7.0

1. Dec 6, 2014
    It's a Great movie. Do not understand why this film failed at a level so great. The performances were good, had a good script, was well directed and the end was only average.
  2. Nov 7, 2014
    Having heard the reviews about this movie, I went in with expectations below sea level. Now it was better than what I expected, in that it wasn't absolutely awful, having said that, it wasn't good either. Really this film falls down due to a charisma less leading performance, a silly plot which makes less than no sense, and really it's just terribly dull. Although Mark Strong, as always-Having heard the reviews about this movie, I went in with expectations below sea level. Now it was better than what I expected, in that it wasn't absolutely awful, having said that, it wasn't good either. Really this film falls down due to a charisma less leading performance, a silly plot which makes less than no sense, and really it's just terribly dull. Although Mark Strong, as always- is a fantastic screen presence, and those big white monsters fellows are quite impressive. Expand
  3. May 31, 2014
    John Carter is actually not that bad of a film when you think about it sure it may have not lived up to the hype but that was because we had already seen pretty everything the movie had to offer also the fact that they placed the movie between "The Lorax" and "The Hunger Games" which was a completely stupid idea still though i had an enjoyable time watching the movie and wouldn't mind aJohn Carter is actually not that bad of a film when you think about it sure it may have not lived up to the hype but that was because we had already seen pretty everything the movie had to offer also the fact that they placed the movie between "The Lorax" and "The Hunger Games" which was a completely stupid idea still though i had an enjoyable time watching the movie and wouldn't mind a sequel but that will never happen at least not for a really really long time. I thought the cast all did solid performances Taylor Kitsch wasn't so annoying in this movie as he has been in others, Lynn Collins was so freaking gorgeous with all her outfits and those damn blue eyes so gorgeous, i totally forgot that
    Bryan Cranston was in this and i thought he did a good for how little he was in it, Willem Dafoe does more great voice work guy has a amazing voice, the only actor i did really care for was Mark Strong. The CGI was spectacular, the action was good, and the story was decent, it was also cool to see it go from a western to a full blown sci-fi extravaganza. What i didn't like about the movie is that it seemed crowded what i mean is like the first hour of the movie felt like at least an hour and a half because of how much stuff had already happened then it pretty much does it throughout the second half but not as bad that's what really kills the movie.

Overall i give it a 7.0
  4. Apr 1, 2014
    This was an awesome movie. The writing is brilliant, the acting is exactly right, and the action is good to great. The reason critics did not like it is because they are too busy watching bad Pixar talking animal movies. If you want to know where Dune, Start Wars, and tons of other sci-fi classics come from, see this movie. And then read the comics from the 70s.
  5. Oct 7, 2013
    An extremely fine comedy... wait what? It wasn't? It was supposed to be a sci-fi adventure film? My bad!
    In that case, this movie fails completely as that genre. It is so mind-numbingly ridiculous; the movie ends up being funny for the wrong reasons. Because of that, I'll give the movie some credit but overall:
    If you're going to watch it a 2nd or 3rd time, treat it like a comedy; don't
    If you're going to watch it a 2nd or 3rd time, treat it like a comedy; don't take it too seriously.
  6. Aug 12, 2013
    Far from perfect but still manages to entertain. "John Carter" starts off unbelievably slow and almost as dry, barren, and lifeless as Mars itself. But it does manage to quickly pick up the pace. Featuring fantastic special effects and an enjoyable, if sometimes stale, plot. The action is satisfying and the cast great. Other than the slow opening this movies flaws are with a predictableFar from perfect but still manages to entertain. "John Carter" starts off unbelievably slow and almost as dry, barren, and lifeless as Mars itself. But it does manage to quickly pick up the pace. Featuring fantastic special effects and an enjoyable, if sometimes stale, plot. The action is satisfying and the cast great. Other than the slow opening this movies flaws are with a predictable romance and the main characters lame backstory. But these flaws don't manage to ruin the movie when it's firing on all cylinders. With humorous moments and great action scenes the movie succeeds at being an enjoyable experience, even if it's not what I would call a great movie. The main character's powers are what gives the action scenes an edge. Watching "John Carter" leap through the air like Marvel's "Incredible Hulk" is constantly entertaining, and put the feats of enhanced strength put the new Superman movie to shame. So overall "John Carter" is an enjoyable experience, but it does have some issues holding back from greatness. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2013
    hammy plot tired predictable this is why mars died as a habitable planet. Sci fi takes another body shot bad acting performance yet again from Taylor kitsch.
  8. Jul 21, 2013
    'John Carter' is brilliant, and I'd love to see a sequel. The cast is perfect, the plot, pace, cinematography, CGI, it's all very good. What it is, is a swashbuckling, Errol Flynn-like melodrama set in space, as the author intended. It is, dare I say 'traditional' story telling, in turns funny, exciting, dramatic, and easily as good as any Spielberg or Lucas production. What it isn't, is'John Carter' is brilliant, and I'd love to see a sequel. The cast is perfect, the plot, pace, cinematography, CGI, it's all very good. What it is, is a swashbuckling, Errol Flynn-like melodrama set in space, as the author intended. It is, dare I say 'traditional' story telling, in turns funny, exciting, dramatic, and easily as good as any Spielberg or Lucas production. What it isn't, is the kind of film deemed interesting to the critics, because they've unfairly panned it. I even shed a tear at the end, I was that caught-up in this fantastic, old school space adventure. Highly recommended. Expand
  9. Jul 6, 2013
    I just gave John Carter a 10 but after months of reflection. I grew up reading the Princess of Mars and in fact all of the books in the Barsoom series. They were transformative. I remember picking up the first one, probably out of order, as a child in the school library. I read about the Green Man from Mars and my life changed. So, I approached this film with huge skepticism and watched itI just gave John Carter a 10 but after months of reflection. I grew up reading the Princess of Mars and in fact all of the books in the Barsoom series. They were transformative. I remember picking up the first one, probably out of order, as a child in the school library. I read about the Green Man from Mars and my life changed. So, I approached this film with huge skepticism and watched it with an eye jaundiced by what I perceived to be the Disney-fication of it. Meanwhile, I read about the marketing mess, the high budget, the overreach and the staleness (these were the critics and the Hollywood blogs). But no other film, short of perhaps one of the early Star Wars films, has touched me as when John Carter at the end whispers the incantation followed by "Barsoom". My God this was a romantic story. Not perfect, but on a scale of 1 to 10, it touched my heart and soul (or certainly the heart and soul of the little girl who first imagined the distant worlds and the fiery Princess and the brave John Carter and his friend, the Green Man Tars Tarkas) at the level of 10. Barsoom. Expand
  10. Jun 29, 2013
    Really wasnt good. Boring at times lengthy and kinda a terrible plot. And disney wonders why this movie didnt make much in theaters. It just wasnt good.
  11. Jun 26, 2013
    worth $250 million No way.

these movies as well. What's upset me is budget. What a waste of money. Not a worth a money. All these movies are not even good, horrible for me. Many lower budget movies are better, why do they need that big budget to make. What makes me more upset is there will be a sequel. Some of these movie didn't made enough money to match their budget. Then still
    worth $250 million No way.

these movies as well.
    What's upset me is budget. What a waste of money. Not a worth a money. All these movies are not even good, horrible for me. Many lower budget movies are better, why do they need that big budget to make. What makes me more upset is there will be a sequel. Some of these movie didn't made enough money to match their budget. Then still there will be a sequel.Some movies made a lot of money, but still it had many bad review. It will be make a movie for a money or for viewers.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
    G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
    Iron Man 2
    Tron: Legacy
    How to Train Your Dragon Wreck-It Ralph Cowboys & Aliens Sahara Van Helsing Poseidon Shrek the Third Inception Robin Hood Alexander The Lord of the Rings trilogy The Matrix trilogy The Twilight trilogy
  12. Jun 13, 2013
    The movie was given to me as a gift for Father's Day and I was a little nervous wondering if I would really like it. I thought I would like it after seeing all of the trailers for the movies and many people online who said they liked it have enjoyed the movie for the same reasons I thought I would. They said it was a fun adventure that had some great special effects. However, it receivedThe movie was given to me as a gift for Father's Day and I was a little nervous wondering if I would really like it. I thought I would like it after seeing all of the trailers for the movies and many people online who said they liked it have enjoyed the movie for the same reasons I thought I would. They said it was a fun adventure that had some great special effects. However, it received mixed reviews upon release and it did not do well at the box office. After viewing it I have to say I really liked it!

I am not going to go into great detail about the movie but I will say what I did and didn't like about the movie. In the beginning there is a short prolog that tells the story of the conflicts between the civilizations on Mars, known as Barsoom to the natives. I wish that part was just a little clearer because for a while it was confusing for me to understand who was who and what was going on. I also think the early part of the movie before John Carter arrives on Mars could have fleshed out his character a little better. However, once you are on Mars and the confusion clears up the movie is very enjoyable with good character development with both John Carter and Dejah Thoris, a Princess of Mars who must enter into an arranged marriage in order to resolve the global conflicts. When John Carter arrives on Mars he is captured by a very tall green skinned multi-limb race of humanoids called Tharks. This warrior tribe eventually assists John Carter in his aid to save Dejah Thoris. John Carter's character development is an essential part of the story as his motivation goes from wanting to leave Mars and return to Earth to falling in love with Dejah Thoris and wanting to rescue her and resolve the planet's civil discord.

I found as the movie goes along it gets better and better and really becomes an exciting action and adventure movie. I don't want to put too many spoilers in my review but the movie did hit a slight snag for me toward the end. Spoiler alert for the next part if you haven't seen the film: When John Carter gets transported back to earth against his will, his journey to return to Mars seems rushed. It also resolves some of the confusion form the opening of the movie, which is in reality setting up the ending. Its not that this part of the movie was bad, it wasn't, its just that coming so late in the movie the pace of it seems hurried.

I wanted to make a comment about leading actor Taylor Kitsch as John Carter. There have been some complaints that he has been miscast because he doesn't portray a larger than life persona one would want in a warrior hero. To some extent that is true. His screen presence is not the best. Yet in the framework of the film it works. He is supposed to be just an average guy that is placed in extraordinary circumstances. When John Carter defeats the Giant white gorillas and Tal Hajus you finally see the larger than life warrior emerge. As I stated that is later in the film. All in all Taylor Kitsch is fine for the role of John Carter.

Although I really enjoyed the movie it does have some flaws, which all movies do, and I do not think that it is bad at all. The saddest part for me is that the ending sets us up for a sequel and the movie really cries for one but with the poor performance at the box office we will probably never see one.
  13. May 27, 2013
    Some time has passed since I watched John Carter and I certainly hold no grudges against it. It wasn't the complete write-off I was expecting, although it is certainly not without it's flaws. I think I preferred it to Battleship, although I can't think of what I must have done to deserve being forced to choose between either.

There are times during John Carter where you could really be

There are times during John Carter where you could really be watching either Indiana Jones or Star Wars (Episodes I-III) such is the old fashioned, character-led, gung-ho adventure and sci-fi nature of the film. However, despite it being an adventure film of massive budget, I struggle to recall any action set pieces that took place, with the exception of the picture below, despite knowing that there must have been some. This cannot be a good recollection for an action blockbuster.

I am not familiar with any of Burrough's stories and the screenplay certainly didn't help matters. Although the screenplay doesn't assume any knowledge of the character and the universe he belongs to and I appreciate that the writers are working with the original material, they made a seemingly simple plot far too complicated through the method of delivery. Surprisingly, and the surprise is relative, the script is only slightly clichéd in places and didn't stink to high heaven in the way Battleship's did. I did really like the context of the story being told from a young Burrough's perspective and the twist at the end was unexpected and satisfying.

My biggest gripe with the acting, and being such a massive fan of The Wire it pains me to do this, was with Dominic West. I thought he almost looked embarrassed to be on screen in most scenes and delivered one of the hammiest performances I think I've ever seen. Sorry Dominic. Lyn Collins was a vibrant presence and I felt Taylor Kitsch did enough in shouldering the responsibilities of the lead role, considering the film's inherent flaws. He certainly can't be held accountable for the films failings at the box office.
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    John Carter looks great one of the more visually pleasing movies of the year, but the story is pointless and by the end you just don't care what side wins or loses.
  15. Apr 7, 2013
    I had no idea what to expect going into this movie. Now, I've got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was allot of fun. A really novel idea with some great effects and interesting characters. But if I have to gripe, I would say that the story feels like it was condensed a bit. This almost feels like they took three movies and condensed it down into one. I felt like thereI had no idea what to expect going into this movie. Now, I've got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was allot of fun. A really novel idea with some great effects and interesting characters. But if I have to gripe, I would say that the story feels like it was condensed a bit. This almost feels like they took three movies and condensed it down into one. I felt like there could have been more. I feel this movie would have worked better if fleshed out a bit more and perhaps done as a TV series or even a mini-series.

Overall:
    John Carter is an enjoyable movie that just feels a bit incomplete. Otherwise still fun to watch.
  16. Apr 5, 2013
    Beyond bad. Where the heck did they dig up Taylor Kitsch to star in this I saw him in 'Battleship' which bombed as well, and he was one of the main reasons. He has absolutely NO charisma, and that in turn makes each and every one of his lines...laughable. This entire movie is a nauseating mess, where one scene is worse than the next. Anyone who sits through this deserves a medal of honor.
  17. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's great to look at. Disney does that well. You gotta give it up for them on this aspect. The original score is good as well. On the other hand, despite the reasonably good acting, the characters were simply not very likable to me. Story-wise, it feels familiar, which is generally never good in a sci-fi/fantasy movie, and it lacks a bigger differentiation between the people from Zodanga and the people from Helium, as well as a background on how the war started. I felt bored a couple of times watching it. Overall, this movie is just passable. It had a lot of potential, though Expand
  18. Mar 2, 2013
    I think much of the negative press this film got was because of the enormous amount of money it cost to make. And yes, I can see it has extremely high production values with many exciting battle/chase/fight scenes all using very high quality CGI. I admit I have never read the Edgar Rice Burroughs ‘John Carter of Mars’ books but I’m sure those that have will have got a lot more out of thisI think much of the negative press this film got was because of the enormous amount of money it cost to make. And yes, I can see it has extremely high production values with many exciting battle/chase/fight scenes all using very high quality CGI. I admit I have never read the Edgar Rice Burroughs ‘John Carter of Mars’ books but I’m sure those that have will have got a lot more out of this film than me. It’s an exciting adventure that (I’m afraid) has a storyline that doesn’t quite hold up today. Yes, it’s visually quite stunning in places with some very exciting action sequences along the way but the plot is a tad too over-complicated, particularly for a younger audience, and the main premise that Carter can jump is, quite frankly, very weak. So, does it deserve the vitriolic reception it received? I have to say no; it is a better film than many have made out. Was it worth spending that amount of money on making it? Again, no; although it’s not as bad a film as many have said; I still find it hard to justify the amount of money spent on it. Would I watch it again? Probably not; but I’m glad I did see it the one time.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (just watch it once)

My score: 5.8/10
  19. Feb 23, 2013
    John Carter is a majestic adventure movie, reminiscent of many of those titles of the 70's and 80's that so many of us remember from our childhoods and loved because we all wished we'd end up in an adventure like that. It is never too violent, there is never a dull moment (despite the movie lasting 2 hours and 12 minutes) and it is beyond me why anyone would rate this movie with a 6 orJohn Carter is a majestic adventure movie, reminiscent of many of those titles of the 70's and 80's that so many of us remember from our childhoods and loved because we all wished we'd end up in an adventure like that. It is never too violent, there is never a dull moment (despite the movie lasting 2 hours and 12 minutes) and it is beyond me why anyone would rate this movie with a 6 or less. The acting, CGI and story are all top-notch. Apparently it is based on a book but who cares? The movie is what it is; a masterpiece of cinematized storytelling. It reminded me of Star Wars and Dune. Readers of Storm (Don Lawrence) will get a huge kick out of this movie and those who enjoyed the movie should waste no time discovering Don Lawrence's brilliant work. Expand
  20. Feb 14, 2013
    I read the book in the 50 's as a boy, in fact all of Ned's books. I really like the movie simply because of the subject matter, however the cutting room floor and finances is probably why so much is missing. I would have left the original opening scenes i think. It requires reading the book to understand some of the transitions and several key chapters from the book are missing whichI read the book in the 50 's as a boy, in fact all of Ned's books. I really like the movie simply because of the subject matter, however the cutting room floor and finances is probably why so much is missing. I would have left the original opening scenes i think. It requires reading the book to understand some of the transitions and several key chapters from the book are missing which would help with context and connectivity. I hope Disney comes back and produces Warlord of Mars as a sequel. Expand
  21. Feb 10, 2013
    I'm really confused by all the negative reviews of this movie. I too avoided watching the film due to all the poor press. I should have remembered that most "professional" critics also panned "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Anyway, I finally watched it and I'm glad I did!

First off, the main character isn't an idiot, which is a refreshing change from so many blockbusters. He doesn't have to get mad to win, which is another Hollywood cliche I hate. The characters are fun and cleanly drawn, and I'm guessing that's largely due to the screenplay by Michael Chabon. The acting is excellent, the special effects are great, the scenery and design of the world is beautiful and a bit baroque.The only really negative thing I can think of is that it's a bit long, so I can see how it might be tough to watch in the theater if the seats aren't comfy. Watching it at home was a real pleasure, and I didn't pay attention to the time, I was surprised when it was over.

So do yourself a favor and watch this movie. It's an old school adventure story and I think it's a good one.
  22. Feb 2, 2013
    John Carter is an unjustly dismissed sci-fi masterpiece...grossly unjustified. What was wrong with it? Specifically, what was wrong? Pacing? It was intense!!! Coming from someone who uses this word sparingly, this movie was "EPIC". I am almost certain that time will enable objectivity, and objectivity will redeem it from the stinging taint slapped on it due to a predictably simplisticJohn Carter is an unjustly dismissed sci-fi masterpiece...grossly unjustified. What was wrong with it? Specifically, what was wrong? Pacing? It was intense!!! Coming from someone who uses this word sparingly, this movie was "EPIC". I am almost certain that time will enable objectivity, and objectivity will redeem it from the stinging taint slapped on it due to a predictably simplistic aversion to what is "mainstream" by film critics. If a studio other than Disney could have created the same film with half the budget it would have been heralded as a cinematic achievement within the sci-fi genre, but its budget was viewed as ostentatious and its production studio as childish, so it became "cool" to hate on it before anyone had even seen it. Who makes something and how much they pay to have it made has nothing to due with the quality of what is actually produced, it may be indicative of quality or lack thereof, but the final product speaks for itself. Reviews of John Carter tell us more about film critics than the critics told us about the film. It was practically perfect. "Incomprehensible plotting"??? They laid the groundwork for the presumed sequels by deliberately leaving a few questions unanswered, which I hope they still make and answer because I loved this first one! Mars was epic, and then in the end we are reminded that the story began on Earth and the film ends stronger than I could have hoped for! An excellent story masterfully told on screen. Expand
  23. Jan 22, 2013
    "John Carter" is just a mess. It's story is incompetently told, the characterization is ludicrous, the motivation of the different fractions diffuse, and the casting is all wrong. Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins are very pretty, but lack a whole lot of charisma. And using the original terminology of the novels just adds to the confusion. I'm all into challenging movies, but this is just"John Carter" is just a mess. It's story is incompetently told, the characterization is ludicrous, the motivation of the different fractions diffuse, and the casting is all wrong. Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins are very pretty, but lack a whole lot of charisma. And using the original terminology of the novels just adds to the confusion. I'm all into challenging movies, but this is just bad, stupid writing, and there are more silly scenes than in some comedies. "John Carter" is just a huge bore. Expand
  24. Jan 19, 2013
    I was very skeptical of this movie, I had read the plot of the books online and it sounded just too hard to accept. Then the commercials did not really shine--they focused so much on action. My father told me that the movie was great, watch it, and basically shut up on the criticisms til I had seen it. He was totally right. The richest parts of the film are the internal conflicts ofI was very skeptical of this movie, I had read the plot of the books online and it sounded just too hard to accept. Then the commercials did not really shine--they focused so much on action. My father told me that the movie was great, watch it, and basically shut up on the criticisms til I had seen it. He was totally right. The richest parts of the film are the internal conflicts of the main character. The flashbacks do a beautiful job of explaining so much in mere seconds. Combine that with the civil war and lost causes and bam...great stuff. The suspension of disbelief was quite easy and about 15 minutes in it was easy to accept this view of the solar system and forget all about rovers on Mars and what we scientifically know. The final 15 minutes are a brilliant, simply brilliant ending with some twists that I won't ruin for you. A must see! Expand
  25. Jan 14, 2013
    I loved this movie. I cant believe people say bad things about yet hpe up movies like The Hunger Games. If you like movies that take you to another world this is a must watch. I actualy watched it a couple months ago and have yet to watch a movie at it`s level. I don`t care what other people think but wish more people liked it so that could make another one.
  26. Jan 13, 2013
    Having read the John Carter series of books as a boy and loving them, I was somewhat hesitant to see this movie. My hesitation was unfounded because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great visual escape into a world I had known and loved as a boy. The effects were wonderful and the acting was very good. I highly recommend this movie.
  27. Dec 30, 2012
    They really don't make them like this any more. Enjoyable from start to finish, those familiar with the books will undoubtedly get more from it - many plebs find names like Dejah Thoris and Tars Tarkas difficult to remember, credit to the film makers; John Carter doesn't appear to be motivated as a money-maker, isn't diminished for broad appeal and doesn't insult the intelligence. TheThey really don't make them like this any more. Enjoyable from start to finish, those familiar with the books will undoubtedly get more from it - many plebs find names like Dejah Thoris and Tars Tarkas difficult to remember, credit to the film makers; John Carter doesn't appear to be motivated as a money-maker, isn't diminished for broad appeal and doesn't insult the intelligence. The story is modified slightly from the books (for those familiar with them) but is still, instantly recognizable. Reminds of cult classics like Star Wars, Flash, Dune, Willow, etc. The work of ERB predates them all. Expand
  28. Dec 5, 2012
    John Carter has some amazing visual elements that are some of the best I have ever seen; the cgi is absolutely fantastic and certainly makes the film easy to watch. It's easy to see where the money was spent on this project. However, it suffers considerably due to major pacing problems, making the film feel uneven. Thus resulting in a film that, unfortunately, is disappointing and forgettable.
  29. Nov 2, 2012
    While this movie is nothing special it is certainly entertaining. One should not go to the theater expecting some masterpiece but simply a fun and simple movie. If posed with the choice to see this movie again, I would likely not watch it due to the fact that while it is not confusing, it's also extremely simple.
  30. Oct 26, 2012
    Typical storyline. But quite interesting... It reminded me of Star Wars a lot. (John Carter was written decades before Star Wars)
  31. Oct 10, 2012
    I'll have to side with the critics on this one: This movie is a failure. It failed, because the people who made it didn't understand the source material. Not the director, not the screen writer, not the creature designer, not the camera man, not the casting director. The movie is based on a 1912 novel that is utter crap in a literary sense, but that WORKS, because it tickles our mostI'll have to side with the critics on this one: This movie is a failure. It failed, because the people who made it didn't understand the source material. Not the director, not the screen writer, not the creature designer, not the camera man, not the casting director. The movie is based on a 1912 novel that is utter crap in a literary sense, but that WORKS, because it tickles our most primal nerves. The hero in the book kills all the bad guys and saves the Damsel in Distress. That's the full extent of his characterization. The original John Carter is the unstoppable force made flesh. He is the quintessential Alpha Man that faces horrific foes of fangs, claws and tusks with nothing but sinew, muscle and an iron will. And before he even gets to the real action on Mars, he kills a bunch of hapless Native Americans loitering in his way. There's nothing sentimental or apologetic about it, them being raging savages after all, wholly deserving of the white man's lead and steel! That's the sentiment of the original novel anyway. If you for some reason wish to make a movie of such a book, for Christ's sake make it GRITTY! Make it brutal and menacing! Put the camera close to the hero's sweaty and blood-stained muscles! Make it a masterful piece of shameless macho porn dammit! But the creators just didn't get the basic fact: if you sanitize a classic raw macho porn novel to modern sensitivities, and put a brooding metro-sexual underwear model in the lead, nothing of value remains. The novel may be crap, but it has ONE redeeming quality - it reconnects the reader with the powerful untamed animus lurking under his civilized surface. Yes, I said HIS, because such works are for the boys exclusively! Strip all that away, add a little feminist/multicultural/care-bear sensitivity to the mix, and you get "John Carter" the Disney Family Movie. This John Carter doesn't want to fight, he doesn't want to tell good guys from bad, because aren't we all the same, can't we all just get along? He meets Martian Tharks, immense beast-like humanoids, formidable foes with four muscular arms and tusks they use to rip open their victim's belly (in the book), here reduced to confused skinny wimps with weak degenerated limbs and sad/scared looks on their faces. He saves the beautiful and sexy Damsel in Distress (in the book), here reduced to a not all that sexy Xena-like strong-woman who doesn't require saving in the least. When she finally (!) shows some leg, she saps all erotic charge from the moment by lamenting how "vulgar" her dress is, and that it's not in her character to wear such things. Gosh, my repressed inner Alpha Male really wants to come out of hiding and be this woman's Hero. Not. She's the stuff teenage boy's dreams are made of. Not. The overall feeling this movie gives me, is that the creators absolutely fear and loathe the masculine. They despise male strength. It's as if they do everything in their might to emasculate the poor John Carter. It's not just that they sanitize him into respecting Native American Culture, they actively sabotage his machoness. They pick camera angles that make him seem small and insignificant. They turn his helpless damsel into a formidable warrior. They even insert new super-villains to the story! This is perhaps the biggest crime of all. The Mars of the novel is a barbarian world, Mars is the Planet of WAR! The conflict is about the good guys fighting the bad guys, who are just like the good guys, only BAD. But in the movie, a mysterious race of super-villains are added, shape-shifting and teleporting immortal techno-mages with beam weapons that control everything from behind the scenes, both on Mars and on Earth! The book villain is a mere puppet to these scheming godlike beings in the movie. They are as superior to John Carter as a human to an ant. Any sense of satisfaction in the Hero's ultimate victory is hollowed out by the fact it amounts to absolutely NOTHING. The true villains are still in control, and there is NOTHING poor insignificant John Carter can do to even touch them. He can swing a sword at them, and they will only dematerialize and disappear like smoke. His muscles are useless against such a foe. He is not an Alpha Male rising to power on the Planet of War, he is a pathetic loser, a primitive subhuman, a ridiculous anachronistic fossil. Yes, we get the message. The male energy is dangerous, and must be suppressed. Alright. Perhaps it's even for the best. But then, WHY did you feel a need to make a movie about John Carter? Expand
  32. Sep 23, 2012
    John Carter is a very imaginative yet B rate movie that calls itself science fiction. Though the special effects are wonderful, the characters are all one-sided, the plot is very simple and predictable, and it blatantly ignores many scientific facts that even an elementary school student should know. However, the movie can be very creative at times, with dazzling scenery and intricateJohn Carter is a very imaginative yet B rate movie that calls itself science fiction. Though the special effects are wonderful, the characters are all one-sided, the plot is very simple and predictable, and it blatantly ignores many scientific facts that even an elementary school student should know. However, the movie can be very creative at times, with dazzling scenery and intricate landscapes, as well as creatures. I get the impression that this would be what Mars would be like if it actually did have an atmosphere.

But now we get to the really big HOWEVERS. Good graphics and special effects the movie might have. HOWEVER, as mentioned before, the movie's characters are all very simple and do not evolve hardly at all over the course of the movie. The protagonist (John Carter, as if you wouldn't have guessed) is your standard action hero with lots of brawn and lots of bravery but little brain. The princess of the City of Helium (I kid you not, one of the cities is named Helium) is your standard damsel in distress. Though she does participate in some action scenes, she is never shown to be capable of really defending herself, thus forcing upon her the mantle of "one who is good only for being rescued". And the support characters (of which there are a disappointing few) are hardly elaborated on very much, and I didn't feel as though I really knew any of them very well at all by the movie's end.

Meanwhle, the plot is very simple. I won't go into any detail beyond this, since doing so would require me giving out spoilers. However, I will say that there aren't really any twists to the story, least of all during the climax (which especially surprises me). There are some points where it seems like a twist might be about to happen, but then it never really does. It seemed like the writers were always holding back, and even when it came time for them to actually take the plot to a new level, they decided not to for some reason.

And now we reach the largest HOWEVER. The flaws mentioned above are bad. But of all of them, the obvious illiteracy that the writers had regarding scientific concepts is the worst. Because this is a Disney movie, I can forgive a few messups regarding realism, even for a "science fiction" themed movie (it is really complete fantasy, but I digress). HOWEVER, there are certain gaffs in the movie that were so horribly bad that it just made me angry. Perhaps the most obvious example is that, of course, Mars doesn't actually have an atmosphere. The movie tries to dispel this in the very beginning by saying something like "that's what they say, but it's not true". Like hell it isn't!. Movie, are you trying to tell me that in your universe, astronomers for hundreds of years have misinterpreted multitudes of evidence to the contrary? Give viewers a break, they deserve better treatment than this! I could go on about this example, but I don't think I need to. Anyways, the next huge realism gaff is how John Carter can jump to insane heights, with the only explanation being that Mars has lesser gravity than Earth. While this may be true, it is only about 38% the gravity of earth. So that means that Carter should only be able to jump 1/0.38 (about 2.6) times higher on Mars then he can on Earth. Perhaps about 10 or 15 feet, assuming that he's somewhat of an athlete. But a skyscraper's height? Hell no! And what makes this particular gaff even worse is the effect for jumping. Now, to be fair, most of the effects in this movie are great. But the one for Carter's jumping is the one exception. He could not more obviously be on a rope, during the early scenes. And later on, during the battle scenes, it just looks completely ridiculous. Lesser gravity means that you fall slower. It doesn't mean that you increase your height but fall at the same speed. That's just stupid. Now, you're probably thinking: knowing that this is a Disney movie, why am I being so particular about realism? After all, none of the other Disney movies are realistic at all, right? So why get worked up about this one? The reason is actually very simple: it's not because I expected the movie to be realistic (I didn't, of course). It's because it shows how little the producers actually know about science. The stuff they get wrong in this movie is the kind of stuff you learn about in middle and high school (even elementary school, for some cases). And the fact that the producers got this stuff wrong honestly makes me wonder about their IQs. Taking some liberties with realism is okay. But pretending that physics doesn't exist is just careless.

To sum up, John Carter is actually quite fun, very imaginative, but also quite simple (and stupid, in some places), as well as underwhelming as far as the plot is concerned. I give it a D-.
  33. Sep 3, 2012
    Disney's John Carter seemly doesn't have many original ideas, but what you've got to remember is that the source material the film is based on pre-dates all the movies this film appears to be referencing - it's a bit of a paradox really. You feel like you've seen it all before, but everything is executed extremely well. Visually, John Carter is superb, with some of the best sci-fi actionDisney's John Carter seemly doesn't have many original ideas, but what you've got to remember is that the source material the film is based on pre-dates all the movies this film appears to be referencing - it's a bit of a paradox really. You feel like you've seen it all before, but everything is executed extremely well. Visually, John Carter is superb, with some of the best sci-fi action since the Star Wars prequels. Taylor Kitsch's star is on the rise, but perhaps he isn't the best actor to lead a film, as excepting one notable scene that makes very effective use of juxtaposition, he is rarely able to demonstrate much emotional depth to the titular Carter, but he can certainly handle the physical demands of the role. Lynn Collins manages to emotionally ground the whole film and Mark Strong makes another effectively creepy villain. Unfortunately the usually brilliant Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy play pretty much exactly the same characters they did in HBO's Rome, and Dominic West's performance is pedestrian at best. The film makes use of some hugely convenient plot devices to avoid slowing the story, the script is so-so, and many of the key characters' motivations remain annoyingly unclear throughout. I'm also yet to decide whether the framing device for the main story on Mars works or not - is it clever and unusual, or just tonally misjudged? You end John Carter with a feeling that you've only just scratched the surface of this rich world, and I sincerely hope that the film makes enough money to justify a second installment, as a great sequel has been set up, a sequel which wouldn't require anywhere near as much clunky exposition, and in which we might be allowed to finally learn what on Earth (or Mars) Mark Strong's villain is trying to achieve. Expand
  34. MFC
    Aug 27, 2012
    If you liked the original Star Wars as a kid I can't see you not liking this. I have watched it more than once already and will watch it again. I was bored by Avatar but loved this.
  35. Aug 21, 2012
    I wasn't sure what to expect from this film but i enjoyed what i saw. it has a very throw back feel to it with modern efects . i kept thinking of the old flash gordon movie with all the queen music in it . it also reminded me of many other older films. it feels very simple and i would not say thats a bad thing in general since this is disney after all they are trying to make this familyI wasn't sure what to expect from this film but i enjoyed what i saw. it has a very throw back feel to it with modern efects . i kept thinking of the old flash gordon movie with all the queen music in it . it also reminded me of many other older films. it feels very simple and i would not say thats a bad thing in general since this is disney after all they are trying to make this family friendly . i know my 6 year old nephew really enjoyed it and over all i thought it was a pretty solid film . if i had to complain it would be the dry acting and weak dilouge in the film and also the pacing is abit slugish. over all though worth a see especially if you have kids who like SciFi films. Expand
  36. Aug 1, 2012
    "John Carter" is pretty much your average enjoy-action summer blockbuster where only striking visuals and big-scope fight scenes matter.
  37. Jul 29, 2012
    Not a great movie by any means and a few really rough performances. But there is something to be said for the grand scope and the pretty cool effects of the aliens. Would not recommend paying a whole lot for DVD/Blu-ray, but if you can find a copy for $5 or so you wouldn't be completely wasting your time. So much potential...but sadly that's all that remains for most of the film.
  38. Jul 23, 2012
    John Carter has a good story and even though its a full 2 hours it never gets boring which is a real achievement these days. The setting and its aliens and red humans are interesting and most of the CGI is very good. It totally overdoes the jumping thing in the 1st half of the movie but it looks good and there are good battle scenes.
  39. Jul 22, 2012
    Thia movie is brilliant! I absolutely LOVED it! The action was incredible, the effects were gorgeous and the story was absolutely amazing! Please, please, PLEASE, help support this fantastic movie and go see it RIGHT NOW!
  40. Jul 21, 2012
    John Carter had some nice battle scenes and a good plot, but throughout the movie, you just felt like something was missing. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but i just didn't think it was as good as i expected. But if you are at a Red-box machine on a boring Friday afternoon and you need something to watch, I would most definitely recommend John Carter. By the way, I heard that theJohn Carter had some nice battle scenes and a good plot, but throughout the movie, you just felt like something was missing. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but i just didn't think it was as good as i expected. But if you are at a Red-box machine on a boring Friday afternoon and you need something to watch, I would most definitely recommend John Carter. By the way, I heard that the sequels that were planned got cancelled. How unfortunate. Expand
  41. Jul 18, 2012
    Wow, did this movie look beautiful. "John Carter" is a fun adventure movie that'll keep you entertained. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to follow and drags a little towards the middle.
  42. Jul 10, 2012
    Taylor Kitsch is a bad actor. But besides that, John Carter is actually quite good. The plot has some pacing issues, and the movie can come off as a cheesy cliché at times, but sci-fi buffs should really try this one out for themselves.
  43. Jul 9, 2012
    This movie deserved better attention than it got in theaters. It is on par with the top Star Wars and Avatar graphics in terms of special effects. Although the story is dumb overall it is fun and a romance at that. I loved the movie, had lots of fun watching it, and when I showed it on my 3D TV to people who were wanting to watch a movie they LOVED it. Actually they were completely blownThis movie deserved better attention than it got in theaters. It is on par with the top Star Wars and Avatar graphics in terms of special effects. Although the story is dumb overall it is fun and a romance at that. I loved the movie, had lots of fun watching it, and when I showed it on my 3D TV to people who were wanting to watch a movie they LOVED it. Actually they were completely blown away by the movie and wondering why they didn't ever hear of it before. It is block buster in all aspects and it deserves a sequel. Expand
  44. Jul 5, 2012
    John Carter of Mars runs hot and cold. The martian CG was pretty decent but the leads weren't up to the task and the story dragged on at times, needed some more editing. The high-jumping thing that Carter does isn't very realistic either, especially his landings, so that detracts too. However the final 20-mins of the film recover nicely and provide for a decent overall experience, mildlyJohn Carter of Mars runs hot and cold. The martian CG was pretty decent but the leads weren't up to the task and the story dragged on at times, needed some more editing. The high-jumping thing that Carter does isn't very realistic either, especially his landings, so that detracts too. However the final 20-mins of the film recover nicely and provide for a decent overall experience, mildly recommended. Expand
  45. Jul 4, 2012
    My roommate took this film home last night and I decided to watch it with him despite hearing that the film had flopped at the box office. Well, I wish I hadn't. Someone's cooking the books, too, on the average user score of 7.1 average. Total fantasy. I found myself laughing at the serious parts, groaning at the "funny" parts and yawning most of the rest of the time. How can a movieMy roommate took this film home last night and I decided to watch it with him despite hearing that the film had flopped at the box office. Well, I wish I hadn't. Someone's cooking the books, too, on the average user score of 7.1 average. Total fantasy. I found myself laughing at the serious parts, groaning at the "funny" parts and yawning most of the rest of the time. How can a movie be so predictable and yet take so long to get where it's going? A horrible combination. The one surprise? That Disney made an ultra-violet action film devoid of any moral or inspirational message. I kept thinking to myself, "Disney made this?" Biggest disappointment? Taylor Kitsch. I really like this guy in Friday Night Lights, but he's just not ready for a feature film. Do yourself and favor and rent something else. Expand
  46. Jun 28, 2012
    It is obvious to say that John Carter's visuals are simply awesome and its action scenes are fun to watch, but I would still say it suffers enough from other factors to not completely recommend it. It has a very convoluted plot and some unmemorable - but not bad - performances. Andrew Stanton seemed like he could make the foray to directing live action, but he doesn't seem to notice thatIt is obvious to say that John Carter's visuals are simply awesome and its action scenes are fun to watch, but I would still say it suffers enough from other factors to not completely recommend it. It has a very convoluted plot and some unmemorable - but not bad - performances. Andrew Stanton seemed like he could make the foray to directing live action, but he doesn't seem to notice that there is an enduring tone of seriousness throughout that takes the fun away from the picture. This is what can be said for most studio releases these days, so compared to the norm, John Carter isn't actually half bad, its just the other half isn't magnificent enough to sustain the gigantic budget supporting the film. But in the end the question remains - would I recommend John Carter? Eehhhhhh . . . I guess so. Expand
  47. Jun 28, 2012
    A good made movie that showcases some really good effects and action as well as not forgetting emotion in its plot, Jhon Carter is a good experiance that will suprise a lot of people looking for a blast of fresh air in story telling and action, though its length and pacing could be a bit better the movie entertains nonetheless
  48. Jun 27, 2012
    Looking at the critic reviews, the Positive and Average far outnumber the Negative ones so I really do not understand why was this received negatively. I think $175 mil box office sounds successful only until you consider what it cost to make. However this film has just started to come out World Wide on Blu-Ray and Dvd and I think it will still be a great success. I saw this film withLooking at the critic reviews, the Positive and Average far outnumber the Negative ones so I really do not understand why was this received negatively. I think $175 mil box office sounds successful only until you consider what it cost to make. However this film has just started to come out World Wide on Blu-Ray and Dvd and I think it will still be a great success. I saw this film with wife and children and everybody loved it. I thought it was very entertaining movie and Taylor Kitch was good but it was the gorgeous Lynn Collins, the Wolverine squeeze, who stole the show. James Purefoy, of the sadly US shunned Solomon Kane, was also great. A great fantasy adventure movie, not for the Woody Allen fans, probably. Expand
  49. Jun 24, 2012
    John Carter is silly. Those are the four defining words for this mega theatrical flop. The story was very corresponding to both big hit cinema films in Avatar, and the Star Wars sage. you been there, done that, but seen better. The movie starts off well, and keeps my mind on the movie with a couple humorous scenes, and a good action sequence. Then, the movie picks up even more when JohnJohn Carter is silly. Those are the four defining words for this mega theatrical flop. The story was very corresponding to both big hit cinema films in Avatar, and the Star Wars sage. you been there, done that, but seen better. The movie starts off well, and keeps my mind on the movie with a couple humorous scenes, and a good action sequence. Then, the movie picks up even more when John Carter is first transported to Mars. You then learn that he has a special gift that allows him to jump extremely high. All of this was very intrigueing to me, and I was defiantly enjoying the movie, but them the movie catapults straight down. The plot becomes full of holes with uneven pacing. John Carter became lifeless with mediocre action scenes and added characters with maps depth. yes, the movie has amazing visual effects that are outstanding, and very good looking set pieces, and with the acting being bi-able, with Taylor Kitsch playing a decent role. the movie becomes very forgetting. John Carter had potential, but with a lot of flaws and not a lot of rights, John Carter became a below average syfi adventure. Expand
  50. Jun 18, 2012
    John Carter is an old fashioned and extremely fun escape from earth. I went in expecting very little and was completely surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The CGI work is great and fun alongside a charismatic cast that gives in fully to the big goofy romp. I heard the film bombed at the box office and a large sum of money was lost due to some advertising issues. That is such aJohn Carter is an old fashioned and extremely fun escape from earth. I went in expecting very little and was completely surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The CGI work is great and fun alongside a charismatic cast that gives in fully to the big goofy romp. I heard the film bombed at the box office and a large sum of money was lost due to some advertising issues. That is such a shame, considering John Carter does reach some great moments. I think a lot of people will take a liking to Disney's latest visual feast and it deserves more than it was dealt. Expand
  51. Jun 17, 2012
    Little more than a collection of puerile fantasy 'bits' cobbled together, with relentless, falsely dramatic muzak. So pretty much, the usual recipe for almost every other sci-fi / superhero movie that's emerged from the bowels of Hollywood over the last decade or so. Add in some truly uncharismatic lead acting talent (sic) and eradicate all traces of plausibility and humility.... etLittle more than a collection of puerile fantasy 'bits' cobbled together, with relentless, falsely dramatic muzak. So pretty much, the usual recipe for almost every other sci-fi / superhero movie that's emerged from the bowels of Hollywood over the last decade or so. Add in some truly uncharismatic lead acting talent (sic) and eradicate all traces of plausibility and humility.... et voilà!! Expand
  52. Jun 16, 2012
    I was sceptical about John Carter from the minute I saw the trailer. It looked like James Cameron and George Lucas had brainstormed a science-fiction film together. But then I saw Andrew Stanton's name in the credits and decided to give it a try. It wasn't great.- the acting was flawed, there was some choppy cinematography and the story didn't flow so well- but it was enjoyable. NotI was sceptical about John Carter from the minute I saw the trailer. It looked like James Cameron and George Lucas had brainstormed a science-fiction film together. But then I saw Andrew Stanton's name in the credits and decided to give it a try. It wasn't great.- the acting was flawed, there was some choppy cinematography and the story didn't flow so well- but it was enjoyable. Not perfect, but fun all the same. Expand
  53. Jun 16, 2012
    John Carter:
    John Carter:
    I too am puzzled by the bad reviews of this movie. It wasn't until I heard Blair Butler mention the comic book that I got interested in this series. I got the comic and it was a good appetizer. I redboxed the blu-ray, I really enjoyed this movie. I am super into science fiction/fantasy, I consider myself a bit of a film buff. This movie was believable, I enjoyed Taylor Kitsch's portrayal of Carter, the mars natives were cool looking. Yes I will agree that this movie has some cheesy parts and a lot of sci-fi/ fantasy cliches, but its no jar jar binks by a long shot.
  54. Jun 13, 2012
    If I were capable of encapsulating how awful this film was, I'd have invented a new language based around the word "bad". The trailers looked terrible, but I suppose at that point the marketing budget had already been spent and two-thirds of the way through production there was no turning back, but surely the most prudent decision would have been to postpone the release and continue theIf I were capable of encapsulating how awful this film was, I'd have invented a new language based around the word "bad". The trailers looked terrible, but I suppose at that point the marketing budget had already been spent and two-thirds of the way through production there was no turning back, but surely the most prudent decision would have been to postpone the release and continue the test/edit process until a satisfactory cut was found like Into the Blue. John Carter was simply horrible. Expand
  55. Jun 11, 2012
    Disney's marketing department almost killed this 250m$ film by animation director Andrew Stanton with their incompetence. It's based on the book by Edgar Rice Burroughs, has tons of computer animation and doesn't look too bad, but I didn't find the story overly interesting or original and the 'long jumps' Carter can make, look fake (the physics don't compute) and the green aliens look tooDisney's marketing department almost killed this 250m$ film by animation director Andrew Stanton with their incompetence. It's based on the book by Edgar Rice Burroughs, has tons of computer animation and doesn't look too bad, but I didn't find the story overly interesting or original and the 'long jumps' Carter can make, look fake (the physics don't compute) and the green aliens look too much like creatures from Attack of the Clones. Taylor Kitch (who also played in 209 m$ flop 'Battleship') does an ok acting job (they dug him up from a TV series apparently), but the supporting cast (mostly Britisch actors) is luckily somewhat better. From a quarter billion dollar scifi flick you would expect it to be at least epic, but this film is nothing more than a sunday afternoon snack, so don't feel bad if you missed in at the cinemas :) Expand
  56. Jun 10, 2012
    I think this is one of the greatest movie by Disney's Studio, I don't know why it was so undervalued in box office... what a pity! Edgar Rice Burroughs created an amazing story with charismatic characters in an imaginative world; Disney takes these element and mixes them into a daydreaming movie with an excellent cast! Hope that a sequel will be released soon 4 fans!
  57. Jun 8, 2012
    Yeah..it flopped. The reason for it was bad marketing they say. But let's face it, while a lot of films were inspired by this story, including AVATAR, John Carter felt derivative. While Andrew Stanton is a good director, the whole film felt like any other Disney 'blockbuster wannabe' in recent years that includes TRON LEGACY. Expensive but somehow missing that extra spark that makes aYeah..it flopped. The reason for it was bad marketing they say. But let's face it, while a lot of films were inspired by this story, including AVATAR, John Carter felt derivative. While Andrew Stanton is a good director, the whole film felt like any other Disney 'blockbuster wannabe' in recent years that includes TRON LEGACY. Expensive but somehow missing that extra spark that makes a film a must see event. Expand
  58. Jun 7, 2012
    This movie grossed two hundred eighty million worldwide by June 2012. This is old fashioned Saturday afternoon science fiction fantasy story telling at its best. Maybe after we all buy the DVD, Disney will start making the sequels. Have "Critics" forgotten how to have fun at the movies.
  59. Jun 6, 2012
    This was actually a really good movie. I didn't expect much in terms of story, but it delivered the goods in full. I really hope they make a sequel sooner rather than later.
  60. Jun 5, 2012
    John Carter part 2!!!! bring it on! what a fun movie to watch! Threre were 3 moments in the movie, where I thought to myself, this movie is great! Overall the movie is far from being a "classic", but alot of fun to watch! it was intresting till the end, the movie gave a closer to the story, with the end getting ready for a sequel! 8 out of 10 for sure!
  61. Jun 3, 2012
    John Carter is too boring to enjoy the whole movie . With a bad script , bad dialogues and lifeless acting made the movie too hard to enjoy even with those amazing effects and animations .
    Andrew Stanton 's direction was only good when there was no human in the scene . He should have stick with animation movies only. Taylor Kitsch have the John Carter look but his acting was the worst of all .Lynn Collins was bad most of the time . Mark Strong should have done a better job but somehow he seemed so dull and boring . Only Willem Dafoe's Voice Acting had the power of good acting. Effect was the best thing and The Animation was super . But the sound effect of the movie was the worst and this is one of the reason the movie is super boring.
    Overall John Carter is totally joyless movie with a very good effect .
  62. Jun 2, 2012
    From the very beginning this looked like utter stupidity. Nothing special about special effects. So what if some computer designer drew some stupid creature on his computer. Big Deal! Other than that, lame plot, everything and anything is as out of touch with reality as it can get. Like humanoids on Mars? Martian airships? Seriously? Technologically advanced Martians/aliens thatFrom the very beginning this looked like utter stupidity. Nothing special about special effects. So what if some computer designer drew some stupid creature on his computer. Big Deal! Other than that, lame plot, everything and anything is as out of touch with reality as it can get. Like humanoids on Mars? Martian airships? Seriously? Technologically advanced Martians/aliens that act as if they had the disinterment of a 5-year old? And they wonder this load of nonsense was a commercial failure! Expand
  63. Jun 2, 2012
    Exellent movie: what most people doesn't realize is that the story of the movie is a big classic by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the creator of Tarzan, and was written in 1912... Don't believe the critics or mindless public that doesn't known the roots behind this one, or the classic books. Do you think the movie has cliches? Well, I guarantee that the book was written years and years before theExellent movie: what most people doesn't realize is that the story of the movie is a big classic by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the creator of Tarzan, and was written in 1912... Don't believe the critics or mindless public that doesn't known the roots behind this one, or the classic books. Do you think the movie has cliches? Well, I guarantee that the book was written years and years before the cliches existed... It's a great classic made in a great movie, and I'm sorry that that the sequence movie doesn't seem to be made. Expand
  64. Jun 1, 2012
    The movie starts off good. It's funny, interesting, and looks very different from most other sci-fi movies. But after the first half hour it starts to regress into worn out cliches. The effects are the only things that is consistently good throughout the movie. The middle of the film is it's weakest point. It spends a lot of time developing a very stereotypical romance between the heroThe movie starts off good. It's funny, interesting, and looks very different from most other sci-fi movies. But after the first half hour it starts to regress into worn out cliches. The effects are the only things that is consistently good throughout the movie. The middle of the film is it's weakest point. It spends a lot of time developing a very stereotypical romance between the hero and the heroine, it doesn't really advance the plot, but it goes on for so long that the climactic battle is kept far too short and feels like a let down considering the movie spent two and half hours building up to it. Then there is the "twist" ending that seems like it was thrown together at the last minute. Of course by then I was so ready for the movie to be over that I didn't end up caring much. My advice to director Andrew Stanton: stick to Pixar movies, because you're great at making those. Expand
  65. May 29, 2012
    What the film makes up with interesting plotting, it fails in creating something new, exciting or different. Subpar alien people, mediocre visual effects, and some bad dialog characterize a film in which Disney put all its eggs ($250 million) in one basket. Too bad they were rotten eggs. Feels like a cross between National Treasure and Avatar, not a great combination.
  66. May 27, 2012
    This was the best film I've seen this year! I never read the books but, for a movie, it was well done. What especially drove the movie for me was Deja Thoris played by Lynn Collins. It's hard to find movies where actors make you feel like they're really there, in a fantasy setting, but Lynn Collins performance was fantastic. After all is said and done, if the actors don't make you careThis was the best film I've seen this year! I never read the books but, for a movie, it was well done. What especially drove the movie for me was Deja Thoris played by Lynn Collins. It's hard to find movies where actors make you feel like they're really there, in a fantasy setting, but Lynn Collins performance was fantastic. After all is said and done, if the actors don't make you care about what is happening in their given situation, but also do it in a way that is believable, the movie simply doesn't work. IMO this is Lynn Collins film to stardom. John Carter, played by Taylor Kitsch performance was mediocre. I figure they probably cast him for his looks more than anything. Dialogue wasn't the greatest but it was good. Visual effects; fantastic. Story was surprisingly decent. I like how the director, Andrew Stanton, did not make the story feel rushed by adding small details like John Carter repeatedly trying to escape, which also served to build character revelation. I also like how, even though this was a science fiction movie with wild aliens and bizarre settings, it's a love story at heart, which anyone can relate to.
    Soundtrack; I thought it was kind of repetitive, like they were trying to make a memorable tune, but it was good.
    So, compared to other big hits like The Avengers, which was good but relied primarily on visual effects, this film is the best I've seen so far this year.
  67. May 25, 2012
    An entertaining film, sound and visual effects very good, the story could have been better but was not the case, Andrew Stanton has made a film acceptable.
    The best: the end, just waiting ... well done.
    The bad: love (typical Disney) the same cliche as ever ...
  68. May 24, 2012
    Based on a book series considered to be the father of modern day space operas (from Star Trek, to Star Wars, to Avatar), John Carter had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, and ironically, it was vastly inferior to the very films that it inspired. With a story this traditional and recycled, it was important that filmmakers made extra efforts to give the movie a voice of its own, theyBased on a book series considered to be the father of modern day space operas (from Star Trek, to Star Wars, to Avatar), John Carter had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, and ironically, it was vastly inferior to the very films that it inspired. With a story this traditional and recycled, it was important that filmmakers made extra efforts to give the movie a voice of its own, they however failed to do so. Everything on the screen has been done before, and better. Coupled with cheesy visual effects (especially considering the size of its budget) and clumsy direction, the film had very little to offer. Some of the action sequences (particularly the white ape scene) and it's pulpy qualities were fun and the characters were very easy to root for, but in the end the film misses, bringing its epic premise down to mediocrity. Expand
  69. May 20, 2012
    John Carter was an interesting take on Burroughs' book. The film had the right amount of action, science fiction, and save the world talk. The only thing that could have been a little more consolidated was how many times John would finally realize he wanted to stop thinking about himself. I think there were four different "I need to change" speeches in the movie. Other than that, the filmJohn Carter was an interesting take on Burroughs' book. The film had the right amount of action, science fiction, and save the world talk. The only thing that could have been a little more consolidated was how many times John would finally realize he wanted to stop thinking about himself. I think there were four different "I need to change" speeches in the movie. Other than that, the film was entertaining. Sadly, Disney lost the bank on this movie as the chance of seeing John Carter again in future films is pretty slim. Expand
  70. May 19, 2012
    I was thinking this movie would stink when I took notice of the critics reviews but It wasn't. In fact, it makes up for a nice and entertaining fantasy story with a twist in the ending that holds your breath to the very last minutes. Indeed a nice movie, I enjoyed watching it. This does not contain a juggled story like Avatar with an "okay usa!" feeling.
  71. May 15, 2012
    Not bad,

But for a film encompassing the character John Carter, it is ultimately depressingly mediocre. Good Points; - Awesome visuals; - John Carter's, pseudo-super powers (It's not a spoiler, it's in the trailer); - Interesting character dynamics; - Intricate world; Bad Points - Goddamn DISNEY-ISMS! (a cute animal does not a good movie make!) - Ridiculous dialog at points; - Lack of
    Not bad,

Good Points;
    - Awesome visuals;
    - John Carter's, pseudo-super powers (It's not a spoiler, it's in the trailer);
    - Interesting character dynamics;
    - Intricate world;

Bad Points
    - Goddamn DISNEY-ISMS! (a cute animal does not a good movie make!)
    - Ridiculous dialog at points;
    - Lack of story coherence (feels like The Phantom Menace)

Overall;
    Don't waste your time
  72. Apr 29, 2012
    John Carter was surprisingly a fun filled ride from start to finish. Not sure what the hate is all about and why Disney could lose so much money on this venture. It was a tough book to adapt to the big screen, but I think it was done fairly well.
  73. Apr 27, 2012
    An extraordinary movie!! I was overwhelmed by this visually beautiful epic! I was immersed in the story from the very beginning 'til the end...then went to see it again a few days later. Perfect casting with Taylor Kitsch as John Carter and Lynn Collins as Dejah....two more beautiful people would be hard to find!
  74. Apr 19, 2012
    Andrew Stanton has directed two amazing movies; Finding Nemo, and Wall-E. These pictures are both masterpieces, and favorites of mine. Now, Andrew Stanton directs his first live-action movie, John Carter. John Carter is based off of an older-novel, that inspired Star Wars, Avatar, and others. We owe a lot to John Carter, but this movie adaption certainly doesn't pay any debt. John CarterAndrew Stanton has directed two amazing movies; Finding Nemo, and Wall-E. These pictures are both masterpieces, and favorites of mine. Now, Andrew Stanton directs his first live-action movie, John Carter. John Carter is based off of an older-novel, that inspired Star Wars, Avatar, and others. We owe a lot to John Carter, but this movie adaption certainly doesn't pay any debt. John Carter is, simply put, a cheesy, melodramatic, overlong, cliched, unfunny, predictable, non-thrilling "adventure." Some aspects of the film seemed promising, but crashed and burned. There was potential here, but in the end, it all burns out. The beginning does a decent job of making us wonder what's going to happen, what did happen, etc. In fact, the beginning was pretty entertaining, albeit predictable. But after John Carter gets to Mars, the whole story drags. However, there's a lot of incredible visuals on Mars, and though that doesn't make up for stale characters and confusing plot, it helps a little. The CGI is incredible. Amazing. Absolutely gorgeous. If John Carter has one strength, it's the visual effects. Also, the score by Michael Giacchino is another winner. Giacchino never disappoints. Unfortunately, the more important aspects of the movie, like the plot and characters, are less polished. The plot (in addition to John Carter) focuses on the princess of Mars, who wants to avoid marrying a villainous man, but feels she must do it to save her people. Sound familiar? Almost any Disney Princess movie has the same or similar plot. Also, the characters have no personality. Aside from John Carter and limited other characters, there is no one with a true personality. And even those who have one are usually generic types. The action scenes are bland and predictable. The CGI and musical score make up for the awfulness, but a movie can't run on looks and sound alone. Also, there was a lot of potentially good space ship scenes that never truly happen. HOWEVER, the last 10 minutes are amazing. There's an incredible twist, and that was easily my favorite part. Andrew Stanton is a force to be reckoned with, but John Carter makes me rethink that. You saw my list earlier, the film is long, cheesy, predictable, cliched, none of the jokes are funny, etc. Aside from some visual thrills, the score, and a wonderful ending, John Carter fails. I feel like if some of the violence and revealing garments were cut out, this movie could've been PG, as opposed to PG-13, which would allow it to become a family or kid's movie. This would've worked much better, because the movie is too silly to work as an adult/teen movie. There will be at least one sequel to John Carter, but don't expect me to tell you how it is: I'm avoiding John Carter for life, and it's probably best if you did too. Edit: Due to disappointing box office performance, there will not be a sequel after all. Expand
  75. Apr 15, 2012
    Is it a bit dated and corny, sure. But, that's what John Carter of mars was, and while the movie wasn't any Avatar, it was a fun show, with heart and nice effects. You won't need your copy of "the scientists guide to alien technology"; --- But, bring a large bag of popcorn, sit back, and prepare for a couple of hours of enjoyable vintage comic book style science fiction / science fantasy.Is it a bit dated and corny, sure. But, that's what John Carter of mars was, and while the movie wasn't any Avatar, it was a fun show, with heart and nice effects. You won't need your copy of "the scientists guide to alien technology"; --- But, bring a large bag of popcorn, sit back, and prepare for a couple of hours of enjoyable vintage comic book style science fiction / science fantasy. This movie is a romp, rather than an epic... and it was far better than we expected going in. Expand
  76. Apr 13, 2012
    Once upon a time, the folks at Disney wanted to make a movie that combines the qualities of Westerns, War Epics, and Science Fiction. 250 million dollars later, and we are introduced to the vast and zealous vision of â
  77. Apr 12, 2012
    this film to my expectation was a complete and great way to show the mixing of star wars with avatar. its cgi and the essence of religion and creativity with the transporting of humans to different planets was a smart move. this film really had me on the edge of my seat. making me think "what next"and for the first time in my rating history with films this is one im giving a 9.5. its athis film to my expectation was a complete and great way to show the mixing of star wars with avatar. its cgi and the essence of religion and creativity with the transporting of humans to different planets was a smart move. this film really had me on the edge of my seat. making me think "what next"and for the first time in my rating history with films this is one im giving a 9.5. its a great film and recommend it to the lovers of Disney and others who are interested to see what others say...well this is one of them :D enjoy. Expand
  78. Apr 10, 2012
    I went into this movie with my family not expecting too much for what I was gonna see. We just wanted to see a cool movie in the theater because we hadn't been to the movie theater for a long while, up until March. Let me tell you though, I thought this movie was very surprising. My family and I have never read the book of John Carter on Mars, so that might be why I was surprised by howI went into this movie with my family not expecting too much for what I was gonna see. We just wanted to see a cool movie in the theater because we hadn't been to the movie theater for a long while, up until March. Let me tell you though, I thought this movie was very surprising. My family and I have never read the book of John Carter on Mars, so that might be why I was surprised by how the story turned out. All the sort of alien creatures that John Carter meets, are awesome. The acting involved with the aliens are quite believable. The plot is well told as well, and with a good supporting cast, it makes for some good dialogue. Okay maybe not outstanding dialogue, but it is well done. My point is, if you go into this movie not expecting much out of it, and maybe if you haven't read any info or read the book, except maybe seeing a trailer or TV spot, than you'll probably be quite surprised by John Carter. So the verdict on this movie I give John Carter, a 8.1 out of 10. Now it's not the most amazing movie I've seen, that's for sure, but it is quite good. Expand
  79. Apr 9, 2012
    I went into this movie with an open mind, having never read the books I wasnt sure what to expect. I have to say I agree with the general consensus that this is just an average movie, kind of a nice starter before the summer movie season but not something I would see again. The action was ok but I never really bought into the whole romance and towards the middle i found myself glancing atI went into this movie with an open mind, having never read the books I wasnt sure what to expect. I have to say I agree with the general consensus that this is just an average movie, kind of a nice starter before the summer movie season but not something I would see again. The action was ok but I never really bought into the whole romance and towards the middle i found myself glancing at my watch. If your bored on a Sun afternoon and its still showing go see it especially if its cheap....still much better than the Hunger Games which I thought was terrible Expand
  80. Apr 8, 2012
    I knew that John Carter was a big failure. Disney done it last year with Mars Needs Mars and now John Carter. When I saw the commercial for the movie, it was supposed to be the "first big blockbuster of the summer," but they blew it. 3 Disney movies that have the with or without the word "Mars" on it and I can't take it anymore. Once they making a sequel soon, I hope I will not see it inI knew that John Carter was a big failure. Disney done it last year with Mars Needs Mars and now John Carter. When I saw the commercial for the movie, it was supposed to be the "first big blockbuster of the summer," but they blew it. 3 Disney movies that have the with or without the word "Mars" on it and I can't take it anymore. Once they making a sequel soon, I hope I will not see it in 3-D. It's even worse than Green Lantern. Disney, I'm very disappointed at you. John Carter is one of the worst movies of 2012 for me this far. Expand
  81. Apr 8, 2012
    I avoided JOHN CARTER for awhile for two reasons: 1.) I loved the books as a kid and I didn't want to ruin my memories of them, and; 2.) the trailers and the marketing made the movie look awful. I finally plopped down my 12 bucks to see it in 3-D and ... SURPRISE! ... I did not feel gypped. In fact, I actually liked it. Sure, the movie has its problems and, yes, Taylor Kitsch doesn'tI avoided JOHN CARTER for awhile for two reasons: 1.) I loved the books as a kid and I didn't want to ruin my memories of them, and; 2.) the trailers and the marketing made the movie look awful. I finally plopped down my 12 bucks to see it in 3-D and ... SURPRISE! ... I did not feel gypped. In fact, I actually liked it. Sure, the movie has its problems and, yes, Taylor Kitsch doesn't have a whole lot of charisma, but it's rippin' good entertainment. Expand
  82. Apr 8, 2012
    I think I agree with Rotten Tomatoes' verdict, it's ridiculous fun. "While John Carter looks terrific and delivers its share of pulpy thrills, it also suffers from uneven pacing and occasionally incomprehensible plotting and characterization."
  83. Apr 6, 2012
    I loved this movie, it had great action, great CG and a lot more romance than any of the trailers showed. The ending was well thought out and it really brought the film to a wonderful conclusion that left you wanting to see the next movie... which I hope they make!
  84. Apr 6, 2012
    In this opinion John Carter turn out to be a hell of movie that I have seen. Despite the films disappointment by Disney, bad reviews from the critics, and the box office in North America, John Carter was stronger in overseas box office . the screenplay was okay(details need more to the story.), Andrew Stanton did a good job for directing the film, Taylor Kitsch did better in thisIn this opinion John Carter turn out to be a hell of movie that I have seen. Despite the films disappointment by Disney, bad reviews from the critics, and the box office in North America, John Carter was stronger in overseas box office . the screenplay was okay(details need more to the story.), Andrew Stanton did a good job for directing the film, Taylor Kitsch did better in this film(maybe his best breakthrough role or his next upcoming film Battleship.). Lynn Collins did also better in this film too(a breakthrough role for her.) Willem Dafoe is a well know actor, this is his by far best work he ever did. I hope they go on doing the next book to Edgar Rice Burroughs masterpiece series: the Gods of Mars. John Carter is one of my best films I have seen so far. Expand
  85. Apr 5, 2012
    What the critics missed was that this was not the wall-to-wall action-fest that Disney promoted -- it was a romantic sci-fi saga that remained true to the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels AND had wonderfully stirring action in support of that. What I will remember most is the absolutely flawless pacing of the entire movie from beginning to end.
  86. Apr 5, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much from this movie based on the trailer but I was wrong. I don't think they did a good job marketing the film.

I found it to be fun and engaging if not a little generic (I have later leaned that the books, for which the movie is based, have influenced some of the most popular sci-fi franchises). The special effects were well done, complimented the movie and were never distracting.
  87. Apr 5, 2012
    This movie was fun. The princess is gorgeous. People think to much, just watch a movie and have fun. You can find a way to make every movie suck if you look hard enough. Just have fun.
  88. Apr 4, 2012
    To say "John Carter" is an "Avatar" or a "Star Wars" ripoff is simply an ignorant, and a mindless statement. The 100 year old, hard-sell story's success was a questionable bet which the director of the fantastic "Finding Nemo" was hoping to produce.

However, the film itself was quite a bore. There was too much romance story involved that the entire rhythm of the film was out of control. The effects however, was unquestionably impressive. Although a few of the scenes were not visually stunning. Still I was amazed how the film has its individual stand.
  89. Apr 3, 2012
    John Carter was pretty terrible. Everything felt completely out of place. The characters were drab and uneventful. The plot was cliche and boring. Good attempt but horrible product.
  90. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie is fantastic, the story is very good and special effects are the best, actually when I saw it I thought it would be a success at the box office, not because it was not, I can only congratulate Disney.
  91. Apr 1, 2012
    I actually really enjoyed this flick. I don't understand all the negative press and why it just didn't seem to catch on. The story of a civil war guy traveling to mars and fighting aliens, saving a princess, and what not is pretty cool. The effects were nice. The pacing was great and the movie never felt like it was dragging on. Overall definitely a good movie. If it's still in theaters II actually really enjoyed this flick. I don't understand all the negative press and why it just didn't seem to catch on. The story of a civil war guy traveling to mars and fighting aliens, saving a princess, and what not is pretty cool. The effects were nice. The pacing was great and the movie never felt like it was dragging on. Overall definitely a good movie. If it's still in theaters I suggest giving this one a chance. Otherwise pick up the dvd for sure. Expand
  92. Apr 1, 2012
    Love Love Love! The main guy was a dream and the story line was pretty decent! For Walt Disney, this was one of there better 'teen' films. Enjoyed it lots!
  93. Apr 1, 2012
    people that love John Carter have said all there is to say. Just to reiterate. Hollywood screwed this movie, but despite this the world knows its the best sci fi movie to hit since the 80's. Don't let this turn into another Firefly. Go to a cinema, Imax theater, or eventually buy the dvd. So many can't believe the bum rap this movie received. Check it out. You'll be surprised. Don'tpeople that love John Carter have said all there is to say. Just to reiterate. Hollywood screwed this movie, but despite this the world knows its the best sci fi movie to hit since the 80's. Don't let this turn into another Firefly. Go to a cinema, Imax theater, or eventually buy the dvd. So many can't believe the bum rap this movie received. Check it out. You'll be surprised. Don't let negative critic **** cloud or form your judgements. If you allow that, then you're going to miss out on the grandfather of all modern sci fi. John Carter blew me away and it'll rock your world if you give it a chance with an open mind. Expand
  94. Mar 31, 2012
    A little bit slow at the beginning it starts a good pace at the middle end of the film. As many people say, when you go to see some films, you enter with some expectations, and for me this was suposed to be a super-action adventure non-stop film, but despite the fact it was a pretty average film I wouldn't recommend watching it it beyond a BR/DVD release.
  95. Mar 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It´s a great movie, full of action, adventure, incredible landscapes, realistic creatures....and there is love. Anyone who loved Indy, Star Wars will love this movie. Dejah Thoris will rule forever. Expand
  96. Mar 30, 2012
    Fantastic looking movie with a wonderful story. The shame is that Disney sabatoged this movie before it was even released. For months leading up to the movie release a certain website advertised this movie as Ghosts of Mars. The travesty is that a bit of marketing could have saved it. It was a huge mistake not to push the love story or to include Mars anywhere in the title. There is a hugeFantastic looking movie with a wonderful story. The shame is that Disney sabatoged this movie before it was even released. For months leading up to the movie release a certain website advertised this movie as Ghosts of Mars. The travesty is that a bit of marketing could have saved it. It was a huge mistake not to push the love story or to include Mars anywhere in the title. There is a huge following of the books that probably overlooked it because they did not use "Princess of Mars" or "John Carter of Mars". It is a shame because now we will never see the others. Expand
  97. Mar 30, 2012
    wasn't sure what to expect when watching this movie. loved every bit of it, story was original nothing remake like everything else. effects and story was alot better then some blockbuster hits like Transfomers.
  98. Mar 29, 2012
    The critics are right. It is disjointed and wildly incoherent. But it is based on the most influential work of science fiction E-V-E-R. Seriously, "Avatar" and "Star Wars" would NOT exist without the book "The Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.That being said, perhaps you need to be of a certain age to fully appreciate this film. I am not of that age. However, I really did like theThe critics are right. It is disjointed and wildly incoherent. But it is based on the most influential work of science fiction E-V-E-R. Seriously, "Avatar" and "Star Wars" would NOT exist without the book "The Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.That being said, perhaps you need to be of a certain age to fully appreciate this film. I am not of that age. However, I really did like the stylistic melding of Renaissance-fair-sword-and-sorcery, and laser-beams-science-fiction. Expand
  99. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Expand
  100. Mar 29, 2012
    I remember when I first saw the trailer I was like who the F is John Carter? Unfortunately Disney didn't do much to inform me. So one day I decided to do some google research for myself. Since the movie looked good and I love sci-fi, I was slightly interested. I soon found out that this was actually a 100 year old book series that was written by the same dude that wrote Tarzan. Edgar RiceI remember when I first saw the trailer I was like who the F is John Carter? Unfortunately Disney didn't do much to inform me. So one day I decided to do some google research for myself. Since the movie looked good and I love sci-fi, I was slightly interested. I soon found out that this was actually a 100 year old book series that was written by the same dude that wrote Tarzan. Edgar Rice Burroughs. And most sci-fi films including Star Wars and Avatar are ripoffs of these original stories. The more I learned about it (on my own, no thanks to Disney marketing) the more I was interested to see it. I still hated the title though. I figured if I said it, others would also say; Who the F is John Carter? I finally went to see it, and I just loved it. My favorite stand out performance was Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris. Sexy, smart and strong. I'm really happy I didn't heed negative reviews and went to see it. It inspired me to read the original books (100% FREE by the way on Kindle store). Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 19, 2012
    Burroughs invented a primal fiction: a man winds up on another planet, and has to find his way among strange creatures. Sticking to that fable, which was central to "Avatar," might have saved John Carter, but Stanton loses its appealing simplicity in too many battles, too many creatures, too many redundant episodes. [26 March 2012, p.108]
  2. Reviewed by: Jonathan Crocker
    Mar 18, 2012
    Get your ass to Mars? A handsome new sci-fi adventure that feels rather familiar. Enjoyable enough while it lasts, John Carter is big on ambition and disappointingly short on action.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 18, 2012
    Dejah, with her seen-it-all-before smirk, is not a very sympathetic heroine, and Kitsch is stolid and dull. And as for the red planet, the answer to David Bowie's famous question is no. What a sadd'ning bore it is.