8.0

1. MikeC.
    Feb 7, 2006
    Great acting. unfortunately, there was no story.
  2. PRay
    Dec 25, 2006
    So till, that it almost stops on several occassions. No dialogue when you want there to be, I just didnt know what the hell I was watching it for, and didnt feel like it affected me, or had anything to say, wasted my time! Well acted though by all, and well, that it.
  3. RandallG.
    Apr 17, 2006
    I'm from the South, know many people who share these types of values, and found this film horribly condenscending and full of sterotypes. I think poor Scott Glenn had few lines than Boo Radley in TKAM. Why do all the "good" country people look like a Jerry Springer show? Country people can't look sophisticated (and thin)? I almost thought the family would say, "Y'all come I'm from the South, know many people who share these types of values, and found this film horribly condenscending and full of sterotypes. I think poor Scott Glenn had few lines than Boo Radley in TKAM. Why do all the "good" country people look like a Jerry Springer show? Country people can't look sophisticated (and thin)? I almost thought the family would say, "Y'all come back, y' hear?" at the end. Bigoted and prejudice in the worse way: for our own good. Expand
  4. DomB.
    Apr 21, 2006
    To me, this film was one big construct. The characters were excruciatingly unbelievable, with the possible exception of Amy Adams's Ashley, and the storyline felt devised by someone who thinks in cliche. Very hard to watch.
  5. NancyC.
    Apr 29, 2006
    Sinister "Deliverance" meets simpering Melanie Wilkes by way of the lobotomized dysfunction of "The Royal Tennenbaums". A feast of sterotypes and short cuts. C'mon, put a littie effort into it next time. This movie was an insult, I don't care where the director was born.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Westal
    An admirable film, but its charms will be visible only to the most patient filmgoers.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Has a washed-out look that may be off-putting to auds who might otherwise enjoy the pic's uncondescending view of Southern characters and customs.
    It's an exhilaratingly decentered tale, with the perspective shifting around so there's no character with whom we totally identify throughout.