Jurassic Park

8.7

1. Feb 21, 2012
    As a wide-eyed 13 yr old boy gripping the theater armrests with white knuckles, I remember this film rewiring my brain as I watched it. I walked out a changed person, never to view movies the same way again. The good ones... the truly special ones... aren't just something to watch. They transport you to another world. They take you away and cleanse you of the drudgery of reality. TheyAs a wide-eyed 13 yr old boy gripping the theater armrests with white knuckles, I remember this film rewiring my brain as I watched it. I walked out a changed person, never to view movies the same way again. The good ones... the truly special ones... aren't just something to watch. They transport you to another world. They take you away and cleanse you of the drudgery of reality. They nestle into your memory and never leave. Jurassic Park was the first film to affect me in this way and I'll never forget that feeling. Much obliged, Mr. Spielberg! Collapse
  2. Jun 1, 2012
    Everytime I hear low rumbling of thunder off in the distance....I think of a t-rex outside my house because of this movie.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    With a great cast, wonderful story, and unforgettably stunning soundtrack, "Jurassic Park" does not disappoint. Truly brilliant filmmaking here.
  4. Aug 25, 2015
    Steven Spielberg's "Jurassic Park" is a simply astonishing masterpiece, with an excellent cast, plot, and moreover visuals that exceeds any other of its era.
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    Jurassic Park holds up surprisingly well to this day. It may not be the deepest or best written movie ever made, but it's one of the most thrilling. Spielberg is a master of creating tension and incredible set-pieces. Most of the visual effects are still adequate, which is incredible for a movie made in 1993. If a visual effects film holds up like that after 20 years there's a goodJurassic Park holds up surprisingly well to this day. It may not be the deepest or best written movie ever made, but it's one of the most thrilling. Spielberg is a master of creating tension and incredible set-pieces. Most of the visual effects are still adequate, which is incredible for a movie made in 1993. If a visual effects film holds up like that after 20 years there's a good chance it may never be completely antiquated. The script can be somewhat clunky at times however. It's not a bad script, just somewhat lacking when compared to something like The Truman Show or Inception. It's still more than functional for a monster movie, and the main characters are thankfully likeable if somewhat needing of more complex characterization. It's not perfect, but it's an extremely memorable and sometimes exhilarating action film that has deservedly gone down as a benchmark in movie history. Expand
  6. JoyceC.
    Oct 6, 2007
    It makes sense, and I am on Ian Malcolm's side of opinion of the island creation. i am astonished by how amazing the movie was.
  7. GordoA.
    Mar 21, 2004
    This is just an excellent movie. Thats all I have to say.
  8. MarshallM.
    Nov 25, 2005
    Its an amazing science fiction film. one of speilbers most spellbinding works.
  9. RonC.
    Nov 18, 2007
    This is truely my favorite movie of all time.
  10. AndrewM
    Nov 21, 2004
    Jurassic Park is an incredibly effective film - a fact received not without astonishment, considering the weak elements it intermittently displays! For the purist, I am sure, JP is heavily laden with gaping 'logic-holes' and more than a couple of unexplained plot irregularities. But none of this really matters... Put succinctly, this is one hell of an action-thriller. A Jurassic Park is an incredibly effective film - a fact received not without astonishment, considering the weak elements it intermittently displays! For the purist, I am sure, JP is heavily laden with gaping 'logic-holes' and more than a couple of unexplained plot irregularities. But none of this really matters... Put succinctly, this is one hell of an action-thriller. A fantastic story filled with mind-blowing effects and generally credible characters. On a sidenote, I just don't know how so many kids sat through this film...I am well into adulthood (not necessarily maturity) but when T.Rex first attacked I might as well have been five again...I s..t myself! This is a great adventure film with plenty of thrills and chills - and just the right dosage of comedic relief, especially from the brilliant Jeff Goldblum. It has its share of faults, no doubt - but rarely have weaknesses been so negligible. A must see. Expand
  11. Jun 18, 2013
    most inspirational and exciting movie in my childhood.One of the most iconic movies of all time.A flawless masterpiece of a very rare kind.The real life looking dinosaurs are the greatest triumph for Spielberg in his long impressive filming career.One of the most memorable movies of all time.
  12. Aug 17, 2013
    Jurassic Park is an epic adventure fantasy film. It has everything that the audience wants action, suspense,some humor and a little violence as there are dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are really amazing as the technology was not that developed when Jurassic Park came out. The actors are really good, especially the two kids and it has a lot of suspense. I thought it wouldn't have so much bloodJurassic Park is an epic adventure fantasy film. It has everything that the audience wants action, suspense,some humor and a little violence as there are dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are really amazing as the technology was not that developed when Jurassic Park came out. The actors are really good, especially the two kids and it has a lot of suspense. I thought it wouldn't have so much blood and violence as I thought it was a PG movie, but I don't have these kind of problems. Jurassic park is epic and haters gonna hate. I was hesitating at first because I don't like dinosaurs and stuff but Jurassic Park amazed me and it is a classic one. A must-watch. Best film with dinosaurs for sure! Expand
  13. Jan 14, 2015
    Watching this movie for the first time as an adult, I was completely amazed by how good it was--I always assumed it must be overhyped, but it completely deserves its reputation as a classic. The pacing is perfect, with a long, slow-burn lead-up to the scary dinosaur scenes we all know are coming. The special effects hold up amazingly well more than 20 years later--they manage to avoidWatching this movie for the first time as an adult, I was completely amazed by how good it was--I always assumed it must be overhyped, but it completely deserves its reputation as a classic. The pacing is perfect, with a long, slow-burn lead-up to the scary dinosaur scenes we all know are coming. The special effects hold up amazingly well more than 20 years later--they manage to avoid the kitschy funniness of most outdated effects. This is a wonderfully enjoyable movie that I'll definitely be watching again. Expand
  14. Jul 18, 2015
    Even after 20-something years, Steven Spielberg's 'Jurassic Park' is still an incredible blockbuster, filled with gorgeous visual effects that still hold up today.

The movie focuses on a park that was created by John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), who, as author Michael Cricheton described as a "dark Walt Disney" and three experts, played by Sam Neil, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum respectively explore the park, and then run into some consequences.

The movie mostly focuses on Sam Neil's character, Alan, saving John Hammond's grandson and granddaughter from the gigantic T-Rex throughout the entire movie.

What this movie is very good at is suspense and Spielberg uses it effectively. One scene that stands out the most is when the characters are in the cars and the grandson, Tim, hears thudding from a distance. He looks at the glasses of water on the dashboard and sees them shaking, and we get a close-up shot of this as it happens for a while. This is obviously a sign that a dinosaur is approaching and Spielberg is good at putting the audience on edge.

I guess the movie's only flaw would be the way the human characters are used throughout the film. The dinosaurs are the main stars here, and by "dinosaurs" I mean the special effects, which still look terrific. The human characters are there to make the dinosaurs look even scarier to the audience by looking up in awe and/or fear and screaming to the top of their lungs. Spielberg doesn't use many surprises to show us the dinosaurs as we see them early and throughout the duration of the film, so to keep them looking scary, make the human characters look even smaller and make them scream, this is not a gimmick, but it's a tiny flaw.

Other than this, you get great looking dinosaurs, great suspense and a great time at the movies filled with some neat action and some touching moments. 'Jurassic Park' is a joy to behold.
  15. May 26, 2011
    One of the best movies ever made, and a movie that has a special place in my heart. Honestly, I believe this movie should've won best picture at the Oscars, not Schindler's List.
  16. Dec 27, 2010
    A definite thrill ride and an experience of a lifetime. This movie might not have gotten all of the praise that Jaws got but it was this movie, alongside with the original Star Wars movies, that really created a whole new world for CGI characters and helped define the skill that a movie crew can possess. My favorite movie of all time and the one movie that will never get old.
  17. Sep 2, 2012
    A classic in itself. No movie made of dinosaurs has been more mesmerizing and dazzling. The score is sensational. It is one of those movies that transcends not only its genre but for all movies.
  18. Allison
    Aug 12, 2005
    Simply wonderful. Mr. Spielberg made me believe that dinosaurs still walked the Earth. This is a must see film with chills and thrills galore.
  19. May 24, 2015
    Brilliant! I loved it! The cgi-especially for 1993-was fantastic! Abslolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Antti
    Mar 24, 2008
    Very generic action film with novelty effects. watchable once, but mostly boring.
  21. EricJ
    Jan 1, 2008
    The most overrated movie of all time.
  22. BlancoA.
    Apr 7, 2003
    I expected SO MUCH MORE from this movie, and just didn't get it. Everyone who had read the book was talking up the intellectual inquiry of the subject matter, the interesting characters and the like. The film was nothing more than a special effects showcase, and not a terribly good one, IMHO. VERY forgettable stuff.
  23. Jul 31, 2011
    this is a boss like movie cuz it diosours and panads!
  24. Sep 20, 2011
    The main problem I had with jurassic park is that it doesn't live up to the incredibly high calibre of the cast and crew. Actors like sam neill and samuel l jackson are stuck in a simplistic action film with not much going for it. Don't get me wrong, steven spielberg brings his directing flair elevating this above your average monster film but the sub par script doesn't allow for characterThe main problem I had with jurassic park is that it doesn't live up to the incredibly high calibre of the cast and crew. Actors like sam neill and samuel l jackson are stuck in a simplistic action film with not much going for it. Don't get me wrong, steven spielberg brings his directing flair elevating this above your average monster film but the sub par script doesn't allow for character development with wayne knights character being a laughably stupid character. For that matter its nice to see that spielberg sticks to the convention that all characters in a monster movie are remarkably dumb. Overall the movie can provide long moments of tension and some great set pieces but not much else. Expand
  25. Mar 20, 2014
    ( ALL ENTERTAINMENT)
    ( ALL ENTERTAINMENT)
    Here's the thing about the first Jurassic Park film. It's a very slow pace movie. Once the movie gets going then it's good. But for awhile it drags. The effects are extremely well done. The storyline is amazing. Everything was on key including the cinematography. I have to give it a score of 4 out of 10 though because the beginning is extremely slow. But other than that, it was amazing.

By: Bailey (A Film Critic/Entertainment journal writer)
  26. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review/retrospective of the recent 3D re-release of "Jurassic Park" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/jurassic-park-3d.html
  27. Jun 12, 2015
    The masterpiece Jurassic Park is a terrifying yet entertaining venture into the world of dinosaurs without ignoring the complexities of its characters and creatures alike.
  28. May 11, 2015
    Jurassic Park is a masterpiece. It is an achievement. One of the greatest achievements in cinema history. Jurassic Park is one of the best family film out there. You can enjoy this movie any time. I love this movie so much.
  29. Jun 22, 2015
    Definitely a bit overrated, but still watchable. The movie was boring and slow but finally caught up to all the hype. It's worth watching if you just want to see crazy dinosaurs killing humans in gruesome ways.
    Sep 11, 2005
    I have a special bond with his movie. Jurassic park was the first movie i ever saw in a Theater, and what a way to start off! Good CGI, but the characters have Hollywood entertainment flowing through them, adding energy to what would've been a by-the-numbers flick. Good editing, too. The sequels aren't outright bad, kinda like ID4 with dinos, but they don't have the solid I have a special bond with his movie. Jurassic park was the first movie i ever saw in a Theater, and what a way to start off! Good CGI, but the characters have Hollywood entertainment flowing through them, adding energy to what would've been a by-the-numbers flick. Good editing, too. The sequels aren't outright bad, kinda like ID4 with dinos, but they don't have the solid structure of this one. The Lost World is open for anyone who can't get enough dino, and thought the original didn't give em enough. Jurassic Park Three is Lost world Lite, but still entertaining, with even better CGI and a certain dumb charm. Hope the fourth shows a return to form. Expand

1. Los Angeles Times
    Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    All the imagination and effort (including 18 months of pre-production) that went into making the dinosaurs state-of-the-art exciting apparently left no time to make the people similarly believable or involving. In fact, when the big guys leave the screen, you'll be tempted to leave the theater with them. [11 June 1993, Calendar, p.F-1]
  2. Time
    Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    For dinosaurs to rule the earth again, the monsters needed majesty as well as menace. And Spielberg got it all right. [14 June 1993, p.69]
  3. The New Republic
    Reviewed by: Stanley Kauffmann
    The results make poor old King Kong look like something from a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Such is progress. [12 July 1993, p.26]