8.6

1. Apr 25, 2015
    On a small island off the coast of Costa Rica exists a most unusual animal preserve by the name of Jurassic Park. Operated by dinosaur lover John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), Jurassic Park is the first of its kind. Its population of creatures includes brachiosaurs, dilophosaurs, tricerotops, velociraptors, and a Tyrannosaurus Rex, each of which has been cloned using the latestOn a small island off the coast of Costa Rica exists a most unusual animal preserve by the name of Jurassic Park. Operated by dinosaur lover John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), Jurassic Park is the first of its kind. Its population of creatures includes brachiosaurs, dilophosaurs, tricerotops, velociraptors, and a Tyrannosaurus Rex, each of which has been cloned using the latest technology that takes DNA from dinosaur-biting prehistoric insects preserved in amber, and uses that DNA for the re-creation. When the consortium funding Jurassic Park become concerned that all is not as it should be, Hammond is forced to call in three experts: paleontologist Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill), his partner, paleo-botanist Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern), and the brilliant-but-cynical mathematician Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum). When the trio arrives at Jurassic Park, they are astonished by what it represents. It doesn't take long, however, for astonishment to turn to horror.

First of all, for anyone who's wondering, given the current state of technology, the situation postulated in Jurassic Park cannot happen. Not only do the necessary cloning techniques not exist, but the likelihood of retrieving dinosaur DNA from an amber-encased prehistoric mosquito is extremely small. While insect specimens have been unearthed, for there to be dinosaur DNA, circumstances demand that the mosquito had bitten a dinosaur shortly before its fatal imprisonment, and the chance of that is slim, at best.

Nevertheless, the enjoyment of any movie is hardly predicated by a factual premise. The apparent realism of some of Crichton's pseudo-science imbues Jurassic Park with a grounding that is acceptable in our high-tech world. After all, to weave a dinosaur fable in this day and age, it helps if science, not fantasy, is the driving force.

Of course, the special effects help immensely. They are so good, in fact, and the dinosaurs look so real, that I half expected to see "dinosaur trainer" during the closing credits. Instead, however, plaudits go to the creators of Jurassic Park's primary screen presences (all apologies to the actors). Stan Winston, definitely no stranger to this sort of film (his recent credits include Aliens and Terminator 2), is credited with the live-action creatures. Dennis Muren gets his due for the full motion monsters. Phil Tippett is the "dinosaur supervisor" and Michael Lantieri presides over the creature effects. All-in-all, the wizards at ILM have done an outstanding job, giving us by far the most impressive and believable monster movie of all time. Nothing compares.

Unfortunately, the story isn't the equal of its execution. To begin with, Crichton's book, while filled with fascinating ideas and entertaining moments, doesn't hold together as a top-of-the-line adventure story. The ending is especially problematic, resulting in a long-winded denouement that drags to an anticlimactic conclusion. Despite numerous small changes and omissions, the movie Jurassic Park is very much faithful to its printed inspiration. Perhaps Michael Crichton's involvement in the screenplay has something to do with this.

The plot is little more than a cleverly jumbled-together batch of formulas. As I mentioned before, Jurassic Park is, reduced to its most basic level, a monster movie. Thrown in for good measure is the human interest story - the growing relationship between self-confessed child-hater Grant and his two youthful charges - but this part of the film works least successfully.

Nevertheless, I doubt that there are many who will go to Jurassic Park for its characters or story. Rightly so, crowds will flock to the theaters screening this movie so they can ooh and aah, jump in their seats, and root for the overmatched humans against the big, bad dinosaurs. Even those familiar with the written work can't help being drawn in to the pulse-pounding exhilaration of the chase as the Tyrannosaurus menaces two powerless electric cars and the trapped humans inside. In the end, Jurassic Park succeeds because it's good entertainment.
  2. Apr 21, 2015
    Few movies have ever managed to captivate me the way this one did. I watched it on opening night when it first came out in theatres. Then about a dozen more times after that. I bought the VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, book, sound track, trading cards, stickers, posters, even had a Jurassic Park tie at one point. So yeah, I'm a huge fan.

When it first came out, it was a visual marvel. Today the CG

When it first came out, it was a visual marvel. Today the CG sequences do show their age, but luckily most of the practical effects still hold up, a testimony to why animatronics is still valid.

Great story, it does deviate a bit from the book but not too much. Interesting characters, but the dialogue now does feel a little hammy at time.

Overall:
    Jurassic Park is one of my favourite movies from my childhood. While it is a little dated now, it still holds up remarkably well, considering its age.
  3. Apr 6, 2015
    one of my favorite films of all time. I think this movie is amazing the dinosaurs look real if they where there and this in my opinion is the best Steven Spielberg of all time.
  4. Mar 13, 2015
    This is perhaps the earliest movie I remember watching and what a movie it is to remember. The dinosaur effects are great, the characters are good, and the story is memorable. Sure, the paleontology is off at times (the Velociraptors being the same size as us and being superintelligent for example) but I don't care because this movie is awesome.
  5. Jan 14, 2015
    Watching this movie for the first time as an adult, I was completely amazed by how good it was--I always assumed it must be overhyped, but it completely deserves its reputation as a classic. The pacing is perfect, with a long, slow-burn lead-up to the scary dinosaur scenes we all know are coming. The special effects hold up amazingly well more than 20 years later--they manage to avoidWatching this movie for the first time as an adult, I was completely amazed by how good it was--I always assumed it must be overhyped, but it completely deserves its reputation as a classic. The pacing is perfect, with a long, slow-burn lead-up to the scary dinosaur scenes we all know are coming. The special effects hold up amazingly well more than 20 years later--they manage to avoid the kitschy funniness of most outdated effects. This is a wonderfully enjoyable movie that I'll definitely be watching again. Expand
  6. Jan 13, 2015
    Rewatched it recently on BD. I haven't seen this movie in ages and its still as good as I remembered. Good story, decent acting, some nice effects for the that time.
  7. Dec 30, 2014
    Jurassic Park is movie based off the novel and is about archaelogists getting a chance to see real life dinosaurs. It has revolutionary CGI especially for the time, awesome scenes, and suspense. 10/10 (Legendary)
  8. Dec 19, 2014
    This movie revolutionized my childhood.
    Probably the first movie I have ever watched, "Jurassic Park" still has the magic that I felt when I was a kid.
    AFI did well classifying this movie as one of the best thrillers ever made in america cinema. Director Steven Spielberg carefully worked with the emotions of the characters, making it a non-dolt thriller, as, unfortunately, most of them
    This movie revolutionized my childhood.
    Director Steven Spielberg carefully worked with the emotions of the characters, making it a non-dolt thriller, as, unfortunately, most of them are made this way today.
    It has the quantity of visual effects that was supposed to have, it has a saturated story, no kinds of exaggeration, in no way possible.
    "Jurassic Park" is, and forever will be, a reference to the future of cinema.
  9. Nov 24, 2014
    To this day, still remains one of my favourite movies of all time. That's saying something considering I usually regard movies poorly. It has everything and more, with the inclusions of dinosaurs. How in all honesty can one beat that? This was epic on the grandest of scales when it launched in 1993, and still amazes me to this day. Storyline is beautiful, all roles are excellentlyTo this day, still remains one of my favourite movies of all time. That's saying something considering I usually regard movies poorly. It has everything and more, with the inclusions of dinosaurs. How in all honesty can one beat that? This was epic on the grandest of scales when it launched in 1993, and still amazes me to this day. Storyline is beautiful, all roles are excellently portrayed and for it's time, a true marvel that should still be respected today. 10/10 Expand
  10. Oct 21, 2014
    My job drop when I first saw this movie in 1993, at the tender age of 4. In 2014, at the edge of 25 my jaw continues to drop every time I pop this masterpiece into my blu ray player. If anything, the years have helped this masterpiece remind us what a truly excellent blockbuster movie is about!
  11. Oct 17, 2014
    Featuring incredible special effects and action-packed drama, Jurassic Park takes you to a remote island where an amazing theme park with living dinosaurs is about to turn deadly, as five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators.
  12. Oct 16, 2014
    Jurassic Park transports you to a whole new world with groundbreaking special effects that still hold up today, i watched this movie when i was young and loved it and still love it, the characters are interesting and funny, especially Jeff Goldblum which people go too hard nowadays, the heart of the movie comes from Richard Attenborough's performance, the action is great but never goes onJurassic Park transports you to a whole new world with groundbreaking special effects that still hold up today, i watched this movie when i was young and loved it and still love it, the characters are interesting and funny, especially Jeff Goldblum which people go too hard nowadays, the heart of the movie comes from Richard Attenborough's performance, the action is great but never goes on for too long, Jurassic Park is a great movie for all ages that stands as one of the greatest movies ever made, i'll definitively give this a 10. Expand
  13. Oct 12, 2014
    Jurassic Park is still one of the best disasters films ever made. The effects are so amazing it really is hard to believe this came in 1993. Oh and Jeff Goldblum is in it so it must be a good movie.
  14. Oct 4, 2014
    It's one of the best movies of the history, without this movie, we wouldn't seen movies like avatar, the avengers, this movie was the mom of all those movies.
    It's a movie that have an awesome story, special effects, never seen before to that moment, if you like dinosaur your gonna love this movie.
    With this movie, Steven Spielberg, make the dinosaurs, ruled the earth again.
  15. Sep 7, 2014
    Yay!!!!!!! My 100th review is here!!!!!! Today, I'm going to do a short review of Steven Spielberg's classic that is simply known as: "Jurassic Park".

Well, this classic has impressive special effects even for today's standards, a script that sometimes falls into typical clichés of modern blockbusters, a well-rounded cast and a soundtrack that won't go over my head that easily. I plan to see its sequels but I will give it a rest just to analyse my next movie: Daredevil.
  16. Sep 1, 2014
    Jurassic Park is Steven Spielberg's big-screen vision of Michael Crichton's famed novel about dinosaurs in the modern world. Stunning visuals and a killer plot, it's a classic and a classic of our time.
  17. Aug 31, 2014
    This one is certainly a ton of fun. The special effects are killer (lul) and the excitement they help to build is truly why Jurassic Park has gone down as a classic. Now, a lot of that is also likely thanks to 90s nostalgia and kids overhyping the movies they saw when they were 10, but all the same, Jurassic Park's special effects are a sight to behold. The terror and thrills are also everThis one is certainly a ton of fun. The special effects are killer (lul) and the excitement they help to build is truly why Jurassic Park has gone down as a classic. Now, a lot of that is also likely thanks to 90s nostalgia and kids overhyping the movies they saw when they were 10, but all the same, Jurassic Park's special effects are a sight to behold. The terror and thrills are also ever present and really add an extra level of excitement to this one as you watch these huge beasts attack these people with childlike wonder. However, once you get snapped out of that childlike wonder, there are some issues, namely the acting. Laura Dern sucks here. The kids are not stellar. Then Richard Attenborough (RIP) is nothing more than alright. Luckily, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, and Wayne Knight, are all fine, which is a plus. However, the acting of Dern is the true cause of much of my distress, as she was just straight up bad. There are also some cheesy scenes that really detract from the overall product. However, as a whole, Jurassic Park is very exciting and the special effects are just too impressive to look away even when the acting sucks. Expand
  18. chw
    Aug 16, 2014
    Jurassic Park was my favourite film for over 15 months, because I found it so brilliant and possibly the most ingenious Steven Spielberg film he directed.
  19. Jul 19, 2014
    Um otimo filme, toda o que um bom filme tem que ter, efeitos especias lindos(para a epoca), um dos melhores filmes que ja vi na vida. Steven Spirberg sabe fazer bons filmes, a ambientacão e espetacular, os atores, a dublagem e tudo lindo, o enredo e incrivel, enfim esse filme e prefeito do 10
  20. May 25, 2014
    Alright i'm sure almost everyone has seen this movie by now and if not GET TO IT!

I Love this movie such an awesome film, Everyone at one point loved dinosaurs in their lives and don't lie to yourself if you didn't =D. Yeah i was like 2 when this movie came out back in 1993 so when i heard about the 3D Re-Release i wasn't so mad as i have been with some of the other 3D Re-Releases that have come out the past couple years the film looks great in the post 3D conversion.

Richard Attenborough Plays a multi millionaire named John Hammond that is about to open a theme park with cloned dinosaurs. They basically do a test run with a small group of people to see how the park operates. Soon the fun ends as the dinosaurs break free of their caged areas and the cast is left fighting to survive. Once things start to get going in the movie turns from a peaceful joyful ride to a thrilling heart pounding ride with loads of awesome scenes with a T-Rex, Triceratops, Velociraptors, etc it was just a blast going through the film on the big screen definitely worth that money

And what can i say i just love Jeff Goldblum he is such a ladies man in this film even though he is a mathematician who specializes in chaos theory the guy even survives an attack by a T-Rex i think that qualify's him as PURE BADASS

Overall i give this movie a 8.5 Such a Classic that i can never get tired of watching
  21. Mar 20, 2014
    ( ALL ENTERTAINMENT)
    ( ALL ENTERTAINMENT)
    Here's the thing about the first Jurassic Park film. It's a very slow pace movie. Once the movie gets going then it's good. But for awhile it drags. The effects are extremely well done. The storyline is amazing. Everything was on key including the cinematography. I have to give it a score of 4 out of 10 though because the beginning is extremely slow. But other than that, it was amazing.

By: Bailey (A Film Critic/Entertainment journal writer)
  22. Mar 15, 2014
    This is one of my all time favorite movies I'm putting it that way this movie is an experience I grew up watching this movie and I never really appreciated it for what it was now I watch and am astounded at how great it is I watch this on surround sound and am just amazed at how immersive it is I love this movie and if you haven't seen it you will to.
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    It's got intensity, excitement, great visuals and humor - almost everything you expect from a Spielberg movie. The movie also has some great, effective, suspenseful scenes that you make you be on the edge-of-your-seat.
  24. Mar 5, 2014
    This great, very nice and the composition is almost epic John Williams. But time was boring and there was more action adventure, a detail that does not fit in this movie. I actually like the music more than the plot. This is what I think of this work.
  25. Jan 20, 2014
    Jurassic Park is one of those films that you must have seen when first released (in theaters and home video) in order to really enjoy it. I just watched it for the first time and I just didn't care for it. It's took far to long to get the least bit interesting and even then it never really picks up.
  26. Nov 9, 2013
    A true techno-thriller of dazzling special effects, vividly detailed plot elements, and a social allegory of how human greed need not be tempted by the prospects of science. 'Jurassic Park' is groundbreaking in CGI and proves Michael Crichton can turn even the most convoluted ideas into believable achievements. Though not as deep as the novel, it fairs well enough to be called faithful.
  27. Sep 19, 2013
    Jurassic Park holds up surprisingly well to this day. It may not be the deepest or best written movie ever made, but it's one of the most thrilling. Spielberg is a master of creating tension and incredible set-pieces. Most of the visual effects are still adequate, which is incredible for a movie made in 1993. If a visual effects film holds up like that after 20 years there's a goodJurassic Park holds up surprisingly well to this day. It may not be the deepest or best written movie ever made, but it's one of the most thrilling. Spielberg is a master of creating tension and incredible set-pieces. Most of the visual effects are still adequate, which is incredible for a movie made in 1993. If a visual effects film holds up like that after 20 years there's a good chance it may never be completely antiquated. The script can be somewhat clunky at times however. It's not a bad script, just somewhat lacking when compared to something like The Truman Show or Inception. It's still more than functional for a monster movie, and the main characters are thankfully likeable if somewhat needing of more complex characterization. It's not perfect, but it's an extremely memorable and sometimes exhilarating action film that has deservedly gone down as a benchmark in movie history. Expand
  28. Sep 16, 2013
    A great dinosaur movie to keep the kids up all night, it has a little something for the older ones; a story. Unlike some other monster movie, this one actually goes into some character development and has some great special effects for the year it came out.
  29. Aug 17, 2013
    Jurassic Park is an epic adventure fantasy film. It has everything that the audience wants action, suspense,some humor and a little violence as there are dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are really amazing as the technology was not that developed when Jurassic Park came out. The actors are really good, especially the two kids and it has a lot of suspense. I thought it wouldn't have so much bloodJurassic Park is an epic adventure fantasy film. It has everything that the audience wants action, suspense,some humor and a little violence as there are dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are really amazing as the technology was not that developed when Jurassic Park came out. The actors are really good, especially the two kids and it has a lot of suspense. I thought it wouldn't have so much blood and violence as I thought it was a PG movie, but I don't have these kind of problems. Jurassic park is epic and haters gonna hate. I was hesitating at first because I don't like dinosaurs and stuff but Jurassic Park amazed me and it is a classic one. A must-watch. Best film with dinosaurs for sure! Expand
  30. Jul 18, 2013
    Jurassic Park packs in thrill, suspense, amazing visuals, great music and sensational acting all under the direct assurance of Steven Spielberg. This film triumphs in every major category. It is one of the greatest films of all time. A sensational classical monument of film history. Spielberg triumphs again!

1. All the imagination and effort (including 18 months of pre-production) that went into making the dinosaurs state-of-the-art exciting apparently left no time to make the people similarly believable or involving. In fact, when the big guys leave the screen, you'll be tempted to leave the theater with them. [11 June 1993, Calendar, p.F-1]
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    For dinosaurs to rule the earth again, the monsters needed majesty as well as menace. And Spielberg got it all right. [14 June 1993, p.69]
  3. The results make poor old King Kong look like something from a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Such is progress. [12 July 1993, p.26]