New Line Cinema | Release Date: February 15, 2002
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 68 Ratings
WATCH NOW
CineAutoctonoDec 25, 2015
John Q. was a drama , where a family man becomes a murderer to save his son, who is between life and death , because the plot was very good but very loose expected to see but protruding the acting of Denzel Washington.
30CentsAug 11, 2015
Denzel Washington is no stranger to cinema, with notable movies he has done in the past that includes "Malcolm X", "He Got Game", and "Training Day". He is a man of steel for his most famous roles; for collaborating with director Spike Lee onDenzel Washington is no stranger to cinema, with notable movies he has done in the past that includes "Malcolm X", "He Got Game", and "Training Day". He is a man of steel for his most famous roles; for collaborating with director Spike Lee on multiple occasions, and even starring with A-list actors in a handful of his films. The same does not go for "John Q", who is a father of a son who is dying and needs a transplant as soon as possible.

The movie starts out rather keen, with John Quincy Archibald (Denzel Washington) and his wife Denise (Kimberly Elise) see their son collapse at a baseball game. Their son is immediately taken to the hospital; it is not long until they find out their son has an enlarged heart and needs a heart transplant. Unfortunately for John and Denise, they cannot afford it. Being the heroes they are, John and Denise break down and are afraid they will lose their sons life. John's anger and rage comes out of him as he threatens a hospital, he locks down the hospital with eleven people with him inside the building.

The whole "Dog Day Afternoon" scenario of the movie is the hostages themselves. They are all forced to follow John's orders and stay with him until his son's heart gets transplanted. Denzel Washington looks like he wants to play like Al Pacino's role from "Dog Day Afternoon", just looking very closely will become obvious. A handful of supporting roles come into play about thirty minutes into the movie, with actor Robert Duvall playing the chief of the local police station. We also get a few cameos by Ray Liotta and James Woods who only appear in a few shots unable to save the movie from more catastrophe.

John Q is a likable character, along with his son and his wife Denise. Unfortunately, the other characters do not help and are only there just to keep the film reel rolling for its nearly two hour running time. Another thing that does not help is the screenplay, this story has been done before in previous movies where there have been hostages in a building or someone kidnapping. There is simply nothing original in this story, even if the film makers were trying to hide it.

I did like Denzel Washington's strong performance, but I felt that the supporting actors were just there and not to actually try to make the movie better. Maybe this will find a perfect audience for some movie-goers who are looking to find a good-bad movie on television late at night. If that is not the case with some, then I do not know what is.
BaganLeleoMar 15, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I liked the idea of the movie, and the message, I don't like this movie, first off Denzel Washington is the only tolerable actor I find, and the hospital takeover takes too long to get going and goes by too fast. Expand
MovieGuysJan 11, 2014
The movie's message is heartfelt (no pun intended), and Denzel Washington gives a marginal performance, but there's something missing from John Q: Memorability.
TetsuoAug 26, 2013
The directing has gone into overdrive with its message and use of music and scenery. And not in a good way, although the acting is good. The writing just feels tacked on and unoriginal.
SeriosityMar 22, 2013
A crowd-pleasing film that is shamelessly exploitative and manipulative. Denzel does his best, but his performance alone cannot lift a script so recklessly sappy.
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
The underrated Denzel Washington, gives an Oscar worthy performance as John Q, a man willing to do anything to save the life of his son. This movie shows two things. How heartless the rich and powerful can truly be and how one man can make aThe underrated Denzel Washington, gives an Oscar worthy performance as John Q, a man willing to do anything to save the life of his son. This movie shows two things. How heartless the rich and powerful can truly be and how one man can make a difference. This is a powerful movie that shows how strong the relationship between father and son can be and just how important it is for every person in the country to have health care. Expand
asylumspadezNov 27, 2011
I thought it was a good film. It does take a little to get into and its a little boring at first but in the end its well worth it. I really enjoyed it and I think many others would as well.
davenbettridgeOct 5, 2011
"oh dad, im a cute little boy who loves my family and now im sick, please feel sorry for me and make the doctors fix me" - "We dont have enough money son because I have a crappy job and the man is out to ruin our lives" blah blah
J-ShapAug 29, 2011
I'm pretty sure this was written as a comedy and then the director thought he could get Denzel two Oscars. It's the only explanation for a film this simultaneously ridiculous, preposterous, and incredibly earnest.
RetchelA.Mar 19, 2007
I'm a nursing student from the Philippines. I watched the movie not because it was my choice but because it was a requirement in our nursing program. At first, I thought that the movie was all crap, just like what most movie reviews I'm a nursing student from the Philippines. I watched the movie not because it was my choice but because it was a requirement in our nursing program. At first, I thought that the movie was all crap, just like what most movie reviews says..But they are mistaken because for me, Denzel Washington deserved the award that he got after doing the movie(best actor) because it was so good..Call it corny or anything like that but also admit that these kind of things can happen in the real setting, especially if you have the kind of family that John Q. had, a not-so-well-off family.. There was even a part of the movie where in I have to get out of the room just so I won't make myself be a laughing stuff and cry in front of my classmates!!! It feels so good to be able to watch a good movie like this after 'beyond borders'... This should be how fathers dedicate themselves in taking care of thier children.... Keep up the good work guys!!!(for all the members and crews of this movie). Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]May 28, 2006
One word to describe this movie "Corny". I got into this movie in for free, yet I felt like i should've got paid for watching it. My two friends like it. They thought it was a smart movie because they got the repetitive "message". But One word to describe this movie "Corny". I got into this movie in for free, yet I felt like i should've got paid for watching it. My two friends like it. They thought it was a smart movie because they got the repetitive "message". But this is coming from a couple of bone heads thought "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo" was a brilliant comedy. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful