7.5

1. Sep 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I consider this movie as one of my all time favourite movies, and also Robin Williams as one of my favourite actors.

This is the story of Alan Parish who finds a board game, which unknown to him releases the inhabititants of the game, depending on the role of the dice.
    While playing the game with a girl called Sarah from his street, they both decide to stop playing the game, but Alan un-wittingly throws the dice, and the game punishes him, by sucking him into the game with the message ' In the jungle you must wait, till the dice reads five or eight'.
    Many years later Judy & Peter who have moved into Alans house, find the game, and begin playing it, and Peter eventually throws an eight, thus releasing alan from the game.
    What follows in an action paced film, with great special effects.

If you want to watch a great film then get this one.
  2. Sep 5, 2011
    It's amazing that most fantasy movies (aside from the ones with British actors) have American protagonists and British antagonists as well and that's the reason why we get Joe Johnton's fantasy comedy adventure Jumanji, loosely based on a children's literature book of the same name by Chris Van Allsburg.

It revolves around two children named Judy and Peter Shepard as they discover an
    ancient board game known as Jumanji. Once they started playing it, mystical jungle animals started to appear and cause trouble to their home and the town of Brantsford. Then, they realize that they released a grown man named Alan Parrish, who has been stuck inside the game for 26 years and needs the children's help along with an old friend of his named Sarah Whittle to survive the dangers that lie within the game's magical power.

The reason that I'm reviewing this is because it has been my childhood favorite next to Disney's The Lion King ever since from the classic 1990s. If you understand this, then I'll make my opinion about it just to make it easier for you.

The only problem that I had with this movie was the slow pacing. It was very tiresome when it comes to other movies from the eighties and nineties until the climax of the movie, it started to become faster than before it gives the characters some development.

As for the rest of the movie, everything about this film blew me away with a lot of good things. The fantasy elements of the CGI animals from Industrial Light and Magic was very damn cool they just looked exactly like the book (except the snake for some reason). The actors like Robin Williams, Bonnie Hunt, Kirsten Dunst, Bradley Pierce, and the rest have done a great job at their performances and the comedy in this movie was very clever in my opinion though it didn't give me any laughs, but I think it might as well when I watch it again someday.

The action sequences were very good when it comes to other fantasy movies with fantastic action sequences. The scenes with the animals were given some screen time and they were very good, but when it comes to very frightening scenes in fantasy movies, the most scary scene of all was the lion because it was scary and too dark for the kids, but I've enjoyed it though. The script, in my opinion, was pretty decent. Not outstanding, but not that bad either. The music score from from the brilliant James Horner was thrilling, epic, and very emotional.

It told a very good story and the climax near the end of the movie was amazing. Even though it's not completely faithful to the book (unless you could check it out if you like), I've found this movie to be Joe Johnston's greatest work ever made and it's in no doubt one of the best movies, in my opinion, from the classic 1990s. A big thumbs up from me.

3. Jun 11, 2012
    Robin Williams has played in quite a few crappy movies. Thankfully, this isn't a crappy movie. It has memerable use of jungle animals in a city. Its also kinda funny.
  4. May 3, 2012
    Jumanji is a movie that revolves around a board game in which your rolls change and possibly destroy the environment around you. This idea is excellent. But, Jumanji didn't make me feel the intensity that it could have shown. I think this movie would have been a masterpiece if it wasn't aimed toward a young audience. It's something that could have been dramatic and tense, not humurous. If you decide to avoid this issue, other plotlines such as a history of the game's affect on people will make you love this movie. Overall a good movie worth an encore! Expand
  5. Sep 2, 2012
    Jumanji is an extremely enjoyable movie. Love the action scenes and everything in between. Great cast and for movie about a board game it was very creative.
  6. Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't know this movie got such bad reviews. I thought it was excellent. Love all the actors and is such a fun movie. There is a whole lot going on in this movie, and it is just exciting.
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    This was totally a favorite as a kid. Does it have its problems sure, but it still is a fun watch. The CGI might not be the best, but it was the mid 90's what can you expect.
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    No logic to be found. This movie has a terrible script to go along with a story that is very poor. It is action packed but it has many problems. For instance it is raining and flooding inside the house. Here's an idea, go outside. This type of thing happens often in this movie and creates some humor that the movie has no intention of creating. It is a fun watch but has many flaws -- 46.8 out of 100 Expand
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    Fantastic entertainment, great action, amazing visuals (even to this day), beautiful music (by the great James Horner) and great acting (by all cast members- especially Williams). An awesome Thrill movie!!!
  10. Jan 11, 2014
    Robin Williams is funny in this movie, I'll give him that, but the rest of it isn't so great. The middle of the movie is chaotic, overwhelming, and overdone. The special effects come into play, and everything else gets thrown out the window. Some scenes are good, some are bad. Watch it at your own risk.

The script boasts more writers than the computerized menagerie's got megabytes, but they haven't come up with much variety or humor in what is essentially a string of catastrophes.
    The film is a gloomy special-effects extravaganza filled with grotesque images, generating fear and despair.
    Jumanji takes approximately one-hundred minutes for four people to play a board game. The result isn't much more fun or involving than watching a few friends play Monopoly.