TriStar Pictures | Release Date: December 15, 1995
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 169 Ratings
WATCH NOW
danielb1982Sep 29, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I consider this movie as one of my all time favourite movies, and also Robin Williams as one of my favourite actors.

This is the story of Alan Parish who finds a board game, which unknown to him releases the inhabititants of the game, depending on the role of the dice.
While playing the game with a girl called Sarah from his street, they both decide to stop playing the game, but Alan un-wittingly throws the dice, and the game punishes him, by sucking him into the game with the message ' In the jungle you must wait, till the dice reads five or eight'.
Many years later Judy & Peter who have moved into Alans house, find the game, and begin playing it, and Peter eventually throws an eight, thus releasing alan from the game.
What follows in an action paced film, with great special effects.

If you want to watch a great film then get this one.
ShlumGuyJul 10, 2006
Metacritic got this one WRONG, this was a great movie. Too many people compare the book to the movie directly which is horribly bias, and unfair. Judge this movie without the book in mind, it is unfair to do otherwise. If you do, which you Metacritic got this one WRONG, this was a great movie. Too many people compare the book to the movie directly which is horribly bias, and unfair. Judge this movie without the book in mind, it is unfair to do otherwise. If you do, which you should since every other movie should be judged that way, this way a great movie! Expand
3 of 3 users found this helpful
BobS.May 31, 2008
Awesome movie. Action, adventure, comedy.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Dec 18, 2005
Liked it as a kid. It was no masterpiece, but it was quite fun.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
DibbHansenAug 30, 2013
Fantastic entertainment, great action, amazing visuals (even to this day), beautiful music (by the great James Horner) and great acting (by all cast members- especially Williams). An awesome Thrill movie!!!
MovieGuysJan 11, 2014
Robin Williams is funny in this movie, I'll give him that, but the rest of it isn't so great. The middle of the movie is chaotic, overwhelming, and overdone. The special effects come into play, and everything else gets thrown out the window.Robin Williams is funny in this movie, I'll give him that, but the rest of it isn't so great. The middle of the movie is chaotic, overwhelming, and overdone. The special effects come into play, and everything else gets thrown out the window. Some scenes are good, some are bad. Watch it at your own risk. Expand
bayamonesaJul 5, 2014
I saw this movie when it first came out and I loved it! Saw it many times over on TV, always entertaining! It's 2014, just saw it again with my 11 years old child and she loves it, too! Great entertaining movie that doesn't age! Fun,I saw this movie when it first came out and I loved it! Saw it many times over on TV, always entertaining! It's 2014, just saw it again with my 11 years old child and she loves it, too! Great entertaining movie that doesn't age! Fun, entertaining, and everything else! Expand
MovieLonely94Sep 5, 2011
It's amazing that most fantasy movies (aside from the ones with British actors) have American protagonists and British antagonists as well and that's the reason why we get Joe Johnton's fantasy comedy adventure Jumanji, loosely based on aIt's amazing that most fantasy movies (aside from the ones with British actors) have American protagonists and British antagonists as well and that's the reason why we get Joe Johnton's fantasy comedy adventure Jumanji, loosely based on a children's literature book of the same name by Chris Van Allsburg.

It revolves around two children named Judy and Peter Shepard as they discover an ancient board game known as Jumanji. Once they started playing it, mystical jungle animals started to appear and cause trouble to their home and the town of Brantsford. Then, they realize that they released a grown man named Alan Parrish, who has been stuck inside the game for 26 years and needs the children's help along with an old friend of his named Sarah Whittle to survive the dangers that lie within the game's magical power.

The reason that I'm reviewing this is because it has been my childhood favorite next to Disney's The Lion King ever since from the classic 1990s. If you understand this, then I'll make my opinion about it just to make it easier for you.

The only problem that I had with this movie was the slow pacing. It was very tiresome when it comes to other movies from the eighties and nineties until the climax of the movie, it started to become faster than before it gives the characters some development.

As for the rest of the movie, everything about this film blew me away with a lot of good things. The fantasy elements of the CGI animals from Industrial Light and Magic was very damn cool they just looked exactly like the book (except the snake for some reason). The actors like Robin Williams, Bonnie Hunt, Kirsten Dunst, Bradley Pierce, and the rest have done a great job at their performances and the comedy in this movie was very clever in my opinion though it didn't give me any laughs, but I think it might as well when I watch it again someday.

The action sequences were very good when it comes to other fantasy movies with fantastic action sequences. The scenes with the animals were given some screen time and they were very good, but when it comes to very frightening scenes in fantasy movies, the most scary scene of all was the lion because it was scary and too dark for the kids, but I've enjoyed it though. The script, in my opinion, was pretty decent. Not outstanding, but not that bad either. The music score from from the brilliant James Horner was thrilling, epic, and very emotional.

It told a very good story and the climax near the end of the movie was amazing. Even though it's not completely faithful to the book (unless you could check it out if you like), I've found this movie to be Joe Johnston's greatest work ever made and it's in no doubt one of the best movies, in my opinion, from the classic 1990s. A big thumbs up from me.

spollardMar 14, 2014
No logic to be found. This movie has a terrible script to go along with a story that is very poor. It is action packed but it has many problems. For instance it is raining and flooding inside the house. Here's an idea, go outside. This typeNo logic to be found. This movie has a terrible script to go along with a story that is very poor. It is action packed but it has many problems. For instance it is raining and flooding inside the house. Here's an idea, go outside. This type of thing happens often in this movie and creates some humor that the movie has no intention of creating. It is a fun watch but has many flaws -- 46.8 out of 100 Expand
EpicLadySpongeApr 30, 2016
Dull special effects make this movie look dated. Jumnaji is aged pretty bad right now. Watch Zathura because it's better than Jumnaji in any way because it's still aged great.
patrickd.Nov 12, 2005
It was good! I used to love this movie!
JamesH.Dec 7, 2006
This movie should have been PG-13 as it's much more graphic, and intense than the book. The book and this movie have virtually nothing in common. They are two totally different wholes. This is a much more mature, and adventure/thrill This movie should have been PG-13 as it's much more graphic, and intense than the book. The book and this movie have virtually nothing in common. They are two totally different wholes. This is a much more mature, and adventure/thrill seeking movie with lots of intense moments. I was surprised by how much the critics rely on comparison rather than individuality. Expand
Louis'sb.Mar 27, 2007
I agree with all you guys, this was a very good movie, and the critics were wrong. I didn't know there was a book though.
Jboy2468May 3, 2012
Jumanji is a movie that revolves around a board game in which your rolls change and possibly destroy the environment around you. This idea is excellent. But, Jumanji didn't make me feel the intensity that it could have shown. I think thisJumanji is a movie that revolves around a board game in which your rolls change and possibly destroy the environment around you. This idea is excellent. But, Jumanji didn't make me feel the intensity that it could have shown. I think this movie would have been a masterpiece if it wasn't aimed toward a young audience. It's something that could have been dramatic and tense, not humurous. If you decide to avoid this issue, other plotlines such as a history of the game's affect on people will make you love this movie. Overall a good movie worth an encore! Expand
ZilcellJun 11, 2012
Robin Williams has played in quite a few crappy movies. Thankfully, this isn't a crappy movie. It has memerable use of jungle animals in a city. Its also kinda funny.
Trev29Sep 2, 2012
I didn't know this movie got such bad reviews. I thought it was excellent. Love all the actors and is such a fun movie. There is a whole lot going on in this movie, and it is just exciting.
csw12Sep 2, 2012
Jumanji is an extremely enjoyable movie. Love the action scenes and everything in between. Great cast and for movie about a board game it was very creative.
BrianMcCriticJun 20, 2013
This was totally a favorite as a kid. Does it have its problems sure, but it still is a fun watch. The CGI might not be the best, but it was the mid 90's what can you expect.
OpinionatedGuyAug 19, 2014
I’ll be honest. I have never seen Jumanji before and I have been wanting to watch it for a long time. When Robin Williams died, besides tearing up a little as one of my childhood heroes growing up has died, I went to watch it and I can seeI’ll be honest. I have never seen Jumanji before and I have been wanting to watch it for a long time. When Robin Williams died, besides tearing up a little as one of my childhood heroes growing up has died, I went to watch it and I can see why this movie is consider one of his classics despite mixed reviews from critics.

This movie had a very interesting clever concept. The plot was very really good and well-organized that this is the reason why this is now one of my favorite movies of all-time.

The cast did a good job portraying her role especially Robin Williams (of course) and Kristen Dunst! For a comedian, Robin Williams portrayed all emotions of that character very well and for a child star, Kristen Dunst is the best acted child actor in the entire movie. I am not kidding, I totally forgot that Kristen Dunst is playing a character in the movie while watching it.

One drawback about this movie is that it had terrible special effects. For a 1995 movie that has a budget of $65 million, it needed to be higher for better special effects that time. But the character development and the plot is just enough for this drawback to be ignored.

I would love to see this movie again and again. It’s just that good. And thank God no sequel!
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
Jumanji is an unique and exceptional story told marvelously by Robin Williams. Critics were hard on this audience-favorite, and for no good reason. It relies on visual effects--but it also relies on a captivating plot line.
ViolettJan 4, 2015
One of my favorite movies. I remember I was a kid when I was it for the first time. I was so excited! The movie is old now, and special effects doesn't look so bright as it was, but I believe those who saw it in 1990th will give this movie A mark.
homer4presidentMar 28, 2015
"Jumanji has always been one of those films that are just a lot of mindless fun to watch. I have watched this movie more times then I would like to admit. But it is one of my favorites from my childhood. But I still love it as much as an"Jumanji has always been one of those films that are just a lot of mindless fun to watch. I have watched this movie more times then I would like to admit. But it is one of my favorites from my childhood. But I still love it as much as an adult then I did as a kid. Robin Williams will always be a huge favorite of mine. Bonnie Hunt is funny and I miss her in movies. The movie is great for all ages to enjoy. Expand
lukechristianscMay 4, 2015
An epic adventure with Robin Williams is just what the kids need! it's a extravaganza movie with a solid cast and a marvelous script. Grade B+ (WATCH THIS!)
FrenziedPanda99Jul 17, 2015
Film to be seen and enjoyed in family . A film that revolves around a board game , but still manages to be quite appealing . The cast is very good and both the kids and adults (especially Robin Williams) can have stupendous participations,Film to be seen and enjoyed in family . A film that revolves around a board game , but still manages to be quite appealing . The cast is very good and both the kids and adults (especially Robin Williams) can have stupendous participations, that make us feel touched , but also joyful . Expand
Tss5078Jun 30, 2016
Despite the fact that I am a huge Robin Williams fan, I had never seen Jumanji, it just never appealed to me, but even since Williams' untimely passing, I've been trying to view his entire filmography. I also wanted to catch the originalDespite the fact that I am a huge Robin Williams fan, I had never seen Jumanji, it just never appealed to me, but even since Williams' untimely passing, I've been trying to view his entire filmography. I also wanted to catch the original film, before its reputation was irreparably damaged by next years re-make, featuring the Rock, Jack Black, and Kevin Hart. The film focuses on young Alan Parrish (Robin Williams), the son of a rich industrialist, who is always in the way. One day, he finds a weird board game, buried in a construction site, and decides to play with a friend, but this is no ordinary game, and Alan becomes trapped inside for decades. It isn't until two kids, moving into a new house discover the game and start to play it, that Alan is freed. Not wanting these kids, to face the same fate he did, they track down his old friend, and decide to finish the game and put the madness to an end. I think when Robin Williams played a child or a crazy person he was at his best. Those were the time when he could really just let go, be free, and be truly hilarious. As in most films like this, Williams is the film, the rest of the cast revolves around him, and without him, this is just another kids movie. Kids love these quirky, weird films, and parents hate being dragged to them, but Williams had a way of making both sides happy and making them both want to see it, that's what Jumanji was. For all intense and purposes this is a kids movie, with Williams acting like a big kid, but making adult jokes, innuendoes, and just being that guy who made him a legend. Expand
Tiber5Jan 17, 2017
On a scene by scene basis, it is mostly great fun but suffers from a contrived script which repetitively drags characters back to the eponymous magical board game for another effect-producing throw of the dice. Read full review
Creepers200Jan 17, 2017
Pama300Jan 17, 2017
Williams is hardly at his comically inventive best. And the script (adapted by Chris Van Allsburg, and a string of others, from his book) pursues the least exciting avenues possible.
SimpsonFansJan 17, 2017