6.0

1. Feb 25, 2013
    Jumper is the first film from a trilogy of books by Steven Gould, and while I loved this film, most critics panned it. The story centers around a young Davey (Hayden Christensen), who during a life-threatening event, come to realize he has the power to teleport wherever he wants. Unbeknownst to Davey, he is a member of a group of genetically superior humans known as Jumpers, who areJumper is the first film from a trilogy of books by Steven Gould, and while I loved this film, most critics panned it. The story centers around a young Davey (Hayden Christensen), who during a life-threatening event, come to realize he has the power to teleport wherever he wants. Unbeknownst to Davey, he is a member of a group of genetically superior humans known as Jumpers, who are currently at war with a religious organization, that believes their power is evil. What starts out as a simple kid having fun and trying to impress, becomes a fight for survival in this amazing action thriller. You can always tell when a story is adapted from a book, rather than an original screenplay, because the story tends to be more thought out. Not to say screenplays are bad, but when a story isn't made simply to be a movie, it tends to be much more focused on the story, where as screenplays have to worry about the story as well as the aesthetics. Nevertheless, Jumper isn't just another shoot 'em story, it's the perfect mix of action and drama with some outstanding performances. I love Hayden Christensen, who I think is made for roles like this, he has this cool demeanor to him, that's more clever than arrogant. Jamie Bell is also terrific as Griffin, a fellow jumper Davey meets along the way, and he provides some much needed comic relief. ...and then there's Samuel L. Jackson. What is there to say about Jackson that hasn't already been said? The man is a legend. This film is interesting, unique, fast-paced, and even funny. I loved every minute of Jumper and if Sci-Fi is your thing, you will too! Expand
  2. May 19, 2011
    I think the movie was quite enjoyable. What I sometimes do not understand are the casting choices. There was a chick he picked up in a bar in London, she should have played the main female character. A hundred times more attractive and hot than that small ugly chick they finally selected. Special effects were great, I did not feel the need to zap away or take a nap once, and that says a lot !
  3. Feb 19, 2011
    Jumper is by far one of the worst movies i've ever seen, the story is crap, and the characters are unlikable (but what did you expect when the main character is the guy who ruined Star Wars), it's ultimately a really unenjoyable movie.
  4. May 22, 2013
    Jumper is a average night out movie. Teleporting skills, chicks and a sissy character who plays the lead. There cannot be worse movies out their like Jumper which is a fast entertainer that is at least- understandable and enjoyable. I got my copy on Bluray, it looked cool from the cover so, I bought it for 4.99 and watched it. I was surprised why critics didn't pan The Sixth Sense becauseJumper is a average night out movie. Teleporting skills, chicks and a sissy character who plays the lead. There cannot be worse movies out their like Jumper which is a fast entertainer that is at least- understandable and enjoyable. I got my copy on Bluray, it looked cool from the cover so, I bought it for 4.99 and watched it. I was surprised why critics didn't pan The Sixth Sense because its a hell of a confusing film. Jumper, on the other hand was a exciting thriller and I did like it. Expand
  5. JillD
    Mar 18, 2008
    I liked this movie and plan on buying it when it comes out on DVD. Rachel Bilson is great. I like the action and romance. Plus the ending was nice. The story is left open for a second movie.
  6. AdamM.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Completely awful... treats it's viewers as if they would enjoy the special effects enough to where nothing else would matter. Characters do things no person would, say things no person would say, things happen that never would, and even if they asked you to sustain disbelief, there is nothing worth watching. I went into this movie expecting something bad, as I had heard it was, and Completely awful... treats it's viewers as if they would enjoy the special effects enough to where nothing else would matter. Characters do things no person would, say things no person would say, things happen that never would, and even if they asked you to sustain disbelief, there is nothing worth watching. I went into this movie expecting something bad, as I had heard it was, and they STILL managed to disappoint. Everyone would let this movie be made should be fired, and the screenplay writer should be SHOT. No kidding, it really is that bad. Expand
  7. MitchA.
    Oct 23, 2008
    Though I must admit it is valuable as a thrill ride, Jumper doesn't even feel like a complete movie. Nothing is horribly wrong, but the combination of frustrating acting and a story that plodded along to an 'end' before any development could happen restricts this film from being worth the short time it takes to watch it.
  8. ChristieC.
    Feb 20, 2008
    I couldn't sympathize with any of the characters. The protagonist was a horrible person. How am I supposed to care what happens to him? There were so many other things wrong with this, but I don't even know where to start. It was just awful. I left feeling terrible and not the slightest bit entertained, other than simply commenting that the effects were cool.
  9. JustinS.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Anyone who rated this movie higher than a 5 is a fricken idiot. You are the kind of people who allow big budget, special effects dependent movies that have no good acting or plot continue to be made. I sincerely would like to gang beat the people who thought it deserved awards. The special effects were cool, sure, but without a back story, without any good writing, it is pure trash. It Anyone who rated this movie higher than a 5 is a fricken idiot. You are the kind of people who allow big budget, special effects dependent movies that have no good acting or plot continue to be made. I sincerely would like to gang beat the people who thought it deserved awards. The special effects were cool, sure, but without a back story, without any good writing, it is pure trash. It saddened me to read the reviews of a couple people who could actually speak intelligently, yet posted a review of a 10 for this garbage. So you mean to tell me this is as good as all the best movies out there??? Keep giving hollywood your money people, and agree with them that americans are dumb sheep and only need "shiny things" in front of our eyes to be entertained. Expand
  10. EthanD.
    Apr 8, 2008
    I liked this movie. It's a popcorn film, great as an escape. The movie starts out kind of slow, but the story takes off when Rice (Christensen) meets up with a fellow Jumper in Rome. Christenson's acting was very good IMHO; he is believable and convincingly portrays his character's emotions/situation. Hope there's a sequel.
  11. WilliamB.
    Jun 24, 2008
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Just finished watching this movie and I shake my head, honestly, trying to figure out what people giving Jumper under 5 are talking about. This was a decent movie! To give a sampling of my tastes, Juno 9, No country 1, There Will Be...6 (knocked down 2 JUST because of the "are you kidding me?") ending. This was an unpretentious movie with a great premise WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Just finished watching this movie and I shake my head, honestly, trying to figure out what people giving Jumper under 5 are talking about. This was a decent movie! To give a sampling of my tastes, Juno 9, No country 1, There Will Be...6 (knocked down 2 JUST because of the "are you kidding me?") ending. This was an unpretentious movie with a great premise that, even tho it may have moved well past the original discovery phase, managed to push the limits of the concept. WHO CARES if the action scenes were a little confusing! These are people that have powers that we don't understand fully! Hayden, although still brooding, was under way better direction than the ALWAYS has-been George Lucus. He redeemed himself in this movie as far as I'm concerned, but I'm just a knowledgable movie-goer. Expand
  12. Sam
    Aug 2, 2008
    I hate the fact that a majority of my friends liked this movie. Just the worst piece of crap ever. The jumping looked neat, but that is the only passable part.
  13. KevinM.
    Mar 7, 2009
    True this movie was lacking in quite a few things, including character development and an ending, but at least this was more fun than Push (oh god!)
  14. Sparkus
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hayden Christensen is still an awful actor, but the effects and other actors make up for it. Pure thought-abandoning entertainment. I expected worse.
  15. DevonC.
    Oct 3, 2008
    It's a movie to like and enjoy with it's extraordinary design and brain-free fun. But it still falls real short on being a pathetically dumb movie.
  16. IanC
    Feb 15, 2008
    Awful awful awful awful. I WAS completely awestruck by Jumper, at how on earth this kind of junk gets made any more. The special-effects-only era is over, isn't it? We're in the dawn of a new era of a return to plot, character development, story as a basic requirement, aren't we? Hayden C has got to be one of the least charismatic actors around, he doesn't even LOOK Awful awful awful awful. I WAS completely awestruck by Jumper, at how on earth this kind of junk gets made any more. The special-effects-only era is over, isn't it? We're in the dawn of a new era of a return to plot, character development, story as a basic requirement, aren't we? Hayden C has got to be one of the least charismatic actors around, he doesn't even LOOK the part. it's like he can't be bothered to even try acting half the time. This crud isn't worth the substance you excrete to coat your eyeballs so they don't dry out as you stare at this unbelievable heap of dreadfulness. As for the comments Oscars, irony surely? Hopefully? PLEASE? Expand
  17. ArthurC.
    Feb 15, 2008
    So, you got a decent, pretty solid if you will idea of a science fiction tale. What to do with it? What to do? I know. Suck all the energy and life out of it by casting bland leads, throw in some ludicrous special effects to cover up plot holes, and create the most emotionally false movie in the history of cinema. Viola, you got Jumper.
  18. LeeK.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Good show. Camera wasn't the best but pretty cool. However, storyline wasn't very good.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Its not that bad enjoy the ride.
  20. JaspreetS.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Starts off good but kinda drags and too many loop holes left in the plot.
  21. TheSwami
    Feb 19, 2008
    This movie was horrible. Nothing was explained in the background to the two sides...Rachel Bilson magically just ignored the guy being gone for years and fell in love with the older version with no background in seconds...no idea why the other Jumper Griffin was so antagonistic to meeting/working with one of his kind...overall an abomination. I want my money back.
  22. JamesB.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Ambition people, this film is probably the most ambitious origin story to a superhero you have never heard of in film history. This is part 1 of a proposed trilogy, and the kind of cahones it takes to create a property with this kind of scope is huge. While I don't think it is a perfect 10, I'm giving it one to counteract all the closeminded reviews so far.
  23. DanielVladu
    Feb 23, 2008
    this movie had no plot, terrible acting, incredibly boring dialogue, and just cruddy cinematography. However, I give it a one because of Samuel L. Jackson's "This shit I don't need" look in the end.
  24. SteveK
    Feb 20, 2008
    Very mediocre action flick. Disjointed, but entertaining enough IF you go in with very modest expectations. Lotta potential here for a sequel.
  25. Murray
    Mar 1, 2008
    What a snoozer! Never before did I think I could fall asleep in a movie, but this one was just terrible! The effects, I must concede, were good, but it really didn't help the atrocious plot. Nothing was explained. How did he get the powers? Like, did they just appear? It made zero sense. Stay away
  26. MikeV.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Christensen is just a horrible actor, I don't know why he is still chosen to star in movies. He disapointed many with his Starwars performance. He just seems like he has no personality, lifeless, and probably limp.
  27. Skytimes
    Mar 8, 2008
    The movie seemed rushed and hayden needs to have at least a speck of emotion in his acting. the movie was lame aside from its great action scenes (the only thing that kept me from giving this a 0).
  28. DecepticonPom
    Mar 8, 2008
    Not as awful as the reviews lead me to believe. Apart from a fizzler ending, it does exactly what it says on the tin. And bonus point for including the brilliant "Blackenned Blue Eyes" by The Charlatans over the end credits.
  29. BobF
    Mar 9, 2008
    Predictable movie and confirmation that Hayden Christianson cannot act. Don't waste your time. I hate to see the category of sci-fi associated with crap like this.
  30. RadzE
    May 3, 2008
    Probably the worst movie I have ever seen. The acting was crap, the main character actually showed no emotion, the fight scenes were crap, even with the good CG. I gave it a 2 cause Rachel Bilson is hot, maybe I would have stretched it to a 3 if she showed more skin. Dont watch this just make popcorn and stare at a blank tv screen, you'll be better off.
  31. TommyF.
    May 6, 2008
    Damn! Who would want to watch this movie?
  32. TimK.
    Jun 11, 2008
    In spite of the low reviews, I've found this movie really enjoyable. Instead of an adolescent with super powers saving the world (oh hum), he went out to have some fun. In so doing, he finds out that there are predators higher up on the food chain. For me the acting is good when I'm not thinking that he's acting, which never occurred to me in this movie. For me the special In spite of the low reviews, I've found this movie really enjoyable. Instead of an adolescent with super powers saving the world (oh hum), he went out to have some fun. In so doing, he finds out that there are predators higher up on the food chain. For me the acting is good when I'm not thinking that he's acting, which never occurred to me in this movie. For me the special effects are good when I'm not thinking it's a special effect. Again, the jumping seemed natural to my way of thinking jumping would be. I wished more information bits were dropped about the war between the paladins and the jumpers, but it got me interested in the sequel! I am looking forward to Jumper 2! Expand
  33. MarisaT
    Jun 20, 2008
    The movie was a letdown for me. The trailers made the movie look very exciting. I'm a chick, and I do like these kinds of sci-fi/action flicks...especially when there will be some eye candy (Hayden Christensen and Jamie Bell). Yes, the visuals and effects were undeniably appealing. I can't say the same thing about the plot and acting. The story keeps...sorry for the The movie was a letdown for me. The trailers made the movie look very exciting. I'm a chick, and I do like these kinds of sci-fi/action flicks...especially when there will be some eye candy (Hayden Christensen and Jamie Bell). Yes, the visuals and effects were undeniably appealing. I can't say the same thing about the plot and acting. The story keeps...sorry for the pun...jumping around and doesn't lead to anywhere. The antagonists never mentioned HOW the jumpers are harmful. They only state that it's because the jumpers will abuse their power. Finally, I would give the acting a D. Rachel Bilson, no matter how adorable she is, should probably stick to sitcoms. It was irritating to see her ask "what?!" in every scene she appeared. Hayden and Jamie did seem to enjoy their roles. Perhaps that did keep the movie somewhat alive. If you're all for action, you may enjoy this movie. Expand
  34. KevinC.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Initial concept was good. At first I thought this could be a good foundation for a sequel then I finished the movie. Nothing else needed to be said. Disappointed.
  35. LevS.
    Jul 14, 2008
    I've watched it. I cannot unwatch it. What a shame. I wonder if Liman got the job by saying, "The locations are all over the world. I've filmed all over the world (Bourne Identity). Give me the gig." What a hack.
  36. Deadlock
    Jul 15, 2008
    It was a show full of an actual interesting concept and lots of eye candy. Could use some story building, but was always fascinating.
  37. PaulS.
    Jul 4, 2008
    The concept was good. Unfortunately, that's the only good thing going for it.
  38. ChristianP.
    Jul 4, 2008
    This movie is a letdown, the trailer tricked me to see this movie. I though this movie is suppose to be a superhero like movie but instead we got a supervillian movie. The storyline is very weak and the character designs are boring. It's worth watching it only once but not twice.
  39. EricG.
    Sep 8, 2008
    It was like, the movie where everything makes sense but you still expect more thinking/reasoning from the characters. Everything in it spelled out the word shallow: Characters, plot, development, even the twist at the end wasn't needed (the one during the last like, 2 minutes). Good concept, terrible way of flowing with it.
  40. DanC.
    Feb 11, 2008
    Well, I'm not guarding this film, first of all I don't know what the reviews might even say. I just have my own opinion, I thought this movie rocked, it is so hard core. In 2007, the Fall season brought us many masterpieces, which gave the Academy a harder way to choose. There was American Gangster, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, and of course AVP 2, Well, I'm not guarding this film, first of all I don't know what the reviews might even say. I just have my own opinion, I thought this movie rocked, it is so hard core. In 2007, the Fall season brought us many masterpieces, which gave the Academy a harder way to choose. There was American Gangster, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, and of course AVP 2, just kidding. Anyway, this certainly does go up in comparison with those films. I was fairly shocked with this film. Expecting a smart Doug Liman film. And truly, it was much more than that, it retained to the concept, it was intense, its just so awesome. I loved this movie, definitely up for 2009's Oscars. Definitely. Expand
  41. DamonC.
    Feb 11, 2008
    The scenery's are stunningly looked at, and the action is way intense. A fast-paced heavily entertaining film.
  42. JordanD
    Feb 11, 2008
    Total sweetness, I loved it. It couldn't have been better, and especially smarter.
  43. DuxaC.
    Feb 14, 2008
    The previews for this movie looked good, I couldnt wait for it to come out. On the release date rolled by metacritic... and seeing 39/100 was very disappointing. I was rather shocked. Then I looked at user comments and 10/10 scores from users, while critics were giving it 30-40 scores seemed really fishy. So I went and saw the movie anyways. I must say I totally disagree with the critics. The previews for this movie looked good, I couldnt wait for it to come out. On the release date rolled by metacritic... and seeing 39/100 was very disappointing. I was rather shocked. Then I looked at user comments and 10/10 scores from users, while critics were giving it 30-40 scores seemed really fishy. So I went and saw the movie anyways. I must say I totally disagree with the critics. The movie was very enjoyable, and the character development was just deep enough to not feel forced. Action is great, and the whole idea is very original. I really enjoyed the movie. The end has a lot of loose ends, so I wouldnt be surprized if there is a sequel. I give it 8/10 and recommend this movie. Expand
  44. ChrisT.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Very much enjoyed the action. I hope there will be a 2nd one.
  45. ZeeM
    Feb 15, 2008
    What are the Critics talkin' about - No Offense. But seriously, some times I only care about my own opinion and thats what I'm going for. This Movie was absolutely Incredible, Nice Effects and good acting, overall all out great and amazing movie. Highly recommend to people who rate movies well...
  46. Star80
    Feb 15, 2008
    Oscar-worthy?? er, what category,,,actor best resembling a tree? It might win a technical award for special effects, but the critics panned this movie with good reason. A promising premise is wasted with inane dialogue and an absurd, illogical plot. To the film's credit, the effects are thrilling. The cast, however, is not. Christenen, as our hero David Rice, must have dug deep into Oscar-worthy?? er, what category,,,actor best resembling a tree? It might win a technical award for special effects, but the critics panned this movie with good reason. A promising premise is wasted with inane dialogue and an absurd, illogical plot. To the film's credit, the effects are thrilling. The cast, however, is not. Christenen, as our hero David Rice, must have dug deep into the vault to muster yet another astoundingly dull, stiff performance. Bilson, who seems out of place on the big-screen, appears perpetually bewildered as Christensen's love interest. Samuel L. Jackson, in what sadly has become a familiar schtick, trades character for caricature. Jumper is not for the discerning film go-er. In fact, if you don't fit into its targeted audience demographic, you should avoid it altogether. Naturally, the guys I went with all loved it, as did the mostly male audience. Most of us women walked out believing we'd been robbed of a few brain cells. Expand
  47. ChipV
    Feb 15, 2008
    I went expecting a terrifically bad movie, and it did not disappoint. I am still haunted by the epic string of poor decisions in writing, casting, and acting in this film. Amazing.
  48. JamesG
    Feb 19, 2008
    To start with, I must make it pretty clear that...well...it isn't very good (in my opinion). However, and this is a big however, I did enjoy it nonetheless. If you're just after an excuse to go to the cinema, munch on some popcorn and watch some action, then sure it's worth seeing. Just don't expect some deep sci-fi movie with a good plot or anything interesting to To start with, I must make it pretty clear that...well...it isn't very good (in my opinion). However, and this is a big however, I did enjoy it nonetheless. If you're just after an excuse to go to the cinema, munch on some popcorn and watch some action, then sure it's worth seeing. Just don't expect some deep sci-fi movie with a good plot or anything interesting to tell us; it's just another run-off-the-mill action movie in my eyes. Sure, I won't be buying this on DVD or anything, but I don't feel like it exactly wasted my time either. Expand
  49. HaydenC
    Feb 20, 2008
    Worst movie I've seen in years. No dialogue or set story line. Every person involved with this film seemed to just "go through the motions." Not even fun to watch.
  50. DrewF
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok-scifi action flick that suffers from a horridly written romance that gets shoehorned into the story. The action is solid, and Jamie Bell steals the show as the guy the movie SHOULD have been about. Not sure if there will ever be a sequel, but this DOES introduce a world with a lot of potential for future stories...
  51. JimC
    Feb 23, 2008
    Suspensful and good. I really liked it.
  52. MadelineL
    Feb 24, 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't the greatest plot, but it was engaging enough. The acting was pretty artificial - except for Jamie Bell. He stole the show completely. I think I would graded the movie at least two points if it hadn't been for him. His character was fervent and interesting (should have been the lead). And the action was incredible - the fight scenes I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't the greatest plot, but it was engaging enough. The acting was pretty artificial - except for Jamie Bell. He stole the show completely. I think I would graded the movie at least two points if it hadn't been for him. His character was fervent and interesting (should have been the lead). And the action was incredible - the fight scenes (Griffin/Roland, and David/Griffin) were incredible. I mean the bus?! Whoa. Expand
  53. AaronM
    Feb 25, 2008
    I actually enjoyed this movie, and it seems fitting to be established as the next Bourne Identity series if given the chance. It definitely felt like its goal was to establish the characters and entertain, and that shows a lot of promise for the future. As a solo flick it will fall short of expectations, but I think in the very end, we'll all be happy it started somewhere.
  54. ErnieS.
    Feb 26, 2008
    I loved this movie. I can't wait for the next one.
  55. NilayS.
    Feb 28, 2008
    Great fast-paced movie with gorgeous location shots around the world in the style of the Bourne Identity movies.
  56. RianM.
    Feb 29, 2008
    Try as I may, I just cannot think of anything bad to say about Jumper. Science fiction and action have been rather strange bedfellows in way too many films in the past, but here they fit seamlessly together to form a smart, original, intriguing, and overall enjoyable movie-going experience. A superhero movie without any real "heroes" to speak of, Jumper bends multiple genres into a new Try as I may, I just cannot think of anything bad to say about Jumper. Science fiction and action have been rather strange bedfellows in way too many films in the past, but here they fit seamlessly together to form a smart, original, intriguing, and overall enjoyable movie-going experience. A superhero movie without any real "heroes" to speak of, Jumper bends multiple genres into a new aesthetically pleasing shape that was as welcome and refreshing to me among the sea of recent sub-par-to-horrible sci-fi action films as a bottle of water surely is to a man lost in the desert. Expand
  57. TonyR-S
    Mar 1, 2008
    A premise with lots of (wasted) potential.
  58. MartyW.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Rachel Bilson si soooo hot in the movie. Hayden Christianson also plays a good role. all the main characters(kids) from Catch That Kid are in the movie which gives it a little twist. Enjoy the movie. It is a must see.
  59. O.M
    Mar 2, 2008
    I went into it knowing that it wouldn't be 'just like the book', but I expected it to hold onto the same general story line for at least 2 minutes before turning into something that felt completely disconnected, and unrelated even to itself. Yes, the jump fights were kind of cool, but it didn't make up for the fact that it barely managed to grab my attention before I went into it knowing that it wouldn't be 'just like the book', but I expected it to hold onto the same general story line for at least 2 minutes before turning into something that felt completely disconnected, and unrelated even to itself. Yes, the jump fights were kind of cool, but it didn't make up for the fact that it barely managed to grab my attention before losing it in a major way. It had great potential, but didn't even make it out of the gates. Expand
  60. kayleighms
    Mar 28, 2008
    Jamie Bell is highly entertaining as the veteran jumper who unwillingly befriends our hero, and Max Thieriot and AnnaSophia Robb are wonderful as young versions of our main characters (though we hope AnnaSophia doesn
  61. TheSpiritchaseR
    Mar 28, 2008
    First off... Very nice action scenes. U could enjoy it just for that. Pretty nice romance - Rachel Bilson is a attractive woman. Cant say the acting was bad either. But god the story... it feels very disconnected, leaving far to many questions unanswered. If u didnt read the book, like me, ull prolly have a hard time understanding it. It does make sense, but it lacks depth. U can watch it First off... Very nice action scenes. U could enjoy it just for that. Pretty nice romance - Rachel Bilson is a attractive woman. Cant say the acting was bad either. But god the story... it feels very disconnected, leaving far to many questions unanswered. If u didnt read the book, like me, ull prolly have a hard time understanding it. It does make sense, but it lacks depth. U can watch it for the action tho. Expand
  62. ThomasD.
    Mar 7, 2008
    I love this movie, I think it probably helps if you like sci-fi and or fantasy,but I can't wait for the sequel (assuming there will be one) to come out. Looking forward to the DVD release, go see the flick!
  63. ColinC.
    Jun 15, 2008
    I enjoyed this movie, although I see where a lot of the crits are coming from. You don't really end up caring about any of the characters and the dialogue, while workable, doesn't have any of the snap of say, Iron Man. But the action sequences are still fun, and the premise is cool. Definitely would love to see them take another shot at this franchise, since the potential is I enjoyed this movie, although I see where a lot of the crits are coming from. You don't really end up caring about any of the characters and the dialogue, while workable, doesn't have any of the snap of say, Iron Man. But the action sequences are still fun, and the premise is cool. Definitely would love to see them take another shot at this franchise, since the potential is there for a really cool story, one with much better character development. At the end of the day, I enjoyed the movie, then pretty much forgot about it 10 minutes after watching it. (Except for writing this review.) Expand
  64. FabianK.
    Jun 19, 2008
    A simple and straigh action film, but a fun ride nonethless!
  65. JayH.
    Jun 4, 2008
    Well I thought it was a fun movie, it's not outstanding but it always held my interest and I enjoyed some of the creativity involved. The performance were fine, particularly Diane Lane. Empty, but fun.
  66. SamP
    Jul 5, 2008
    I don't know what the critics were thinking. I loved this movie. Very entertaining
  67. AnthonyC.
    Feb 11, 2008
    Supremely amazing, the effects are astounding, it is fun to watch, and thrilling entertainment, resulting the best film of 2008 since There Will Be Blood. Hayden Christensen at his best, with a witty Samuel L. Jackson. This like nothing like ever before. It is an Oscarwinning success.
  68. PaulK.
    Feb 14, 2008
    I don't expect movie adaptations to be super strict, but the screenwriters completely bastardized theoriginal book. A shame really, because the writers could have done a great job fusing a "Bourne" type style into the plot, especially since the book's end plot revolved around davy hunting down the terrorist, who killed his mother. Instead, we get new characters (Bell/Jackson) I don't expect movie adaptations to be super strict, but the screenwriters completely bastardized theoriginal book. A shame really, because the writers could have done a great job fusing a "Bourne" type style into the plot, especially since the book's end plot revolved around davy hunting down the terrorist, who killed his mother. Instead, we get new characters (Bell/Jackson) who aren't compelling because we're given absolutely no character development and old characters with completely different backgrounds (Lane). And what about this ongoing war between jumpers and Jackson and his crew? Completely undeveloped, and absurd. What were the writers thinking? What does Steven Gould think about this adaptation?! I found it a major disappointment to say the least. If you're a fan of Sci Fi and/or fantasy and are on the fence with this one, skip it or wait for video. Better yet, read the books which are infinitely superior. Expand
  69. ChadS.
    Feb 14, 2008
    While channel-surfing, David(Hayden Christensen) stumbles across a live feed of flood victims trying to stay dry while river water rushes past them. For a split second, we think the "Jumper" will rescue them. He doesn't. David's indifference to human suffering is a thematic motif that "Jumper" should have cultivated. Instead of changing the world, David uses his superpowers to While channel-surfing, David(Hayden Christensen) stumbles across a live feed of flood victims trying to stay dry while river water rushes past them. For a split second, we think the "Jumper" will rescue them. He doesn't. David's indifference to human suffering is a thematic motif that "Jumper" should have cultivated. Instead of changing the world, David uses his superpowers to troll for women in English pubs. He'd rather be The Humper than Superman. He also chooses the worst possible time to look up an unrequited love from his high school; when Roland(Samuel L. Jackson), a Paladin, is hot on his trail. Also, there's the mystery as to why David didn't learn about his "jumping" ability at the same tender age like Griffin(Jamie Bell) did. This isn't epileptic fits we're talking about(like Jessie in Marsha Norman's " 'night mother"); this is every Star Trek dweeb's wet dream, the ability to teleport. Nevertheless, "Jumper" is good, shallow fun. Expand
  70. EnderW.
    Feb 14, 2008
    The trailers made this movie look amazing, but unfortunately the movie was anything but. At less than an hour and a half, there was very little room for plot development, story, or interesting dialogue. Rachel Bilson looked hot, and the special-effects themselves were well done, but these things alone can't make a movie. There was essentially no explanation on the mechanics
  71. ArmandoD.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Special effects were not enough to engrose you in this dull story. I agree that you never knew who to cheer for. This could have been better shown on an episode of "Heroes" than a movie theater.
  72. HollyR.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Way lame movie. I was looking forward to this, being a sci-fi fan but this was terrible. The acting was very poor, the story very scant, they didn't really do anything cool with their special power of teleportation and the tell-tale sign: you didn't care about any of the characters, good or bad. Just a really crappy movie with good trailers to suck us sci-fi suckers in. It Way lame movie. I was looking forward to this, being a sci-fi fan but this was terrible. The acting was very poor, the story very scant, they didn't really do anything cool with their special power of teleportation and the tell-tale sign: you didn't care about any of the characters, good or bad. Just a really crappy movie with good trailers to suck us sci-fi suckers in. It watched like a bad Stargate Atlantis episode. Ho-hum. Expand
  73. JohnS.
    Feb 15, 2008
    This movie was terrible. It sucks a lot. I give it a 1. It should go have sex with itself.
  74. MattE
    Feb 19, 2008
    Not bad character development could use a bit more.....development but otherwise entertaining to watch.
  75. JonT.
    Feb 19, 2008
    Why does Christensen keep getting work? He's talentless and the vaccuum of charisma and void of talent he throws on the screen can't be off-set by slick CGI. If Lucas can't hide his inadequate acting with loud noises and big flashes, no one can. What kind of pictures he must have to keep getting roles.....
  76. ThatGuy
    Feb 21, 2008
    Needed a lot more backstory and exposition.
  77. TrevorH
    Feb 21, 2008
    This movie was hilarious. I mean I went stoned, but from what I remember, this movie should win an Oscar for best comedy of the year. I love most how it had no ending, it just sort of stopped. I almost pissed myself from how funny that was. I recommend seeing this movie, not just for the horrible plot, but also for the horrific acting, it was a riot.
  78. Kyle
    Feb 24, 2008
    An abomination of film-making. Even if this was intended to be a trilogy, how about actually showing a film worth viewing as the opener! This was more like part 1 of a 3 part TV episode rather than an actual movie. The ending was abrupt, the beginning was never fully explained, and the middle didn't really do much of anything. The sad thing is this movie premise DID have potential to An abomination of film-making. Even if this was intended to be a trilogy, how about actually showing a film worth viewing as the opener! This was more like part 1 of a 3 part TV episode rather than an actual movie. The ending was abrupt, the beginning was never fully explained, and the middle didn't really do much of anything. The sad thing is this movie premise DID have potential to be something different than standard formulaic Hollywood fare. Not sure whether the directing or acting (or even the casting people) are to blame here, frankly I'd just spread the blame all around for creating this mess in the first place. Avoid at all costs! Might be worth a token look for Netflix, definitely not worth seeing in theatre. Expand
  79. DarinC.
    Feb 28, 2008
    Never saw it, but gave it a 0 to counter James B's 10
  80. BillD.
    Apr 28, 2008
    A light hearted cimic book style movie that while destined to be ingrained into your memory provides an enjoyable shot of action, fantasy & romance in what is essentially a chase movie. Airs a little bit on the short side with character development suffering in pursuit special effects eye candy.
  81. Robert
    Jun 11, 2008
    Great movie. I'm surprised to see all the negative reviews by the commercial reviewers, but I guess I shouldn't be. They all have their "artistic" views on things which can hamper a realistic view on what people might actually enjoy watching. I thought Jumper was both entertaining and well written. You should definitely give it a try (and I HATED Hayden's performance in Great movie. I'm surprised to see all the negative reviews by the commercial reviewers, but I guess I shouldn't be. They all have their "artistic" views on things which can hamper a realistic view on what people might actually enjoy watching. I thought Jumper was both entertaining and well written. You should definitely give it a try (and I HATED Hayden's performance in both Star Wars movies). Expand
  82. ZekeB.
    Jun 11, 2008
    90 minutes of my life i will never get back.
  83. RobM.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Just an OK movie. Not really worth watching
  84. MortenR.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Loved it! Jumping is similar to Jaunting in "Tiger, Tiger" (which I loved), so this was a prefect fit for me.
  85. DariusC.
    Jun 28, 2008
    For all the critics and people who say that the movie was awful have you ever directed, acted in, produced, wrote anything that Hollywood or anyone else for that matter would watch? It irritates me when critics get paid to say a movie was good or bad when they themselves have never written or directed anything. I ENJOYED THE MOVIE FOR WHAT IT WAS.
  86. MauricioL.
    Jun 28, 2008
    This movie was horrible and I really hated it, it had a lot of wholes and the acting waws bad , I thought it was a waste of time and i really like si fi flicks.
  87. FilmFan
    Jun 29, 2008
    I really wanted to like this film. Unfortunately the only thing going for it are the special affects. However the film is afflicted with the following. Least then apt writing including poor pacing (which makes parts drag out and yawn inducing) and characterisations were unrealistic. The main protagonist is annoying and has no redeeming features you'd root for in a hero. While the I really wanted to like this film. Unfortunately the only thing going for it are the special affects. However the film is afflicted with the following. Least then apt writing including poor pacing (which makes parts drag out and yawn inducing) and characterisations were unrealistic. The main protagonist is annoying and has no redeeming features you'd root for in a hero. While the story has potential it falls flat with little substance. I really only recommend this if you have nothing better to do. Expand
  88. DearGod...
    Jul 11, 2008
    I really wish I could have "jumped" out of the theater. It was terrible. I could make better movies in my sleep.
  89. Apr 7, 2011
    Let me just say that I actually didn't mind Hayden Christensen in Star Wars at all. In fact, I kinda liked him in Episodes 2 and 3. Here however, he became a big annoyance. Other than him, the plot was very weak, and the ending was horrible and unsatisfying. Thumbs down.
  90. Jan 6, 2011
    i totally agree with what the critics gave it 35 is what i thought it should get '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  91. Jan 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise is more interesting than the actual film. Not a good sign The trailer made this film look so good, but overall, the films quite dissapointing. The film moves quite fast, but its too fast. Plot developments and significant points just go straight past you, not looking back and you'll be left confused. The "origin story" with main character David discovering his powers, escaping his alcoholic father and leaving behind his love, took place in barely 5 minutes. We didn't have enough time to care for the characters David's leaving behind (well, maybe for his love interest, but Annasophia Robb plays the part well) A wider world and a wider mythology is hinted at for both the Jumpers and The Paladins, but nothing comes from it. It's just mentioned then forgotten about It's not all bad, though Samuel L Jackson does what he can do best, be a motherf*@/ing badass, hunting after Hayden Christensen. Whats with the silver hair, though? It's just out of place Jamie Bell is the best thing about this movie. Griffin is just such an awesome character, killing Paladins, jumping a car through Tokyo to avoid traffic. The fight scene between Griffin and SLJ's character, Roland (don't laugh or SLJ will hunt you down) is pretty epic. Griffins multiple jumps towards Roland into one super punch and jumping a double decker bus is immense. The second fight though, with Griffin VS David, felt quite forced. Like the writers were trying to make us believe in their characters developing from a team up into that. And then one final fight, David VS Roland. Roland attacked his dad, maybe killed him, David's learning with his powers, should be the best fight. What do we get? Nothing. David just jumps Griffin away, remarking he's different. Dissapointing! All in all, I expected more from this film. Quite dissapointing, no significant character development. Watch it if you just want something thats just mindless fun. Otherwise, don't bother Expand
  92. Aug 18, 2013
    Jumper is a very underrated movie with an interesting plot. The nerd community hates on Hayden Christensen so, with this movie being more in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, it really didn't stand a chance. However, he's a capable actor and the support of Samuel Jackson, Rachel Bilson, Jamie Bell, and other cameos gave this movie a solid cast. As I said, the plot was pretty interesting andJumper is a very underrated movie with an interesting plot. The nerd community hates on Hayden Christensen so, with this movie being more in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, it really didn't stand a chance. However, he's a capable actor and the support of Samuel Jackson, Rachel Bilson, Jamie Bell, and other cameos gave this movie a solid cast. As I said, the plot was pretty interesting and original as well. The only real problem I had with the film is that it was only 88 minutes, which didn't really give it time to fully develop the concept of "jumping" and the relationship because them and the Paladins, an organization that hunts down jumpers. With more development I think this would've been a great movie. Expand
  93. Aug 25, 2014
    I went to see the movie expecting a lot from it. Afterwards, I don't really know how exactly to feel. I'm slightly disappointed, but then again, not.

The plot isn't built very steadily, and the end is a bit hurried and cliché. (If they make a sequel, sure, I'll go and watch it. I already know that.) There is a display of varying emotions on the hero's side, but I didn't really *feel*

There is a display of varying emotions on the hero's side, but I didn't really *feel* it. (I'm no fan of Hayden Christensen's, though, so that might have something to do with it...) All in all, what the characters do or say or act on, seems a bit hollow. Big talk, and all that. Maybe a few minutes to the length of the movie would have helped with that, give the events a bit more background.

Why four stars, though... The movie is fast, the idea is cool, the visual/special effects and action are nice to watch; eyes don't make sense of all of it, and that makes it feel a bit more natural and real.
  94. Nov 9, 2014
    The premise for this movie is decent. However it is carried out with such a void in charisma that this ends up being one of the most excruciatingly boring viewing experiences in recent history. Not even Sam L Jackson can save this film, which is really saying something. Really this film never stops feeling like a build up, even in the "climax", and at the end you can't help feeling you'veThe premise for this movie is decent. However it is carried out with such a void in charisma that this ends up being one of the most excruciatingly boring viewing experiences in recent history. Not even Sam L Jackson can save this film, which is really saying something. Really this film never stops feeling like a build up, even in the "climax", and at the end you can't help feeling you've wasted an hour and a half of your life. Expand
  95. Nov 15, 2012
    Everyone in the movie seems so miserable. How can anyone expect US to be happy with it?
  96. Nov 28, 2012
    Poor acting and a lackluster story completely submerge the film's somewhat intriguing premise in a mire of forgettability .
  97. May 20, 2014
    Other than a few cool action scenes, the characters are painfully dull, the special effects are unattractive, and the entire plot is nearly muddled to the point of being nonexistent.
  98. Nov 22, 2013
    After seeing this dreadful version of the so called jumper movie I was appalled. The original book was a well written and interesting read that should never have been ruined by such a terrible rewrite. This is a prime example of movies ruining perfectly good story lines that have been laid out before them by excellent books. If only the movie producers could get their heads out of theirAfter seeing this dreadful version of the so called jumper movie I was appalled. The original book was a well written and interesting read that should never have been ruined by such a terrible rewrite. This is a prime example of movies ruining perfectly good story lines that have been laid out before them by excellent books. If only the movie producers could get their heads out of their buts and realize that people go to see movies that were originally books in hope that they are going to see the story that they know and love brought to life, not botched and ruined. No one goes to see films based on books in hopes that the movie is a far cry from the original story, nobody. Expand
  99. Apr 19, 2014
    Jumper is a good sci-fi/action movie.I agreed the acting is not that good and the scenario is bad but the CGI effects are good and there is a good cast (Hayden Christensen,Jamie Bell,Samuel L. Jackson).
  100. May 3, 2014
    After seeing "In time" I said "brilliant idea, but it could be done better," but as far as the basic idea of "In Time" had been crapped with the usual cliches film, the film is not a product poor, indeed it is worth to see it at least once in their life because as in "The truman show" the whole movie is a great metaphor for real life!
    For Jumper I thought the same thing, but with a small
    For Jumper I thought the same thing, but with a small big difference, is the whole movie to be poor! Aside from a few funny sequence say, this film is really bad! The basic idea could not have been handled worse than that!
    I did not like anything about this movie, the actors are bad (samuel jackson is not served to bring up the level), the direction is bad, the picture is horrible, and the assembly sickening! In conclusion, a film to be avoided

It may be mindless and sexless and humorless, but Jumper jumps.
    The best stuff in Jumper comes early, while the movie is still busy explaining its scenario. It's only when all the pieces are in place and the story actually kicks in that things start to fall apart, and quickly.
    It's a feature-length teaser for a never-to-be sci-fi franchise.