I thought this movie was very surprising. My family and I have never read the book of John Carter on Mars, so that might be why I was surprised by howI went into this movie with my family not expecting too much for what I was gonna see. We just wanted to see a cool movie in the theater because we hadn't been to the movie theater for a long while, up until March. Let me tell you though, I thought this movie was very surprising. My family and I have never read the book of John Carter on Mars, so that might be why I was surprised by how the story turned out. All the sort of alien creatures that John Carter meets, are awesome. The acting involved with the aliens are quite believable. The plot is well told as well, and with a good supporting cast, it makes for some good dialogue. Okay maybe not outstanding dialogue, but it is well done. My point is, if you go into this movie not expecting much out of it, and maybe if you haven't read any info or read the book, except maybe seeing a trailer or TV spot, than you'll probably be quite surprised by John Carter. So the verdict on this movie I give John Carter, a 8.1 out of 10. Now it's not the most amazing movie I've seen, that's for sure, but it is quite good. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    John Carter is too boring to enjoy the whole movie . With a bad script , bad dialogues and lifeless acting made the movie too hard to enjoy even with those amazing effects and animations .
    Andrew Stanton 's direction was only good when there was no human in the scene . He should have stick with animation movies only. Taylor Kitsch have the John Carter look but his acting was the worst of all .Lynn Collins was bad most of the time . Mark Strong should have done a better job but somehow he seemed so dull and boring . Only Willem Dafoe's Voice Acting had the power of good acting. Effect was the best thing and The Animation was super . But the sound effect of the movie was the worst and this is one of the reason the movie is super boring.
    Overall John Carter is totally joyless movie with a very good effect .
  6. Mar 11, 2012
    A ne pas descendre John Carter pour son manque d'originalité, le film étant l'adaptation d'un livre (datant de 1911) qui lui même inspira bon nombres d'auteurs et réalisateurs célèbres, tel George Lucas. Par contre, on ne peut pas laisser passer le côté "gnangnan" du film. La faute auA ne pas descendre John Carter pour son manque d'originalité, le film étant l'adaptation d'un livre (datant de 1911) qui lui même inspira bon nombres d'auteurs et réalisateurs célèbres, tel George Lucas. Par contre, on ne peut pas laisser passer le côté "gnangnan" du film. La faute au fait que ce long-métrage est une production Disney, obligeant ce spectacle d'être accessible aux plus jeunes avec des dialogues insipides, un humour qui ne fera rire qu'eux, une musique qui en fait trop question émotions... Bref, le film Disney par "excellence", le studio gâchant ainsi un spectacle qui aurait bien pu rivaliser sans problème avec Star Wars. Car, en effet, on ne peut rester de marbre face à cet incroyable univers visuel qui nous est proposé (effets spéciaux, costumes, décors, bestiaire...). En bref, John Carter se présente comme Tron, l'Héritage : soit vous accrochez à l'univers est le film vous emballe, soit vous n'accrochez pas et ce divertissement ne sera qu'un spectacle à gros budget de plus. Expand
  7. Apr 3, 2012
    John Carter was pretty terrible. Everything felt completely out of place. The characters were drab and uneventful. The plot was cliche and boring. Good attempt but horrible product.
  8. Mar 29, 2012
    Great movie for the whole family. John Carter is a funny, action packed movie. Yo will enjoy the time spent on the script, and effects. I watched it with my parents and they laughed more thank I did.
  9. Jun 5, 2012
    John Carter part 2!!!! bring it on! what a fun movie to watch! Threre were 3 moments in the movie, where I thought to myself, this movie is great! Overall the movie is far from being a "classic", but alot of fun to watch! it was intresting till the end, the movie gave a closer to the story, with the end getting ready for a sequel! 8 out of 10 for sure!
  10. May 19, 2012
    I was thinking this movie would stink when I took notice of the critics reviews but It wasn't. In fact, it makes up for a nice and entertaining fantasy story with a twist in the ending that holds your breath to the very last minutes. Indeed a nice movie, I enjoyed watching it. This does not contain a juggled story like Avatar with an "okay usa!" feeling.
  11. Mar 10, 2012
    Visually, it feels like a mix between Avatar and Mars Needs Moms. The special effects are amazing and there is a great twist to the ending. It is a lot of fun.
  12. Mar 11, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, very entertaining. I would say that it is very similar to the Star Wars prequels in terms of look and feel, even the music and sound effects are similar! The acting is better than that of the Star Wars prequels. Take this movie for what it is, an entertaining Disney Movie with great special effects!
  13. Jul 9, 2012
    This movie deserved better attention than it got in theaters. It is on par with the top Star Wars and Avatar graphics in terms of special effects. Although the story is dumb overall it is fun and a romance at that. I loved the movie, had lots of fun watching it, and when I showed it on my 3D TV to people who were wanting to watch a movie they LOVED it. Actually they were completely blownThis movie deserved better attention than it got in theaters. It is on par with the top Star Wars and Avatar graphics in terms of special effects. Although the story is dumb overall it is fun and a romance at that. I loved the movie, had lots of fun watching it, and when I showed it on my 3D TV to people who were wanting to watch a movie they LOVED it. Actually they were completely blown away by the movie and wondering why they didn't ever hear of it before. It is block buster in all aspects and it deserves a sequel. Expand
  14. Mar 14, 2012
    Having just recently just read the books in preparation for this release I was really excited to see this movie. The character work was well done. The special effects were amazing. The story line staggered at times. But with all of it's supposed short-comings, I felt that this was a very cool movie. I will agree that this movie could do with a directors cut when it comes to the DVD/Blu-rayHaving just recently just read the books in preparation for this release I was really excited to see this movie. The character work was well done. The special effects were amazing. The story line staggered at times. But with all of it's supposed short-comings, I felt that this was a very cool movie. I will agree that this movie could do with a directors cut when it comes to the DVD/Blu-ray release only to address some of the finer story points that I felt could do with some further exposition. Expand
  15. Jun 6, 2012
    This was actually a really good movie. I didn't expect much in terms of story, but it delivered the goods in full. I really hope they make a sequel sooner rather than later.
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    Yeah..it flopped. The reason for it was bad marketing they say. But let's face it, while a lot of films were inspired by this story, including AVATAR, John Carter felt derivative. While Andrew Stanton is a good director, the whole film felt like any other Disney 'blockbuster wannabe' in recent years that includes TRON LEGACY. Expensive but somehow missing that extra spark that makes aYeah..it flopped. The reason for it was bad marketing they say. But let's face it, while a lot of films were inspired by this story, including AVATAR, John Carter felt derivative. While Andrew Stanton is a good director, the whole film felt like any other Disney 'blockbuster wannabe' in recent years that includes TRON LEGACY. Expensive but somehow missing that extra spark that makes a film a must see event. Expand
  17. Mar 24, 2012
    This one's an adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs' "A Princess from Mars" which was published almost a century ago. While the cast seem to fit their roles, their delivery falls between poor and fair. The costumes may be eye-catching, sometimes you'll get to think whether it was appropriate in a planet farther away from the sun compared to Earth. Anyway, we can not question that muchThis one's an adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs' "A Princess from Mars" which was published almost a century ago. While the cast seem to fit their roles, their delivery falls between poor and fair. The costumes may be eye-catching, sometimes you'll get to think whether it was appropriate in a planet farther away from the sun compared to Earth. Anyway, we can not question that much since John Carter is sci-fi. The visual effects, sound, and cinematography are satisfactory. The movie brings a lot of memories from some of the famous movies with the same genre. However, it still deserves a "good one". Expand
  18. Mar 28, 2012
    It wasn't great but it WASN'T bad either. I actually enjoyed seeing JC brought to the big screen. It was an ambitious undertaking. If you are a JC fan, go reward yourself.
  19. Apr 19, 2012
    Andrew Stanton has directed two amazing movies; Finding Nemo, and Wall-E. These pictures are both masterpieces, and favorites of mine. Now, Andrew Stanton directs his first live-action movie, John Carter. John Carter is based off of an older-novel, that inspired Star Wars, Avatar, and others. We owe a lot to John Carter, but this movie adaption certainly doesn't pay any debt. John CarterAndrew Stanton has directed two amazing movies; Finding Nemo, and Wall-E. These pictures are both masterpieces, and favorites of mine. Now, Andrew Stanton directs his first live-action movie, John Carter. John Carter is based off of an older-novel, that inspired Star Wars, Avatar, and others. We owe a lot to John Carter, but this movie adaption certainly doesn't pay any debt. John Carter is, simply put, a cheesy, melodramatic, overlong, cliched, unfunny, predictable, non-thrilling "adventure." Some aspects of the film seemed promising, but crashed and burned. There was potential here, but in the end, it all burns out. The beginning does a decent job of making us wonder what's going to happen, what did happen, etc. In fact, the beginning was pretty entertaining, albeit predictable. But after John Carter gets to Mars, the whole story drags. However, there's a lot of incredible visuals on Mars, and though that doesn't make up for stale characters and confusing plot, it helps a little. The CGI is incredible. Amazing. Absolutely gorgeous. If John Carter has one strength, it's the visual effects. Also, the score by Michael Giacchino is another winner. Giacchino never disappoints. Unfortunately, the more important aspects of the movie, like the plot and characters, are less polished. The plot (in addition to John Carter) focuses on the princess of Mars, who wants to avoid marrying a villainous man, but feels she must do it to save her people. Sound familiar? Almost any Disney Princess movie has the same or similar plot. Also, the characters have no personality. Aside from John Carter and limited other characters, there is no one with a true personality. And even those who have one are usually generic types. The action scenes are bland and predictable. The CGI and musical score make up for the awfulness, but a movie can't run on looks and sound alone. Also, there was a lot of potentially good space ship scenes that never truly happen. HOWEVER, the last 10 minutes are amazing. There's an incredible twist, and that was easily my favorite part. Andrew Stanton is a force to be reckoned with, but John Carter makes me rethink that. You saw my list earlier, the film is long, cheesy, predictable, cliched, none of the jokes are funny, etc. Aside from some visual thrills, the score, and a wonderful ending, John Carter fails. I feel like if some of the violence and revealing garments were cut out, this movie could've been PG, as opposed to PG-13, which would allow it to become a family or kid's movie. This would've worked much better, because the movie is too silly to work as an adult/teen movie. There will be at least one sequel to John Carter, but don't expect me to tell you how it is: I'm avoiding John Carter for life, and it's probably best if you did too. Edit: Due to disappointing box office performance, there will not be a sequel after all. Expand
  20. Mar 12, 2012
    I'm in my 50's and I took my 12 yr old boy to see this movie. We saw the regular 2D digital version. We were both thoroughly entertained by the story and the visuals. We want to see it again! Those who want to pick this movie apart for any reason they can think of (critics and users), and then compare it to all other sci-fi that has come before it, are totally missing the point of thisI'm in my 50's and I took my 12 yr old boy to see this movie. We saw the regular 2D digital version. We were both thoroughly entertained by the story and the visuals. We want to see it again! Those who want to pick this movie apart for any reason they can think of (critics and users), and then compare it to all other sci-fi that has come before it, are totally missing the point of this Edgar Rice Burroughs classic, and their whinings should be dismissed. Go see this movie and have a good time! Expand
  21. Mar 18, 2012
    With a name worthy of being a USA president, John Carter goes for an adventure in Mars instead, although there's no oil there. It appears Mars, or Barsoom as they call it, is not as inhospitable as we thought. It's a planet populated by overly-tanned fitness models and a hybrid species between Goro from Mortal Kombat and Jar-Jar from Star Wars. Just as any fantasy adventure plot demands,With a name worthy of being a USA president, John Carter goes for an adventure in Mars instead, although there's no oil there. It appears Mars, or Barsoom as they call it, is not as inhospitable as we thought. It's a planet populated by overly-tanned fitness models and a hybrid species between Goro from Mortal Kombat and Jar-Jar from Star Wars. Just as any fantasy adventure plot demands, there's bound to be a vagabond protagonist and a princess in distress whose fates are entwined together. But wait, John Carter doesn't only have one, but two princesses in distress, one being alien chieftain's daughter and not romance-able.

Usually I don't put much spoiler, but you can obviously see that it's not Earth, so screw it. John Carter is a mediocre intergalactic adventure, it has few appeals but the pacing is uneven and characters are not fully realized. It actually opens up in a rather interesting fashion, fast paced and quite funny. The difference between Earth and Mars is visually adequate as each style transforms smoothly. However it comes to a slow sludge about one third of the movie in an attempt to establish barely existing chemistry between John and the princess, then it's pushed rushingly in latter half, practically shortening any dramatic battles in progress.

Taylor Kitsch as John Carter (Gambit in X-Men Origins : Wolverine) does a decent job on his role as John Carter. He holds the main spot quite well, but not as aspiring as a redeemed cavalry officer turned Mars adventurer might be. Lynn Collins as the princess, Dejah Thoris is physically notable, if they want some Amazons leading female, she's there. Unfortunately her acting is subpar, her first monologue is ironically about how she sucks at monologue. Her delivery is rigid and forced like a commercial of some sort, doesn't exactly invoke a strong leader character.

As you might expect from countless other adventure movies, in a twist of fate, John saved her and it's like love at first life threatening situation. Of course, for 30 minutes she put up her tsundere shield, but ultimately madly swooned by John's charm and the fact that he air-walks like nobody's business. It's all very familiar, in fact it's near replica of Dastan and the princess of Prince of Persia, but those were better cast. The similarity doesn't end there, John Carter also use wallet shattering budget of $250 million, even more expensive than Princeâ
  22. Jun 1, 2012
    The movie starts off good. It's funny, interesting, and looks very different from most other sci-fi movies. But after the first half hour it starts to regress into worn out cliches. The effects are the only things that is consistently good throughout the movie. The middle of the film is it's weakest point. It spends a lot of time developing a very stereotypical romance between the heroThe movie starts off good. It's funny, interesting, and looks very different from most other sci-fi movies. But after the first half hour it starts to regress into worn out cliches. The effects are the only things that is consistently good throughout the movie. The middle of the film is it's weakest point. It spends a lot of time developing a very stereotypical romance between the hero and the heroine, it doesn't really advance the plot, but it goes on for so long that the climactic battle is kept far too short and feels like a let down considering the movie spent two and half hours building up to it. Then there is the "twist" ending that seems like it was thrown together at the last minute. Of course by then I was so ready for the movie to be over that I didn't end up caring much. My advice to director Andrew Stanton: stick to Pixar movies, because you're great at making those. Expand
  23. Oct 10, 2012
    I'll have to side with the critics on this one: This movie is a failure. It failed, because the people who made it didn't understand the source material. Not the director, not the screen writer, not the creature designer, not the camera man, not the casting director. The movie is based on a 1912 novel that is utter crap in a literary sense, but that WORKS, because it tickles our mostI'll have to side with the critics on this one: This movie is a failure. It failed, because the people who made it didn't understand the source material. Not the director, not the screen writer, not the creature designer, not the camera man, not the casting director. The movie is based on a 1912 novel that is utter crap in a literary sense, but that WORKS, because it tickles our most primal nerves. The hero in the book kills all the bad guys and saves the Damsel in Distress. That's the full extent of his characterization. The original John Carter is the unstoppable force made flesh. He is the quintessential Alpha Man that faces horrific foes of fangs, claws and tusks with nothing but sinew, muscle and an iron will. And before he even gets to the real action on Mars, he kills a bunch of hapless Native Americans loitering in his way. There's nothing sentimental or apologetic about it, them being raging savages after all, wholly deserving of the white man's lead and steel! That's the sentiment of the original novel anyway. If you for some reason wish to make a movie of such a book, for Christ's sake make it GRITTY! Make it brutal and menacing! Put the camera close to the hero's sweaty and blood-stained muscles! Make it a masterful piece of shameless macho porn dammit! But the creators just didn't get the basic fact: if you sanitize a classic raw macho porn novel to modern sensitivities, and put a brooding metro-sexual underwear model in the lead, nothing of value remains. The novel may be crap, but it has ONE redeeming quality - it reconnects the reader with the powerful untamed animus lurking under his civilized surface. Yes, I said HIS, because such works are for the boys exclusively! Strip all that away, add a little feminist/multicultural/care-bear sensitivity to the mix, and you get "John Carter" the Disney Family Movie. This John Carter doesn't want to fight, he doesn't want to tell good guys from bad, because aren't we all the same, can't we all just get along? He meets Martian Tharks, immense beast-like humanoids, formidable foes with four muscular arms and tusks they use to rip open their victim's belly (in the book), here reduced to confused skinny wimps with weak degenerated limbs and sad/scared looks on their faces. He saves the beautiful and sexy Damsel in Distress (in the book), here reduced to a not all that sexy Xena-like strong-woman who doesn't require saving in the least. When she finally (!) shows some leg, she saps all erotic charge from the moment by lamenting how "vulgar" her dress is, and that it's not in her character to wear such things. Gosh, my repressed inner Alpha Male really wants to come out of hiding and be this woman's Hero. Not. She's the stuff teenage boy's dreams are made of. Not. The overall feeling this movie gives me, is that the creators absolutely fear and loathe the masculine. They despise male strength. It's as if they do everything in their might to emasculate the poor John Carter. It's not just that they sanitize him into respecting Native American Culture, they actively sabotage his machoness. They pick camera angles that make him seem small and insignificant. They turn his helpless damsel into a formidable warrior. They even insert new super-villains to the story! This is perhaps the biggest crime of all. The Mars of the novel is a barbarian world, Mars is the Planet of WAR! The conflict is about the good guys fighting the bad guys, who are just like the good guys, only BAD. But in the movie, a mysterious race of super-villains are added, shape-shifting and teleporting immortal techno-mages with beam weapons that control everything from behind the scenes, both on Mars and on Earth! The book villain is a mere puppet to these scheming godlike beings in the movie. They are as superior to John Carter as a human to an ant. Any sense of satisfaction in the Hero's ultimate victory is hollowed out by the fact it amounts to absolutely NOTHING. The true villains are still in control, and there is NOTHING poor insignificant John Carter can do to even touch them. He can swing a sword at them, and they will only dematerialize and disappear like smoke. His muscles are useless against such a foe. He is not an Alpha Male rising to power on the Planet of War, he is a pathetic loser, a primitive subhuman, a ridiculous anachronistic fossil. Yes, we get the message. The male energy is dangerous, and must be suppressed. Alright. Perhaps it's even for the best. But then, WHY did you feel a need to make a movie about John Carter? Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    "Aside from a few inspired vistas and alien life-forms, John Carter is as deadly dull as its basso-voiced, beefcake slab of a star, Taylor Kitsch." - Keith Uhlich nailed the review.
  25. Mar 11, 2012
    Seeing such a low Metacritic score and reading some of the reviews almost made me not see it, was it not for the fact that I enjoy IMAX 3D and a friend of mine said he wanted to see it, so I went with him. I am a big sci fi fan, and I was worried that the action was going to be minimal and the story was going to be simplistic (Earth guy kicks butt on Mars). I was right about the action,Seeing such a low Metacritic score and reading some of the reviews almost made me not see it, was it not for the fact that I enjoy IMAX 3D and a friend of mine said he wanted to see it, so I went with him. I am a big sci fi fan, and I was worried that the action was going to be minimal and the story was going to be simplistic (Earth guy kicks butt on Mars). I was right about the action, but the action that was there was in support of the story when it needed it, and it worked really well - I'm glad they didn't go all Michael Bay. It did get slow at times, but I was never bored - it felt more like a drama or a mystery during these stretches. The plot was an interesting take on human/universal history, cerebral at times, which any good sci-fi movie is, and the introduction of a guy like Carter gave it a classic American-style hero flick. There are many more emotional (and romantic) subplots and I think they are worked in very effectively and dramatically (though sometimes a bit over-the-top, but I think they did this on purpose).

The only bad things I can say about it is that the actress that played the princess is not very good, the movie seemed to tackle too many things at once, and sometimes I got lost in who was who and why they were fighting, etc. (I kind of see they were going about human/alien politics and history now knowing the drive of the plot) . And while I think the movie explained it well enough, I would have enjoyed getting even more deep into the back-story. John Carter was surprisingly good and if you're a sci fi fan, I'd say go see it, and it's a no-brainer to see it in IMAX 3D.
  26. Mar 12, 2012
    Angels:
    Angels:
    This is not a great movie-but it is an entertaining one. The special effects were impressive-and I saw it in 2d- so 3d may have been even more eye-popping. I try not to criticize movies as derivative. I read somewhere, could have been my Bible, that there is nothing new under the sun. People complain that this is an Avatar rip off, yet Avatar was not exactly original either. If you saw that beautiful, cheerful (well the characters were funny) cartoon Ferngully, you were watching the blueprint for Avatar. So John Carter reminded me a bit of Star Wars, and the Tharks reminded me of Jar Jar Binks-but so what? Like my Bible say, (so we have known this for more than 2,000 years), there is nothing new under the sun. Anyway, the Tharks were much more appealing and more believable than Jar Jar. What is important, is that I enjoyed the movie, and my date enjoyed the movie. The princess was astonishingly attractive-almost as pretty as my date. (Yes, I am a lucky fella). John Carter was rugged, and good looking, like a dashing ex-confederate cavalry officer, but he did not have a southern accent, and did not project a lot of manly charm. I think a tighter plot, and sharper dialog would have helped the movie. The ending however was surprisingly good.
    Angels, blow my ship into safe harbor.
  27. Jul 29, 2012
    Not a great movie by any means and a few really rough performances. But there is something to be said for the grand scope and the pretty cool effects of the aliens. Would not recommend paying a whole lot for DVD/Blu-ray, but if you can find a copy for $5 or so you wouldn't be completely wasting your time. So much potential...but sadly that's all that remains for most of the film.
  28. Mar 12, 2012
    Well, I went this week to see â
  29. Jun 16, 2012
    I was sceptical about John Carter from the minute I saw the trailer. It looked like James Cameron and George Lucas had brainstormed a science-fiction film together. But then I saw Andrew Stanton's name in the credits and decided to give it a try. It wasn't great.- the acting was flawed, there was some choppy cinematography and the story didn't flow so well- but it was enjoyable. NotI was sceptical about John Carter from the minute I saw the trailer. It looked like James Cameron and George Lucas had brainstormed a science-fiction film together. But then I saw Andrew Stanton's name in the credits and decided to give it a try. It wasn't great.- the acting was flawed, there was some choppy cinematography and the story didn't flow so well- but it was enjoyable. Not perfect, but fun all the same. Expand
  30. Jul 5, 2012
    John Carter of Mars runs hot and cold. The martian CG was pretty decent but the leads weren't up to the task and the story dragged on at times, needed some more editing. The high-jumping thing that Carter does isn't very realistic either, especially his landings, so that detracts too. However the final 20-mins of the film recover nicely and provide for a decent overall experience, mildlyJohn Carter of Mars runs hot and cold. The martian CG was pretty decent but the leads weren't up to the task and the story dragged on at times, needed some more editing. The high-jumping thing that Carter does isn't very realistic either, especially his landings, so that detracts too. However the final 20-mins of the film recover nicely and provide for a decent overall experience, mildly recommended. Expand
  31. Jul 23, 2012
    John Carter has a good story and even though its a full 2 hours it never gets boring which is a real achievement these days. The setting and its aliens and red humans are interesting and most of the CGI is very good. It totally overdoes the jumping thing in the 1st half of the movie but it looks good and there are good battle scenes.
  32. Mar 11, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. Once again the so called professional critics miss the mark for the most part.A nice story line, and plenty of action! The special effects are good. I saw the 2-D version and that was fine for myself and teen aged son. It was easy to get into the story and escape from the outside world. Not nearly as anti-military as Avatar was, more like war sucks butI really enjoyed this movie. Once again the so called professional critics miss the mark for the most part.A nice story line, and plenty of action! The special effects are good. I saw the 2-D version and that was fine for myself and teen aged son. It was easy to get into the story and escape from the outside world. Not nearly as anti-military as Avatar was, more like war sucks but sometimes you have to fight for what you believe in, and for what is right! While leaving the Theater everyone was in a good mood and pretty much in agreement that the movie was well worth the price of admission. Expand
  33. Mar 12, 2012
    Saw the movie John Carter of Mars this weekend with my wife.
    Saw the movie John Carter of Mars this weekend with my wife.
    Edgar Rice Burroughs, who also authored the Tarzan novels and Lost World novels like Land that Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core introduced me to Sci Fi/pulp adventure reading. So I was looking forward to seeing his novel about Martian cannels, sky ships, Martian princesses, and 4 armed green Martians now that CGI could bring it off on the Big Screen. I was a little worried if they could bring it off. There had been some talk of the Mars curse for Movies but they sure did.
    She was surprised just how much she enjoyed the film. So good clean action flick with great CGI. They took some liberties with the story, but for Hollywood, they stayed very close to the spirit. I think ERB would have liked it.
  34. Mar 20, 2012
    Probably one of the more underrated films I've seen in a while. Sure it doesn't have A-List actors, wildly intense nature scenes, or the greatest plot, but I found the movie quite enjoyable and very underrated. While the plot is somewhat cliche (you got the tough reluctant hero with the hot damsel in distress), you can't help but enjoy the subtle fun this movie brings. I found theProbably one of the more underrated films I've seen in a while. Sure it doesn't have A-List actors, wildly intense nature scenes, or the greatest plot, but I found the movie quite enjoyable and very underrated. While the plot is somewhat cliche (you got the tough reluctant hero with the hot damsel in distress), you can't help but enjoy the subtle fun this movie brings. I found the portrayal of the characters to be very fitting; John, a rough southern confederate soldier going through a hard time after the loss of his family. The female lead was okay, script made her seem a little naggy. The CGI, while not as visually stunning as other movies, brought a believable Mars atmosphere (if it were inhabited by civilization). I think the critics looked at the price of the movie, and expected something on the level of Avatar. And because no one knew what John Carter was really about was probably why it didn't do as well in theaters. I'd even argue the Disney name might have hurt this movie. But I found this movie very enjoyable and encourage people to go out and see this movie if you are into the action/adventure genre. Expand
  35. Mar 11, 2012
    A+ Cowritten by Michael Chabon John Carter is the best sci fi movie in ages. Part steampunk, part Raiders of the Lost Ark, the action moves fast and the acting is surprisingly top notch. The story pays a nice homage to John Carter creator E R Burroughs in the frame story. The effects are as good as Avatar. A must see for sci-fi fans.
  36. Mar 11, 2012
    Had a lot of fun with this one, which I've been waiting for ever since I read the books as a young teenage boy. Don't listen to the naysayers, John Carter is a good time to be had at the movies. Good old school Sci-Fi adventure!
  37. Mar 12, 2012
    This is a very good movie! Fast paced plot, some damn good special effects, and there was some chemistry between the two stars. I absolutely liked it.
  38. Mar 12, 2012
    You can't go into this film expecting high art -- it's no Kurosawa or Bergman. You have to understand it as a variety of space opera written before science understood many things about the universe. In that light, the movie was engaging, with some pretty excellent side actors (notably Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West and James Purefoy) and decent stars. It should appeal to people who likedYou can't go into this film expecting high art -- it's no Kurosawa or Bergman. You have to understand it as a variety of space opera written before science understood many things about the universe. In that light, the movie was engaging, with some pretty excellent side actors (notably Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West and James Purefoy) and decent stars. It should appeal to people who liked Star Wars -- it has scenes no less ridiculous than that. It was unfairly panned by most critics in my opinion. Expand
  39. Mar 12, 2012
    A highly entertaining film that is definite worth for the money you pay. The story is pretty easy to follow though you have to be careful and be a little attentive. The names are tongue-twisting at times, so that's a bit of a problem. The CGI is fantastic, the aliens are superb and very expressive. The action is pretty well-done, though some of the action bits could have been extended. TheA highly entertaining film that is definite worth for the money you pay. The story is pretty easy to follow though you have to be careful and be a little attentive. The names are tongue-twisting at times, so that's a bit of a problem. The CGI is fantastic, the aliens are superb and very expressive. The action is pretty well-done, though some of the action bits could have been extended. The story moves along well enough though there are certain places where it may be a little confusing/unexplained. All in all, a fun, epic and dazzling film that made me laugh and immerse and enjoy like few films have been able to do in quite some time. Expand
  40. Mar 12, 2012
    Best movie of it's kind in years! This one is in the same class as STAR WARS and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. It's a science fiction masterpiece. It's an absolutely perfect movie.
  41. Mar 13, 2012
    The plot was nice but i think Andrew Stanton tried too hard to make the movies click but it didn't all in all i didn't enjoyed that movies that much & i was hoping the movie should be great its the least that you expect from a movie Directed by Andrew Stanton. Also in my point of view Taylor Kitsch did fit the role
  42. Mar 14, 2012
    The "official" Critics are too low for this one! Much love and care went into the making of this movie, and it shows.
    Despite some over-acting in the beginning scenes and quite some illogical/inconsistent "physical" stuff this is a total fun-ride and very worth to be watched on the big screen.
    Great visuals, good humour, well-done action and many nice little twists included, it's one of the best popcorn-movies I've seen in some years. *Not to forget: the score by Michael Giacchino is marvellous*
  43. Mar 14, 2012
    I am a fan of the original books and was looking forward to this film. I don't understand the low critic reviews, I really liked the movie. My only complaint would be that the character relationships didn't seem to develop enough for m tastes, so certain character motivations seem questionable at points. Overall good though! Effects, design etc all above par.
  44. Mar 14, 2012
    To see a diffferent view of John Carter and a detailed discussion of the actors and acting visit http://bobneilson.org/2012/03/14/john-carter-stillborn-franchise/
  45. Mar 14, 2012
    Interesting sci-fi concept but I feel they stretched out parts that were boring and shortened the parts where you expected action. The love story part feels tacked on and not well placed throughout the story. I'm betting a part two will come up, and I hope they improve the story just a bit. Also for note I saw it in 2d.
  46. Mar 20, 2012
    The film is exactly what you expect going in. There is a decent plot supplemented by gorgeous backgrounds and the occasional action scene. Shakespeare this is not, but is a genuine good time with its mixture of humor, scifi, and western themes.
  47. Mar 15, 2012
    I watched this movie in 3D and really liked the special effect and the kind of imagination the created. I liked the characters and aliens that were statistical. Really good movie and worth the money..
  48. Mar 15, 2012
    My wife and I had a great night at the movies with this film. I read the books when I was around twelve, was anticipating a great movie, and was not disappointed. I am surprised that some of the reviews lead one to believe that this film was influenced by "Star Wars" and "Avatar" when in reality those films were influenced by the John Carter series of books.
  49. Mar 16, 2012
    I went in on a 5$ Tuesday in my cites Century Theaters hoping wanting to see the biggest adventure blockbuster thus far this year. And Ieft quite satisfied I felt a Star Wars-ish vibe and enjoyed it. I saw some flaws that could've been simply fixed and saw things that probably used up the budget that could've been without and replaced with stronger storytelling. Overall I agree with someI went in on a 5$ Tuesday in my cites Century Theaters hoping wanting to see the biggest adventure blockbuster thus far this year. And Ieft quite satisfied I felt a Star Wars-ish vibe and enjoyed it. I saw some flaws that could've been simply fixed and saw things that probably used up the budget that could've been without and replaced with stronger storytelling. Overall I agree with some critics but am very disappointed of how terrible its currently doing in theaters because when the movie came to a close I was hoping for a sequel. Expand
  50. Mar 23, 2012
    A fun and fantastic adventure story. Wonderful, imaginative settings and characters, and it feels like a return to the fun romps of Star Wars and Indiana Jones- back when they were good!
  51. Mar 18, 2012
    Pretty good movie and the professional reviews seem to be unfair. It had some good humor - the Martian dog was very funny - it wasn't excessively violent - just an enjoyable popcorn movie. Certainly better than the Phantom Menace and similar to Flash Gordon.
  52. Mar 18, 2012
    I came into the movie without any expectations due to the fact that the marketing just didn't give me enough to have any. The marketing was so bad that I had to look up information on where the stories came from in the first place. I went to the IMAX 3D version and found it to be highly entertaining and well done. The IMAX 3D was good and aided the film without looking gimmicky.
  53. Mar 18, 2012
    Fantastic movie, I absolutely loved it. I have read the entire works of Edgar Rice Burroughs and I believe he
    would endorse this movie. The story was written in 1912 and the movie is a good rendition of the book.
    The 3D and digital effects and film technology available today have made it possible to bring to life this great story by one of the greatest writers of all time. Tarzan,
    great story by one of the greatest writers of all time. Tarzan, Journey to the Center of the Earth and other of
    his stories have been made into movies before. I sincerely hope sequels follow as there are more novels
    in the series.
  54. Mar 20, 2012
    I read the entire series of books as a kid and again recently when I heard this movie was being made. Had I not read the books I would have been 95% thrilled with this movie. The special effects were superb the storyline was kind of shaky at times but easy to follow.

Since I had read the books though I was a bit disappointed in how far from them the movie was. Small parts of the first three books were all thrown into one movie. Also certain parts seemed to be made up in order to modernize the movie for today's generation of action fans. Granted the books are older than me or most viewers of the movie. I would have preferred the movie stick closer to the books and see if keeping to traditional versions played out better on screen.
  55. Mar 20, 2012
    A wild ride, lots of eye candy 4 all, & kept u guessing, although u know the good guys'd win. Review at Google: john carter sleeplessinturtleisland
  56. Mar 21, 2012
    We saw the 3D version. It's a cross between Avatar, Star Wars...and Thor...I LOVED it!! IMDB rating 7.1 ....I think 7.5 is more like it.
    Don't listen to those who wanna give their "not so expert opinion" It was a great FAMILY movie!! I loved the story line....I loved the ending...I loved some of the characters...was never sold on any romantic connection between the leading man and woman...no spark...bit still...LOVED IT! :)
  57. Mar 22, 2012
    This is one of very few movies I actually enjoyed watching. It delivered for me even though I did not expect it to. I actually cared about the characters and enjoyed the story. Something that happens very rarely for me these days.
  58. Mar 24, 2012
    Although John Carter was directed by Andrew Stanton (the genius behind two of Pixar's greatest masterpieces: WALL-E and Finding Nemo), my expectations for the movie were pretty neutral, but once again Mr. Stanton has directed a good movie and exceeded my expectations. I agree with a lot of critics on the movie's pacing issues, but apart from that, the special effects are outstanding, theAlthough John Carter was directed by Andrew Stanton (the genius behind two of Pixar's greatest masterpieces: WALL-E and Finding Nemo), my expectations for the movie were pretty neutral, but once again Mr. Stanton has directed a good movie and exceeded my expectations. I agree with a lot of critics on the movie's pacing issues, but apart from that, the special effects are outstanding, the action scenes are tons of fun, and the story is complex and interesting. I give this movie an 8/10. It's not as great as WALL-E and Finding Nemo (those are BIG shoes to fill!), but John Carter is a thrilling, fun-filled sci-fi adventure that is definitely worth seeing. Expand
  59. May 27, 2012
    This was the best film I've seen this year! I never read the books but, for a movie, it was well done. What especially drove the movie for me was Deja Thoris played by Lynn Collins. It's hard to find movies where actors make you feel like they're really there, in a fantasy setting, but Lynn Collins performance was fantastic. After all is said and done, if the actors don't make you careThis was the best film I've seen this year! I never read the books but, for a movie, it was well done. What especially drove the movie for me was Deja Thoris played by Lynn Collins. It's hard to find movies where actors make you feel like they're really there, in a fantasy setting, but Lynn Collins performance was fantastic. After all is said and done, if the actors don't make you care about what is happening in their given situation, but also do it in a way that is believable, the movie simply doesn't work. IMO this is Lynn Collins film to stardom. John Carter, played by Taylor Kitsch performance was mediocre. I figure they probably cast him for his looks more than anything. Dialogue wasn't the greatest but it was good. Visual effects; fantastic. Story was surprisingly decent. I like how the director, Andrew Stanton, did not make the story feel rushed by adding small details like John Carter repeatedly trying to escape, which also served to build character revelation. I also like how, even though this was a science fiction movie with wild aliens and bizarre settings, it's a love story at heart, which anyone can relate to.
    Soundtrack; I thought it was kind of repetitive, like they were trying to make a memorable tune, but it was good.
    So, compared to other big hits like The Avengers, which was good but relied primarily on visual effects, this film is the best I've seen so far this year.
  60. Mar 26, 2012
    Overall a good movie. It follows the cliche movie plot, good guy ,meets girl, defeats bad guy, wins girl, but does it a unique way that I found entertaining. I only remember this was in 3D because I paid an extra $3 for the glasses.
  61. May 27, 2013
    Some time has passed since I watched John Carter and I certainly hold no grudges against it. It wasn't the complete write-off I was expecting, although it is certainly not without it's flaws. I think I preferred it to Battleship, although I can't think of what I must have done to deserve being forced to choose between either.

There are times during John Carter where you could really be

There are times during John Carter where you could really be watching either Indiana Jones or Star Wars (Episodes I-III) such is the old fashioned, character-led, gung-ho adventure and sci-fi nature of the film. However, despite it being an adventure film of massive budget, I struggle to recall any action set pieces that took place, with the exception of the picture below, despite knowing that there must have been some. This cannot be a good recollection for an action blockbuster.

I am not familiar with any of Burrough's stories and the screenplay certainly didn't help matters. Although the screenplay doesn't assume any knowledge of the character and the universe he belongs to and I appreciate that the writers are working with the original material, they made a seemingly simple plot far too complicated through the method of delivery. Surprisingly, and the surprise is relative, the script is only slightly clich├ęd in places and didn't stink to high heaven in the way Battleship's did. I did really like the context of the story being told from a young Burrough's perspective and the twist at the end was unexpected and satisfying.

My biggest gripe with the acting, and being such a massive fan of The Wire it pains me to do this, was with Dominic West. I thought he almost looked embarrassed to be on screen in most scenes and delivered one of the hammiest performances I think I've ever seen. Sorry Dominic. Lyn Collins was a vibrant presence and I felt Taylor Kitsch did enough in shouldering the responsibilities of the lead role, considering the film's inherent flaws. He certainly can't be held accountable for the films failings at the box office.
  62. Mar 27, 2012
    I am going to give this movie love because it deserves it. It also should be getting the box office numbers that The Hunger Games is currently getting. John Carter is a better film. It was a fun, entertaining time. The story, the direction, the acting, the effects work were all great. If you love SciFi, you should go and see it right now. It is possible that because of the horrible titleI am going to give this movie love because it deserves it. It also should be getting the box office numbers that The Hunger Games is currently getting. John Carter is a better film. It was a fun, entertaining time. The story, the direction, the acting, the effects work were all great. If you love SciFi, you should go and see it right now. It is possible that because of the horrible title and the horrible trailers this movie didn't do nowhere close to as well as it should have done. Also, who are there 50-70 year old men that are movie critics these days? Don't listen to them. Expand
  63. Mar 29, 2012
    Es decepcionante ver como la adaptacion de un libro que inspiro tantas grandes peliculas, se queda corta en todos los aspectos. John Carter podra tener unos buenos efectos especiales, pero eso es todo. Le falta muchisimo para poder ser lo que uno espera. Tiene un grave problema de secuencia y la banda sonora es obsoleta. Una de las peliculas mas decepcionantes que he visto.
  64. Mar 29, 2012
    I remember when I first saw the trailer I was like who the F is John Carter? Unfortunately Disney didn't do much to inform me. So one day I decided to do some google research for myself. Since the movie looked good and I love sci-fi, I was slightly interested. I soon found out that this was actually a 100 year old book series that was written by the same dude that wrote Tarzan. Edgar RiceI remember when I first saw the trailer I was like who the F is John Carter? Unfortunately Disney didn't do much to inform me. So one day I decided to do some google research for myself. Since the movie looked good and I love sci-fi, I was slightly interested. I soon found out that this was actually a 100 year old book series that was written by the same dude that wrote Tarzan. Edgar Rice Burroughs. And most sci-fi films including Star Wars and Avatar are ripoffs of these original stories. The more I learned about it (on my own, no thanks to Disney marketing) the more I was interested to see it. I still hated the title though. I figured if I said it, others would also say; Who the F is John Carter? I finally went to see it, and I just loved it. My favorite stand out performance was Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris. Sexy, smart and strong. I'm really happy I didn't heed negative reviews and went to see it. It inspired me to read the original books (100% FREE by the way on Kindle store). Expand
  65. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Expand
  66. Apr 6, 2012
    In this opinion John Carter turn out to be a hell of movie that I have seen. Despite the films disappointment by Disney, bad reviews from the critics, and the box office in North America, John Carter was stronger in overseas box office . the screenplay was okay(details need more to the story.), Andrew Stanton did a good job for directing the film, Taylor Kitsch did better in thisIn this opinion John Carter turn out to be a hell of movie that I have seen. Despite the films disappointment by Disney, bad reviews from the critics, and the box office in North America, John Carter was stronger in overseas box office . the screenplay was okay(details need more to the story.), Andrew Stanton did a good job for directing the film, Taylor Kitsch did better in this film(maybe his best breakthrough role or his next upcoming film Battleship.). Lynn Collins did also better in this film too(a breakthrough role for her.) Willem Dafoe is a well know actor, this is his by far best work he ever did. I hope they go on doing the next book to Edgar Rice Burroughs masterpiece series: the Gods of Mars. John Carter is one of my best films I have seen so far. Expand
  67. Apr 5, 2012
    What the critics missed was that this was not the wall-to-wall action-fest that Disney promoted -- it was a romantic sci-fi saga that remained true to the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels AND had wonderfully stirring action in support of that. What I will remember most is the absolutely flawless pacing of the entire movie from beginning to end.
  68. Apr 6, 2012
    I loved this movie, it had great action, great CG and a lot more romance than any of the trailers showed. The ending was well thought out and it really brought the film to a wonderful conclusion that left you wanting to see the next movie... which I hope they make!
  69. Apr 8, 2012
    I avoided JOHN CARTER for awhile for two reasons: 1.) I loved the books as a kid and I didn't want to ruin my memories of them, and; 2.) the trailers and the marketing made the movie look awful. I finally plopped down my 12 bucks to see it in 3-D and ... SURPRISE! ... I did not feel gypped. In fact, I actually liked it. Sure, the movie has its problems and, yes, Taylor Kitsch doesn'tI avoided JOHN CARTER for awhile for two reasons: 1.) I loved the books as a kid and I didn't want to ruin my memories of them, and; 2.) the trailers and the marketing made the movie look awful. I finally plopped down my 12 bucks to see it in 3-D and ... SURPRISE! ... I did not feel gypped. In fact, I actually liked it. Sure, the movie has its problems and, yes, Taylor Kitsch doesn't have a whole lot of charisma, but it's rippin' good entertainment. Expand
  70. Apr 12, 2012
    this film to my expectation was a complete and great way to show the mixing of star wars with avatar. its cgi and the essence of religion and creativity with the transporting of humans to different planets was a smart move. this film really had me on the edge of my seat. making me think "what next"and for the first time in my rating history with films this is one im giving a 9.5. its athis film to my expectation was a complete and great way to show the mixing of star wars with avatar. its cgi and the essence of religion and creativity with the transporting of humans to different planets was a smart move. this film really had me on the edge of my seat. making me think "what next"and for the first time in my rating history with films this is one im giving a 9.5. its a great film and recommend it to the lovers of Disney and others who are interested to see what others say...well this is one of them :D enjoy. Expand
  71. Apr 13, 2012
    Once upon a time, the folks at Disney wanted to make a movie that combines the qualities of Westerns, War Epics, and Science Fiction. 250 million dollars later, and we are introduced to the vast and zealous vision of â
  72. Apr 27, 2012
    An extraordinary movie!! I was overwhelmed by this visually beautiful epic! I was immersed in the story from the very beginning 'til the end...then went to see it again a few days later. Perfect casting with Taylor Kitsch as John Carter and Lynn Collins as Dejah....two more beautiful people would be hard to find!
  73. May 15, 2012
    Not bad,

But for a film encompassing the character John Carter, it is ultimately depressingly mediocre. Good Points; - Awesome visuals; - John Carter's, pseudo-super powers (It's not a spoiler, it's in the trailer); - Interesting character dynamics; - Intricate world; Bad Points - Goddamn DISNEY-ISMS! (a cute animal does not a good movie make!) - Ridiculous dialog at points; - Lack of
    Not bad,

Good Points;
    - Awesome visuals;
    - John Carter's, pseudo-super powers (It's not a spoiler, it's in the trailer);
    - Interesting character dynamics;
    - Intricate world;

Bad Points
    - Goddamn DISNEY-ISMS! (a cute animal does not a good movie make!)
    - Ridiculous dialog at points;
    - Lack of story coherence (feels like The Phantom Menace)

Overall;
    Don't waste your time
  74. May 20, 2012
    John Carter was an interesting take on Burroughs' book. The film had the right amount of action, science fiction, and save the world talk. The only thing that could have been a little more consolidated was how many times John would finally realize he wanted to stop thinking about himself. I think there were four different "I need to change" speeches in the movie. Other than that, the filmJohn Carter was an interesting take on Burroughs' book. The film had the right amount of action, science fiction, and save the world talk. The only thing that could have been a little more consolidated was how many times John would finally realize he wanted to stop thinking about himself. I think there were four different "I need to change" speeches in the movie. Other than that, the film was entertaining. Sadly, Disney lost the bank on this movie as the chance of seeing John Carter again in future films is pretty slim. Expand
  75. May 24, 2012
    Based on a book series considered to be the father of modern day space operas (from Star Trek, to Star Wars, to Avatar), John Carter had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, and ironically, it was vastly inferior to the very films that it inspired. With a story this traditional and recycled, it was important that filmmakers made extra efforts to give the movie a voice of its own, theyBased on a book series considered to be the father of modern day space operas (from Star Trek, to Star Wars, to Avatar), John Carter had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, and ironically, it was vastly inferior to the very films that it inspired. With a story this traditional and recycled, it was important that filmmakers made extra efforts to give the movie a voice of its own, they however failed to do so. Everything on the screen has been done before, and better. Coupled with cheesy visual effects (especially considering the size of its budget) and clumsy direction, the film had very little to offer. Some of the action sequences (particularly the white ape scene) and it's pulpy qualities were fun and the characters were very easy to root for, but in the end the film misses, bringing its epic premise down to mediocrity. Expand
  76. May 25, 2012
    An entertaining film, sound and visual effects very good, the story could have been better but was not the case, Andrew Stanton has made a film acceptable.
    The best: the end, just waiting ... well done.
    The bad: love (typical Disney) the same cliche as ever ...
  77. Jul 21, 2012
    John Carter had some nice battle scenes and a good plot, but throughout the movie, you just felt like something was missing. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but i just didn't think it was as good as i expected. But if you are at a Red-box machine on a boring Friday afternoon and you need something to watch, I would most definitely recommend John Carter. By the way, I heard that theJohn Carter had some nice battle scenes and a good plot, but throughout the movie, you just felt like something was missing. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but i just didn't think it was as good as i expected. But if you are at a Red-box machine on a boring Friday afternoon and you need something to watch, I would most definitely recommend John Carter. By the way, I heard that the sequels that were planned got cancelled. How unfortunate. Expand
  78. Jun 7, 2012
    This movie grossed two hundred eighty million worldwide by June 2012. This is old fashioned Saturday afternoon science fiction fantasy story telling at its best. Maybe after we all buy the DVD, Disney will start making the sequels. Have "Critics" forgotten how to have fun at the movies.
  79. Nov 7, 2014
    Having heard the reviews about this movie, I went in with expectations below sea level. Now it was better than what I expected, in that it wasn't absolutely awful, having said that, it wasn't good either. Really this film falls down due to a charisma less leading performance, a silly plot which makes less than no sense, and really it's just terribly dull. Although Mark Strong, as always-Having heard the reviews about this movie, I went in with expectations below sea level. Now it was better than what I expected, in that it wasn't absolutely awful, having said that, it wasn't good either. Really this film falls down due to a charisma less leading performance, a silly plot which makes less than no sense, and really it's just terribly dull. Although Mark Strong, as always- is a fantastic screen presence, and those big white monsters fellows are quite impressive. Expand
  80. Jun 10, 2012
    I think this is one of the greatest movie by Disney's Studio, I don't know why it was so undervalued in box office... what a pity! Edgar Rice Burroughs created an amazing story with charismatic characters in an imaginative world; Disney takes these element and mixes them into a daydreaming movie with an excellent cast! Hope that a sequel will be released soon 4 fans!
  81. Jun 11, 2012
    Disney's marketing department almost killed this 250m$ film by animation director Andrew Stanton with their incompetence. It's based on the book by Edgar Rice Burroughs, has tons of computer animation and doesn't look too bad, but I didn't find the story overly interesting or original and the 'long jumps' Carter can make, look fake (the physics don't compute) and the green aliens look tooDisney's marketing department almost killed this 250m$ film by animation director Andrew Stanton with their incompetence. It's based on the book by Edgar Rice Burroughs, has tons of computer animation and doesn't look too bad, but I didn't find the story overly interesting or original and the 'long jumps' Carter can make, look fake (the physics don't compute) and the green aliens look too much like creatures from Attack of the Clones. Taylor Kitch (who also played in 209 m$ flop 'Battleship') does an ok acting job (they dug him up from a TV series apparently), but the supporting cast (mostly Britisch actors) is luckily somewhat better. From a quarter billion dollar scifi flick you would expect it to be at least epic, but this film is nothing more than a sunday afternoon snack, so don't feel bad if you missed in at the cinemas :) Expand
  82. Jun 24, 2012
    John Carter is silly. Those are the four defining words for this mega theatrical flop. The story was very corresponding to both big hit cinema films in Avatar, and the Star Wars sage. you been there, done that, but seen better. The movie starts off well, and keeps my mind on the movie with a couple humorous scenes, and a good action sequence. Then, the movie picks up even more when JohnJohn Carter is silly. Those are the four defining words for this mega theatrical flop. The story was very corresponding to both big hit cinema films in Avatar, and the Star Wars sage. you been there, done that, but seen better. The movie starts off well, and keeps my mind on the movie with a couple humorous scenes, and a good action sequence. Then, the movie picks up even more when John Carter is first transported to Mars. You then learn that he has a special gift that allows him to jump extremely high. All of this was very intrigueing to me, and I was defiantly enjoying the movie, but them the movie catapults straight down. The plot becomes full of holes with uneven pacing. John Carter became lifeless with mediocre action scenes and added characters with maps depth. yes, the movie has amazing visual effects that are outstanding, and very good looking set pieces, and with the acting being bi-able, with Taylor Kitsch playing a decent role. the movie becomes very forgetting. John Carter had potential, but with a lot of flaws and not a lot of rights, John Carter became a below average syfi adventure. Expand
  83. Jun 16, 2012
    John Carter:
    John Carter:
    I too am puzzled by the bad reviews of this movie. It wasn't until I heard Blair Butler mention the comic book that I got interested in this series. I got the comic and it was a good appetizer. I redboxed the blu-ray, I really enjoyed this movie. I am super into science fiction/fantasy, I consider myself a bit of a film buff. This movie was believable, I enjoyed Taylor Kitsch's portrayal of Carter, the mars natives were cool looking. Yes I will agree that this movie has some cheesy parts and a lot of sci-fi/ fantasy cliches, but its no jar jar binks by a long shot.
  84. Jun 18, 2012
    John Carter is an old fashioned and extremely fun escape from earth. I went in expecting very little and was completely surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The CGI work is great and fun alongside a charismatic cast that gives in fully to the big goofy romp. I heard the film bombed at the box office and a large sum of money was lost due to some advertising issues. That is such aJohn Carter is an old fashioned and extremely fun escape from earth. I went in expecting very little and was completely surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The CGI work is great and fun alongside a charismatic cast that gives in fully to the big goofy romp. I heard the film bombed at the box office and a large sum of money was lost due to some advertising issues. That is such a shame, considering John Carter does reach some great moments. I think a lot of people will take a liking to Disney's latest visual feast and it deserves more than it was dealt. Expand
  85. Nov 2, 2012
    While this movie is nothing special it is certainly entertaining. One should not go to the theater expecting some masterpiece but simply a fun and simple movie. If posed with the choice to see this movie again, I would likely not watch it due to the fact that while it is not confusing, it's also extremely simple.
  86. Jun 28, 2012
    It is obvious to say that John Carter's visuals are simply awesome and its action scenes are fun to watch, but I would still say it suffers enough from other factors to not completely recommend it. It has a very convoluted plot and some unmemorable - but not bad - performances. Andrew Stanton seemed like he could make the foray to directing live action, but he doesn't seem to notice thatIt is obvious to say that John Carter's visuals are simply awesome and its action scenes are fun to watch, but I would still say it suffers enough from other factors to not completely recommend it. It has a very convoluted plot and some unmemorable - but not bad - performances. Andrew Stanton seemed like he could make the foray to directing live action, but he doesn't seem to notice that there is an enduring tone of seriousness throughout that takes the fun away from the picture. This is what can be said for most studio releases these days, so compared to the norm, John Carter isn't actually half bad, its just the other half isn't magnificent enough to sustain the gigantic budget supporting the film. But in the end the question remains - would I recommend John Carter? Eehhhhhh . . . I guess so. Expand
  87. Jul 10, 2012
    Taylor Kitsch is a bad actor. But besides that, John Carter is actually quite good. The plot has some pacing issues, and the movie can come off as a cheesy cliché at times, but sci-fi buffs should really try this one out for themselves.
  88. Jul 18, 2012
    Wow, did this movie look beautiful. "John Carter" is a fun adventure movie that'll keep you entertained. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to follow and drags a little towards the middle.
  89. Jul 22, 2012
    Thia movie is brilliant! I absolutely LOVED it! The action was incredible, the effects were gorgeous and the story was absolutely amazing! Please, please, PLEASE, help support this fantastic movie and go see it RIGHT NOW!
  90. MFC
    Aug 27, 2012
    If you liked the original Star Wars as a kid I can't see you not liking this. I have watched it more than once already and will watch it again. I was bored by Avatar but loved this.
  91. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's great to look at. Disney does that well. You gotta give it up for them on this aspect. The original score is good as well. On the other hand, despite the reasonably good acting, the characters were simply not very likable to me. Story-wise, it feels familiar, which is generally never good in a sci-fi/fantasy movie, and it lacks a bigger differentiation between the people from Zodanga and the people from Helium, as well as a background on how the war started. I felt bored a couple of times watching it. Overall, this movie is just passable. It had a lot of potential, though Expand
  92. Jan 14, 2013
    I loved this movie. I cant believe people say bad things about yet hpe up movies like The Hunger Games. If you like movies that take you to another world this is a must watch. I actualy watched it a couple months ago and have yet to watch a movie at it`s level. I don`t care what other people think but wish more people liked it so that could make another one.
  93. Jan 13, 2013
    Having read the John Carter series of books as a boy and loving them, I was somewhat hesitant to see this movie. My hesitation was unfounded because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great visual escape into a world I had known and loved as a boy. The effects were wonderful and the acting was very good. I highly recommend this movie.
  94. Feb 10, 2013
    I'm really confused by all the negative reviews of this movie. I too avoided watching the film due to all the poor press. I should have remembered that most "professional" critics also panned "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Anyway, I finally watched it and I'm glad I did!

First off, the main character isn't an idiot, which is a refreshing change from so many blockbusters. He doesn't have to get mad to win, which is another Hollywood cliche I hate. The characters are fun and cleanly drawn, and I'm guessing that's largely due to the screenplay by Michael Chabon. The acting is excellent, the special effects are great, the scenery and design of the world is beautiful and a bit baroque.The only really negative thing I can think of is that it's a bit long, so I can see how it might be tough to watch in the theater if the seats aren't comfy. Watching it at home was a real pleasure, and I didn't pay attention to the time, I was surprised when it was over.

So do yourself a favor and watch this movie. It's an old school adventure story and I think it's a good one.
  95. Feb 14, 2013
    I read the book in the 50 's as a boy, in fact all of Ned's books. I really like the movie simply because of the subject matter, however the cutting room floor and finances is probably why so much is missing. I would have left the original opening scenes i think. It requires reading the book to understand some of the transitions and several key chapters from the book are missing whichI read the book in the 50 's as a boy, in fact all of Ned's books. I really like the movie simply because of the subject matter, however the cutting room floor and finances is probably why so much is missing. I would have left the original opening scenes i think. It requires reading the book to understand some of the transitions and several key chapters from the book are missing which would help with context and connectivity. I hope Disney comes back and produces Warlord of Mars as a sequel. Expand
  96. Apr 30, 2013
    John Carter looks great one of the more visually pleasing movies of the year, but the story is pointless and by the end you just don't care what side wins or loses.
  97. Jun 29, 2013
    Really wasnt good. Boring at times lengthy and kinda a terrible plot. And disney wonders why this movie didnt make much in theaters. It just wasnt good.
  98. Jun 13, 2013
    The movie was given to me as a gift for Father's Day and I was a little nervous wondering if I would really like it. I thought I would like it after seeing all of the trailers for the movies and many people online who said they liked it have enjoyed the movie for the same reasons I thought I would. They said it was a fun adventure that had some great special effects. However, it receivedThe movie was given to me as a gift for Father's Day and I was a little nervous wondering if I would really like it. I thought I would like it after seeing all of the trailers for the movies and many people online who said they liked it have enjoyed the movie for the same reasons I thought I would. They said it was a fun adventure that had some great special effects. However, it received mixed reviews upon release and it did not do well at the box office. After viewing it I have to say I really liked it!

I am not going to go into great detail about the movie but I will say what I did and didn't like about the movie. In the beginning there is a short prolog that tells the story of the conflicts between the civilizations on Mars, known as Barsoom to the natives. I wish that part was just a little clearer because for a while it was confusing for me to understand who was who and what was going on. I also think the early part of the movie before John Carter arrives on Mars could have fleshed out his character a little better. However, once you are on Mars and the confusion clears up the movie is very enjoyable with good character development with both John Carter and Dejah Thoris, a Princess of Mars who must enter into an arranged marriage in order to resolve the global conflicts. When John Carter arrives on Mars he is captured by a very tall green skinned multi-limb race of humanoids called Tharks. This warrior tribe eventually assists John Carter in his aid to save Dejah Thoris. John Carter's character development is an essential part of the story as his motivation goes from wanting to leave Mars and return to Earth to falling in love with Dejah Thoris and wanting to rescue her and resolve the planet's civil discord.

I found as the movie goes along it gets better and better and really becomes an exciting action and adventure movie. I don't want to put too many spoilers in my review but the movie did hit a slight snag for me toward the end. Spoiler alert for the next part if you haven't seen the film: When John Carter gets transported back to earth against his will, his journey to return to Mars seems rushed. It also resolves some of the confusion form the opening of the movie, which is in reality setting up the ending. Its not that this part of the movie was bad, it wasn't, its just that coming so late in the movie the pace of it seems hurried.

I wanted to make a comment about leading actor Taylor Kitsch as John Carter. There have been some complaints that he has been miscast because he doesn't portray a larger than life persona one would want in a warrior hero. To some extent that is true. His screen presence is not the best. Yet in the framework of the film it works. He is supposed to be just an average guy that is placed in extraordinary circumstances. When John Carter defeats the Giant white gorillas and Tal Hajus you finally see the larger than life warrior emerge. As I stated that is later in the film. All in all Taylor Kitsch is fine for the role of John Carter.

Although I really enjoyed the movie it does have some flaws, which all movies do, and I do not think that it is bad at all. The saddest part for me is that the ending sets us up for a sequel and the movie really cries for one but with the poor performance at the box office we will probably never see one.
  99. Jun 26, 2013
    worth $250 million No way.

these movies as well. What's upset me is budget. What a waste of money. Not a worth a money. All these movies are not even good, horrible for me. Many lower budget movies are better, why do they need that big budget to make. What makes me more upset is there will be a sequel. Some of these movie didn't made enough money to match their budget. Then still
    worth $250 million No way.

these movies as well.
    What's upset me is budget. What a waste of money. Not a worth a money. All these movies are not even good, horrible for me. Many lower budget movies are better, why do they need that big budget to make. What makes me more upset is there will be a sequel. Some of these movie didn't made enough money to match their budget. Then still there will be a sequel.Some movies made a lot of money, but still it had many bad review. It will be make a movie for a money or for viewers.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
    G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
    Iron Man 2
    Tron: Legacy
    How to Train Your Dragon Wreck-It Ralph Cowboys & Aliens Sahara Van Helsing Poseidon Shrek the Third Inception Robin Hood Alexander The Lord of the Rings trilogy The Matrix trilogy The Twilight trilogy
  100. Jul 21, 2013
    'John Carter' is brilliant, and I'd love to see a sequel. The cast is perfect, the plot, pace, cinematography, CGI, it's all very good. What it is, is a swashbuckling, Errol Flynn-like melodrama set in space, as the author intended. It is, dare I say 'traditional' story telling, in turns funny, exciting, dramatic, and easily as good as any Spielberg or Lucas production. What it isn't, is'John Carter' is brilliant, and I'd love to see a sequel. The cast is perfect, the plot, pace, cinematography, CGI, it's all very good. What it is, is a swashbuckling, Errol Flynn-like melodrama set in space, as the author intended. It is, dare I say 'traditional' story telling, in turns funny, exciting, dramatic, and easily as good as any Spielberg or Lucas production. What it isn't, is the kind of film deemed interesting to the critics, because they've unfairly panned it. I even shed a tear at the end, I was that caught-up in this fantastic, old school space adventure. Highly recommended. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 19, 2012
    Burroughs invented a primal fiction: a man winds up on another planet, and has to find his way among strange creatures. Sticking to that fable, which was central to "Avatar," might have saved John Carter, but Stanton loses its appealing simplicity in too many battles, too many creatures, too many redundant episodes. [26 March 2012, p.108]
  2. Reviewed by: Jonathan Crocker
    Mar 18, 2012
    Get your ass to Mars? A handsome new sci-fi adventure that feels rather familiar. Enjoyable enough while it lasts, John Carter is big on ambition and disappointingly short on action.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 18, 2012
    Dejah, with her seen-it-all-before smirk, is not a very sympathetic heroine, and Kitsch is stolid and dull. And as for the red planet, the answer to David Bowie's famous question is no. What a sadd'ning bore it is.