Juno

8.4

1. BlockH.
    Dec 26, 2007
    I'm not quite sure what some of the low scorers were expecting when they went to see this movie - apparently their noses were too far in the air to get a good look at the screen. Juno is definitely hilarious and filled with some great one-liners that are well-synced to a Gen X audience and younger. Cody's dialogue is quick and creative, though perhaps a bit more than what one I'm not quite sure what some of the low scorers were expecting when they went to see this movie - apparently their noses were too far in the air to get a good look at the screen. Juno is definitely hilarious and filled with some great one-liners that are well-synced to a Gen X audience and younger. Cody's dialogue is quick and creative, though perhaps a bit more than what one would truly expect from a 16-year-old. Still, the whole thing works beautifully. Well worth the price of a ticket. Expand
  2. PaulF.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Juno is an interesting movie in that it touches upon a sensitive political topic yet comes off not only surprisingly neutral but comic as well. One could think the movie to have
  3. KeithL.
    Dec 28, 2007
    The funniest movie to date, Ellen Page and Michael Cera are a great tandem together as an awkward couple who suddenly have a baby. Great pregnancy humor, and Jason Bateman is a riot whenever he is on screen. Overall one of the best comedic yet dramatic films this year.
  4. RachelW.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Juno is one of the most original films of the year. Juno uses the wit of the actors along with great writing and music to move the story. Unlike other comedies that rely on crude humor to make you laugh.
  5. JamieG.
    Juno
  6. DanielB.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Yes, parts were contrived and there were Moments of Great Portent that were a bit off... and it was too "hip" and the soundtrack a little too invasive... but. In the end, it is pretty funny, and really sweet, with good acting and a not-obvious ending. And that's pretty good.
  7. SteveM.
    Dec 29, 2007
    Excellent movie. Acting by Ellen Page was first rate.
  8. MichelleR.
    Dec 31, 2007
    Hmmm, I understand if you don't think the movie was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm shocked at all the 1's and 0's... I laughed, I cried, etc. Great movie.
    Dec 31, 2007
    It was not as sarcastic and "Daria"-inspired as I thought it would be. Juno actually has real emotions and the story went in a direction I did not expect. Plus, as a late 20-something, I got tons of jokes and loved the humor that many older folks in the suburban theater I saw it it didn't get. That always makes me feel good. :)
  10. Kevin
    Dec 31, 2007
    The vast majority of the movie critics complain about the beginning of the movie (which I thought was fine), and many express some reservations about Juno's string of one-liners. Not every kid is Juno, of course, but what she says comes across to me as completely normal and real. The screenwriter isn't trying to say "Wow I'm amazing, look at all the one-liners I can put The vast majority of the movie critics complain about the beginning of the movie (which I thought was fine), and many express some reservations about Juno's string of one-liners. Not every kid is Juno, of course, but what she says comes across to me as completely normal and real. The screenwriter isn't trying to say "Wow I'm amazing, look at all the one-liners I can put together." She's saying, here's this character, and she deals with her world by keeping it at an ironic distance. She's not quite grown up enough to actually handle things, so she uses this half-jokey attitude toward it. Totally believable, totally real. I knew several people like this during high school and college ... didn't you? Not to the same extent, of course; nobody is "on" all the time. For the people who thought the movie was dropping all the names of bands and stuff in an attempt to be cool: I thought exactly the opposite. It is through this shared popular culture that Juno connects with the older guy who never grew up ... and this guy is NOT the hero of the movie. He represents the path not chosen, the Seth-Rogen-in-Knocked-Up guy ... the guy who is NOT right for her. He represents immaturity. And their entire conversation about being uber-hipster also represents immaturity. The point of the conversation isn't dropping names for the sake of dropping names! Those of you who think that's what's going on have completely missed the point of that whole scene. The parents are the most realistic parents I've seen in a teen movie since I don't know when. As a parent of a to-be-teenager-all-too-soon, I appreciated that a lot. The mom told Juno she had no clue what she was getting into with the married guy, and she was right. Unlike most teenage movies, this one reflects reality: teenagers don't quite know what's going on in the world nearly as well as their parents do. Whether a movie is "funny" or not is a matter of taste. I loved Blazing Saddles, some people can't stand it, whatever, you're not going to get anywhere arguing about that sort of thing. Expand
  11. Nov 19, 2010
    Juno is outstandingly scripted, wonderfully acted, and despite narrating a rather slow-paced story, it touches on appropriately compelling notes with the right yet subtle amount of poignance, passion and power.
  12. Jan 7, 2011
    Reminds us that there are alternatives to abortion. Also helps during one's search for identity by encouraging to just be oneself. Suggests not to chase a fancy lover, but be with the one who cares - the best friend. Fast paced, very likable, and sometimes beautiful.
  13. Sep 15, 2011
    Starring the actress we know from INCEPTION and WHIP IT and the actor we know from SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD and SUPERBAD, JUNO is a ridiculously funny comedy about an unplanned teen pregnancy. When I rented it, even though it was nominated for a few Oscars and was highly praised review-wise, I feared that it would be an "indie" twist on the usual dumb-humor farce; but it's extremelyStarring the actress we know from INCEPTION and WHIP IT and the actor we know from SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD and SUPERBAD, JUNO is a ridiculously funny comedy about an unplanned teen pregnancy. When I rented it, even though it was nominated for a few Oscars and was highly praised review-wise, I feared that it would be an "indie" twist on the usual dumb-humor farce; but it's extremely simple to say that that's not at all what this was. It was an amazing blend of controversy and laughs that, quite surprisingly, weren't from raunchiness or crudeness, but rather from the cleverness of the plot and sub-plots altogether. Expand
  14. Jun 26, 2012
    Juno is the sort of film that is hampered by aspects of its approach, yet surprisingly winning in its outcome. Ellen Page stars as the titular Juno MacGuff, who becomes pregnant after, well, having sex. She could be termed quirky and is a bit of a wiseass -- especially for someone who forgets basic biology -- but the performance makes her disarmingly likable. Juno of course decides to haveJuno is the sort of film that is hampered by aspects of its approach, yet surprisingly winning in its outcome. Ellen Page stars as the titular Juno MacGuff, who becomes pregnant after, well, having sex. She could be termed quirky and is a bit of a wiseass -- especially for someone who forgets basic biology -- but the performance makes her disarmingly likable. Juno of course decides to have the baby and to then give it up for adoption, and the film follows her through the remaining course of her pregnancy. Director Jason Reitman's previous Thank You for Smoking was justly praised, and here he has created an equally enjoyable experience. Diablo Cody's script is perhaps a little too self conscious -- would anyone ever use the phrase "honest to blog"? -- but she shows a knack for creating memorable characters with occasionally humorous dialogue. The proceedings are definitely aided by a talented cast. Michael Cera shines here with his unique meek charm as the, um, baby-daddy. J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney have excellent bit parts as Juno's father and stepmother. However the majority of the acting credit must go to both Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner as the potential adoptive parents, and who provide valid dramatic counterpoints to the otherwise sweet comedy in the foreground. Though the self-congratulatory wittiness may grate some and the twee-filled soundtrack may prove taxing to others -- plenty may fall into both categories -- Juno ends up coming together nicely on just about every level. Expand
  15. Oct 18, 2011
    I recently bought a triple pack containing Juno, Little Miss Sunshine and Waitress. These are all 3 fine films that effortlessly portray strong female characters at multiple ages and classes while also bringing so much more to the table. Although it is not my favourite of the bunch (that would be Waitress) Juno exemplifies a film that flies high on its own adorableness but still shows thatI recently bought a triple pack containing Juno, Little Miss Sunshine and Waitress. These are all 3 fine films that effortlessly portray strong female characters at multiple ages and classes while also bringing so much more to the table. Although it is not my favourite of the bunch (that would be Waitress) Juno exemplifies a film that flies high on its own adorableness but still shows that it is remarkably self aware, intelligent and funny as hell.
    Juno tells the story of (oddly enough) Juno Macguff (Ellen Page who at the age of 16 gets pregnant by her boyfriend Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera) and decides to give it up for adoption to a middle class couple (Jennifer Garner & Jason Bateman) with the help of her parents (Allison Janney & J.K Simmons).
    Page manages to thrive on the incredibly solid script bringing to life the character who is shown to be incredibly smart, independent and authentic. If anything the other cast member who does as good a job is Jennifer Garner who portrays Vanessa so brilliantly that this highly strung, obsessive and quite frankly domineering becomes funny and enchanting. Batemans Mark also brings a commanding performance as a man who just hasn't grown up, with him in some ways being more immature than Juno despite the fact he is 20 years older.
    The rest of the cast bring some great comedy to the mix with Simmons and Janney both bringing their great comic timing while also providing a foil for Juno as she struggles with her pregnancy. The scenes between Janney and Page are especially good with displays of such affection handled so delicately and subtly. The film works from a fantastic script and is all brought together by director Jason Reitman who conveys so much through what isn't shown as well as his extremely honest direction of the actors, especially towards the end. Juno does not disappoint at all, in fact its nine months I'd happily watch again and again.
  16. Feb 6, 2012
    Ellen Page in her best acting so far. This movie is brilliant from the first minute on. It is not so funny I expected ... it comes more like a dramedy though this is what makes this film even better! Brilliant acting and plot.
  17. Aug 27, 2014
    Juno is a charmer. I'm not only talking about Ellen Page as Juno MacGuff, but Juno as a whole. It's an intelligent comedy that only comes around every couple of years.
  18. Sep 1, 2012
    So unique. Quirky, awkward, and just great. Best picture?...... no. However, it provided a tender message that had a lasting impact. You have to appreciate the weirdness of this film or you will not like it.
  19. Jan 8, 2015
    A realistic and touching depiction of teenage pregnancy, Juno is a real winner. Ellen Page is a shining star here in a powerhouse performance where she truly commands the screen. Michael Cera is his typical hilariously awkward self here, while J.K. Simmons would have had my favorite performance here, if not for Page's turn in the lead role. The writing is very strong and some of theA realistic and touching depiction of teenage pregnancy, Juno is a real winner. Ellen Page is a shining star here in a powerhouse performance where she truly commands the screen. Michael Cera is his typical hilariously awkward self here, while J.K. Simmons would have had my favorite performance here, if not for Page's turn in the lead role. The writing is very strong and some of the exchanges here were absolutely hilarious. The characters all also very well-written and feel like authentic 16 year olds. The direction from Jason Reitman is also very good and the story is very well told here. The title sequence was also one of the coolest I have seen. I usually do not notice that too much, but here, it was really well done and the music was perfect for it. Finally, I typically do not find comedies that funny for whatever reason, but here, I was laughing quite often. The film was a great blend of drama and comedy and it was refreshing for me to find a film that I found to be 50/50 in that regard, rather than a dramedy that never really makes me laugh. Overall, really authentic coming of age film that strikes a chord without question. Expand
  20. Nov 17, 2012
    The dialogue rattles off so sharply and originally, you can't help but be entranced by Juno's wit. It also has an emotional core, and some genuine heartwarming moments. Reitman, like Alexander Payne, is a master of the human comedy.
  21. Nov 28, 2012
    Jason Reitman's "Juno" is a dramedy about a teenager (Page) who faces an unplanned pregnancy and decides to put her unborn child up for adoption. Now, I've heard a lot of good buzz about "Juno" since it's 2007 release, and I've been rather excited to finally see it. First off, I can say that the film itself is pretty good. I enjoyed most of the aspects of it. The acting on all fronts isJason Reitman's "Juno" is a dramedy about a teenager (Page) who faces an unplanned pregnancy and decides to put her unborn child up for adoption. Now, I've heard a lot of good buzz about "Juno" since it's 2007 release, and I've been rather excited to finally see it. First off, I can say that the film itself is pretty good. I enjoyed most of the aspects of it. The acting on all fronts is great. Ellen Page is hilarious as the titular character, and Michael Cera is equally as funny as her awkward friend. The facet of the movie that I admired the most was the film's brilliant, Academy Award-Winning script written by Diablo Cody. I found every line in this movie to be delightfully unique, and Cody's use of modern dialogue devices really helps to give this movie a certain authenticity. Although this movie is labelled a comedy, I found it to be more of a heartfelt drama love story - especially towards the end. Overall, I felt that "Juno" was a very sweet addition to the comedy genre. Expand
  22. Mar 11, 2013
    Juno is the ultimate teen movie, Jaspon Reitman clearly shows how much he understands teens lifestyle, thoughts, and humor. It provides fun and lovable performances and a wonderful plot that sooth the hearts of audiences everywhere.
  23. Oct 31, 2014
    What an awesome movie. Smooth, delicious and fun was the story, yet not all that special. A seven, maybe an eight, if not for the wonderful cast, whom I happen to adore. Michael Cera and Ellen Page are by far (next to Brad Pitt) my favorite actors, both so uniquely good at the roles they play (Ellen having a bit of a wider range, Michael portraying his character oh-so-awesomely, they bothWhat an awesome movie. Smooth, delicious and fun was the story, yet not all that special. A seven, maybe an eight, if not for the wonderful cast, whom I happen to adore. Michael Cera and Ellen Page are by far (next to Brad Pitt) my favorite actors, both so uniquely good at the roles they play (Ellen having a bit of a wider range, Michael portraying his character oh-so-awesomely, they both make an excellent team, one that I absolutely cherish!).
    So fun, and real and raw at the same time at certain moments. More of Ellen Page. And Michael Cera. And Brad Pitt (but that's off the record).
  24. Dec 2, 2013
    honestly in all its simplicity i like this movie ver much Maybe a little overarated but ellen page e michael cera in particolary have done a wonderful work credit to them .
    Recommended for all
  25. Oct 19, 2014
    Only surpassed by No Country for Old Men, Juno is one of the best movies not only in 2007 but in the whole decade, due to a marvelous performance by Ellen page and masterful direction by Jason Reitman.
  26. Dec 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Juno's cute, quirky aesthetic really brings the whole film to life. Each character – even the minor ones – seem to be well-developed and have their own unique attributes. Juno's life is so strange that it would never be real, but that's the charm. This fantastical girl facing a real problem, therefore bringing the deeper topic of teenage pregnancy to a forefront.

"She's just different." "You know it wasn't his idea." Being pregnant with BEAKER'S baby? Who woulda thought! Certainly not anyone who had met Beaker – making their relationship even more the comical. Juno and Bleaker's relationship is so accurate with its miniscule social interactions. They're in high school so neither of them knows how to deal with a baby. That's where the adoptive parents come in.

Juno is naïve, she's innocent. She doesn't know that her "relationship" with Mark will cause her to lose her faith in love. She's just a spunky teenager that likes to talk and make friends. Even though the Lorings split up, possible due to Juno, it's not sad. The way in which each major event comes about brings nothing but humor and youthfulness. "Why are you over here right now?" It's because Juno is Juno. The movie is as unique as the girl and that message shines through.
  27. Jun 9, 2015
    Light-hearted comedy with a great performance from Ellen Page. Not too cliched and has a well written story-line. I think whether you are a teenager or an adult this film definitely appeals to all audiences.
  28. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great movie. Amazing performances by Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Allison Janney, J.K. Simmons & Jennifer Garner. I'm surprised to see some of the hate in the User Comments. Can you bitter schmucks actually gave this movie a 2? I'd love to see what Michael B., Sara E. & Aaron S. think is an 8. Or a 5. Those are three metacritic readers that rate good movies lower to get their twisted kicks... Expand

1. A blithe charmer balanced somewhere between a life-should-be-so-neat fairy tale and a life's-a-real-bitch tragicomedy, leaves political debate at the ticket counter and focuses solely on what it's like for Juno MacGuff to be Juno MacGuff.
  2. It’s the writer, Diablo Cody, and the director, Jason Reitman, who have screws loose. Or maybe they’re just desperate to make their film a chick "Rushmore" or "Garden State."
    There's a special kick that comes in finding a new star. So step up, Ellen Page, and take your bows.