K-PAX

7.1

1. Aug 6, 2015
    Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges - who portray the two main characters in the story - are two of the most skillful film actors now living. Bridges plays Dr. Mark Preston, the chief psychiatrist at a Manhattan Psychiatric Institute where people exhibiting unusual behaviors are studied, diagnosed, and treated for mental illness if their behavior indicates that they may be suffering from one orKevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges - who portray the two main characters in the story - are two of the most skillful film actors now living. Bridges plays Dr. Mark Preston, the chief psychiatrist at a Manhattan Psychiatric Institute where people exhibiting unusual behaviors are studied, diagnosed, and treated for mental illness if their behavior indicates that they may be suffering from one or another mental disorder. Spacey plays one of those people The film follows the evolution of the relationship between the two men as it develops. Expand
  2. Feb 9, 2013
    some of the lines spoken in this movie have such a deep core, mediocore magazines shown on this website just cant understand it is a breathtaking and expanding movie to sit through, simply wonderful! theres nothing left but a 10
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    It's not a masterpiece, but its lighted subtle criticism over our nowadays frantic society based on consumption and production, giving pause and importance to humanitarianism by rolling the family as the Aristotelian representation of The nuclear cell of A social structure, makes worth the time spent watching it. If, the art of films represents the inner reflection of a positive potentialIt's not a masterpiece, but its lighted subtle criticism over our nowadays frantic society based on consumption and production, giving pause and importance to humanitarianism by rolling the family as the Aristotelian representation of The nuclear cell of A social structure, makes worth the time spent watching it. If, the art of films represents the inner reflection of a positive potential changing of our own lives and attitude towards it: to live in community highlighting the paradigm person versus object. If not, just a neo-formula of spicing movies with philosophical powder as the new wave of profiting from the ideological needs of the audience like pills to evade from the modern urban depression reflecting a society hunger of rational values. Expand
  4. Mar 4, 2011
    I watched this whole movie, right up to the end. I was pretty sure I knew what it would be but it just dragged on so long I had to change the channel. Who cared at that point.
  5. Jan 19, 2011
    Sorry for the translation. Thank you. 42nd St. New York, Grand Central Station, ext. Freddy, paraplegic beggar frequent the place is seduced by a beam of light from the large side windows. They spend a few moments and a short distance, he finds himself in front of the figure of a man of singular. E 'Prot (Kevin Spacey) who, quietly and starts to move small steps going towards him.Sorry for the translation. Thank you. 42nd St. New York, Grand Central Station, ext. Freddy, paraplegic beggar frequent the place is seduced by a beam of light from the large side windows. They spend a few moments and a short distance, he finds himself in front of the figure of a man of singular. E 'Prot (Kevin Spacey) who, quietly and starts to move small steps going towards him. Simultaneously an 'old woman victim of assault, falls to the ground. "The man came out of nothing" comes to her to help her up, spoke to the police. Immediately cleared of the charge of assault victim who is scared by Freddy from 'However, little persuasive answers to the police officer who asks for information about its origin. Prot, is' not a clear understanding of the Earth. Thus begins the journey to its new home, the "Psychiatric Institute of Manhattan" motivation "mentally disturbed person." After a month, Further in this institute asked the expert to be dot. Mark Powell (Jeff Bridges), why? Why all the investigations, have failed because of Thorazine 300 mg daily for 3 weeks did not elicit any reaction. How is this possible? Who is this man really, what is its mission, meaning that they take the notes, because since joining the institute in all other patients there is a positive evolution of their disease? And yet, Prot astronomical knowledge outside of the town, talk of energy efficient configurations, classifies the planet Earth a class BA-3 early stage of evolution, the future uncertain. The tests carried out was also sensitive to white light, can perceive up to a wavelength of 300/400 Armstrong, ultraviolet rays. Dr. Mark initially intrigued, then "taken" totally from this patient who claims to come from a planet called K-Pax belonging to the constellation of Lyra. Can that be true? Mark asks the brother of astrophysical interest in the case. The hopes that the psychotic is more convincing that ever happened. " In the following days is accompanied by Mark Prot in a planetarium and the presence of four experts from astrophysicists' is not only a test of his knowledge, drawing ellipses, calculating time speed, speaking of energy existing in a beam of light, writing formulas and concludes the impromptu conference saying: "I assume this will help to explain the disruption to you slaved in the rotation scheme of your binary stars, but you have not been able to understand ... until this moment." The dot. Mark is at a crossroads. Want to let go as the manager of the Dr. Claudia Villars (Alfre Voodard) transferring the patient to another department or speak with regressive hypnosis? And what are the risks to Prot? Film immersive thanks to the skill of the two main characters, the screenplay by Charles Leavitt and directed by Iain Softley noticed. Music by Edward Shearmur, gradually leads the viewer to enter a world, the human mind, as charming as a starry sky. Collapse
  6. Aug 27, 2010
    A very well-thought out movie that unfortunately offers very little kick. Still, the saving grace here is Kevin Spacey, who as always churns out a performance worth remembering.
  7. ChuckN
    Oct 3, 2009
    This movie is the best I've seen in a while. It really made me THINK, instead of all those horrible action/car/romance movies that's just full of stereotypical bull crap. I loved this work of art, and no review can take that away from me.
  8. Andrew
    Jan 10, 2007
    Very good apart from the ending. However you can not deny that he was from k-pax. Bridges stated that for one way to prove was to use the hypnosis. Prot, while under hypnosis, says when he was a young boy that he was from k-pax. Also at the observatory nobody on earth could have done what he did, I see that as proof.
  9. tomw.
    Dec 21, 2006
    So many little things that you can look back on and make a case for Spacey being from Kpax, while the overwhelming psychological evidence points squarely at multiple personality disorder. Anyone with an imagination will like it, acting is excellent to boot.
  10. ErwinK.
    Dec 9, 2006
    Tiresome new-age sentimentalism. Director and scriptwriter should shot. Spacey eating a raw banana was about the only interesting thing in the whole movie.
  11. Joris
    Aug 7, 2006
    Wtf? Critics have gone mad again I guess. This is one of the better movies released in the last 5 years, egts you from the very first second till the very very last... Spacey's stellar acting is one of the better performances I've seen lately too!
  12. MeganR.
    Jun 7, 2004
    I felt this movie was very interesting. I believe that Port was an alien that was transposed into humans bodies at times. He had these memories b/c the body he was in had these memories. When he left to go back home, he transposed himself into her body and left the old one in a catatonic state. This is why no one in the hospital recognized him as Port, becuase Port was gone.
  13. FlorianB.
    Mar 24, 2004
    It's very good. Why? Because everybody have a problem,and if you have a problem you will escape. Escape from the reality to K-pax,which is in your mind. But who knows? Maybe it's not just your fantasy... Have a god day.
  14. KathleenH.
    Mar 11, 2004
    As an abnormal psychology student, I found this movie to be intriguiging. The psychological theories and the movie leave much to be uncertain about. Is Prot from another planet? Is he simply Robert Porter, and using a form of catatonic schizophrenia? How do you explain his childish voice under hypnosis...I believe he is schizophrenic and the reason medications don't work is because As an abnormal psychology student, I found this movie to be intriguiging. The psychological theories and the movie leave much to be uncertain about. Is Prot from another planet? Is he simply Robert Porter, and using a form of catatonic schizophrenia? How do you explain his childish voice under hypnosis...I believe he is schizophrenic and the reason medications don't work is because during a catatonic schizophrenic stage, they will not have the effect they usually have. Expand
  15. PatC.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Earth to K-PAX: Thanks for transmitting program. Skip in signal - received wrong ending. Please send correct one - several of us are confused and scared.
  16. S.J.
    Nov 21, 2002
    Just pretty laughable the way "Portland Oregonian" give a 2 for this movie, saying "Just pass on K-PAX." then giving a 7 to Queen of the damned which is the crapiest movie ever just behind scary movie. People just forgot the meaning of a "commedy" movie. The concept of this movie is just neat, the actors are great, the music is awesome. And I wonder how come that some chronicle Just pretty laughable the way "Portland Oregonian" give a 2 for this movie, saying "Just pass on K-PAX." then giving a 7 to Queen of the damned which is the crapiest movie ever just behind scary movie. People just forgot the meaning of a "commedy" movie. The concept of this movie is just neat, the actors are great, the music is awesome. And I wonder how come that some chronicle aren't ashamed of their well developed critic with a "Just pass on K-PAX" without even one explaination. This movie has been sadly underestimated. Expand
  17. AdamE.
    Nov 20, 2002
    A beautifully done film where Spacey plays the best performance of his acting carreer. Bridges is very good too but when I saw it I kept thinking one thing:"STARMAN".
  18. Jen
    Nov 10, 2002
    It was really captivating, but it would have been better if there was just a little more closure.
  19. CharlyB.
    Oct 29, 2002
    Being a current patient of the mental health services I loved this film as Dr Powel tried to fight for Prot to be worked with and understood rather than just drugged up. It was a clever and acurate portrayal of the way psychiatry is all to egar to label what it does not understand as insane.
  20. BenS.
    Apr 13, 2002
    Fantastic Acting. I just purchased the DVD, and I prefer the alternate ending myself.
  21. RichP.
    Mar 29, 2002
    We thought kpax was a thoughtful, engrossing, and well-acted movie. My 9 year old son enjoyed it as well as the adults. The dog scene is hilarious. Kevin Spacey is extremely likeable. I wanted to go back to Kpax with him, myself. I highly recommend kpax for a good story, and characters you will care about.
  22. GabeT.
    Mar 27, 2002
    The problem with Hollywood is not bad films. It's contently middle-of-the-road flicks like "K-Pax," a movie so smug it dares us to guit ourselves because we, unlike mental patients, do not SEE the world. Kevin Spcaey and Jeff Bridges, apparently aware the material is kooky, walk through.
  23. JulienR.
    Dec 18, 2001
    This movie is dazzling and at the same time a suspicious movie. This movie is great, although I gave it a 7 because Kevin's usual smugness, and also because the terrible and disastrous ending.
  24. EdW.
    Nov 13, 2001
    Underrated film that will resonate with audiences but generally underwhelm the critics. It's a mind adventure where the moviegoer is taken from the outside in. And although the world where Prot (Spacey) comes from would terrify most of us, the place eludes our fears in this film. Sounds new-agey, but it's not. It's just hard to descibe without giving it away. For me this Underrated film that will resonate with audiences but generally underwhelm the critics. It's a mind adventure where the moviegoer is taken from the outside in. And although the world where Prot (Spacey) comes from would terrify most of us, the place eludes our fears in this film. Sounds new-agey, but it's not. It's just hard to descibe without giving it away. For me this story is the flipside of the E.T. fantasy. Expand
  25. Michael
    Nov 10, 2001
    Just saw this movie. Sure was sappy in parts. I do enjoy Spacey quite a bit, but here he seemed to be relishing too much his usual smugness. The good is how the story toys with the central issue of whether Prot is human. The bad I would have to assume is the director's fault. Much too obvious for my taste. Not unhappy to have seen it, but could have waited for video, for sure.
  26. Cy
    Nov 4, 2001
    I loved this movie.
  27. KarlyS.
    Nov 3, 2001
    Spacey, once again, is unparalleled, and it's a good story. It's not about how believeable extraterrestrial life is... it's about getting you to think about your own life.
  28. JesseS.
    Oct 31, 2001
    What a disastrous ending!
  29. ClausC.
    Oct 29, 2001
    Perfect timing for a well acted feelgood story. Forget the outside world for 2 hours and smile laugh and cry of joy......Oscar contender.
  30. BeccaO.
    Oct 29, 2001
    I just saw this movie and can't wait to see again.
  31. Greg
    Oct 28, 2001
    I saw the movie K-PAX on October 9th at a special previewing of the movie and I was absolutely enthralled by its genius. It had an amazing way of making you think about life and how we relate with each other in our vast universe. The movie was one of the best "thinker" movies I have ever experienced, and I certainly plan on seeing it again! I think this movie is of Academy Award caliber. I saw the movie K-PAX on October 9th at a special previewing of the movie and I was absolutely enthralled by its genius. It had an amazing way of making you think about life and how we relate with each other in our vast universe. The movie was one of the best "thinker" movies I have ever experienced, and I certainly plan on seeing it again! I think this movie is of Academy Award caliber. Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges, as well as the rest of the characters, created a masterful ensemble. Kevin Spacey did a fantastic job of portraying the role of such an innocent and omniscient being. I recommend this movie to everyone because it has a heartwarming ending that really makes you ponder on life as we know it and how we should appreciate every moment of it. Expand
  32. BillG.
    Oct 27, 2001
    An easy fun film with excellent acting, a good screen play. Spacey and Bridges make it work. Enjoyable with minor flaws.

1. In short, this movie is exactly the kind of starry-eyed escapist fantasy that Dr. Powell suspects Prot of having. It's harmless enough, since we can be cured just by leaving the theater.
  2. A pleasant enough entertainment raised above its station by the quality of its acting.
  3. When Kevin Spacey takes center stage, our planet really does seem bright.