5.3

1. Feb 25, 2013
    Jumper is the first film from a trilogy of books by Steven Gould, and while I loved this film, most critics panned it. The story centers around a young Davey (Hayden Christensen), who during a life-threatening event, come to realize he has the power to teleport wherever he wants. Unbeknownst to Davey, he is a member of a group of genetically superior humans known as Jumpers, who are currently at war with a religious organization, that believes their power is evil. What starts out as a simple kid having fun and trying to impress, becomes a fight for survival in this amazing action thriller. You can always tell when a story is adapted from a book, rather than an original screenplay, because the story tends to be more thought out. Not to say screenplays are bad, but when a story isn't made simply to be a movie, it tends to be much more focused on the story, where as screenplays have to worry about the story as well as the aesthetics. Nevertheless, Jumper isn't just another shoot 'em story, it's the perfect mix of action and drama with some outstanding performances. I love Hayden Christensen, who I think is made for roles like this, he has this cool demeanor to him, that's more clever than arrogant. Jamie Bell is also terrific as Griffin, a fellow jumper Davey meets along the way, and he provides some much needed comic relief. ...and then there's Samuel L. Jackson. What is there to say about Jackson that hasn't already been said? The man is a legend. This film is interesting, unique, fast-paced, and even funny. I loved every minute of Jumper and if Sci-Fi is your thing, you will too! Expand
  2. Apr 7, 2011
    Let me just say that I actually didn't mind Hayden Christensen in Star Wars at all. In fact, I kinda liked him in Episodes 2 and 3. Here however, he became a big annoyance. Other than him, the plot was very weak, and the ending was horrible and unsatisfying. Thumbs down.
  3. Jan 6, 2011
    i totally agree with what the critics gave it 35 is what i thought it should get '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  4. Jan 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise is more interesting than the actual film. Not a good sign The trailer made this film look so good, but overall, the films quite dissapointing. The film moves quite fast, but its too fast. Plot developments and significant points just go straight past you, not looking back and you'll be left confused. The "origin story" with main character David discovering his powers, escaping his alcoholic father and leaving behind his love, took place in barely 5 minutes. We didn't have enough time to care for the characters David's leaving behind (well, maybe for his love interest, but Annasophia Robb plays the part well) A wider world and a wider mythology is hinted at for both the Jumpers and The Paladins, but nothing comes from it. It's just mentioned then forgotten about It's not all bad, though Samuel L Jackson does what he can do best, be a motherf*@/ing badass, hunting after Hayden Christensen. Whats with the silver hair, though? It's just out of place Jamie Bell is the best thing about this movie. Griffin is just such an awesome character, killing Paladins, jumping a car through Tokyo to avoid traffic. The fight scene between Griffin and SLJ's character, Roland (don't laugh or SLJ will hunt you down) is pretty epic. Griffins multiple jumps towards Roland into one super punch and jumping a double decker bus is immense. The second fight though, with Griffin VS David, felt quite forced. Like the writers were trying to make us believe in their characters developing from a team up into that. And then one final fight, David VS Roland. Roland attacked his dad, maybe killed him, David's learning with his powers, should be the best fight. What do we get? Nothing. David just jumps Griffin away, remarking he's different. Dissapointing! All in all, I expected more from this film. Quite dissapointing, no significant character development. Watch it if you just want something thats just mindless fun. Otherwise, don't bother Expand
  5. May 19, 2011
    I think the movie was quite enjoyable. What I sometimes do not understand are the casting choices. There was a chick he picked up in a bar in London, she should have played the main female character. A hundred times more attractive and hot than that small ugly chick they finally selected. Special effects were great, I did not feel the need to zap away or take a nap once, and that says a lot !
  6. Feb 19, 2011
    Jumper is by far one of the worst movies i've ever seen, the story is crap, and the characters are unlikable (but what did you expect when the main character is the guy who ruined Star Wars), it's ultimately a really unenjoyable movie.
  7. Aug 18, 2013
    Jumper is a very underrated movie with an interesting plot. The nerd community hates on Hayden Christensen so, with this movie being more in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, it really didn't stand a chance. However, he's a capable actor and the support of Samuel Jackson, Rachel Bilson, Jamie Bell, and other cameos gave this movie a solid cast. As I said, the plot was pretty interesting and original as well. The only real problem I had with the film is that it was only 88 minutes, which didn't really give it time to fully develop the concept of "jumping" and the relationship because them and the Paladins, an organization that hunts down jumpers. With more development I think this would've been a great movie. Expand
  8. Aug 25, 2014
    I went to see the movie expecting a lot from it. Afterwards, I don't really know how exactly to feel. I'm slightly disappointed, but then again, not.

The plot isn't built very steadily, and the end is a bit hurried and cliché. (If they make a sequel, sure, I'll go and watch it. I already know that.)

There is a display of varying emotions on the hero's side, but I didn't really *feel*
    it. (I'm no fan of Hayden Christensen's, though, so that might have something to do with it...) All in all, what the characters do or say or act on, seems a bit hollow. Big talk, and all that. Maybe a few minutes to the length of the movie would have helped with that, give the events a bit more background.

Why four stars, though... The movie is fast, the idea is cool, the visual/special effects and action are nice to watch; eyes don't make sense of all of it, and that makes it feel a bit more natural and real.
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    Everyone in the movie seems so miserable. How can anyone expect US to be happy with it?
  10. Nov 28, 2012
    Poor acting and a lackluster story completely submerge the film's somewhat intriguing premise in a mire of forgettability .
  11. May 22, 2013
    Jumper is a average night out movie. Teleporting skills, chicks and a sissy character who plays the lead. There cannot be worse movies out their like Jumper which is a fast entertainer that is at least- understandable and enjoyable. I got my copy on Bluray, it looked cool from the cover so, I bought it for 4.99 and watched it. I was surprised why critics didn't pan The Sixth Sense because its a hell of a confusing film. Jumper, on the other hand was a exciting thriller and I did like it. Expand
  12. May 20, 2014
    Other than a few cool action scenes, the characters are painfully dull, the special effects are unattractive, and the entire plot is nearly muddled to the point of being nonexistent.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    After seeing this dreadful version of the so called jumper movie I was appalled. The original book was a well written and interesting read that should never have been ruined by such a terrible rewrite. This is a prime example of movies ruining perfectly good story lines that have been laid out before them by excellent books. If only the movie producers could get their heads out of their buts and realize that people go to see movies that were originally books in hope that they are going to see the story that they know and love brought to life, not botched and ruined. No one goes to see films based on books in hopes that the movie is a far cry from the original story, nobody. Expand
  14. Apr 19, 2014
    Jumper is a good sci-fi/action movie.I agreed the acting is not that good and the scenario is bad but the CGI effects are good and there is a good cast (Hayden Christensen,Jamie Bell,Samuel L. Jackson).
  15. May 3, 2014
    After seeing "In time" I said "brilliant idea, but it could be done better," but as far as the basic idea of "In Time" had been crapped with the usual cliches film, the film is not a product poor, indeed it is worth to see it at least once in their life because as in "The truman show" the whole movie is a great metaphor for real life!
    For Jumper I thought the same thing, but with a small
    big difference, is the whole movie to be poor! Aside from a few funny sequence say, this film is really bad! The basic idea could not have been handled worse than that!
    I did not like anything about this movie, the actors are bad (samuel jackson is not served to bring up the level), the direction is bad, the picture is horrible, and the assembly sickening! In conclusion, a film to be avoided

It may be mindless and sexless and humorless, but Jumper jumps.
    The best stuff in Jumper comes early, while the movie is still busy explaining its scenario. It's only when all the pieces are in place and the story actually kicks in that things start to fall apart, and quickly.
    It's a feature-length teaser for a never-to-be sci-fi franchise.